Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 65

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  03:17:59  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Franklin was considered a mutant though... as I recall per the Onslaught: Marvel Universe saga. Which is why he made such a perfect melding for the Xavier/Magneto psionically merged entity.

You could be right about Mystra putting in place a sort of "unofficial" ban on Chosen having offspring, or rather, they are closely monitored by her after the birth to watch for any peculiar abilities that might spring up and perhaps potentially threaten the Weave.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  22:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Okay, Steven, you asked me to remind you about these outstanding questions in 2006:

1) Do you have any idea *which* Shoonite nobles Shoon might impersonate to fulfill his aims? (Must get the wonderful Shoon thinking rounds going again)

2) Do you recall who the baron(ess) of Carrelath Barony in Erlkazar was in your game? It isn't in your notes in LoI.

Still haven't had time to scare up or create names for Shoonite nobles, alas. Perhaps toward the end of the month....

As for the baroness....the only one I could find/remember was:

Hints & History: The Baroness Tanistan is High Watcher
Laxaella Bronshield (LG hef P8#151;Helm), who still mourns the
loss of her elven husband Rysodyl Boughstrong at the hands of
the Goblin King Ertyk Uhl. She buries herself in her duties,
protecting the south and maintaining the garrisons.

There is some overlap/intended confusion in that the Tanistan lands were once part of the county of Correlath:

Praskallest is the surviving manor house and estate of the
former Count of Correlath. Now it is a staging area and primary
garrison for the southern armies, and also the official
keep of the baroness. It is located west of Five Spears Hold, between
the hold and Mount Noblesse in Tethyr.
#149;
As for the unknown/unstated baron/baroness of Carrelath: It's a dwarf, as always. "#149; Since the days of Shanatar, this area has been ruled by a shield dwarf warrior or priest, regardless of its overlord."

So if, for some reason, you want the leader to definitely be a woman, she's a dwarf. Perhaps she's even been blessed with thunder twins and sorcerers at that, as they might by now be ready to help defend those territories.

If I've bungled up some reference, it's my bad, but this is all the info I can scrapple up for now.

Take care, Arivia et al.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2869 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  23:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Still haven't had time to scare up or create names for Shoonite nobles, alas. Perhaps toward the end of the month....

As for the baroness....the only one I could find/remember was:

Hints & History: The Baroness Tanistan is High Watcher
Laxaella Bronshield (LG hef P8#151;Helm), who still mourns the
loss of her elven husband Rysodyl Boughstrong at the hands of
the Goblin King Ertyk Uhl. She buries herself in her duties,
protecting the south and maintaining the garrisons.

There is some overlap/intended confusion in that the Tanistan lands were once part of the county of Correlath:

Praskallest is the surviving manor house and estate of the
former Count of Correlath. Now it is a staging area and primary
garrison for the southern armies, and also the official
keep of the baroness. It is located west of Five Spears Hold, between
the hold and Mount Noblesse in Tethyr.
#149;
As for the unknown/unstated baron/baroness of Carrelath: It's a dwarf, as always. "#149; Since the days of Shanatar, this area has been ruled by a shield dwarf warrior or priest, regardless of its overlord."

So if, for some reason, you want the leader to definitely be a woman, she's a dwarf. Perhaps she's even been blessed with thunder twins and sorcerers at that, as they might by now be ready to help defend those territories.

If I've bungled up some reference, it's my bad, but this is all the info I can scrapple up for now.

Take care, Arivia et al.

Okay-great. Thanks on my behalf, and on the behalf of my players.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  01:25:58  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Re children of the Chosen, note that a child from Khelben and Laeral is a child of TWO Chosen, not one and another human/oid. That's pretty unique and kind of special in my book - interesting times if that ever happened.
Good point Krash... I wonder whether that in itself would warrant the development of anything in particular regarding Chosen abilities in the offspring due to their being the product of two Chosen.

Hmmm... Steven's a Marvel Universe fan . I'm thinking maybe this would be similar to what occurs when two superheroes with strange abilities or mutants perhaps, in the Marvel Universe mate and produce a significantly more powerful child with greater abilities... Franklin Richards anyone?

Any comments Sage Schend?

A little prodding...

Go to Top of Page

Rowan
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  03:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Rowan's Homepage  Send Rowan an AOL message  Click to see Rowan's MSN Messenger address  Send Rowan a Yahoo! Message Send Rowan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You could be right about Mystra putting in place a sort of "unofficial" ban on Chosen having offspring, or rather, they are closely monitored by her after the birth to watch for any peculiar abilities that might spring up and perhaps potentially threaten the Weave.

Well, I don't think there IS a ban...after all, Alustriel has many children and Dove has a son of her own.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  05:31:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

quote:

Well, I don't think there IS a ban...after all, Alustriel has many children and Dove has a son of her own.

Ed has said that Mystra's Chosen only have kids if Mystra wills it; unfortunately, I don't have that quote handy. I do have this quote, though, which backs up that there is a ban:

quote:
The original Mystra seemed to encourage Alustriel to have children (why? Hoho! SO many mysteries, waved before you!), because she conceived every nine months and a day or two, giving Faerun a succession of healthy males in a series of easy births (and being little constricted or uncomfortable while pregnant, because rather than acquiring a ballooning belly, the High Lady always put on weight all over, and retained her poise, balance, and activities). Yes, she’s given birth to females, and no, I’m not going to say ANYTHING more about that for future schemes reasons. :} The new Mystra may have other ideas, because (as far as Elminster knows -- and he doesn’t hesitate to ask her, straight out) Alustriel isn’t pregnant right now, and shows no signs of becoming so.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  07:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Khelben and Laeral and buns in the oven....

No comment.

On Khelben's reaction--a wide tidal wave of emotions unspoken and unhinted even to the person standing next to him--his thoughts and emotions are his own and not shared willingly. As for the safety of his child, can you think of many safer places than Blackstaff Tower?

On Khelben's thought re: Fzoul betraying their agreement--"Unlike your Lord Neville Chamberlain, I have multitudinous ways to wreak my displeasure upon Lord Chembryl, should he renege on his word. Nor am I so squeamish as to stay my hand if such should happen."

On Steven's thoughts---tiredsleepymustrestgobed

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  08:17:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No comment.
Hmmm... Do I smell something cooking .

No comment as in NDA, or just, no... no comment?

Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Seeker

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  11:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is one I just came up with out of curiosity.

Can we expect Khelben becoming aware of The Twisted Rune's role in Zelphars death any time soon?

It's good to be king
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  16:32:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rowan

quote:

Ed's comments that Wooly quoted above about female Chosen having offspring was what I was actually thinking about in terms of the supposed "unofficial ban" on two Chosen of Mystra having children together.

In other words... Mystra, either first or second, doesn't directly say "no births", but neither have they greatly encouraged it -- Mystra I's example with Alustriel notwithstanding, as well as other episodes of Chosen having children.

Perhaps Mystra II would allow a birth from two Chosen, for some "specific" reason that is unfathomable for mortals -- but not other Chosen. I'm thinking here of how Ed says -

quote:
The new Mystra may have other ideas, because (as far as Elminster knows -- and he doesn’t hesitate to ask her, straight out) Alustriel isn’t pregnant right now, and shows no signs of becoming so".
If we could extend that to two Chosen... it may indicate that Mystra is open to the possibility should it be required.

This is all assumption of course, since Ed isn't actually talking about two Chosen, but we can at least accurately assume that any decision regarding two Chosen having a child together would be built upon Mystra's beliefs regarding regular breeding.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  16:56:48  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the quote Wooly is talking about. I know about it because I was the one who started the topic that this got said in, back on the mailing list in Oct 2003.

"We know that Chosen of Msytra can't conceive or bear
children except by will of the goddess. We also know
that ONLY Mystra is going to judge them, after so many
centuries of life (their peers, contemporaries, et al
died long ago, and only we readers and gamers looking
at the Realms even know of their heritage and first
relationship to each other at all). As the centuries
pass for both of them, it's less and less valid to
view Elminster as somehow "taking advantage of" or
"violating" Storm, if they did make love. I've written
before that none of the Chosen remain 'sane,' as we
consider people sane."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  02:12:36  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I must have mashed Ed's own words into my own thoughts about this... .

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have finally started reading Sea of Fallen Stars (totally boss, dude!), and I have a question about the Dukar path which enables one to take on the forms of other creatures: could someone assume the guise of an aboleth and, by consuming a real aboleth, obtain the collective memory which they can share, or is that considered a "special ability" which the path, per definitio does not confer?

(Please to forgive any spelling errors above, I don't have the book with me at the moment.)

I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a copy of SOFS on hand at present. If the path allows shapeshifters the full abilities and powers of the form they adopt, it's possible that this could occur. However, as a GM, I'd posit that you only gain the collective memory for a limited time (DC 30 save/check to retain 100%, lose 10% for each number off from this check; max retention in days equal to your Wis or Con, whichever is lower) and absolutely lose all that knowledge once you drop the aboleth shape.

That answer the question?

And thanks, by the by, for picking up Sea of Fallen Stars, my one design contribution for the Realms that was 85% new design, not just reweaving older content and making it consistent. Glad you're enjoying it.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

No comment.
Hmmm... Do I smell something cooking .

No comment as in NDA, or just, no... no comment?

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vvornth

This is one I just came up with out of curiosity.

Can we expect Khelben becoming aware of The Twisted Rune's role in Zelphars death any time soon?

Nope.

Just as Khelben's close to the vest with many a secret, the Twisted Rune members (aside from Kartak and Priamon, "the younglings among us") have never been those who crow about their achievments. It tends to run counter to their main focus--being so secretive and behind the scenes so as to be left alone to their researches and works.

Khelben has spent some time looking into it and is satisfied that those among the Shadow Thieves behind Zelphar's death had justice meted out to them.

Of course, it might be in Mystra's interests to keep Khelben from finding out the final truth re: the Rune's link to Z's death. After all, if he DID know they were involved, his focus would be pulled away from other works she needs him to do more and he'd be spending more time down south kicking bones and taking names. Lastly, Mystra's playing a longer game than Khelben plays and she seems to have a use for the Rune in some ways. What those are are open to speculation.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  16:51:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And thanks, by the by, for picking up Sea of Fallen Stars, my one design contribution for the Realms that was 85% new design, not just reweaving older content and making it consistent. Glad you're enjoying it.

I just picked up the pdf of this, myself. I wanted to have it handy, since I do often find myself flipping thru the book. $4 from Paizo.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have finally started reading Sea of Fallen Stars (totally boss, dude!), and I have a question about the Dukar path which enables one to take on the forms of other creatures:
(snip)

I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a copy of SOFS on hand at present. If the path allows shapeshifters the full abilities and powers of the form they adopt, it's possible that this could occur. However, as a GM, I'd posit that you only gain the collective memory for a limited time (DC 30 save/check to retain 100%, lose 10% for each number off from this check; max retention in days equal to your Wis or Con, whichever is lower) and absolutely lose all that knowledge once you drop the aboleth shape.

That answer the question?

It is worth every penny, Steven! I was told a few years ago that I would enjoy it ("very Cthulhoid"), and I have.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Seeker

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  08:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, it might be in Mystra's interests to keep Khelben from finding out the final truth re: the Rune's link to Z's death. After all, if he DID know they were involved, his focus would be pulled away from other works she needs him to do more and he'd be spending more time down south kicking bones and taking names. Lastly, Mystra's playing a longer game than Khelben plays and she seems to have a use for the Rune in some ways. What those are are open to speculation.

Thanks for the reply, even though the answer spawned more questions, the kind that I doubt will be answered. ;)

It's good to be king
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  13:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vvornth

quote:

Thanks for the reply, even though the answer spawned more questions, the kind that I doubt will be answered. ;)

You're always free to ask questions; it's just a toss-up as to whether we (due to NDAs and other agreements with WotC) are free to answer them.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  13:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have ways of getting around NDAs... Its called the RACK!!!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  14:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most respected Sage Schend,

I seem to recall that not all of the Fey'ri (members of house Floshin?) were imprisoned by the sun elves... I remember that some of them actually were hiding, keeping a low profile, for all these years, occasionally breeding with elves and thus slowly increasing their numbers. Is my memory finally failing this old scribe?

How long would a fey'ri (naturally) live? I would guess that a lot longer than an "ordinary" elf, because of their demonic heritage. How about a half-fiend/half-elf, such as Countess Sarya?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  17:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're always free to ask questions; it's just a toss-up as to whether we (due to NDAs and other agreements with WotC) are free to answer them.

SES

It's also a toss-up as to whether or not a clear, straight-forward answer will be given!

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  17:53:51  Show Profile  Click to see Foxhelm's MSN Messenger address  Send Foxhelm a Yahoo! Message Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to RAce of Faerun, Asgetrion:

Fey'ri have the life expectancy and aging catergories of Sun Elves.
Which would be Middle age (210), Old(315), Venerable (420) and a maximum age of (426 to 1,020). Does that help?

The Template should not change the aging notes, so it should be the same as above with Sarya.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 16 Jan 2006 17:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  18:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foxhelm's answer is a good one, at least from an official standpoint, Astegrion.

As their original intent was to strengthen their power and bloodlines, I'd have gone the opposite way with them and allowed the Dlardrageths (at least the three cambions I put in Hellgate Keep) a lifespan more than twice the gold elf standard, due to the immortal nature of most fiends. Now, granted, the fey'ri are lesser than direct descendants of extraplanar parents, so the above works. Even so, aside from some resistances and wings (to which I'm bothered by EVERYONE having them), seems the demon/elf tradeoff wasn't as good as they'd hoped.

All that said, I'd direct you to ask more of Eric Boyd or Rich Baker, as they're more the fey'ri expert than I am. All I can do (as I did above) was give you comments on what I'd intended/planned when I started. As it was, someone took the ball and ran in different ways with it than I would have. <shrug>

'tis all good. I just wonder why some holy/clerical groups of elves haven't specifically made it their charge to rid the world of the fey'ri--including turning abilities that affect the half-breeds.

Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Seeker

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  23:49:58  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage  Send TonyMontana1638 an AOL message Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Reluctantly steps into the presence of those much wiser than he*

About the whole "Chosen having children" thing, Elminster makes a comment about it in Elminster's Daughter while questioning Narnra on pages 68 and 69. The first person speaking is El, the second Narnra. I quote:

"Wizards are targets all their lives lass- and all too vulnerable, most of the time. Bearing a child is no light thing to one who works magic, and becoming with child unintended can be deadly- not just to the babe and its mother. Magic can twist the unborn into monsters."
"Wherefore?"
"Wherefore most mages use magic to prevent what isn't wanted or known when 'tis safe to not take such trouble."
"Were you both mages?"
"Maerjanthra was. Stronger bonds are laid on me."
"'Stronger bonds'? 'What stronger bonds'?"
"Mystra, the goddess I serve, decides when her Chosen shall-"
Narnra's head swam.

At this point a key plot point in the book is revealed (though it should be self-evident really) but I don't want to spoil too much. It seems Mystra, according to El at least, chooses when her Chosen are to impregnate and give birth. Hope it helps.

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 65 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000