Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  23:42:16  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Not so much right now; those sound similar and probably came from the pre-edit version of LOI. Given that I've no access to those maps right now, I'd only be guessing where they're at. I'll try and track down the info, but what exactly do you need to know? Locations? Details? GPS stats?

Only a vague idea of what they are could be interesting. In my current "spin-off epic" campaign, Saradush is Banite-controled (after it's destruction in BG novels) and has become a well guarded military base, so any location near is interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  02:56:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who can't remember if he mentioned Kyri gets a few short cameos in BLACKSTAFF...but guesses he's done so now if not before....

Yup, you did. You used that to publically trump me and claim the title of "Kyri's Biggest Fan".

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2006 :  04:17:14  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, since he can appear however he wishes thanks to Mystra's gifts, his hair is adaptable. I tend to see him as pictured on the novel cover--slightly longish/shoulder-length hair that never seems to get in his eyes. <shrug> Your mileage may vary, of course.

Thanks for the answer. Hmm, I like Khelben, so I guess any hairstyle could work...although I do have my preferences.

quote:
As for sexy scenes, that really depends on what one considers sexy, hm? If you're asking if there are seduction or love scenes, not so much, I'm afraid. If you're wanting to see the exact moment where Khelben....whoops. Almost whipped the Cloak of NDA away too soon! I can't give you details, but I think you'll be happy with some of the many secrets and scenes of Khelben's past that you get in the novel. At least I hope so...and I hope it leaves people wanting more...

Hmmm, that could be a double entrendre (another one!). If Khelben just takes his shirt off, I'd consider that sexy. Thanks, Steve! I can't wait to read your book...I eagerly await July 11.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  07:50:37  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any way Khelben could hurry up the book distribution for 'Blackstaff' Master Schend? Pretty please. Also, is there an official waiting list in Waterdeep for becoming Khelben's apprentice? I have a Gold elf mage that needs some schooling in the way of the art. Plus, what would it be like to study magic with Khelben? Is he all about restraint and thinking ahead to consequences like Belgarath in David Eddings Belgaraid books? Or is he kinda wildly daring and impatient towards magic thus giving his students a hard time? In 'The Cloak of Shadows" book Khelben's tower got a little description but I daresay I am curious still. Any info you would like to provide I would love to hear. Thanks for your time Sir Schend!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read Silverfall but the excerpt from The Glass Prison gives a brief glimpse of what the apprentice corp is like in Blackstaff Tower.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  01:01:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage
Plus, what would it be like to study magic with Khelben? Is he all about restraint and thinking ahead to consequences like Belgarath in David Eddings Belgaraid books? Or is he kinda wildly daring and impatient towards magic thus giving his students a hard time?

I'm not Steve, but I'd say the former. That doesn't mean he wouldn't give his students a hard time, though...

Also, you see glimpses of Blackstaff tower (and what it might be like to live there) in City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  03:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the RotA series I gathered that Khelben really liked his privacy but rarely got it. Which leads me to think that he either doesn't spend that much time in Waterdeep or he really hooked up his tower with some hard core wards that keep out noise, riff raff, and other unpleasant city related bothers. I know there are wards to muffle the noise from experiments he does in his tower. I am very curious about the courtship between Khelben and Laeral. From the timeline of Khelben's life that Wooly provided me with I gathered that Khelben actually left the citadel of the nine for a time to do something and then came back for Laeral to save her from the vicious Crown she wore. What a romance! Steve, you got style with that bit of work. Even my non-DnD playing wife can appreciate that kind of stuff.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

atlas689
Learned Scribe

123 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  04:06:37  Show Profile  Visit atlas689's Homepage Send atlas689 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well maybe after your done with your Moonstars reunion book which i think would be very interesting indeed, maybe... Netheril: A Novel. Not anything to do with the Netheril Trilogy but rather beggining to the Avatar Spell. Nothing like it has been done and I would love to see one of my two favorite authors of the Realms (yes I know I only read the prologue but "I like your style... I like your moves"...ay anybody see Starsky and Hutch...maybe not) you or Ed write such a book. Ah but what the hell, who am I, I'm just a schmuck and well your well your... Steven Schend Author of Blackstaff. Anyhow just puting down my thoughts, Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet!
-Atlas

Soldiers fight, thieves steal, bards sing, wizards cast, sages think, assassins kill. Good or Evil we all have a job. So tell me this. What the hell are nobles and merchants for?

by: An Old Sage (anonymous)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  03:54:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

From the RotA series I gathered that Khelben really liked his privacy but rarely got it. Which leads me to think that he either doesn't spend that much time in Waterdeep or he really hooked up his tower with some hard core wards that keep out noise, riff raff, and other unpleasant city related bothers. I know there are wards to muffle the noise from experiments he does in his tower. I am very curious about the courtship between Khelben and Laeral. From the timeline of Khelben's life that Wooly provided me with I gathered that Khelben actually left the citadel of the nine for a time to do something and then came back for Laeral to save her from the vicious Crown she wore. What a romance! Steve, you got style with that bit of work. Even my non-DnD playing wife can appreciate that kind of stuff.

From what you've said here, you AND your wife are going to like the book, indeed. There's quite a few grace notes regarding Laeral, the Crown, and various and sundry other issues between her and her soulmate.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  04:51:31  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed's Netheril was nothing like the Netheril published by TSR... I don't know how he'd feel about writing a a book about Karsus.

I can't even begin to ponder Mr. Schend's own position. :)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  10:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure Steve would be able to whip something up but his true mastery is all things Elven and Sword Coast....ish. Then again from what I have seen Steve could depict Netheril (and probably sneak in some of the stuff Ed wanted all along).

P.S.-Nice signature Dan. I am a fan of self made DnD quotes.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. :)

And, if I remember correctly, it's not things about Netheril that Ed wanted to mention, but never were - the entire concept of what Netheril was supposed to be was sort of mutilated. Eric Boyd has done somewhat to redeem it, though!

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 07 Jul 2006 12:18:19
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Schend your book rocks! Really this is even better than I had anticipated. You do not disappoint!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:28:43  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find it! *Sobs*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  22:48:13  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for the Scribe named Schend! Why have you taken so long to start writing novels!? I am working 12 hours shifts at work and spending time with my family and in between I am reading Blackstaff as I eat my breakfast and shave. I read for 5 minutes in the parking lot at work. I read for and hour before I go to bed and I am rereading whole chapters to enjoy the detailed story that lies in the pages of your work of art! Mostly I am this crazy excited because I feel as if I started to know the character that is Khelben during march this year. With the help of those here at Candlekeep I was even better informed. And then you write a book that puts together so many things about the man that is Khelben. You have my thanks Sir!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  05:29:58  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I humbly ask for everyone's forgiveness as this will be the third time I've said this....but a deep heart-felt thank you to you Mr. Schend. I thoroughly enjoyed your novel and had a hard time putting it down, which made it difficult trying to run a garage sale in 100 degree heat. More importantly I echo all those who wish and hope that we will soon get more novels from the author that gave us Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  14:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I second that. For like the third time.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2006 :  18:07:59  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too!

I haven't even read that far yet (darn time), but I am very much enjoying it.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:33:13  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

I humbly ask for everyone's forgiveness as this will be the third time I've said this....but a deep heart-felt thank you to you Mr. Schend. I thoroughly enjoyed your novel and had a hard time putting it down, which made it difficult trying to run a garage sale in 100 degree heat. More importantly I echo all those who wish and hope that we will soon get more novels from the author that gave us Blackstaff.

Hope you were not trying to finish it BEFORE the end of your garage sale so you could SELL it!! well, were you, PUNK?!?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:40:32  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind comments, folks.

I've been on the road since Monday last and only shambled home late tonight. Will delve into the book discussions tomorrow, but wanted to send up a flare that I'm back, I'm alive, and only slightly frumpled around the edges. Will report back after I unload the moving van, go to my first yoga class, and have a few beers. Not necessarily in that order, mind you....

SES

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  04:47:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beer before yoga man . . . beer before yoga . . .
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  05:02:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Mr Schend neglects to inform you is that he's just brought back all his 'stuff' from the West Coast. Which means he is now sitting on a trove of realmslore, notes and information. Well, spill!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  05:04:44  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Give us things, Steve!

Many things!

Or I may stir up the rabble upon ye!

:)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2006 :  05:42:22  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been on the road since Monday last and only shambled home late tonight. Will delve into the book discussions tomorrow, but wanted to send up a flare that I'm back, I'm alive, and only slightly frumpled around the edges. Will report back after I unload the moving van, go to my first yoga class, and have a few beers. Not necessarily in that order, mind you....

SES

'Frumpled' around the 'edges?'
Sir, I have only been 'frumpled' once in my life, and it involved a New Zealand nurse who did not want to keep many things a secret.
And no, I've never been in New Zealand: it's just that them gals travel a whole lot you know... [ahem, I was in England, for those who keep scores]
Ah-hummm.... b a c k t o R e a l m s l o r e , p l e a s e ! [as I sit alone in my hotel room, very lonely and perhaps denied of my daily conjugal frumpling]
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  11:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

What Mr Schend neglects to inform you is that he's just brought back all his 'stuff' from the West Coast. Which means he is now sitting on a trove of realmslore, notes and information. Well, spill!

-- George Krashos

No, George. It's more like I'm surrounded on all sides in 3 rooms by boxes upon boxes of old out of print games, books, and comics that all need to be sorted and cataloged AS THEY COME OUT OF THE BOXES (as I'll never do it once they're on the shelves already) and put on the shelves (which coincidentally need assmebling as well).

Trove of Realmslore, perhaps, but it needs unearthing. Perhaps I'll be done with this by GenCon....

Steven
Who must admit it's a lot like Yule with each box revealing things he's not seen in at least 3 years and thought he'd long lost

Edited by - Steven Schend on 20 Jul 2006 11:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  11:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Give us things, Steve!

Many things!

Or I may stir up the rabble upon ye!

:)

I prefer my rabble shaken, not stirred, sirrah.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2006 :  11:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

SES

'Frumpled' around the 'edges?'
Sir, I have only been 'frumpled' once in my life, and it involved a New Zealand nurse who did not want to keep many things a secret.
And no, I've never been in New Zealand: it's just that them gals travel a whole lot you know... [ahem, I was in England, for those who keep scores]
Ah-hummm.... b a c k t o R e a l m s l o r e , p l e a s e ! [as I sit alone in my hotel room, very lonely and perhaps denied of my daily conjugal frumpling]

Methinks we define frumpled differently....but yours sounds more fun than mine.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  02:17:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Schend, I want to let you know that as soon as I am finished with Blackstaff (Which is great so far), I'll be asking you about the meanings of all those Elven words. So, get those notes ready, I guess...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  12:30:50  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Candlekeep has an elven dictionary in the traveler's lore/unofficial lore section. I have been copying it into my journal for later use, but I noticed many familiar words, even after reading Blackstaff. That might help. Cinna ebrath!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2006 :  12:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven! Since you're now back, why aren't you joining in with the great lovefest that is the Blackstaff Book Club thread? I get warm and fuzzy feelings every time I browse through it.

So nice to be able to unequivocably love a Realms novel again.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000