Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Areas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  04:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And for anyone really taken with the idea of geography and the Realms, I'm reading ONCE AROUND THE REALMS by Brian Thomsen. A very fun FR take on one of my favoriter Verne novels.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  10:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosemary Jones

... ONCE AROUND THE REALMS by Brian Thomsen. A very fun FR take on one of my favoriter Verne novels.

Really ?
I read a review about this novel on the Candlekeep website and it was not good at all !
It was here : http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/novels/8550.htm

EDIT : was does Verne mean ? Jules Verne ? our great French writer ? I do not think so...

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 12 Jan 2008 10:16:49
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  22:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a reference to the author Jules Verne.

And indeed, Once Around the Realms ain't too popular around here, but that doesn't mean it can't appeal to anybody.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  23:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's based on Around the World in Eighty Days. It doesn't use Realms geography except as material for a series of gags. I wonder if it would have been published if it wasn't the idea of the head of the books department.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  09:55:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

It's a reference to the author Jules Verne.

I thank you for answering, Rinonalyrna. sometimes, I'm really proud to be a Frenchie.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It doesn't use Realms geography except ... I wonder if it would have been published if it wasn't the idea of the head of the books department.
Once around the Realms doesn't follow The Realms geography ? It's not an official or canon novel ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 13 Jan 2008 09:57:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  13:31:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Once around the Realms doesn't follow The Realms geography ? It's not an official or canon novel ?

It's listed as "Volo Novel; unknown if factual or apocryphal; needs Elminster notes!" That's from the very old and outdated Presenting... Seven Millennia of Realms Fiction page, which at the time listed all the fiction and when it happened.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  13:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I thank you for answering, Rinonalyrna. sometimes, I'm really proud to be a Frenchie.
One of youse guys restored/recreated the awesome Noblet tarot deck I bought recently. Les Visiteurs du Soir is coming out on DVD!
quote:
Once around the Realms [/i]doesn't follow The Realms geography ? It's not an official or canon novel ?

I was clarifying Rosemary Jones's recommendation of the book 'for anyone really taken with the idea of geography and the Realms'. Yes, it follows Realms geography, but uses it for would-be comic effect, and it's not a place to find serious Realmslore. I doubt Brian Thomsen intended it to be 'canonical'.

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Jan 2008 13:53:12
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  15:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of youse guys restored/recreated the awesome Noblet tarot deck I bought recently.
Hmmm... Excuse-me but I did not understand bold words.

Thanks to you Faraer & Wooly for having answered me.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:22:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Youse' is a US and Australian regionalism for 'you'.

The Noblet tarot deck is the jeu de tarot de Jean Noblet.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2008 :  21:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fillow: You're welcome.

quote:
Les Visiteurs du Soir is coming out on DVD!

Out of sheer curiosity I looked that movie up. The plot sounds very intriguing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Jan 2008 21:58:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  01:40:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More specifically, in the US, "youse" (or "youse guys") is common in the New England area -- Boston, New York City, around there. Down here in Florida and the South (culturally, central Florida is not part of the South), the word is "y'all".

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  16:39:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Youse" sounds like something the stereotypical Italian-American might say--and you heard that from someone who has Italian blood in her.

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  20:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks (again !) for this French lesson.
Twice a day I see French expressions in the same topic and that I don't understand them ! (Jules Verne was the first one).
I'm so immersed in your language that it looks like I do not read French anymore when I'm among you.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  02:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was clarifying Rosemary Jones's recommendation of the book 'for anyone really taken with the idea of geography and the Realms'. Yes, it follows Realms geography, but uses it for would-be comic effect, and it's not a place to find serious Realmslore. I doubt Brian Thomsen intended it to be 'canonical'.

And it does make me laugh. I have a bit of a soft spot for Volo and some of those earlier TSR novels set in the Realms.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com

Edited by - Rosemary Jones on 02 Feb 2008 02:35:44
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary Jones
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  03:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Rosemary Jones's Homepage Send Rosemary Jones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT : was does Verne mean ? Jules Verne ? our great French writer ? I do not think so...

Mais oui! But I read him in English translation. Phileas Fogg is one of my favorite characters. My oldest copy of this book is an 1884 edition titled "Tour of the World in 80 Days." Thomsen's book attracted my attention because it was inspired by Verne. Another Verne connection are my bits of Nellie Bly memorabilia. Nellie was the American journalist who recreated Fogg's journey in real life (as much as she could).

Sorry, totally off-topic for the Realms and for this thread, but sometimes I'm attracted to a book by what I can only call a "collection connection." Trust me, if they ever do an Oz-Forgotten Realms crossover, I'll be the first one to order it. Same thing with Barsoom. You send John Carter of Mars to the Forgotten Realms, and I'll have to buy it.

And I would be interested in hearing what people think is a "good" novel that covers the most FR geography or describes the FR geography in the best way.

Rosemary Jones
www.rosemaryjones.com

Edited by - Rosemary Jones on 02 Feb 2008 03:11:37
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2008 :  16:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mais oui! But I read him in English translation. Phileas Fogg is one of my favorite characters. My oldest copy of this book is an 1884 edition titled "Tour of the World in 80 Days." Thomsen's book attracted my attention because it was inspired by Verne.
I may ben chauvinist but J. VERNE is the most visionary author I ever read about. Just have a look at "From the Earth to the Moon" (1865) and then to the twentieth century space conquest. With round to 100 years of advance, VERNE really had a good idea about this adventure !
And that's the same about Paris in the 20th Century (written in 1863 and published in 1994 !). It's all the same.
Moreover, he rests in my birthtown !
On eof my preferred authors with Emile ZOLA, but it's another story and I'm totally out of topic. Excuse-me Alaundo.

quote:

And I would be interested in hearing what people think is a "good" novel that covers the most FR geography or describes the FR geography in the best way.
IMO, to describe canon lore and to stay close to the conceptors' spirit is enough to be a good novel about FR geography.
That's not such an interesting opinion but It was most of all to come back to the topic. Though I really think these would be a good novel !

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 02 Feb 2008 16:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  02:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow... after all these years this thread is still going...

I'm not dead, just taken up with university and such academic pursuits. Unfortunately that's also led to a decrease in time spent reading FR novels. May have to look into several threads recommending recent books, since I'm completely out of the loop - I only heard about this crazy thing called '4th Edition' lately, and that led me to think back and look at my old interests.

So, Xysma, how's the project coming along in my stead? I'd pick it up again, but like I say I've been gone for too long.

Now, to get back to actually writing my own novel... a pity dreams of a FR novel died, but creating my own world is just as fun =P

(Edit: and what on Ed's Green Toril is the Spellplague?!)

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Edited by - Smyther on 11 May 2008 02:25:18
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  03:18:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

A bad, bad dream that we hope to wake from soon.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 May 2008 03:19:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2008 :  03:58:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

A bad, bad dream that we hope to wake from soon.

And to expand a little on Wooly's reply, Smyther, you may find these two scrolls informative:-

Spellplague: The Wailing Years: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10705

And, 4e FR: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9912

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  10:55:34  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

More specifically, in the US, "youse" (or "youse guys") is common in the New England area -- Boston, New York City, around there. Down here in Florida and the South (culturally, central Florida is not part of the South), the word is "y'all".

youse is also often used in my home city of liverpool.we have a strong irish influence in our accent as does boston.might be just coincedence but maybe not.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  05:06:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

With all the side-chatters, I almost didn't get the purpose of this thread...Well, until I read the OP.

The Watercourse trilogy - Innarlith

The Brotherhood of the Griffon trilogy - Chessenta

Shield of Weeping Ghosts - Rashemen

The Haunted Lands trilogy - Thay, Aglarond

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  14:05:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OP- im not sure why you would want to avoid writing a story that takes place in an area of the Realms that has been used in another book. I love when books take place somewhere i have already traveled to before. That's the great thing about the Realms: there is so much information available about them, that they actually feel like a real place when you travel through with whatever novel you are reading. On the flip side, i also love when a book takes place somewhere i have never been = NEW ADVENTURE :-)

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  14:27:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

OP- im not sure why you would want to avoid writing a story that takes place in an area of the Realms that has been used in another book. I love when books take place somewhere i have already traveled to before. That's the great thing about the Realms: there is so much information available about them, that they actually feel like a real place when you travel through with whatever novel you are reading. On the flip side, i also love when a book takes place somewhere i have never been = NEW ADVENTURE :-)

I found that argument rather ironic when they immediately did a bunch of books in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  14:36:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000