Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:05:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cursed library books? The ghost of Jorge Luis Borges will get you for that.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  19:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Only if it can catch me.

Steven
who only runs when chased

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  22:27:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chaimail clad VIXENS?!

Why didn't someone tell me SOONER?

All those wasted years....

Normally I never point out people's typos (you quoted one of mine), but that one was just too funny to pass up. I suppose The City of Hops would be the Dwarven equivalent of Shangri-la or paradise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  02:39:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Chaimail clad VIXENS?!

Why didn't someone tell me SOONER?

All those wasted years....

We officially had to wait for them to all stop swooning at Bob Salvatore and Ed. That's why we didn't say anything. NDA and all that. You understand, of course....

quote:

Normally I never point out people's typos (you quoted one of mine), but that one was just too funny to pass up. I suppose The City of Hops would be the Dwarven equivalent of Shangri-la or paradise.

Perhaps, perhaps. Still, I always saw the halflings as the true connisseurs of brewing in the Realms. I hope that WotC has made the Talltankard hin clan of Amn/Tethyr the true power in beer and ale distribution for the Sword Coast of 15th century Faerun...

Steven
who will admit that dwarves do make up between 3% and 10% of the population in the City of Hope

PS: Just in case I didn't make it clear earlier, that circular road/wall foundation around the City that IS visible? It's a two-mile diameter circle, giving you an idea of the size of the city that was grown in the BLACKSTAFF ritual.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2008 :  02:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, there's at least two or three gold elf family names mentioned in Blackstaff (novel); the ones he's on best terms with might be the Ilbaereths (who descended from two Myth Drannor families....can't remember which ones but their names mash together into Ilbaereth and it got a mention when Tsarra met Yaereene).

Hmmm... I need to read it again, since I can't remember that bit although several of my PCs have met Lady Ilbaereth. That said, will 'Blackstaff Tower' feature any elven clans or reveal juicy tidbits about ancient elven realms? I have high expectations for it, since it's probably going to be the only 4E FR novel I'm going to buy.

Whoa. Left this one for a few weeks unanswered. Sorry about that.

Without revealing too much about the plot, there are no revealed elven clans or new tidbits about ancient elven realms in BLACKSTAFF TOWER, I'm afraid. You'll meet a few friends of Khelben's who've survived the 105-year-jump, make a whole passel of new friends who're contemporary Waterdhavians (and one who hails originally from Loudwater, about which little was said, alas), and make the acquaintance with a number of noble houses (some of whose fates are discussed circuitously, if at all).

Now that I think about it, there's a number of half-elves in the story, but precious few elves. Dwarves and halflings and my favorite gnome character I've ever written, yes, but alas, few elves. I may have unconsciously avoided using them, given how much they factored into the first novel. <shrug>

Don't give up on the Realms, Asgetrion--I suspect you might like a few more of the "Ed Greenwood Presents" series, which could give you a lot to like about the Waterdeep of 1479DR. I know I'm hoping to write another in that series, as the characters I worked into the first book are bugging me about writing other adventures of theirs already....

Steven
who is actually pretty excited about the new status of Waterdeep, as there are still tales-a-plenty to be told along the Street of the Singing Dolphin and others....

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't give up on the Realms, Asgetrion--I suspect you might like a few more of the "Ed Greenwood Presents" series, which could give you a lot to like about the Waterdeep of 1479DR. I know I'm hoping to write another in that series, as the characters I worked into the first book are bugging me about writing other adventures of theirs already....

Not to put words in Asgetrion's mouth, but I think he hasn't given up on the Realms, so much as given up on this new, 4E incarnation of it. Same with me, really, but I'm still gonna check out your novel, as well as what was done with Waterdeep.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  18:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any solid plans on hosting or joining an FR oriented event Master Schend? It might still be early but I though I'd ask.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2008 :  18:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Only if it can catch me.

Steven
who only runs when chased

The ghost of Borges doesn´t need to chase you. He knows you will inevitably be caught in one of his labyrinths.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  00:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Any solid plans on hosting or joining an FR oriented event Master Schend? It might still be early but I though I'd ask.

Um, at Gen Con? Unlikely, I'm afraid. Still, if you find me at the show, you're welcome to ask questions of me of an FR nature. And if you're lucky, I might even know the answer off the top of my head.

As for joining, it'd have to be entirely up to my schedule, as I'm committed to 16 hours or so of Writers' Symposium; if there's something interesting in the offing and it fits my schedule, I want to hear about it (without having to nagivate the GC website, which gives me headaches, for my eyes are aged and infirm ).

Seriously, what are folks planning, as I'd be happy to join ye Candlekeepers on the March...

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  01:03:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seriously, what are folks planning, as I'd be happy to join ye Candlekeepers on the March...

Steven

It's still being debated in the Gencon thread that is sticky'd on the general board but a handful of us are enjoying the idea about meeting up on Sat morning to coordinate things for Sat and maybe Sunday for the vendor sale. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Apr 2008 01:04:29
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  03:47:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Steven

It's still being debated in the Gencon thread that is sticky'd on the general board but a handful of us are enjoying the idea about meeting up on Sat morning to coordinate things for Sat and maybe Sunday for the vendor sale. :)

Well, I know I'm committed to about 16 hours of seminars and such, my busiest day being Thursday (keeping me on my toes until 10pm) but my Saturday and Sunday are a lot less so. If I could remember when my two signings are in Author's Alley, I'd tell ye just to keep from being bored, but I'm not sure right now. Details when I can find them.

Steven
who knows he owes Jeff Thetford a drink from last year, at the very least....

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  21:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a comfort that you will be attending some Writers' Symposium events. I think your work on elven/Blackstaff lore is amazing. You really put so many different flavors together when some would only think elves could only be this way or that. And don't get me started on Khelben. That dude needed more novel coverage. I dream of the day when I have a wizard that can draw a line in the dirt with silver fire and hold the line against a horde of yugoloths for a day. Of course it helps to have friends like Elminster when you do that kind of stuff. :) Wow, I guess I just started rambling there. Bottom line. Master Schend your Lore Knowledge and Writing are first rate!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  03:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

It is a comfort that you will be attending some Writers' Symposium events. I think your work on elven/Blackstaff lore is amazing. You really put so many different flavors together when some would only think elves could only be this way or that. And don't get me started on Khelben. That dude needed more novel coverage. I dream of the day when I have a wizard that can draw a line in the dirt with silver fire and hold the line against a horde of yugoloths for a day. Of course it helps to have friends like Elminster when you do that kind of stuff. :) Wow, I guess I just started rambling there. Bottom line. Master Schend your Lore Knowledge and Writing are first rate!

Thank you very much, Mage. Your words are appreciated very much.

Steven
who'd have way too much fun, were he ever allowed to write more about Khelben, irascible so-and-so that he was....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  21:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we were talking books of the Realms on one thread or `nother, I thought I'd give a tiny preview of some info to come in BLACKSTAFF TOWER. Bear in mind these books are NOT in the novel--they're window dressing and pieces of Realmslore that I believe are canon, but they can be circumscribed by any lore that comes from WotC (the official purveyors of said lore).

Khelben or Blackstaff Biographies After 1396

Khelben: Archmage of Lies by Rakram Gundwynd
This is merely a slander piece written by a bitter ex-student and published in 1396. The chapbook is one of the first books published after the revelation of Tsarra’s posing as the Blackstaff for the previous 20 years. It is a patchwork of guesses, rumors, and falsehoods cobbled together by someone with an axe to grind. Rakram Gundwynd was a middle-aged man by the time he dared publish this chapbook, but he had written it over the years, bitter that Khelben had mustered him out after only a year at Blackstaff Tower in 1366. The only blessing about this book is its shortness at 48 pages. Even so, there is only one truth printed in it and that’s the password leading up the stairs to Rakram’s former dormitory level (which was immediately changed by Tsarra when this hit the streets).

Two Mages’ Legacies by Malchor Harpell
For almost 80 years (released/published in 1398), this two-volume work has been the definitive and most-known bio on Khelben the Blackstaff by one of his most notable apprentices (held in equal esteem with Laeral, Savengriff, and Tsarra). It focuses most on Malchor’s experiences with Khelben, what he managed to personally piece together about the man’s life, and what he learned from him. It is held to be one of the greatest works in the Realms on how to train mages and how to earn their loyalty, no matter how much or how little you share.

Malchor’s musings and suppositions are as important as what nuggets of info he shares on Khelben. Their combined contributions to spell development and magical item creation make this equally sought as a tome to learn about enspelling items.

Keep Your Eyes Open Always: My Memories of the Blackstaff by Maliantor of Waterdeep
A paean to her former mentor and master of the Grey Hands (AKA Force Grey), Maliantor penned one of the better retrospectives of personal experiences with Khelben “the Blackstaff.” She wrote it with Tsarra’s blessing in 1384 when she personally uncovered Khelben's/Tsarra's secret, but Maliantor kept the book secret until her own death in 1412 DR. Her heirs published the book widely in 1416 when the manuscript was found among her voluminous papers. It is one of the few that fully realizes life in Blackstaff Tower as both student and agent/ally. It also provides a well-rounded view of Tsarra—one of the first, as most of her bios focus on her great deception and how she maintained it (and many false suppositions as to why).

Son of Arun, His Story in Four Volumes by Phaerl Hawksong
Written by Phaerl Hawksong over the decades and finished in 1397 shortly before she died, the books never get into wide circulation, but twelve copies are created by Phaerl’s daughters for libraries in Waterdeep (only Blackstaff Tower and Font of Knowledge), Silverymoon (Alustriel’s palace and the Vault of Sages), Candlekeep, Elminster, Rhymanthiin (N’Vaerymanth and the Librariumagi), one for the King’s Library in Tethyr, one for the Silver Safehold of the tel’Teukiira, and two copies to remain in Evereska (one for a library and one copy for the Hawksong family library, along with the original manuscripts, complete with Khelben's editorial comments in the margins).

This is considered the definitive biography on Khelben, though the very few people who have seen or had access to it know much of it already. This is where it is revealed that the author is his half-sister, much of the material is based on personal experience or from primary sources (mostly interviews with a number of elves, Laeral and other Chosen directly involved).

Volume 1 covers 414-714 DR (ends with Silversgate battle in Myth Drannor);

Volume 2 explores 714-1021 DR (ends with Seamar Ruthyl’s “death”);

Volume 3 looks at 1021-1321 DR (ends with Ducat Eattel’s “death” and assumption of grandson’s identity)

and Volume 4 covers 1321 to 1374 DR (his life as the Blackstaff).

The only true secrets this biography reveals are which identities are his and who his children were in each of those identities; however, it does not map out direct lineages, keeping some safe. It also does not detail his contacts or secrets among the Harpers or the Moonstars. What it does do is make conjectures and guesses as to why he did what he did (if possible) and what his thoughts / hopes were for things.

In the early 1420s, Krehlan Arunsun had this book copied/published in a far-truncated single-volume-edition by the Watchful Order. This "Blackstaff" edition compiles large parts from Volumes 3 and 4 and covers only the details of Khelben's lives and actions in Waterdeep and the North. Krehlan did the editing himself and had this published in order to restore people’s faith in the Blackstaff and to rebuild his father's reputation. Thus, this single volume edition became far more available in Waterdeep and all across the North. While the original book is an exceedingly rare tome, its abbreviated edition became at least as widely read as the Volo’s Guides were in their day.

Blackstaves: Their History
Opens with “Being the briefest of treatises and histories of those beings so blessed or cursed to have carried the Blackstaff, their doings and undoings, and what befell them and theirs.
by Sarathus, heir to ********, 1459 DR”

This manuscript lies unfinished in the Blackstaff's private library atop Blackstaff Tower, as Sarathus was slain in 1461. This murder led ******** into the trap that ended *** life as well a few years later, but not before *** empowered and trained another—Samark Dhanzcull—as *** heir. It is an attempt to compile the history of the Blackstaffs and their impact on Waterdeep across history. It is among the first books that truly writes down what all Khelben and the others did for the city, not just the conjectures and guesses and wild theories that came out starting in 1397, a year after Tsarra’s ruse was revealed.

Yes, this last note was edited/redacted to make sure I don't blow too many plot surprises in the novel to come. Don't ask me to reveal what's behind the asterisks--I'm not telling.

Steven

Edited by - Steven Schend on 27 Apr 2008 21:21:17
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, Steve, although reading that post is rather bittersweet for me (it reminds me of Khelben dying, and mentions the deaths of other characters I was only just starting to get to know).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  01:27:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff Steven! I'll copy these into the updated 'Candlekeep Book Listing,' along with those mentioned in Blackstaff. Once that's done, I'll send the updated listing to you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Great stuff Steven! I'll copy these into the updated 'Candlekeep Book Listing,' along with those mentioned in Blackstaff. Once that's done, I'll send the updated listing to you.

And I'll have a list of about 15-20 more titles for you from BT too....

SES

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:25:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neat. And thanks again.

I can't wait to start reading through this stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  14:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another note that popped up in my reading recently....

For all those who want more details on the cut-and-thrust of Amnian mercantile life et al, check out MEDICI MONEY by Tim Parks. If I'd read this 2005 book in 1998, it would have definitely been the foundation on which I'd have written many details on Amn, the Council of Six, etc. It gives the social context of the Medici bank and thus makes it a lot easier for DMs to slot in even more intrigues and ideas down Amnian ways....

GoodReads link

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  22:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Another note that popped up in my reading recently....

For all those who want more details on the cut-and-thrust of Amnian mercantile life et al, check out MEDICI MONEY by Tim Parks. If I'd read this 2005 book in 1998, it would have definitely been the foundation on which I'd have written many details on Amn, the Council of Six, etc. It gives the social context of the Medici bank and thus makes it a lot easier for DMs to slot in even more intrigues and ideas down Amnian ways....

GoodReads link

Steven

Hmm, I haven't had much time for this hobby over the last year, but I had always planned to come up with a dynamic investment system for players in the NWN2 PW set in Amn that I'm invovled with. I may take a look at that book, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2008 :  23:20:50  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

You--->Origins.

That is all =)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2008 :  16:31:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question that might seem stupid to some, but I haven't been home in three weeks so I have no way of checking through the GHotR or any other sources for that matter.

Was Tsarra the Blackstaff when the Spellplague struck?

I believe it was already hinted at somewhere (this thread?) that she wouldn't be in the new setting, so I was just wondering how far into the Spellplague years she still held that title?

If this is NDA, or you just don't want to give out any spoilers, very broad non-specific answers would work for me.

I'm working on a piece of non-canonical lore explaing the re-unification of the Moonstars with the Harpers (which was mentioned by Rich Baker), and since I don't expect WotC to get into the details, I've come up with some back-story of my own.

Since my homebrew lore revolves around Tsarra, I just need to know if she survived at least through the first decade or so (up until 1395 DR, or there-abouts).

Thank you for any answer you can give.

Cheers --- Mark T.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  14:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Steven,

You--->Origins.

That is all =)

Alas, I'm saving my shekels for Gen Con, as I don't have companies paying my way any more to attend. Very little chance you'll see me drive down to Columbus, I'm afraid.

Then again, never say never....

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2008 :  22:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Question that might seem stupid to some, but I haven't been home in three weeks so I have no way of checking through the GHotR or any other sources for that matter.

Was Tsarra the Blackstaff when the Spellplague struck?

Yes.

quote:
I believe it was already hinted at somewhere (this thread?) that she wouldn't be in the new setting, so I was just wondering how far into the Spellplague years she still held that title?

Going off of memory here, she went about another few decades or so after the Spellplague hit Waterdeep before she met her fate.

quote:
If this is NDA, or you just don't want to give out any spoilers, very broad non-specific answers would work for me.

I'm working on a piece of non-canonical lore explaing the re-unification of the Moonstars with the Harpers (which was mentioned by Rich Baker), and since I don't expect WotC to get into the details, I've come up with some back-story of my own.

Since my homebrew lore revolves around Tsarra, I just need to know if she survived at least through the first decade or so (up until 1395 DR, or there-abouts).

Thank you for any answer you can give.

Cheers --- Mark T.

Well, I've got to put some NDAs in the way of saying exactly what I'd mentioned re: the tel'Teukiira in Blackstaff Tower. I will admit that Tsarra lives past 1395 DR, as do many Moonstars. As for other information, I've got to wait until the novel comes out to 'fess up to more.

Steven
who's not above being plied for more details by beer at Gen Con

PS: Markustay and others, thanks very much for the kind words of support over at the Paizo boards. They're deeply appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2008 :  01:00:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-No problem Steven. Blackstaff was the best Realms novel I have ever read. PERIOD! I would like to see you work on some Pathfinder stuff in the near future! I have a theory that Frostrune will be in charge of Undermountain in the 4E Realms. Just from reading that book (Blackstaff) and the ending of it.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2008 :  22:19:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is we who should be thanking you. Your hard work and creativity is what brought the Realms alive for us (along with several others), and we wouldn't be enjoying this world our hobby is based in half so much without your contributions.

Thanks for the answers as well - that works for me.

BTW, I was just wondering where you hail from - the only other person who I know that used the word 'shekles' was my Dad, and he was born and raised in NYC.

*I would have responded sooner to this, but after NINE tries to post a response yesterday I finally gave up - this site is getting worse.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  21:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-No problem Steven. Blackstaff was the best Realms novel I have ever read. PERIOD! I would like to see you work on some Pathfinder stuff in the near future! I have a theory that Frostrune will be in charge of Undermountain in the 4E Realms. Just from reading that book (Blackstaff) and the ending of it.

BRIMSTONE

Thank you kindly; I'm very glad you enjoyed the book that much.

As for working on Pathfinder stuff, I'm toiling away on my own time tinkering with the priesthoods of Nethys for my own use in the playtest (playing a cleric of Nethys/sorcerer); the fact that we're so far from the seat of Nethys' worship (and the fact that we've got so little information with which to work save the Gazetteer which I don't have) helps me make some assumptions and changes to the faith for the local flavor/campaign. I'm enjoying this a lot, but I don't expect to ever use this work beyond our own campaign. Still, thanks for the vote of confidence, and we'll see how that goes.

And what a deliciously evil theory with regards to Priamon, Brimstone!

Steven
who'll forewarn folks to reread Blackstaff before diving into Blackstaff Tower, if only to refresh their memories of various and sundry esoteric bits of lore that have some crossovers in the new novel...

Edited by - Steven Schend on 08 Jun 2008 21:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2008 :  21:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is we who should be thanking you. Your hard work and creativity is what brought the Realms alive for us (along with several others), and we wouldn't be enjoying this world our hobby is based in half so much without your contributions.

Thanks for the answers as well - that works for me.

BTW, I was just wondering where you hail from - the only other person who I know that used the word 'shekles' was my Dad, and he was born and raised in NYC.

*I would have responded sooner to this, but after NINE tries to post a response yesterday I finally gave up - this site is getting worse.

Born and raised in Wisconsin by folk of German-English heritage. No real ethnic reason for using the term other than a love of alliteration; in person, I'm influenced enough by ILLUMINATI that I often refer to my pay stubs as "filthy lucre" as well.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  02:01:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

who'll forewarn folks to reread Blackstaff before diving into Blackstaff Tower, if only to refresh their memories of various and sundry esoteric bits of lore that have some crossovers in the new novel...
I had a feeling you'd say something like this. Not that I needed a reason to re-read Blackstaff, but are there any particular bits that you feel we should specifically concentrate on?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2008 :  02:50:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Yeah, I am thinking about making "Frostrune" MASTER OF UNDERMOUNTAIN, even if WotC doesn't!
- Just checked out Nethys. An ancient Osirian God-King that went mad, and now has a split personality. He wants to destroy and protect at the same time. Very Pheonix/Dark Pheonix to me! One church will follow his destoryer side, while another church will try to protcet. A very cool sounding True Neutral God of Magic if you ask me.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 09 Jun 2008 06:12:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page