Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:42:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hmm,

My problem with this is that Magic of Faerun and the FRCS says that the Weave is in everything living, dead, undead, inanimate, sky, soil, liquid, gas, solid, water, etc. If the Weave ceased to exist then what would happen to the things that is touched by the Weave?

Why would the absence of the Weave affect these things in any particular way? To use an in-game example, a dead magic zone is an area which is not touched by the Weave, a kind of blank spot. Yet, creatures, living things like plants and animals, air and other stuff can all exist quite merrily in a dead magic zone without needing to be part of the Weave. So basically, I don't see a problem here. The Weave is obviously a dormant, benign aspect of everything in Toril which can be accessed and activated by those who know how - just like the Force in the Stars Wars universe. Not having the Weave 'active' or not having the Weave around at all, just means you can't access it. Have I made myself totally unclear? Thought so.

-- George Krashos

Is the Weave the only component necessary for these aspects to exist within the Realms? In most cases, no. All these things, whether living or dead... liquid, gas, or solid... also exist because of other principles at work.

What has to be determined here, is rather what the effect (if any) the presence of the Weave in these aspects that Kuje listed above has upon the aspects themselves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:52:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

Hmm,

My problem with this is that Magic of Faerun and the FRCS says that the Weave is in everything living, dead, undead, inanimate, sky, soil, liquid, gas, solid, water, etc. If the Weave ceased to exist then what would happen to the things that is touched by the Weave?

Why would the absence of the Weave affect these things in any particular way? To use an in-game example, a dead magic zone is an area which is not touched by the Weave, a kind of blank spot. Yet, creatures, living things like plants and animals, air and other stuff can all exist quite merrily in a dead magic zone without needing to be part of the Weave. So basically, I don't see a problem here. The Weave is obviously a dormant, benign aspect of everything in Toril which can be accessed and activated by those who know how - just like the Force in the Stars Wars universe. Not having the Weave 'active' or not having the Weave around at all, just means you can't access it. Have I made myself totally unclear? Thought so.

-- George Krashos

Is the Weave the only component necessary for these aspects to exist within the Realms? In most cases, no. All these things, whether living or dead... liquid, gas, or solid... also exist because of other principles at work.

What has to be determined here, is rather what the effect (if any) the presence of the Weave in these aspects that Kuje listed above has upon the aspects themselves.

Exactly. If the Weave has no effect on the things that it is present in, then why bother telling us that the Weave is present in those things because otherwise there's no point to print that if it has no effect on anything.

This is why we got into an arguement on the boards and why there's a conflict with the material because if its true that the Weave is present in everything then dead magic zones have to have more to them, since the Weave doesn't exist in dead magic zones.

So I'm trying to find out what happens to things that are infused by the Weave if it ceased to exist and something must happen since it is present in everything in Realmspace/Toril/Faerun and without it raw magic, which is supposedly needed for creation, ceases to exist.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Sep 2005 07:18:23
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Hmm,

-- George Krashos

But then theres that scene from Elaines novel Evermeet where the High mages damage the weave which kills all the Dragons and Elves in the area.

Using that example Id say that certain races (such as Elves and Dragons) could not exist without the Weave

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 27 Sep 2005 07:00:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  07:04:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Using that example Id say that certain races (such as Elves and Dragons) could not exist without the Weave
But that doesn't take into account biological factors, evolution, and the necessary lifeforce which are also part of what sees both elves and dragons, exist in the Realms... along with humans and the other demi-races.

The existence (and presence) of the Weave "in" something cannot be the only reason why that something exists. Certainly the absence of the Weave will have a negative impact upon those races who rely much more strongly on the Weave than humans do... but we must not discount the other forces at work, even in a fantasy setting.

Just what does the Weave being "in" something... really mean?

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 07:08:46
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  08:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
We'll weve had quite a few Realms authors state that while Human Wizards use the weave to cast spells Elves ARE PART of the Weave. You could argue that Elven souls may well be part of the Weave....

Id read that as being a Faerun without the weave would be a Faerun without elves. (and other races)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  13:24:23  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I just finished reading the Waterdeep novel and i'd like to say just how much i enjoyed the story, as well as all the juicy Realmslore and details it provided. I also loved the dedication, for whilst i'm not that active a poster here, i do love Candlekeep and appreciate all that it, its Scribes, and all these willing authors do for the Forgotten Realms and its fans.

I had an odd request for THO as well... As you're the question master here, would you be able to find out if i still have any unanswered Realmslore queries for Ed? I honestly can't remember whether or not i've asked some of the FR questions i've had on my mind. Whilst the replies weren't necessarily directed at me, my questions about smoking, coffee and tea-drinking in the Realms have been covered already. But did i make a point of asking about Knighthoods in the Realms? How they were granted, what nations granted them, what duties were involved and what the common-folk thought of Knights in general? Is the romantic ideal of Chivalry alive and well in the Realms with many great adventurer Knights roaming the land?

Also, you may remember some time ago Ed posted a lot of useful info on what Manshoon was up to, who his common allies were and some helpful roleplaying notes. Well i was wondering if the same thing could be done for Hesperdan? I haven't read Hand of Fire yet, so i could be missing much lore, but i would be interested to read what his situation was in the Zhentarim and which faction he supports (is he a Fzoul supporter now, or does he rue the end of the good old Manshoon days?). Who are his agents and allies and who are frequent antagonists of his? Any character traits to bring out in Roleplay sessions would also be appreciated. Also, in very vague terms (not too tied to either 3.x or 2nd Edition rules, what type of character and what sort of level would he be?

Many thanks again to Ed and THO for all their hard work. Reading a new bit of Realmslore from the Master himself makes my day each and every time.

GH

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 27 Sep 2005 13:26:46
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  16:50:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

We'll weve had quite a few Realms authors state that while Human Wizards use the weave to cast spells Elves ARE PART of the Weave. You could argue that Elven souls may well be part of the Weave....

Id read that as being a Faerun without the weave would be a Faerun without elves. (and other races)

As do I Dargoth. :) You aren't alone in thinking this.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

David Lázaro
Acolyte

Spain
37 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  20:29:57  Show Profile  Visit David Lázaro's Homepage Send David Lázaro a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So a DM who wants to change magic in his or her Realms campaign to a spell-points system, or back to the spell levels and descriptions of earlier D&D editions, or substitute magic systems from other games, or just “tinker” with the published spells, could readily use a “destruction of the Weave” catacalysm as an in-game reason for such alterations.

Funny... I've been thinking about that just when this message was posted and I read it after concluding that using a spell-points system would fit Realmsplay.

From the feeling of some of the Realms novels a spell-points system with fatigue (like the one in Unearthed Arcana seems more appropriate for Realmsplay. I remember a lot of passages with some magician or other exhausted for casting or sustaining a spell. The most recent I remember is the one in the introduction of City of Splendors where Khelben is sustaining some powerful magics with the aid of Laeral.

Would such a system suit best the novels feeling or do authors like Ed have the standard D&D mechanics when writing their descriptions? I know that Ed responded in the past that he tries to be faithful to the D&D rules when writing, but I've seen a lot of passages in the novels with tired spellcasters and too few (none I can remember) with wizards forgetting spells.

Would a system where wizards prepare a limited number of spells but can launch them as they see fit until their spell (weave?) points are expended fit the spirit of the Weave as designed originally by Ed? What about spellcasters getting fatigued when they expend half of they points? I was thinking of tweaking those rules so we can get more dramatic games where even a character can launch some more spells after exhausting its points pool but could be damaged, fall unconscious or maybe dead after that action.

If such a system doesn't fit realmsplay in your view, how is explained the actual rules system in terms of the Weave and Mystra? I've seen no description connecting the two systems together in any 3-odd sourcebook. What's more: now instead of forgetting spells like in second edition, a spellcaster is supposed to have prelaunched them when preparing. I'm finding more and more difficult to give good (and logical) explanations about that to some new players, and I don't want to just tell them: "Hey! See? This is just a game, so this mechanic is there so the uses or magic are balanced and fair." I understand that Mystra is the one that maintains the equilibrium in Toril through the Weave, but explaining a bard (in character, of course) that he can launch one first level spell and three cantrips, but that he cannot just go and launch six cantrips in a day is, well, difficult.

Sorry for the length. I'd like to hear Ed's opinion on these points that I'll try to resume again to:
  • Would a spell-points system that accounts for the fatigue of spellcasting fit the Realms?

• If not, how is the standard D&D magic system (the one from v.3.5 with pre-launching) explained in terms of Mystra and the Weave?

Edited by - David Lázaro on 27 Sep 2005 20:33:52
Go to Top of Page

Nighthawk08
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  20:55:52  Show Profile  Visit Nighthawk08's Homepage Send Nighthawk08 a Private Message
Kuje, according to the book Magic of Faerun, Mystra IS the weave. Shes also "died" 2 times already. The original form Mystral died when a wizard of old tried to take her power, so mystral killed herself to stop him. It also said that magic went crazy becaus she was gone. Then Mystra herself died during the Time of Troubles, and was made anew later on into Midnight, who just kept the name mystra. My personal interpetation of this is that Mystra is the personification of the weave. Kind of like how the Grim Reaper is considered the personification of death in real life. Thats why Mystra keeps on coming back and cant ever totally be destroyed with destroying the weave which is a part of everything so everything would be destroyed *pant pant*. So yeah, if a hardcore DM wants to totally revamp Faerun he can take away the weave.....but i dont know what would happen to magical creatures or magic itself.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  21:11:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk08

Kuje, according to the book Magic of Faerun, Mystra IS the weave. Shes also "died" 2 times already. The original form Mystral died when a wizard of old tried to take her power, so mystral killed herself to stop him. It also said that magic went crazy becaus she was gone. Then Mystra herself died during the Time of Troubles, and was made anew later on into Midnight, who just kept the name mystra. My personal interpetation of this is that Mystra is the personification of the weave. Kind of like how the Grim Reaper is considered the personification of death in real life. Thats why Mystra keeps on coming back and cant ever totally be destroyed with destroying the weave which is a part of everything so everything would be destroyed *pant pant*. So yeah, if a hardcore DM wants to totally revamp Faerun he can take away the weave.....but i dont know what would happen to magical creatures or magic itself.

I know all that. :) It's more of a what if game now... What if Mystra died and the Weave was never reformed. What would happen to Realmspace/Toril/Faerun. Especially Toril since Toril is Chauntea.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  23:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

quote:

I got the impression from Prince of Lies that the gods get locked in a certain way of thinking over a period of time.

I've seen several references to Prince of Lies in canon game material.

In spite of the fact that ...

... the book is about the Prince of Lies, the book has the symbol of the Prince of Lies at the beginning of every chapter, the narrator is a servant of the Prince of Lies, and there are multiple instances of things being claimed in the book (such as the description of Zhentil Keep) that are patently false.

However, don't mind me. I'm sure Lord Cyric is pleased by his book being used as a reference for factual material about the Realms. :)

- RJ

I think your refering to The Trial of Cyric the madby Troy Denning which is told through the eyes of Cyrics Seraph of Lies. Im refering to Prince of Lies by James Lowder (Which Im pretty sure doesnt have a narrator)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  23:21:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by David Lázaro

Would such a system suit best the novels feeling or do authors like Ed have the standard D&D mechanics when writing their descriptions? I know that Ed responded in the past that he tries to be faithful to the D&D rules when writing, but I've seen a lot of passages in the novels with tired spellcasters and too few (none I can remember) with wizards forgetting spells.

This isn't a Realms example, but in one of the DL books, Par-Salian was worried about the effects of old age on his spellcasting. He specifically mentioned his worries over forgetting spells.

As a Realms example, in the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons comic, in the story arc where Kyriani split back into Kilili and Cybriana, there was an elderly wizard who couldn't remember the details of his spells. His halfling assistant had to recommend spells and tell him their effects.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  01:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Exactly. If the Weave has no effect on the things that it is present in, then why bother telling us that the Weave is present in those things because otherwise there's no point to print that if it has no effect on anything.
The problem here is you're assuming the Weave is 'actively' effecting 'everything'.

This isn't the case.

The Weave can be a part of everything without necessarily supporting the existance of 'all things'. This means there is the potential for the Weave to effect something only.

You need something like mages or monsters with supernatural and spell like abilities in order for that potential to be realized (read: They Do Magic).

The trick, as always, is not to read the books too literally.

And please do be nice to the WotC posters. For all the crap said about them here, they're far smarter than most give them credit for and deserve just as much respect as anyone else.

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  02:18:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:
The problem here is you're assuming the Weave is 'actively' effecting 'everything'.

This isn't the case.

The Weave can be a part of everything without necessarily supporting the existance of 'all things'. This means there is the potential for the Weave to effect something only.

You need something like mages or monsters with supernatural and spell like abilities in order for that potential to be realized (read: They Do Magic).

The trick, as always, is not to read the books too literally.

And please do be nice to the WotC posters. For all the crap said about them here, they're far smarter than most give them credit for and deserve just as much respect as anyone else.

J. Grenemyer

I'm not assuming anything because Ed has also said that it is the forces that make up Toril. Specifically March 22nd and November 22nd of last year.

Now before you get testy with me many of us know how you feel about me and so I'm not going to debate this with you but yes I read the books the way they are written.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  02:58:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

As do I Dargoth. :) You aren't alone in thinking this.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with that... at least to a point.

But it just doesn't seem enough. Even with the elves being a part of the Weave... it isn't the whole story here. It just doesn't take into account biological processes and the like. Even if an elven soul is connected to the Weave, he or she still needs oxygen to breathe in order to live in the Realms.

Getting back to Kuje's original questions... there has to be more to the whole concept of the Weave being "in" something, than it just simply being there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:03:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by David Lázaro

This isn't a Realms example, but in one of the DL books, Par-Salian was worried about the effects of old age on his spellcasting. He specifically mentioned his worries over forgetting spells.
That's exactly right.

However I should point out that this was actually more due to the rigors of being a Wizard of High Sorcery, and the pressures of being a Conclave Master. Par-Salian later discussed his fears about the negative effects the advanced use of magic was having on his mind.

Fistandantilus is another example. It is argued that he exceeded Par-Salian in arcane ability... and that the bounds old Fisty broke... eventually eroded his mind.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:16:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

I feel a bit stupid asking this for Slime Lord but he asked me to ask you since it's turned into another debate.

So here's his question: if a character used the necromantic spell called Sanctify the Wicked that is in the Book of Exhalted Deeds, which is a good aligned spell, on a demon to redeem it and turn it good, would this be an evil act because it turns the demon good against it's will.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Ed,

I feel a bit stupid asking this for Slime Lord but he asked me to ask you since it's turned into another debate.

So here's his question: if a character used the necromantic spell called Sanctify the Wicked that is in the Book of Exhalted Deeds, which is a good aligned spell, on a demon to redeem it and turn it good, would this be an evil act because it turns the demon good against it's will.

Id say it wouldnt be an evil act because its not technically forced

"Trapped in the gem the evil soul undergoes a gradual transformation. The Soul reflects on passed evils and slowly finds within itself a spark of goodness"

The Evil soul itself seeks redemption

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:47:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ed,

"Trapped in the gem the evil soul undergoes a gradual transformation. The Soul reflects on passed evils and slowly finds within itself a spark of goodness"

More then a handful, and I'm one of them, agree with you but as usual with the Boards that Must not be Named this simple question has turned into a 2 page debate and so the original poster asked me to ask Ed. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  03:53:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed,

More then a handful, and I'm one of them, agree with you but as usual with the Boards that Must not be Named this simple question has turned into a 2 page debate and so the original poster asked me to ask Ed. :)

As do I. You can't support a statement like this unless you choose to ignore issues of mortality, fiendish behavior, and the established history of demons in the game of D&D.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  04:21:57  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, fellow scribes of Candlekeep. I bring you the first part of Ed’s reply to these queries from true fan Asgetrion: “I would like to ask about how guilds operate in Cormyr. As far as I can remember, this subject has been touched only very lightly in Realmslore. How are the guilds organized - is there a local guildmaster in every city? Is there possibly a grandmaster in Suzail for each guild? Do they only operate in cities or also in smaller towns? How many professions have guilds, and which ones? Can they be compared to the guilds of Waterdeep? Then, how about guild uniforms?”
Ed speaks:

Great questions! Okay, here we go:
The guilds in Cormyr have far less power and wealth than in Waterdeep, and are far “friendlier” to authority. They operate only in Suzail and the lands immediately around it (on the southern or Suzail side of the Starwater River, plus Hilp but minus Marsember), thanks to the rebellious histories of Arabel and Marsember (most of the guilds have “factors” [= trade agents and observers] in those cities, but no real power or organization) and the traditional resistance of nobles to anyone (even the Crown) “meddling unnecessarily” in life, customs, and matters befalling on “their” lands.

Guilds in Cormyr do the following things:
* Publicize a roster of members in good standing, intimating that all do work of the best standard, and agreeing that one member shall not hesitate to repair or maintain any item that is the work of another member (i.e. never telling a would-be customer: “Pooh! I can’t fix THAT! Utter trash; hurl it away and buy one of mine!”). (Most guilds also secretly try to fix prices, by at least agreeing on a ‘going rate’ for certain goods or services that members aren’t bound to, but will refer to when negotiating with clients. They do NOT have the legal right to set prices or even standards.)
* Agreeing on “approved” glues, finishes, and other materials, and (when members desire) precuring such things in bulk so as to get discounted prices to members (non-members will be charged a markup over “standard street prices”).
* Providing warehousing or materials storage facilities to members (most charters provide for immediate emergency storage for members who have been “burned out” of their own facilities, or otherwise prevented from using them - - and most guilds secretly provide one or more “secret locations” [accommodations not officially owned by or linked to the guild] for members to stash goods or themselves or apprentices wanted by the law for short periods, or being hunted by personal foes).
* Maintain, with the agreement of the Royal Court, precise and public definitions of objects, sizes, and amounts used by guild members in their trade (so one man’s “ferkin” or “ell” is the same as another’s).
* Support indigent former (retired) guild members, usually by a monthly measure of grain and ale and meat or fish, or a few coins in lieu (12 gp is the “monthly munificence” of The Guild of Coachlars, Carriers, Waymen and Locksters, but the Seafarers Guild doles out only 8 gp), or even by maintaining an “old bones lodge” (nursing home) for guild members (sometimes taking in non-members for stiff fees, to support the care of guild members who are charged little or nothing).
* Providing moneychanging and moneylending services to members in need, at set (always lower than “stranger in the market”) rates agreed-upon at guild meetings; most guilds also provide “secure” money storage for members, who often prefer such “silent” storage to banking coins with the Royal Court, where tax collectors can take note of amounts of funds specific individuals are handling.
* Providing (and insisting on the presence of) guild members as observers when caravans arrive for fairs at Jester’s Green or elsewhere around Hilp or “south of the Starwater,” or ships unload at the docks in Suzail, to see what cargoes are arriving, in which containers, and intended for sale where and to whom. This allows them to see if Court-approved guild measures are being adhered to, have a day or so of warning about price fluctuations due to oversupplies “flooding the market” or shortages developing because expected cargoes didn’t arrive, and so on.

Guilds in Cormyr may also unofficially do a lot of other things, from investing members’ profits to engaging in (or hiring others to perform) arson, vandalism, or theft against guild competitors or rivals. All guilds lobby against outlander peddlers or shipcaptains competing directly against a guild without adhering to the aforementioned Court-approved guild measures (amounts and sizes), and quite openly gather information as to who is trading in what goods, and argue before the Royal Court as to what guild shall have a say (“purview”) over a newly-introduced good or service (e.g. are harnesses for additional draft animals that are designed to be easily hitched into, or linked with, the harnesses worn by other animals already hitched to a coach or wagon properly to be administered by The Guild of Coachlars, Carriers, Waymen and Locksters, or by The Tanners and Leatherers?). Almost every guild charges its members fees, and its apprentices or would-be members higher fees than members are charged. The Royal Court must be kept fully informed of changes in these fees and of requirements for full membership, and Court officers aggressively investigate all complaints of apprentices or trial members being prevented from (or facing unusual difficulties in) acquiring full membership. The Crown prohibits non-Cormyreans, and Cormyreans of noble or royal blood, from being guildmasters; most guilds prohibit persons who don’t own land in Cormyr from being guild members. Crown law prevents race or gender from having any part in guild membership rules.
Almost every guild tries to control the professional behaviour of its members in some way, either through formal rules or through informal secret edicts and temporary boycotts (e.g. “No member of The Vintners and Falconers Guild is to trade with any member of The Brewers and Cheesemakers Guild until further notice from the Grand Hooded Vintner [guildmaster]”).

Guilds are formed by successful petition to the Crown: a royal charter is granted that sets forth membership requirements, founding roster of members, rota of officers, and guild rules. It includes the grant of a badge or “device” to be used by the guild (not a heraldic grant of arms, though the Heralds do keep records of these badges, and may also separately grant arms to guilds who desire and pay for a grant). All guilds are required to keep up-to-date formal rolls at Court and in their HQ, recording all changes in membership, rules and fees, and in this case “up to date” means “must reflect all changes fully and accurately within a tenday, or face stiff fines and a mark of censure.”
Two marks of censure against any guild means an automatic War Wizard investigation of all guild activities, taxes, and finances; six marks means the guild charter is forfeit. Marks are officially rescinded after investigation, never automatically removed after passage of time.

So saith Ed. I’ll bring you the second half of his reply (the list of current guilds) next time.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  08:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Ed,

I doubt Ed can do more than give his opinion, Kuje. IMHO this is a DM's disgression issue.

quote:

I started a very similar thread in the Mature/Book of Exalted Deeds section of the Boards that Shall Not Be Named (the thread title was "Sanctify the Wicked... not good?"). In the end, there was no consensus.

The problem with the spell is that it has a single Will save. This Will save in no way reflects a choice made by the creature... Merely it measures it's resistance to the initial part of the spell (ripping the soul from the body and trapping it in a gem). Is it not remotely possible that the creature could choose not to turn Good in the course of the spell (12 months)?

The other problem I have with the spell is that if the creature is in the gem for 11 months and 30 days (one day prior to 12 months, is what I'm getting at), and the gem is then shattered - the creature remains Evil and, what's more, seeks out the caster for revenge. If there was a true choice on behalf of the creature, surely it wouldn't matter if the gem was shattered close to the end of the duration? IMHO, There should be a specific turning point where the creature gets another Will save that specifically reflects their choice in the matter, and then it doesn't matter after that if the gem is shattered.

I thought I had sorted all this out in my head, but it seems I'm still vacilating. Personally no character of mine would EVER use this spell, and as a DM I'd be loathe to let any Good character get away with using the spell without consequence (thank the gods that the spell can't just be cast willy nilly, because the caster must sacrifice a whole level each time).

Lastly, it's unclear whether or not this spell would work on a demon (or other Subtype Evil creature) - certianly the BoED makes an exception for Subtype Evil creatures in the "diplomatic conversion" section (ie: it won't work on Subtype Evil creatures). Personally, since the spell doesn't specifically exclude them, I'd allow it. Also, diplomatic conversion is so much bunkum IMHO, I don't think it's possible to change an evil creature that doesn't want to be changed in that fashion... at least not in the amount of time specified. (I don't have my books here to check the specifics of that.) Please note: I'm a big fan of the idea that Celestials can fall and Fiends can rise, so don't think that I don't believe it is possible for a fiend to turn good... I think it is possible, but the circumstances would have to be quite extraordinary and extremely rare.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  13:23:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Personally, I don't see what all the soul-searching angst is about re the "Sanctify the Wicked" situation. Quite simply you are making a creature that is inherently evil into something that is inherently good - where's the badness in that? Doing so against its will doesn't change what it is you are doing, and saying that doing so is a bad thing is like saying rehabilitating criminals is a bad thing because that occurs against their will also. Geez, people sure make themselves jump through hoops over at those 'other' boards.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  16:39:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Personally, I don't see what all the soul-searching angst is about re the "Sanctify the Wicked" situation. Quite simply you are making a creature that is inherently evil into something that is inherently good - where's the badness in that? Doing so against its will doesn't change what it is you are doing, and saying that doing so is a bad thing is like saying rehabilitating criminals is a bad thing because that occurs against their will also. Geez, people sure make themselves jump through hoops over at those 'other' boards.

-- George Krashos

Evidently it's an evil thing to do because you are taking away the demons free will and turning it good against said will.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:03:56  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Hmm . If you are just changing sub-type that is one thing. Suculbus Paladin, retained the Evil subtype for example, it is different then changing alignment. Both however could indeed be considered a non good action without having consent. To be evil perhaps not, killing that evil goblin is not considered an Evil act, convert evil goblin to non evil is not evil. Just preventing them from doing Evil is generally considered a good act (if you kill or convert them).

The Sineater methord might be better, where traget after losing gets to choose a new path, is not listed as a evil ability.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:08:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Hmm . If you are just changing sub-type that is one thing. Suculbus Paladin, retained the Evil subtype for example, it is different then changing alignment. Both however could indeed be considered a non good action without having consent. To be evil perhaps not, killing that evil goblin is not considered an Evil act, convert evil goblin to non evil is not evil. Just preventing them from doing Evil is generally considered a good act (if you kill or convert them).

The Sineater methord might be better, where traget after losing gets to choose a new path, is not listed as a evil ability.

I agree but the one major poster who is arguing this said it's better to just kill the demon then take away it's free will and turn it good against it's will. So killing it is fine but turning it good with a spell isn't... It's like people want equal rights for fiends now and pretty soon they'll want drow walking openly in Waterdeep.

But if we are going to keep discussing this, let's shift it to it's own scroll cause we are taking over Ed's. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Sep 2005 17:10:14
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  21:31:17  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
I'll add another question for Ed on my stack..

Having recently read your Elminster's guide to the realms article from Dragon #320 about the Roaring Dragon gaming house, I've decided to inclut it in my current campaign. One of my PC just being promoted from rank-file to "full membership" among the Shadow thieves of Waterdep, I got the idea of some thieving actions at this place..

First, is there enough wealth in there to justify the risks taken? Maybe if there a special event?

Second, how much magic is used in there for purpose of security ?

Third, probably the most important.. the house being outside of the city's wll, if a crime is commited there, who's in charge of it ? I suppose that if some noble's guarded wagon is attacked, the City guard will try to find the thieves..

Of course, any ideas/comments about this place would be interesting, even if it doesn't my questions ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2005 :  03:09:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring you the second part of Ed’s reply to Asgetrion, in the matter of guilds of the Forest Kingdom:

The Illegal “Guilds”
I’m going to omit discussion of the Fire Knives and other nascent thieves’ “guilds” here; such illicit organizations have traditionally held little power in Cormyr (outside of Marsember and small but frequent amounts of Dragon Coast smuggling).

Craft Guilds
I’m also distinguishing between “The Guilds” dealt with here and the low-profile local “craft guilds” found in every town and city in Cormyr (some villages have fledgling craft guilds, and those in cities tend to be little more than powerless bitching-societies).
Craft guilds (a real-world historian might call them “merchants’ guilds”) are collectives of most crafters or shopkeepers in a particular place (rather than just those engaged in a specific profession) who try to buy materials in bulk to arrange lower prices and shipping costs, argue taxes down to a minimum, and seek to establish common working conditions (and thus eliminate “unfair advantages” gained by merchants who work family members, children they’ve taken in, and debtors they have holds over to near-slavery).
Craft guilds tend to have names like the Benevolent Muster of Merchants of Eveningstar, and the Loyal Council of Coinfellows of Espar.
The chief benefits of both craft guilds and “The Guilds” are social: members can swiftly spread word among their fellow guild members of prices, practises, swindles, and other news (cutting down on impostures, false rumors of shortages designed to drive up prices of materials, and confidence tricks), hear which journeymen are seeking new employment and which masters seeking new hires, and learn which apprentices have acquired real skills (preventing unscrupulous masters from never granting them recognition, by providing them chances to get hired away as a journeyman by someone else). In turn, novices can learn who’s best at this or that specialty of guildcraft (the best knife polisher, the best toolmaker, the crafter whose work is most fashionable among lavishly-spending nobles, and so on).

THE Guilds
These true craft fraternities (that is, organizations of workers engaged in the same specific profession or a small group of related professions) have been somewhat curbed in powers, hauteur, and fripperies (uniforms, secret handshakes, arcane festivals and rituals, and suchlike pomp) since their excesses during the time of the Tuigan Horde (said excesses including starting to pass their own internal laws and advise their members on which Crown laws to obey and which to ignore or openly flout, and closely allying with certain noble families who had their own treasonous agendas, in which some guilds participated for agreed-upon financial gain).
The Bricklayers Guild, flourishing at this time, now no longer exists because it became a front for several noble families who enriched themselves (while they planned a coup to seize the Dragon Throne) through smuggling stolen goods and small valuables about the country, evading taxes, by hiding such items inside hollow bricks made by the guild.
The Guilds have traditionally held little power, but were “feeling their brawn” (as the Cormyrean expression has it) just before the arrival of the Tuigan Horde, led by the aforementioned Bricklayers, The Sculptors and Masons Guild, and The Guild of Carpenters and Joiners. These construction guilds are now carefully law-abiding, but have learned the value of their work (from urban dwellers to wealthy nobles aspiring to live in ever-grander residences and erect ever-fancier follies, folk who want grand structures built must pay handsomely), and continue to be locally politically active, pursuing and guarding their own interests with passion and manipulative skill.
“The Guilds” currently recognized in Cormyr, listed in rough descending order of influence, are:

* The Sculptors and Masons Guild
* The Guild of Carpenters and Joiners
* The Armorers Guild
* The Guild of Coachlars, Carriers, Waymen and Locksters
* The Truebreeds Guild
* The Seafarers Guild
* The Vintners and Falconers Guild
* The Brewers and Cheesemakers Guild
* The Roofers, Thatchers, and Glaziers Guild
* The Tanners and Leatherers Guild
* The Guild of Weavers and Coopers
* The Guild of Naturalists

Ed will send me short entries for each guild tomorrow, and I will of course send them on to all of you as soon as I receive them.
Ed also added these swift postscripts:

Lady Zandilar, Alustriel’s daughters are indeed under NDA restrictions right now (which of course POSSIBLY means someone MAY have plans to use or mention one of them in Realms fiction being written as we speak: more I Cannot Say, other than to look innocent and say that I personally am not writing anything at this time involving any character I know to be a daughter of Alustriel).

Kuje, re. the Weave debate: You’re correct in saying the Weave is “in” everything living, dead, undead, inanimate, sky, soil, liquid, gas, solid, water, and so on. What the FRCS says is that raw magic (that is, the stuff that powers spells and magic items as folk in the Realms know them now) wouldn’t exist without the Weave.
As George Krashos so rightly points out, that DOESN’T mean those things (and their usual natural processes and energy flows) would cease to exist if the Weave ceased to: it means “the magic” AS FAERUNIANS KNOW IT would erupt into chaos and then “cease to exist.” The natural flows would still happen, after a brief chaos, but beings desiring to use magic would have to find new ways of accessing those flows (either new systems of magic, or tinkering with existing spells to make them work again: in other words, the “raw magic” of before would no longer exist.
The distinction here is between the flows of energy and the system of accessing and manipulating (harnessing) them. To say that magic is the flows of energy is oversimplification, but “works” and therefore is right when everything’s functioning normally under the Weave. To say that magic is the system of harnessing those energies is (more) truly correct.
I agree that the canon passages you’ve referenced MAKE IT SOUND AS IF there could be a planet (or Realmspace)-destroying cataclysm; that IS an inference one can easily draw.
However, as Nighthawk08 correctly pointed out, Mystryl/Mystra has perished before, and the Realms is “still here.”
Kuje, you posted: “If the Weave has no effect on the things that it is present in, then why bother telling us that the Weave is present in those things because otherwise there's no point to print that if it has no effect on anything.” Ah, but the point of printing it is to establish (like a bylaw telling drivers that “wherever no speed limit signs are posted, the speed limit is X”) that unless you’re told specifically otherwise (e.g. dead magic zones), the Weave reaches everywhere, and thus magic functions everywhere in Realmspace. It may function wildly or weakly in some places, and may be VERY powerful in others (earth nodes, divine magic around altars, etc.) but it does “reach everywhere.” It’s the designers’ way of telling you that the magic system (of spells your characters can learn) is an inherent part of all the Realms, not something that functions by whim or divine fiat in certain lands only. Gods can restrict or work against certain magic functions in a specific area, but the default is “magic everywhere.”
Kuje, you and Dargoth are correct in saying that certain races (notably elves and dragons) have been written of as “of the Weave,” but you’re both incorrect in assuming that in a Realms without the Weave, elves and dragons would cease to exist. In a Realms without MAGIC elves and dragons (as we know them) would cease to exist, yes (which of course means that some elves and dragons probably would survive, but with very different powers and natures than the elves and dragons we know - - think dragons without spells or breath weapons or great longevity, elves without longevity and magical aptitude and most immunities or resistances). Again, it’s the difference between the Weave (our concept for the great web of magical flows, but actually strictly speaking our system of incantations and material similarities and rituals and mental states for accessing the natural flows that we call “magic”) and magic.
To those who respond that this sounds like splitting hairs: yup. All of magic in D&D IS splitting hairs. It’s why most spells won’t work (or will have unintended results) if you screw up the verbal, somatic, or material components of the casting.
And remember (to split some hairs myself) when I wrote (in postings on this thresd last year) of the forces and flows making up Toril, I carefully said that I was “roughly” describing things, and providing analogies so that ‘one could think of things in this way’ rather than saying “things ARE this way.”

Kuje, re. Slime Lord’s demonhandling debate:
What’s wrong in this entire discussion is that posters are using their own real-world views and understandings of alignments and “correct” alignment behaviour to decide what a character in the Realms would or should rightly do.
The correct way to decide on this is to decide the doctrine of the church of the character’s principal faith on this matter.
After all, if the character wasn’t sure what was right, they would turn to the nearest priest for advice. Veteran adventurers “generally already know” the general tenor of each faith’s creed on adventuring-related matters, either from hearing such advice over the years, or from overhearing it, retold secondhand in taverns (even if inaccurately) as “what befell others.”
In this case, the SPELL is deemed “good” in the rules. Therefore, if the spell is used and accepted by the primary faith to which Slime Lord’s character belongs, then casting the spell is a good act in that faith, and therefore to that character. If the character isn’t a priest or close worshipper of any one faith, but “caught between several,” than the character must make a moral decision based on the moral codes (Faerűnian faiths, not real-world “absolutes” that gamers can obviously disagree over) he or she is familiar with.
Slime Lord’s character is really facing the age-old “does the end justify the means?” question: can you morally do something evil or questionable to achieve a good result? Turning evil to good is good, in the clear-cut alignment system of the game. So whether or not the casting is an evil or questionable act, and whether or not its results outweigh whatever evil it may be deemed to have, is up to the tenets of the faith the character follows (read: direct advice of priests, who can consult with senior priests, who can consult with the god personally or with divine servant creatures who communicate directly with the god).

So saith Ed. Whew. Not an unfamiliar argument to those in one of my professions. I’ll leave you to it. Myself, I just offer my body in friendship, and those who react in an unfriendly manner earn my hostile responses. Simple. So send me your well-endowed demons. I’ve a heap of saving to do.
I do, of course, wish that things could be that flippantly simple in the real world.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Sep 2005 03:11:44
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2005 :  04:02:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed and THO,

Thank you for the clarification to the Weave debate.

Slime Lord also sends his thanks and if it's any help his character is a sorcerer of Lathander. You pretty much answered his question but if you got time to squeeze out a short, or long, reply about that new bit of info he'd appreciate it.

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Sep 2005 04:04:24
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2005 :  04:25:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Ed and THO,

Thank you for the clarification to the Weave debate.
Indeed, I also appreciate this. I'm glad to see my original thoughts about "Weave-less" elves and dragons weren't that far of Ed's mark -- there are still basic principles that must be applied to Weave-sensitive races, even if the Weave itself is non-existent.

Thanks Ed .

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000