Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2006 :  16:56:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the quote Wooly is talking about. I know about it because I was the one who started the topic that this got said in, back on the mailing list in Oct 2003.

"We know that Chosen of Msytra can't conceive or bear
children except by will of the goddess. We also know
that ONLY Mystra is going to judge them, after so many
centuries of life (their peers, contemporaries, et al
died long ago, and only we readers and gamers looking
at the Realms even know of their heritage and first
relationship to each other at all). As the centuries
pass for both of them, it's less and less valid to
view Elminster as somehow "taking advantage of" or
"violating" Storm, if they did make love. I've written
before that none of the Chosen remain 'sane,' as we
consider people sane."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  02:12:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what I was thinking of. I must have mashed Ed's own words into my own thoughts about this... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:02:46  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I have finally started reading Sea of Fallen Stars (totally boss, dude!), and I have a question about the Dukar path which enables one to take on the forms of other creatures: could someone assume the guise of an aboleth and, by consuming a real aboleth, obtain the collective memory which they can share, or is that considered a "special ability" which the path, per definitio does not confer?

(Please to forgive any spelling errors above, I don't have the book with me at the moment.)

I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a copy of SOFS on hand at present. If the path allows shapeshifters the full abilities and powers of the form they adopt, it's possible that this could occur. However, as a GM, I'd posit that you only gain the collective memory for a limited time (DC 30 save/check to retain 100%, lose 10% for each number off from this check; max retention in days equal to your Wis or Con, whichever is lower) and absolutely lose all that knowledge once you drop the aboleth shape.

That answer the question?

And thanks, by the by, for picking up Sea of Fallen Stars, my one design contribution for the Realms that was 85% new design, not just reweaving older content and making it consistent. Glad you're enjoying it.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:08:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Re: Khelben and Laeral and buns in the oven....

No comment.
Hmmm... Do I smell something cooking .

No comment as in NDA, or just, no... no comment?

Yes.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  15:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vvornth

This is one I just came up with out of curiosity.

Can we expect Khelben becoming aware of The Twisted Rune's role in Zelphars death any time soon?

Nope.

Just as Khelben's close to the vest with many a secret, the Twisted Rune members (aside from Kartak and Priamon, "the younglings among us") have never been those who crow about their achievments. It tends to run counter to their main focus--being so secretive and behind the scenes so as to be left alone to their researches and works.

Khelben has spent some time looking into it and is satisfied that those among the Shadow Thieves behind Zelphar's death had justice meted out to them.

Of course, it might be in Mystra's interests to keep Khelben from finding out the final truth re: the Rune's link to Z's death. After all, if he DID know they were involved, his focus would be pulled away from other works she needs him to do more and he'd be spending more time down south kicking bones and taking names. Lastly, Mystra's playing a longer game than Khelben plays and she seems to have a use for the Rune in some ways. What those are are open to speculation.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  16:51:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And thanks, by the by, for picking up Sea of Fallen Stars, my one design contribution for the Realms that was 85% new design, not just reweaving older content and making it consistent. Glad you're enjoying it.

I just picked up the pdf of this, myself. I wanted to have it handy, since I do often find myself flipping thru the book. $4 from Paizo.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  01:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have finally started reading Sea of Fallen Stars (totally boss, dude!), and I have a question about the Dukar path which enables one to take on the forms of other creatures:
(snip)

I'm going to have to guess here, as I don't have a copy of SOFS on hand at present. If the path allows shapeshifters the full abilities and powers of the form they adopt, it's possible that this could occur. However, as a GM, I'd posit that you only gain the collective memory for a limited time (DC 30 save/check to retain 100%, lose 10% for each number off from this check; max retention in days equal to your Wis or Con, whichever is lower) and absolutely lose all that knowledge once you drop the aboleth shape.

It is worth every penny, Steven! I was told a few years ago that I would enjoy it ("very Cthulhoid"), and I have.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Acolyte

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  08:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course, it might be in Mystra's interests to keep Khelben from finding out the final truth re: the Rune's link to Z's death. After all, if he DID know they were involved, his focus would be pulled away from other works she needs him to do more and he'd be spending more time down south kicking bones and taking names. Lastly, Mystra's playing a longer game than Khelben plays and she seems to have a use for the Rune in some ways. What those are are open to speculation.

Thanks for the reply, even though the answer spawned more questions, the kind that I doubt will be answered. ;)

It's good to be king
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  13:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thanks for the reply, even though the answer spawned more questions, the kind that I doubt will be answered. ;)

You're always free to ask questions; it's just a toss-up as to whether we (due to NDAs and other agreements with WotC) are free to answer them.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  13:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have ways of getting around NDAs... Its called the RACK!!!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  14:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most respected Sage Schend,

I seem to recall that not all of the Fey'ri (members of house Floshin?) were imprisoned by the sun elves... I remember that some of them actually were hiding, keeping a low profile, for all these years, occasionally breeding with elves and thus slowly increasing their numbers. Is my memory finally failing this old scribe?

How long would a fey'ri (naturally) live? I would guess that a lot longer than an "ordinary" elf, because of their demonic heritage. How about a half-fiend/half-elf, such as Countess Sarya?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  17:17:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're always free to ask questions; it's just a toss-up as to whether we (due to NDAs and other agreements with WotC) are free to answer them.

SES

It's also a toss-up as to whether or not a clear, straight-forward answer will be given!

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  17:53:51  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to RAce of Faerun, Asgetrion:

Fey'ri have the life expectancy and aging catergories of Sun Elves.
Which would be Middle age (210), Old(315), Venerable (420) and a maximum age of (426 to 1,020). Does that help?

The Template should not change the aging notes, so it should be the same as above with Sarya.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!

Edited by - Foxhelm on 16 Jan 2006 17:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  18:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Foxhelm's answer is a good one, at least from an official standpoint, Astegrion.

As their original intent was to strengthen their power and bloodlines, I'd have gone the opposite way with them and allowed the Dlardrageths (at least the three cambions I put in Hellgate Keep) a lifespan more than twice the gold elf standard, due to the immortal nature of most fiends. Now, granted, the fey'ri are lesser than direct descendants of extraplanar parents, so the above works. Even so, aside from some resistances and wings (to which I'm bothered by EVERYONE having them), seems the demon/elf tradeoff wasn't as good as they'd hoped.

All that said, I'd direct you to ask more of Eric Boyd or Rich Baker, as they're more the fey'ri expert than I am. All I can do (as I did above) was give you comments on what I'd intended/planned when I started. As it was, someone took the ball and ran in different ways with it than I would have. <shrug>

'tis all good. I just wonder why some holy/clerical groups of elves haven't specifically made it their charge to rid the world of the fey'ri--including turning abilities that affect the half-breeds.

Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2006 :  23:49:58  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Reluctantly steps into the presence of those much wiser than he*

About the whole "Chosen having children" thing, Elminster makes a comment about it in Elminster's Daughter while questioning Narnra on pages 68 and 69. The first person speaking is El, the second Narnra. I quote:

"Wizards are targets all their lives lass- and all too vulnerable, most of the time. Bearing a child is no light thing to one who works magic, and becoming with child unintended can be deadly- not just to the babe and its mother. Magic can twist the unborn into monsters."
"Wherefore?"
"Wherefore most mages use magic to prevent what isn't wanted or known when 'tis safe to not take such trouble."
"Were you both mages?"
"Maerjanthra was. Stronger bonds are laid on me."
"'Stronger bonds'? 'What stronger bonds'?"
"Mystra, the goddess I serve, decides when her Chosen shall-"
Narnra's head swam.

At this point a key plot point in the book is revealed (though it should be self-evident really) but I don't want to spoil too much. It seems Mystra, according to El at least, chooses when her Chosen are to impregnate and give birth. Hope it helps.

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  00:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thanks, Sage Schend and Foxhelm

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  16:19:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It would be....interesting, though, if Khelben found out about the whole thing. As far as I remember Khelben has always been calm and collected when I`ve read about him. It would be a new experience to see him go completely banana.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  18:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Khelben's thought re: Fzoul betraying their agreement--"Unlike your Lord Neville Chamberlain, I have multitudinous ways to wreak my displeasure upon Lord Chembryl, should he renege on his word. Nor am I so squeamish as to stay my hand if such should happen."

It may have been previously discussed, in which case sorry, but is their any chance you can further develop the intricacies of this arrangement? The timeframe, though I may be mistaken, was around 50 years, which puts a huge chronological hold on Fzoul and Khelben.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  22:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, another question for Steven about Amn. Which will begin with an observation:

I can understand the rationale for arcane magic having become so feared and reviled in Amn, due to a history of evil wizards behaving without constraint, unleashing all manner of monster and plague and so forth in the course of their scheming and powergrabbing. And since Amn relies almost entirely on an oral history, i.e., of parents and grandparents telling their children and grandchildren about the world, it is easy to understand how the neagtive stereotypes of wizards get strongly reinforced. And remain unchallenged.

But how do Amnians then rationalize the use of divine magic?

Is it because it is understood that there is ultimately a deity placing a check on the powers granted to the priest? Whereas in contrast, what is arguably the greatest weakness and shortcoming within mortals--the lust for power and domination--remains unchecked within wizards?

The gods of Faerun may be carpicious, but they are gods after all, and I would think some considerable wisdom on a deity's part may be assumed simply from being immortal and divine.

Amn has little by way of scholars and sages to teach about such things, but would this more or less be the common man's thinking?

Or is it because it is felt that the favor of the gods is necessary for gaining wealth, and best not to let anything possibly interfere with the acquisition of wealth? I.e., the thought would be: "yes, it's magic but let priests do as they will, we want their gods to favor us!"

Anyway, just curious about the dichotomy in Amn over social attitudes about the use of the two kinds of magic, i.e., arcane and divine.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  04:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Is it because it is understood that there is ultimately a deity placing a check on the powers granted to the priest? Whereas in contrast, what is arguably the greatest weakness and shortcoming within mortals--the lust for power and domination--remains unchecked within wizards?

The gods of Faerun may be carpicious, but they are gods after all, and I would think some considerable wisdom on a deity's part may be assumed simply from being immortal and divine.

Amn has little by way of scholars and sages to teach about such things, but would this more or less be the common man's thinking?

Or is it because it is felt that the favor of the gods is necessary for gaining wealth, and best not to let anything possibly interfere with the acquisition of wealth? I.e., the thought would be: "yes, it's magic but let priests do as they will, we want their gods to favor us!"

Anyway, just curious about the dichotomy in Amn over social attitudes about the use of the two kinds of magic, i.e., arcane and divine.

I think that your "Average Joe" doesn't see clerical/priestly spells as 'Magic' - he might see them perhaps a bit more like 'Miracles'? The Third Edition has take a lot of mystery out of Gods and Magic... *sigh*

In the good ol' days of AD&D we used to describe priestly powers/spells in my gaming group as "answered prayers" - priests prayed for their spells in the morning, and, although they received them, they had to pray for "confirmation" as they cast them. Thus, every cleric or priest believed that although Mask had granted that Flame Strike at dawn, you still had to pray to him and ask for that "spell" again when you smote your foes with it ;) You never know about the Gods, hey?

My point here is that maybe an average commoner in the Realms sees 'Magic' and 'Spells' as the stuff for those high-and-mighty wizards? In the end, Divine Magic is just another game term for 'Clerical spells'?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  18:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

It would be....interesting, though, if Khelben found out about the whole thing. As far as I remember Khelben has always been calm and collected when I`ve read about him. It would be a new experience to see him go completely banana.

Not so new--I did it back in 1996 in FALL OF MYTH DRANNOR at the Battle of Silversgate. Even though he accomplished what he set out to do, Khelben considers his death/near-death and the death of the High Mage of Silverymoon in this debacle to be one of his worst failures, even after centuries of folk telling him otherwise.

But true, Khelben's a bit more buttoned-down and in control than he used to be. Only thing now that would make him come absolutely unglued would be Laeral's death. He has more of a mixed bag of emotions when it comes to children, for reasons not to be mentioned right now....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  18:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulnil

On Khelben's thought re: Fzoul betraying their agreement--"Unlike your Lord Neville Chamberlain, I have multitudinous ways to wreak my displeasure upon Lord Chembryl, should he renege on his word. Nor am I so squeamish as to stay my hand if such should happen."

It may have been previously discussed, in which case sorry, but is their any chance you can further develop the intricacies of this arrangement? The timeframe, though I may be mistaken, was around 50 years, which puts a huge chronological hold on Fzoul and Khelben.

Thanks,

Well, I'm reluctant to talk too much on this; I'd left it wide open as per CLOAK & DAGGER for more wiggle-room for GMs. That said, I'll note this (and only answer more specific questions later that won't necessarily limit GM options with this plot):

Khelben and Fzoul are both highly intelligent people.

Both will adhere to the absolute letter of the law in their agreement (as stated explicitly in C&D).

Khelben & Fzoul both will take advantage of loopholes within the wording of their agreements if they need to strike back at any apparent violation of said agreement. (Meaning they might send third-party or fourth-party agents who don't know for whom they operate to disrupt things.)

I may've already said too much there, but hope that little bit helps. If not, ask more specifically what you had questions on.

And yes, the agreement to tie each other up for decades was intentional. Khelben plays the long game, remember, as does Fzoul, now that he's among the near-immortals.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  18:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Okay, another question for Steven about Amn. Which will begin with an observation:

I can understand the rationale for arcane magic having become so feared and reviled in Amn, due to a history of evil wizards behaving without constraint, unleashing all manner of monster and plague and so forth in the course of their scheming and powergrabbing. And since Amn relies almost entirely on an oral history, i.e., of parents and grandparents telling their children and grandchildren about the world, it is easy to understand how the neagtive stereotypes of wizards get strongly reinforced. And remain unchallenged.

Short answer: "Because they are miracles and answered prayers to the gods."

In other words, if the cleric / caster has to answer to a hierarchy and/or deity, there's controls on it, and said church can be called upon to censure or smack down anyone who's getting a little spell-happy within Amnian lands (highly personal judgement call for GMs and NPCs alike )

Longer answers can't be done on my lunch hour now, alas. Still, good question and one to discuss further.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  21:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
He has more of a mixed bag of emotions when it comes to children, for reasons not to be mentioned right now....

Steven

Hm...I'm not normally one to make comparisons of Realms figures to other folk, but I'm getting vibes much like Luke from Gilmore Girls' current children situation...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  22:51:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
He has more of a mixed bag of emotions when it comes to children, for reasons not to be mentioned right now....

Steven

Hm...I'm not normally one to make comparisons of Realms figures to other folk, but I'm getting vibes much like Luke from Gilmore Girls' current children situation...

Would that make Laeral his Lorelai? What about Michel and Taylor?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  22:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Would that make Laeral his Lorelai?

Heh, yep. Now who is Rory...
quote:

What about Michel and Taylor?

Taylor would have to be Bran Skorlsun, and Michel Elminster...

Good to see someone else likes such a good show around here!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  03:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Steven

Interesting idea....but it's more to do with some of Khelben's more powerful progeny in the past and their fates than any hesitancy re: kids.

By the by, Luke's a perfect embodiment of what I picture a younger Durnan looking and acting like. I'm just sayin'.....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36775 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  03:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the by, Luke's a perfect embodiment of what I picture a younger Durnan looking and acting like. I'm just sayin'.....

Complete with backwards baseball cap, fingerless gloves, and old fatigues jacket?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  03:29:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Complete with backwards baseball cap, fingerless gloves, and old fatigues jacket?

Hey, we've never actually seen Ed's stories of the days Mirt and Durnan date from, back when the Realms was connected to our world...
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  23:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I have finally started reading Sea of Fallen Stars (totally boss, dude!), and I have a question about the Dukar path which enables one to take on the forms of other creatures: could someone assume the guise of an aboleth and, by consuming a real aboleth, obtain the collective memory which they can share, or is that considered a "special ability" which the path, per definitio does not confer?

Steven, I'm equipped with my copy of Sea of Fallen Stars now, and here's the section (p. 123) which raised my curiosity about shapeshifting into an aboleth:

quote:
{T}he Foeform path actually provides a changeling-like ability to transform oneself into increasingly dissimilar beings. Unlike most transformational magic, this fully changes a being into this other form.... This path does not grant the Dukar any special or magical abilities that a normal specimen of the shape assumed possesses.

If a Dukar then assumed aboleth shape and ate a real aboleth, would you, as a DM and arbiter par excellence of the rules (having literally written the book on it! ) allow that Foeformed Dukar the ability to transmit that aboleth ancestral (and gustatively obtained) knowledge via telepathy or such-like methods, thus managing to pass aboleth knowledge to a different species?

Elaine Cunningham had the Regent of Ascore telepathically probe an aboleth, but the Regent had a slight edge over the average PC, what with being an illithid and all....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000