Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Sean K Reynolds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

seankreynolds
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  18:24:40  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, what George said. I wish I could help (people contact me about CS once a year or so), but I really don't have any more recent info than 1995 when I started at TSR.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2016 :  02:24:32  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, no worries and thank you (both) anyway!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
604 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  06:10:11  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Sean,

This might be stretching the memory a bit! When you were working on the population figures for the 3e Campaign Guide, you came up with a population figure for the Waterdeep region of approximately 10x the city population, coming in at about 1.3 million. I know you worked hard trying to get consistent population numbers and population densities right across the continent from reading your old mailing list posts, and I was wondering what regional boundaries you had in mind for that Waterdeep population? The immediate area around the city seems too small for such a population, so I was wondering if those numbers might be taken from a far greater area.

Thanks for your time.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  07:27:39  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Without going into a lot of details, I looked at my old spreadsheet and we estimated area sizes in square inches on the old map, and there were several steps where we estimated and randomized things to get some numbers that I felt comfortable with as reasonable and consistent across the continent. But those aren't the numbers that ended up in the book, so someone else must have tinkered with them, and I can't account for what they were thinking in terms of how much Waterdeep territory it included or even what ratio of urban to rural people they were using.

Sorry I can't be more help with this question. :(

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
604 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2017 :  07:32:19  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh, oh well! It would be interesting to know who next to hassle if you can remember who might have played with the numbers. Either way, thanks for the quick reply.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

seankreynolds

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2017 :  04:46:51  Show Profile  Visit seankreynolds's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich Baker was creative director for FR at that time, so he'd prolly know. :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000