Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Hall of Whirling Blades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  13:35:10  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, I look to find some info on a site that appears on the Forgotten Interactive Atlas : the Hall of Whirling Blades.

It is located near Amphail.;=

Another quick question, how would you handle getting from side to another of River Dessarin to go from the Stump Bog to Ardeep forest. (Only one of the PCs can fly (it's a fey'ri)).

Thanks for help.

Edited by - Skeptic on 14 Feb 2005 13:49:50

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  15:18:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Another quick question, how would you handle getting from side to another of River Dessarin to go from the Stump Bog to Ardeep forest. (Only one of the PCs can fly (it's a fey'ri)).

Well there is the old fashion way, build a raft even a bog should provide enough wood, with one flyer a rope (and a rope can be made if not carrying enough from material of the bog) could be streched over the river so landing point can be selected.
Other options might include hailing a boat and ask for a ride if one happens to pass by.
Swiming of course an option, however depending on skill a lot of equipment might need to be flown over the river.
I do not know level and equipment of party, so not sure about what other magic or mundane options are available.
There of course could be finding a ford or bridge as well.
Yes many of these ideas will take time one way or another, there might be quicker ways available depending on party resources. I do of course infer that the flyer is not strong enough to fly arty members across the river (though you might look at the posibility of flying them accross unequiped, then flying accross equipment).

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  16:10:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How hard it would be to swim in River Dessarin at this point ?

They dont have any cumbersome equipement, but are all low-str and only one has some ranks in swim.

(Campaign date is 8th of Kythorn)

Don't forget my first question about Hall of Whirling Blades :)

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  17:02:19  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How hard it would be to swim in River Dessarin at this point ?

I do not know the stats for the river at that point, there should be at least two factors width and current speed, there might be other considerations as well (hazzards, water temperture, debris etc.) The Interactive Atlas should give you the width, not sure if it handles current (The current results in a vector effect of how far one actually needs to swim as the swimer gests pushed down river).
quote:

They dont have any cumbersome equipement, but are all low-str and only one has some ranks in swim.

(Campaign date is 8th of Kythorn)

If all are light load the swim should be easier. For the date you cite the river should be fairly calm (after sprng melt/flood in most cases) which might justify using DC of 10 or perhaps 12 (because of current). Of course any armor that calls for armor check would need to be removed as oposed to being worn or soon most will be under water (even if armor off odds are good some will be under water before reaching other side).

One idea to consider, use flyier to aid swimers, requires a rope, that provides a circumstance bonus to keep them above water level and hopefully making progress.
quote:

Don't forget my first question about Hall of Whirling Blades :)

I did not forget this question, however could not find any direct reference to such a location. Perhaps that Hall only had a brief mention in source books?

Edit: I found mention of "Hall of Whirling Blade" at forum.rpg.hu/index.php?showtopic=70&st=50 the langauge is regional though and does not appear do provide much information.

Edited by - Kentinal on 14 Feb 2005 18:49:37
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  19:58:34  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, I look to find some info on a site that appears on the Forgotten Interactive Atlas : the Hall of Whirling Blades.

Can't help you, sorry.

quote:

Thanks for help.

How about having the fey'ri fly over the river with two ropes (adjusted to something at the side they're trying to leave), tie them to something on the other side (one rope at chest-level if you walk on the other) thus creating a primitive rope-bridge across the river.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 14 Feb 2005 20:02:35
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  20:05:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

How about having the fey'ri fly over the river with two ropes (adjusted to something at the side they're trying to leave), tie them to something on the other side (one rope at chest-level if you walk on the other) thus creating a primitive rope-bridge across the river.

Yup I forgot this one. Of course only works if one has enough rope. *wink*
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  23:30:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Hall of Whirling Blades, try the write-up of Haela in "Demihuman Deities" by Eric Boyd.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  23:43:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple other ideas:

Hire some dwarves to tunnel under the river. Or just find the nearest connection to the Underdark and take the "scenic" route.

Or hope to hitch a ride on a passing spelljammer...

Aren't I helpful?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  04:10:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About as helpful as a Talontar Blightlord in the center of a major epidemic...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  05:41:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

About as helpful as a Talontar Blightlord in the center of a major epidemic...

Hey, the methods I mentioned would work, if everything worked out right...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2020 :  07:25:51  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Skeptic,

The answer regarding the information on the Hall of Whirling Blades has been answered. However, the question regarding the crossing of the river is: go to the Zundbridge at the delta, and safely cross. :) All of these new folk to the 'Keep can make great use of this information! It's not that far away, and you don't have to worry about the speed of the river, as well as it being rather cold and deep!

Best regards,

quote:

Thanks for help.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2020 :  22:32:50  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

For the Hall of Whirling Blades, try the write-up of Haela in "Demihuman Deities" by Eric Boyd.

-- George Krashos

I did but no luck. Even searching in the OCR file.

Edit. Nevermind I found it.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 25 Nov 2020 22:35:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2020 :  09:46:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so you know the Company of the Stag has spent a few months exploring the Hall of Whilring Blades. A truly impressive dungeon and one that will hopefully see the light of day soon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  21:45:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

quote:
Just so you know the Company of the Stag has spent a few months exploring the Hall of Whilring Blades. A truly impressive dungeon and one that will hopefully see the light of day soon.

Is the Company of the Stag and the Stag Caravan Company, one and the same? I see references to both, but nothing that I can find at least that affirmatively connects them.

Also, do you know of any information coming out soon that will include the Hall of Whirling Blades?

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2020 :  23:23:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Company of the Stag is the company I am playing in, in one of Eric Boyd's home campaigns. He has an adventure that details (exactingly!) the Hall of Whirling Blades. Release date? Who knows. Eric thinks he's writing an adventure, when he's actually writing a historical treatise.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  05:36:05  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

quote:
The Company of the Stag is the company I am playing in, in one of Eric Boyd's home campaigns. He has an adventure that details (exactingly!) the Hall of Whirling Blades. Release date? Who knows. Eric thinks he's writing an adventure, when he's actually writing a historical treatise.

Oh, so cool! That's the name of your personal gaming company. Right on!

Well, I hope we all get the opportunity to see that fine work some day. I bet it is awesome as all of Eric's work is!

I can imagine that the work is quite.........voluminous!

Best regards as always.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  09:37:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Running at about 600 pages I think atm. He's probably 65% done.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  11:13:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

I did but no luck. Even searching in the OCR file.

Edit. Nevermind I found it.

It's based on a single sentence in FR11 - Dwarves Deep.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2020 :  06:12:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

600 pages? That is awesome. However, you need to convince him to get that 65% up to 66.67%. He can just squeak in that 1,000 page must have! ;) haha

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000