Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  04:01:26  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
while you may not be able to do any of khelben's bloodline,
are there any of Maerdrym members you can tell us about?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  17:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many apologies that it took me almost a year to respond to this, as my files are a heinous mess at times (when I have to keep changing computers as old ones die beneath my fingers). Still, I finally found some old notes on Alzhedo et al and will attempt to answer long-standing queries.

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Please do ask again here and I'll answer as soon as I can; bear in mind I doubt I'll be able to detail anything on NPCs of the city and their current fate, as I've not kept up on exactly what's happened down Calimport way (and I don't want to step on any NDA toes, given that certain authors have major characters tied into the city).

Steven

Nothing that specific. It�s more some general clarifications, so that I can add the relevant phrases and terms to the �Realmspeak� glossary.

Alright, if I recall correctly, the most important question would be, what language are words like �amlakkhan,� �jhasina� and �Nallojal� in? Am I right in assuming it�s Alzhedo?

Yes, they're all Alzhedo, though I don't have direct/complete translations of what the words mean literally (though they have their meanings via context in EMPIRES et al).

quote:
A �shyk� is described as being a rank of major, whereas a �qayadin� a general. However the latter is specifically stated as being either one in the �Sadimmin� (Calimshan�s army) or �Qysaghanni� (the syl-pasha�s guardians). Does the same hold true for a �shyk,� or would one only find that rank in the regular �Sadimmin�?

Shyks are found in both, though there's far less need for as many ranks within the Qysaghanni as their numbers are far less numerous (and the prestige of being in the syl-pasha's trust weighs as much or more than a mere title/rank).

quote:
What is the difference between the �Nallojal� (Calimshan�s navy) and the �Qysanallojal� (the Imperial Navy of Calimshan)?
A �ralbahr� is described as being a rank of admiral in the �Nallojal�. Is there also one for the �Qysanallojal�?

Yes, ranks are duplicated among both navies; the only difference between the dual military structures were that one answered to the syl-pasha alone and without any restrictions, while the other ostensibly served the state of Calimshan more than it served whomever sat upon its throne.

quote:
Is �bicenta� (a gold coin of Calimport) of the same language as the examples in the first question, or is it a Common word? Can you recall where I might read about other currency used in Calimshan (or Calimport specifically)?

I believe bicenta may be a holdover term from Shoon times for the coin, rather than being an Alzhedo word; its usage in Common is more adoption than assimilation or translation (like when non-English speakers refer to transmogrify or other odd words...or an older example would be "rendezvous" as an English term even though it's obviously French in origins and never changes).

As for other notes on Calishite currency, I think all the info I had on money and coins went into print, but if any ever turns up, I'll work to get the info here.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  17:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

"Jhasin" and "jhasina" are most certainly alzhedo.

Here goes my own question to Mr. Schend:
Maybe he could reveal something about Khelben Arunsun the Younger, including his planar travels. Would it be possible to meet him in Sigil? What would his levels be? Circa 15? 20?

I know there's an NDA on Khelben Ravencloak, so yes or no to the questions would be enough.

I'm afraid the NDAs laid upon Khelbens of all stripes, manners, and times are heavy and among those paid attention to by WotC. Thus, I can't say much more than "most likely possible;" and "whatever you need/want them to be."

Sorry I can't share more on the man, but I take those NDAs seriously.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  17:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

So Steven, how are you holding up Pops? Feel 10 years older yet with your
first kid?

Just a bit, though it's wonderful to see the little guy now up and walking (or veering wildly around in his approximations of walking and running before he figures out what balance is).

quote:

This should be a simple question. We know that Tsarra cannot duplicate all
the powers that Khelben had, due to she is a non-Chosen, lower level, and
a sorcerer/arcane archer to boot. So, intimite enemies of the Blackstaff
might see different tactics that may make them question, "What?"

So the meat of the question is, does the "office" of the Blackstaff have powers
that can be used by whoever is the current Blackstaff represenative? Similar to
what Ed has said about the Mage Royal office in Cormyr where Vandy's success can
call upon distant wands or hanging spells or whatnot?

Yes, the office of the Blackstaff (as conferred upon the bearer of the title via the rank's assumption and acceptance by the True Blackstaff) carries with it a great amount of unrevealed and hidden powers.

Said powers are primarily tied to the knowledge of the previous Blackstaffs (as embodied by their spectral personas) and the Tower itself (with all its still-immeasurable stores of magic in both item and spell forms). Given the involvement of Khelben (and other Bs) in bulwarking or crafting the spell defenses within Castle Waterdeep, the Palace, and the city itself, there are many myriad secrets and powers the Blackstaff can tap that may have been long forgotten by all others (especially when Khelben's simulacrum can remind Vajra of the existence of some magic or mundane secret still untold).

In specifics to Tsarra, the biggest difficulty she had was marrying her arcane archer abilities with the Blackstaff role and cloaking how she delivered far-reaching spells (and many more than usually available to AAs, as fitting with use of Khelben's lost lore or nefarious spell crafting) without revealing she used a bow to deliver them. In fact, the omnipresent illusions she wore for over 20 years became the heart of her misdirections and ways to confound those spoiling for a fight; once the deception was revealed, she didn't abandon the use of illusions--just the wearing of Khelben's form. And one can do an awful lot to avoid greater enemies by simply appearing a score of feet away from where you actually stand.

However, I think the novel BLACKSTAFF TOWER showed one of the strengths of the Blackstaff in the many alliances, hidden friends, and long-standing arrangements known only to a Blackstaff and those involved or trusted. Don't believe for a minute that all of Khelben's or Tsarra's or Kyriani's or any other Blackstaff's machinations are solely limited to Blackstaff Tower (even if the short-sighted enemies of the same have over the centuries); after all, Khelben helped refound the Harpers at least twice and the Moonstars once, so his secrets and his plans are far wider reaching than one domicile and city.

One of Maskar Wands' few public comments on Khelben appeared in a memoir only ever read or made available to his immediate family members states it clearly: "To befriend a Blackstaff is a burden of infinite consternation only equalled by that friend's ability to repay one's friendship a thousandfold with steadfast loyalty and more astonishing magic than most see in a dozen lifetimes. Earning a Blackstaff's enmity is equally daunting and filled with amazing magics, though it often shortens one's lifetime as a result."

And last but not least, don't forget that the BLACKSTAFF novel made a permanent link between the holder of the Blackstaff's rank/office and the duplicate Tower--N’Vaerymanth (in Rhymanthiin). Thus, even if there were canonical reasons for wiping out every magical item that the Blackstaff allegedly ever had in Blackstaff Tower in Waterdeep, a simple mental spell can slip the Blackstaff to N'Vaerymanth where any necessary for one's adventure or story may have been secreted for its own protections. And everything I've stated above re: the Blackstaff building relationships with citizens or placing other secrets into the city while building/protecting it is equally true of Rhymanthiin (a city about which I can say very little due to NDAs, alas).

Hope these nuggets of ideas help, althen.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  18:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also I have found some conflicting info about Khelbens timeline
and would like u to clarify:

808-816DR As Malek Aldhanek in Stornater (Blackstaff Novel)
809-816DR As Cloistered Monk At Candlekeep (Cloak and Dagger) Found out the danger in the prophecies.

Another question: Why would Khelben worry about cleaning out spelljamming wrecks out of the Inner Sea
in the 900's DR?

1118DR Linked newly built Blackstaff Tower to Silver Safehold (C&D)
1150DR Builds Blackstaff Tower (Grand History)

While the timeline crossovers could be waved away as typoes, I'll tackle it thusly--

Part of Malek Aldhanek's background story and history was his status as a Candlekeep devout monk and scholar (all true). Many say he was actively and solely involved as a scholar there during those times, though the novel bears a different story. Know that Tsarra was not the first to wear an illusory shape to convince others that Khelben (or whomever his identity was at said time) was in one place whether he truly was or not. In truth, Khelben/Malek kept in touch with his compatriots in Candlekeep while helping Laeral establish her realm far to the noth, often teleporting among safeholds throughout the North to maintain communications between "himself" and his allies at the keep. They used a lot of then-lost information from the keep to help construct Stornanter both architecturally and arcanely. Alas, nonmagical things like greed and poisons and other led to his (and that realm's) undoing there, not the things against which he bulwarked the walls and stones of Stornanter.

The one who posed as Malek in Candlekeep when Khelben/Malek was north with Laeral was a student of his named Tsalem of Threehills Dell, a farming hamlet a half-day's ride off the great trade roads between Candlekeep and Athkatla. Threehills Dell has not existed, nor have any heard of or spoken of the settlement in more than 400 years.

As for why Khelben spent time beneath the sea cleaning out spelljamming wrecks and other things? Twofold reasons:

A) A wife he loved greatly had died (and he believed the fault lay with him for a time) and he mourned greatly, but had little wish to do so publicly (and few can recognize tears when living in salt water).

B) If he did not claim or destroy many of the powerful things left lying about where anyone of questionable morals might find or use them, any resulting destruction from the use of said plunder was his own irresponsible fault. (At least, that's how I saw his mind working at that time...)

Last but not least, the 1118 DR reference to Blackstaff Tower should have been a reference to Arunsun Tower, which it was dubbed for many years until after the death of Zelphar Arunsun and the public assumption and adoption of the Blackstaff mantle by "Zelphar's son."

Clear as mud? Always glad to obfuscate (as Khelben taught me).

Steven

Edited by - Steven Schend on 05 Sep 2011 18:14:59
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  18:11:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

quote:
Who is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka? How does Tsarra know him? And what do 'yn', 'el' and 'yi' mean? Son of? From?

quote:
Tsarra only knows of him as one of Khelben's Tel'Teukiira (and he was first mentioned in CLOAK & DAGGER); he's a former Harper turned vampire turned Moonstar who operates (?) among the southern Realms for Khelben. As for his name, it is "Asraf, son of Malik of the (house/family) Kahaman from Manshaka."

Is there a feminine naming convention like this, also?
yn = son of
??? = daughter of

Thanks in advance!

Alzhedo naming conventions are covered in EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA but I just dug up old note on the matter, so here's the skinny:

ym [pr] slave of / bastard spawn of / unrecognized issue of
yn [pr] son of
yr [pr] daughter of

Note that naming of daughters links to the mother's name, not the father's (so Ariana yr Tora el Bakran = daughter of Tora in the Bakran family).

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  18:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

while you may not be able to do any of khelben's bloodline,
are there any of Maerdrym members you can tell us about?

Not to sound flippant here, but nope. NDAs stand at the doors of the Maerdrym family crypt where all their secrets lie. Sorry.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  18:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bahgtru

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any thing in the works that would be Orc centric and might involve crossover with the Astral Sea and Gruumsh's role as God of Destruction and Chaos and war with Bane?

Also, did Hartsvale survive the Spellplague and are the descendants of Brianna Hartiwick and Tavis Burdrn still the rulers?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, Bahgtru, and thanks for asking, but I've got little or nothing to do with either Hartsvale or orc-centric works either in planning or past work. Thus, I'm afraid I'm not really able to answer your questions in any reasonable way.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  18:34:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I'll pop in and ask if Steven could share something more about:
a) Arun Maerdrym (Khelben's father)
b) the Duel-Ring of Ghuraxx, mentioned in Blackstaff pg. 112
Thanks in advance,
Zireael

As I said above, I can't answer anything about Arun or any of the Maerdryms without stepping on some big NDAs and other authorial toes, alas.

As for the Duel-Ring of Ghuraxx, I've got some notes somewheres on that I'll hope to dig up sooner than it took me to dig up the Alzhedo notes.....but not today. At the least, I remember it's an item crafted for magical dueling and its primary power gave its wearer spell identification in far faster fashion than normally able and the ability to siphon off X-amount of raw power from all spells directed at the wearer within the last hour to be later funneled into a final gambit of a spell (if necessary) regardless of the type or impact of said spells.

And yes, that would allow for abuse by its wearer--one of the reasons Khelben laid claim to the ring to keep it out of scurrilious hands long ago. Ghuraxx, a notorious cheater at Magefairs, would often pump his ring up with a dozen low level divination spells in order to cast a chain lightning spell through his ring that inflicted twice its normal maximum damage.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2011 :  20:27:16  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Mr Schend, and very good to hear from you!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2011 :  02:15:22  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, didn't you come back with all the guns blazing.

A follow-up to the spelljammer question. Where they "his" ships or
in his hire? Where they loaded with things what he was personally
interested in? What was his main concentration in wildspace, helping
the elven navy, protecting from intergalactic invasion, looking for
the lost chldren of Aryvandaar? I fully expect to run head first into
an NDA here.
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2011 :  06:59:50  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. schend I was really fascinated with the elven military ranking system in the cormanthyr book you wrote and was wondering if you had
any more notes or ideas on the ranks like other medals or awards that elves can acquire while in service like the purple heart, silver star, or medal of honor, also did the elven military have rank tattoos for anything like special forces sorta like how the u.s Army has for recon, sappers, or rangers?

P.S. was the rank structure in myth drannor the same as all other elven nations or did they each have the same or similar military structure?
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2011 :  04:46:53  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi folks. Pinging myself here to remind me of things I meant to answer and/or acknowledge but haven't.....

As soon as I can track down my original files for LANDS OF INTRIGUE, I should be able to find the details on these places (as George surmised, from the pre-edited version of the material).

One of these days, I'll find the time to build up my steveneschend.com website and be able to answer things there (and store the answers there as well). As time's not been exactly plentiful for me of late, don't hold your breaths.

quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Hello, Steven, I'm huntin' fer Tethyrian lore and I was told that you are the man to talk to about such. I asked about these locales on the Ask Ed thread:

- Banshivale
- Brinniq Dell
- Canaith
- Castle Dasaajk
- Caves of Memory
- Grapton
- Grapevine’s Root
- Guardian’s Garrison
- Hostim
- Keeperstone
- Marakir
- Nine Ladies
- Samyte’s Tomb
- Seven Stars
- Strohm IV's Tomb
- Tinkersdam's Cave
- Tresqyl Vineyards

And learned that some are in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, but Eric L. Boyd also chimed in with: [quote]"A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)" /quote]

I was wonderin' if you could share anymore lore on any of the above locales, or any other cut Tethyr bits that you care to share! The more Tethyr the merrier. Thanks ahead.

While I was searching the web for some information on a dragon(s) name, I came across a page on Tethyr that looks to be the Tethyr part of the Lands of Intrigue boxed set, except it had some parts that are not in the printed copy.

Steven, can you tell us if this info is canon or not?

The Caves of Memory: Due west of Hawkwing's Brook nearly 50 miles and high up within the western Starspires are a series of small caves, the sole entrance overgrown with weeds and crawling ivy but marked by a peculiar scar of exposed red rock on the slope above it. Only small halflings can enter without stooping or crawling, but after a few feet, the cavern floor slopes down and the ceilings open up. Within are a number of passages and dry caverns, though all have small vents in them which emit a curious, acrid ocher smoke. Many go and pray to the gods in these caves, since they bring visions and close communion with high powers, but many become enraptured with the caves' power and die of starvation, too entranced to know to eat.

The Royal Tombs
Since the death of the first clan chief before the actual formation of Tethyr, it has been a tradition to bury leaders in secret, both to prevent tomb robberies of the ruler's relics and to deny enemies any chance of revenge against them—A Calishite practice (later seen used by the Shoon) was to unearth a foe's ancestors and animate them as powerful skeletal warriors to demoralize the people and destroy their foes. Thus, it was pertinent to hide the leaders' remains, and the practice continued until the reign of Monarch Alemander II. Thus, with the exception of the King's Tree of Tethir and the more recent royal tombs out on the plains, all of the monarchs of Tethyr are buried in secret tombs among the Starspire Mountains and their surrounding foothills.
While the early chiefs' tombs were simple cairns and internment mounds, a monarch's tomb was always the responsibility of his Court Vizera. The vizera was the only person to know the exact location of the monarch's final resting place, and she created and magically protected the tomb with unknown magics. Upon the death of a monarch, the body and its regalia and relics would lie in state at Ithalyr, Castle Dasaajk, Thellaqar House, Alisande Court, Faerntarn, or Castle Tethyr (the royal palaces of Tethyr) for at least a tenday and then be magically assumed to the crypt by the vizera. The crypt never has any connections to open air or to other caverns; any connections used in the building of the tomb are blocked by rockfalls or shaped stone—In other words, there are no signs from above or below of where a royal tomb might be.
To likewise protect the tombs of the kings and other secrets kept by the wizardesses, the Court Vizera was also interred in a secret tomb by her apprentice and successor. Like the monarch's tombs, only one person knew the location of a vizera's tomb: her apprentice and successor, the new Court Vizera. The vizeras built their own library-tombs, filled with their knowledge and work (and sometimes used in life as an isolated place of study), and divulged the location to their heirs before they died. As a rule, the vizera placed her crypt near the kings she had buried, though this may be more legend than fact. Like the monarchial tombs, the crypt of a vizera was reachable only by teleportation.
In the course of Tethyr's 16 centuries, only the hidden tombs of two monarchs have ever been disturbed: Strohm IV and Samyte the Martyr in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR). Their contents were looted and scattered about the Realms by Bhaal-worshipers, whom some say were directed by the god of murder to do so, in revenge for Samyte's strife against Bhaal's worshipers during his lifetime. These two tombs have since been resealed and are rumored to be cursed places among the Starspires 70 miles east of Zazesspur. As has always been the law, attempts to locate the tombs of either the monarchs or the vizeras are at least minor crimes, and to actually force one open and steal anything is punishable by death. As another deterrent, many legends (prevalent only in the last century) talk of ghostly vizeras rising from their graves to defend the crypt of their kings. There are no facts to prove these legends, other than the grisly but unsolved deaths of a few principals that desecrated the tomb of Samyte—Three skeletons were found standing guard at the sundered hillside entry to the tomb, their former thieves' bodies lying just inside the tomb laden with jewels, though many treasures were still stolen despite the new guards.

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2012 :  13:56:40  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know you're very busy, Steven but I have just one question (big picture question) :
If someone brings in Waterdeep the crown of horns without activating it, will Khelben and other persons immediately know it is back? What could be the consequences of such return ?
(I'm not sure of doing it in my Waterdeep campaign, that's why I'm asking you first)

Edited by - Marco Volo on 14 Jan 2012 13:59:02
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2012 :  22:18:56  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, doing some 'googling' for my dwarf-centered game, I came across a certain Ryttal Ghalmrin. The Ghalmrin name is familiar to those sticking their noses into Tethyr or Old Shanatar, but I had not come across this particular dwarf before. Is there more information on Ryttal? e.g. how does she relate to Arduke Obar Ghalmrin of Morndivver...?
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  02:43:53  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

It doesn't look like you frequent these boards too often, but in case you're passing by, I wonder whether you could prefer a physical description of Adama Miralln, the Tymoran priest who frequents the Yawning Portal and reports of adventurers' escapades in Undermountain. Some of my PCs are likely to meet him soon.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  04:25:18  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i don't suppose you could tell us whick archdevil stabbed khelben
could you?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, didn't you come back with all the guns blazing.

A follow-up to the spelljammer question. Where they "his" ships or
in his hire? Where they loaded with things what he was personally
interested in? What was his main concentration in wildspace, helping
the elven navy, protecting from intergalactic invasion, looking for
the lost chldren of Aryvandaar? I fully expect to run head first into
an NDA here.

Yeesh. Sorry for lengthy delays in responses, all.

A) There were some ships that were his hires (not that they knew that, given how many layers of agents he put between himself and others at that time). For the most part, though, they had little to do with him in the broader sense of things (especially when you figure he had a direct hand in maybe 4% of the ships he dealt with re: cleaning up wrecks).

B) Not as much as they were loaded with things of interest to others in whom (Khelben) was watching or guarding against.

C) And now we slam hard against at least two NDAs, I'm afraid.

The shortest answers re: Khelben getting busy cleaning up after shipwrecks in the Inner Sea are still the strongest, though--he didn't want stuff falling into the wrong hands AND he needed a long and immersive distraction from the loss of his wife at that time.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

Mr. schend I was really fascinated with the elven military ranking system in the cormanthyr book you wrote and was wondering if you had
any more notes or ideas on the ranks like other medals or awards that elves can acquire while in service like the purple heart, silver star, or medal of honor, also did the elven military have rank tattoos for anything like special forces sorta like how the u.s Army has for recon, sappers, or rangers?

P.S. was the rank structure in myth drannor the same as all other elven nations or did they each have the same or similar military structure?

I'm afraid I've precious little lore to share beyond what's already in print via Cormanthyr & Fall of Myth Drannor, Kysus.

All of your ideas/notes seem feasible within the structure as already laid out, though I have no details---and Ed would be a better one to answer such anyways. Any answers I might cobble together would step on more than a few too many toes creatively and I've no wish to do that.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:

Hi folks. Pinging myself here to remind me of things I meant to answer and/or acknowledge but haven't.....

As soon as I can track down my original files for LANDS OF INTRIGUE, I should be able to find the details on these places (as George surmised, from the pre-edited version of the material).

One of these days, I'll find the time to build up my steveneschend.com website and be able to answer things there (and store the answers there as well). As time's not been exactly plentiful for me of late, don't hold your breaths.

quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Hello, Steven, I'm huntin' fer Tethyrian lore and I was told that you are the man to talk to about such. I asked about these locales on the Ask Ed thread:

- Banshivale
- Brinniq Dell
- Canaith
- Castle Dasaajk
- Caves of Memory
- Grapton
- Grapevine’s Root
- Guardian’s Garrison
- Hostim
- Keeperstone
- Marakir
- Nine Ladies
- Samyte’s Tomb
- Seven Stars
- Strohm IV's Tomb
- Tinkersdam's Cave
- Tresqyl Vineyards

And learned that some are in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, but Eric L. Boyd also chimed in with: [quote]"A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)" /quote]

I was wonderin' if you could share anymore lore on any of the above locales, or any other cut Tethyr bits that you care to share! The more Tethyr the merrier. Thanks ahead.

While I was searching the web for some information on a dragon(s) name, I came across a page on Tethyr that looks to be the Tethyr part of the Lands of Intrigue boxed set, except it had some parts that are not in the printed copy.

Steven, can you tell us if this info is canon or not?

The Caves of Memory: Due west of Hawkwing's Brook nearly 50 miles and high up within the western Starspires are a series of small caves, the sole entrance overgrown with weeds and crawling ivy but marked by a peculiar scar of exposed red rock on the slope above it. Only small halflings can enter without stooping or crawling, but after a few feet, the cavern floor slopes down and the ceilings open up. Within are a number of passages and dry caverns, though all have small vents in them which emit a curious, acrid ocher smoke. Many go and pray to the gods in these caves, since they bring visions and close communion with high powers, but many become enraptured with the caves' power and die of starvation, too entranced to know to eat.

The Royal Tombs
Since the death of the first clan chief before the actual formation of Tethyr, it has been a tradition to bury leaders in secret, both to prevent tomb robberies of the ruler's relics and to deny enemies any chance of revenge against them—A Calishite practice (later seen used by the Shoon) was to unearth a foe's ancestors and animate them as powerful skeletal warriors to demoralize the people and destroy their foes. Thus, it was pertinent to hide the leaders' remains, and the practice continued until the reign of Monarch Alemander II. Thus, with the exception of the King's Tree of Tethir and the more recent royal tombs out on the plains, all of the monarchs of Tethyr are buried in secret tombs among the Starspire Mountains and their surrounding foothills.
While the early chiefs' tombs were simple cairns and internment mounds, a monarch's tomb was always the responsibility of his Court Vizera. The vizera was the only person to know the exact location of the monarch's final resting place, and she created and magically protected the tomb with unknown magics. Upon the death of a monarch, the body and its regalia and relics would lie in state at Ithalyr, Castle Dasaajk, Thellaqar House, Alisande Court, Faerntarn, or Castle Tethyr (the royal palaces of Tethyr) for at least a tenday and then be magically assumed to the crypt by the vizera. The crypt never has any connections to open air or to other caverns; any connections used in the building of the tomb are blocked by rockfalls or shaped stone—In other words, there are no signs from above or below of where a royal tomb might be.
To likewise protect the tombs of the kings and other secrets kept by the wizardesses, the Court Vizera was also interred in a secret tomb by her apprentice and successor. Like the monarch's tombs, only one person knew the location of a vizera's tomb: her apprentice and successor, the new Court Vizera. The vizeras built their own library-tombs, filled with their knowledge and work (and sometimes used in life as an isolated place of study), and divulged the location to their heirs before they died. As a rule, the vizera placed her crypt near the kings she had buried, though this may be more legend than fact. Like the monarchial tombs, the crypt of a vizera was reachable only by teleportation.
In the course of Tethyr's 16 centuries, only the hidden tombs of two monarchs have ever been disturbed: Strohm IV and Samyte the Martyr in the Year of the Shattered Altar (1264 DR). Their contents were looted and scattered about the Realms by Bhaal-worshipers, whom some say were directed by the god of murder to do so, in revenge for Samyte's strife against Bhaal's worshipers during his lifetime. These two tombs have since been resealed and are rumored to be cursed places among the Starspires 70 miles east of Zazesspur. As has always been the law, attempts to locate the tombs of either the monarchs or the vizeras are at least minor crimes, and to actually force one open and steal anything is punishable by death. As another deterrent, many legends (prevalent only in the last century) talk of ghostly vizeras rising from their graves to defend the crypt of their kings. There are no facts to prove these legends, other than the grisly but unsolved deaths of a few principals that desecrated the tomb of Samyte—Three skeletons were found standing guard at the sundered hillside entry to the tomb, their former thieves' bodies lying just inside the tomb laden with jewels, though many treasures were still stolen despite the new guards.

Sorry for long repost, but figured it'd be easier to keep all info together.

I believe those two chunks you quoted came from my original draft(s) of LOI and material like that was cut for space; I'm unable to share the material at present for a number of reasons, but there are those out there with the material as it was given away at a Gen Con IIRC. Perhaps they might be persuaded to share the info with Candlekeep at large...

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

I know you're very busy, Steven but I have just one question (big picture question) :
If someone brings in Waterdeep the crown of horns without activating it, will Khelben and other persons immediately know it is back? What could be the consequences of such return ?
(I'm not sure of doing it in my Waterdeep campaign, that's why I'm asking you first)

While unlikely this is far too late to be useful for your campaign, that artifact/relic in particular (and any item of that power level, frankly) would light up so many bells and whistles of magical warnings laid down by Khelben, other mages of note (at least the Wands clan if not others), as well as the Lords and their supporters.

Suffice it to say that any time something of that magnitude passing the gates of the city (or even approaching within a vague range of numerous sites in the city--any named landmark of the Lords or Khelben at the least), there's at least four or five different power groups or individuals who'll learn that such an item is near, what its primary power/influence is, who/what crafted it, and/or if it's specifically any particular named item. (And it might even be as simple a system as shown in the FR comics with a little bell ringing when a particular item gets too close to said sensors....).

Hope that info's of some help or use even after so late a time.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:45:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Steven, doing some 'googling' for my dwarf-centered game, I came across a certain Ryttal Ghalmrin. The Ghalmrin name is familiar to those sticking their noses into Tethyr or Old Shanatar, but I had not come across this particular dwarf before. Is there more information on Ryttal? e.g. how does she relate to Arduke Obar Ghalmrin of Morndivver...?

Can't say (as I don't really know) how Ryttal relates to Obar, but that site you linked to has all I had on hand re: her and the Shield Belt (that I can legally give out, anyways), I'm afraid.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:54:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

i don't suppose you could tell us whick archdevil stabbed khelben
could you?

Thought that was clear in FoMD ("Fate of the Nameless One")--Colonel Cvor "the Whipmaster" was the one who nearly ripped him totally in half outside of Silverymoon.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  01:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Hi Steven,

It doesn't look like you frequent these boards too often, but in case you're passing by, I wonder whether you could prefer a physical description of Adama Miralln, the Tymoran priest who frequents the Yawning Portal and reports of adventurers' escapades in Undermountain. Some of my PCs are likely to meet him soon.

Thanks!

I've no notes whatsoever on what that young priest looks like, so his appearance is totally up to you. I'd steer away, however, from making him anything like Edward James Olmos despite the shared name between the priest (written long before Battlestar Galactica got remade with that actor as Adama).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2012 :  08:11:00  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hope that info's of some help or use even after so late a time.
Steven

It is, because I write VERY early. Thanks for your useful reply
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  04:38:07  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry sir, I didn't consider Coronel Cvor an archdevil. i just thought he
was another Nycoloth.

I don't think there is a connection here, but is there any kind
of cooperation between Kymil Nimesin and the 5 Prefects?

Edited by - althen artren on 24 Apr 2012 04:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  19:12:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry sir, I didn't consider Coronel Cvor an archdevil. i just thought he
was another Nycoloth.

I don't think there is a connection here, but is there any kind
of cooperation between Kymil Nimesin and the 5 Prefects?

In a word, no. (Nice to have easy answers that don't tread on NDAs, innit?)

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  20:34:48  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can't say (as I don't really know) how Ryttal relates to Obar, but that site you linked to has all I had on hand re: her and the Shield Belt (that I can legally give out, anyways), I'm afraid.

Steven

Thanks Steven, maybe not the answer I was hoping for , but thanks anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Arunsun
Acolyte

France
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  21:21:12  Show Profile Send Arunsun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven,

here's another annoying Frenchman with another annoying question :

What is Bulaedo's (the owner of the Thirsty Throat Tavern) exact second name ? On the City of Splendors poster map, his name is spelled "LedGIleer", but in appendix 2 of the Who's Who booklet, it reads "LedIGleer" (twice).

Very confusing, to this French guy at least - I would be tempted to go with Ledgileer because of "ledge" and "leer", but confirmation would be much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2012 :  21:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arunsun

Hello Steven,

here's another annoying Frenchman with another annoying question :

What is Bulaedo's (the owner of the Thirsty Throat Tavern) exact second name ? On the City of Splendors poster map, his name is spelled "LedGIleer", but in appendix 2 of the Who's Who booklet, it reads "LedIGleer" (twice).

Very confusing, to this French guy at least - I would be tempted to go with Ledgileer because of "ledge" and "leer", but confirmation would be much appreciated.

Believe the text, as it was proofed better than the map, I'm afraid.

Steven

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000