Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Bonny
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  11:30:32  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

From the excerpt. Please tell me that this doesn't say this in the sourcebook:

"But the moon elf wizard known as the Srinshee, now the de facto regent of Cormanthyr, held firm to Aravae's wishes, primarily because preparing the high magic necessary for the succession ceremony would take at least the remaining year and a half of the Mourning Days."

The Srinshee is NOT A MOON ELF! At least according to Cormanthyr!

That chapter was not assigned to me so I cannot speak to any reason regarding a change in the Srinshee's elven subrace.

- Ed Bonny

Edited by - edbonny on 04 Feb 2005 14:55:34
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  14:45:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

"But the moon elf wizard known as the Srinshee, now the de facto regent of Cormanthyr, held firm to Aravae's wishes, primarily because preparing the high magic necessary for the succession ceremony would take at least the remaining year and a half of the Mourning Days."

Cormanthyr notes she is a gold elf while Fall of Myth Drannor notes that she is a moon elf. Given that these sources are in conflict, obviously the authors of "Lost Empires" went with the latter. They've cleared up an inconsistency, not created one.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  14:56:45  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Cormanthyr notes she is a gold elf while Fall of Myth Drannor notes that she is a moon elf. Given that these sources are in conflict, obviously the authors of "Lost Empires" went with the latter. They've cleared up an inconsistency, not created one.

-- George Krashos

Thank Oghma for George!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  15:11:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bah! Sounds again like moon elf propaganda trying to take credit for the actions of a heroic gold elf.

Seriously, thanks for clearing this subject up.

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bonny
Thank Oghma for George!

To paraphrase a song, was it getting hot in here? I think you need to edit your signature to have a neon sign flashing what parts of the tome you worked on.
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  15:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hooked on the Realms?

I can faintly remember, in the dim corners of my memory somewhere behind my ears, reading a few articles in Dragon Magazine written by an Ed Greenwood.

I remember snippets of text describing a cadre of wizards in a place called Silverymoon, strange references to "the North", and Six Shields, each of which with a very detailed history and wonderful special powers not found in the games I had played.

Now I cannot for the life of me remember whether those six shields were the creations of Ed Greenwood and unfortunately, those Dragon's are buried somewhere in a maze of bookshelves in a basement far from my home, but I remember reading some of his first articles and being "hooked" at that moment.

Erf, I'm getting old.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  16:18:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

-- George Krashos

And yet Ed's El novels notes she's a gold elf as well. :( Sigh oh well another lore part I have to add to my list of WOTC mess up's.

Thank's Ed, no not Ed Greenwood :), for the answer as well even though I don't like George's answer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 04 Feb 2005 16:22:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  00:34:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Hooked on the Realms?

I can faintly remember, in the dim corners of my memory somewhere behind my ears, reading a few articles in Dragon Magazine written by an Ed Greenwood.

I remember snippets of text describing a cadre of wizards in a place called Silverymoon, strange references to "the North", and Six Shields, each of which with a very detailed history and wonderful special powers not found in the games I had played.

Now I cannot for the life of me remember whether those six shields were the creations of Ed Greenwood and unfortunately, those Dragon's are buried somewhere in a maze of bookshelves in a basement far from my home, but I remember reading some of his first articles and being "hooked" at that moment.

Erf, I'm getting old.

Six Very Special Shields were from a Dragon magazine #80s IIRC. They were reprinted in the FR4 The Magister accessory.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  00:38:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yet Ed's El novels notes she's a gold elf as well. :( Sigh oh well another lore part I have to add to my list of WOTC mess up's.

Thank's Ed, no not Ed Greenwood :), for the answer as well even though I don't like George's answer. :)

Granted I've only skimmed through "Elminster in Myth Drannor" before posting this, but I can't seem to find a single reference to the Srinshee being a gold elf in this novel. Lots of references to "old elf" definitely; so I'd be interested to know where she is labelled as a gold ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  01:11:23  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash,

You scare me sometimes.

On a side note, am I mistaken in reading that you're a fellow ambulance chaser... er, jurist, from the Land Down Under?

Now, as for a subject for Mr. Bonny, (since I have a tendency to get off on tangents ), how much of the ancient, original material we all dimly recollect being published (with the exception of Kuje, Krash, and certain other longbeards 'round here who seem to be eidetic at times) is actually recycled or used in the updated products?

I remember Ed's original articles as being absolutely wonderful pieces of work that not only provided the gamers of the world a series of crunchy materials to work with for inclusion into our games, but he also exquisitely detailed and thought out histories and backgrounds that allowed our imaginations to run wild.

Is there some 'master plan' that these originals, ahem, in the terms of the lawyers, sets a precedent or basis that current designers, writers, and editors draw from in updating them and expanding upon the original storylines?

My curiosity is piqued now that we have folks actively seeking accountability for reconciliations of histories, tidbits, and facts from older Realmslore.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  02:59:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Granted I've only skimmed through "Elminster in Myth Drannor" before posting this, but I can't seem to find a single reference to the Srinshee being a gold elf in this novel. Lots of references to "old elf" definitely; so I'd be interested to know where she is labelled as a gold ...

-- George Krashos

I think I have that novel around here someplace. If I can find it, I'll skim through it tonight and try to find any/all references to Srinshee's actual elven subrace. If that happens, I'll report back what I find.

Of course if I wanted to be a complete smart ass, I'd come back with, "Hey, on page 99, she's called a wood elf!"

SB
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  04:38:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,

I will correct this at least. I don't blame the 3.5 game designers for this since George is right she is listed as a moon elf in the Fall of Myth Drannor even though she's listed as an gold elf in Cormanthyr.

So now I get to blame Steven. :) Cough cough!

But in the Srinshee's case, since she is a Chosen of Mystra, I can let it slide since the Chosen can shapechange and take whatever forms they want. It's still a bit annoying that TSR screwed this up though.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  05:05:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she was a star elf that came back early...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  13:45:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

I just went through the novel as well. I could not find any reference (moon, gold, wood, star, etc.) as to what subrace the Srinshee belongs to. Thus, if anyone knows of an EG novel that has such a reference please provide a page number if possible.

SB who thinks it might be time to move this discussion out of the Ed Bonny thread and into another one more fitting for the topic.
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  16:48:25  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Now, as for a subject for Mr. Bonny, (since I have a tendency to get off on tangents ), how much of the ancient, original material we all dimly recollect being published (with the exception of Kuje, Krash, and certain other longbeards 'round here who seem to be eidetic at times) is actually recycled or used in the updated products?

I referenced nearly every 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition FR RPG product (my DnD library) printed to date plus I was given access to two FR books that had not yet hit the shelves. It was extremely time consuming plus my office looked like a WWII war room with notes, maps, and printouts taped to the walls. Couple that with the piles of FR books on the floor and you have a good idea of my life while writing the book.

When I provided Rich with list the references I used for the LEOF splash page, he simply condensed it to appear as this:

[[1st and 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms sourcebooks too numerous to list; a number of Forgotten Realms novels;]]

There was also a ton of material provided by the amazing Eric Boyd.

I am a long time reader of Dragon with my first memory of Ed Greenwood's name tied to his Hell's articles. The second one I recall clearly was the Incantatrix which I thought was very, very exciting.

Now to answer your question: For myself, the book involved including a huge amount of previously published material by building upon it, expanding it, and sometimes taking it in new, Realms-appropriate directions. Those who read Rich Baker's recent novel and know how he exposed the Nameless Dungeon's never-before-known secret history will find my similar things happening in some of my work in LEOF.

There were also a lot of vague areas in FR's past that were ripe for developing. Imaskar and Jhaamdath are good examples of that. In LEOF, we get a more detailed history of Jhaamdath and the names of their famous 12 cities. A lot of Imaskari history can be pieced together from the information in the Horde FR books which was done and then it was fleshed out some more with a good glimpse into the Imaskari mindset and culture. There is still a lot more work to be done with them.

I am rambling here but one last thought: My philosophy was that the previously printed material (no matter how small) had to be written first before writing new material. If this was going to be an accurate historical sourcebook, it had to be thorough. I hope you find a good balance between being all inclusive and adding new material.
- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  22:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!

George, George, George....

Don't you know that later references are only considered canonical if they explain the inconsistency, not create it? I nother words, I screwed up back in FOMD, as the only source on Srinshee when I was writing C:EoE was Ed and his EiMD novel.

I will own that THIS WAS PROBABLY MY SCREW-UP (since I can't check my original files to see if the mix-up was inserted in design or editing). Mea culpa, mea culpa.

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  22:48:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven asked me to switch the Srinshee stuff to his folder, so let's leave poor Ed alone since he didn't work on that part of the book and let's go bug Steven. :)

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2005 :  00:24:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Krash,

You scare me sometimes.

On a side note, am I mistaken in reading that you're a fellow ambulance chaser... er, jurist, from the Land Down Under?

Scare you? You should see what Eric Boyd and Steven Schend do to me on a regular basis. I just keep the old stuff under control: they do that as well and come up with fascinating new stuff!

Oh and yes, I am a 'jurist' - by necessity. If I had a choice, I'd make my living as an "FR Consultant".

quote:

Well, if you'd read the sources as many times as I have (usually because Eric will drop me a one-line e-mail along the lines of "Can you remember where Ed mentioned werebeholders?" whereupon I'll start at the beginning and work my way through ...) you get to remember lots of stuff. I also made a point many years back of photocopying all the FR articles that appeared in DRAGON and Polyhedron, which makes it easier to look stuff up.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Sequestered
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Sequestered's Homepage Send Sequestered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got my copy of LEoF of Friday, and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it, great job! I know from the contents thread that Travis Stout did the chapter on Netheril, but he doesn't come here much does he? I could be wrong. But anyway, I have a question that you might be able to help me with. The Spell Mantle feat on p. 112 says that one can activate a hung spell as a spell-like ability; does that mean that it is not a single use magic item like the Contingent Spell feat in UE? That seems to make more sense, going back to the Mantle spell in Secrets of the Magister, but I would like to know what you think. Your time and help is greatly appreciated!
sequestered

You think you're hot sh*t in a champagne glass now, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!---The Monarch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  00:44:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that Rich Baker tinkered with the Spell Mantle feat. You might want to ask him.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  01:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, Richard, Travis, and everyone else who contributed to LoeF...

FANTASTIC!
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  15:24:01  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm pretty sure that Rich Baker tinkered with the Spell Mantle feat. You might want to ask him.

-- George Krashos

I also believe that Spell Mantle was Rich's.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Sequestered
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  16:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Sequestered's Homepage Send Sequestered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool, thanks George and Ed, I'll ask Mr. Baker.

You think you're hot sh*t in a champagne glass now, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!---The Monarch
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  03:18:32  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finaly got a copy and have read as far as Realms of the High forest. Mostly skimming through Sonjar's Tower.

So a few comments most regarding Imaskar of course.

Was there ever a consideration to make use of the "Secret Imaskar Empire" in the Buried secrets section on p71 regarding Semphâr?

Why isn't there any mentioning of Madryoch in the text or time line? I got the impression he was a biggie in Imaskar during its fall, why otherwise the title "First". If he wasn't the first to go crazy, or something that is.

Nice to see some info from Blood Charge implemented, all though I think that the Caliph will be in for suprise if he ever finds those four black items. They are nice though if one are willing to pay the price.

I also have to say I really like the Mage Lord, wow. He is my new favo prestige class. To bad my mage died in the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar. Guess our party are not as good as the good old fabled knights.

I also like the greenbound creature, feat and spell. That just makes the sample troll plain nasty

Well that's all for now ...

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 25 Feb 2005 03:20:50
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  03:54:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sequestered

I got my copy of LEoF of Friday, and I am EXTREMELY pleased with it, great job! I know from the contents thread that Travis Stout did the chapter on Netheril, but he doesn't come here much does he? I could be wrong. But anyway, I have a question that you might be able to help me with. The Spell Mantle feat on p. 112 says that one can activate a hung spell as a spell-like ability; does that mean that it is not a single use magic item like the Contingent Spell feat in UE? That seems to make more sense, going back to the Mantle spell in Secrets of the Magister, but I would like to know what you think. Your time and help is greatly appreciated!
sequestered

Actually, I wrote almost the entire chapter on Netheril, so you can blame me for the mistakes therein. The Spell Mantle feat was my creation, as was Craft Scepter (I worked really hard to get them included), but Rich worked on both of them. As has been discussed in GenCons past, a large chunk of Ed's original vision for Netheril (before the Netheril boxed set) was to focus on spell mantles and scepters. Obviously, the Netheril box ignored both of these design guideposts (not to mention other snafus like putting the Narrow Sea in the wrong place). I hope I managed to bring both mantles and scepters back in gracefully, in large part through the discussion of the legacies of Low and High Netheril (an idea I think was George's originally). (Note I also explained away the Narrow Sea mistake in Serpent Kingdoms. The mistake is obvious if you notice where Ed put the ruined ports of the Narrow Sea in FR13 - Anauroch, which preceded the Netheril boxed set publication.)

Regarding the mechanics of Spell Mantle, I have to confess that I didn't realize that the Contingent Spell feat created single use magic items until recently (my oversight), so I actually had it in mind that it was "permanent magical item", not a single use one. That said, I'm sure Rich wasn't confused and we have to go with the exact wording (at least until there's an errata, assuming one is warrented). I would suggest asking Rich this point on the main thread he reads on the WoTC boards for a definitive explanation.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Sequestered
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2005 :  16:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Sequestered's Homepage Send Sequestered a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mr. Boyd for the insight, I'll head over to WOTC right now.

Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  04:31:53  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn
Was there ever a consideration to make use of the "Secret Imaskar Empire" in the Buried secrets section on p71 regarding Semphâr?

The appearance of the "Secretos of the Imaskar Empire" as the web enhancement was a surprise to me. I do not know of any discussions between the author and Rich Baker that may have tied the adventure to Semphâr (although this is an excellent idea).

quote:
Why isn't there any mentioning of Madryoch in the text or time line? I got the impression he was a biggie in Imaskar during its fall, why otherwise the title "First". If he wasn't the first to go crazy, or something that is.

There were a few Imaskari historical items that did not make it into the timeline or the chapter. There was also one about Imaskari citizens of Bhaluin seeing a floating city off in the distance. Also dropped was the stat write up of Guamahavi, the Purple Dragon. There are others but they have to be unpacked from down in the basement.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  06:28:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

There was also one about Imaskari citizens of Bhaluin seeing a floating city off in the distance.

Okay, now after mentioning this one, you realize you're obligated to expand upon it, right?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  16:28:38  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny
The appearance of the "Secretos of the Imaskar Empire" as the web enhancement was a surprise to me. I do not know of any discussions between the author and Rich Baker that may have tied the adventure to Semphâr (although this is an excellent idea).

Hmm, well I wasn't aiming for the web enhancement. There is a line in the Horde Boxed set which mentions a secret Imaskari empire. I quote;

"Unknown to the Caliph, agents of the secret Imaskar Empire have learned of his plans. In it they see a chance to embarrass Semphar and
potentially ruin the country’s trade. They have secretly assembled a band of agents to shadow the Caliph’s emissaries. These agents have orders to assassinate this new leader, if there is one, and make it seem as though the Caliph’s men did the job. That, the Imaskari are certain, will create a rift between the people of the steppes and Semphar. Trade will certainly suffer and merchants will be forced to look to other routes, particularly a more southern way through the desert and Solon. As Semphar weakens, the the ancient might of Imaskar will once again grow."

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 27 Feb 2005 16:33:50
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2005 :  17:55:18  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Okay, now after mentioning this one, you realize you're obligated to expand upon it, right?

This was a vague reference in the timeline about 100 years before the fall of Imaskar... something along the lines of "The astonished citizens of Bhaluin witness a mysterious flying city on their northern horizon. Artificers teleporting to investigate the city report of a northern empire of human wizards comprised of flying cities."

- Ed

Edited by - edbonny on 28 Feb 2005 15:26:31
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  00:13:14  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn
Hmm, well I wasn't aiming for the web enhancement. There is a line in the Horde Boxed set which mentions a secret Imaskari empire. I quote;

"Unknown to the Caliph, agents of the secret Imaskar Empire have learned of his plans. In it they see a chance to embarrass Semphar and potentially ruin the country’s trade. They have secretly assembled a band of agents to shadow the Caliph’s emissaries. These agents have orders to assassinate this new leader, if there is one, and make it seem as though the Caliph’s men did the job. That, the Imaskari are certain, will create a rift between the people of the steppes and Semphar. Trade will certainly suffer and merchants will be forced to look to other routes, particularly a more southern way through the desert and Solon. As Semphar weakens, the the ancient might of Imaskar will once again grow."

I am very familiar with this quote and when considering it for LEoF, I factored in everything that was published about the Imaskar. For one, the Horde boxset was published in 1990 and nothing published after that date ever refers to this secret empire that is apparently active in local politics and trading.

I also would not call the Deep Imaskari city a secret Imaskar empire (and it is almost certain that the Horde boxset was not refering to the Deep Imaskar people). Their isolationist mentality just does not lend itself to meddling in Semphar's politics.

All this leads to a quandary. What do we have:
> A secret empire, derived from the original, that is very active but apparently nobody knows about (not even the Mulhorandi).

As has been said before, a lot of ideas and material turned over to Wizards did not make it into print. Imaskar was an area I was trying to flesh out a lot but as we all know, space is limited. One of these was a prestige class known as the Portal Lord, ancient specialized wizards of Imaskar whose secrets have been handed down throughout the centuries by the ancestors of a clandestine group of surviving artificers who fled to Ulgarth during the uprising.

I wanted to tie these Portal Lords to the Horde boxset statement, clarifying to say that these artificers believe themselves to be the heirs of the Imaskari Empire and who have worked for centuries in secret to put themselves back in power.

- Ed

Edited by - edbonny on 09 Mar 2005 01:48:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000