Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2005 :  17:01:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hmm,

That helps with my Compendium article as well.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  01:46:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I pass on Ed’s reply to khorne’s question: “Well, now that we have seen plenty of examples of noble bands with the cranial capacity of an undead goblin, are there any young nobles who form bands that "mean business" as in trying to be serious adventurers, and(preferably) surviving? As in: a young noble has been gone for over a year from home, when he comes home his father is pissed of and asks him what he`s been doing, and as a means of reply he hauls up the skull of some horrible monster and/or precious jewelry from his backpack.”
Ed replies:

Yes, there are plenty of nobles who truly want to be successful adventurers. Some crave the fame (as in: cool reputation sure to impress certain young ladies), some want the fortune (as in: independence from the family and freedom from their criticisms of “young do-nothing, lazy wastrels”), and some want to prove to themselves and/or a respected family member (usually father or crusty old grandsire) that they can achieve things through their own skills (in particular: daughters proving to fathers that they can be “just as manly a son” as their dead or never-born brothers would have been).
Many nobles will, of course, be far MORE impressed by offspring who achieve mercantile trading success elsewhere and just arrive back home as incredibly rich, worldly, sophisticated folk who’ve picked up valuable and exotic trophies of a ‘grand tour’ of wider Faerûn.
Most noble wannabe-adventurers either swiftly perish in Undermountain or parts unknown in the Savage North (usually exploring heard-of-all-their-lives beast lairs near outlying family landholdings), or cleave to darker morals and establish short-lived careers in Skullport. A few depart Waterdeep for good (or until parents die or sicken and their own standing re. becoming head of the house improves, or until family members with whom they decidedly Don’t Get Along perish), and a VERY few combine investment success in Waterdeep with adventuring forays that win them a daring, dangerously competent reputation.
The sort of scene you allude to, wherein young noble astonishes a parent with a battle-trophy produced as a surprise, has happened more often than one might think. More than one mounted dragon-head (or slightly less splendid monster equivalent) wall-adornment appeared on proud display as a result of such revelations.
Down the years, there have been scores of successful adventuring bands whose founding members were entirely or almost all “younger sons and daughters of the city, seeking their fortunes.” Most often, these are struggling middle-class merchant stock, seeking to improve their standing and make a living, but there are at least a dozen noble-led adventuring companies that have achieved legitimate success over the years (though I can think of none that shine just at the present; those who’ve read CITY OF SPLENDORS [SPOILER ALERT! SPOILER ALERT! SKIP TO END OF PARAGRAPH NOW TO AVOID SPOILER!] should take note that the public, Waterdeep-wide perception of the events therein would NOT “crown” the Gemcloaks as heroes or even successful adventurers; their actions are simply too little known and too misunderstood).
Among them are The Silver Swords (now semi-retired, this masked brotherhood was known for their “silver” [chromed] rapiers and half-masks, and reached their height of fame twenty summers ago), the Men of the Sabre (a large group of noble-led outlaws and wanderers active around eighty winters ago, who became hireswords and met various fates all over the Sword Coast North), and The Amalraes (this last one being an all-female group of revel-loving young lasses, described by a scribe of the time as “gowned beauties all,” led by Amalrae Brokengulf and Amalrae Eirontalar, that flourished almost a century ago).

So saith Ed, tireless spinner of Realmslore.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Scarabeus
Acolyte

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  06:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Scarabeus's Homepage Send Scarabeus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Ed deals with Asgetrion’s multi-part query: “I was curious about how "specialized" craftsmen are in the Realms? Are there any ropemakers, for example, who only make and sell ropes,

Thanks Mr Greenwood. It's always inspiring to read replies like that. It helps pushing away a little futher our "modern day" way of thinking.

I don't know if it's been said before, but Asgetrion’s question made me think of a very good text (written by Ed I can guess) about Fylgard "the Fat". It depitcs the life of a ropemaker (and merchant)making a living in Waterdeep. There's an incredible amount of informations in this text about the City and the Sword Coast. It can be found in the City of Splendor boxed set (Who's Who in Waterdeep, Appendix One).

Ok, now I have a question. Ed can you tell us more about the Ancient Runetongue Mintiper learned in Dragon #187. I did not find any other reference about it. Can you append it to my Spellsinger question in queue. I guess it's related.

The Chondathan post made me think about ancient languages. Is there an explanation as to why Thorass was declared a dead language in the FRCS ? There's the mention that none of these languages has been a spoken living language in thousands of years. FR3 and Land of Intrigue clearly states that Thorass is still quite in use with the merchants of Amn. Did I missed something ? Thanks for any insight.

Merci beaucoup et bonne journée
- Scarabeus
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  17:18:10  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
Hey THO, here's another question for you as a gamer in the original Realms. When a typical adventuring group goes tavern crawling in a town anywhere besides Cormyr, do they just waltz in fully armed & armored? All Plate mailed up, halbards and greatswords piled on their backs, wizards with their wands in their wand golf bag? This assumes the group is not trying to hide out or be inconspicuous, they're just wanting to spend their hard-earned gold.

Or do they "dress down" when going to your typical wharf dive; say only leathers, & smaller weapons? I'm asking because my group is heading into the main town of the campaign & they're asking what to expect...so what did the Knights typically do when going tavern crawling?? I can't image a typical tavern having a "dress code" for patrons - but I thought I'd check with you.

Thanks as always for any insights!
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  17:31:20  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
quote:

As for when and why Elminster decided to settle in Shadowdale, that’s been covered briefly in existing Realmslore, but not in depth (yet). However, I Have Plans . . .

Hmmm..I seem to recall El settled in Shadowdale as a balance against the Zhentarim, and to watch over the Celestial Stair in the Lathander temple. Also as a favor to Sylune?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  18:24:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I know Ed dislikes rule questions and so he doesn't have to answer this. :)

But I had to ask: Is there any reason why bards in FR can't be lawful? I know in 1e and 2e there were about ten or so lawful bards but with the new rule changes in 3/3.5e it says that bardic ideals, etc, go against a lawful alignment and so I'm trying to find a justification for this change to FR NPCs.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2005 :  19:01:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Thanks Ed. I knew they weren`t all idiots. I just needed confirmation of the fact.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  01:46:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed thinks it’s time to answer that last question from The Simbul (the scribe) about The Simbul (the character), to whit: “in regards to the spell-storing gems carried in Phaeldara's hair, embedded in the Simbul's bedposts, and that she carried under her breasts in hopes of using them to heal Elminster (in ELMINSTER IN HELL), which of the following would you consider them to be closest to in terms of actual game features:
1. Attuned Gems, as described in MAGIC OF FAERUN
2. The focus component gems for a particularly long duration casting of one of her Simbul's Spell Matrix line of spells
3) Spell-storing gems that are the result perhaps of a variant of the Focal Stone spell used by Valamaradace or the Shalantha's Delicate Disk spell found in LOST EMPIRES OF FAERUN
4) Spellstars, or their 3E equivalents, as decribed in THE SEVEN SISTERS
5) something else entirely”
Accordingly, Ed speaks:

The answer lies between your choices 3 and 5. Or to put things a little more clearly: the gems ARE spell-storing devices, that work differently from all of the first four options. They store multiple spells (cast into them), and the user can choose to convert all or some of these into healing energy (akin to silver fire), spellfire (ravening “burn magic and/or organic things readily, melt inorganic things less readily” energy), or to ‘power up’ stored spells (or spells cast normally by the gem-user while holding the gem or carrying it in direct contact with their skin) to do additional damage OR have a longer range OR have a greater duration OR have a larger area of effect. The gems are sentient (containing the life-essence of a creature serving Mystra ‘beyond death’ by adopting this existence by choice), and can speak aloud, see, hear, reason, speak mentally (at about a forty-foot range), and so advise the wearer (either to help them, or to further Mystra’s “spread magic to all” aims).
A Chosen of Mystra can command such a gem perfectly (in other words, the life-essence in them will obey them with adoring alacrity), and can even (mentally or verbally, within that 40-foot range) instruct it to emit (“cast” or discharge) its spells without their direct contact. So a Chosen could, for instance, employ a gem in this way to suddenly gain a spell-hurling ally that foes might not expect (so as to hurl spells at foes “from both sides”). The gems are, of course, very rare, and I want to keep some of their other powers under my hat for now.
Well, I’ll let slip just one more: the gems can watch events transpiring in their presence and “record” them, as three-dimensional holographs to be played back any number of times later, for other beings to observe.

So saith Ed. Ah, yes. I know a bit more about these gems, but respect Ed’s “keep it mysterious” wishes. Cool, eh?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  18:36:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
This is going to be another one of those, you don't have to answer this if you don't want to type of questions since it deals with the afterlife. :) I'm asking about this because this is debated almost as much as the planar changes.

My question is this: Why does Kelemvor, or any of the past Faerun deities of the dead/death, get to judge the Faithless and False souls even if those souls never worshipped the Faerun "human" pantheon?

It doesn't make sense that Sehanine can't judge the elven Faithless and False, or that none of the other deities of the dead/death that are deities of the racial pantheons can't do the same with thier mortal races.

Why did TSR and WOTC decide that the "human" Faerun deity of the dead/death has that much influence over those souls and the afterlife?

It also makes no sense because the deities threatened to kill Midnight-Mystra for blocking the Weave but somehow they all rolled over and went all submissive when it involves who can judge the souls of their mortals and they allowed Kelemvor to have total power over the Faithless and False souls.

As a pagan, this bugs me. It's like having a Greek, who worshipped the Greek pantheon but never decided on a patron deity, being judged by the Celtic deity of the dead/death even though that Greek never worshipped any of the Celtic deities. And it makes no sense in a polytheism world, which FR is supposed to have...

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Oct 2005 21:22:21
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  21:29:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

This one is from Bobsan about the Volo's Guide to Baldurs Gate sourcebook...

He's asking what this cover is to:

http://arsvictoria.com/Store/Product.asp?pid=790

I believe it's a mock up cover for Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II but he's sure that there was a Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate and that it wasn't the one that was in the BG computer manual.

Go to Top of Page

Dooly Pwent
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  21:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Dooly Pwent's Homepage Send Dooly Pwent a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Ed,

I believe it's a mock up cover for Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II but he's sure that there was a Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate and that it wasn't the one that was in the BG computer manual.

Now I know there was one in the Rulebook as I own that as well as VGBGII. However, I know I've seen the green cover before at a local game shop and am now perplexed as to what it is. I saw the site here mentioned VGBGII was originally VGBGI and thought perhaps it was a first printing (as Kuje forgot to mention) ^_^

And clarification on this would be helpful.

And by the by, this is Bobsan. It seems I created this acct with a different login name and forgot about that.

Edited by - Dooly Pwent on 14 Oct 2005 21:37:43
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2005 :  23:56:58  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message
THO,

Could you inquire on my behalf as to what duties would the god's of death for pantheons other than Faerun have in the life cycle of mortals? How do they relate to Kelevmor, who has been described as the judge of the souls of all those who die?

Should these other god's of death be viewed to have similiar functions as Kelevmor? Is there any anomosity/jealousy between Kelevmor and these god's?

Is their relationship similiar to that of Mystra and her associated god's of magic from other pantheons?

Thanks,

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  00:07:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

THO,

Could you inquire on my behalf as to what duties would the god's of death for pantheons other than Faerun have in the life cycle of mortals? How do they relate to Kelevmor, who has been described as the judge of the souls of all those who die?

Should these other god's of death be viewed to have similiar functions as Kelevmor? Is there any anomosity/jealousy between Kelevmor and these god's?

Is their relationship similiar to that of Mystra and her associated god's of magic from other pantheons?

Thanks,

I already asked over on the other page of this thread. However, he doesn't judge all souls, only those that are Faithless and False. No, I'm not going to debate this with you in this scroll. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Oct 2005 00:08:58
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  01:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, thanks for the information on subcultures. I am now wondering... will you write a novel or series in the future based on the early years of Mirt, Durnan etc when they all first met up and had adventures together? Their story would pre-date the Knights of Myth Drannor right (sorry I'm still a green-stick in Forgottten Realms hehe)?

And to the Hooded One, does Ed himself post through your account or does he email you his reply, which you cut-and-paste? :p

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  07:14:14  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message
Seriously..... a question.

Why did Elminster go from pointy hat old guy to Sean Connery in 3E? Was that Ed's request or WotC's?

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  07:50:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Seriously..... a question.

Why did Elminster go from pointy hat old guy to Sean Connery in 3E? Was that Ed's request or WotC's?

C-Fb

WOTC's mostly. :) I recall this from Ed's book tour last year but he'll correct me if I misremembered.

Edited by - Kuje on 15 Oct 2005 07:51:06
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  09:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dooly Pwent

quote:

Ed,

Now I know there was one in the Rulebook as I own that as well as VGBGII. However, I know I've seen the green cover before at a local game shop and am now perplexed as to what it is. I saw the site here mentioned VGBGII was originally VGBGI and thought perhaps it was a first printing (as Kuje forgot to mention) ^_^

And clarification on this would be helpful.

And by the by, this is Bobsan. It seems I created this acct with a different login name and forgot about that.

Simple answer I can handle, so as to keep Ed working away on more important things...

The art piece linked above is the prototype art for that cover. Oftimes websites will glom onto art from WotC's website and use it (not always with permission). If they're in a hurry, they'll end up with the prototype art, as in this case.

Steven
Who's seen enough prototype art to really appreciate the finished works all the better

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  14:57:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes. Ed makes reply to Dargoth re. “What’s going on in Darkhold these days and who’s calling the shots?”

Sorry, Dargoth, there’s an NDA firmly in place over this topic. You’ll learn a little more eventually, and all I can say regarding the NDA is that it involves one of your fellow Candlekeep scribes. (!)

So saith Ed. Sorry, Dargoth. This reply also applies to several other scribes who’ve asked about Darkhold earlier, this year and last.
And to Gareth: Ed e-mails me his replies, and I cut-and-paste. Just like my editing day job.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  16:50:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Simple answer I can handle, so as to keep Ed working away on more important things...

The art piece linked above is the prototype art for that cover. Oftimes websites will glom onto art from WotC's website and use it (not always with permission). If they're in a hurry, they'll end up with the prototype art, as in this case.

Steven
Who's seen enough prototype art to really appreciate the finished works all the better

Thanks Steven,

That's what I said it was but we weren't sure. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2005 :  18:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

This is going to be another one of those, you don't have to answer this if you don't want to type of questions since it deals with the afterlife. :) I'm asking about this because this is debated almost as much as the planar changes.

My question is this: Why does Kelemvor, or any of the past Faerun deities of the dead/death, get to judge the Faithless and False souls even if those souls never worshipped the Faerun "human" pantheon?

It doesn't make sense that Sehanine can't judge the elven Faithless and False, or that none of the other deities of the dead/death that are deities of the racial pantheons can't do the same with thier mortal races.

Why did TSR and WOTC decide that the "human" Faerun deity of the dead/death has that much influence over those souls and the afterlife?

It also makes no sense because the deities threatened to kill Midnight-Mystra for blocking the Weave but somehow they all rolled over and went all submissive when it involves who can judge the souls of their mortals and they allowed Kelemvor to have total power over the Faithless and False souls.

As a pagan, this bugs me. It's like having a Greek, who worshipped the Greek pantheon but never decided on a patron deity, being judged by the Celtic deity of the dead/death even though that Greek never worshipped any of the Celtic deities. And it makes no sense in a polytheism world, which FR is supposed to have...

The former holder of the job, Jergal, isn't even humanoid, so this may be one of those uber-cosmic jobs the identity of whose holder is irrelevant ... as long as someone does it, God's in his Hell and all's right with the worlds. But what do I know?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  05:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

I know Ed dislikes rule questions and so he doesn't have to answer this. :)

But I had to ask: Is there any reason why bards in FR can't be lawful? I know in 1e and 2e there were about ten or so lawful bards but with the new rule changes in 3/3.5e it says that bardic ideals, etc, go against a lawful alignment and so I'm trying to find a justification for this change to FR NPCs.

I'd love to know this myself (though I've spotted a couple 3E lawful bards, myself!). I think bards should just be able to be any alignment, personally.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  05:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

And as a non-religious person (a deist, in fact), it bugs me that people who don't worship a deity are labeled "False" (or is that faithless?). Since when is being true to one's own convictions false? But that's another argument, I suppose.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  06:30:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Folks, we don't need to be discussing the whole False/Faithless thing here. We can do that in other threads.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  19:30:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. I bring you Ed’s reponse to scribe Alva, about Triel:

Hi, Alva. You’re welcome, and I hope the Realms continues to bring you years of fun.
As seen briefly in HAND OF FIRE (I say “briefly” because an entire chapter about Triel had to be tossed out to make the book fit in its pagecount, thanks to my overwriting), the Zhentarim had infiltrated the fortified way-town of Triel, as part of their “control all the trade routes” scheme.
Elvar the Grainlord did not survive the events of that novel, and had gone mad before the caravan Shandril was with ever got there, helped along by the mind-reading and -controlling spells of the resident Zhent wizards. Most of them didn’t live to the end of HAND OF FIRE, either, leaving Triel a battleground between Zhent underlings, ambitious wannabe-lord merchants, Harpers, and the first few agents of the Red Wizards, sent to “spy out the Sword Coast North” before the establishment of Thayan trading enclaves. Even Alustriel got in on the fun, sending a few agents of her own to find out “what was up” in Triel, and make sure neither Zhents nor Red Wizards came to control it.
It’s pretty clear that the anti-Zhent and anti-Thay forces succeeded in preventing control by either of those power groups, but just who did win? That’s up to you. (It’s also clear that agents of both the Zhents and the Red Wizards are still resident in Triel. I’d say the Thayans are represented only by spies, not by Red Wizards with spells up their sleeves and power-hunger in their eyes, but if the Zhents aren’t close to the reins of power, they’ll be hatching plots and intrigues to bring locally-prominent-merchant after merchant “under their thumbs.” Local Harpers and nervous local merchants could well try to hire or just manipulate visiting PCs into coming into conflict with the Zhents.)
There have been good harvests in recent years, and more ‘open’ trading (allowing more caravans to camp outside the walls and easily access the town), and as a result, the population has grown to just over 2,000 people. There are now clergy of most major faiths of the Realms in town, tending small shrines in private homes and in certain shop cellars, but the citizenry have had their fill of religious fanaticism, and no faith has been allowed to build a temple or rise to dominance (the faiths of Chauntea, Waukeen, and Tymora are all strong).
Triel is a place dominated by smiths, millers, those who breed and doctor mules and horses and pack animals, traders (those who procure specific goods “in want” in the North, and ship them to where they’ll sell for the highest coin), and crafters (who make things, in particular: tents, cloaks, everyday furniture, waychests, and small ironmongery such as buckles, pots, and pans), and outlying sheep ranchers. Guides and caravan “riders” (mounted guards and drovers) are always on hand for hire, and peddlers and small-wagon merchants (vendors who own one to three wagons full of mixed goods, that they sell the same way as peddlers do).
As you can see, there are always a good number of transients, and the place can be a ready “cauldron” for a nice rough-and-ready frontier campaign (a mini-Scornubel, if you will). Have fun with it!

So saith Ed, who may fall silent for a few days in the week ahead, I’m afraid, as he rushes to get some top-secret stuff finished.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  20:41:22  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
I was going to wait with my thanks to our dear Lady Hooded One for clearing up the meaning of "Arkhen" until my next question, but it seems to be late in coming, so I'll give it now: Many thanks oh Hooded One, you're most gracious.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  20:52:29  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Reply to an older post...
quote:

Hellow, fellow scribes of Realmslore.
To Mumadar Ibn Huzal, Ed makes reply:

Regarding your questions as to what’s hidden beneath the roots of the Wealdath AND how Cylyria Dragonbreast rose to rule Berdusk: NDA to both for now, I’m afraid (possible future fiction).
<snipped>
So saith Ed. I share your sigh.
love,
THO

Sigh indeed ... I'll have to come up with an alternate version then for how the Silent Lady came to rule the Jewel of the Vale... most likley in Candlekeep Volume V...

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 16 Oct 2005 22:09:44
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2005 :  22:37:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed, this one is from Zanan:

"Originally Posted by Zanan
Vendui Kuje!

As you are without doubt the poster with the most accurate knowledge about the FR - and given your hotline to the Grand Wizard - I'd like to put a question before you.

Over here in Germany, a few years back, one chap overseeing the translations of AD&D/3E into German argued that Chessenta's German name had a direct relation to the game of "chess". Hence they did not take Chessenta into German (much like Anauroch etc.), but used the German word for "chess". It makes ridiculous reading and I checked on my sources whether there is actually any reference to what the guy said back then: "a ruler of that place liked the game so much that he named is realm after it".

Can you back this up or has such a line actually ever occured? Maybe Ed knows the correct answer?

All very dubious, IMHO!

Aluve, Zanan!"

I replied: "I see no lore in Old Empires or Lost Empires that says its named after the game of chess and so I think that that translation is wrong.

I could go ask Ed to make sure if you really want me to."

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  01:11:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed makes reply to Asgetrion’s questions: “I would like to ask you about what sort of trees grow in upcountry/rural Sembia, such as near the Cormyrean border? Would a skilled carpenter, specialized in making beautifully carved furniture (tables, chairs, signs, stairposts etc.), find enough "quality resources" in this area? Or would he import all his wood from the Dales, or Cormyr? Is it possible for rare trees to exist in rural Sembia, such as Weirwood? What would be "the Dream Material" (=tree) for such a carpenter to work on? Is there water/brooks/streams (either flowing to the sea or the Darkflow river) in this area for water-wheel mills? One more question about the walled compounds... are fields/farms also surrounded by the compound walls? Or are the fields surrounded by walls at all?”
Ed speaks:

Okay, last first: except for exercise paddocks for highly valued horses, Sembian farms VERY rarely have the sort of “walls” that enclose most of the hunting estates of the wealthy. Instead, Sembian farm fields tend to have low, rambling boundary walls made up of stones tilled out of the fields they enclose, mixed with tangled stumps dragged from the same source. Over the years, wild shrubs, saplings, vines, and flowering plants sewn by birds tend to grow along such walls, sometimes becoming high, overgrown hedges if not prevented from doing so by a zealous farmer (most farmers want the shade, shelter, and privacy such hedges create, and leave them be).
Now, as for your carpenter and wood queries:
Upcountry Sembia is home to all manner of “cold-winters, hot-summers” temperate trees, from duskwoods and shadowtops (trees found only in the Realms, detailed in several tomes of Realmslore down the years; VOLO’S GUIDE TO ALL THINGS MAGICAL. pgs 60-63, is one of the best sources) to pines and maples. Near the Sembian border with Cormyr “down south,” trees tend to be few because of swamps and farm clearances; farther north along that border, the mountains (rock outcrops and thin soil even in the foothills) tend to inhibit all but the conifers. And woodcutting, both for firewood and for building timbers, goes on constantly, thinning out the “best specimens” (from a carpenter’s point of view). However, thanks to elves and some forest predators making “deep forays” into the Cormanthor woods perilous for all but birds, new trees of all species (rare and otherwise) are always being seeded, although large, mature specimens of the rare sorts are almost all confined to the upcountry estates of wealthy Sembians who consider such trees their very own valued investments, and not for anyone else to wander along and cut.
The region we’re talking about is both vast, and not all controlled by attentive, on-site owners (e.g. the Ghost Holds of western Battledale), so SOME wood of almost any temperate species can always be found. There are tiny creeks and larger streams wandering all over the entire forested area (it’s very well-watered, which made possible the growth of the forest in the first place), so yes, waterwheels could be sited in many places in upcountry Sembia.
Deepingdale is home to several skilled woodcarvers and joiners, so a “skilled carpenter” who specializes in “making beautifully carved furniture” would definitely find enough raw material locally for everyday use. “Show wood” for veneers or trim might very well be imported from the Dales or even from or Cormyr, but not “all” wood: most farms and walled estates have their own woodlots. As for the identity of the ‘dream material’ for such a carpenter, that depends on just what his preferences and work demands are: if he makes magical items (the masterwork “raw materials” to be enspelled), shadowtop and chime oak might well top his list, with blueleaf and weirwood following. If he makes musical instruments or supplies wood to spellcasters, weirwood moves to the top. Duskwood is preferred for masts, structural beams, and in much furniture work (as are oak, chestnut, and other real-world ‘carpenter-favourite’ woods also found in the Realms). If your carpenter wants to make book covers or shields or anything else of great hardness and durability, he’ll probably want to import suth from more southerly climes. If fire resistance is what he prizes most highly, it’s duskwood again. And so on . . .

So saith Ed, expert hugger (of trees and other things - - me, for instance). And yes, Wooly and Sage, the secrets next to my skin are very fluffy and quite comfortable.
Kuje, here’s an “instant reply” from Ed about Chessenta:

“Nope, the name of Chessenta was NOT derived from chess, and that claimed derivation is wrong. Chess isn’t even called “chess” in the Realms; we real-world writers just render it (sometimes) into that word when describing it.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  01:21:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
My thanks Ed. :) I'll let Zanan know right now.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2005 :  01:45:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

And yes, Wooly and Sage, the secrets next to my skin are very fluffy and quite comfortable.

Hamsters are fluffy next to skin, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000