Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2023 :  14:54:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I love how we all lapse into looking at elves through a Tolkien-esque LoTR lens. Good and noble, helping humans and dwarves and hobbits, etc. etc. The elves of Faerûn are the elves of the Silmarillion: some good, some bad, some in between, some welcoming, some xenophobic ... just like long-lived humans, really. In real terms, elves were pretty much the apex predator of the Realms at the height of their civilisation and very comfortably enjoyed their superiority in magic, tech and resources. They did things for themselves, and didn't care too much about the other races. It was only when their power dwindled that you saw them entering into alliances with dwarves and humans. Pride cometh and all that.

-- George Krashos

One of my fave evil groups is the Eldreth Veluuthra.

It took me a while to get away from the "always good" elven thing... But I'm not arguing, here, that elves are always good. I'm just saying stupid and evil are not the same thing.

Ditto, and it saddens me that in current times that this group will be mostly downplayed.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  00:12:08  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello eric l boyd sir

I was hoping to inquire about Vanrakdoom, web enhancement for Champions of Ruin. I'd link here, but CK breaks those links. There was a spell named there, "Trobriand's Glassteel" on page 15. It makes a reference to City of Splendors, also by you, which has instead a spell known as "Trobriand's Glassee", with no indication of any glassteel spells anywhere. Furthermore, the glassee spell has no effect on durability, while the glassteel spell is referred to as granting an object the durability of steel.

Was this a simple mistake, or should we see it instead as cutting room floor stuff that didn't make the cut?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  01:53:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appear that "Trobriand's Glassteel" is a typo or error.

"Trobriand's Glassee" is a 2nd Edition spell that permits a spell caster to "By means of this spell, the wizard is able to make a section of metal, stone, or wood as transparent as glass to his gaze, or even make it into transparent material as explained hereafter. Normally, the glassee spell can make up to 4 inches of metal, 6 inches of stone, and 20 inches of wood transparent. The spell will not work on lead, gold, or platinum. The wizard can opt to make the glassee work only for himself for the duration of the spell, or he can actually make a transparent area, a one-way window, in the material affected. Either case gives a viewing area 3 feet wide by 2 feet high. If a window is created, it has the strength of the original material.

The material component of the spell is a small piece of crystal or glass."

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  02:43:41  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had made the same consideration, Kentinal, but ruled it out. The spell you've described is called just "Glassee", not "Trobriand's Glassee".
https://adnd2e.fandom.com/wiki/Glassee

I thought maybe the spell was just that under a different name, but it wouldn't square with what I needed to describe.
"The statues are fashioned from black chalcedony that has been magically transformed (using Trobriand’s glassteel, a new spell from City of Splendors: Waterdeep) into a transparent material with the durability of steel. Each is worth 2,000 gp for materials alone, and as much as three times that amount to a collector of religious or historical objects of art."
No link provided; Archive dot org messes those up. I can only offer you that if you go to AskValhaeria and punch in Glassteel, it'll spit out links that should include one to VANRAKDOOM.pdf in VANRAKDOOM.zip.

You'll notice neither Glassee nor Trobriand's Glassee can grant the black chalcedony the durability of steel. If Trobriand's glassee provided that property, I'd see it as a foregone conclusion that's what it meant. This more closely resembles the Glassteel spell, which did not make it to 3e, instead being replaced by glassteel as a distinct material forevermore.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Glassteel

As these devices are explicitly chalcedony with the durability of steel, they called back to mind 2e glassteel, which was a spell creating such materials, sometimes referred to as "glassteeled" materials. "Glassteeled" chalcedony is in line with prior examples, such as "glassteeled" diamond, emerald, rubies, blue crystal, rogue stone, or even regular glass beads, later used as gems in elven showpieces. Trobriand's Glassteel seemed to resemble the Glassteel spell.

I apologize for the pedantry, just thought, if we mix anything up I really didn't want it to be my fault, I'm the one that came asking the question, least I could do was explain where I was coming from, heh...
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  06:47:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was cut from the product, but references to it were not cut. Here is what was submitted (in 3E of course):

Trobiand’s Glassteel
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 2 ft./level)
Target: One nonmagical object up to 100 cu. ft. per level
Duration: Permanent

This spell increases the hardness and hit points of the targeted object to that of iron or steel (hardness 10 and 30 hit points/inch of thickness). If the object already has a higher hardness score, the spell has no effect.
Arcane Material Component: Piece of iron.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  13:48:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My intent was to recreate and reintroduce some 1e and 2e spells under Trobriand's moniker.

Glassteel and crystalbrittle were mirror images, but, IIRC, the latter had been reprinted by that point in time for 3e, but the former had not. Sadly, Trobriand's glassteel was cut, probably because I write too much.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2023 :  16:37:59  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thank you both for your aid and patience. It is cut material but it is explicitly referenced, and some of the statements in the reference (Vanrakdoom) render some of the spell's properties a foregone conclusion, which these posts confirm as the writer's explicit intent.

Edited by - Italian Archmage Karsus on 15 Apr 2023 16:38:46
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2023 :  23:22:18  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have another question, regarding Myth Glaurach. It says every pregnant feline has a 10% chance of giving birth to a litter of elven cats. It's a tough question, because both wound up called "cath shee", but were you referring to small mammal, cat, or to the great cat?

For reference, this site has them both.
Small cat (Cat, Elven): http://adnd.geoshitties.installgentoo.com/mm/catsmall.html
Great cat (Cath shee): http://adnd.geoshitties.installgentoo.com/mm/catgcash.html
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2023 :  01:11:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don’t think the larger one had been published when I wrote the article, so I intended the smaller one.

However, I like the idea that big cats (eg red tigers and black lions) give birth to the bigger elven cats, while smaller felines give birth to the smaller ones.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 17 May 2023 01:13:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2023 :  02:16:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya, Eric!

Pinging you here on a topic we were discussing on Ed's Discord; not sure if you get messages when you're pinged there...

In short, I was wondering if Ahghairon built any other controlling mechanisms into the dragonward. We know of the dragonstaff, of course, and Maaril's possession of it. The thing that occurs to me, though, is that if some bad guy wants to harm Waterdeep and gets a hold of that staff... With the information we currently have, this could be bad.

So I'm just wondering if there's some additional controlling mechanism, even if it's just a "purge all dragons NOW!" thing, that Ahghairon added to his dragonward.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SilverTiger12
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2023 :  21:28:42  Show Profile Send SilverTiger12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alae, Eric Boyd

I have a question about something from Faiths & Pantheons. Specifically, that books mentions that the modern Faerunian pantheon was formed from the merger of four earlier human pantheons (the Talfiric, Jhaamdathan, Netherese, and Coramshite pantheons). The Netherese pantheon was detailed in Netheril: Empire of Magic, and Ed of Greenwood on his discord has described the Coramshite pantheon, but that leaves two pantheons and several dozen deities of more or less unknown origin.

My question is, did you or do you have thoughts on the Talifiric and Jhaamdathan pantheons and which deities came from them?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2023 :  16:39:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great question. I'm slowly working through it.

We do know some bits, like Tempus is probably from the Talfirc pantheon, given that Targus is from Netheril and Garagos is from Jhaamdath. Likewise, Talos is probably the Ruathen pantheon, given that there was a Coramshite storm god named Bhaelros and a Netherese storm god named Kozah.

With respect to the latter, I have figured out what I would call the Ruathen pantheon, but that's one small bit in a larger effort to work out the regional human pantheons that preceded the continent-wide Faerunian pantheon.

I've posted this before, but here it is again:

Ruathen Pantheon
The Ruathen pantheon, known as the Samlarehm, predates the arrival of the Ruathen people on the isle of Ruathym circa 3100 DR. The early Ruathen seafarers sailed from lands far to the west across the Trackless Sea to Faerûn. After settling on Ruathym, they eventually went on to settle most of the islands of the northern Trackless Sea and the Swordsea Coast. In time, they became known as the Northuir (Northmen).
Traditional Ruathen culture views the world as an endless contest between human heroes (“samlar”) and the titanic forces of the natural world. In the Ruathen mythos, natural forces like beasts, seas, storms, and winter are embodied by the Gods of Fury: Talos the Stormlord, Auril the Frostmaiden, Malar the Beastlord, and Umberlee the Bitch Queen. Only the greatest of heroes could hope to prevail against the Gods of Fury, embodiments of four deific roles: the Hunter, the Sailor, the Wanderer, and the Warrior.
In the Ruathen mythos, from time to time, mortal heroes ascend to the rank of demipower to embody those deific archtetypes. So there has been more than one Hunter, more than one Sailor, more than one Warrior, and more than one Wanderer, but never more than one of each such demipower at any given point in time.
In recent centuries, the portfolio of the Hunter has been held by Gwaeron Windstrom the Tracker, who stalked and slew and avatar of Malar, followed by several manifestations of the Beastlord in short succession. Before that time, legends speak of a Northuir huntress named Skadi the Stalker, who sailed the seas in the wake of Malar the Beastlord, who swam up from the deaths in the guise of the Seawolf to bedevil Northuir seafarers.
In recent centuries, the portfolio of the Sailor has been held by Valkur the Mighty, a Northuir sea captain from Mintarn who challenged Umberlee and won against all odds. Before that time, legends speak of a Northuir seawolf known as Ruathane the Reaver who plundered ships from the Sea of Moving Ice to the isle of Nimbral before sinking in a fierce winter storm wrapped in the tentacles of Umberlee’s bulk while being torn apart by sharks.
The portfolio of the Warrior was most recently seized by Uthgar the Battlefather, formerly a Ruathen thane named Uther Gardolfsson, in the Year of the Icy Axe (123 DR). Uthgar defeated a dozen different totem spirits, venerated by various Beorunni and Runlathan tribes, to take his place at the head of the Uthgardt tribes, before being absorbed into the Faerûnian pantheon as a servant of Tempus (also rendered Tempos), Lord of War. Long before the rise of Uthgar, legends speak of a shape-shifting berserker known as Magnur the Hamfariggen. This bear-like warrior is thought to have roamed the isle of Ruathym in ursine form, endlessly battling Malar the Beastlord, before eventually becoming trapped in beast form.
The portfolio of the Wanderer has been held by Shaundakul (a Ruathen of Ruathym, neé Shaun, son of Akul) since the Rider of the Winds stumbled through a portal centuries ago and found himself on the far side of Faerûn. Ever since, Shaundakul has been slowly making his way home across the North, battling the Stormlord and other strange gods who bar his way. Over time, he has become the patron of the Ruathen diaspora, from the Rus of Rasheman to the Arkaiuns of Dambrath to the invaders of the Utter East. Long before the rise of Shaundakul, legends speak of a far-wandering sailor named Ulutiu who sailed the Trackless Sea. He is said to have frozen the northern waters with his enchanted necklace before falling asleep beneath what is now the Great Glacier. Some whisper the Ulutiu was a mortal who held the role of the Wanderer ere the Ruathens arrived on Ruathym.
In the centuries since the first founding of Illusk (circa 3000 DR), the Illuskans, as the descendants of the Ruathen explorers and Netherese refugees have come to be known, have intermingled, traded with, and raided many other human ethnic groups. In the course of those interactions, Ruathen gods like Talos have absorbed rival storm deities, such as Kozah (Netherese) and Bhaelros (Calishite). Likewise, Illuskans have adopted worship of other gods—starting with Tempos, Lord of Battles. As a result, the Ruathen pantheon is now considered part of the larger Faerûnian pantheon, and its deities are worshiped far and wide across the Realms.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 12 Jun 2023 16:44:33
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2023 :  03:03:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My intent was the staff was the keystone. However, you could do whatever works best for the campaign.
--Eric

quote:

Heya, Eric!

Pinging you here on a topic we were discussing on Ed's Discord; not sure if you get messages when you're pinged there...

In short, I was wondering if Ahghairon built any other controlling mechanisms into the dragonward. We know of the dragonstaff, of course, and Maaril's possession of it. The thing that occurs to me, though, is that if some bad guy wants to harm Waterdeep and gets a hold of that staff... With the information we currently have, this could be bad.

So I'm just wondering if there's some additional controlling mechanism, even if it's just a "purge all dragons NOW!" thing, that Ahghairon added to his dragonward.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2023 :  04:12:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My intent was the staff was the keystone. However, you could do whatever works best for the campaign.
--Eric

quote:

Heya, Eric!

So there was no backup?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2023 :  04:27:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not about a lack of backup. It's a focus for the spell. There was one foci.

--Eric

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

quote:

Heya, Eric!

So there was no backup?

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2023 :  14:02:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough.

This makes me wonder, now, if Maaril had to make some arrangements with Khelben and/or the Lords, to keep possession of the staff. I'm not saying he'd hand it over willingly, but I think if there was a perceived threat there, Khelben would have taken steps to claim the staff. Maybe not open spellbattle, but sending in thieves and adventurers, and/or finding some way to pressure Maaril into giving it up. Or even trading for it.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2023 :  14:14:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Fair enough.

This makes me wonder, now, if Maaril had to make some arrangements with Khelben and/or the Lords, to keep possession of the staff. I'm not saying he'd hand it over willingly, but I think if there was a perceived threat there, Khelben would have taken steps to claim the staff. Maybe not open spellbattle, but sending in thieves and adventurers, and/or finding some way to pressure Maaril into giving it up. Or even trading for it.

I'm very sure Khelben and Maaril had an understanding. See Chapter 24 of Blackstaff for additional context.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2023 :  00:21:00  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, this one is a bit tougher, so I'll get it if you prefer to sit this one out:

while sifting for Loremaster stuff, I saw that one of our "cited" answers is to Ed Greenwood's answers on Illefarn. I was then made aware of your publication, Under Illefarn Anew. I wanted to know if you were using any lore from Ed Greenwood, and if so, if any of that lore you were using (or decided not to use) was in direct contradiction of what we were able to glean from a cite out of Loremaster dot org.

What little we were able to recover, I've placed at http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24709 . Without telling us any secrets or chancing any NDAs, are you in possession of anything that refutes the cited content, Y/N?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2023 :  02:53:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, in general I haven't read Snowsblood's work, as I try not to inadvertently steal the ideas of others.

Generally I always go with Ed’s statements, as anyone should. But in this particular case it’s unclear what is Ed’s and what is fan work.

From what you copied out, I don't think there's much in the way of contradiction on Illefarn. The only thing I note is that the southern border is clearly incorrect (maybe not in Ed's original Realms, but given what was published in Cormanthyr and later sources).

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Italian Archmage Karsus

Hello, this one is a bit tougher, so I'll get it if you prefer to sit this one out:

while sifting for Loremaster stuff, I saw that one of our "cited" answers is to Ed Greenwood's answers on Illefarn. I was then made aware of your publication, Under Illefarn Anew. I wanted to know if you were using any lore from Ed Greenwood, and if so, if any of that lore you were using (or decided not to use) was in direct contradiction of what we were able to glean from a cite out of Loremaster dot org.

What little we were able to recover, I've placed at http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24709 . Without telling us any secrets or chancing any NDAs, are you in possession of anything that refutes the cited content, Y/N?

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 23 Jun 2023 02:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2023 :  03:09:05  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Thank you for your patience and flexibility. Sorry that this was so irregular, and please keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Italian Archmage Karsus
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2023 :  19:37:57  Show Profile Send Italian Archmage Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, unrelatedly, were the gemstones from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical supposed to always have those properties, or do they require special cuts, minimum sizes, or unique magical treatments to awaken those properties? Could one grab a tourmaline off a mine wall, and just turn it into three lightning bolts, or does that require cutting, magicking, treatment, a special size or grade of gemstone?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2023 :  04:33:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Archmage Karsus

Hey, unrelatedly, were the gemstones from Volo's Guide to All Things Magical supposed to always have those properties, or do they require special cuts, minimum sizes, or unique magical treatments to awaken those properties? Could one grab a tourmaline off a mine wall, and just turn it into three lightning bolts, or does that require cutting, magicking, treatment, a special size or grade of gemstone?

I'm not Eric Boyd, and heck who would want to be, but my take is that some of the properties (like the one associated with Orl) are naturally occurring and don't require anything more. Some of the others IMHO however require a magical process, treatment or the casting of a particular spell on the gem to "awaken" the property. Otherwise, every person on Faerûn would carry around a bag full of Ulvaen gems for healing, and a black sapphire to prevent being affected by stasis effects, etc.

I actually have the basics of an article dealing just with this topic and showcasing one means of "waking" gems to provide magical effects ... one day it might even see the light of day.

But that's my 2cp.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2023 :  04:48:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note that the Gem section of VGtATM largely comes from a Dragon article on gems by Ed.

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2023 :  15:54:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked Ed that myself, prompted by that same tourmaline discussion. He's not answered, yet.

Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2023 :  04:12:16  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric i have a question if i may on the The Diamond Scepter of Chomylla, i cant remember where but in one of the books it is stated that chomylla gave the scepter to the coronal for safe keeping and then left to try to find what was left of her people. And i was wondering whatever became of Chomylla, did she ever return to myth drannor or did she have something tragic happen to her thereafter?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2023 :  13:05:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Eric i have a question if i may on the The Diamond Scepter of Chomylla, i cant remember where but in one of the books it is stated that chomylla gave the scepter to the coronal for safe keeping and then left to try to find what was left of her people. And i was wondering whatever became of Chomylla, did she ever return to myth drannor or did she have something tragic happen to her thereafter?

My original write-up was in FOR11 - Cult of the Dragon (2e).

My revised write-up was in Dragons of Faerun (3.5e).

I haven't read them, but apparently the diamond staff appeared in "Vault of the Dracolich" an "Search for the Diamond Staff" (both 4e).

I'm unaware of anyone detailing what actually happened to Chomylla beyond those sources. I left it as a plot hook for the DM and haven't yet picked it back up for my own campaign.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2023 :  07:14:46  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the response Eric, I have both of those adventures, the writers left what happened to chomylla open as well. I think if memory serves they just added that she was a highmage of that realm.
Another question if i may on your underillfarn anew write up you mention an elven realm where the mere of dead men is called Faeveryal and i was wondering if you had anymore information on that realm like what happened to cause their downfall and what clans made up that realm?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2023 :  19:33:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus
Another question if i may on your underillfarn anew write up you mention an elven realm where the mere of dead men is called Faeveryal and i was wondering if you had anymore information on that realm like what happened to cause their downfall and what clans made up that realm?

Faeveryal is a new creation of myself and George Krashos. I haven't written much up about it yet, but the intent is that it was an isolationist realm of gold elves dominated by the Church of Labelas Enoreth. It largely eschewed relations with its neighbors and did not join the reformed Illefarn.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2023 :  21:36:22  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I love how we all lapse into looking at elves through a Tolkien-esque LoTR lens. Good and noble, helping humans and dwarves and hobbits, etc. etc. The elves of Faerûn are the elves of the Silmarillion: some good, some bad, some in between, some welcoming, some xenophobic ... just like long-lived humans, really. In real terms, elves were pretty much the apex predator of the Realms at the height of their civilisation and very comfortably enjoyed their superiority in magic, tech and resources. They did things for themselves, and didn't care too much about the other races. It was only when their power dwindled that you saw them entering into alliances with dwarves and humans. Pride cometh and all that.

-- George Krashos

There are solid reasons as to "why" that perception persists. In most D&D core rulebooks, Elves are listed as Chaotic Good; there hasn't been a single Forgotten Realms campaign setting book or box set that has gone out of its way to blatantly refute this moral/ethical description as it applies to Corellon's offspring in The Realms. Hell, a good chunk of Elf NPCs in many Forgotten Realms supplements - throughout the various editions - are "Chaotic Good" and lands primarily inhabited by Elves tend to receive an area Alignment of "Chaotic Good". Furthermore, a general Alignment helps to differentiate a fantasy race from Humans...the wild card of the bunch (otherwise, you end up with pointy-eared Humans sporting a really good health insurance plan). Lest we forget, this hobby is chiefly about escapism and what's more escapist than featuring classic good guys and bad guys?

Personally, I am happy to have evil Elves (Drow aside, natch) remain an exception while leaving the main body mercurial and oftentimes inscrutable, yes, but essentially benevolent.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2023 :  14:21:29  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I love Roger Moore's original work, I think settings such as GH and FR would have greatly benefited if the racial pantheons for the demihuman races had been more varied in alignment. This would have reflected the diversity of alignments found in such races, rather than portraying them as monocultures.

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000