Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  13:37:40  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
My patience has paid off! My Thanks to Ed and his lovely messenger for the reply to my Crypts question. I am sorely tempted to choose another 7-10 gods at random and ask about their burial details, but I fear my idle curiosity would never end. ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2005 :  16:56:49  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Thank you Ed and THO for your answers . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  01:29:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes.
Skeptic, Ed has run into some NDA trouble re. your Lhestyn question, but may be able to answer it in the fullness of time (so, stay tuned). As for your query: “Some months ago, I asked for updated info about the Moonsea and Ed responded that "I could only hope about".. with the Mysteries of Moonsea confirmed by R. Baker... I ask myself if Ed knew at that time or not ?”
Okay, so what does yourself answer? Inquiring minds would like to know . . . ;}

Seriously, Ed knew the Moonsea was one of the regions being considered for 3e coverage, but NOT that it was a scheduled product back then . . . because it may not have been a scheduled product back then. NDAs mean that Ed can’t reply directly to this, and won’t, until said product is published or he gets explicit permission to say more (not something he’ll ask for, or that’s likely to be granted). Skeptic, we don’t mean to tease or taunt by mentioning NDAs.
At any point in time, there are always secrets that both staffers and freelancers can’t legally reveal or discuss. I know that Ed’s sitting on some right now, just as you do, by the number of times he invokes the “NDA” acronym. I don’t know what they are, because Ed won’t tell me - - and I won’t ask. Leaking some secrets ruins careers or individual products, others cause financial or legal trouble, and some ruin the fun for all of us. Sigh.
Oh, yes, and another sigh: as I warned earlier, Ed will be offline and incommunicado for the next three days or more. He’ll return as soon as he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  05:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Greetings

I have finally finished reading all of the past replies of Ed, and some of my questions have been answered, and a few more have arisen. Here we go:

1. Divine manifestations. In a previous post, it was remarked, possibly by THO in a Knights campaign, that when a person pleaded with a deity for guidance, an item or object would glow, or an ghostly shape would appear to the person, etc. How rare does this occur, and what sort of assistance would be normally given? Is it always a glow leading the way, or are other forms of manifestations possible?

2. Chapbooks and Books. Again in an earlier post, it was mentioned also that chapbooks are coverless (I can assume that the regular books have covers on them?) and only have a few pages within. You listed them as two kinds of books: lurid gossip and riders containing serializations of stories. However, I find mention in the books that chapbooks seem to also refer to .... cheesy romance novels? Is there anything else included within the chapbook description? Are travel or bardic song/story books popular also?

3. Signposts. In the last story of the Best of Eddie, you have Ghalasteer hanging a sign on a signpost inside of Hultail. What sort of signposts are these, and does every town in Cormyr/Sembia/Dales have something similar? I would not expect a normal "Here is Hultail, Population 127", but would it indicate instead the direction of nearby towns instead (the equivilant of road signs; this direction toward Suzail, etc)? Also, would there be anything in a town to hang official notices from, besides signposts?

4. Reactions from people towards Drow. In some of the stories, people in cities don't react too strangely towards Drow (Waterdeep, the mention of worshippers of Eilistraee dancing in a festhall in Suzail). I would not expect that same attitude in the countryside, nor in every city. How varied is the reaction towards Drow in Cormyr, Sembia, and Dalelands?

I have many more, Cormyr specific questions (though I wonder if Garen Thal is the one to ask, sometimes) that I will save for a later post.

Thanks to Ed and The Enticing Enchantress of the Realms

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  06:21:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

1. Divine manifestations. In a previous post, it was remarked, possibly by THO in a Knights campaign, that when a person pleaded with a deity for guidance, an item or object would glow, or an ghostly shape would appear to the person, etc. How rare does this occur, and what sort of assistance would be normally given? Is it always a glow leading the way, or are other forms of manifestations possible?

This question can be answered by turning to the trio of 2E deity books: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. These three books are the best sources for lore regarding the deities of the Realms -- save for Ed himself, of course.

The description of each deity includes a list of their many manifestations. And there are a great many, taking myriad forms. A manifestation can be a gentle breeze, the sudden blooming of a flower, having a rock fall on your head, a divine servant popping in and saying "Well met!", a far-off horn call, finding a particular object on the ground, getting a nifty idea out of the blue... Each deity has many different ways of showing pleasure, displeasure, or offering assistance. There's simply too many to list here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Oct 2005 06:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  11:59:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

This question can be answered by turning to the trio of 2E deity books: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. These three books are the best sources for lore regarding the deities of the Realms -- save for Ed himself, of course.

The description of each deity includes a list of their many manifestations. And there are a great many, taking myriad forms. A manifestation can be a gentle breeze, the sudden blooming of a flower, having a rock fall on your head, a divine servant popping in and saying "Well met!", a far-off horn call, finding a particular object on the ground, getting a nifty idea out of the blue... Each deity has many different ways of showing pleasure, displeasure, or offering assistance. There's simply too many to list here.

Although it requires a bit more work, a list of these manifestations can also be found in one of the Faiths and Pantheons web enhancements.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  17:41:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Although it requires a bit more work, a list of these manifestations can also be found in one of the Faiths and Pantheons web enhancements.

Ah, yes, in the Deities Do's & Don'ts pdf. Here's a direct link to the download: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Dos_Donts.zip

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2005 :  23:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Thanks ...

That is one down, and just a few more to go. I don't have the older stuff (I joined with 3E) so I am still gathering some missing details.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  04:36:44  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
Skeptic, Ed has run into some NDA trouble re. your Lhestyn question, but may be able to answer it in the fullness of time (so, stay tuned).

Ok, I'll wait for the secrets of the masked lady :)

quote:
Seriously, Ed knew the Moonsea was one of the regions being considered for 3e coverage, but NOT that it was a scheduled product back then . . .

That's what I tought...

My only remaining question for Ed is about the Roaring Dragon House now (I think..).

Edited by - Skeptic on 28 Oct 2005 04:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Cainan
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2005 :  12:20:58  Show Profile  Visit Cainan's Homepage Send Cainan a Private Message
Hello all. I'm new to Candlekeep and was sent here because of a question I had over on the Forgotten Realms boards at the WotC site and a few said to come here and see if maybe Mr. Greenwood would know the answer, or could give some sort of info on what's going on.

Ok, basically I am trying to figure out some info on good drow. I've been trying to find any info I can on good drow and with the new interest among some drow to come to the surface which leads more to the idea of turning to Eilistraee, it got me wondering. Durring the Crown Wars, the dark elves were said to inhabit both Ilythiir and Miyeritar. I'm not sure how many other tribes of dark elves there were, as I haven't seen any other info. But basically, when the Crown Wars were happening and after the Vyshaan created the Dark Disaster over Miyeritar. It was said that a few good dark elf wizards entered the heart of the storm to try and dispell it, but never returned. Now, I am curious. Did all the dark elves of Miyeritar perish in the Dark Disaster? Did some escape? Were there other tribes? So this leads to my main question really. When the Ilythiiri were cursed and banished by the Seldarine, what came of the other tribes of dark elves? Were there just no other dark elf tribes alive but the Ilythiiri? If they did manage to survive and were not apart of the curse, since they didn't actually turn to Lolth, what happened to them? Is it possible that there are good dark elf groups that live throughout Faerun that have never been cursed? It seems there would maybe have to be something, or else Eilistraee would have practically no followers except for the few renegades.

Also, I have read at a place or two on a timeline that at some point, there was a group of non-evil drow that lived somewhere in Cormanthyr, but somewhat hidden and they aided the non-drow in a few battles against the evil drow, but were mostly wiped out by the evil drow eventually. Could these possibly be good drow leftover from the Crown Wars, or would they be renegades? Or am I just way off? Mostly I am asking here cause really, nobody could answer the question and apparently some "couldn't" answer the question for other reasons. Is there some sort of product in the works dealing somewhat with this topic? And I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I just have not been able to find any info on this and I was told to come here to maybe fill in the pieces of my puzzle. I'm not sure if this is really a question for Mr. Greenwood or maybe one of the other authors who focus more on the elves, but I figured if anyone knew, Mr. Greenwood would. So thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

CorranH
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  04:18:24  Show Profile  Visit CorranH's Homepage Send CorranH a Private Message
I also posted the below in the DM forum. But I discovered this forum and since the questions below pertain to books by Mr. Greenwood, I hope you won't mind me posting the same questions here.

I will be starting a new Forgotten Realms campaign soon and it will be set in the Western Heartlands. To be precise in a village (of my own making) on the south bank of the River Reaching, upstream of Hill’s Edge. The campaign will start somewhere around 1366 DR and (hopefully) last at least until 1373 DR.

I’ve been reading up on the area in all the books I have (most of all the published FR material), and a few questions remain. I hope someone more knowledgeable than me in FR canon can help me with these.

Skull Gorge is just upstream and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about it. All books tell about it being the final stand after the Battle of Bones (the best source: Elminster’s Ecologies). However, some state that since the gorge has been empty, home to goblinoids, home to monsters (either of the last 2 options in some cases under Zhent control) or, hinted at in the 3rd Edition FRCS, fiends. The Tashara of the Seven Skulls article (Dragon 206, page 76) says one of the seven skulls resides there with a number of monsters. All this can’t quite be explained by it being in a certain chronological order. If anyone could shine some light on this that would be much appreciated.

Also, on one of the maps of the Interactive Atlas it shows something called the ‘Misty Stair’ just downstream of the Skull Gorge. It’s very likely this is a waterfall; however I can find no reference at all to this in any book. Anyone know where I can find any information?

Forgotten Realms Adventures, page 121: ‘Zhent “Long Road to Riches:” a controlled caravan route from Zhentil Keep to the Sword Coast, via the Tesh valley, Daggerdale, the Stonelands, the Desertsedge and Goblin Marches, Yellow Snake Pass (guarded by the great Zhentarim fortress of Darkhold), Skull Gorge, Dawn Pass, Llorkh, Loudwater, and the River Delimbiyr.

Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast, page 123; ‘Feuding tribes of giants dwell in the Hill of Lost Souls and the Battle of Bones (two craggy areas named for past human struggles). The giants battle endlessly over the rolling grasslands between the two areas.’

So, how do the Zhent on their ‘Long Road’ get past the giants, since it seems to be directly in their path? Do they pay the giants to leave them alone, have they dominated them? Skirting around them seems unlikely. BTW, on the new 3rd edition map, the Skull Gorge ends pointing south, below the Hill of Lost Souls, making the ‘Long Road’ even crazier. Is the Trade Way really that dangerous to take for them?

The FRCS, page 225 says about the Zhents in Yellow Snake Pass; ‘until early in 1372 DR., when Thayan wizards and mercenaries from Hill's Edge drove the patrols into cavern shelters in the Underdark. For the moment, Yellow Snake Pass is free.’

The Bane – Cyric strife within the Zhents had already made me decide that Darkhold (being Cyricist controlled) has split from the ‘Eastern’ Zhents in all but name. The 3rd edition books aren’t quite clear if this split is a reality. The question that comes to mind is; if Darkhold is alone now and no longer receiving caravans from Zhentil Keep (they focus on the Dark Road) what are they going to do? They have no industry, so caravans (and smuggling) to the Sword Coast seems unlikely. What will be their focus?

Also, what is the weather like in this region? I like the weather table they used in the Silver Marches supplement; I might use the River Valley entry from it, but might that be a bit too cold?

Finally question (I see I have rambled quite a bit already); what kind of fish would be found in the River Reaching between Hill’s Edge and Skull Gorge?

Thanks.

Edited by - CorranH on 30 Oct 2005 17:41:26
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  19:01:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Lore indicates all dark elves, good and Evil were subjected to the Desent and became Drow. That said it does appear posible some returned to the surface. The histor does indicate that Good Drow aided the surface elves and at one time held what is now known as the Twisted Tower. There indeed are good elves that live in Cormanthyr, some in disquise within cities others in wooded areas.

The Darl Disaster does not say every Green and dark elf was killed, just most of them.

To add another question.

Is there an official Drow alphabet (as in a character set of letters?
If so where might it be found?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  14:53:37  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Lore indicates all dark elves, good and Evil were subjected to the Descent and became Drow.
Looks like the Seldarine aren`t keen on the precision department.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Cainan
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  17:02:55  Show Profile  Visit Cainan's Homepage Send Cainan a Private Message
Ok, recently I did find some updated info stating that all dark elves were effected by the curse (my Lost Empires of Faerun book was missing a couple pages lol). And yes, the Seldarine didn't do a very good precision job. They just kinda threw out a big ball of curse and hit every dark elf. But the main reason for my qestion was recently when I was asking for some similar info over at the FR boards, I got the impression that perhaps a new book was coming out in the future detailing this, as I believe one writer said they were unable to answer at this time. Which also got me wondering if it had to do with some of the elf stuff Mr. Greenwood hinted at a while back and would not go into detail on. So anyway, others sent me to here to ask. But I suppose I shall just have to wait and see if there is a future product that will detail this.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  17:46:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
The sense I got from that material (and therefore the way I've ruled it in my games, though this might be completely wrong) is that all dark elves were transformed into the current drow coloration (shades of grey to black and white), but only the dark elves of Ilythiir got the full effect, fled the surface, and became drow. The others just went into hiding.

Of course, the fact that I've created a hidden nation of Miyeritar survivors might have influenced this just a bit... :)

But we should probably take this over to another thread, instead of clogging Ed's.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Borch
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  20:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Borch's Homepage Send Borch a Private Message
Greetings,

back after a long time to pose yet more questions, having made great use of Ed's last Shavinar-answer, for which I was - and am - greatly thankful.

Here come the new questions:

The first concerns once again, at least peripherally, Baldur's Gate, and I hope they won't fall under NDAs' sway.

I'd like to know all there is to know about the archmage Briel, his daughter Brielbara and the School of the Arcane. Apart from Eric Boyd's writeup on Aumvor, and Pages from the Mages, I know no other source on these. Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

The second question concerns the Wizard of the Crag, who seemed to elude my notice until Serpent Kingdoms. I'm very much interested in his past up to his catacalsmic demise described in the book.

That's it for now.

Ever-patient greetings from Germany

Sprich aus der Ferne,
heimliche Welt,
die sich so selten
zu mir gesellt
Go to Top of Page

daarkknight
Seeker

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:06:35  Show Profile Send daarkknight a Private Message
I hope that Ed, or maybe even any other esteemed keeper of Cormyrean lore can answer this question.

I'm currently running a campaign set in Cormyr at the time that the Shades reappear in Faerun. I'm intending to have them assist Cormyr and its' allies in hunting down information, relics, and magic items that they feel that Shade may be interested in, if only to keep it away from them. I've been looking at the various books to see what towns, cities, other places of interest from both Netheril and Anauria are close in location to the current Cormyrean borders.

In looking at the maps of the Anauroch from the old FR13 supplement, and overlaying (or underlaying as the case may be) them over the maps from the Netheril boxed set and have discovered a few places that overlap well with each other. But one of greater interest is that of Tilverton.

Overlaying the maps, I noticed that Tilverton seems to have been built exactly where the Netherese military outpost of Blister was located, though Blister was built up in the mountainsides. Reading up on Tilverton again, I came across the fact of the human and elven settlement that grew up around the keep of Tilvara.

What I'm wondering is, with the maps correlating so much as far as location, though Blister is described as having been swallowed up by the desert, is if there is something of Tilverton having been built upon some of the ruins of Blister? Also, does anyone know of the dates to which the settlement near Tilvara's keep was around?

Thanks to any and all answers!

Daarkknight

"That's it!"
Quote attributed to Talor Stormhammer, paladin of Helm, when fighting a frost giant.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  01:28:43  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

Did you create the rules that govern that when two elves of different subraces come together and procreate, that the children take the traits of one parent or the other? I know that this first appeared in the Gray Box, but I didn't know the source of the rule. Thank you much.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  02:00:17  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message
Greetings, O Lady from the 'Hood. I've a few inquiries, so I'll keep things short (Not your prfererence, I know, but we do what we can with what the gods give us).

1) Is there any common organization for the fey of Faerun? Do they have a leader? How do the different races interact? How do druids rank within fey society? How about half-breeds? Any random fey details would be useful.

2) Are magical items created by priests any different than those of arcane origins? Specifically, if an item blessed by a benign clergy falls into the hands of an evil priest or person, will the deity care, or even take steps to get it back? I don't necessarily mean artifacts or major devices; would, for example, a Selunite-forged sword falling into a Malarite's hands cause consequences?

3) This question may have been answered already, but does incarnum have a place in the Realms? If so, how does it relate to magic in general? Is it like psionics, in that it doesn't require divine intervention/approval to use, or does Mystra or another deity control it?

Thanks in advance to The HO.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  04:49:43  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Hello,

Blister was covered in the Dungeon adventure The Door to Everywhere in Dungeon #88. It is located near the Moonsea Ride in the Thunder Peaks.

Mkhaiwati

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Borch

I can take a whack at these ...

quote:
I'd like to know all there is to know about the archmage Briel, his daughter Brielbara and the School of the Arcane. Apart from Eric Boyd's writeup on Aumvor, and Pages from the Mages, I know no other source on these. Any help is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Aside from Champions of Ruin, the original reference to Briel comes from Pages from the Mages, page 26. The original reference to Brielbara comes from a 1-liner in Forgotten Realms Adventures, page 76. No other known sources.

quote:
The second question concerns the Wizard of the Crag, who seemed to elude my notice until Serpent Kingdoms. I'm very much interested in his past up to his catacalsmic demise described in the book.

The Marsh of Chelimber write-up in Serpent Kingdoms is built from the following sources: Elminster’s Ecologies: The Serpent Hills, page 28, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: A Grand Tour of the Realms, pages 88-89, 97, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting: Cyclopedia of the Realms, pages 59-60, Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast, page 89, 136.

Dunkapple Castle is discussed in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, page 224 and Volo’s Guide to the Sword Coast, page 136.

I think you'll find all the past references to the Wizard of the Crag therein.

--Eric

PS Note there's a timeline screw-up in SK regarding the Principality of Boareskyr. If George sees this, I'm sure he can remind me what was wrong and what we worked out should have been changed.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 02 Nov 2005 17:02:01
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  22:51:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Oh yeah, I forgot about those "Serpent Kingdoms" lore errata. I'll have to get them into a proper semblance of order. Consider it on the List of things to do.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  20:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Greetings again, Ed and the Lady Hooded One!

Today I'm curious about hurricanes in the Realms... I just came thru yet another one, and it got me to thinking about these storms in the Realms...

So, do parts of the Realms see hurricanes? What parts? How often? Do certain mages or priests get any kind of warning? Have been any particularly destructive ones?

And if Ed wants, he could add tornados to that. :)

Actually, I'd like to add on to this request as well.

I'd like to know about earthquakes in the Realms... Specifically, their occurences, any important or destructive quakes that have happened in the past which may not have been mentioned in the canon material?

I'm assuming there may have been the odd one which wasn't caused by geological instability...

Forgive me for throwing my two danters at something which may have already been answered, but this morning I ran across an adventure seed in Lost Empires of Faerun which speaks directly to the question: it's "Volcanic Countdown" on page 94. Vulcanism in the High Forest region is likely related to the same geologic phenomena which created Neverwinter's volcano, whose name, unfortunately, escapes me at the moment, but which may be familiar to a lot of PCs. (Fortunately I was wearing boots at the time I ran across this seed, so it hurt very little.)

DMs who want to create an apocalyptic volcanic event should look for the "Nova" episode "Volcano Under the City," which describes the perils facing Goma, DR Congo. A"dead" city which was struck by a CO2 cloud could be far scarier than evidence of a demonic incursion in the city: hundreds, possibly thousands of bodies of humans, animals, and monsters, all just dead of no apparent cause, dropped in their tracks. (Insert creepy Theramin music.)

ADDED 5 November: In Unnapproachable East it is stated that earthquakes occur at Rashemen's old battlefields, too.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 05 Nov 2005 23:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  22:01:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, Ed & THO!

Please forgive me if this has been answered already, but what (in Earth Prime terms) are the prevailing artistic styles of the different regions of Faerun, especially on coinage? Technologically Waterdeep seems to be comparable to mid-15th century Italy, but that doesn't imply that it's artistic style is the same.

I am not unfamiliar with numismatic art history, and know that a dramatic change took place in Earth's 15th century, from cartoonish full-face images to (presumably) accurate "Renaissance" portraiture. (The coinage of England from the Wars of the Roses to Henry VII Tudor is splendidly illustrative of the change-over.) Is the numismatic art of the Realms stylized, like Medieval Earth portraiture, or does it attempt to accurately render the image of each person and thing portrayed?

Is perspective known in Faerunian painting, and if so, is it used throughout the Realms, or only in certain "advanced" areas?

Do the various churches have rigid artistic traditions which have gone unchanged for centuries as Byzantine art was (and as Orthodox icon painting still is)?

Painting (portraiture in particular) is fairly important in my campaign, and I am very interested to hear what El has told Ed on this subject.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  21:27:53  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,

I have another query (please accept this as a *BUMP* for my Earlann queries of a couple months ago also ), this time regarding how coins are minted in the Realms. Do any major powers utilize any steam or magic powered machinery to mass-mint coins or are they cast by hand? Thats it...thank you both once again for your tireless hard-work and support of the gaming community.

Last living Paladin and Adept of the Ruby Legion of Alankier

Edited by - sillaric_culdanin on 04 Nov 2005 21:28:42
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  15:36:26  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Placing yet another request for lore on the ever growing pile of endless questions:

In Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast on Asbravn (page 149), a nomad people are mentioned: The Horsemen. Volo's writing suggests that these people either left for Tunland or for the Savage North. Do these people belong to the Talfir (see LEoF), or are they yet another group?
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  17:57:32  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Oh, I'll add one more... A little while ago the topic of horse breeds came up in this thread. The Asbravn article in VGttSC mentions a breed of long-horned horses being bred in the region. Has this been further detailed, or did it die out - as in a breeding experiment which ended?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  05:57:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm not sure if a scribe has already noted this here at Candlkeeep, but the third part of Ed's Oroon Rising is now up at WotC's Legendology website.
love,
THO

I was just going to mention that my lady .

Here's the link:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=legendology/dnd/article6

Now with Part 4:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fict/20051105a

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  07:22:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Oh, yes, and another sigh: as I warned earlier, Ed will be offline and incommunicado for the next three days or more. He’ll return as soon as he can.
love,
THO

Hmm its been around 10 days since The Hooded one made this post... If they dont come back soon then theres going to be several Candlekeep scribes needing visit Realmlore Anonymous!!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  07:51:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

love,
THO

Hmm its been around 10 days since The Hooded one made this post... If they dont come back soon then theres going to be several Candlekeep scribes needing visit Realmlore Anonymous!!

I know! I was just thinking this earlier and I started twitchin. :) Especially since I'm also waiting to hear back from them about something else.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000