Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  00:13:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the loss of that route does not necessarily mean she will loose levels...
but then i dont agree with loosing levels.

but id definitly say master infiltrator myself.
rogue 10/ MI 5

cant look up owers and feats though, although some of them are still around in 4e from 3.5, like alertness....

you know get Tom to do it, do one of both, and do a poll on it to see which does better amongst the fans.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  00:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Well, I'm sorta thinking the transition between editions offers me an excuse to build her at a lower level.

Don't get me wrong or misunderstand: I loved her 3.5 build, but she was only that high in level because she needed to be to have all the powers she had in the books. We went to a good deal of effort to qualify for her prestige classes at the minimum level (both skill ranks and feats wise). If I could have managed it, she'd have been like 8th-10th level. The other characters in tGT and Depths are about that level, and she's about comparable.

And, at CR 16-17, she could measure up comparably in a duel with Drizzt (or even win), and I suspect he could take her apart without too much difficulty.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  18:34:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Well, I'm sorta thinking the transition between editions offers me an excuse to build her at a lower level.

Don't get me wrong or misunderstand: I loved her 3.5 build, but she was only that high in level because she needed to be to have all the powers she had in the books. We went to a good deal of effort to qualify for her prestige classes at the minimum level (both skill ranks and feats wise). If I could have managed it, she'd have been like 8th-10th level. The other characters in tGT and Depths are about that level, and she's about comparable.

And, at CR 16-17, she could measure up comparably in a duel with Drizzt (or even win), and I suspect he could take her apart without too much difficulty.

Cheers

I am cool with where she is, it is D who is under-leveled. To do some stuff he does he should be almost a Demi-god. So I like her where you guys have her now!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  18:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess we'll see what she looks like in 4e FR--if she shows up at all!

I'm glad to see people interested, though. That's what makes things happen--speculation about the character, positive reviews on the web, etc., etc. If enough people clamor for any given character, that character's like to show up again and again.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  03:43:36  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess we'll see what she looks like in 4e FR--if she shows up at all!

I'm glad to see people interested, though. That's what makes things happen--speculation about the character, positive reviews on the web, etc., etc. If enough people clamor for any given character, that character's like to show up again and again.

Cheers

I am clamoring

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  21:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

If enough people clamor for any given character, that character's like to show up again and again.

I am clamoring

Good to hear it! I hope you'll not be disappointed.

In the meantime, the more people read her and talk about her (hint hint--tell your friends!), the better.

I would certainly love to write more about her--and trust me. I have stuff to reveal about her that is liquid awesome.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  15:16:07  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

With the way you write a kick ass fight scene, I would love to see you take on a good ole slug fest with some heavy Magic going back at forth at each other. I think that you would do a battle of spells much differently than any other FR writer and would love to see you tackle a few. Any chance we may get a shot to see you take on something like that?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  15:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Any chance we may get a shot to see you take on something like that?

Thank you for the praise and . . . well, perhaps.

The stories I've thus far told have not been big into the high-octane magic end of things. The end of Ghostwalker has some powerful magic floating around and Gestal pulls off some mighty spells in Depths, but I've thus far leaned more toward the melee end of things. Generally speaking, though, if I were to do magical battle, then you'd better believe that it would hurt. A lot.

Who knows? Maybe my current WiPs will change my previous trend . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  16:39:26  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Any chance we may get a shot to see you take on something like that?

Thank you for the praise and . . . well, perhaps.

The stories I've thus far told have not been big into the high-octane magic end of things. The end of Ghostwalker has some powerful magic floating around and Gestal pulls off some mighty spells in Depths, but I've thus far leaned more toward the melee end of things.
Yeah that was good, but he didn't have to dodge any heavy duty stuff coming back at him. I am envisioning Walkers beautilful battle with Torlic (or was it Talathiel), that type of detail and elegance balanced with strength...but with spells!!
quote:
Generally speaking, though, if I were to do magical battle, then you'd better believe that it would hurt. A lot.
Those were my thoughts, I really hope we get to see that out of you at some point!
quote:

Who knows? Maybe my current WiPs will change my previous trend . . .

Cheers

Sorry to seem obtuse old chap, but what the bloody hell is "WiPs"

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  16:48:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to seem obtuse old chap, but what the bloody hell is "WiPs"

Women in Pantaloons?

Wombats in Purple?

Wallabies in Pittsburgh?

Weeds in Planters?

Hmmm... It could be any of those, I suppose, though Work in Progress is the one I'll assume it is.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Jul 2008 16:49:22
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  19:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It could be any of those, I suppose, though Work in Progress is the one I'll assume it is.

That's the one, guv'nuh.

Though I was rather fond of wallabies in pittsburgh.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  19:40:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It could be any of those, I suppose, though Work in Progress is the one I'll assume it is.

That's the one, guv'nuh.

Though I was rather fond of wallabies in pittsburgh.

Cheers

How many WiPs do you have cookin' ?

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  19:47:35  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wounds in posteriors?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  21:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Wounds in posteriors?

Oh, that's much better than the ones I came up with!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How many WiPs do you have cookin' ?

One that's being edited (that's about 95% out of my hands), one being test-read (pending edits for me), one I'm about 70% done with the first draft (that's my *main* WiP at the moment), one I'm about 10% done with the first draft, and a couple projects I've got in the planning stages. And the comic book I'm cooking up.

So I guess that means . . . seven? Seven.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  22:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A comic book? Wow, good luck with that! And all your other stuff too, of course.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:17:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And the comic book I'm cooking up.
A comic book? Neat. What can you tell us about it?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:39:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

New idea I came up with the other day. And when I saw "came up with," I mean struck me full-fledged, fully-articulated, when I was in the shower (where I do my best thinking).

But this of course has nothing to do with the Realms. (Though I still hold out hope that I might get in on one of those Devil's Due comics that are so cool.)

Cheers

P.S. Toying with the name "Lady Vengeance" as a working title. Thoughts?

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:49:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

New idea I came up with the other day. And when I saw "came up with," I mean struck me full-fledged, fully-articulated, when I was in the shower (where I do my best thinking).

But this of course has nothing to do with the Realms. (Though I still hold out hope that I might get in on one of those Devil's Due comics that are so cool.)

Cheers

Interesting. Keep us posted.

Oh yes, and good to know you shower

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  02:06:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh. I do my best thinking just before bed.
quote:
Hmmm... I'd have to know a little more about your idea. When I first think "Lady Vengeance," only one image comes to mind. That of an irrate Lady K after she discovers that I used one of her EBERRON novels as a doorstop.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  02:43:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Heh. I do my best thinking just before bed.
quote:
Hmmm... I'd have to know a little more about your idea. When I first think "Lady Vengeance," only one image comes to mind. That of an irrate Lady K after she discovers that I used one of her EBERRON novels as a doorstop.

Seems she should be happy that found a second life for something that could have been composted!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  05:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seems she should be happy that found a second life for something that could have [CENSORED]!

Hey, hey! I'm a small-time admirer of Eberron (or at least certain facets of it, and not the least of which because one of my favorite PCs ever comes from an Eberron game) and at least a casual acquaintence of Keith Baker himself (who is a very nice fellow).

Doesn't take away from my love for the Realms--it's just a different setting. Though I admire certain of the parallels (apparent because they're two settings built as vehicles for the same game), comparing the two is like comparing . . . wallabies and pittsburgh.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  06:42:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey, hey! I'm a small-time admirer of Eberron (or at least certain facets of it...
Can you elaborate a little on those facets, Erik?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  06:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, for one thing, I like the noir-ish/pulpy/mystery feel that some fantasy has, and that requires a setting more like Eberron than the Realms (where you can certainly do *intrigue,* but it isn't the same sort of thing--Realms murder mysteries aren't the same as, say, Eb murder mysteries). Eberron lends itself to those sorts of stories.

Not to say that all (or even most) Eberron fiction does this--I've only read one Eb book--but the games I've played in the setting have had DMs who definitely went that direction (myself being one of them).

I also like the dragonmarks. A hereditary mark of magic upon a bloodline--that's just cool stuff.

Also, I really like lightning trains and air-ships. I'm a final fantasy fan--what can I say?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  12:20:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Seems she should be happy that found a second life for something that could have [CENSORED]!

Hey, hey! I'm a small-time admirer of Eberron (or at least certain facets of it, and not the least of which because one of my favorite PCs ever comes from an Eberron game) and at least a casual acquaintence of Keith Baker himself (who is a very nice fellow).

Doesn't take away from my love for the Realms--it's just a different setting. Though I admire certain of the parallels (apparent because they're two settings built as vehicles for the same game), comparing the two is like comparing . . . wallabies and pittsburgh.

Cheers

I was not commenting on the quality of the book or the setting(as I know zero about them), I just meant if you grabbed it up for that, you could have just as easily tossed it out!!

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  15:32:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, for one thing, I like the noir-ish/pulpy/mystery feel that some fantasy has, and that requires a setting more like Eberron than the Realms (where you can certainly do *intrigue,* but it isn't the same sort of thing--Realms murder mysteries aren't the same as, say, Eb murder mysteries). Eberron lends itself to those sorts of stories.

Not to say that all (or even most) Eberron fiction does this--I've only read one Eb book--but the games I've played in the setting have had DMs who definitely went that direction (myself being one of them).

I also like the dragonmarks. A hereditary mark of magic upon a bloodline--that's just cool stuff.

Also, I really like lightning trains and air-ships. I'm a final fantasy fan--what can I say?

Cheers

You´re a Final Fantasy fan? I can say that you have a nice taste for e-rpgs!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  15:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just meant if you grabbed it up for that, you could have just as easily tossed it out!!

Oh, ha, I see now!

Yes, reduce, *reuse*, and recycle. I heartily approve. Though I've personally found that books by Martin or the late Robert Jordan make better doorstops--not to comment at all on the quality, but only on the sheer volume.

quote:
You´re a Final Fantasy fan? I can say that you have a nice taste for e-rpgs!

Some of them anyway, indeed. Also really enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games. Never really played NWN, though I've heard good things.

As for MMOs, well, Everquest I could do, but most multiplayer RPGs (like WoW and AoC) seem too complex to me, and I never really liked the concept of competing against other *people* . . . most of whom would be far, far better than me (being able to spend more time practicing, just being more into it, etc). I like co-op or going solo, not PvP (unless I'm the DM).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  16:56:05  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, ha, I see now!

Yes, reduce, *reuse*, and recycle. I heartily approve. Though I've personally found that books by Martin or the late Robert Jordan make better doorstops--not to comment at all on the quality, but only on the sheer volume.
I intend to finally finish the Wheel of Time when the last one is finally published posthumously.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  21:24:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congatulations on the upcoming nuptuals!! The 26th is almost here, 3 or 4 weeks you have in store for yourself, Wedding, Honeymoon then GenCon.
The Mrs. and I are coming up on or 14th anniversary and both agree the first year was easy and 2 thru 5 were the toughest, everything afterthat has been easy! So with your what 10 year engagement you guys should have nothing but fun in store for you!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  23:25:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the Victorian engagement has paved through most of our rough spots. Made sure we really, really wanted to get married.

Though of course I knew all along, naturally. Says so in my book.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000