Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 64

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  01:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Owing to the quality of your DoM-related post in the Sex and the Realms, Sage . . . sometimes I think you know my book more than I do. Like I was writing all that stuff subconsciously, and you just pull it out without effort, like the best literary analyst.

So. Are you going to make me beg?

You know what I'm talking about.

Can I buy you off with elfy sex-kittens? Because I'll send 'em over. I'd teleport-other Twilight to the great down-under, if only I could catch her--she keeps flitting through all those shadows, you know. Damn Seattle.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:37:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re-directed from the "Sex & the Realms" discussion scroll:-
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

How wise and astute, Sage . . . the novel happens more within Twilight--in her mentality--than anywhere else.
Which I think was part of the reason why I enjoyed the story so much. The madness-inspiring element of Negarath was almost [and perhaps deliberately] a reflection of Twilight's own partially-fractured mental state.

Okay, so perhaps it wasn't "fractured" as such. But the sometimes bizarre twists and turns of Twilight's own mental processes, which we caught glimpses of in Depths, often reflected the chaotically unusual physical environment of the enclave itself. Or so it seemed to me. I guess what I'm saying is... I often interpreted the physical aspect of Negarath as an expression of Twilight's own mental state.

Intriguingly, and as an aside to how Negarath may have actually developed in your interpretation... I could see this particular aspect of the enclave being a deliberate choice made by the Netherese Arcanist responsible for Negarath's creation. An attempt to keep those canny enough to divine the secrets of his demesnes, from delving further into the "depths of madness" in one's own mind. I can only imagine what further mental torment Twilight and the others would've had to wrestle with, if the plot had not led to the resolution it did. What if... Twilight and her friends were forced to remain in Negarath? How would they have coped -- both mentally and physically? Only Negarath himself [and perhaps, Erik] can know for sure.
quote:
(And you haven't written a review of this book, why? Because you're too in tune with it? )
Check your PMs.
quote:
I find that theory particularly uncanny seeing as how "madness" in my games takes the form of damage to mental ability scores (INT, WIS, CHA), as appropriate to the madness. Inability to understand events? Result of INT damage. Impaired sense/judgment? WIS damage. Loss of confidence/self-respect/sense of self? CHA damage.
Neat. Sounds similar to the methods I've often employed in my RAVENLOFT games. I've never had much opportunity to explore such concepts of madness in my Realms games, but I have considered plotting a slight sojourn into Negarath as a special one-shot adventure for my players, sometime next year.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Oct 2007 03:45:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:39:09  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Owing to the quality of your DoM-related post in the Sex and the Realms, Sage . . . sometimes I think you know my book more than I do. Like I was writing all that stuff subconsciously, and you just pull it out without effort, like the best literary analyst.
Maybe I'm an illithid in disguise... and your brain is my next meal!

Seriously though, I appreciate your kind words. Though, I should point out, that my feeling with regard to Depths has only been derived, largely, from your ability to create both intelligent and meaningful characters -- whose interactions and relationships often strike a balanced expression between both the physical and mental aspects of their individual characters. And that's not something we see that much of in Realms fiction these days. Add to that, the fact that these well-developed characters are set against an impressive backdrop of danger, intrigue, psychological insight, and Realms history [I'm still wrapping my mind around the concept of Negarath -- which has now, officially, been referenced in a Realms product {Grand History woot!}]. Taken together, I quickly found myself an FR novel that satisfied me greatly.
quote:
So. Are you going to make me beg?
*looking suspiciously at Erik through a haze of thalander smoke from my pipe*

What have you got to offer?

Hehe... Interestingly, there's only one person on this planet who can make me beg!
quote:
You know what I'm talking about.

Can I buy you off with elfy sex-kittens? Because I'll send 'em over. I'd teleport-other Twilight to the great down-under, if only I could catch her--she keeps flitting through all those shadows, you know. Damn Seattle.
Elfy sex-kittens? Oooh! Sounds delightful.

I really would prefer Twilight though. Imagine the intriguing, and yet also delicious, "chats" we could have?

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Oct 2007 03:52:01
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  15:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Maybe I'm an illithid in disguise... and your brain is my next meal!

Oh crap! Run!

And in a potential TPK situation . . . you don't have to be faster than the monster. You just have to be faster than the halfling.

quote:
[I'm still wrapping my mind around the concept of Negarath -- which has now, officially, been referenced in a Realms product {Grand History woot!}].

I probably still have that Negarath writeup . . . hmm . . .

quote:
Taken together, I quickly found myself an FR novel that satisfied me greatly.

Well, I'm very glad.

quote:
*looking suspiciously through a haze of thalander smoke from my pipe*
What have you got to offer?

This looks like a job for . . . sexy elf-girl!

Twilight [casually letting straps slip and buckles loose]: "Oh please old mage . . . I'd do *anything*."

Ahem!

quote:
Hehe... Interestingly, there's only one person on this planet who can make me beg!

And a lucky lady she is. (Yay for Lady K!)

quote:
Imagine the intriguing, and yet also delicious, "chats" we could have?

As a professional fantasy writer . . . that's my job, dear Sage.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Signature of Shameless Self-Promotion +6: Order my sixth novel, Shadow of the Winter King (Amazon, e-signing, Dragonmoon Press)

Also check out my Realms work, most recently Shadowbane: Eye of Justice, out now on e-readers everywhere! (Kindle, Nook)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  16:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'm here to mention my new website:

http://erikscottdebie.com

That'll be all.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  16:06:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I probably still have that Negarath writeup . . . hmm . . .
Be afraid.... Be very afraid!
quote:
This looks like a job for . . . sexy elf-girl!

Twilight [casually letting straps slip and buckles loose]: "Oh please old mage . . . I'd do *anything*."
"Old!?!"

*The Sage pauses briefly to compose his thoughts*

"Just what are you implying, my dear? I'll have you know that it's my record with the lovely lasses that old Elminster's trying desparately to beat!"
quote:
And a lucky lady she is.
Strangely, I have to keep reminding her of that particular fact.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  16:12:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, I'm here to mention my new website:

http://erikscottdebie.com

That'll be all.

Cheers

Looking good!

The upcoming titles on the Projects section of the site look interesting also. So when can we start pummelling you with questions about these works?

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"I'll have you know that it's my record with the lovely lasses that old Elminster's trying desparately to beat!"

Twilight: "Oh yes, sir--and it's *my* record you're *both* trying to beat."

quote:

The upcoming titles on the Projects section of the site look interesting also. So when can we start pummelling you with questions about these works?

When I get 'em published, I expect. :)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  18:52:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Just what are you implying, my dear? I'll have you know that it's my record with the lovely lasses that old Elminster's trying desparately to beat!"

Which record? The number of times rejected?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  20:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[You're a good reader and friend to have. And I mean that.

Cheers

Aww, thanks, that's sweet of you to say.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit on your thread, as well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Seeker

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  22:46:55  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage  Send laethyn an AOL message  Click to see laethyn's MSN Messenger address  Send laethyn a Yahoo! Message Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The last site I built that got posted here (Beezer's Review site) made people go blind because of the color scheme.

Anyone going blind this time? hmmmm?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by laethyn

The last site I built that got posted here (Beezer's Review site) made people go blind because of the color scheme.
Anyone going blind this time? hmmmm?

You know, if they're blind . . . they might not see this question.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Seeker

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  00:34:07  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage  Send laethyn an AOL message  Click to see laethyn's MSN Messenger address  Send laethyn a Yahoo! Message Send laethyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good, because the last thing they should lay eyes on is your website. Beatiful women, nice cars, blinding bright light in a tunnel ... pfft. None of it compares!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:17:47  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik,

Is the world of Ruin really one you created?

Or did it create you? That would anwers alot of questions about you my friend!

P.S. You newest fan (Robert Tristan) is now 3 weeks old, wonder how much longer I should wait to read your books to him???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are any fantasy worlds really "created," or are they only "discovered"? Sometimes I wonder.

And my books are probably best left until about age 13+. I think my style most applies to a 17-19+ audience, but it's definitely not for pre-teens.

Though I have thought about the possibilities of a YA novel . . . Hmm.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  15:39:48  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are any fantasy worlds really "created," or are they only "discovered"? Sometimes I wonder.

And my books are probably best left until about age 13+. I think my style most applies to a 17-19+ audience, but it's definitely not for pre-teens.

Though I have thought about the possibilities of a YA novel . . . Hmm.

Cheers

'Light as a toddler??/

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

'Light as a toddler??/

Heh. That must have been an interesting childhood.

YA novels aren't necessarily about kids, they just target younger readers as an audience, appealing to things that concern teenagers: bullying, growing up, dealing with girls/boys, being popular/outcast, etc.

I wonder if WotC has ever considered an FR YA line, like they have for . . . [furtive look to make sure Wooly's not around] Dragonlance?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  18:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if WotC has ever considered an FR YA line, like they have for . . . [furtive look to make sure Wooly's not around] Dragonlance?

If they did, I'd likely still check such books out, even though I would not be a member of the target audience.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  19:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Harry Potter mania has opened up a whole new world for YA fantasy. A lot of agents/publishers are very keen on picking up novels of the sort . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  20:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the Harry Potter mania has opened up a whole new world for YA fantasy. A lot of agents/publishers are very keen on picking up novels of the sort . . .

Cheers

Great point--no reason why so-called "YA" novels can't appeal to all kinds of people.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  20:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Cheers

Great point--no reason why so-called "YA" novels can't appeal to all kinds of people.

I know I enjoyed the Young Jedi Knights novels by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta (he outlines stories well, but is not much of a writer, his wife (Moesta) however is an excellent writer, so the books turned out well ).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  01:28:50  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Light as a toddler??/

YA novels aren't necessarily about kids, they just target younger readers as an audience, appealing to things that concern teenagers: bullying, growing up, dealing with girls/boys, being popular/outcast, etc.

Cheers
This is actually the type of thinking that led the Lady K and I to produce, for our little Narnra, an illustrated and summarised version of Ed's "One Comes, Unheralded, to Zirta." It's still just as much a fun tale, and something that younger children can, I believe, enjoy just as much as the adults.

We even went as far as writing a small piece of piano sheet music to complement parts of the story. There's unusual sounds that follow the flow of the story, and funny voices and dress-ups involved, but we get the job done. Needless to say, little Narnra smiles and laughs every time she asks to hear this particular story.

And it's all thanks to the magic of Ed!

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Oct 2007 01:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30403 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  02:18:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Dragginglance was how I got intro'ed to the Realms. I shan't sweat the occasional reference to it.

I'm even going to replace all the Weis/Hickman DL novels I had. I shan't bother with the other ones, but definitely the Weis/Hickman ones.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  00:22:55  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Light as a toddler??/

Cheers

Oh I think they are definately targeting teens with 4.0.

I do not know why they would stop with the setting and leave the novels alone!

quote:

Ah is this a clue to your project that most likely will be under a pseudonym???

edit: Punctuation!

Edited by - The Red Walker on 24 Oct 2007 00:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4586 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2007 :  15:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage  Send Erik Scott de Bie an AOL message Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh I think they are definately targeting teens with 4.0.

If you say so--myself, I don't see it.

quote:
Ah is this a clue to your project that most likely will be under a pseudonym???

I can neither confirm nor deny. :)

Though, if I wrote a YA novel that wasn't FR or sword-and-sorcery by extraction, I would probably use a pseudonym.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 64 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000