Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 First Temple to the Triad
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  01:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hail to you all,

just have a question: does anyone know when and where the first temple specifically dedicated to the Triad was done?

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  02:19:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greeting, there appears to be more then one Triad of deities. It would help to know which one you refer to.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  02:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reasonably sure that Talwyn is referring to The Triad, with a big "T", which refers to the Triad of Law and Good: Tyr, Ilmater and Torm.

As for the date, there's no hard, published Realmslore on the subject, but I'd wager that the first temples containing shrines to all three deities (there aren't really any temples "to the Triad" anywhere) cropped up some time around -200DR.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  15:30:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't recall where the Triad was first mentioned, but I know I made a lot with them in Lands of Intrigue. Just in terms of historical placement (and some personal bias, I'll admit ), I would probably place some of the first organized churches/temples to the Triad somewhere around the LOI/Calimshan/Deepwash areas as places to which escaped slaves could flee from the genies/efreet/Coramshite/Calishite slavers. Given the ages of those civilizations down thataway, chances are the earliest temples are also long since rubble.

Then again, I could be wrong and forgetting some crucial Realmslore that's tied to the gods--a segment I almost always left for Julia and Eric, as it gets too complicated for me at times.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:17:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

I don't recall where the Triad was first mentioned, but I know I made a lot with them in Lands of Intrigue. Just in terms of historical placement (and some personal bias, I'll admit ), I would probably place some of the first organized churches/temples to the Triad somewhere around the LOI/Calimshan/Deepwash areas as places to which escaped slaves could flee from the genies/efreet/Coramshite/Calishite slavers. Given the ages of those civilizations down thataway, chances are the earliest temples are also long since rubble.

Or perhaps part of one of those temples remains, buried under generations of newer buildings... Just a thought.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going off Tyrs entry in F&P

There couldnt be a Temple dedicated to the Triad until well after
-243 DR because Ilmater didnt join Tyr till that year and Torm didnt join until "Years later"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  00:01:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some things to be considered when dealing with the Triad as a unified whole:

-Faiths and Pantheons dates the arrival of Tyr in Faerūn at -247 DR. His absorbtion of the older Calishite deity Anachtyr likely took place after the end of the Procession of Justice (-238 DR), when he was already allied with another southern deity, Ilmater.

-Torm was a mortal following the Fall of Netheril, and did not reasonably ascend to godhood until at least -300 DR.

-There are very, very few temples that form a unified worship of the Triad. More often, a temple is primarily dedicated to the worship of one of the deities (usually Tyr), with shrines to the other two. Only certain, remarkable locations--such as the abbey of Barakmordin--are truly dedicated to the Triad as a unified force.

My understanding (some of which I've made up to fill in blanks, of course) is that the former superior of Ilmater was in fact Anachtyr. As Anachtyr grew older and tired of his divine duties (something very difficult for a deity), he became more withdrawn from his allies and followers, no longer the symbol of armed justice he once was. With the coming of Tyr, Anachtyr saw a younger, more vigorous version of himself, and allowed himself to be absorbed following the success of the Procession of Justice, tempering the war-like nature of the interloper god with his own wiser thoughts. With the end of his campaign and the tempering of his nature, Tyr sought out a war captain to oversee his more military efforts, both on Faerūn and throughout the planes: Torm.

Because the largest, oldest, and most lavish temples to Tyr at the time were actually dedicated to Anachtyr, they would, as Steven suggests, be in the area of Calimshan's former empire. Such temples would likely have contained shrines to Ilmater, as well, and following the ascension of Torm, would have gladly added the worship of Tyr's lieutenant to their complexes.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 28 Jan 2005 17:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  14:12:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, folks, Garen Thal said it far better than I could have. Kudos to him--I could have sworn he was channeling Eric or George there for a second.

And now you guys have seen an online example of exactly how decisions to correct/clear up historical conundrums were once handled in the Realms.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  11:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all that, it's greatly appreciated.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2020 :  20:22:36  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Garen Thal and Learned Scribe Talwyn,

You are spot on Master Thal! I only wanted to add in the date of the Barkmordin as the oldest, Triadic temple. It was built in 809DR!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

There are some things to be considered when dealing with the Triad as a unified whole:

-Faiths and Pantheons dates the arrival of Tyr in Faerūn at -247 DR. His absorbtion of the older Calishite deity Anachtyr likely took place after the end of the Procession of Justice (-238 DR), when he was already allied with another southern deity, Ilmater.

-Torm was a mortal following the Fall of Netheril, and did not reasonably ascend to godhood until at least -300 DR.

-There are very, very few temples that form a unified worship of the Triad. More often, a temple is primarily dedicated to the worship of one of the deities (usually Tyr), with shrines to the other two. Only certain, remarkable locations--such as the abbey of Barakmordin--are truly dedicated to the Triad as a unified force.

My understanding (some of which I've made up to fill in blanks, of course) is that the former superior of Ilmater was in fact Anachtyr. As Anachtyr grew older and tired of his divine duties (something very difficult for a deity), he became more withdrawn from his allies and followers, no longer the symbol of armed justice he once was. With the coming of Tyr, Anachtyr saw a younger, more vigorous version of himself, and allowed himself to be absorbed following the success of the Procession of Justice, tempering the war-like nature of the interloper god with his own wiser thoughts. With the end of his campaign and the tempering of his nature, Tyr sought out a war captain to oversee his more military efforts, both on Faerūn and throughout the planes: Torm.

Because the largest, oldest, and most lavish temples to Tyr at the time were actually dedicated to Anachtyr, they would, as Steven suggests, be in the area of Calimshan's former empire. Such temples would likely have contained shrines to Ilmater, as well, and following the ascension of Torm, would have gladly added the worship of Tyr's lieutenant to their complexes.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000