Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Known Portals from Faerun to the Planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

glaucusrex
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  18:48:13  Show Profile  Visit glaucusrex's Homepage Send glaucusrex a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone compiled a list of known portals from Faerun to the planes? I know of a couple, but figure someone must have done this before...

I know of the World Serpent Inn in Arabel, Cormyr.

I know of the Gate leading to the Gates of the Moon and the Infinite Staircase in "For Duty and Deity".

Are there others? Is there a list?

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  19:34:22  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glaucusrex

Has anyone compiled a list of known portals from Faerun to the planes? I know of a couple, but figure someone must have done this before...

I know of the Gate leading to the Gates of the Moon and the Infinite Staircase in "For Duty and Deity".

Too many to count?
Don't forget the Sword of the Abbey has something like a dozen or so below it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

glaucusrex
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  21:26:37  Show Profile  Visit glaucusrex's Homepage Send glaucusrex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Too many to count?
Don't forget the Sword of the Abbey has something like a dozen or so below it.

Thanks, I'll look into that. I did not know about the Sword of the Abbey.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2005 :  22:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres a Gate to Sigil under Abbey of the Sword in Battledale (See Faithes and Pantheons)

Theres a massive gate in the Anauroch Dessert west of the Lost vale the gate leads to the outlands Im not sure where the gate would go in the new FR Cosmology although Finders bane does mention the beholder god Gzemnid and the Mind Flayer god Ilsensine

Theres a gate to Fugues plane in a abondoned Dwarven city under castle Dragonspear but you have to be dead to use it

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  02:33:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hall of Mists too, in the High Forest. Check out the "Mintper's Chapbook" series on the WotC FR website.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  02:36:24  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A list of known portals in Faerun would be handy indeed. If no one else has decided to compile one, I may decide to take on this project myself.

I know there is this website: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/pg

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  02:36:54  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Theres also a gate to the Abyss under the Grandfather tree in the High Forest

Theres also a Gate to the Abyss under the Ruins of the Witch Kings castle in Vassa

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 14 Jan 2005 02:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  03:09:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

A list of known portals in Faerun would be handy indeed. If no one else has decided to compile one, I may decide to take on this project myself.

I know there is this website: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/pg

I really liked the Perilous Gateways series... I wish they'd not discontinued them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  12:40:40  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

I really liked the Perilous Gateways series... I wish they'd not discontinued them.

Aye, twas a nice good series.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2005 :  22:36:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hall of Mists too, in the High Forest. Check out the "Mintper's Chapbook" series on the WotC FR website.

-- George Krashos

That was another good web series, too. Lots of lore.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  05:27:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
That was another good web series, too. Lots of lore.

Are you saying some of the current series lack lore?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  07:41:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Theres a Gate to Sigil under Abbey of the Sword in Battledale (See Faithes and Pantheons)

As far as I know (and I'll have to check with the Sage to be certain of this), according to PS3e . . . that portal no longer exists. Or rather, the end of the portal that exists in the City of Doors is no longer accessible.

quote:

Theres a massive gate in the Anauroch Dessert west of the Lost vale the gate leads to the outlands Im not sure where the gate would go in the new FR Cosmology although Finders bane does mention the beholder god Gzemnid and the Mind Flayer god Ilsensine

Since the various monstrous deities haven't received as much attention in the 3e FR cosmology, who can say where those two have ended up . . .

If Sigil is still part of the FR cosmology via portal travel, then it's likely that both deities still reside in the Outlands.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  08:36:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra
As far as I know (and I'll have to check with the Sage to be certain of this), according to PS3e . . . that portal no longer exists. Or rather, the end of the portal that exists in the City of Doors is no longer accessible.

Since the various monstrous deities haven't received as much attention in the 3e FR cosmology, who can say where those two have ended up . . .

If Sigil is still part of the FR cosmology via portal travel, then it's likely that both deities still reside in the Outlands.

Sigil, and that portal in 3e's Faiths and Pantheons, does still exist in FR's new planes and it is the same exact Sigil of the Wheel/Ring. I, and others, have asked this of Rich Baker on more then one occasion and he has said words to this effect. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Jan 2005 08:37:18
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  13:31:12  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

dargoth, could you (or anyone else) please lead me to the source of this information? i think i´ve read about it some time ago but simply cannot remember, no matter how hard i beat my head against the wall.

i remember the numerous anauroch- based portals in the "perlious gateweays" series: a draconic "portal-network" guarded by a brown (?) dragon, a cave-system populated by asabis with an immense number of gates in them, and a lich´s cave in/under the high ice (some old thayan wizardess with vampiric servants, iirc) that was linked to other "refuges" by gates.

these are all portals i know; i fail to recall reading about a gate to the outlands. it could be a handy story-tool, because it gives a plausible explanation for the presence of "outlandish" npc´s (or even pc´s) in the anauroch, the desertsmouth mntns and the dalelands...

[edit]
oh, seems i overlooked mentioning "finders bane"...
i read it quite a while back and have only hazy memories about it. was that gate mentioned anywhere else, or only in that novel?
[/edit]

tauster

Edited by - tauster on 15 Jan 2005 13:34:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  13:36:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

quote:

dargoth, could you (or anyone else) please lead me to the source of this information? i think i´ve read about it some time ago but simply cannot remember, no matter how hard i beat my head against the wall.

'Tis in the book Finder's Bane. The portal in question was large enough to sail a spelljammer thru.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  13:57:10  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br'Tis in the book Finder's Bane. The portal in question was large enough to sail a spelljammer thru.

alas, i was hoping that there were other sources besides the novel!
...which, btw, did a great job depicting the relation between clerics and their gods!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  08:57:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Kuje knows the score . He's got it right on the Faerunian end of things. However, you are correct in that the Sigilian end of the portal can no longer be accessed.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  09:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting

Does that mean that its a one way gate and you only use the gate to go from Faerun to Sigil and not from Sigil to Faerun or does it mean that the Faerun end of the gate is open but the Sigil end is closed? Hence making the Gate unuseable

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  11:08:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting

Does that mean that its a one way gate and you only use the gate to go from Faerun to Sigil and not from Sigil to Faerun or does it mean that the Faerun end of the gate is open but the Sigil end is closed? Hence making the Gate unuseable

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how it works.

The idea behind it was so that, if DMs wished to keep the Realms and Sigil separate, there was something written within the text that the DM could use in order to suggest that the Sigilian end of the portal may have been sealed, possibly by Dolores. On the other hand, if DMs are wishing to allow the connection between the two settings for their games, then they can simply ignore what's written in the setting tome, without too much disruption.

That's my take anyway... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2018 :  14:01:33  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte glaucusrex,

This is probably as good as it is going to get for a list:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Portals

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000