Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 65

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  13:47:16  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

It may be a tad premature, but I'm looking at publishing a world in PDF form without necessary ties to any game rules (or perhaps just dropping them in as sidebars, using OGL just due to market saturation, or perhaps some other OGL out there). I'm not sure how long this will take, given my lack of professional mapping/illustrating skills, but I'm shooting for text preparation by autumn.
I can understand where you're coming from with this. I've actually been attempting to do much the same with the world I've been working on for the past 4 years. So I know how difficult it can be to get things "just" right.

I wish you luck for your efforts Steven.
quote:
The question for me is whether there'd be more interest in a world and adventures among gaming fans or if there's more interest in producing my game design/world build classes as online classes/textbooks.
I'd be happy with either option. But that's just me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jun 2008 13:50:32
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13822 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  15:29:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The question for me is whether there'd be more interest in a world and adventures among gaming fans or if there's more interest in producing my game design/world build classes as online classes/textbooks.
Why not both?

One of my favorite online map-tutorials starts you off with a blank page, and then walks you through all the steps of fantasy map-making using Photoshop. As the series of video-articles progresses, the map slowly takes shape.

Another example of this is how the rules were presented in 3e - they introduced us to the iconic characters early on, and then used them in all the examples.

What you could do is have your course teach about world-building, and through the course you show people how your world unfolds. In that way, you kill two birds with one stone, and generate twice as much interest in a single product (or series of products - if the first one goes over big - you come out with another for races, and another for classes, ect...).

I know that if I could get a How-to and a setting in one package, it would be a no-brainer for me to buy.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2008 18:42:58
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Why not both?

One of my favorite online map-tutorials starts you off with a blank page, and then walks you through all the steps of fantasy map-making using Photoshop. As the series of video-articles progresses, the map slowly takes shape.

So which product is this with its online map tutorials? I'm very curious to find an easy-to-use mapper/graphics program that allows me to use/publish the maps without there being a rights issue to them.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13822 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  18:51:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use Photoshop, because I already had it.

I would buy the ProFantasy Products if they weren't so expensive, simply because they are better geered (and prettier) for what I like to do.

But since I did want to use Photoshop, I found the series of articles entitled "Fantasy Cartography" at YouTube indespensible.

The Link

While I always use them through YouTube (because thats how I found them), you can also view them through the guy's own site -

Zombie Nirvana Games

Whithout that gentleman's help, I would never have been able to produce all those textures I use in my maps, which everyone seems to enjoy so much.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jun 2008 18:51:49
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  23:25:53  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

For the NWN2 PW project I'm involved with I'm having some fun trying to dream up what the Amnian royalty would have been like, before the last king was assassinated and the royal throne collapsed in 1276. It's exactly the sort of thing I enjoy most about this hobby--fleshing out this type of aspect of the setting sort of allows fans to play at being designer.

Some questions:

1) Were the Calishite vassal state of Valashar and Emirate of Amin different entities?

2) Calishite royal titles?

These are the ones I was able to find gleaning from LoI, EotSS and Calimport:

syl-pasha - ultimate ruler of Calimshan
grand caleph - head of a group of caliphates
pasha aka caleph - ruler of caliphate
emir - ruler of an emirate, a provincial governor
syl-vizar - ?
vizier - court advisor
nazir - prefect

Are there more?

Also, I'm wondering what sorts of duites the Amnian 'nazir' was responsible for. The title of 'prefect' is a Roman concept for any sort of civil or military administrator. But here, might it be something a bit more like a knight in practice? Or perhaps a sheriff? In Moorish Spain 'nazirs' were the defenders or wardens of mosques. Though in Amn the role of religion is not so great in the society. Anyway, with Tethyr's knights right next door I wondered if the position might bear a resemblance.

3) What sort of blend might there be of the Calishite and Tethyrian systems of royalty?

There's an opportunity here to create a sort of hybrid of real world Arabian and European inspirations.

The nation was founded by Calishite military, so I would think it would tend to favor the Calishite system, but it would have Tethyrian influences strongly blended in.

4) Why did Esmel Torlath decide to establish a monarchy, i.e., to declare himself king, as opposed to using a Calishite title?

Possible motivations or influences:

* a desire to establish a unique, separate identity for the new nation of Amn (i.e., distinct from Calimshan)
* Amn had just partnered with Tethyr in the revolt against Calimshan
* perhaps make the closest foreign trade partners (Cormyr, Western Heartlands, Turmish) feel more comfortable
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  21:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick post (and apologies to Lemernis and Markustay for not answering them in timely fashion), but I'm only home for about 48 hours before we're off to San Francisco to visit mine elder sibling for a week.

There's two new pages on http://steveneschend.com/ , one of which might be of particular interest to folks hereabouts.....

Steven

Edited by - Steven Schend on 01 Jul 2008 22:00:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  01:50:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick post (and apologies to Lemernis and Markustay for not answering them in timely fashion), but I'm only home for about 48 hours before we're off to San Francisco to visit mine elder sibling for a week.

There's two new pages on http://steveneschend.com/ , one of which might be of particular interest to folks hereabouts.....

Steven
Nice!

I can't want to see what we'll learn of these other five who bore the burden of Blackstaff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  06:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this most recent novel is anything like the last one, I'll have a great read and a great resource to use in my 4E Forgotten Realms campaign.

Only one of my players don't read the FR fiction regularly and he's good about keeping secrets, which means I get to show the other players in game what new things have happened in the setting.

This should be absolutely awesome.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  23:40:06  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, how did you acquire your appreciation for scotch? Was it instantaneous or did you have to earn it?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  23:56:41  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven,
I was wondering if there could be any serious enough event (such as the Sellplague)
that would make Khelben want to come back and help the world survive. I know his soul "aches for rest", but I would figure in a serious enough event, he would feel
that he needed to come back steer the ship?
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  11:12:05  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW, please let there be no urgency whatsoever about answering my question. Have a great time!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  16:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Hello Steven,
I was wondering if there could be any serious enough event (such as the Sellplague)
that would make Khelben want to come back and help the world survive. I know his soul "aches for rest", but I would figure in a serious enough event, he would feel

NDAs will prevent my discussing this topic, I'm afraid, althen...

Steven

Edited by - Steven Schend on 03 Jul 2008 16:25:46
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  16:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Steven, how did you acquire your appreciation for scotch? Was it instantaneous or did you have to earn it?

I'd love to say it was instantaneous and involving a bevy of Scottish red-haired fae, but alas, my taste for scotch has grown over the years. I blame Zeb Cook, really; I'd not really tasted a decent scotch until he'd dragged me to a bar in Georgetown (this was around 1993 or so) that specialized in single malts, and there was where it all started.

Steven

Edited by - Steven Schend on 03 Jul 2008 16:29:43
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  17:09:23  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh my Goodness!
That says quite alot.

Do you remeber when you wrote CEoE and FoMD
if there were any other philosophical orders
like the one Ed wrote about in RoMD on the Poster Card?
If not, I just ask him.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  18:15:41  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage  Click to see AlorinDawn's MSN Messenger address Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In Ed's The Code of the Harpers supplement he provided us a very insightful year in the life of a Harper Agent. Could you please provide something similar for a Moonstar agent? Lastly, as if I hadn't asked enough already, are there any tidbits O' lore concerning the Moonstars you could share?

Whew. Well, I don't have time to set up a whole year (and IIRC, Ed's notes on that in COH covered several pages). I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with over the next several days, but I doubt it'll be as quality or as comprehensive as Ed's efforts (but we'll try). More later....

Steven
[/quote]

Hopefully you won't mind if I nudge you on this one =)

Many thanks and I look forward to meeting you at Gencon.

Currently reading: Eyes of The Dragon by Stephen King

Long live Sniffy Wigglebottom
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3524 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  18:48:44  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd love to say it was instantaneous and involving a bevy of Scottish red-haired fae, but alas, my taste for scotch has grown over the years. I blame Zeb Cook, really; I'd not really tasted a decent scotch until he'd dragged me to a bar in Georgetown (this was around 1993 or so) that specialized in single malts, and there was where it all started.

Steven

I was reading an article on the origins of scotch about a year ago and I shared how interesting I thought it was. Being further proof of what a fine wife she is, Mrs. Red Walker surprised me with a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 year single malt. Not wanting to disappoint, I promptly quaffed a glass and told her how much I appreciated it. Now that being said, even though I did not show it on my face all I tasted was much reminiscent of Fizban's Fireball spell!! I am looking for any and all ways to try it that would not be insulting to it's makers. I tried it straight and I assume that on the rocks would be appropos, maybe a spot of soda??? How do you drink yours?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2893 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  20:07:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Hey Steven over at Paizo F. Wesley Schneider said This
quote:
F. Wesley Schneider (Managing Editor), 3 hours, 2 minutes ago Reply: Totally! We'd love to have someone like Steven working with us (I LOVED Skullport!). He's not someone I've ever worked with before on either Dragon on Pathfinder so we didn't hit up his door when we went banging around during our "Hey, we're doing this thing called Pathfinder..." phase. But yeah, next time we do a round of assignments we'll keep him in mind (or if anyone knows him and wants to bring this thread up, I'd love to hear from him!). My roleplaying roots totally stem from second edition Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and Planescape, so the more names we can get on board from those awesome days and the more excited (fanboyed out) I get!

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/general/stevenSchend&page=1#624261
-So maybe you could talk to them during GenCon or something, and help take Pathfinder to the next level!
P.S. Looking forward to Blackstaff Tower.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Steven

One has to keep their eye on those Scottish fae. Have a good time in SF, but beware the fires.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  00:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Hey Steven over at Paizo F. Wesley Schneider said This
quote:
F. Wesley Schneider (Managing Editor), 3 hours, 2 minutes ago Reply: Totally! We'd love to have someone like Steven working with us (I LOVED Skullport!). He's not someone I've ever worked with before on either Dragon on Pathfinder so we didn't hit up his door when we went banging around during our "Hey, we're doing this thing called Pathfinder..." phase. But yeah, next time we do a round of assignments we'll keep him in mind (or if anyone knows him and wants to bring this thread up, I'd love to hear from him!). My roleplaying roots totally stem from second edition Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and Planescape, so the more names we can get on board from those awesome days and the more excited (fanboyed out) I get!

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/general/stevenSchend&page=1#624261
-So maybe you could talk to them during GenCon or something, and help take Pathfinder to the next level!
P.S. Looking forward to Blackstaff Tower.

BRIMSTONE

Wow, if Eric and Ed are already working for Paizo, and they'll hire Steven (and George "The Mentat" Krashos), it's going to be a Golden Age for Golarion!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Master of Realmslore

1986 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  09:54:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Hello Steven,

that is a scary scary thought there bub, ravencloak may still be kicking it in greyhawk somewhere, things could only get scarier in waterdeep mind you if at the end of the blackstaff tower novel, if khelben the older and younger both showed up and kicked the antagonist's collective buttocks all the way to warrior's rest and back

now if someone could give me info on the true blackstaff.......

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 06 Jul 2008 10:00:40
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
778 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  02:48:14  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spells stilled, sfdragon,

To my knowledge, this is no "official" write up
of the Blackstaff. I have looked on the Internet and all the
tomes that I have. I direct you to pages 4-8 of Blackstaff (the novel)
to see the known powers that the axe-head had that Khelben's
father used and the Duskwood of Sarael Khelben carried and
to see the situation that merged the two. (my guess it
was a retribution strike, so the staff was a specialized
staff of power or a staff of the magi.)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  03:07:06  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, did you ever find your notes for Skull & Crossbows or recall from whence the copper "octon" coins were considered to come? Since there is a scroll on coinage floating around here now, I bumped my "Realms spelljamming" scroll back to the top of its pile.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  04:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage  Send Kes_Alanadel a Yahoo! Message Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

now if someone could give me info on the true blackstaff.......

According to the 2e Heroes' Lorebook, pg. 62, it is a Staff of Power with Khelben's Blackstaff spell cast on it. The FRCS on page 275 says the same thing, except that the spell is permanent, plus a few other powers.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  08:02:18  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven: Blackstaff Tower. Pre-Spellplague or not?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2008 :  09:04:23  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He's already said it's after the Spellplague. So, it's 4e FR.

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Steven: Blackstaff Tower. Pre-Spellplague or not?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 65 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000