Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  11:26:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Man, they did me a favor when they banned me from that site!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  17:32:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To Wooly Rupert: thanks for the VolosBG pdf. Much appreciated. Yes, aside from the purely game-mechanics-related material, almost all my own lore, but rewritten by someone else. Good to have as reference material.

'Tis my pleasure to return Realmslore to source of so much of it.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  18:03:13  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
From all I've read, the 'controversy' with the 'Christian' fanatics did nothing but good for TSR's sales, so the company's latterday attitude perplexes me.

'Uncommon', 'Rare': Not CCG terms, Forgotten Realms Adventures terms! I'd love to see just a list of some of the Common spells not yet revealed: farspeak etc. and the many non-adventuring spells that have never seen print (some of which have been mentioned, such as sound-dampening magics).

Edited by - Faraer on 22 Sep 2005 18:03:43
Go to Top of Page

Greenpiece
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  19:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Greenpiece's Homepage Send Greenpiece a Private Message
Greetings Ed!

I've seen mention of two weapons used by Gruumsh and was curious about the history of them. I've seen mention of his favored weapon being The Bloodspear, and also seen mention of it being a weapon called Elfslayer...Are these infact the same weapon or different ones? Whats the history behind them? Does he prefer one over the other?

With love,

GP
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  03:44:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Another collection of mini-replies from Ed:

To Asgetrion: thanks very much for the rave review of SILVERFALL. I’m very glad you liked it, because although it’s flawed by the “pass the baton” format my editor insisted on and by my own inability to tell the story without running over my wordcount (leading to abrupt endings), I’m very pleased with it yet a lot of Realms fans seemed to overlook it or hate it. The “Ed loves his Mary-Sues” brigade really rode it hard, betraying their utter lack of understanding of the Realms many times (the ladies are darn near gods, folks, and portrayed that way, NOT characters I’m hopelessly in love with).
Hope you’ve enjoyed “Best of Eddie” and CITY OF SPLENDORS. As to how I find the time to write them all: no sleep. Work myself to near-heart-attacks and spreading obesity. Love doing so. Next. :}

To EvilKnight: I have recorded some play sessions, long ago (cassette tape recorder era), and yes a video probably WOULD be adult-only fare. Although the lore-preservation idea allures, I’ve simply (see my comments to Asgetrion, above) no time to do podcasts. Revenue stream? Oooh, that’d be nice. Preferably one that didn’t flow straight from my pocket to the nice tax people, this time. :}

Mkhaiwati, if I had more time and money I’d build a mansion with my own airport, stuff it full of food and hot tubs and gamers, and run week-long Realms sessions constantly - - so anyone who wanted to could join the “home” Realms campaign. Unfortunately, game design and novel writing doesn’t really bring in all that much money, and I’ve no time to do anything like that. Sorry. THO just gave you a taste of the subplots: we keep things far more complex than, say, Joss Whedon televison scripts. The ‘good campaign’ principles aren’t secrets, of course; I’m not surprised you and I crafted similar ones after thinking about what we wanted in our campaigns for more than a few minutes. If I ever find a spell for spinning myself more time, however, I’ll let scribes here know when the Realmsplay starts!

SiriusBlack, I don’t think you can go wrong with good, full-bodied dry red wines when entertaining a certain Mr. Archer. However, being named in a dedication doesn’t get you even one copper piece. Hey, I wrote half the thing, and I probably won’t be seeing many of them, either! :}

So saith Ed, who’s still hard at work writing Realms masterpieces. Oh, the secrets up his sleeves! (When he runs out of sleeve space, he reaches under my blouse and stuffs some secrets up here and there. Ooooh, and THERE, too.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  05:46:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, who’s still hard at work writing Realms masterpieces. Oh, the secrets up his sleeves! (When he runs out of sleeve space, he reaches under my blouse and stuffs some secrets up here and there. Ooooh, and THERE, too.)
love,
THO

As if we needed more reasons to want to get you out of your clothes, my Lady.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  06:11:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Just so long as they're always going to be fluffy secrets. I can only imagine how uncomfortable you will become should Ed try to stuff crunchy material in such places... .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2005 :  06:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

Walking up to strangers who happen to be wizards and asking if they have a specific spell in their spellbooks usually enjoys about the same success rate as nerds achieve when they walk up to beautiful female strangers on busy streets and ask to sleep with them.

*Smirk*

Show us ya Scrolls!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  09:05:50  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ok thanks for that Wooly.

Ed, I just finished writing an assignment on subcultures (music ones, i.e. punk, grunge, hip-hop etc) for one of my communication assignments on commoditisation. Anyway the question is... are there any subcultures in Toril?

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Talinthonis
Acolyte

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  14:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Talinthonis's Homepage Send Talinthonis a Private Message
Well met Ed. A few person I know and I have been looking through many sourcebooks, trying to find more informations than "Underdark" gives us about the "Blackened Fist", but we couldn't find anything. Can you tell us about their relations with Lolth clergy, who has their adoration, what they are up to, or any informations that might be of interest? That would be greatly appreciated :)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2005 :  23:30:16  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi,

I was looking at my unanswered questions for Ed, and I saw a big mistake :)

I was asking an "update" of the status of Llorkh ruins , I don't know why I typed that, but I meant Ascore ruins.

Those ruins were the final part of an old CRPG (Gateway to the savage frontier) and I always wanted to use them in a campaign..

My other question was about the usage of drugs (and how the watch/guard deal with it) in Waterdeep, now that drugs are part of the Realms that could even make an interesting article ;)

I'll add one on the stack : I'm looking for any "unpublished lore" (I've given a look everywhere except very obscure soucres) on the Masked Lady (Lhestyn).. How she was killed exactly, her patron deity, any info on how she manage to destroy the Shadow Thieves in Waterdeep, how Marune escaped her wrath, etc, etc.

Edit : Some months ago, I asked for updated info about the Moonsea and Ed responded that "I could only hope about".. with the Mysteries of Moonsea confirmed by R. Baker... I ask myself if Ed knew at that time or not ?

Edited by - Skeptic on 25 Sep 2005 23:36:37
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  03:06:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed has just returned from a lovely time at the 15th anniversary Phantasm, a nice, very small local con that he highly recommends; it usually features a workshop from Ed and/or another guest gaming professional, a SCA fighting demonstration, a handful of vendors (this year notably including the startup gaming firm Hybrid, debuting the EQUAT10N game) and games from Magic to Warhammer to (of course) D&D. Want to spend four hours gaming in the Realms with Ed as DM? Or talk to him for as long about how to get published, or how to create your own fantasy world setting? Phantasm is one of the best places to do that.
Thus recharged, Ed makes reply to Reldra:

Hi, Reldra. When I wrote: “The Boar presides over the kitchen staff (stolid middle-aged women with names like Reldra and Immra” I did indeed mean that two of the staff really are called “Reldra” and “Immra.”
However, in the Realms, both Reldra and Immra are everyday contractions of longer, more formal, rarely used (except by disapproving parents, aunts, and grandparents, of course!) names: Ahmarreldra and Darimmra. These names echo the names of once-famous local adventurers, the sorcerer Ahmarreld and the “swordsman” (probably fighter) Darimm, and were very popular only when those now long-dead men were well remembered. Hence, women who are now middle-aged are the last generation likely to often be given them - - just as Victorian feminine names in our real world like “Bertha” and “Ernestine” were once very popular but are rare today.

So saith Ed. Who also slipped in a swift reply for Gareth Yaztromo:

Gareth, Wooly Rupert and The Sage have already ably answered you as to the already-published appearances of Hesperdan. As for the first part of your question: NDA must be the main thrust of my reply to you, but I’ll also add this much: neglect not Page 63 of this thread (this year), wherein Realms Lorelord George Krashos makes an insightful comment on this very topic. Nay, I’ll add a touch more: the inference you might most easily draw from reading Krash’s words is not the WHOLE tale.

So saith Ed, who loves being mysterious. He’ll return on the morrow, even as he plunges once more into his “official” writing.
And a note to Skeptic: your latest post makes me think you missed Ed’s lengthy reply to your “drugs in Waterdeep” question. It appears on page 64 of this thread. Re. Ascore rater than Llorkh: understood, but Ed tells me that Ascore is now NDA.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  03:39:10  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Just wondering, given some of the topics I've gotten into lately, but dear Ed, any chance that you might give the Company of Crazed Venturers the same treatment as the Knights of Myth Drannor. I know they haven't turned up as often in the literary Realms, but they obviously included some rather important characters to the current atmosphere of the Realms . . .
Go to Top of Page

nagitiveD
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  04:00:51  Show Profile  Visit nagitiveD's Homepage Send nagitiveD a Private Message
hi'there i was just wondering if Ed was planning on restoring sylune of the silver fall novel to full life instead of having her to use those magicaly created bodies ,and what spells does Elminster use to create said bodies.

Brendon Graycloak

Edited by - nagitiveD on 26 Sep 2005 04:02:18
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  10:11:53  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Greetings again, Ed and Hood.

Just wondering that will Ed ever plans to shed some light on Khelben's past like he's done with Elminster. It would be nice to see how Khelben started out and how he came to be Mystra's servant. And also when and why Elminster decided to settle in Shadowdale? Thank you kindly.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."

Edited by - Lauzoril on 26 Sep 2005 10:13:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  11:30:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings again, Ed and Hood.

Just wondering that will Ed ever plans to shed some light on Khelben's past like he's done with Elminster. It would be nice to see how Khelben started out and how he came to be Mystra's servant. And also when and why Elminster decided to settle in Shadowdale? Thank you kindly.

We may see more of Khelben's past in the upcoming novel Blackstaff, by Steven Schend.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  20:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I enthusiastically second the motion for more info on Ascarle. I just finished Tangled Webs and would heartily welcome a book-length exposition on Ascarle, its rise and fall, and its present circumstances (it was barely scratched in the recent war).

Apropos of Ascarle, I'd like more information about the motives of "the Kraken" (if they aren't NDA). The Kraken Society is repeatedly called an information gathering network, but it is so surprisngly violent and unscrupulous that I want to know more about its deepest motivations. We know quite a bit about the Regent's intentions, but none (that I've seen) about The Kraken's.

Also, harkening back to my eternal query about Faerun's "Classics," is epic poetry common in Faerun? If it is, is one race more noted for epic poetry than others, and are their poems held in high regard by other races? I can readily imagine that the fall of Ascarle is the subject of an epic, but I am not altogether certain that it would have been composed by an elf. A human skald may well have composed such a tale and used it for his own purposes (as a morality lesson, to assign Ascarle's fall to some human heroes, etc.).

As always, I eagerly look forward to more Realmslore, Ed, and enthusiastically thank you for it!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Nighthawk08
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  23:25:57  Show Profile  Visit Nighthawk08's Homepage Send Nighthawk08 a Private Message
Where do Firbolgs stand in the world of Toril? In the moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles firbolgs were evil, humans and dwarves fought them side by side. Yet in the cleric quintet by RA Salvatore, Ivan the dwarf said they were great friends with dwarves and elves (but he wouldnt hold it against them :-P). Is this a writers mishap or because of all the time that had passed between the 2 books??
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2005 :  23:46:52  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk08

Where do Firbolgs stand in the world of Toril? In the moonshae trilogy by Douglas Niles firbolgs were evil, humans and dwarves fought them side by side. Yet in the cleric quintet by RA Salvatore, Ivan the dwarf said they were great friends with dwarves and elves (but he wouldnt hold it against them :-P). Is this a writers mishap or because of all the time that had passed between the 2 books??

As much as I like Mr Niles books, he confused the firbolgs with the formorians in those novels. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  00:45:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I knew there was an explanation for that. Sometimes the simple things elude us. Thanks Kuje. Oh, and btw, congrats on the promotion to mod (I know, I know, I'm as behind in my congrats as I am in my FR reading...)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  00:57:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I knew there was an explanation for that. Sometimes the simple things elude us. Thanks Kuje. Oh, and btw, congrats on the promotion to mod (I know, I know, I'm as behind in my congrats as I am in my FR reading...)

Danka and I know I had a link about that formorian discussion once but I seemed to have misplaced it. Maybe it was on the mailing list.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  00:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I know I already have a couple of questions in the queue, but here's a quick one I just thought of...

We know Alustriel has daughters, but her sons get all the press. I was wondering what you could tell us about them... I'm not really after any deep or meaningful information (though that would be nice), but approximate number, ages, and some names would be good.

(I ask because I'm about to embark on some fan fiction writing... Yes, about some of Alustriel's daughters... so the names and ages of at least three (the youngest of adventuring age?) would be useful... I can make up the rest (history/background) if needed (it is fan fiction, after all), but I'd like "authentic" names. )

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  01:17:31  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Heya,

I know I already have a couple of questions in the queue, but here's a quick one I just thought of...

We know Alustriel has daughters, but her sons get all the press. I was wondering what you could tell us about them... I'm not really after any deep or meaningful information (though that would be nice), but approximate number, ages, and some names would be good.

(I ask because I'm about to embark on some fan fiction writing... Yes, about some of Alustriel's daughters... so the names and ages of at least three (the youngest of adventuring age?) would be useful... I can make up the rest (history/background) if needed (it is fan fiction, after all), but I'd like "authentic" names. )

Steven gave us info last year about the twelve sons and it could be found in my 2004 files..... :) But if you want info about her daughters, Ed once said they were off limits.

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Sep 2005 01:20:50
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  01:20:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Apropos of Ascarle, I'd like more information about the motives of "the Kraken" (if they aren't NDA). The Kraken Society is repeatedly called an information gathering network, but it is so surprisngly violent and unscrupulous that I want to know more about its deepest motivations. We know quite a bit about the Regent's intentions, but none (that I've seen) about The Kraken's.

Have you read the write-up of the Kraken Society in the 2E product "Cloak & Dagger"? It provides quite a lot of information re motivationand activities of the big slimy one and his minions.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  03:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Steven gave us info last year about the twelve sons and it could be found in my 2004 files..... :) But if you want info about her daughters, Ed once said they were off limits.

NDAs again? Surely not!

I suppose it doesn't make sense to me that her daughters are completely off limits while her sons aren't... *wanders off completely confuzzled*

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  04:35:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed replies to Kuje’s plea for a debate-ending response to this: “What would happen to Realmspace/Toril/Faerun if the Weave was completely destroyed or Mystra was and no deity replaced the Weave or her? You've hinted in the past but some posters need more then hints to get the clear picture. And is Chauntea more powerful then Mystra because Chauntea has a higher divine rank according to Faiths & Pantheons even though you've repeatedly said Mystra is more powerful.”
Ed speaks:

First and foremost, all gamers should remember that none of the information about the gods of the Realms can truly be trusted: it’s a collection of what mortals imperfectly understand and can visualize (muddied by the ‘pet theories’ of many sages and priests, both current and down the centuries) about divine beings who may or may not impart accurate information to their worshippers (as the power of deities is related to the number and strength of their worshippers, it’s best to think of deities as somewhat akin to used-car salesmen in the real world, presenting everything to make themselves look good or at least vitally necessary and as important as possible). So arguments about specifics of the gods (as opposed to their mortal churches and faithful) are essentially futile, because none of the data those arguing use can be trusted.
With that said, the Weave can most precisely be defined as a system of “seeing” (identifying, understanding, and influencing or “calling on”) the natural flows of energy in Realmspace/Toril/Faerûn.
Some folk say the Weave IS magic, and that magic is natural energy harnessed. Priests of Mystra often say that “Mystra IS the Weave.”
The priests are correct: Mystra is the Weave, and if there was another deity controlling magic, whatever precise system of harnessing natural energies (whether it was called the Weave or not) would be (at the least) subtly different from the Weave as Faerûnians know it today.
The “some folk” in my sentence above are for all practical daily purposes correct, but not precisely accurate: the Weave is the predominant and “most correct” (and thus, most powerful) means of harnessing natural energies: in other words, it is magic but it’s not the ONLY magic (as evidenced by the Shadow Weave and other, less-powerful alternatives to the Weave: table magic, pluma magic, etc.).
It seems likely that to destroy Mystra would be to destroy the Weave, and vice versa (I say likely because a lot would depend on the deeds and dispositions of other “deities of magic” like Azuth, Savras, Velsharoon, and the nonhuman deities concerned with governance over magic, at the time of the fall of Mystra and/or the Weave). This would NOT mean that Realmspace/Toril/Faerûn would necessarily be destroyed, nor that magic would ‘go away.’ It probably would mean a lot of widespread magical chaos, and magic that thereafter ‘worked differently’ (either wholly or subtly) from the system of spells described in the current game rulebooks - - because they deal with magic in Faerûn “under the Weave.” So a DM who wants to change magic in his or her Realms campaign to a spell-points system, or back to the spell levels and descriptions of earlier D&D editions, or substitute magic systems from other games, or just “tinker” with the published spells, could readily use a “destruction of the Weave” catacalysm as an in-game reason for such alterations.
As for the differing ranks of Chauntea and Mystra: two factors apply here. The first is that divine “rankings” are part of the game rules, a way of expressing relative power relationships AS MORTALS SEE THEM. In other words, Lolth doesn’t turn to Malar and say, “Nyah nyah! I’m an Intermediate Deity and you’re only a Lesser Deity!” (Why? Because neither of them even knows the terms, let alone clearly understands or accepts the power differences between them.)
The gods carry on endless struggles for supremacy and influence, tempered by their natures (which are in large part governed by their portfolios: in other words, Tempus is a warlike, competitive god, but Eldath isn’t, and never will be; Tempus may do aggressive things but any violence Eldath engages in will essentially be defensive or retributive), but they don’t get little gold stars or anything else that tells them their divine rank today.
They can often sense their relative level of power versus another deity, but may well be wrong: Realms fiction is full of scenes wherein gods obviously have different views over who’s most powerful, and who should prevail.
Moreover, the importance of a deity in the eyes of mortals has to do with how important they are, and how liked (or rather welcomed) they are, versus how feared they may be.
Humans have to eat, so agriculture and the bounty of nature are more important than magic (remember, game adventures and fiction tend to concentrate on power, and therefore on magic and its users and on adventurers and royalty more than the majority of “folk really living in the Realms” would) and fear abundantly-growing vegetables (remember, blights, diseases, poisonings, and natural crop-destroying disasters like storms, early winter weather, mudslides, and volcanic eruptions are all blamed on other deities) a lot less than they do magic (which is important, but not quite as important as food). Advantage Chauntea.
The second factor is the deliberate distribution of Mystra’s power amongst other deities (Azuth, et al) and among mortals (her Chosen), lessening her “true total” of power. Again, advantage Chauntea.
So Chauntea is more essential to the lives of more humans in Faerûn, and thus more powerful - - but by her natural-cycles, nuturing nature a lot more passive and slow-moving. Chauntea can’t and doesn’t lash out with her power. Mystra can, and (sometimes, especially in Realms-shaking times or when her portfolio is held by a green recent-mortal who’s still “learning the ropes”) does. Mystra can call up and wield far more power than Chauntea (so is “more powerful” by THAT measure) and is more important among the gods, because all gods use (and dispense to mortals) magic, and Mystra has successfully gained control over magic through the Weave (gods can bypass her to call on natural forces directly only in limited ways, simulated in 2nd Edition by the ability of priests to gain 1st and 2nd level spells without contact with the gods). So Mystra can influence the relative powers of gods in their struggles with each other, by how she limits or augments the specific amount of natural energies specific gods can source, and precisely how they can do so (magic).
It’s like the difference between a jackhammer and a tree: if you’re defending a perfectly flat, flawless asphalt surface, a man with a jackhammer is an immediate threat whom you’ll run to prevent first - - even though the roots of the tree, if not severed and the tree prevented from vigorously replacing them, will destroy the asphalt just as thoroughly.
I’ve blathered long enough; I hope this helps.
(Saith Ed, creator of Mystra, most of the other deities of Faerûn, Faerûn itself, and divine portfolios.)

Kuje, I added that last line in parentheses to Ed's words, but I suggest you include it when reposting to the Boards That Are Not Named, just to underscore the expertise Ed’s arguing from, especially for younger gamers who tend to mentally separate “old gaming farts” from any understanding of game concepts and details they may currently be arguing about. :}
Ah, well. Back to true Realmslore next time.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  04:41:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Kuje, I added that last line in parentheses to Ed's words, but I suggest you include it when reposting to the Boards That Are Not Named, just to underscore the expertise Ed’s arguing from, especially for younger gamers who tend to mentally separate “old gaming farts” from any understanding of game concepts and details they may currently be arguing about. :}
I sincerely hope that does so good my lady .

I've see Kuje's efforts to enlighten WotC posters who "choose" to ignore canon material or material posted at Candlekeep from Ed, and then claim it as inaccurate... even after he has quoted word for word... the thoughts posted here from the Old Bearded One.

In the past, it has had little effect.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 27 Sep 2005 04:42:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  05:13:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hmm,

My problem with this is that Magic of Faerun and the FRCS says that the Weave is in everything living, dead, undead, inanimate, sky, soil, liquid, gas, solid, water, etc. If the Weave ceased to exist then what would happen to the things that is touched by the Weave?

The FRCS also goes on to say without the Weave, raw magic, which is the stuff of creation, wouldn't exist.

So it kind of gives the impression that without the Weave Realmspace/Toril/Faerun wouldn't exist.

Page 54 in the FRCS, "Raw magic is the frozen stuff of creation, the mute and mindless will of being, suffusing every bit of matter and present in every manifestion of energy in the world."

Page 9 of Magic, "With the Weave gone raw magic quickly dissipates from the world, but only after distrupting existing magic and lashing out at nearby magical conductors.

Same page in Magic, "The Weave is present in everything in Faerun, wether living, dead, undead, inanimate, solid, liquid, or gas. It permeates the soil, suffuses the deeps of the ocean, and stretches to the limits of the air in the sky and beyond."

So as I said, these two books make it sound like without the Weave Realmspace/Toril/Faerun really wouldn't exist.... And there are a few passages where you've said that the Weave is in most everything in Realmspace/Toril/Faerun. So I guess I wasn't making myself clear with my other question... :)

Edited by - Kuje on 27 Sep 2005 06:08:55
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  05:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I got the impression from Prince of Lies that the gods get locked in a certain way of thinking over a period of time. After a while they just cant "Think outside the box" as defined by their own portfolios. The example that springs to mind is the scene in prince of Lies where all of the gods see the other gods in a context to their own portfolios. For example Mystra 2.0 saw all the other gods as Wizards Oghma saw all the other gods as Scribes and Cyric saw all the other gods as clones of himself.

Going off the novels it would seem that a new god isnt locked into this way thinking straight away. Mystra 2.0 Is still concerned about Morality which has nothing to do with her portfolio of Magic.

Ive gotten the impression that if at some point Mystra 2.0 doesnt drop her morality then AO will eventually step in and divide the magic portfolio, likely spliting it between The Good Mystra 2.0, The Neutral Azuth and the Evil Shar. Much the same way the Mulhorandi Pantheon has 3 gods of magic

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2005 :  06:19:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hmm,

My problem with this is that Magic of Faerun and the FRCS says that the Weave is in everything living, dead, undead, inanimate, sky, soil, liquid, gas, solid, water, etc. If the Weave ceased to exist then what would happen to the things that is touched by the Weave?

Why would the absence of the Weave affect these things in any particular way? To use an in-game example, a dead magic zone is an area which is not touched by the Weave, a kind of blank spot. Yet, creatures, living things like plants and animals, air and other stuff can all exist quite merrily in a dead magic zone without needing to be part of the Weave. So basically, I don't see a problem here. The Weave is obviously a dormant, benign aspect of everything in Toril which can be accessed and activated by those who know how - just like the Force in the Stars Wars universe. Not having the Weave 'active' or not having the Weave around at all, just means you can't access it. Have I made myself totally unclear? Thought so.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000