Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 An interesting problem.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aiHD
Acolyte

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  07:33:00  Show Profile  Visit aiHD's Homepage Send aiHD a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A few weeks back, I found myself DMing (well, "narrating") a campaign, without much in the way of first-hand experience. The campaign is set in the Realms, yes... but at the insistence of one of the players, we're using Decipher's LOTR RPG system.

(Yeah, he's big on elves. Yeah, it can get annoying, but I can deal. He's one of my best friends, after all...)

I like the system, there's not much there that annoys me asides from a few glaring faults. This may turn out being more of a rant than a request for help, but I guess I might as well go ahead.

1) The rulebook more or less states "Elves are superpowered, immortal humanoids who can do no wrong. Ever. Oh, and they're not arrogant about it."
I've had to throw out more or less the ENTIRE history of the Tel'Quessir - the thousands of N'Tel'Quessir deaths when Evermeet was split off from the mainland didn't happen, the Crown Wars didn't happen, and neither the drow nor the fey'ri exist. I've had to work out special items to maintain some level of in-party parity due to the ridiculous amount of bonuses elves get. And I've had to throw out every villain with even a hint of elven blood (no more insane elven supremacists). Seriously, my friend is a guy who refused to play Baldur's Gate II because "elves would never do that" (Irenicus).

It even creates roleplaying problems because apparently LOTR's elves can reincarnate if they're murdered.

But there's not much that I can do about that particular set of problems, so let's go on to number two.

2) The rulebook is very light on magic - this is the real thing I'd like you guys to help me with.
Wizards in Middle Earth are much lighter on magic than those in the Realms, it seems. I'm don't want to change the setting even more than it already has been, and I'm not sure how I want to adapt the system to the setting. My friend suggested cutting off all spells above fifth level unless in a stronghold/sanctum, but I really don't want to lock high-level spellcasting to specific locations. The Realms are wizard-centric, aren't they? How would it be possible to represent powerful archmages with such a... dare I say, castrated system?

I was thinking that I might modify that idea and make it so that wizards would require additional "focus" (working title) to cast the more powerful spells - whether the "focus" is supplied by a Staff of Power or by a gargantuan pyramid... but I don't know. Any ideas?

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  12:22:41  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I didn't catch the first question

But as for the second one an item of focus seems as a good choice if any. As per say when the spell caster reaches spell levels over 5th he must then create an item on which to focus his mind upon. Lest the power required to make the spell come into existance won't assamble into the wizards mind. A staff or similar would be the most common I guess but other stranger focus objects would probably be around as well.

Anoter way to do it is perhaps a new feat or skill Like a skille named "Arcane Focus" and the different spell levels have different DC. Or a feat system of some kind.

And if you don't use spells higher then 5th I guess heaps of magical stuff and or permanent spells in effect would make the archmage seem quiet powerful indeed. Since they don't expand in quality I guess they would "have" to expand their quantity.

Well enough rambling, just a few pointers from my side. I am not that hyped on the rule systems so some one will probably have better ways to tackle it.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 18 Jan 2005 12:24:31
Go to Top of Page

aiHD
Acolyte

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  12:44:24  Show Profile  Visit aiHD's Homepage Send aiHD a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they aren't so much questions as they are grievances. The only question in that post is, as you correctly surmised, the second one!

Actually, they're not so much grievances as sticking points. Not that much drama, despite my venting.

I think the "focus" idea is a good one, but I'm kind of wondering how to explain it. Maybe Mystra put harsher restrictions on after the Karsus incident? We've changed a ridiculous amount in this campaign already, "tweaking" history further wouldn't hurt that much I guess.

Oh, and thanks for your vote of confidence.

Edited by - aiHD on 18 Jan 2005 12:46:34
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  13:02:26  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, well I guess a lid down from Mystra would be a way to go. A bigger one which has allready occured after Karsus. That would be the easiest way to rechange it I guess.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 18 Jan 2005 13:04:50
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  13:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're interested in pursuing the 'arcane focus' idea, Mongoose Publishing has a book called the Quintessential Wizard, which presents a system for an arcane nexus, very much along the lines of what you're looking for. I've not used the rules myself in actual play, so I don't know how balanced the system is. The book was written for version 3.0, but can be updated with very little tweaking.

Good luck.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra

If you're interested in pursuing the 'arcane focus' idea, Mongoose Publishing has a book called the Quintessential Wizard, which presents a system for an arcane nexus, very much along the lines of what you're looking for. I've not used the rules myself in actual play, so I don't know how balanced the system is. The book was written for version 3.0, but can be updated with very little tweaking.

Good luck.

Quintessential Wizard II is out now for version 3.5. However, I have not heard if the arcane nexus is still featured within the new tome.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000