Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  01:23:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My brother-in-law is swedish and he reckons that the norwegians have sideways crude oil drilling pumps (ala Monty Burns in the Simpsons) and are stealing all of Sweden's oil! Not that the swedes are paranoid about Norway or anything ...

-- George Krashos

Of course! That's why all our oil-findings never result in enough oil to produce petrol for even the smallest of SAABs.
And of course we're paranoid about them. They're ...norwegian

And no need for the staff Alaundo. My next post here will be a question for Ed. I Promise

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  03:16:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed’s reply to Elfinblade. BTW, Elfinblade, no apologies necessary. I wasn’t chiding you, just putting you in the picture about how long replies from Ed will necessarily take. And this reply from Ed landed in my e-mail right now by sheer coincidence. I give you the words of Ed:

You pose questions dealing with three matters, so let’s charge right in . . .

1. The return of Bane. As I’ve said before, I’d love to write a novel about the return of Bane, or see a novel written by someone else who I think can properly handle Bane himself (and yes, Jim Lowder would be my first choice, and a superb one), published. However, Wizards seems uninterested in this (yes, I’ve asked, several times, and so have lots of GenCon attendees, over the years), and the best time for such a novel to appear is past. It should have been a “right after the 3rd Edition FRCS” blockbuster.
So yes, I believe the FRCS entry is all you’re going to get for now. I’m hoping that in the context of publishing some lore about the various priesthoods in the Realms, we can sneak in some additional coverage of this - - but of course it’ll be a “possibly distorted by doctrine” version, not a “you the reader are there and so KNOW all of this to be true” viewpoint. Like the slaying of Leira, this was a topic initially ‘off limits’ because of the old TSR Code of Ethics (couldn’t show evil succeeding, and there’s no greater success for evil than godslaying, after all - - regardless of the nature of the deity), and probably makes some game company execs very uneasy because of the American Religious Right’s likely reaction if they get word of such a topic.

2. Halaster after ELMINSTER IN HELL. His fate, current status and sanity, and the consequences of this have already been asked about at GenCons, here at Candlekeep, and elsewhere. All I can say about this subject right now is: sorry, NDAs forbid. Yes, I agree that this is a crucial event, and yes, I agree (hint hint) that there SHOULD be at least one novel published covering this.

3. The Waterdeep novel, CITY OF SPLENDORS, is a bit past the “supposedly” written stage. Elaine Cunningham and I are co-writing this book as equals, it’s written to be a standalone book (although I’ve seen one cover mockup that implies it’s been ‘put’ into the Cities series) although it could spawn sequels, the Prologue is set at the time of the Threat From The Sea and the rest of the book is current Realms time, its action geograpically leaves Waterdeep only VERY fleetingly, and it primarily concerns new characters. As for the issues it raises, I’ll have to direct you to other threads here at Candlekeep, specifically the one where THO posted endless teases from me as to “what you’ll see” in this forthcoming book. I won’t be more specific than that, I’m afraid. Book contracts have their own NDA restraints, and if you read all the teases I’ve already let slip, you should have more than enough to keep you happy.
Oh, well, let me relent a little and say you’ll see: fighting on the walls of Waterdeep (and more fighting in the alleys, and still more fighting a little deeper), nobles playing pranks (and paying prices), merchants getting uppity, servants getting even more uppity, a night in the City of the Dead, bits and pieces of a lot of monsters, romance, self-sacrifice, the goings-on at two large revels, Piergeiron being tender, Mirt being his usual rip-roaring self, a cult at work, deception among friends, coaches racing through the streets, the harbor aflame, someone at a club bringing down the house, someone else who usually goes by a nickname having something to do with snakes, a half-ogre swiping a drink, and . . . well, that should be enough for ANY novel. Oh, yes, I almost forgot to mention a brief scene or two at a place called Candlekeep.
Elaine and I had so much fun writing this that it’s probably going to take us both months to recover.

So saith Ed. Whose last line somehow makes doing a collaborative novel sound a bit like mud-wrestling . . . hmmm . . . no, let us go there NOT.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  05:45:16  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
Lovely Hooded One,

Another question for Master Greenwood.

Ed,

A couple of questions about Sylune. One of which is weird. But you'll have that.

First, what is it like for Sylune when she's inhabiting one of the cloned bodies that have been made for her? Is it just like being in her old body? Are her senses the same? Can she eat and drink? Any information that comes to mind about this would be of interest to me.

Second, if you were chatting with a decent fellow who had met Sylune and wanted to date her - what advice would you give? :) Does romance still interest Sylune?

Regards,
- S
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  11:23:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity

Second, if you were chatting with a decent fellow who had met Sylune and wanted to date her - what advice would you give? :) Does romance still interest Sylune?

Regards,
- S

Dating a ghost? Now that's an interesting concept...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  13:28:50  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
originally posted by Mr.Greenwood
quote:
Yes, I agree that this is a crucial event, and yes, I agree (hint hint) that there SHOULD be at least one novel published covering this.

Fingers crossed!

And another question:
How many gods were there in you original campaing? Your very first fraft of the FR? Which god was the first to appear to you, and to the players? And how many gods came to be along the years. Were some gods created by the staff of TSR, or WotC?
And finally, a rather trivial query; Which one is your fave?
My personal favourite has to be Torm. Not because i agree with many of his principles, but rather his commanding presence (like when he walked into cyrics domain and chided him! ) and unrelenting persona. And on a close second, comes Bane.

originally posted by Kajehase
quote:
And of course we're paranoid about them. They're ...norwegian

As well you should be! Beware, søta bror, the vikings are just across the hill!

No seriously, swedes are allright..if a bit..blond.. just kidding.
Regarding the Simpsons episode with the diagonal oil drilling.. MAN that was a fun episode!
originally posted by Montgomery Burns
quote:
Excellent

Edited by - Elfinblade on 21 Jan 2005 13:31:58
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  18:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Dating a ghost? Now that's an interesting concept...
Gotta run . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  02:04:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed’s replies to a whole bunch of scribes:

Sorry, Verghityax, your Baldur’s Gate query about the Knights of the Shield headquarters is RIGHT in the middle of a specific NDA prohibition. I must remain silent on this matter.

In like manner, Kentinal, NDA reasons keep me from identifying the father of Laeral’s daughter Maura: this isn’t my tale to tell (hint, hint). Sorry.

And to The Sage, I regret to reply that current developments concerning life in the Abbey of the Just Hammer in Tasseldale is also NDA-silenced on my part.

Gee, this is “just saying no” business is swift and easy. I wish it was a little more fun.

Kajehase, like the Lords Who Sleep used to be, in neighbouring Cormyr, Aencar will start to take on the role of a future “Faerûnian version of King Arthur (in a few hundred years FR-time that is) with legends and stories cropping up around him.” Giving DMs a wonderfully evocative ‘lever’ to use in many ways, I hope.

Lord Rad, the Monastery of the Yellow Rose was created by Bob Salvatore for his Cleric Quintet series (the Cadderly books), and written up (by him) in game form in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands.

Dargoth, I don’t believe the time is yet right to specifically identify the “doomed Chosen” Mystra intended Sammaster to replace; that’s “back story” that may or may not get told, but for me to say something now would ruin things and shift the possible tale forever into the “not get told” category. So let’s just say that divers scribes have pointed out to you the larger-than-we-all-think roster of Chosen (implication: there may well be MORE Chosen of Mystra that none of us have ever heard about yet), and that Mystra (being divine) can “look down the road” better and more keenly than we mortals can.

So saith Ed. Striding through scribes’ scrolls of inquiry with the same swift gusto Mirt used to enjoy the charms of willing lowcoin lasses . . .
Though (thankfully) exhibiting a rather different technique.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:11:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

In like manner, Kentinal, NDA reasons keep me from identifying the father of Laeral’s daughter Maura: this isn’t my tale to tell (hint, hint). Sorry.

*nods* It is OK, though fulls speculation of the farther.

*Starts to build an NDA busters* Creation time 1,000 days. I suspect the tale teller will only tell when desired to tell, though I will consider asking those that know for early knowlwdge.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hints? Is this something we can expect to see in an uncoming novel about a city known for its many splendors?

quote:

Kajehase, like the Lords Who Sleep used to be, in neighbouring Cormyr, Aencar will start to take on the role of a future “Faerûnian version of King Arthur (in a few hundred years FR-time that is) with legends and stories cropping up around him.” Giving DMs a wonderfully evocative ‘lever’ to use in many ways, I hope.

Speaking of the Lords Who Slept, is there any thoughts of doing the Lords Who Sleep version 2.0?

quote:

Lord Rad, the Monastery of the Yellow Rose was created by Bob Salvatore for his Cleric Quintet series (the Cadderly books), and written up (by him) in game form in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands.

Whoa, he wrote that up that much in advance of the publication of the Cleric Quintet? FR9 was one of the first (if not the first) Realms supplements I ever bought.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  03:27:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

And another question:
How many gods were there in you original campaing? Your very first fraft of the FR? Which god was the first to appear to you, and to the players? And how many gods came to be along the years. Were some gods created by the staff of TSR, or WotC?
And finally, a rather trivial query; Which one is your fave?
My personal favourite has to be Torm. Not because i agree with many of his principles, but rather his commanding presence (like when he walked into cyrics domain and chided him! ) and unrelenting persona. And on a close second, comes Bane.

I'll refer you to one of Ed's early Dragon magazine articles: "Down-to-Earth Divinity," in issue 54.

Also, an interesting note from a while ago, about my fave Realms deity, Lurue:

quote:
Well met again, all. Your Lady Hooded One returns (thank you for that naming, Wooly Rupert!), with Ed’s latest:

Hi, Wooly Rupert. Well, now: Nobanion and Lurue are, of course, the Lion and the Unicorn of British nursery rhyme fame (with all the meanings that go with that, too; they are among other things the supporters of the royal coat of arms for that country, and in many other coats of arms associated with England).
Yet they’re also MUCH more than that. For me, I have to be able to imagine a deity with some awe, and I often do it by attaching to them emotions evoked by other fiction. So, the Lion is also Aslan the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Christian allegorical fantasy classics soon to appear in a Disney movie that * might * turn out to be okay, and already on film in any number of BBC adaptations down the years, some of them superb). The Narnia books are hated by some, loved by others, but chock-full of little heart-wrenching scenes regardless, and are among the top-selling English-language fiction books of all time.
I didn’t mean my lion-god to BE Aslan, of course; as you saw in that DRAGON article, a lot of names were placeholders at the time, waiting for Mr. Gygax to round out the “official” (Greyhawk) pantheon. Aslan has that name because he has evoke that “awe” for me. The name “Aslan” is Indian in origin (India, not native North American), and the lion is of course a Christian symbol for ‘the King’ from way back, hence its lavish use in royal heraldry.
So “Aslan” went away the moment TSR decided to publish the Realms (mustn’t lift central characters from other authors, even in homage, though I did unwittingly [i.e. I’d forgotten] sneak one direct homage into the Realms [Aglarond, for Tolkien], and beat another well-known fantasy author to a name by coincidence, coining the name “Ashaba” for the river that runs through Shadowdale years before David Eddings used it in his Malloreon books).
Lurue is my own invented name, but it started almost as the deity’s ‘private’ name, with “Silverymoon” being her popular one (and, yes, the city of the same name was originally envisaged as the root and center of her faith). Not only is Lurue the Unicorn of “the Lion and the Unicorn,” she’s also the mysterious, eponymous unicorn from the children’s book THE LITTLE WHITE HORSE by Elizabeth Goudge, AND she’s also meant to evoke the Unicorn of Amber, in Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber books (where the Unicorn inspires awe even among the jaded royal family who use her as their badge). She was always meant to be mysterious, and there’s very little about her that didn’t go into POWERS & PANTHEONS that doesn’t now contradict the published Realms.
Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.
The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.
Now, as for the Knights of the Unicorn, I do have more, but dare not pass it on right now for fear of trampling on something another creative person is already working on, in the Realms. That’s one rule I’m going to be very careful not to break, no matter how much we all want to delve into lore and secrets of the Realms. So: sorry, and I hope you’ll understand.

So saith Ed. Thy Hooded One can add this much: we Knights met Lurue once, in the High Forest, on the banks of the Unicorn Run. She was dancing on her hind legs on empty air, about forty feet off the ground, in full silvery moonlight -- and we all grovelled. She LOOKED into our eyes, each of us -- and Ed had written out long, detailed notes for each of us for the dream-visions we received then. When we awakened, we were all reinvigorated, healed of all hurts, had maximum charges in all of our magic items, and so on. The one virgin among us (no, I’m not going to name her, but it wasn’t my character, all you guessers) had been touched by Lurue’s horn, and her eyes were two flames of silver fire. Also, her hair had gone silver and moved constantly by itself, as if waves of wind were passing through it. She gained feather fall and water walk innate abilities on the spot, and ironguard as long as the silver fire was in her. It remained with her as we travelled, until we had to fight a certain archdevil in Myth Drannor.
In that encounter, we were overwhelmed by devils and were going down, just being buried in numbers. The archdevil saw the silver fire and went straight for the particular Knight, and after they’d started to fight and the character was being badly mauled, the player (thank whatever gods there be) REMEMBERED Ed’s notes of her dream-vision, and what she had to do. She fled onto the altar beside the devil (that was also a gate into the Nine Hells), and when the archdevil attacked her there, she embraced it and let it slay her.
And her silver fire went BLAM and took out altar, gate, archdevil, and all the other devils within a MILE, leaving all of us Knights lying dazed, unscathed, and alive . . . except she who’d sacrificed herself. She was gone forever.
And at that moment, far away in Shadowdale, Storm Silverhand was helping a farm wife give birth to her first child, a girl—and it came out stillborn. Storm raised the tiny body to make absolutely sure before she wrapped it and turned to comfort the mother . . . and its eyes opened, and they were silver and knowing, and the mind of our lost Knight was in the now-living child and wondering how by Lurue to tell Storm who she was.
Hmm. I’m crying again, just remembering it.
Another of Ed’s beautiful little moments, that will make me treasure our Realmsplay forever.

Ladies and gentlesirs, I give you: the Realms!
The Hooded One

And a couple other bits:

quote:
Kuje, please tell Monsoon that in the days when I rounded out my pantheon and then wrote that article, darn near every writer for DRAGON was trying to make everything fit the existing rules (which Gary Gygax, Jim Ward, and other staffers were expanding almost monthly in DRAGON articles of their own). There were no ‘competing worlds’ then, and everyone was trying to add little embellishments to the ever-growing castle of rules, not “fix” or challenge any part of it. Gary had used Tyr of the real-world deities, and my article was intended to show one DM’s underlying assumptions about the gods, and how that would inevitably shape the pantheon. As part of it, and drawing on the Deities & Demigods rulebook, I wanted to present other examples of incorporating real-world deities, such as Mielikki. To underscore the “multiple worlds linked by gates” concept that gives the Forgotten Realms its name (that we here in the real world used to travel back and forth between Earth and the Realms and other places, and that dragons and the like also made such trips, hence our legends of them, but that we have now “forgotten” the ways to get back and forth), I wanted deities from our world venerated in the Realms. Afraid of lawsuits if real people tried to do things from the game and got hurt, TSR downplayed the entire “close ties with the real world” aspect of the Realms, though the multiple worlds crept back in later, in both Planescape and Spelljammer: I postulated that the gates were forgotten because various power groups ended up controlling them (killing beings who used them without permission), and that a logical place for adventuring play for high-level, long-lasting campaigns to go would be to join in these battles for control of gates (3e: “portals”) and get involved in planar politics. The smattering of real-world deities was part of this.
The importation of Oriental and Egyptian pantheons into the Realms occurred later, and was done by TSR designers trying to make the Realms a welcome setting for all sorts of play (Wanna be a gladiator? A samurai? A pirate? A jungle explorer?) because the Realms was then intended to be THE host world for 2nd Edition AD&D.

And:

quote:
Well met again, thom. Ed says you’re very welcome, and here’s my reply (oooh! A question for ME!):
In the ‘home’ Realms campaign, we Knights did indeed have ‘patron’ deities, and all of us Knights carried a token, holy symbol, or remembrance of our primary god, whom we normally prayed to briefly in the morning (if we didn’t awaken under attack or in some emergency), at moments of crisis (such as healing a wounded friend, trying to keep a sick or poisoned person alive), and, in a more lengthy private prayer, just after our evening meal. We’d pray to our deities for guidance, which sometimes came in the form of dream-visions or even ‘waking’ mental visions (snapshot scene tinged with a feeling of favour or disapproval), and VERY rarely came in the form of a ‘manifestation’ (Lathander, for example, was a rosy glow, around a weapon, or one of us, or a keyhole or secret door, or moving along a route).
Upon arrival in a town or village with a formal shrine or temple to a patron deity, we would attend a service, and give an offering (if coin-less, trophies from fallen foes would suffice [for Tempus, of course, weapons from beings we’d defeated were considered the most valuable offerings], and if we had absolutely nothing, information about our doings and what we’d seen reported to a priest was accepted). Paltry or verbal-only offerings usually resulted in a priestly request to do a service, either something as simple as “help move this temple furniture” or “confess in full to the superior priest tomorrow” or “help guard the temple doors tonight.”
If we found an untended or desecrated shrine of a patron deity during our travels, the PCs venerating that deity would cleanse it and pray there (one of the elaborate prayers, sometimes involving a chanted or sung ritual), and Ed had provided us with some prayers, small couplets of creed-advice, and even approved oaths for invocation of the god (which we uttered in play, sometimes causing great amusement). If we found a hermit or travelling priest of a patron deity, we would expect to share food and drink, and would offer to encamp with the priest and offer our protection.
If we were staying in one locale with a temple, we would attend services at least once every two days. Priests in Ed’s campaign do a lot of “influencing the laity” work by dispensing news and gossip that’s been carefully slanted to promote the importance of their god and the creed and aims of the faith, and to motivate the people hearing it to do certain things that further the work of the god, and they customarily do this at the end of formal services, sometimes while ‘blessing’ worshippers (the old “priest stands at the door to speak to everyone leaving” tactic :}). From them we also learned temple or priestly sayings that weren’t part of the official creed (example, for Tempus: “We come in peace: smite to slay!”)
Other gods were to be prayed and offered to in appeasement (we’ve got to cross the Neck in a boat, so Umberlee, please don’t sink us, and Talos, send no storms . . . and if the body of water was large, we’d be praying for navigational aid, too), and NO gods were to be treated disrespectfully. Their worshippers and clergy, yes, and sometimes (for followers of good-aligned deities opposed to human sacrifice) their altars shattered, too, but the gods themselves were considered very real -- when thwarting their mortal servants, ’tis always best to NOT defame the god while you’re at it. Mocking their holy sayings is about as far as it goes (example, when slaying a priest of Talos: “Send a storm -- now REAP a storm!”).
In practical terms, except for the tasks set by priests for our cleric PCs at each level (and in one special case, given Florin personally by Mielikki!), once we were adhering to our faiths, this all faded into the background. Like driving a car, we no longer paid a lot of attention to: “Now I’m turning the key, with my foot on the brake pedal, and now I’m -- ” . . . we just did it. Torm, of course, endlessly teases the rest of us: “Now, would Lathander REALLY want you to do that?”
Yet we’ve learned to ignore Torm or give him back as good as he gets (“Well of course I upended you into the horsetrough! Lathander told me to so serve over-clever, mouthy servants of Mask!”)
I hope that helps, thom. The Hooded One, signing off.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  04:33:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
ints? Is this something we can expect to see in an uncoming novel about a city known for its many splendors?

I don't expect any clear answer in any upcoming novel or tome. But, if I was a betting scribe and felt an answer might be on the horizon and since EG has said it's not his tale to tell, I think it might be shown in an upcoming anthology.

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  08:08:14  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Well, I must admit that this NDA wsa something that I've been expecting. Nevertheless, now I can finish my Baldur's Gate map without any further doubts. Thank You for Your help, Lady and Ed.

P.S. Great Lady Hooded One, please, do not forget to sometime ask Ed about my previous question on Ulgoth's Beard
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  09:48:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

And to The Sage, I regret to reply that current developments concerning life in the Abbey of the Just Hammer in Tasseldale is also NDA-silenced on my part.

Wow ... First the Lady K, and now myself. If I didn't know better, I'd assume there's some type of conspiracy going on here at Candlekeep .

Luckily, I do know better. I hope... .

I appreciate the details regardless, Lady Hooded One . I would've likely plotted my own course with regard to the Abbey anyway . Still, I'm intrigued now by the possibility that the Abbey will feature in some future novel or source tome...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  09:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Wow ... First the Lady K, and now myself. If I didn't know better, I'd assume there's some type of conspiracy going on here at Candlekeep .

I appreciate the details regardless, Lady Hooded One . I would've likely plotted my own course with regard to the Abbey anyway . Still, I'm intrigued now by the possibility that the Abbey will feature in some future novel or source tome...

I actually suspect we'll get a Dalelands source book next year although Wizards havent announced a FR book for the 3rd trimester yet...

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 22 Jan 2005 10:05:46
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:11:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I actually suspect we'll get a Dalelands source book next year although Wizards havent announced a FR book for the 3rd trimester yet...

That would be nice.

I wonder whether we'll see a change in Tasseldale's status. We know Sembia likes to keep it as a buffer state... but opinions and plans change. The rate of realm expansion is often relative to the amount of wealth the realm has. And with Sembia, that wealth is based on expansion.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  12:28:24  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
ints? Is this something we can expect to see in an uncoming novel about a city known for its many splendors?

I don't expect any clear answer in any upcoming novel or tome. But, if I was a betting scribe and felt an answer might be on the horizon and since EG has said it's not his tale to tell, I think it might be shown in an upcoming anthology.

I am thinking the answer might lie in the tale about the Tree of Life, though if it will be mentioned in Elaine Cunningham's next tome is uncertain.

Edited by - Kentinal on 22 Jan 2005 13:58:49
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  15:54:29  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
erm..this may sound rather stupid to some of you i wager, but you keep mentioning NDA all the time.. Can anyone indulge me, and tell me what NDA is?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  15:55:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

erm..this may sound rather stupid to some of you i wager, but you keep mentioning NDA all the time.. Can anyone indulge me, and tell me what NDA is?

Non-Disclosure Agreement if I recall correctly is the precise term.
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  16:00:22  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message
Thank you Sirius. I figured it was something like that, since it was mentioned along with possible revelations.
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message
Sirius is correct regarding the NDA.

It's a powerful scroll written by the Barristers of Tyr (often considered lay clergy and affectionately, or derogatorily, referred to as 'Sharks') and enforced by their black-robed elders in wood paneled rooms. Very powerful stuff, requiring at least 15 ranks in the profession - hide knowledge. Woe to those who break the NDA for it results in serious monetary consequences.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  20:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Sirius is correct regarding the NDA.

It's a powerful scroll written by the Barristers of Tyr (often considered lay clergy and affectionately, or derogatorily, referred to as 'Sharks') and enforced by their black-robed elders in wood paneled rooms. Very powerful stuff, requiring at least 15 ranks in the profession - hide knowledge. Woe to those who break the NDA for it results in serious monetary consequences.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Lawyers are LE Hellspawn and NDAs are penned by Asmodeous himself!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  22:05:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Lawyers are LE Hellspawn

Careful, if I recall correctly, we have one laywer on the boards and he controls the actions of a deadly character.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  23:45:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Hey! I resemble that comment!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  00:30:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

yeah but you even out as Lawful Neutral

True George is a Baatezu or as they are known in the real world, a lawyer, however George have also taken the "Exalted Forgotten Realms Developer Template" which along with prolonged exposure to the Divine Eric Boyd and the Saintly Schend has shifted Georges alignment to Lawful Neutral

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  01:40:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Hoondatha, Ed replies to your ‘trebuchets and more’ questions:

Yes, the Realms has trebuchets, and ballistae and catapults and mangonels and rams and all of the other ‘classic’ siege engines, already outlined in the rules several times. The only “Realms-specific” siege engines are magical augmentations of the standard sorts (spell-propelled drills), and accessories (covered tunnels with shove-blades to allow soldiers to force rust monsters forward against ironbound gates, chains, and the like; ditto to allow casters to reach walls and directly apply stone to flesh spells; and so on). Most large siege engines are “built on the spot” by armies that have the numbers and expertise to use them, and sieges in the Realms are rare, because it’s the act of a stupid or desperate attacker to try to starve or wait defenders in a large walled city (the only sort that require sieges) out.
Usually, sieges happen in two situations: an orc horde arrives at a city it can’t storm at first go, or an army a long way from home gets caught near an enemy city in winter, and decides to force entry and use the foe’s food and shelter rather than trying the long, apt-to-be-deadly trek home through hostile territory in fierce weather.
Also, armies who don’t care much about losses (Thay, employing slaves, or Sembia or Amn, employing mercenaries) will try sieges with ‘expendable’ troops.
So this tends to mean that sieges are rare, but could be mounted by forces working for Amn, Tethyr, Cormyr, Sembia, Calimshan, Thay, Zhentil Keep, and various war-like independent cities like Calaunt, Mulmaster, and so on. Naval-bombardment sieges (against pirates, for example) are a whole different matter, of course.

So saith Ed. Whom I don’t recall visiting a siege on our Knightly experiences at all. One more thing to be grateful for.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  03:46:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
There was some questions about current ebents in the Realms.
This leads me to ask how Realm time compares to RL time?

I suspect it varies where one book can handle years and another perhaps a month within the years. Perhaps Narnia time paradox applies, but am interested in finding out if there eexists any plan of how fast time will pass in the Realms.
Day for Day, Month for Day, Year for a week. I am not asking for future timeline (which most likely is NDA) just wondering if there is a general plan for how quick time will pass.

Edited by - Kentinal on 23 Jan 2005 03:49:03
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  04:25:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

There was some questions about current ebents in the Realms.
This leads me to ask how Realm time compares to RL time?

I suspect it varies where one book can handle years and another perhaps a month within the years. Perhaps Narnia time paradox applies, but am interested in finding out if there eexists any plan of how fast time will pass in the Realms.
Day for Day, Month for Day, Year for a week. I am not asking for future timeline (which most likely is NDA) just wondering if there is a general plan for how quick time will pass.

When the FRCS was released, I believe there was a four to one ratio put forth. For every four months in our time, one month would pass in Realms time.

Someone with far more interest in math can figure out if the ratio is still holding true. However, with the release of Richard Baker's latest novel, it would appear the timeline is moving at a bit faster pace than the ratio. If so, I for one am quite happy at such a development.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  04:28:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

You are a laywer?!! That explains a great deal.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  06:44:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I'm not sure what you mean SB, but I'll take it as you being fond of my wordsmithing abilities and eloquence! Mind you, in the States I'd be termed an "ambulance chaser".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  07:52:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

yeah but you even out as Lawful Neutral

True George is a Baatezu or as they are known in the real world, a lawyer, however George have also taken the "Exalted Forgotten Realms Developer Template" which along with prolonged exposure to the Divine Eric Boyd and the Saintly Schend has shifted Georges alignment to Lawful Neutral

No, no... You've got it all wrong. It's true that George is a baatezu, but he's an erinyes... not a pit fiend. And his main weapon of seduction isn't his looks... it's the tiny bits of Realmslore that he leaves peppered around the ethereal pathways of cyberspace, luring you deeper and deeper into his clutches so that finally, you don't realise it until it's too late... that your soul... is now his... .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000