Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 46

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  04:13:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Could you please give more details about drow aspects of Seldarine (venerated "in the guise of previously unknown drow demipowers" in Sshamath)?
I suppose they have to wrestle with Dark Seldarine whenever they can, so it only makes sense they would try this not only in one city.
Eilistraee's good, but her portfolio limits possibilities; she also doesn't have ready access to as many crystal spheres as Seldarine, and Wildspace drow are easier to steal from under their matrons' heels.
I did ask sages around here, but they couldn't find more about this side either.

I checked my references and I didn't build that off anything.

If you look at it in the context of the paragraph, I was basically saying that in Sshamath, there is much more freedom to worship, be it a surface god of magic or even an elven deity of magic. The latter they dress up as "obscure demipowers" rather than just admit they are worshiping elven gods. Then again, Sshamath, they don't care that much about divine worship, so it's all rather insignificant.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  04:14:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 3e, "at will" is equivalent to 5 uses per day.

If you allow less than 5 uses per day, it's you multiply the price by X/5, where X<5 is the number of uses per day.

quote:

So, what with the drow aspects of Seldarine mentioned in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark? Was it a throwaway "fill the niche" idea, hook that wasn't developed, or it was implemented somewhere else?
Gods moonlighting as each other are always fun and all that.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

General rant: Magic items in 3.5e are too darn expensive. A 9th level wizard ought to be able to afford a crystal ball.
The Magic Item Compendium did everything it could do to fix the magic item costing system, but it is still fundamentally broken.

While gold piece magic is indeed all gold piecemeal... The difference between "at will" instead of "3 times/day" may justify price raising from 5k to 42k, no? For that matter, 3e guidelines say that "N uses/day" limit gives (5+N) times cost reduction, so this more or less fits.
So maybe do it the simple way? The new at-will variant as such would be okay as long as the more affordable basic version is still around.
As to short-range scouting even cheaper... didn't old Dragon's Bazaar of the Bizzare have some items based on Wizard Eye?

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  12:14:53  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...) If you look at it in the context of the paragraph, I was basically saying that in Sshamath, there is much more freedom to worship, be it a surface god of magic or even an elven deity of magic. The latter they dress up as "obscure demipowers" rather than just admit they are worshiping elven gods.
(...)
--Eric

I always wanted to understand better this statement, it's good to have it clarified. And Mr. Boyd, thank you for your work in the "Faiths & Avatars" series, I think it is THE reference on gods and religion in the Realms (even more to a 2e DM). I only regret that there are no updates to many "Monster Mythology" deities that are mentioned, especially in Demihuman Deities. I've made myself one entry, and adapted some I found over the internet (at least one was the work of Thomas Costa, I liked it but found it a little overpowered).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  16:27:22  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it would have been fun to do one on monsters, but TSR didn't ask for it and, to be honest, I was fairly burned out on deity write-ups by that point.

Lately I've been really wishing there was a "Orcs and Goblinoids" supplement in 3.5e, focusing on their racial variant classes, magic items, culture, etc.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...) If you look at it in the context of the paragraph, I was basically saying that in Sshamath, there is much more freedom to worship, be it a surface god of magic or even an elven deity of magic. The latter they dress up as "obscure demipowers" rather than just admit they are worshiping elven gods.
(...)
--Eric

I always wanted to understand better this statement, it's good to have it clarified. And Mr. Boyd, thank you for your work in the "Faiths & Avatars" series, I think it is THE reference on gods and religion in the Realms (even more to a 2e DM). I only regret that there are no updates to many "Monster Mythology" deities that are mentioned, especially in Demihuman Deities. I've made myself one entry, and adapted some I found over the internet (at least one was the work of Thomas Costa, I liked it but found it a little overpowered).

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  19:06:20  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, it would have been fun to do one on monsters, but TSR didn't ask for it and, to be honest, I was fairly burned out on deity write-ups by that point.

Lately I've been really wishing there was a "Orcs and Goblinoids" supplement in 3.5e, focusing on their racial variant classes, magic items, culture, etc.

--Eric

I was especially interested in the orc gods, the pantheons of giants and goblinoids, the draconic deities and some members of the Faerie Court. I've revised Nomog-Geaya of the hobgoblins and Bahamut the Platinum Dragon, and written-up an entry for Remnis, the Great Lord of Eagles.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  19:45:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
(...)
--Eric

An Orcs and Goblinoids supplement would be really cool. We've seen hints over the years that they aren't all just brutal savages. Granted, we have Obould's empire, but there's little snippets like how orcs of the Desertmouth Mountains have a crude imitation of Cormry's royal court. A Demihuman Deities type writeup for the faiths and maybe even details on various orc clans and holds. Maybe with 5E coming we'll see some of these classics revived and it can get squeezed in.

Thank you Eric for the info on the Spidersblood Pact, very cool. I never considered adding a magical component to it, because they were listed as only 12 when they did it. Makes sense to have the agreement have some "teeth" in it, otherwise it probably wouldn't work.

And speaking of the Monster Mythology book. I'm surprised we haven't seen more done with the Derro and their gods. There's so very little known about them and they're such an interesting, homicidal little race.

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Jun 2012 19:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29796 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2012 :  20:50:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

And speaking of the Monster Mythology book. I'm surprised we haven't seen more done with the Derro and their gods. There's so very little known about them and they're such an interesting, homicidal little race.

Pathfinder did a nice job re-imagining derro, in Classic Horrors Revisited. I never liked derro until I read that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  04:50:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Collars of Companionship
========================
Price (Item Level): 10,800 gp (13th)
Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 17) transmutation [air]
Activation: Swift (command)
Weight: —

This is an identical pair of silver torcs, each engraved with images of various animals (bears, boars, wolves, etc.)

This pair of magically linked collars are intended to be worn by a nature-oriented character (e.g. druid, ranger) and his animal companion, an arcane spellcaster (e.g. sorcerer, wizard) and his familiar, or a paladin and his mount. When two creatures are linked by such a bond, a pair of collars of companionship gives them the ability to communicate at will in messages of 25 words or less at a range of up to 3 miles. If the animal does not normally speak, the collars of companionship give the ability to speak in this fashion with his or her master.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, speak with animals, whispering wind.
Cost to Create: 5,400 gp, 432 XP, 11 days.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  15:57:08  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best line of the campaign yet (from my daughter).

Me: "What do you want for your birthday?"

Her: "Not much. I think I have enough already. But maybe I could get a really cool magic item for my character?"

--
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1394 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  19:27:06  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Best line of the campaign yet (from my daughter).

Me: "What do you want for your birthday?"

Her: "Not much. I think I have enough already. But maybe I could get a really cool magic item for my character?"

Heheheh! Cute!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  21:37:28  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hazards
Grave Moss (CR 1): Grave moss, dark green in hue, is a type of magical moss often found in dark, moist environments. It is believed to be the byproduct of repeated necromantic spells cast in shadowy graveyards, but it is not restricted to such environments.
Grave moss leaches lifeforce from living creatures that remain in contact with it for too long. Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail. The sound attracts nearby creatures that are disposed to investigate it. Some creatures that live near grave moss come to learn that the fungus’s noise means there is food nearby. Many necromancers have deliberately placed grave moss in their lairs to act as an early warning system. It can be induced to grow by placing it on stone or earth and immediately casting a necromancy spell (any will do) while in direct physical contact with it.
Grave moss is affected by any spell that affects plants (consider it to have 1 hp per 10-foot-square area). Direct, long-term (2d6 days) exposure to sunlight also kills grave moss.
Faint necromancy; CL 1st.

--
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1381 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  02:33:46  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you allow less than 5 uses per day, it's you multiply the price by X/5, where X<5 is the number of uses per day.
Oops. I misglanced "÷" as "+" because X/5/Y was rather unexpected. Had to be half asleep to not see it must be a direct proportion. Still, 4.5x overshot.
quote:

Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail.
Wait, if it starts screaming at a touch, how anyone not deaf or paralyzed would be drained more than 1 hp?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  12:59:44  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's unlikely they would. It's a "keep moving on" effect and a warning effect. The only reason you would stay in place is if you were searching for something (secret door) or opening something (locked door).

--Eric

quote:

quote:

Oops. I misglanced "÷" as "+" because X/5/Y was rather unexpected. Had to be half asleep to not see it must be a direct proportion. Still, 4.5x overshot.
quote:

Any living, corporeal creature in direct contact with grave moss loses 1 hp per minute (round down).
While in contact with a living creature and for 1d3 rounds after contact is broken, grave moss gives off a keening wail.
Wait, if it starts screaming at a touch, how anyone not deaf or paralyzed would be drained more than 1 hp?

--
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  05:31:44  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,
I was wondering if you could tell us what the 'arcane power' thinga-ma-whatsit was that Halaster sacrificed himself (to/for/in order to stave off) in Expedition to Undermountain?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4771 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  08:08:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the Spellplague.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1757 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2012 :  21:30:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met Eric!

I have a few questions about Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, specifically about the Curse of Irphong. Have either the dragon turtle or the kraken who took these titles been given "real" names, or (to your knowledge) been referenced in other books? Is the title older than the dragon turtle mentioned in the Guide? And lastly it mentions that the kraken took the dragon turtle's place seven years ago... am I assuming correctly that this means 1363/1364 DR? (Drizzt's letter to Alustriel in the intro is dated in the last days of 1370)

Thank you! and grats on 1000 posts.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  14:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glanderultok

I found that THO had mentioned previously that you "drew a blank" on this Underdark City...

However, I'm hoping you can tell me a snippet or two of information. Anything at all?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:03:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Glanderultok

I found that THO had mentioned previously that you "drew a blank" on this Underdark City...

However, I'm hoping you can tell me a snippet or two of information. Anything at all?

I found an old file that indicates it's a duergar city where they worship Laduguer. No reference as to why I thought it needed to be referenced. The art order for the map (referencing 2e maps of Faerun of the day) calls for "Place “Glanderultok” deep beneath the mountain valley due north of the northern end of the Border Forest."

If I had to guess, I would say there's probably a reference in one of Ed's old Everwinking Eye columns in Polyhedron to duergar and this was my attempt to create a city they could come from. That's all I can find though. I wasn't as good about referencing everything with a comment in my write-ups way back then.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  15:29:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Well met Eric!

I have a few questions about Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, specifically about the Curse of Irphong. Have either the dragon turtle or the kraken who took these titles been given "real" names, or (to your knowledge) been referenced in other books? Is the title older than the dragon turtle mentioned in the Guide? And lastly it mentions that the kraken took the dragon turtle's place seven years ago... am I assuming correctly that this means 1363/1364 DR? (Drizzt's letter to Alustriel in the intro is dated in the last days of 1370)

Thank you! and grats on 1000 posts.

As far as I can tell, at least through 3.5e, no one has updated the Curse of Irphong since the brief mention in DDGttU. I've always thought krakens took odd names that other races might consider titles, so "Curse of Irphong" probably *is* that kraken's name now.

I hadn't ever considered whether the "Curse of Irphong" title might be older than the dragon turtle. I would check Lands of Intrigue and FR3 - Empires of the Sands first to see what the write-ups look like and whether they allow for the possibility. If they do, that might be something to ask Ed, as I'm not sure what material FR3 was built off of that he had written.

And thanks on the post count! Hadn't noticed that.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1757 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  21:59:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would check Lands of Intrigue and FR3 - Empires of the Sands first to see what the write-ups look like and whether they allow for the possibility.

Thanks! I hadn't thought to look for it in earlier sources. Looks pretty open to me; I'll drop a query on Ed's evergrowing inbox.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  22:39:43  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I have an glaring hole in my Myth Drannor lore, and it
appears that only you can fill it.

In the Last Dragon, where you and Ed write about Myth Drannor, there is a new map
(which I need a copy of, if you have any pull left in WOTC), and in the house
that used to belong to House Symbaern, there is now a House Orangyl. Can you PLEASE!!!
give us anything you have on this house. I've check over ever.ything I have and I
have never heard of this family before. Thank you so much
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  23:07:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Eric, I have an glaring hole in my Myth Drannor lore, and it
appears that only you can fill it.

In the Last Dragon, where you and Ed write about Myth Drannor, there is a new map
(which I need a copy of, if you have any pull left in WOTC), and in the house
that used to belong to House Symbaern, there is now a House Orangyl. Can you PLEASE!!!
give us anything you have on this house. I've check over ever.ything I have and I
have never heard of this family before. Thank you so much

It's a Sembian merchant house, one of three that have established a presence in the city after allying with the Crusade and supplying them with armaments. There's a section on the Sembians in the work I turned over. Not sure what made it into print.

The reason they were allowed to take over an elven house is presumably because that house is either extinct or no longer interested in the property.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2012 :  23:28:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, so much. Now I know what direction to go in
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  00:53:44  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you spare any other info about them?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2012 :  01:09:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Can you spare any other info about them?

I think that's all there was. I don't think any Sembian houses were named in Rich Baker's novels, but I supposed you could check there, just in case.

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 46 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000