Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion
Well met, George!
Garen. I'm Garen. He's George. The little guy's John.
quote:
Thanks a lot for this information I need to get my hands on that adventure, though I recall that it didn´t have much *ahem* "meat" on its bones...
Although it's not the most compelling or Realmslore-filled module, Four from Cormyr is plenty interesting.
quote:
If my memory serves me, I also remember that there is a short Dungeon module set in the Vast Swamp, which describes ruins of an ancient elven city within its murky depths (there was even a handout - an elven map of its capital). I guess Orva was an elven kingdom?
Careful now. There is an adventure set in the Vast Swamp in Dungeon #62. The problem is that the Vast Swamp in question is in Greyhawk, not Cormyr.

Orva was a human kingdom.
quote:
Hopefully you can bear with me, but would you have any information about Sissra, the half-elven princess, mentioned in FRA? (in Marsember entry)
None at all that I can share. I'll stop hijacking Eric's thread now.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  00:44:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you can see, Garen Thal is our resident Cormyr expert - I defer to him in these matters, as well you should also! He and Ed have been cooking up some Cormyr lore over some time now - hopefully it'll see the light of day in an "official" sense sometime soon.

I'm the guy for questions on the North and Impiltur/the East.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2005 :  20:00:18  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Probably. I add the qualifier because I had to insert a little bit of Realmslore in Demihuman Deities in the write-up of Labelas Enoreth. (Look at the alias list.) This was to patch up the lack of a time portfolio among any human Realms god and because the only gods left to detail at the time were nonhuman gods.

quote:

I'll stop hijacking Eric's thread now.

Hijack away!

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

613 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  00:25:56  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

This was to patch up the lack of a time portfolio among any human Realms god and because the only gods left to detail at the time were nonhuman gods.
Hijack away!

--Eric

Strange. I was underneath the impression that Mystra had time added to her portfolio....hmm...I think I just read too many books.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  00:29:05  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra
Strange. I was underneath the impression that Mystra had time added to her portfolio....hmm...I think I just read too many books.

Mystryl and Amaunator oversaw time but no human deity has ever had that portfolio. The old Mystra also oversaw time but again didn't have the portfolio.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  19:53:22  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Well met, George!
Garen. I'm Garen. He's George. The little guy's John.[quote]Thanks a lot for this information I need to get my hands on that adventure, though I recall that it didn´t have much *ahem* "meat" on its bones...

Sorry, Garen... it seems my eyesight is finally failing me - too many hours of pouring through ancient, musty tomes in dark chambers lit by poor candles...

So, well met, Garen, and many thanks

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:14:24  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Although it's not the most compelling or Realmslore-filled module, Four from Cormyr is plenty interesting.

Certainly. Is not just as consistent with existing Realmslore (for example, the Thistle noble family) as I would like it to be. The part concerning the adventuring charters was intriguing, though.

quote:
Careful now. There is an adventure set in the Vast Swamp in Dungeon #62. The problem is that the Vast Swamp in question is in Greyhawk, not Cormyr.

Hmmm... I may be wrong here, but I am quite sure there was a module set in the "Cormyrean" Vast Swamp, in which the PCs had to deal with a lizardman shaman. Again, I may be wrong about this.

[quote]Orva was a human kingdom.

This is a bit puzzling. I thought Chondathan settlers were the first humans to found a kingdom in the Land of the Purple Dragon? Where did the people of Orva originally come from? Netheril?

Again, Garen, thank you for your answers. I promise to get new eyeglasses so I will never again confuse you with George

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Certainly. Is not just as consistent with existing Realmslore (for example, the Thistle noble family) as I would like it to be. The part concerning the adventuring charters was intriguing, though.

quote:

Hmmm... I may be wrong here, but I am quite sure there was a module set in the "Cormyrean" Vast Swamp, in which the PCs had to deal with a lizardman shaman. Again, I may be wrong about this.

[quote]Orva was a human kingdom.

This is a bit puzzling. I thought Chondathan settlers were the first humans to found a kingdom in the Land of the Purple Dragon? Where did the people of Orva originally come from? Netheril?

Again, Garen, thank you for your answers. I promise to get new eyeglasses so I will never again confuse you with George

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2005 :  20:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As you can see, Garen Thal is our resident Cormyr expert - I defer to him in these matters, as well you should also! He and Ed have been cooking up some Cormyr lore over some time now - hopefully it'll see the light of day in an "official" sense sometime soon.

I'm the guy for questions on the North and Impiltur/the East.

-- George Krashos

I certainly will I recall that the Sage of the Greenwood himself has spoken fondly of Garen on many occasions. My apologies to you also, George, for confusing you with Garen... maybe it is understandable considering that both your names start with ´G´, and both are known as very able loremasters

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  03:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Orva is pretty much "lost" as far as history goes; most people don't know or care much about it, and the nation didn't have any significant dealings with any of its neighbors (elven or otherwise). No one's really bothered to do much detailing of Orva because, frankly, it isn't all that important. Compared to the magical legacy of Netheril, the elven court of Cormyr's past, the absorbed kingdom of Esparin, and the sometimes-independent city states of Arabel and Marsember, the history of Orva is a little "meh." That isn't to say that certain sages haven't determined bits and pieces here and there--quite the opposite--but merely that Orva's fairly low on the list of priorities of Cormyrean Lore Subjects.

And not to worry about the name thing. People always mix me up with someone else. It's no bother at all.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  19:03:48  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Orva is pretty much "lost" as far as history goes; most people don't know or care much about it, and the nation didn't have any significant dealings with any of its neighbors (elven or otherwise). No one's really bothered to do much detailing of Orva because, frankly, it isn't all that important. Compared to the magical legacy of Netheril, the elven court of Cormyr's past, the absorbed kingdom of Esparin, and the sometimes-independent city states of Arabel and Marsember, the history of Orva is a little "meh." That isn't to say that certain sages haven't determined bits and pieces here and there--quite the opposite--but merely that Orva's fairly low on the list of priorities of Cormyrean Lore Subjects.

I agree that Orva´s legacy may be quite insignificant when compared to elves or Netheril. I think the only reference to it is in "Four from Cormyr"?
Still, it´d be nice to know more of it, especially if I am going to run the Mere of the Dead Men-series set in the Vast Swamp. I was planning to replace Yarlith/Myrmoran with Orva (or two of its "splinter kingdoms").

It is also possible that Orva was also founded by settlers from Jhaamdath...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4266 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  12:27:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Might as well ask here.

There are at best some disagreement of if Eilistraee now permits male clerics due to the fact that the F&P information is silent concerning gender. Many prefer to default to 2nd Edition material to answer this question, some look at only 3rd material that does not definitively answer this question. There is implication that clerics are female because of wearing gowns and having long hair, however males can also do this.

What say you on this matter?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kerby
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2005 :  06:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Kerby's Homepage Send Kerby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There seems some minor contradictions in Faiths and Pantheons, 3ed. which our online community (http://www.narfell.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=22179) could use an assist. We are trying to figure out what deities are acceptable patrons for rangers. Page 90 of Faiths and Pantheons mentions the following list in the sidebar:
quote:
Following is the complete list of nature dieties in the FORGOTTEN REALMS campaign setting, Druids and rangers must select one of these deities as a patron. Druids whose favored weapon is not on the druid weapon list in the Player's Handbook are able to wield that kind of weapon without violating thier spiritual oaths, but they are not automatically proficient in that weapon's use. Deities noted as monster deities are detailed in the Monster Dieties table in the appendix.

Aerdrie Faenya, Angharradh, Anhur, Auril, Baervan Wildwanderer, Chauntea, Deep Sashelas, Eldath, Fenmarel Mestarine, Gwaerron Windstrom, Hiatea (monster diety), Isis, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Nobanion, Osiris, Rillifane Rallathil, Sebek, Segojan Earthcaller, Sekolah (monster diety), Sheela Peryroyl, Shiallia, Silvanus, Solonor Thelandira, Stronmaus (monster diety), Talona, Talos, Thard Harr, Ubtao, Ulutiu, Umberlee.

Yet over in page 8, on Granting Spells:
quote:
Most deities can grant spells the cleric spell list, the ranger spell list, and from three or more domains.

Does this mean that since most gods can grant ranger spells, that there are other gods, outside of the list on page 90, that can be the patron of rangers?

Also, I found a post over made by Purple Dragon Knight on Ed Greenwood's forums that had an extended listing. http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901&whichpage=62 Is this an update from the source material?

Finally, there seems to be mention of a ranger order (the Order of the Shooting Star) who serves Mystra and seems to have her as thier patron (page 51)? Yet she is not in either listing of acceptable patrons. Could you clarify?

Cheers for your assistance, and thanks for a wealthsource of reference material which we try to stay true to in our Neverwinter Nights online game server.

www.narfell.com (a Neverwinter Nights Persistant World)
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  11:28:10  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

On the topic of the Talfir, I believe (iirc) that Krash mentioned you were instrumental in inserting bits and pieces of this topic into published Relamslore. Barring NDA's and such, what more 'unofficial' lore could you share.

Just two of the questions I have on the Talfir are:
- what level of technology/engineering did they have?
- with one of their cities under the canopy of the Reaching Wood, what was their relation with the forest?
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2005 :  07:07:23  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question from City of Splendors.
In the Organization Format discription is says that Associated Classes are in order of most common to least common. But as far as I can tell in the actually discriptions they're in alphabetical order. I guess my question is should these be errataed some how or should they just be read as most of the members are of these few classes?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  13:30:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met! Garen, Eric, George... would any of you hazard a guess where were those Orvan settlers originally from? Jhaamdath, perhaps, or Netheril?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2005 :  15:22:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

Keep the questions coming. I apologize for the delay in answering, but I'm snowed under with writing deadlines. I will get to them in due course.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2005 :  13:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr. Eric.

First of all, I want to thank you for the good work that you made in the Realms. I´m expecting the moment of CoS came to Brazilian shores...

Well, I just finish to re-read the Powers and Pantheons tome (excelent book) and, in Lurue´s entry, I fall in love with the Knights of the Unicorn! (page 39) I want to know if Javalar and his group received some development in some other tome, or if you have some "idea" of the whereabouts and goals of the group. I´m thinking in use some of them (maybe Penegala Sashenstar) in a current campaign, and any bit of information will be apreciated. And, you have developed the Crown of Joy and Tears? Can you give me the stats of that item?

Thanks

Yuri "Chosen of Moradin" Peixoto

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  23:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,
I have two questions to You, this time concerning Beshaba:

1. In 2nd edition Faiths & Avatars there is a description of Beshaban funeral - the Passing. It is said there that the body of dead Beshaban cleric is being floated down the river amid floating candles. I would like to know if the body is either being put on a draft or is it thrown into the river just like that?

2. Would You be so kind to spare me some additional info on the Black Fingers' assassins? Anything would be useful since there is so little about them in the sourcebook. I would also like to create a Black Finger assassin prestige class so some guidelines would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  15:36:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Like I said in the other thread, I run a campaign based in Waterdeep (it started in november 2004) and the main plot is the return of the Shadows thiefs in the city operated by Marune.

Currently the PCs are trying to create an alliance between the Shadows thiefs and the Skullport chapter of the Dark Dagger against the Xanathar..

You can imagine I was quite surprised when I first saw the Waterdeep excerpt on the WOTC web site ;)

Reading this excellent supplement, I got some questions :

1) In the Shadow thieves entry, you talk about two special item : the Book of Vaught and the Mask of Andrathath, are they detailled somewhere ?

2) In this same entry, it is said that the Shadows thieves have struck a deal with the Shades, I would really like to know more about this, how it was be done, how typical Mask worshipers deal with all this Shar stuff, at which point in the time line would you say that some members have been turned into Shades (let's say Black Viper), etc..

3) In 2E City of Splendors, the fencer Alek Lenter (owner of the "Waukeen's ware" pawn shop and a wharehouse near the "Thirty Throat" tavern) was a member of the Shadows Thiefs and he was playing with the Xanathar guild too. Why did you choose to ignore him in your Shadow thiefs entry?

Thanks for any answers to these questions :)

Edited by - Skeptic on 16 Jul 2005 02:39:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  10:19:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

1) In the Shadow thieves entry, you talk about two special item : the Book of Vaught and the Mask of Andrathath, are they detailled somewhere ?
I can't recall the source for the 'Book of Vaught', but 'Andrathath's Mask' is detailed in the 2e Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves accessory.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2005 :  14:32:03  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I can't recall the source for the 'Book of Vaught', but 'Andrathath's Mask' is detailed in the 2e Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves accessory.

It's Vauth, or should be. He was an apprentice of the wizard known as the Masked.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2005 :  06:16:28  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it is the Books of Vauth and Pages from the mages gives two uniques spells from it in the description of another spellbook. (Both spells are Encrypt and Secure)

But maybe there is a more complete source (original?) on these books..

Edited by - Skeptic on 17 Jul 2005 06:16:46
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, Eric! I have derived mickle enjoyment from your books.

I am puzzled by one glaring absence among the Mulhorandi panthon: Ptah. Ptah is worshipped as a Greater or Intermediate Power by spacers and Earthlings, but he seems not to be worshipped at all on the surface of Toril. Why not? Can he grant spells on Toril, given that he presumably has worshippers within the crystal sphere of Realmspace?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:23:14  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Hail, Eric! I have derived mickle enjoyment from your books.

I am puzzled by one glaring absence among the Mulhorandi panthon: Ptah. Ptah is worshipped as a Greater or Intermediate Power by spacers and Earthlings, but he seems not to be worshipped at all on the surface of Toril. Why not? Can he grant spells on Toril, given that he presumably has worshippers within the crystal sphere of Realmspace?

Powers & Pantheons explains this. He decided to have no influence in Realmspace.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000