Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 65

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  11:16:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I snagged it already for my files, which will be on your site, if someone ever puts up my misc html...... Cracks his whip at Alaundo.

Well met

Ahha! Splendid, Kuje. I'll be sure to get onto it right awa..... hold on a moment, pass me back that whip!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  19:03:44  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I snagged it already for my files, which will be on your site, if someone ever puts up my misc html...... Cracks his whip at Alaundo.

Well met

Ahha! Splendid, Kuje. I'll be sure to get onto it right awa..... hold on a moment, pass me back that whip!

If you`re interested in most foul and terrible devices that will inspire the people here to work faster, Alaundo, you need only ask me, since my god specializes in the gory bits.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  19:18:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

If you`re interested in most foul and terrible devices that will inspire the people here to work faster, Alaundo, you need only ask me, since my god specializes in the gory bits.

Ah, but he's not active in the Realms...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  20:10:31  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Just you wait. I`ll gate him into the realms and then he`ll kick Tempus, Anhur and Garagos all over the place.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2005 :  20:15:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Just you wait. I`ll gate him into the realms and then he`ll kick Tempus, Anhur and Garagos all over the place.

Yeah...

Let's get back to questions for Steven, shall we?

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  02:45:57  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to get things back on track, a question for Steven:

Can you give us an example your 'dream' gaming group? Doesn't matter if they're alive, dead, undead, immortal, real, imaginary, or in varying states of decay.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  12:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Can you give us an example your 'dream' gaming group? Doesn't matter if they're alive, dead, undead, immortal, real, imaginary, or in varying states of decay.

Not quite sure what you're meaning here (as I'm yet without caffeine in my system): Are you talking adventuring party, group about which I've written in the past, or actual players in a gaming group?

SES
Who's off in search of that coffee now....and he'll be back later...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 12 Sep 2005 12:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2005 :  14:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actual players in a gaming group.

Now, go get that COFFEE!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  13:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone to repost on the D&D / WOtC boards, since I scanned a discussion this morning...

The Highfire Crown's reference as The Holy Grail was not a mention of its power level, but more how the elven race sees it--It's the "Holy Grail" of things for which to quest. It's the ultimate prize/elven treasure that should be sought. It's a reminder of what elves are capable of at their best. It's not because it brings its bearer untold amounts of power (though it does, that...).

By the by, (Steven dances nimbly around the edges of an NDA standing by with a grim look, black cloak, and a scythe), don't worry about whether or not people will come to look for you for possessing the Highfire Crown. It's NOT a singular item, but 13 individuals (High Mages, no less) who choose to work cooperatively. THEY choose who finds them, and THEY choose whether or not to assemble into the Crown and grant the wearer their help/power. It's almost closer to the Crown of Horns, which also chooses its own wearer, but to the power of 13.

Bet that really puts the cat among the pigeons...

Steven Schend
A guy who knows a few things about the Fall and such

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  14:09:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll do it .

Hey Steven... did you get the addendum?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  16:56:23  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

For anyone to repost on the D&D / WOtC boards, since I scanned a discussion this morning...

The Highfire Crown's reference as The Holy Grail was not a mention of its power level, but more how the elven race sees it--It's the "Holy Grail" of things for which to quest. It's the ultimate prize/elven treasure that should be sought. It's a reminder of what elves are capable of at their best. It's not because it brings its bearer untold amounts of power (though it does, that...).

By the by, (Steven dances nimbly around the edges of an NDA standing by with a grim look, black cloak, and a scythe), don't worry about whether or not people will come to look for you for possessing the Highfire Crown. It's NOT a singular item, but 13 individuals (High Mages, no less) who choose to work cooperatively. THEY choose who finds them, and THEY choose whether or not to assemble into the Crown and grant the wearer their help/power. It's almost closer to the Crown of Horns, which also chooses its own wearer, but to the power of 13.

Bet that really puts the cat among the pigeons...

Steven Schend
A guy who knows a few things about the Fall and such

Stupid question, what is the highfire crown? I`ve heard about it somewhere but I`ve forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Stupid question, what is the highfire crown? I`ve heard about it somewhere but I`ve forgotten.

It's detailed in the Fall of Myth Drannor. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Seeker

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  18:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what would be the "holy grail" for the other races? i have some choices in mind for dwarves, but what about halflings and gnomes? and drow?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  19:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll do it .

Sorry, no I didn't. If you only sent it this a.m., there may be some delay with my email system (though there shouldn't be). Resend and I'll let you know if I don't have it by sundown today. And thanks.

SES

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  01:57:56  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'll do it .

Sorry, no I didn't. If you only sent it this a.m., there may be some delay with my email system (though there shouldn't be). Resend and I'll let you know if I don't have it by sundown today. And thanks.

SES

I thought as much.

I'll try sending it again .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  02:59:52  Show Profile  Click to see Crennen FaerieBane's MSN Messenger address Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Want to tell you, excellent work of the Lands of Intrigue Box Set. Finally got my hands on it through the magic of Ebay. I know it can be downloaded, but I much prefer the real thing.

Wanted to ask you about pg. 70, entry for Nyadnar. It says (N "ef"/dragon "W?"). I think this is an error, but I was just wondering if you could hook me up with the answer.

Thanks!!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  04:10:31  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Steven,

Want to tell you, excellent work of the Lands of Intrigue Box Set. Finally got my hands on it through the magic of Ebay. I know it can be downloaded, but I much prefer the real thing.

Wanted to ask you about pg. 70, entry for Nyadnar. It says (N "ef"/dragon "W?"). I think this is an error, but I was just wondering if you could hook me up with the answer.

Thanks!!

C-Fb

Thanks for your kind words.

You'll need to give me a little more context for Nyadnar before I can give you a definitive answer, as I'm only getting the itch that I know what you're talking about there.... Bear with me, as I created more than a hundred characters or so in that boxed set, so they blur (yes, even those with dragon attached to them....)

Hopefully I'll be back by Sunday to answer this....

SES

PS: Immediate best guess--she's a half-dragon of the silver variety, as they mate with elves...and she's a wizard of some levels. Now, whether or not she's related to the half-silver dragon ranger Lord Tammsel of Erlkazar is another matter entirely....

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  04:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

That's easy enough, I suppose....and keep it real.

Ed's the gamemaster, without question.
Fellow players: Eric Boyd, Paul Kemp, Jeff Grubb, George Krashos, the Hooded One (because she deserves to have us all to herself), and Bryon Wischstadt.

Real people, all alive, half of whom I've gamed with in the past or conversed with about same. And I'm sure it'd be a helluva game.

If we're talking mind-blowing acting/role-playing with people whose ability to transcend characters, here's my list of those living I'd love to see step into one of my shared worlds: Ian McKellan, Brendan Fraser, Viggo Mortenson, Kate Blanchett, Juliana Marguiles, Emma Thomsen, Kate Winslet, and Maureen O'Hara. And why yes, I do game with more women in my fantasies. Go figger...

Among the dead, I'd love to see more characterizations out of the Hepburns Audrey and Katharine, Richard Harris, Burt Lancaster, Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, and Carole Lombard.

That answer the question, Melfius?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4923 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  06:12:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[brThat's easy enough, I suppose....and keep it real.

Ed's the gamemaster, without question.
Fellow players: Eric Boyd, Paul Kemp, Jeff Grubb, George Krashos, the Hooded One (because she deserves to have us all to herself), and Bryon Wischstadt.

Well as someone who hasn't gamed since their early university years, and is the only 'unpublished one' in the line-up - of those whose identities are known: THO may very well be published for all we know - I'm rather humbled. I really should try and crank out some DRAGON articles and see what floats ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  09:50:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I finally got my hands on lands of intrigue yesterday, and it`s really good. Where can I find information about Tethyr, Amn and Maztkikha(I can`t pronounce it) after 1370 dr?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2005 :  14:54:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven, I finally got my hands on lands of intrigue yesterday, and it`s really good. Where can I find information about Tethyr, Amn and Maztkikha(I can`t pronounce it) after 1370 dr?

Maztica is that hard to spell/pronounce?

As to your question, the Lands of Intrigues have been pretty much abandonded since after the publication of LoI, except for the blurb in the FRCS and I also believe the adventure-module Castle Spulzeer is set after or during the boxed set's "now."

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Iakhovas
Acolyte

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  13:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Iakhovas's Homepage  Send Iakhovas a Yahoo! Message Send Iakhovas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Working away on the revisions for BLACKSTAFF....and figured I'd drop a query here....

As I'm tinkering and adjusting who really needs to be in the book, chime in here and tell me:
Quote from Steven Schend:
Who among the related NPCs linked to Khelben do you most want to see/expect to see in that story? (Bear in mind this excludes the obvious ones of his wife and probably her fellow Chosen. I was wondering if you all expected a parade of ex-apprentices or new people...)

You're going to find out a lot more about Blackstaff Tower. Just what do you need to know that you don't already? And do you expect a full accounting of all apprentices currently therein?

Just figured I'd ask those with some expectations about this book, if only so I can try and fulfill them.....

Hello Mr. Schend. I have just found out today after reading your entire interactive thread that Aznar Thrul was Kehlben's apprentice. This is a shock to me. Very disturbing lore news indeed!

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely.... absolutely LOVE this bit of lore. So in answer to your query above, I am BEGGING you to give this zulkir a BIG part in your upcoming Blackstaff novel. Indeed, I would grovel at your feet, cook all your dinner for the entire time it takes you to write the book, be your housekeeper, and even take out your garbage.... if I could.... just so you include Aznar Thrul.

I realize there are a few novels featuring Red Wizards out there, mostly making them look like stupid, bumbling, over-confident fools (who just coincidentally possess wizardly powers) and so far, the only time I truly liked how a Red Wizard's character was described by Ed Greenwood in Elminster's Daughter. Unfortunately, that Red Wizard was only a cameo.

So I will keep my fingers crossed that perhaps you grant me my wish. *grins*
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2005 :  20:40:00  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Maztica is that hard to spell/pronounce?

As to your question, the Lands of Intrigues have been pretty much abandonded since after the publication of LoI, except for the blurb in the FRCS and I also believe the adventure-module Castle Spulzeer is set after or during the boxed set's "now."

Answer the first: Probably the best place to ask / look for info on that area would be here. Or in Jess Lebow's Master of Chains (which uses Erlkazar).

Answer the second: The events of the Castle Spulzeer module actually take place before the LOI Boxed set, which is why the castle ruins ain't there no more.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2005 :  01:39:08  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that answers my question quite well, though I'm not the least bit surprised about having Ed be DM. I would choose the same!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1632 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  13:25:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another note to pass along to the WotC Boards, please....

Fey'ri History and background can be found in pieces in ELMINSTER IN MYTH DRANNOR, CORMANTHYR: Empire of Elves, FALL OF MYTH DRANNOR (I think there's hints about Dlardrageth stuff in here, or at least battles around their property in Cormanthor), CLOAK & DAGGER, LORDS OF DARKNESS, LOST EMPIRES OF FAERUN.

In effect, look for elven history and you'll find some hints on them.

SES

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 65  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000