Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Bonny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  12:07:22  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ed i got a great question for you. Being as Shar and Mystra are currently waring over the fate of the weave and shadow weave. Would it be a interesting turn of events for mystra to try and wake Auppenser, and shar to try and steal his portfolio, or keep him asleep. I mean he would be a addition to mystra's power, and the addition of psionics into the world in greater numbers would not help shar, unless she was in charge of it. I am surprised actually that she hasn't made a move on his portfolio's earlier as she tends to enjoy devouring other deities. I am curious as to what other gods you think would have made up the Jhaamdath patheon, as well as what the feel for the culture of Jhaamdath was. I personally kinda feel like it was a greek style atmosphere with all the individual city states and all. I look forward with anticipation to your reponse.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2006 :  21:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answers, Ed I have to check out that skystone somewhere (I don't have the 'Horde'-boxed set) but it certainly sounds more reasonable than a city built of glassteel. Perhaps a city of skystone treated with lots of 'Hardening'-spells (from MoF)?

I certainly hope that your modules will be published, either on the WoTC website, or (preferably) in print - they sound *VERY* good

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  01:46:36  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Ed- Hey, I was just looking at empires of the shining sea and saw that of the cities on the Lake of Steam, Ankhapur was originally founded by Jhaamdathans, perhaps after the fall of Jhaamdath.

Your point about Chauntea and Mielikki makes me think that the survivors of Jhaamdath might have some connection to the Emerald Enclave.

Also, I can only imagine that Jhaamdath must have fallen into a horrible state indeed for the Elves to convince themselves that it needed to be destroyed, and that in that horrible state Auppenser had already withdrawn most of his aid from the people of Jhaamdath and his Church was in ruins. But hey I guess thats what you have been telling us.

Maybe there are some demographic causes as well, like a rise in imigration to Jhaamdath and a rise in the population of non-Auppenser worshippers over time.

Hey Octa,

I looked up Ankhapur in Empires of the Shining Seas. I see one reference to the city's founding on page 148 where it says "...former colony of ancient Chondath..." Such a vague reference could mean during the time of Jhaamdath or later during the time of Chondath. Dale Donovan was the original designer of that section of Empires of the Shining Seas. Does anyone know if he has he said anything further on the matter?

Jhaamdathan survivors of the tidal wave would have reached out to many gods after the disaster. Auppenser, their own patron deity, was for all intents and purposes dead to them (they had no way of knowing that he was in a Mystra-induced sleep). The Jhaamdathans would have been ripe for picking for almost any deity interested in expanding his/her sphere of influence. Depending on an individual's personal outlook on life, I imagine that many of the gods were first sought out and worshipped in the years following the tidal wave. Tyr, of course, took center stage with his unexpected arrival in the area, and the visible presence of his avatar would have likely steered many Jhaamdathan worshippers to his church.

As for the Emerald Enclave, it should be noted that this druidic group was founded in 374 DR, centuries (and many generations) after the fall of Jhaamdath. A valid Jhaamdathan connection to the Emerald Enclave would be extremely hard to make. Jhaamdathan descendents would be in the Enclave, but even in 374 DR, I imagine they would have little to no historical or cultural ties to their ancestral past.

I had not thought of immigration to Jhaamdath but it must have definitely happened. Jhaamdath was very likely a choice spot for slaves to flee, as the realm had a reputation for fighting slavery. Jhaamdath would never return slaves to any master or country, a fact which might have made it a legendary place for slaves to flee too. I am sure Netherese refugees also fled there or at least passed through.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  01:50:31  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

Thank you ed ye art a true and wise scholar of all things concerning Auppenser, and the realm of Jhaamdath. I want to thank you for all of the helpful information you have worked so dilagently on for us concerning the Realms. I would like to know though what type of culture do you think Jhaamdath would have possesed? I mean like roman, egyptian, babalyon, or such. I mean the Netherness seem very Greek/Roman to me although they were more focused on magic than any type of gods per say. I would love to hear what you have to say on this matter, as well as any other information you have on Jhaamdath. I would love to see you write a book, or novel concerning the empire of Jhaamdath and psionics in the realms or the return of Auppenser.

Hey VonRaven,

I imagine the Jhaamdathans to be most akin to ancient Greece prior to any Roman influence. As time went on, the empire would have grown an early Byzantine-like culture in law, worship, education, and archtecture.

As for writing a novel, who knows. I have no plans on it but there is a lot of material here (especially one heralding the return of a certain psionic god)

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  02:01:07  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey ed i got a great question for you. Being as Shar and Mystra are currently waring over the fate of the weave and shadow weave. Would it be a interesting turn of events for mystra to try and wake Auppenser, and shar to try and steal his portfolio, or keep him asleep. I mean he would be a addition to mystra's power, and the addition of psionics into the world in greater numbers would not help shar, unless she was in charge of it. I am surprised actually that she hasn't made a move on his portfolio's earlier as she tends to enjoy devouring other deities. I am curious as to what other gods you think would have made up the Jhaamdath patheon, as well as what the feel for the culture of Jhaamdath was. I personally kinda feel like it was a greek style atmosphere with all the individual city states and all. I look forward with anticipation to your reponse.

Hi VonRaven,

I would imagine for Auppenser's return, there would need to be enough worshippers to sustain him. At this point, there is not. While a growing awareness of psionics appears to be spreading across the Realms, that does not necessarily mean people will suddenly realize that a psionic god exists. Mystra would not allow Shar to take the psionics portfolio, but that doesn't mean the shadow weave is not already involved. Shadow psionics, with rules directly lifted from the Realms, are discussed in one of the psionic handbooks.

I don't believe the Jhaamdathans openly gave much worship to other gods. They had their patron deity, Auppenser, and he served them well up until the tidal wave. (A situation similar to Netheril and Amaunator)... Chauntea might have been worshipped in outlying farms and villages far from the city, but such worship would have been personal and probably not formalized. There was likely an ever-present cultural pressure to support the patron deity over any other, something which would have also kept other gods from gaining a foothold.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  02:02:51  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Thanks for your answers, Ed I have to check out that skystone somewhere (I don't have the 'Horde'-boxed set) but it certainly sounds more reasonable than a city built of glassteel. Perhaps a city of skystone treated with lots of 'Hardening'-spells (from MoF)?

I certainly hope that your modules will be published, either on the WoTC website, or (preferably) in print - they sound *VERY* good

Hey Asgetrion,

You can download the Horde boxset from www.wizards.com. It was published 16 years ago in 1990 but still has a good number of Realmsian things to mine for today's Faerun.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  18:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember it being in the history section, and that it refers to that area containing Jhaamdathan outposts, the only one of which that remains being in Ankhapur. I think that Steve Schend might have said something about this as well.

I'll trudge through Empire of the Shining Seas and see if I can get you a page number.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2006 :  19:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here is what Empire of the Shining Seas says on page 124.

"The city of Ankhapur stands alone in the Arnaden in several ways. Of all the cities of the Arnaden, only it was not completely resettled by expatriate Calishites. Ankhapur was a colony of the fallen empire of Jhaamdath, founded around -5000 DR; all of the Arnaden cities were similarly founded in this era, but few have retained their Jhaamdathan roots, save Ankhapur, to the current day. In many ways, Ankhapur is more like a city of the reunited Tethyr or the Vilhon Reach......"
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  14:31:02  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

here is what Empire of the Shining Seas says on page 124.

"The city of Ankhapur stands alone in the Arnaden in several ways. Of all the cities of the Arnaden, only it was not completely resettled by expatriate Calishites. Ankhapur was a colony of the fallen empire of Jhaamdath, founded around -5000 DR; all of the Arnaden cities were similarly founded in this era, but few have retained their Jhaamdathan roots, save Ankhapur, to the current day. In many ways, Ankhapur is more like a city of the reunited Tethyr or the Vilhon Reach......"

Good find! It looks like there are some Jhaamdathan city-colonies still in existence then (and at least one with "purer" Jhaamdathan roots than the rest. For a seeker of Jhaamdathan knowledge, Ankhapur seems like the best place to start.

Just imagine what Jhaamdathan lore may lie hidden there. What was hidden for fear of being targeted by another unnatural catastrophe. What was destroyed in anger out of being "abandoned" by Auppenser. The possiblities are endless. :)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  13:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To drop a quick note to help keep things more sensible, why not suggest that Ankhapur has among the only remnants of Old Jhaamdathan architecture still standing in the Realms? That and perhaps a few libraries filled with old psionics lore and holy books of the old faith of Auppenser are all their legacies of Jhaamdath, along with perhaps a few watered-down-by-now bloodlines.

Their being more like a city of Tethyr was in terms of their ethnology and politics and social structure, while other Arnaden cities are almost wholly Calishite in nature and racial mix.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2006 :  02:02:23  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It makes sense to me that some of the colonies along the Lake of Steam would be sanctuaries that some of the Remnants not killed off by the tidal wave fled to. Personally I am dropping a Udoxia off in there.

I am still confused by one thing though, in the Tyr write up his crusade cuts across the broken up Jhaamdath in -247 DR and he runs out a Demigod, whose name escapes me at this point. Is there any connection there to the fall of Jhaamdath?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  12:23:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Octa, the Demigod you are referring to is probably Valigan Thirdborn, a god of Chaos and Anarchy. Tyr eventually slew Valigan. Ed has written about that incident here at Candlekeep (see previous pages). Also, you might wish to check out the "Sages of Realmslore" section for discussion about the Jhaamdathan pantheon.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  13:24:59  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you Ed, would the Ghostwise halflings be worshipers of Auppenser as they have a psionic Telepathic inate power. I would also like to know where you place any current temples or places of worship of Auppenser. I think that a place of worship or an outpost of The Jhaamdath empire would have been into the Astral realms. I mean the netherness were into the relmspace spelljamming aspects so it makes sense that the Jhaamdath would have explored the planes a bit. I think though that they might have abandoned these conlonies, and such upon the distruction of their empire, and the sleeping of Auppenser. But it would make a great story line for say a church temple, of the Nomad disipline that "went dormant" with their god and now awakens since the Time of Troubles or so but tell me what you think i antisipate your reponse.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  14:26:56  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to keep bugging you ed. But i do have another question. Do you think that having been asleep for so long that Auppenser dreams? Would he then be able to add dreams, and dreaming to his portfolio? I mean it makes sense to me but i was wondering how you see it. I think that would make a cool plot line and intro i mean your god visiting you in your dreams, maybe even being able to recruite new followers through their dreams. What about the fact that he could be kept upto date on so manything i mean you think about your day when you dream. He could create temporary avatars through the sleepwalkers? Just a couple of ideas for ye noble scholar of the lost faiths of The Realms.

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  14:23:47  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have a question for you Ed, would the Ghostwise halflings be worshipers of Auppenser as they have a psionic Telepathic inate power. I would also like to know where you place any current temples or places of worship of Auppenser. I think that a place of worship or an outpost of The Jhaamdath empire would have been into the Astral realms. I mean the netherness were into the relmspace spelljamming aspects so it makes sense that the Jhaamdath would have explored the planes a bit. I think though that they might have abandoned these conlonies, and such upon the distruction of their empire, and the sleeping of Auppenser. But it would make a great story line for say a church temple, of the Nomad disipline that "went dormant" with their god and now awakens since the Time of Troubles or so but tell me what you think i antisipate your reponse.

Hey VonRaven!

I don't see many (if any) Ghostwise halflings worshipping Auppenser in the same way that derro, mind flayers, and other beings with innate psionic powers wouldn't worship him. It would be similar to any being with innate magical powers. Creatures with innate magic abilities (drow, genasi, beholders, etc.) do not automatically worship Mystra nor are they drawn to her simply for having magical abilities.

Given the expansive drives of the Jhaamdathan people, I could definitely see adventurous types seeking out planar places to expand the realm. That is a great idea of yours! The Astral Plane would be one of them. I imagine centuries of Jhaamdathans living there might "astralize" them into another race (elan or something more Faerunian flavored - think Shadovar?).

The Time of Troubles would be a great catalyst for the return of Auppenser. If, after that unsteady time, people turned away from the current gods, they might have come across long forgotten gods to worship and in time build up a church or a following strong enough to stir the god of psionics to waken.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2006 :  14:30:16  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry to keep bugging you ed. But i do have another question. Do you think that having been asleep for so long that Auppenser dreams? Would he then be able to add dreams, and dreaming to his portfolio? I mean it makes sense to me but i was wondering how you see it. I think that would make a cool plot line and intro i mean your god visiting you in your dreams, maybe even being able to recruite new followers through their dreams. What about the fact that he could be kept upto date on so manything i mean you think about your day when you dream. He could create temporary avatars through the sleepwalkers? Just a couple of ideas for ye noble scholar of the lost faiths of The Realms.

Hey Again VRtD,

The Dream portfolio is a cool possibility. It begs the question, can a sleeping god add to his portfolio? Can someone give a sleeping god a portfolio? To tie into your Time of Troubles idea, Ao could have had plans for a slow return of Auppenser by giving him that portfolio, perhaps forseeing that Auppenser would rise again in a decade or two.

Your ideas are really good. As a god of dreams, Auppenser would have a means to peep in the minds of every sleeping being and learn the events of the Realms. He could even communicate with his followers via dreams and set into motion a series of events that would herald his return. That would be a much more dignified return than just waking up. Of course, there would be those who would try to stop that (Shar coming to mind first). And that would make for an exciting story!

- Ed

Edited by - edbonny on 22 Feb 2006 11:58:34
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  01:17:28  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds like an excellent idea. It's nice when the idea is both logical and interesting. I think it'd make a really cool story.

quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:

Hey Again VRtD,

The Dream portfolio is a cool possibility. It begs the question, can a sleeping god add to his portfolio? Can someone give a sleeping god a portfolio? To tie into your Time of Troubles idea, Ao could have had plans for a slow return of Auppenser by giving him that portfolio, perhaps forseeing that Auppenser would rise again in a decade or two.

Your ideas are really good. As a god of dreams, Auppenser would have a means to peep in the minds of every sleeping people and learn the events of the Realms. He could even communicate with his followers via dream and set into motion a series of events that would herald his return. That would be a much more dignified return than just waking up. Of course, there would be those who would try to stop that (Shar coming to mind first). And that would make for an exciting story!

- Ed

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  16:06:35  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am humbled that ye both find my idea good. I would love to see a story or something about it i mean i know wizards is trying to add psionics to the realms yet they are trying to keep it optional as well which is kinda a lame way out for them i feel. I mean i understand the dissention among the ranks of gamers is the reason with some not liking psionics and all but thats a subject sore that it maybe for another time and place. I think wizards should just buckup and make up its mind and all one way or another. I hate to say it but wizards seems to be just hard to submit to i mean if they aren't accepting your submissions ed, how could anyone else expect to get in.
Anyway i was wondering what Auppenser's realm would look like. I was also curious as to what the other sub powers/ disiplines that the cities after the 6th were used to justify were. Also how does the new complete psionic handbook, and the powers of .... fit into the Auppenser theme. I mean besides being great opertunities for Wizards to introduce the god. I mean they didn't use a story for Bane's rebirth, or Waukeen's return. But its their world i just play in it. :)

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  22:08:10  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many people quite like Psionics and would like to see it better developed in the realms. There shouldn't necessarily be a lot more of it - it is supposed to be something special, and in most ways, a real advantage - butI think it would be nice to explore the most prevalent characters who possess. Whether or not that warrants a series called "The Psions" in the same vein as "The Rogues" or "The Fighters", I'm not sure, but it would be nice to see a bit more of it.

There have been small amounts sprinkled here and there recently. The Erevis Cale series has a decent amount of Psionics in it. It's just peripheral enough, however, that it hasn't become common.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 22 Feb 2006 22:09:16
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2006 :  22:23:15  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway i was wondering what Auppenser's realm would look like. I was also curious as to what the other sub powers/ disiplines that the cities after the 6th were used to justify were. Also how does the new complete psionic handbook, and the powers of .... fit into the Auppenser theme. I mean besides being great opertunities for Wizards to introduce the god. I mean they didn't use a story for Bane's rebirth, or Waukeen's return. But its their world i just play in it. :)

Auppenser's Realm, eh? I imagine an expansive city scape, tranquil in mood and idyllic in appearance -- filled with gleaming white stone towers, rotundas and paved streets -- all perfectly balanced with an equal amount of woodland "patches," lush gardens and tended lawns. Its residents include peaceful psionic beings such as gem dragons.

I have to get take a look at the Complete Psionic book before I answer the rest of your questions.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  05:16:03  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed, and Eytan Bernstein,
I really appreciate the reponses, as to weither a god who is sleeping can add to his portfolio, sure i mean why not Cyric added maddness to his when he was mad, why not add sleeping, and dreams to Auppensers. I get what you are saying about shar opposing him for dreams, but i feel that lovitar, cyric, or shar would be the ones more opposed to him for dreams mostly because they would desire the nightmare aspects of it. But i could state that due to his neutral nature that Auppenser would have a pretty good chance of obtaining that too, i mean if he viewed nightmares as a way to help awaken people to change and self inlightenment. Not as a way to torment or torture others with dark visions and what not. I also was wondering if some of Auppenser's followers would have become the unbodied upon jhaamdath's distruction. Oh yeah what if one of the outposts of Auppenser/Jhaamdath was located in the dream realm, and call it a monistary of the Third Eye, or the DreamingMind or what not. If you would like my help in developing anything at anytime i would be honored. Feel free to private msg me. :)

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  04:11:01  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to add on to this until you have read the first posting but i recently read the Erudites from Dragon Magazine #319, I would like to know your thoughts on them Ed. I have heard from several that they are overpowered. I have to say i like the idea though, and think that it could be applied aproperatly of course(evil grin) to Auppenser and his religion in the realms what with its seekers of knowlage, or of course it could work as an oghma like attempt at his own psionics or some such thing. Just a thought to run by you. Oh yeah if Auppenser adds dreams to his portfolio then would the ebberron quasi's be able to be modified to make a dream realm like followers or something of Auppenser in the realms, at least as a jumping off point?

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hate to add on to this until you have read the first posting but i recently read the Erudites from Dragon Magazine #319, I would like to know your thoughts on them Ed. I have heard from several that they are overpowered. I have to say i like the idea though, and think that it could be applied aproperatly of course(evil grin) to Auppenser and his religion in the realms what with its seekers of knowlage, or of course it could work as an oghma like attempt at his own psionics or some such thing. Just a thought to run by you. Oh yeah if Auppenser adds dreams to his portfolio then would the ebberron quasi's be able to be modified to make a dream realm like followers or something of Auppenser in the realms, at least as a jumping off point?

Hey VRtD!

I am going to have to dig up that Dragon for the Erudites to comment on it.

As for Auppenser and Eberron, it seems possible for all that to happen. Are you also suggesting an actual, divine connection between Auppenser and Eberron? Or just mining Eberron's dream realm / psionic elements for it?

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  22:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:

Hey VRtD!

I am going to have to dig up that Dragon for the Erudites to comment on it.

As for Auppenser and Eberron, it seems possible for all that to happen. Are you also suggesting an actual, divine connection between Auppenser and Eberron? Or just mining Eberron's dream realm / psionic elements for it?

- Ed

Ed, don't tell us that you've turned into a blackguard, and used your money to buy those E****** tomes?

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  16:00:21  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Ed, don't tell us that you've turned into a blackguard, and used your money to buy those E****** tomes?

Um... I was only trying to be current. You know, um, stay in touch with the gaming world as it evolves. Yeah, that's it.
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2006 :  22:22:39  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just mining ed not daring to suggest a connection to Eberron (which i don't know if i like just yet or not) and the glorious Realms! I do think that the Dreamlike beings would make a good jumping off point though for a new race or sub race of beings for Auppenser to have created. THe children of his mind if you would. By the way Ed what did you think of the post just before that one:

Thanks Ed, and Eytan Bernstein,
I really appreciate the reponses, as to weither a god who is sleeping can add to his portfolio, sure i mean why not Cyric added maddness to his when he was mad, why not add sleeping, and dreams to Auppensers. I get what you are saying about shar opposing him for dreams, but i feel that lovitar, cyric, or shar would be the ones more opposed to him for dreams mostly because they would desire the nightmare aspects of it. But i could state that due to his neutral nature that Auppenser would have a pretty good chance of obtaining that too, i mean if he viewed nightmares as a way to help awaken people to change and self inlightenment. Not as a way to torment or torture others with dark visions and what not. I also was wondering if some of Auppenser's followers would have become the unbodied upon jhaamdath's distruction. Oh yeah what if one of the outposts of Auppenser/Jhaamdath was located in the dream realm, and call it a monistary of the Third Eye, or the DreamingMind or what not. If you would like my help in developing anything at anytime i would be honored. Feel free to private msg me.

I am curious to hear what you think of Auppenser adding dreaming to his portfolio, and all.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2006 :  14:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Complete Psionic preview in March and Beyond had some interesting Jhaamdath firendly material

"The divine mind is a devout warrior whose psionic abilities allow him to channel his god's beneficence into psionic powers, as well as auras that help his comrades."

I'd orgionally though of making the Bladelords of Jhaamdaths Psychic Warriors with levels of the Divine Champion PrC but the Divine Mind might be closer to what I had in mind (pardon the pun)

The mantles seem to be very similar to Initiate of X feats for FR clerics

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 05 Mar 2006 14:06:02
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  16:05:37  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really appreciate the reponses, as to weither a god who is sleeping can add to his portfolio, sure i mean why not Cyric added maddness to his when he was mad, why not add sleeping, and dreams to Auppensers. I get what you are saying about shar opposing him for dreams, but i feel that lovitar, cyric, or shar would be the ones more opposed to him for dreams mostly because they would desire the nightmare aspects of it. But i could state that due to his neutral nature that Auppenser would have a pretty good chance of obtaining that too, i mean if he viewed nightmares as a way to help awaken people to change and self inlightenment. Not as a way to torment or torture others with dark visions and what not. I also was wondering if some of Auppenser's followers would have become the unbodied upon jhaamdath's distruction. Oh yeah what if one of the outposts of Auppenser/Jhaamdath was located in the dream realm, and call it a monistary of the Third Eye, or the DreamingMind or what not. If you would like my help in developing anything at anytime i would be honored. Feel free to private msg me.

I am curious to hear what you think of Auppenser adding dreaming to his portfolio, and all.

Hey VRtD!

I have thought a bit about Auppenser and the dreaming/sleep/nightmare additions to his portfolio. It works well for a god of psionics, the art of the mind (mindweave?). It's a very good concept... and if it should happen, who knows where it may lead.

I see a few roadblocks that would be interesting to navigate. What happens if Auppenser wakes up? Does he lose the sleeping part of his portfolio? What is his justification for keeping it? Would he want it once he became conscious?

Unbodied Jhaamdathans: Anything is possible and in the event of Jhaamdath's destruction. Not common with unbodied but probable that it happened at least once.

As for putting a Jhaamdathan outpost on the dream realm, that might be premature as Auppenser was not a god of dreams during the empire. Keep in mind that most surviving Jhaamdathans forsook Auppenser after the empire's fall (the newly comatose god could grant no spells). If Auppenser was to ever get the dreams portfolio, it would likely be centuries after he first went into his coma and had a chance to recover from the crippling blow that placed him in a coma. I could see one or two Jhaamdathan-era monasteries dedicated to Auppenser on the Astral Plane but the dream realm might be a stretch.

If Wizards should ever contact me for some Auppenser or Jhaamdathan work, you will be first on my list to consult!

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2006 :  17:12:17  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks ed for all the information, and the vote of confidence! I really hope that wizards gets off their collective undecisive arses (yes in a scottish accent) and gets to work on Auppenser. OF course they better contact you, oh master of all things Auppenser/Jhaamdath. I do see what your saying about the premature move to place things in the Dream realms, but as for keeping his portfolio of dreams if he obtained them well why not i mean once again look at cyric he is sane (sort of ) now and he is keeping the maddness portfolio. Maybe Auppenser would just be kinda a duel god i mean meditation is similar to sleep.Oh and the mindweave thing sounds interesting as well. I do like the talent being the name for psionics to distinguish from wizardry titled the art and all.
I wonder if and if any how long any monasteries on the face of Toril lasted, i mean they were opposing Calmiport and slavery. I would think one or two hidden in the desert would have existed. I also wonder if they were devoted specifically to any disciplines. Oh yeah any future plans for any realm books, or products coming up?
I would be honored to help you with anything, and feel humbled to even be considered for such a worthy and noble task.

Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  23:00:15  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have another (yes i have almost limitless questions) question for you ed. What do you think about the portfolio of time belonging to noone now. I mean two gods used to claim it back in Netherness empire days, and now both are dead and no one claims time in their portfolio. Could Auppenser claim it? If not and i admit its a bit of a streach then what portfolios do you think he could/should claim or add to his portfolio other than dreams. I mean the demigod of wind added portals to his portfolio. Speaking of Portals do you think that any Jhaamdath portals to other planes or places are still intact anywhere? And what unique things did the Jhaamdath empire create. Are their any secret organizations that keep/gather the lost lore of the Jhaamdath and psionics. Other than illithids as they would have probabbly have grabbed as much as they could when Jhaamdath died.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000