Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 65

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  18:52:28  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She spent a few months to a year or two helping El rebuild himself after he was sent to Hell in 1372ish. See El in Hell and also Ed's Best of Ed Greenwood anthology because she also is in one of those short stories.

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

By the way, did the Srinshee do anyhting in the years between the fall and the re-taking of Myth Drannor? And what does she generally do? Guard the Vault of Ages? Do mysterious stuff? Research magic?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

narnra08
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  21:27:42  Show Profile  Visit narnra08's Homepage Send narnra08 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Mr Schend,
I love your books but I was wondering the name of Kelben and Laurel's Daughter?
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1978 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  23:00:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by narnra08

Mr Schend,

that might be under the NDA you know.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  07:00:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe, but you could make an educated guess ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  14:42:10  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kelrel! (Based on the fact that in DL, the children of Characters named Usha and Palin were, predictably, Linsha and Ulin)

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4818 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  23:44:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That might work - if the Realms were DL. But they're not. I'd suggest looking along familial lines.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  09:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. I mean, it depends if you believe the whole mess about 'Khelben messed with Laeral's brain - she doesn't really love him - she hates him'. If this is true, the names would probably be one-sided - that is, chosen by only parent. If they aren't, the names are two -sided (agreed upon by both Laeral and Khelben).

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  16:32:32  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The killer of Aravae Irithyl was revealed to be (surprise, surprise) the Starym. In LEoF I think. The coverage and discussion on this revelation was ... brief.

-- George Krashos

Heh. Saying that the Starym did something awful is about as shocking as hearing "the butler did it" in a murder novel.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 13 Oct 2008 16:37:05
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by narnra08

Mr Schend,

Alas, the name and life/fate of Khelben and Laeral's daughter (and Krehlan's twin) is yet under an NDA at present (as sfdragon guessed), but I'll check with my editor to see if it's okay to mention her. I suspect another author may beat me to it, though.....

As for her naming, only her mother was alive by the time of her birth. While she might have talked about possibilities with Khelben, the events in BLACKSTAFF note why and how he was occupied for the last few days. Thus, the naming of the children was done by Laeral (with perhaps some input from her mother).

Steven
who'd love to share more ideas about the twins but doesn't want to step on other writers' toes and force them into telling his stories (any more than he'd want someone to do that to him)

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  14:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know. I mean, it depends if you believe the whole mess about 'Khelben messed with Laeral's brain - she doesn't really love him - she hates him'. If this is true, the names would probably be one-sided - that is, chosen by only parent. If they aren't, the names are two -sided (agreed upon by both Laeral and Khelben).

Where'd this theory of Khelben-mind-messing come from, Menelvagor? I know I've heard bits and pieces of similar ideas in the past, but wondered where folks got that idea....

Steven
who's a firm believer that these two truly loved each other for centuries... but then, he's a romantic at heart (with no patience for modern romances)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3071 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:05:00  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's from the same people that brought you such other great rumors as:

"Elminster's my baby's daddy!" (voted most likely to be true)
"The Simbul's secretly plotting with the Red Wizards to take over the world."
"Drizzt is a diva."

And, my personal favorite:

"Azoun's not dead! He's been kidnapped by aliens!"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Where'd this theory of Khelben-mind-messing come from, Menelvagor? I know I've heard bits and pieces of similar ideas in the past, but wondered where folks got that idea....

Steven
who's a firm believer that these two truly loved each other for centuries... but then, he's a romantic at heart (with no patience for modern romances)

Are you trying to say Mind altering can't be romantic?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read it in a description of her on the FR Wikia.
Here is the link: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Laeral_Silverhand
Where did they get this from, I have no idea.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:29:48  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Off the top of my hat - one of the 2nd Ed write-ups of Laeral mentioned that there was speculation that when Khelben released Laeral from the Crown of Horns, he did not so much release her as take over control from the Crown. It was noted that Laeral and/or Khelben occasionally played up the rumor, in order to lure potential enemies into the open by having them contact Laeral with a proposal to break the hold (I believe, but am not certain, that it was in The Seven Sisters. Maybe the rumor has taken on a life of its own in real life?

Club Secretary of the Dragons on the Hill RPG Club of London, UK: http://dragonsonthehill.co.uk/.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  18:38:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Off the top of my hat - one of the 2nd Ed write-ups of Laeral mentioned that there was speculation that when Khelben released Laeral from the Crown of Horns, he did not so much release her as take over control from the Crown. It was noted that Laeral and/or Khelben occasionally played up the rumor, in order to lure potential enemies into the open by having them contact Laeral with a proposal to break the hold (I believe, but am not certain, that it was in The Seven Sisters. Maybe the rumor has taken on a life of its own in real life?

Now I remember. It was tossed out there (by Ed in Seven Sisters) as one potential rumor folk natter about and K&L let them believe, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Thanks, all. It's been a few years since I've reread that great sourcebook....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  21:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steve, I just reread Blackstaff Tower, and noticed you also reside in Grand Rapids, as well as teach here. Is that at college or grade school level? Also, we're supposed to get snow on Sunday and Monday. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking forward to it. :(

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  18:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Hey Steve, I just reread Blackstaff Tower, and noticed you also reside in Grand Rapids, as well as teach here. Is that at college or grade school level? Also, we're supposed to get snow on Sunday and Monday. I don't know about you, but I'm not looking forward to it. :(

I've been teaching game writing and world building workshops at Grand LAN downtown on Division and Fountain. I'm planning to advertise and see if enough students are intereted in a class in early 2009.

As for the snow, I don't mind it as I'm working at home and don't have to commute in it. Also, I don't tend to be irritated or down on snow until about late January, really. I'm one of those people who'll take the dog on extra-long walks while it's snowing.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  21:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should swing over and have you sign my copy of Blackstaff Tower. :P

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  19:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

I should swing over and have you sign my copy of Blackstaff Tower. :P

That could be arranged; check your PMs.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:11:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question about Rhymanthiin: Is Kraanfhaor's Door included in the restored area? I've found hints in other posts that suggest that it may be, but nothing conclusive. I did, however, find this little snippet:
quote:

<chop>... Dunno if it's mentioned, but I suspect that people can find Kraanfhaor's Door lies open, and an empty chamber lies beyond it after about 1377....

Second question: Does this mean that (a) the Srinshee was behind Kraanfhaor's Door (and (b) therefore, possibly, that it was a sealed portal to Arvandor)?
Third and final question, unrelated (to my knowledge) to the previous two: What was the ritual Halaster was trying to perform before his (far too untimely) demise? Anything like Szass Tam's Twin Burnings or Karsus' Avatar?

Edit: One more question: How many children did Khelben father before his (also untimely, but far more publicly noble) demise? I expect that this may be NDA...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 08 Nov 2008 22:14:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29992 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  22:46:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's this info, gathered from prior comments:

quote:
Khelben's Marriages/Loves

Dates: 714 - 748
Name: Khelben I
Marital Status: Single
Children: 1 daughter (½elf)

Dates: c.748 - c.808
Name: "Hauliyr"
Marital Status: Married
Childrne: 2 daughters (½ elves) (Saheen Silverbrow)

Dates: 844 - 956
Name: "Halver Gehrin" [Khelben II (privately only)]
Marital Status: Married (½e)
Children: 2 daughters (one ½elf, one human)

Dates: 1100 - 1256
Name: Khelben III "the Elder"
Marital Status: Married (human) Children: 1 son, 1 daughter (twin h)
Married (human) Children: 2 daughters; 1 son(Zelphar)

Dates: 1302 - now
Name: Khelben IV "the Blackstaff"
Marital Status: Single
Children: Unknown (no children? Maura?)

Marriage/Love: 750 - 774
Wife/Lover: Mariel Silverbrow
Details: Half-elf wife; as human son of half-elf, his kids can be half-elves. Raised his half-elf daughters (751, 755) until 770, and they leave. training Syluné from 775 - 808 w/death; Saheen returns to finish Syluné's training.

Marriage/Love: 808-816
Wife/Lover: (Laeral)
Details: Realizes his truelove in Laeral, though circumstances don't allow the match to happen; Khelben's identity dies, leaving Laeral to grieve.

Marriage/Love: 830s?
Details: Second missed opportunity; this time, it is Khelben who holds Laeral off

Marriage/Love: 866ish
Details: Third missed opportunity, since Khelben is married in his alias as Halver. Don't see each other after sealing of Hellgate Keep for more than 200 years.

Marriage/Love: 862 - 879
Wife/Lover: (half-elf)
Details: Wife dies in childbirth after years of trying for kids, bearing twin daughters nearly identical save that one is half-elf and the other human.

Marriage/Love: 1080s?
Details: She's married this time and he's tied up with Harperstuff….. Go nearly 300 years apart

Marriage/Love: 1109 - 1146
Wife/Lover: ? (human)
Details: Human wife in area near Yartar? Children grown & gone by 1130 (b. 1112); wife dies & K finally goes to Waterdeep as Khelben (later known as "the Elder")

Marriage/Love: 1238 - 1251?
Wife/Lover: Cassandra ?
Details: Human wife bears three kids in 1240, 1244, and 1249; 2-yr-old daughter dies in attack by Kerrigan the Traitor Lord in 1246. Disappears in 1251 after death of wife to deal with Harper business; Zelphar raised by cousins in Neverwinter and visited intermittently by Khelben (whose official death is set c.1280). Returns later as Ducat Eattel, his family gone from Waterdeep.

Marriage/Love: 1329 - present
Wife/Lover: Laeral
Details: Khelben entrenched in Waterdeep as the Blackstaff by 1322; pursues Laeral across the North at times, though she is part of the Nine now and is reluctant to finally consummate 500 years of missed opportunities and unrequited passion. Khelben continues, saving her from the Crown of Horns in 1357. By 1360, the pair is finally together & inseparable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  23:14:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2008 :  23:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

A question about Rhymanthiin: Is Kraanfhaor's Door included in the restored area? I've found hints in other posts that suggest that it may be, but nothing conclusive. I did, however, find this little snippet:
quote:

<chop>... Dunno if it's mentioned, but I suspect that people can find Kraanfhaor's Door lies open, and an empty chamber lies beyond it after about 1377....

No, Kraanfhaor's Door is most decidedly not within the restored area (at least as the map in my head tells me so).

quote:
Second question: Does this mean that (a) the Srinshee was behind Kraanfhaor's Door (and (b) therefore, possibly, that it was a sealed portal to Arvandor)?

a) Nope; she had nothing to do with that site or realm so far as I know/remember (but if another designer or writer put her there, so be it...I just know what lies behind the door in my mind).

b) Possibly, sure, but most likely nope again; it really is/was a protected storehouse of lore. No portals, no gates, nothing other than knowledge and magic in there. (Again, as far as I was concerned when I scribbled down the nuggets on the doors...)

Granted, if you want either option to be true and it works best for your campaign, go right ahead. I was just stating that these weren't part of what I'd conceived when I wrote it.

quote:
Third and final question, unrelated (to my knowledge) to the previous two: What was the ritual Halaster was trying to perform before his (far too untimely) demise? Anything like Szass Tam's Twin Burnings or Karsus' Avatar?

Beats the heck out of me; I'm not the guy who last wrote Halaster, so you'd have to ask that writer, methinks. I still haven't read the details of what happened to the old coot other than his apparent demise. From what I'd heard, it might have had to be a magic working of that scale level to have had the destructive potential it did....but I seriously doubt it was the latter.

quote:
Edit: One more question: How many children did Khelben father before his (also untimely, but far more publicly noble) demise? I expect that this may be NDA...

It is and isn't an NDA--it's not like Khelben's around any more, so it doesn't impact the IP directly. What it does indirectly is litter the campaign world with children tied directly to the older characters, and that's something that WotC wants to get away from. Thus, officially, I'll say NDA.

Unofficially (since Wooly has provided older lore out there already...and it has to be adjusted slightly due to the two novels...), I'll say eleven, adding the twins Krehlan and [his sister] born in 1375 DR.

And I can't say (officially or unofficially) which of his kids are still alive, animate, or sapient. Just know that deaths are noted for a few of them in that timeline (including Sarael the Trollscourge, whose tomb plays a part in Blackstaff Tower).

Steven
who does know quite a bit about Khelben's bloodline and relatives but can't say too much, as what'd be the fun in that?

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2008 :  01:40:42  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

<snip>
quote:

a) Nope; she had nothing to do with that site or realm so far as I know/remember (but if another designer or writer put her there, so be it...I just know what lies behind the door in my mind).

b) Possibly, sure, but most likely nope again; it really is/was a protected storehouse of lore. No portals, no gates, nothing other than knowledge and magic in there. (Again, as far as I was concerned when I scribbled down the nuggets on the doors...)

Granted, if you want either option to be true and it works best for your campaign, go right ahead. I was just stating that these weren't part of what I'd conceived when I wrote it.

Okay... so, now that you've told me what it's not, can you say anything about what was behind the door? (he asks, expecting three little letters...)
<snip>
quote:
quote:

It is and isn't an NDA--it's not like Khelben's around any more, so it doesn't impact the IP directly. What it does indirectly is litter the campaign world with children tied directly to the older characters, and that's something that WotC wants to get away from. Thus, officially, I'll say NDA.

Unofficially (since Wooly has provided older lore out there already...and it has to be adjusted slightly due to the two novels...), I'll say eleven, adding the twins Krehlan and [his sister] born in 1375 DR.

And I can't say (officially or unofficially) which of his kids are still alive, animate, or sapient. Just know that deaths are noted for a few of them in that timeline (including Sarael the Trollscourge, whose tomb plays a part in Blackstaff Tower).

Steven
who does know quite a bit about Khelben's bloodline and relatives but can't say too much, as what'd be the fun in that?

Thanks for those little bits of lore... can you say anything about the earlier generations (Arun's ancestors and siblings, for instance)? Old lore is good too...

Edited by - Jakk on 09 Nov 2008 01:41:39
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  18:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a hint about Arun's half brother in the prologue to Blackstaff, but I'll have to go dig up very old notes to find out more about the family tree BEFORE Khelben. I'm afraid most of my work/notes flows from him, not to him.

Steven

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 65 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000