Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  14:34:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I'm not sure if a scribe has already noted this here at Candlkeeep, but the third part of Ed's Oroon Rising is now up at WotC's Legendology website.
love,
THO

I was just going to mention that my lady .

Here's the link:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=legendology/dnd/article6

Now with Part 4:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051105a

Featuring Part 5:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051119a

So now we find Part 6:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051203a

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  18:13:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

Another request from the WOTC boards, whenever you get around to answering. :)

Can you give us any more info about the deity Besparr.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:39:31  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

THO has two jobs, one of which we can talk about a
little bit (the editing one) and another that we
can't. She went on assignment on the stay-silent job,
and got injured, and is still incommunicado, though
I've been assured she's going to be all right.

I've been away from the forum for awhile, and just read this as I was catching up. My best wishes to THO. May she make a speedy recovery from ... er ... whatever it is. :)

- RJ
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  21:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ed,

I'd appreciate some more info on Aupensser (sp?), the Jhamdaathan god who still lives. Does he have non-psionic worshippers? Non-psionic priests? Are there mortals who worship him because he is the only Faerunian god whose domain is Balance? Inquiring philosophers want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  22:29:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

Ed,

I'd appreciate some more info on Aupensser (sp?), the Jhamdaathan god who still lives. Does he have non-psionic worshippers? Non-psionic priests? Are there mortals who worship him because he is the only Faerunian god whose domain is Balance? Inquiring philosophers want to know!

Have you seen Ed Bonny's write up that didn't get included in the sourcebooks? He posted it here and it can be found in my 05 file. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 05 Dec 2005 22:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  23:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Have you seen Ed Bonny's write up that didn't get included in the sourcebooks? He posted it here and it can be found in my 05 file. :)

Mercy buckets. I shall endeavour to locate said information.

(LATER:) I found the "Monastic Servant of Auppenser" file, but it mentioned something which isn't described: the "Initiate of Auppenser" feat. Where, pray tell, is that described?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 06 Dec 2005 23:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  01:32:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Mercy buckets. I shall endeavour to locate said information.

(LATER:) I found the "Monastic Servant of Auppenser" file, but it mentioned something which isn't described: the "Initiate of Auppenser" feat. Where, pray tell, is that described?

Hmm not sure.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  04:54:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Ed,

Who the heck is Besparr?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  05:47:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Besparr, a demigod, is the "lord" of horses.

As I recall, he was first mentioned in DRAGON #54.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  06:24:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Ed,

Who the heck is Besparr?

-- George Krashos

Things you never want to see Realms lorelords say, exhibit 1.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  11:28:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Things you never want to see Realms lorelords say, exhibit 1.

Well, looks like I'll have to get downgraded a notch or three. My fault for being too lazy to check "Down-to-earth Divinity". Nice one, all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  00:58:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Mr. Ed of the Green Wood, I have a wizard character in Waterdeep who is a Renaissance Italian humanist Hermeticist pre-Tridentine Catholic. He has met deities (whom he regards as neo-Platonic "emmanations"). He is good-aligned. When he prays, which Realms deity is most likely to "hear" him? Since he worships a non-Realms deity, is he considered "faithless," or would Mystra likely summon him from the Fugue Plane? Can non-Realms deities summon petitioners from the Fugue Plane?

Mod edit: Edited for content.

Clarification after corresponding with Wooly Rupert: the character is a mage of the TSR 2nd edition A Mighty Fortress variety (with a soupcon of "Academician" from Complete Wizard's Handbook). He's an old, often-run character and I need to know how he would be received by the Powers in Faerun. He's been to other planes, but the rules in Realmspace aren't what they are on Earth or in the Plane of Concordant Opposition or suchlike places.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 10 Dec 2005 01:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  03:04:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Okay,

Knock it off guys and yes I'm removing the last two posts. I'm not removing JK's post because I feel that it's a valid question.

Edited by - Kuje on 09 Dec 2005 03:27:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  04:59:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Yep, it is a valid question. As to whether it's one that should be addressed to Ed specifically (considering that his Realms doesn't have a Fugue Plane or "faithless" or indeed, a Time of Troubles) instead of the Candlekeep community generally is one I'm not so sure about. Ed, gracious man that he is, will no doubt make an attempt.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Dec 2005 04:59:46
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  06:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yep, it is a valid question. As to whether it's one that should be addressed to Ed specifically (considering that his Realms doesn't have a Fugue Plane or "faithless" or indeed, a Time of Troubles) instead of the Candlekeep community generally is one I'm not so sure about. Ed, gracious man that he is, will no doubt make an attempt.

-- George Krashos

Im pretty sure that question has actually been answered already, I recall someone has already asked Ed this before. JK you might want to check out the "Kuje files" and see if theres answer

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  13:15:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Good point Arivia.

I'm removing the last two posts. Let's keep this scroll focused on questions for Ed guys! .

Mod Edit: Zanan's and Arivia's posts removed.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Dec 2005 13:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  14:30:06  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:

Good point Arivia.

I'm removing the last two posts. Let's keep this scroll focused on questions for Ed guys! .

Mod Edit: Zanan's and Arivia's posts removed.

I ... I was just asking when Ed and THO will be back or whether there's any more up to date info ... -_-

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  15:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ed is reading his annual Christmas story at the Port Hope Library this afternoon (he writes a new one every year, just for the occasion, and I understand plans to collect them into a book when he was enough, all royalties to be donated to the library). I'll be attending that reading (BTW, he follows famous Canadian authors Claire and Farley Mowat), and I'll ask him about THO's health and when he hopes to be back.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  22:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Thanks, Blueblade, I'm sure we'll all be grateful to know anyting you bring back.

And, while I'm here, I thought I'd add a question to the pile. I was recently (as in, it got turned in this morning), writing a paper for graduate school exploring Candlekeep and the community surrounding it. To set the proper tone, I wanted to begin with a quote from Alaundo, and was distressed to find that there really aren't any that have been published.

So I wanted to ask you if you have (or can make up) some Alaundo-isms. Things you could expect a monk of Candlekeep to say to you, or perhaps that wandering bards would know and interpret.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2005 :  23:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I have yet another series of questions I was pondering the other day...

How do drow learn about Eilistraee, if such knowledge is suppressed in drow cities/comminities (especially ones dedicated to Lolth and/or Vhaeraun)? Do those who are so inclined towards good come to some kind of deep inner understanding of Her? Or does it actually take the physical act of leaving their homes and coming to the surface and finding an Eilistraeean to talk to? Do Eilistraeeans infiltrate drow cities to try to win who they can for the faith?

How do the numbers stack: how many Eilistraeeans vs Vhaeraunites? Is Eilistraee a goddess to only a few hundred drow? If so, how does She survive if faith determines power?

And how do male Eilistraeeans deal with the idea that only females can be priests/clergy, or has this changed with 3rd Edition? (I have asked this question before and had no response so far, but it's kind of linked to my questions about the numbers of Eilistraeeans and how drow come to learn and then convert to her worship.)

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  02:11:02  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Well, we know that worship isn't the sole determinant of godly might, or Waukeen would be far greater than Mystra and Shar.

On the last point, I imagine they take it as natural, as with all the other religions where female divinities have female priests and so for male.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  09:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
The faith/power of deity relation to numbers of followers is a new thing, especially in Realms-term, as it was only cast into stone during the Time of Troubles. I reckon that 70 to 80 % of the FR drow worship the Spider Queen (in one way or another)/Zinzerena and the rest is split between Vhaeraun, Selvetarm & Eilistraee and Ghaunadaur - in that order. Just how I interprete the sourcebooks though.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 10 Dec 2005 09:26:26
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  09:53:58  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

And, while I'm here, I thought I'd add a question to the pile. I was recently (as in, it got turned in this morning), writing a paper for graduate school exploring Candlekeep and the community surrounding it. To set the proper tone, I wanted to begin with a quote from Alaundo, and was distressed to find that there really aren't any that have been published.

There are Alaundo's words from the Forgotten Realms Conspectus. The full version can be found HERE. It is a wonderful piece that should be read by all who wish to know what makes the Realms The Realms. Two passages that may aid you;

"I set down these words out of love -- love of this my world, called "Faerūn" or 'home' by folk hereabouts -- for it shall endure when you in turn have passed away, as it has bustled and sparkled and roared out the fury of its storms and earthshakings and eruptions of fire from below, while its beauties have entranced elves and dwarves and men alike these thousand years."

or

"In the end, all dreamers die, and it is the proud tasks of those scribes around me, here in Candlekeep, to see that the dreams don't die with them. For it is the doom of men that they rush about, consumed by the concerns of the moment, and forget the splendid and heroic deeds they witness along with the wisdom they have earned...and should have learned. Wherefore here in Candlekeep we keep many thick tomes -- halls upon halls of them, spell-guarded against rot and fire -- that preserve the proud sagas of the greatest world I know. A world that lies before thee, waiting."

Hope that helps,

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Greetings THO and Ed

(hope you're well soon )

I have a question for Ed which i'm not sure he will be able to answer, but here goes...

Did you and the other Sembia authors have an idea of what would be the tale told in "The Pride of the Lion"? How would Lord of Stormweather have differed if your book had been written also? I was quite sad to hear that you had to pull out of this series and would love to hear what your vision for this conclusion was.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2005 :  20:53:41  Show Profile
Ed, whenever you get to see this, Orog-Hai over at the Wizards boards was wondering what your original cosmology/multiverse for the FR was like-do you have any details you could pass along?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2005 :  22:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed doesn't have the time to provide general information that could be gathered with a little research. As I said on the wizards.com thread, I really think it's better if Orog-Hai does the research and then comes here with any remaining specific queries.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hoondatha and AJA: those Alaundo words were written by Ed. I remember the GenCon where they broke down "who wrote what" in a seminar.
Well, Ed told me at his reading (GREAT story, BTW, all about the commercialization of Christmas, literally had seniors laughing so hard they were in tears) that he's about a week away from having time to pen Candlekeep replies. This means that he'll have the novel handed in and just be killing himself churning out Realmslore web columns, DRAGON articles, and two "big projects" he can't discuss yet. So hang in there, scribes! He's almost back with us!
THO has had her surgery, is doing hard exercise to try to get back in shape after all the hospital time, and should be back home and online by the end of THIS week.
Hurrah! Hooray! (and equivalents)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2005 :  23:33:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I snagged that response and posted it on my thread on WOTC because people are probably wondering. :)

Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  04:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hi, everybody. I just ran into Ed (no, not literally) in a bank in Toronto, and he asked me what Realms characters I thought had been neglected in fiction so far.

Indeed, there's alot of characters I might think of. But the one character from Ed I would like to have more information about is the Archmage Flamsterd, mostly detailed in FR2 and Halls of the High King.
Since he's an epic character, friend of Elmister, Khelben and the Harpers, he's a good candidate to be covered further. He might even be older than Elminster since he has some doing in the curse of Skull Castle.

In fact I believe he's one of the most neglected archmage in FR Books (Unless I missed him somewhere).
I would love to know more about him, his history, his undersea realm, ( Not everyone has an Isle named after him), and of course some of his powers and all the good stuff Ed can flood us with. He do seems to be quite proficient with fire spells (His name and the Flamesterd Flamestrike spell), but he lives underwater ...

Looking from the description in Halls of the High King I do find that he is very Elminster-like though.

One more question, Flamsterd and the Harpers are quite omnipresent in the Hall of the High King module. This feel strange though since none of them appears in the 2 Moonshae trilogies. I know that Ed had to make some changes to the FR to host Douglas Niles novels, but still, it's hard to mix the two styles.
Go to Top of Page

MW Turnage
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2005 :  11:03:57  Show Profile Send MW Turnage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Hoondatha and AJA: those Alaundo words were written by Ed. I remember the GenCon where they broke down "who wrote what" in a seminar.
Well, Ed told me at his reading (GREAT story, BTW, all about the commercialization of Christmas, literally had seniors laughing so hard they were in tears) that he's about a week away from having time to pen Candlekeep replies. This means that he'll have the novel handed in and just be killing himself churning out Realmslore web columns, DRAGON articles, and two "big projects" he can't discuss yet. So hang in there, scribes! He's almost back with us!
THO has had her surgery, is doing hard exercise to try to get back in shape after all the hospital time, and should be back home and online by the end of THIS week.
Hurrah! Hooray! (and equivalents)

Thanks for the update on Ed and THO. Glad to hear she's doing better.

Mark
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000