Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost cities of Faerun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  02:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Hows this for an idea for a WoTC FR web article series or something for Dragon magazine

A series of articles that revolve around specfic Ruined cites.

Each article would detail one city, it would include 2 maps one of the city in its hey day and one as it exists in 1374.

For myself Id like to see articles on

Either Jhouram or Lirremar for Jhaamdath

Dun-Tharos for Narfell

A Netherese city (Either one of the 2 known to have survived or one of the known ruins)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  03:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to add the abandoned gnome city of Dolblunde to that list!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  05:15:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a great idea Dargoth but I think it would suffer from lack of focus. Are we looking at writing up the ruins as they appear in the modern-day Realms, or do we want a look at the places/sites of the place in its heyday? Unfortunately, I think that the two aspects are a tad mutually exclusive.

I'd prefer to see a write-up of the ruins in the here and now with some background lore re places/sites rather than a look at what the place had 'going on' back in -1000 DR. That is unless I'm playing a time-travelling campaign ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  05:34:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an interesting idea... I'd not mind seeing a bunch of articles on some of the other mythal-shrouded ruins, in particular.

Speaking of lost cities, have I, since coming over here, shared my idea for a Netherese city located at the bottom of the ocean, off of the Sword Coast?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  06:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is how Id do it using Jhaamdath as an example

Lets say its 5 Page/5 Week article in Dragon Magazine/The WOTC website

Page 1/Week 1

A general overview of Jhaamdath

Page 2/Week 2

The Society how it worked specficly the city in question, this would include for example who the Bladelords where and how they where chosen, how prelevant Psionics where in the Kingdom, What gods they worshipped what coinage the city used and what it looked like etc

Page 3/Week 3 Maps

A City and Ruin Map like the maps of Myth Drannor in the Old 1ed Grey Boxset the map would also have say 20 so numbered locations with names

Page 4/Week 4 Current state of the Ruins

This section would detail some of the buildings that are still around today in the ruins and who is currently living there say basicly adventure hooks for the ruin. A wandering monster table would also be a good thing to put here

Page 5/Week 5: The Crunchy stuff

This would have any gaming material that was suitable for that city in Jhaamdaths case there might be a PrC for Clerics of Auppenser some feats or maybe some Psionic weapons that where common to Jhaamdath, Spells etc

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  22:51:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, what are you waiting for Dargoth? Write the article and send the query email to Erik Mona at DRAGON - the proposal and format look great.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  23:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, what are you waiting for Dargoth? Write the article and send the query email to Erik Mona at DRAGON - the proposal and format look great.

-- George Krashos

Having never wirtten anything for publication in my life I doubt they'd take it seriously

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2005 :  23:24:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Having never wirtten anything for publication in my life I doubt they'd take it seriously

Go ahead and give it a shot... The worst that can happen is that they say "so sorry, not what we're looking for." And if that happens, then you simply share your article here.

And hey, if you do give it a shot, I'd be happy to edit it for you.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:14:16  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth,

I agree! Give it a shot. It sounds like a wonderful article idea and I know (as a recent subscriber to Dragon somewhat disappointed with the lack of Forgotten Realms articles) I would look forward to it.

You have great resources here like Wooly, Krash, and Kuje, all of whom I assume would be interested in something like this. At the worst, you put in lots of work that you can share with all of us freeloaders here...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:46:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Dargoth,

I agree! Give it a shot. It sounds like a wonderful article idea and I know (as a recent subscriber to Dragon somewhat disappointed with the lack of Forgotten Realms articles) I would look forward to it.

You have great resources here like Wooly, Krash, and Kuje, all of whom I assume would be interested in something like this. At the worst, you put in lots of work that you can share with all of us freeloaders here...

Even though Dargoth and I don't see eye to eye on the BG events and we butt heads over it I'd love to see such a article. So Dargoth! Write it up and if you need help just ask! Come on man it's worth trying at least!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2005 :  01:55:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ill give it a shot!

Anyone ever sent in a Query for a Dragon Article?

http://paizo.com/writersguidelines/dragon_writers_guidelines.pdf

I suspect Eric, George and Ed would have sent some in

How much info did you guys put in for your Querys?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  20:43:40  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its worth a thought, I am sure I would enjoy such articles greatly, since our group tends to linger in the past not current day realms, it would be of great use to us.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  01:04:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ill give it a shot!

Anyone ever sent in a Query for a Dragon Article?

http://paizo.com/writersguidelines/dragon_writers_guidelines.pdf

I suspect Eric, George and Ed would have sent some in

How much info did you guys put in for your Querys?

My e-queries have always been brief and to the point (usually because I'd already written or mapped out the article beforehand!). Introduce yourself, tell them what segment of the magazine it's for: "Bazaar of the Bizarre", "Arcane Lore", Campaign Classics" etc. and describe the article in 1-2 paragraphs, giving a brief run down of content and what it plans to showcase. It's also nice to give them an idea on word count. Send it it and see what they say!

With Erik Mona on board now, you've got a better than even chance that the article won't be nixed simply because it's set in FR. Go for it!

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Apr 2005 01:05:50
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  09:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Production has already begun and its rapidly turning into a monster! (I suspect it may be around 30 pages by the time Im finished with it!)

It includes a city write up for Jhouram and a certain other city (they are one of the last few places who still worship "Auppenser") that still exists today but has never been fleshed out.

A fleshed out Jhaamdathan Timeline (I started this before Ed Bonny released his own version, the timeline I was working on is rather different to Eds and provides info on why there are few Psionic users in Faerun)

A Jhaamdathan pantheon of Gods (this was inspired by some stuff Eric Boyd said on the boards)

Im currently working on a legal code for Jhaamdath (and the location for a prison)

I plan on doing a Lords of Darkness style write up for an organisation called the "Blades of Jhaamdath" who still exist today!

I also plan on stating out a Jhaamdathan Bladelord who still lives today!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  14:49:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Dargoth! Looking forward to seeing this in print or via the ether.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  15:30:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly looking forward to your efforts on this, Dargoth. And I'm also intrigued by your interpretation of the Bladelord...

Any hints on when you'll possibly be done?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  23:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Any hints on when you'll possibly be done?

Theres a couple of books I need to get for various parts of the project (including the Expanded Psionics Handbook) I may also see if Champions of Ruin has anything useful in it.

So depending on how I go June/July

The other thing which may hold things up is how quickly I pick up learning Campaign Cartographer 2 as theres a couple of maps needed one for the project, 2 Maps of Jhouram (one as it stood in 2nd Century PDR and another as it stands today)

"Im also debating whether to do a map of Jhaamdath with its cities, did the Vilhon Reach cop many changed when they altered the Realms map for 3ed?"

Upon examining the 2 maps there doesnt seem to be alot of differences between the 2ed and 3ed map of the Vilhon reach

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 07 Apr 2005 06:56:47
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  21:47:24  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds pretty cool Dargoth.Good luck with everything,and I hope that it sees print.If not,then you know for a fact that your ole buddies from Candlekeep will appreciate the hard work, and lore that you exhibit

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2005 :  23:37:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth, though I wouldn't be great on back-checking your lore, you know I'd be happy to edit.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  00:41:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I might send it to a couple of people for comment before I pass it on to Alaundo for posting

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000