Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  01:10:31  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the difference between Morndinvuddrrin and Rornfaern?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1367 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  19:40:38  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow vampires Shyntlara Auvryndar and Tsabrak of the Blood were mentioned in "Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark".
Which type(s) of vampires are they? Run-of-the-mill energy-drainer, Nosferatu, that unearthly glowy dehydrating "Drow Vampire" creature from Ravenloft, something else?..

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  19:44:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Drow vampires Shyntlara Auvryndar and Tsabrak of the Blood were mentioned in "Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark".
Which type(s) of vampires are they? Run-of-the-mill energy-drainer, Nosferatu, that unearthly glowy dehydrating "Drow Vampire" creature from Ravenloft, something else?..

When I wrote it, I was using 2e rules, so they were standard vampires.

What I envisioned were uniquely drow vampires that could easily blend in with drow noble society without drawing much attention. So their appearance would be more "drow-like" than "undead-like." Their powers would be unique, logical enhancements of natural drow noble powers, however they were articulated in the ruleset-de-jure.

In other words, they should function as drow nobles with unexpected powers and motives, rather than monsters.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  19:50:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Rrinlurgh, in the Graypeaks(I can't find a single mention of either of these anywhere)

I think Rrinlurgh is my made-up name for the dwarf-hold occupied by a (red?) dragon mentioned in FOR1 - The Draconomicon.

I was responsible for adding most of the obscure names to the 3rd patch of the Atlas.

--Eric

Did you ever confirm this? If yes, which dragon (what page in Draconomicon)? Thanks in advance!

It's the one worshiped by orcs above the High Moor.

I think I added some info to Dragons of Faerun on this.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2015 :  00:44:59  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's the one worshiped by orcs above the High Moor.

I think I added some info to Dragons of Faerun on this.

Flashburn! (is there any more information about her in Dragons of Faerūn beyond her being given the draconic name Maughrysear on p. 153?) As always: more thanks than Sigil has portals for all you bring to the Realms!

EDIT: Found the mention of the Dragonclaws order too.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 31 Aug 2015 00:50:32
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2015 :  20:18:34  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the 'Askovyn Tangle' on the High Forest map that Markustay did for you actually supposed to be Auzkovyn Tangle?

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2015 :  20:50:22  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

When you did the write up on Oghrann in Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the Underdark, how did you envision the layout of Araulurrin?
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  04:26:53  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there ever a "Lost Chapter" in Dragons of Faerun concerning information on updated information of the Draconic Pantheon, originally presented in 2nd edition's "Draconomicon?" A product description of the book mentioned information on the Draconic Pantheon before it's release. But I am sure it was cut, sadly, considering that was what originally sold me on the book. Would it be fair use to share with us with what was written, and never published, here at Candlekeep?
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2015 :  22:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had some questions that started rattling around the brain box recently. With respect to the terrific work you did with the 2e FR gods books, how did you come up with their avatar classes and levels? Drawing more "in-universe" for the deities themselves, did they just pick and choose what classes, levels, and attributes their avatars had? Or would it be based on something else like the deity's own competency like the 3e approach where the deity had their own clases/levels.

Back in the 2e days, did you consider if there was an upper limit to the class/levels a deity could manifest? In the 2e model, could Mystra have rolled out of her megic bed one day and decide to fashion a level 113 wizard/Fighter 50?

Unrelatedly, I've been going back through my old Realms catalogue and am continuously floored by the quality of the content in each work you contributed to. Thank you so very much for that.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  02:52:10  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings!

This has probably been asked before, since we've been enjoying Power of Faerun for almost 10 years now (!!) but I'm having no luck with google.

There are 8 Coats of Arms, on pages 63, 67, 69, 70, 73, 75, 76, and 79. Which companies or houses do these belong to?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2015 :  18:05:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is the 'Askovyn Tangle' on the High Forest map that Markustay did for you actually supposed to be Auzkovyn Tangle?

Where did you get a copy of that map, DD (anybody, really)?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  08:10:59  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

First off thanks for all the hard work you have done on the Realms over the years.

I have a Westgate question for you if I may, and I am only guessing that you may have authored the sections on Westgate in C&D so apologies if I am barking up the wrong (author's) tree.

On p.57, Tystarn Dauntinghorn is said to bear an "uncanny resemblance to Manshoon" and also bears a Shoonring of Swimming.

Was this ever expanded on later, or is it just one of those hooks put in for DM's to develop?

From reading the text, it seems that Manshoon (as the vampire) indirectly gave him the ring, and its previously been suggested via his 'shoon name that there may be a link to the Shoon Imperium. So it had me thinking if this was one of those clues seeded over the years subtly and cleverly to give background to Manshoon and if this Tystarn might well be of Manshoon's blood (even distantly)

Thanks for your time

Gareth

Edited by - Gareth on 10 Mar 2016 08:12:07
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1367 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  12:48:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In other words, they should function as drow nobles with unexpected powers and motives, rather than monsters.

...and that's how most of the spaghetti in the cauldron of xD&D came to be?

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth

On p.57, Tystarn Dauntinghorn is said to bear an "uncanny resemblance to Manshoon" and also bears a Shoonring of Swimming.
Was this ever expanded on later

Shoonrings are from "Empires of the Shining Sea", so for details apply to Steven Schend.
Basically, it's one very specific (and very distinct) methodology of crafting magical rings (all sorts - i.e. these can be of protection +1, spell-storing, and whatnot) that was traditional in Shoon Imperium - for which it was later named, as usual in such cases. Thus there were lots of various shoonrings, over centuries spread throughout the South, and occasionally found anywhere else - and then inevitable later replicas.
- Made of two twisted bands of different metals entwined around each other. Choice of metals corresponds to functionality (dark iron - protection/combat; silver - metamagic; gold - multiple effects; electrum = gold+silver, but less of each, pretty straightforward).
- No gem insets; possibly surface treatment.
- Many have a built-in backdoor (locate and cast spells upon the wearer). Sometimes reproduced unknowingly, sometimes deliberately by those who knew how to use it.

See also here a little more on shoonrings (associated spells), from Steven Schend.
Where he told us there were some items were put in "Calimport"; there the term is not used, and Janyra's rings are obviously not these, but Qysari rings seem to be, and they include combining pairs.
There was a bit more in "Sea of Fallen Stars" too.

The question to Eric in this context could be "what else this particular ring does, if any". But since Steven Schend also was a co-author of C&D, it makes more sense to ask him first.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 10 Mar 2016 13:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  16:33:41  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers TBeholder :)

As I said I wasn't sure if I was barking up the wrong author tree. I should have realised that Steven Schend most likely did the Shoon items along with the southern regional boxed sets and supplements.

I'm now wondering if the Manshoon lookalike was also something Steven asked to be dropped in the Westgate sections (I guess thats the problem with co-authored or group projects, at least from readers viewpoint- you dont know who wrote what for certain so dont know who to direct questions to).

Ah well, if I've got the wrong author, still its given me a chance to thank Eric for the work he has done.

-Gareth-
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1101 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  19:20:17  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage  Click to see hashimashadoo's MSN Messenger address Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm writing an article on Tulrun of the Tent for the wiki. Obviously I'm getting a lot of my lore from the two brilliant articles you wrote for Polyhedron magazine (#125 & #126). The cut content on that second article though...you said it might be on your circa-1995 mac. Did it ever turn up? The Sage said he once found it online but the site has since been shut down.

I'm particularly interested in what Tulrun's Tiger Mantle does. Seems like a defensive spell of some kind.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Seeker

Luxembourg
26 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  21:09:48  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr Boyd

Another question from ancient Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the Underdark:

The game stats for derro savants give their class as "Sav". I guess that would mean savant, which implies they savants were not "plain" mages, but a specific class of their own. Do you maybe know where this class was described?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1101 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2016 :  22:47:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage  Click to see hashimashadoo's MSN Messenger address Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Owesstaer

Hello Mr Boyd

Another question from ancient Drizzt Do'Urden's guide to the Underdark:

The game stats for derro savants give their class as "Sav". I guess that would mean savant, which implies they savants were not "plain" mages, but a specific class of their own. Do you maybe know where this class was described?

Thank you

I can field this one. In the 2e Monstrous Manual, Derro have 3 Hit Dice as standard but can have up to 7. There are also student savants that can have 4 to 7 hit dice. Only full savants can have 5 to 8 hit dice. So if you see a statline for 2e Derro that says, say, "(CE m Derro Sav8)" it means a derro savant with maximum hit dice.

Savant is not a class but rather a representation of Diirinka infusing magic into an individual derro in the womb. Since derro cannot be priests (since their gods can't grant them clerical magic in the normal way, as derro magic is all stolen from Ilsensine), savants take the place of priests in derro society. The Monstrous Manual also explains the 19 spells that derro savants get access to.

In 3rd edition, derro savants became sorcerers with at least 5 class levels.

The following link is from the Dragonlance version of the derro rather than the core one but the text is almost the same: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/dwarderr.php

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 05 Apr 2016 22:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Seeker

Luxembourg
26 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2016 :  09:05:06  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm back again for another piece of lore knowledge if possible.

I couldn't find any age indication for Antharzyreph, the Scourge of Axe and Arrow.
As per the Cult of the Dragon sourcebook, dragons of age categories old or more are the preferred targets for transformation into Dracoliches.

Am I guessing correctly then that Antharzyreph is in the 400+ age range? Or is he even older? (1357 DR)

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4746 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2016 :  23:24:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Owesstaer

Well met

I'm back again for another piece of lore knowledge if possible.

I couldn't find any age indication for Antharzyreph, the Scourge of Axe and Arrow.
As per the Cult of the Dragon sourcebook, dragons of age categories old or more are the preferred targets for transformation into Dracoliches.

Am I guessing correctly then that Antharzyreph is in the 400+ age range? Or is he even older? (1357 DR)

Thank you

Antharzyreph is an adult black dragon using 3E rules.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2016 :  14:27:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody have a copy of Markustay's high forest map mentioned above?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2016 :  12:10:01  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a link to your creation of Under Illefarn Anew?
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2016 :  13:10:59  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Mintiper's Chapbook - fantastic work. Would love to see more of this some time.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Seeker

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  19:15:48  Show Profile Send Gareth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Have been reading the 3rd Edition Waterdeep sourcebook, and saw mention of the "Books of Vauth" in connection with Marune "The Masked".

I was wondering if there was any more information on them, or if the history of the Mask(ed) had ever been fleshed out by yourself or other authors between the departure of "The Masked" from Myth Drannor, and Marune's finding of the item and the Books.

Thanks, and sorry for too many "The Masked" :)

Gareth
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13273 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2016 :  19:46:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:

Where did you get a copy of that map, DD (anybody, really)?

It was probably on one of the three 'snippets' I've posted. I've never released that map ANYWHERE. AFAIK, Eric & I have the only copies (although if he shared it with others, he has every right to do so). I know the earlier, Under Illefarn Anew map was passed around at Gencon 2012 (and soon after WotC mysteriously produced their own Illefarn/Daggerdale product). There were certain things I did that were unique to the Illefarn map, that showed-up later on Mike Shley's map of the region. Regardless, lots of people got a hold of that one, and of course, the later derivative work was part of a 4e module.

I'm still awaiting on Eric's "go ahead" before I release the High Forest one.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Nov 2016 19:54:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4746 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2016 :  01:07:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a fantastic map and complements (and overlaps) the Under Illefarn one beautifully. It's a shame you weren't around 20 years ago Mark, you would likely have become the "go to" guy for maps in WotC products.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000