Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Harpers novel.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hey-zeus
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  04:29:11  Show Profile  Visit hey-zeus's Homepage Send hey-zeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just bought the entire(well almost) Harper series on ebay. I've read up through Ring of Winter and I'm halfway through Crypt of The Shadowking. So except for RoW and Elfshadow they all seem pretty mediocre. I disliked Night Parade...realy disliked Night Parade. Anyway, I'm just curious if I can expect things to go uphill or down from here. What are some favorites, and are there any I should just skip?

"I didn't know what was a country! Do they speak English in what?"

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  05:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the ones by Elaine Cunnningham (though they've been grouped into their own series--Songs and Swords--by now).

I also liked Stormlight, because I like Storm, though that novel got rather repetitive towards the end.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  05:38:03  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't pick one but: Stormlight, Spellfire, Elaine's novels in that series, Kate and Jeff's novels in that series, Red Magic still keeps my interest and I reread that novel all the time.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  05:58:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Skip Soldiers of Ice... The ones by Elaine are really good. Masquerade, a kind of sequel to the Finder's Stone trilogy, was really good. Finder's Bane was initially a Harper novel, too, and that one is quite good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  07:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EC's books are a given. I also liked Finder's Bane and, uhhm, does Tymora's Luck count as a Harpers novel? I forgot.

Could never get my hand on Masquerade. Damn.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  10:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I quite enjoyed the Harpers series. A good variety of tales and interesting reads, on the whole

Without a doubt, read Masquerades and Finder's Bane (preferably having read the Finder's Stone trilogy first). Of course, Elfshadow, Elfsong and Silver Shadows go without saying (Silver Shadows being my favorite of the three). I also really enjoyed Veiled Dragon, not many mention this novel but it sticks in my mind somewhat as being a very enjoyable read. Stormlight, also a nice read, very localised. Incidentally, Ed Greenwood wrote a fair amount of information for us here at Candlekeep on Firefall Vale.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 12 Feb 2005 10:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  13:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, Elaine's books in the series are great, Elfsong being probably my favourite Realms book.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  14:19:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

EC's books are a given. I also liked Finder's Bane and, uhhm, does Tymora's Luck count as a Harpers novel? I forgot.

Could never get my hand on Masquerade. Damn.

I think that Tymora's Luck was published after the Harpers series was closed off and the Harpers books shuffled into other trilogies. It was published as a Lost Gods book. Interestingly, in the front of the book, it refers to Finder's Bane as a Harpers novel, but in the back, it puts Finder's Bane into the Lost Gods books.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  23:21:53  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too liked Elaine's books in the series.I believe Red Wizards was part of that series.I enjoyed that one as well.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  03:16:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I too liked Elaine's books in the series.I believe Red Wizards was part of that series.I enjoyed that one as well.

Red Wizards, by Jean Rabe, was the third Harpers novel. It's been years since I read that one... I should prolly re-read it sometime soon.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  04:57:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Red Wizards, by Jean Rabe, was the third Harpers novel. It's been years since I read that one... I should prolly re-read it sometime soon.

Is starting to feel like I'm being the ignored scribe. I could have swore I mentioned that novel earlier in this thread. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 13 Feb 2005 04:58:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  05:48:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

quote:

Is starting to feel like I'm being the ignored scribe. I could have swore I mentioned that novel earlier in this thread. :)

I'm sorry, did you say something?

I was just adding a bit more info, and a personal comment.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  07:06:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well technically, you did call it Red Magic.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  15:23:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Oh, my bad, it is called Red Magic... I guess I'm just too used to typing "Wizards" after typing "Red"!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  17:02:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yes, because that's it's title. :) BAH. BAH, I say!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  20:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I've nothing but love and respect for Elaine and Ed and all their characters and novels, I have to confess.....

My favorite Harpers novel is THE WYVERN'S SPUR by Kate & Jeff Grubb for one simple reason--it was among the first products I received upon starting at TSR (think they were the first shipment of products in February 1990) and it was one of the first novels I read as part of getting up to speed on the Realms.

Before my hiring, I had only read FR1, the grey box, and CRYSTAL SHARD; after my hiring, I believe I eventually got around to reading everything, but haven't reread most of it in years......

Steven
Who liked the nonstandard NIGHT PARADE if only as viewed as a Grant Morrison era Doom Patrol adventure in the Realms (a comparison made long ago by James Lowder)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  00:28:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

While I've nothing but love and respect for Elaine and Ed and all their characters and novels, I have to confess.....

My favorite Harpers novel is THE WYVERN'S SPUR by Kate & Jeff Grubb for one simple reason--it was among the first products I received upon starting at TSR (think they were the first shipment of products in February 1990) and it was one of the first novels I read as part of getting up to speed on the Realms.

Before my hiring, I had only read FR1, the grey box, and CRYSTAL SHARD; after my hiring, I believe I eventually got around to reading everything, but haven't reread most of it in years......

Steven
Who liked the nonstandard NIGHT PARADE if only as viewed as a Grant Morrison era Doom Patrol adventure in the Realms (a comparison made long ago by James Lowder)

My friend, while I do love The Wyvern's Spur, I hasten to add that to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a Harpers novel... It was the second book of the Finder's Stone trilogy.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Feb 2005 00:32:07
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  00:47:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
My friend, while I do love The Wyvern's Spur, I hasten to add that to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a Harpers novel... It was the second book of the Finder's Stone trilogy.

True. Azure Bonds, the first book in the Finder's Stone trilogy, pre-dated the Harper series. I read it before I entered the open call that kicked off the Harper series, and read The Wyvern's Spur not long thereafter. What makes this confusing is Masquerades, a later Alias book, was included in the Harper series.

There were a few dotted lines being drawn back then. Crown of Fire, the second book in what is now the Shandril trilogy, was originally published as part of the Harper series, while the first book, Spellfire, was not. The FR product tree was fairly complicated for a while there.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Feb 2005 12:00:36
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  02:18:17  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfshadow is easily my favorite Harper novel. I miss Arilyn!

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  04:41:05  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed all of EC novels and those by Ed as well.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2005 :  15:46:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

For all those Arilyn fans, check out the 2/13 entry in Elaine Cunningham's blog where a certain moonblade wielder is discussed some.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  20:56:40  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

For all those Arilyn fans, check out the 2/13 entry in Elaine Cunningham's blog where a certain moonblade wielder is discussed some.

I know, I read it. Just wish it'd been news that she'd been given the go ahead to start up on another Arilyn novel. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  04:01:00  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got various Harpers novels on my bookshelf but have only read Finder's Banewhich I enjoyed as I liked the Finder's Stone Trilogy prior to that. Haven't found a copy of Masqueradesyet.

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  05:35:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

I've got various Harpers novels on my bookshelf but have only read Finder's Banewhich I enjoyed as I liked the Finder's Stone Trilogy prior to that. Haven't found a copy of Masqueradesyet.

If you liked Finder's Bane, you need to track down the book that follows it, Tymora's Luck.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  14:37:21  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Skip Soldiers of Ice...

It's funny that you say that, a friend of mine loved this book, read it in one sitting, said he couldn't put it down. I put it down alright, back on the shelf, and started on Azure Bonds instead. I'm glad I made that decision. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to read it, it's a Forgotten Realms book after all, I'll just read it when I don't have anything better.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  22:52:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Skip Soldiers of Ice...

It's funny that you say that, a friend of mine loved this book, read it in one sitting, said he couldn't put it down. I put it down alright, back on the shelf, and started on Azure Bonds instead. I'm glad I made that decision. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to read it, it's a Forgotten Realms book after all, I'll just read it when I don't have anything better.

... Like a phone book?

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  05:35:08  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite Harper novels are Elfshadow, Crown of Fire, and Stormlight.

I pounded through the Harper books in preparation for DMing FR. I remember liking all of the Harper books, including Soldiers of Ice. I remember being interested in the ecology of the gnolls in that book. Night Parade is my least favorite Harper novel.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 05 Mar 2005 05:38:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000