Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

qstor
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2005 :  18:27:55  Show Profile  Send qstor an AOL message Send qstor a Private Message
Ed,

Any chance a 3.5 version of the Haunted Halls in Dungeon kinda like what Rob Kuntz has done with Erik Mona?

Keep up the great work!
Merry CHristmas and Happy New Year!

Mike
relative boards newbie

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  01:04:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. This time around, Ed tackles Ladejarl’s July query: “Pray ask the Bearded One if he is free to share any lore on which faiths are represented among the druids of the Misty Forest. Also the names of some the druids of importance in the forest would be much appreciated.”
Ed replies:

Ladejarl, the presence of the wood elves has kept the Misty Forest a little light on human druids, but my notes record a handful:
• the elderly Loregrim Thandaron (high-level human male druid of Silvanus, formerly of Neverwinter), who has at least two young, very low-level assistants plus rangers he habitually works with
• the reclusive, quiet, sometimes-mistaken-for-a-dryad Alaelyss (“Al-LAEL-lice”) Ombarton (formerly of Tethyr), a tall, plain-featured, careless-of-clothing, usually barefoot, wild-haired druid of Eldath who spends much of her time planting, tending, and propogating mosses, ferns, lichens, and tree seedlings, and improving both drainage and water sources; she definitely works and dwells alone, having as friends a few elves, dryads, and other forest creatures
• the sleek, leather-clad, impish-humoured Talantra Malalkin (born in Waterdeep, but hailing from many places since), a worldly, much-travelled druid of Mielikki who has settled in the Misty Forest as “perfect for her,” but is eager to hear news of the wider world and to guide or host adventurers and other intruders; she maintains a cave in the Misty Forest where travellers can shelter - - and forest denizens can know where such intruders are, and need not worry about them cutting firewood or trying to hack out campsites; Talantra works with many rangers, not just of her own faith, and (like some sort of military officer) likes to know what’s befalling on the High Moor at all times, so as to be prepared for trouble
I’m afraid I don’t have levels or stats for these characters. My lore notes say that all of them co-exist peacefully with the elves, and work with them unhesitatingly to repel strong threats from the High Moors (such as orcs with lit torches who want to do a little “forest clearance”). I hope this scanty lore is of some help.

So saith Ed. Who will be back with more Realmslore replies, the next one tomorrow.
In the meantime, Merry Yule, Happy Solstice Afterdance, Merry Christmas, and Grand Hannukah and Kwanzaa and High Reindeer Feast to all!
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Dec 2005 15:23:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:10:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Realmslore from the Old Bearded One... On Christmas Day!

What a wonderful present indeed . Thank you Ed and to you as well THO. Merry Christmas to you both .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What a wonderful present indeed . Thank you Ed and to you as well THO. Merry Christmas to you both .

Perhaps we should make up a 12 days of Faerun jingle!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  02:42:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Hehe... I just helped out on a Classic BattleTech-themed 12 Days on the CBT message boards . I'll have to send it to Wooly, he'll appreciate it...

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Dec 2005 02:45:40
Go to Top of Page

MW Turnage
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  04:44:50  Show Profile  Visit MW Turnage's Homepage Send MW Turnage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

What The Sage said. Happy respective festivities to all.

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  07:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Dhomal's Homepage Send Dhomal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And, yes, El had been keeping a low public profile for some years prior to the story, living and working (on behind-the-scenes stuff, not coercing rulers and having public confrontations with VIPs) in various disguises or personas while in Faerûn and travelling often to other planes and continents.

I find the note in the last line about other Continents interesting. Ive been wondering for a bit now - if there IS access to Spelljamming (not to mention more conventional, but magical) means of travel - what has been found on the other continents? I find this interesting also because we now see the 'Realms' as having several distinct areas of deific worship, and having intelligent life/civilizations on other continents would likely add to that number - increasing (in a possibly large way) the number of deities associalted with Toril itself - not to mention (using the Spelljammer tactic) the other worlds in Realmsspace. I also fully understand that Spelljamming may not 'exist' in Ed's home game - and as I recall - Maztica was not of his own hands - at least not what we ended up seeing in printed form, so some of my curiousity stems from TSR/WOTC addendums to the original creation.

I guess - in a simple question for Ed, to keep the thread on-topic, have you and/or your players ever really concerned yourselves with the 'contents' of the other continental landmasses? And - since any amount of 'real' information would quickly escalate to way more than would be feasible or necessary - do you ever envision there being additional development that we might see of these places?

Many thanks for sharing your creation!

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  10:48:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Merry Yule, Happy Solstice Afterdance, Merry Christmas, and Grand Hannukah and Kwanzaa and High Reindeer Feast to all!
love to all,
THO

[swedish]En God Jul[/swedish] to the two of ye as well, Oh Hooded One.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2005 :  15:29:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Dhomal. A quick "helper" reply until Ed can do a proper one. Victor Selby, the player who portrayed Jelde Asturien and later Torm of the Knights, among many other characters, started to detail one of the continents. Maztica was not in Ed's original Realms, but flying ships (elven defenses of Evermeet, plus a 'flying Dutchman' style ever-sailing-the-air-haunted-vessel) were, so when Jeff Grubb started to create the SPELLJAMMER line, it was only natural that Ed be brought in to do the first supplement (Lost Ships) and "Realmsify" the concept.
So, yes, we've talked and imagined what things were like on other continents, visited one (via gate [3e "portal']) once, very briefly, and (ahem) NDA on future development [that particular NDA has been there since 1986, folks, so please don't read too much into it and start rumors of a new line, or anything, okay?).
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Dec 2005 15:30:24
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  04:50:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. This time Ed replies to Goldforge’s September query: “concerning Druids and why every Druid other than Mielikki Druids can't wear metal armour. My argument was that Druids of Talos, because they venerate storms and natural disasters, should not be subject to this rule. Talos himself hates nature (the plant and animal kind of Nature, I’m guessing) so why would he sanction his Druids from using Metal if it is considered an affront to Nature? Why would Talos not allow his Druids to use a material that other, more goodly and nice, Deities of Nature label as an affront? We debated for a while, and we couldn’t even come up with half a reason why Druids of Mielikki are allowed to use Metal. It’s especially odd that Talassan Druids can’t when they have more of a reason to wear Metal then their Mielikki Druid counterparts. Were certain Nature Dieties such as Auril and Talos left forgotten when it came to listing diety specific class rule exceptions? Could someone tell me, with facts or an authoritative voice, why Talassan Druids can’t wear Metal armour?”
Ed speaks:

Ahem. (Assumes authoritative voice.)
Because they’d fry thanks to lightning in storms, that’s why. :}
Just as those of Auril would sear their skins off, in intense cold, and die of hypothermia. Metal interferes with most “natural cycles” of body heat, moisture transfer, and so on, and therefore the presence of too much of it is like poison to druids. Feels wrong (“itchy” to nauseous), shatters their attunement with nature, grounds any lightning spells they try to cast (with, yes, disastrous results for the caster), and so on.
Mielikki, however, is especially attuned to minerals (including minerals in solution, such as iron in blood and nutrients in plant saps), and so (through prayer, training, and by following her teachings) her druids are, too.
I grant you this exceptional status seems very weird, when applying dispassionate real-world logic to the situation. However, please step back and consider just what you’re doing: trying to objectively apply real-world logic to a fictitious fantasy-setting magic-related situation. Sometimes the best answer is: “Because that’s just the way things are - - that’s why.” This is one of those moments.
Personally, I’m puzzled as to why you so strongly want a druid of Talos to have metal armour. For cool fashion reasons? Game min-maxing? (In other words, to a roleplayer, it really shouldn’t matter. Like all faith-related things that those who follow other beliefs may find strange [specific rituals, taboos, dietary requirements, etc.]: if the deity or a more senior druid says thus-and-so, then you do thus-and-so.)
However, if it really upsets you, allow Talassan druids to wear metal armour in your Realms campaign. It doesn’t stretch game balance that much; it’s more a matter of making nature deities distinctive from each other.

So saith Ed. In the ‘home’ Realms campaign, Florin follows Mielikki, and fathered a child on her orders (unlike most of her faithful, he had several face-to-face meetings with the Lady of the Forest, during one of which she kissed him!). If she told him, or gave him a dream-vision showing him [the way she directly communicates with most of her druids], to go into battle stark naked, or wearing fishnets stockings over his head, or blindfolded, he’d do just that.
Hmm. Hope Ed doesn’t read this, or Florin might be in for some interesting play sessions.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  05:31:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

plus a 'flying Dutchman' style ever-sailing-the-air-haunted-vessel

I'd like to know more about this one, if I may, dear Lady.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  15:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message
HI there Ed Merry Christmas,

Quick question for ya. I don't know if it's been asked before, and it's not Realms related but... Whatever happened to Castlemorn?

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 26 Dec 2005 15:44:35
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  16:02:28  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Man

HI there Ed Merry Christmas,

Quick question for ya. I don't know if it's been asked before, and it's not Realms related but... Whatever happened to Castlemorn?

From Ed (via THO) back on the 22nd of December '05 -

"Hi again, all. In answer to some private queries from concerned scribes: no, I wasn’t joking about bullets. And no, I can’t say any more (a gal’s gotta keep SOME secrets, and I’m afraid I signed a paper some years back that said I would). Herewith, a reply from Ed to The Sage, regarding the current status of Castlemorn:

Hi, Sage! I, too, am eager to see this puppy published. If I can claw the necessary time away from family and chores before the end of the year, I want to go over its text to restore a consistent “voice” (I wrote it as a non-D&D-specific setting, and Fast Forward turned it into a d20 setting for commercial reasons; this is fine with me, but in the process a lot of text was generated by other pens than mine, and I just want to polish some of the prose. Studio 2 is indeed the new home of the book, and the art is GORGEOUS. Scribes who don’t give two hoots about one more fantasy setting might want to snap up the book just for the eye candy!
P.S. Glad you liked the Crimmor DRAGON article. There are more in the works, plus (thanks to the great Erik Mona) a surprise coming up, too. Can’t say more yet. :}

So saith Ed. So that’s the “fix” Krash referred to.
BTW: to David Lázaro: Ed thanks you for the congrats (he had to sweat blood to even try to squeeze in half of the events, characters, and “fun scenes” he wanted to put in this book, and promises one thing to every reader: it will be PACKED), and your request to drop the equine lore request is duly noted.
love,
THO"

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  17:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message
Good enough thanks. :) A preview to some of that art would be cool if they ever get close to publishing time.

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 26 Dec 2005 17:05:39
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  17:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Merry Christmas to You, Milady, and to Father Weirdbeard o' the Greenwood!

I am glad that you're back with us, and hopefully you'll recover completely from your wounds. Maybe you should consider a life in Candlekeep, and quit your work as a Harper agent?

I have a couple of questions to Ed (who will probably grow weary of my "too-much-attention-to-small-details"-attitude ;). Here we go: You have kindly responded to my questions about the Sembian walled compounds, but do they have any kind of wooden gates, or just an "opening" in the hedgerow walls for entrance? How about the moats/ditches - do they usually build bridges over them?

Then about farms and fields... how many acres of land does a typical/average Heartlands family farm? I am an urban person, so it is hard for me to grasp the concepts of medieval farming
You also wrote about "checkered-field" farms... did you mean fields separated by empty spaces/woodlots between them (and connected to each other via corners - sort of like a chessboard with "dark spaces" in between the fields) or smaller fields side by side in a roughly square-shaped area (sort of boxes within a box)? What an odd question, I know, and poorly phrased, but hopefully you understand what I am asking here ;)
Many of the Realms communities (Shadowdale, for example) also seem to have "irregularly" shaped fields... which type of farm field is more common in the Realms - the "checkered-chessboard"-type or "the irregular"-type?

Best of wishes for you and the Hooded One! And thank you for the answers in advance :)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  18:16:28  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Merry Christmas to You, Milady, and to Father Weirdbeard o' the Greenwood!

I am glad that you're back with us, and hopefully you'll recover completely from your wounds. Maybe you should consider a life in Candlekeep, and quit your work as a Harper agent?

I have a couple of questions to Ed (who will probably grow weary of my "too-much-attention-to-small-details"-attitude ;). Here we go: You have kindly responded to my questions about the Sembian walled compounds, but do they have any kind of wooden gates, or just an "opening" in the hedgerow walls for entrance? How about the moats/ditches - do they usually build bridges over them?

Then about farms and fields... how many acres of land does a typical/average Heartlands family farm? I am an urban person, so it is hard for me to grasp the concepts of medieval farming
You also wrote about "checkered-field" farms... did you mean fields separated by empty spaces/woodlots between them (and connected to each other via corners - sort of like a chessboard with "dark spaces" in between the fields) or smaller fields side by side in a roughly square-shaped area (sort of boxes within a box)? What an odd question, I know, and poorly phrased, but hopefully you understand what I am asking here ;)
Many of the Realms communities (Shadowdale, for example) also seem to have "irregularly" shaped fields... which type of farm field is more common in the Realms - the "checkered-chessboard"-type or "the irregular"-type?

Best of wishes for you and the Hooded One! And thank you for the answers in advance :)

I'm not sure if you have the box set but Elminster's Ecologies box set in the Settled Lands booklet discusses the farms around the Dales, Cormyr, and Sembia.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4279 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2005 :  18:35:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
With medieval farming I can help a little, though the best answer is it depends.

It depends on the crop grown.
It depends on growing conditions.
It depends of what type of rotation plan was use (the most common were 2 field and three field systems).
It depends on if there are bee keepers.
It depends on availability of other foods (most common would be game, fish and gathered foods like nuts and berries).
It depends on taxation rates of both Lord and Church.

With all of those considerations it might have been posible for one acre to feed one adult for a year if there were no other considerations. Sometimes it would take two or more in poorer growing conditions.

The Chuch could take as much as 13 percent (tithe and first fruits), the Lord could take as much as 40 percent (not counting other fees of living) plus could require personal service for his fields.
Depending on crop grown 20 to 33 percent of crop needed to be saved for replanting. There also is wastage that could be high as well of what was retained.

" In England, the idea farm size for a family was a "yardland" (24-30 acres) in size. Only about a quarter of the English farm families had this much land (or a bit more) before the Bubonic Plague , most had ten or fewer."

The smallest farms would actually be a household garden a rood or perhaps even 1/2 a rood. Those limited by such a size of course needed to earn food/money from others.

10 acres one might be able to live off of if single or had small family. Their life would not be good, unless tax and Church levies were reduced greatly in rate.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Dec 2005 18:37:57
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  02:16:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, scribes. This time, Ed makes reply to sillaric_culdanin’s most recent query (no, he hasn’t forgotten your Earlann questions, but his answer is unavoidably delayed, for NDA reasons relating to someone else’s not-yet-written project), thus:

Hi. Coins are universally minted in the Realms by hammering metal into flat sheets and after these have cooled, cutting out coins individually by the hold-punch-in-one-hand, whack-it-with-a-hammer method. So each coin is minted by hand, and struck twice: the first punch cuts it out and puts a simple device or mark on one side (often the denomination), and the coin is later placed, already-stamped face down, with many other coins, in a wooden form: a block of wood with a row of cylindrical recesses (“holes,” but not all the way through the wood) drilled in it. A second punch is then placed on each ‘blank’ coin and struck with a hammer, to put a second face (usually a more complex design) on the coins, which are then removed from the rack, the edges buffed and the faces polished by hand, and given to the mintmaster for inspection (“rejects” are melted down immediately, as in the Realms there are no coin-collectors clamouring for rare imperfections - - instead, there are angry merchants and common folk who will report or dagger you for trying to cheat them with a “forgery” (counterfeit coin), if you hand them an imperfect coin).
This question is related to one Jamallo Kreen posted just before yours, and I’ll deal with it next time. Oh, and sillaric_culdanin: you’re very welcome. We both enjoy answering questions and hanging out with fellow gamers; long may it continue.

So saith Ed. As advertised, that answer for Jamallo next time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2393 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  07:32:02  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
What with the Last Mythal series I figured a lot of the old elven stuff is probably NDA'd (and if there's even more, that's even better), however, as I have a number of powerful, experienced, and ambitious players running around the North, any information that can slip through the NDA cracks is welcome.

I'd especially like "signs of the realms," like were included in Dwarves Deep for as many old elven realms as possible (thanks, by the way, for the Myth Drannor battle standard, it's come in handy). Since it's simple signs, it shouldn't (I sincerely hope) fall under an NDA.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  17:49:29  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

Here's another WOTC request:

"Once a month druids and clerics of Mielikki are expected to perform this ritual, the song of trees, and summon either a treant or dryad and do their bidding for a day. I really like this ritual, but has it been fleshed out in greater detail elsewhere? Is it a magical summoning? Or actually a song that dryads and treants are drawn to? If it is a spell, or magical summoning, what level is or would it be?

I don't have access to much 2nd ed stuff these days, so I wondered if anyone had the answer.

prototype00"

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  17:29:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Jamallo Kreen posted a many-faceted question for Ed about coinage, and for clarity Ed has elected to answer it point-by-point, thus:

JK: . . .what (in Earth Prime terms) are the prevailing artistic styles of the different regions of Faerun, especially on coinage?
Ed: There are many styles, as I’ve posted here and elsewhere. There are triangular coins, square coins, circular coins, and oval coins (most Faerûnian coins are actually oval), of several different metals, some pierced when minted (for stringing on rings or cords), and many pierced by merchants in practice (very few are cut in half by merchants, because only a few will be honoured as having any value when this is done). In terms of the artistic styles of what’s stamped on their faces: you can find everything in the Realms, from crude scratched numerals to detailed illustrations (though particular countries tend to cling to a consistent style, or at least “artistic level” of style, Calimshan, Sembia, Amn, Cormyr, Silverymoon, and Waterdeep having coins generally considered the artistically finest).

JK: Technologically Waterdeep seems to be comparable to mid-15th century Italy, but that doesn’t imply that its artistic style is the same.
Ed: Comparable, yes, not closely identical, and your conclusion as to artistic style is correct.

JK: Is the numismatic art of the Realms stylized, like Medieval Earth portraiture, or does it attempt to accurately render the image of each person and thing portrayed?
Ed: Some coins have simple devices on them (usually simplified heraldic badges, of the same sort emblazoned on the tunics of soldiers), some have stylized crowns with a name of a ruler under them, and a few (mainly of the realms name above, and of more valuable denominations) have sophisticated “life-like” heads, usually side profiles, like modern real-world coins.

JK: Is perspective known in Faerûnian painting, and if so, is it used throughout the Realms, or only in certain “advanced” areas?
Ed: Perspective is widely known and used across Faerûn (thanks to its long history of vigorously-travelling trading merchants), but there are more primitive artists in many villages and “backland” (aka “upcountry”) areas. Interestingly, in sophisticated locales (Aglarond, Impiltur, Unther, Mulhorand, and all of the realms and cities listed in my answers above), caricature flourishes among more naive artists (the oversized head, exaggerated physical features and facial expressions, et al). More realistic styles are appreciated, but haven’t “pushed out” more primitive ones in popularity; except among the most fashion-conscious (rich and close to power), styles in the Realms tend to co-exist right now, rather than supplanting each other.

JK: Do the various churches have rigid artistic traditions which have gone unchanged for centuries as Byzantine art was (and as Orthodox icon painting still is)?
Ed: No. The churches have holy symbols and “habits” that are valued and clung to as traditions, yes, but their art isn’t by any means rigid. Even deities that value hierarchy and control allow new expressions (so long as the actual content isn’t blasphemous: i.e. challenging holy teachings). A temple artist will usually include a motif (favourite symbol of the faith) in a painting to tell other faithful of their faith “Yes, this is indeed a painting to the glory of Tempus, painted by one who worships Tempus above all others, and meant this painting as a humble, loyal offering.” However, no temple or high priest says anything akin to: “One can only use these following symbols, or subjects, in acceptable holy paintings of the god, and can only depict them in these colours, or these situations or manners, or must submit all paintings to me or to a specific highly-ranked worshipper of the faith before they can be deemed acceptable.”
A priest who hated a painting you, a loyal worshipper, did, might say very disapprovingly, “We’ll leave this on the altar tonight to see if the god finds it pleasing; on your head be the results.” However, the priest would NEVER dare to smash, burn, or ‘vanish’ the painting (on their own) and claim the god caused that fate to befall it - - because to do so WOULD be blasphemous, and gods in the Realms are very real, apt-to-be-attentive-at-awkward-mortal-moments beings.

So saith Ed. A lovely answer, and there are more to come in the days ahead, as we charge towards 2006.
love to all!
THO
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  22:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Vangelor's Homepage Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

With medieval farming I can help a little, though the best answer is it depends.

I have a little nugget, recently gleaned, that may be of interest as well - especially to Chauntean druids or others interested in agricultural magic.

It has recently been demonstrated that a lot of ancient, "Real-World" megalithic sites are located atop geomagnetic anomalies - places where the physical rock and stone affects the electromagnetic field of the Earth in various unusual ways.

One of the effects that has been proven for these sites is that seed-grain kept there for a time demonstrates a markedly higher rate of germination and growth - more seeds sprout than ordinarily would, and they grow more healthily and more quickly.

These "ancient mystery structures" which have been linked with everything from druids to fairies to extraterrestrials certainly seem to have been used (amongst other possible purposes) to enhance crop yeild.

Translate "electromagnetic field" to "Weave", and you have an interesting model for integrating magical enhancement of crop growth in your Realms campaign.

(Ref: Seed of Knowledge, Stone of Plenty, John Burke and Kal Halberg, Council Oak Books, 2005, ISBN 978-1-57178-184-0.)

Edited by - Vangelor on 28 Dec 2005 23:10:11
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  00:19:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Dragon #124 may have a connection to THO's comments - Ed's articles: "Sailors on the Sea of Air".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  00:47:08  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message
Lovely...thank you Ed and THO ever so much for the minting question. Happy Holidays to you both and everyone else as well. Thank you most of all for not answering my Earlann queries yet...as even if it only shows up in the Last Mythal series I will still be getting more lore on Earlann in the future. Happy day!!!

Last living Paladin and Adept of the Ruby Legion of Alankier
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2005 :  01:23:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Dragon #124 may have a connection to THO's comments - Ed's articles: "Sailors on the Sea of Air".

-- George Krashos

I don't know... I didn't see anything in there that struck me as particularly "Flying Dutchman"-ish...

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000