Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  03:00:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

My thanks Ed, for the slavery issue and the Purple Lady. Bah on the 2 parts though! But more lore for me! :)

Indeed, and my thanks as well.

The Luskan example is interesting... similar to what I was talking about with indentured servitude.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Si
Seeker

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  08:08:17  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Kuje, your Purple Lady lore arrives at last!

First, to Si: yes, please repost Ed’s Red Sashes and Waterdeep replies in this thread. Ed informs me that the already-posted Prologue of CITY OF SPLENDORS is set back at the time of the Threat From The Sea, but the rest of the book is current Realms time, jumping from group of characters to group of characters, but never “back and forth” in time.
<brevity snip>

I'll post Ed's replies to the Waterdeep related queries after I have the chance to retrieve them from my work computer tomorrow. Many thanks for the speed of reply, the prospect of modern Waterdhavian Lore is giving me pre-birthday jitters. I know Ed's is NDA'd to death with the Waterdeep stuff, so to raise a neighbouring question would Ed give us any important events/nascent plots in Daggerford recently?
Cheers

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  12:11:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
Daggerford is the initial setting for my conversion of the new Dungeon magazine adventure path entitled the "Age of Worms." See the web enhancement on the Paizo site for Dungeon #124 and #125 (available soon).

Note, t's not canon per se, but a "one-off", but it does deal with Daggerford.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  14:51:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Part three of Spin a Yarn 2004:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p3

Part four of Ed's "Spin a Yarn 2004" is now up:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p4

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:42:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Also, don't miss the second MAKING OF A MAGE short story fragment, "Ghost of a Chance," now posted on the WotC Books front page.
It looks like "The Night Tymora Sneezed" is heading for at least six parts, by the way they're splitting it.
And Kuje, I'm afraid I'll have to break up the Purple Lady Edlore into at least four parts, for length reasons. However (she breathed) I'll make it up to you . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:51:28  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

Also, don't miss the second MAKING OF A MAGE short story fragment, "Ghost of a Chance," now posted on the WotC Books front page.
It looks like "The Night Tymora Sneezed" is heading for at least six parts, by the way they're splitting it.
And Kuje, I'm afraid I'll have to break up the Purple Lady Edlore into at least four parts, for length reasons. However (she breathed) I'll make it up to you . . .
love,
THO

NOOOOOOOOO! Well alright, if you promise to make it up to me. And YAY! More lore for me. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30015 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  17:54:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

And here's the URL:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/ghostchance

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  19:22:08  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message
quote:

Where can I find the first fragment?

- RJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  19:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/bor2fartoo
Go to Top of Page

Rain
Acolyte

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Rain's Homepage  Click to see Rain's MSN Messenger address Send Rain a Private Message
I would just like to say that i am a big fan of Ed Greenwood and especially the Forgotten Realms, it has allways been great when a question on the FR-Mailing list would get an answer from Ed and then to discover a huge thread dedicated to him answering FR questions is a really great experience so i would just like to say Thank You for creating the Realms and in advance for answering any questions.

I often get the impression from various sources that the Chosen of Mystra are a bunch of high level good characters who run around killing evil (and i can imagine people in the realms thinking that aswell), but what they are really doing is furthering the use of magic and stopping the ones who would restrict it, so regarding that

Has Mystra (apart from Sammaster) had any Chosen who were clearly evil?

Have The Chosen ever had to perform 'evil' tasks to help further Mystra's cause?

And (this may be a weird question) do the Chosen or their allies (for example The Harpers) know what Mystras overall point with the Chosen are?

And to something abit different

In the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition book there is shortly described the solar system in which Toril exists and i was wondering if you could tell something about this :

1) There is mention of other planets 'The Dawn Heralds' & 'The five Wanderers' can you say anything at all about them or do they only exist in the few lines in the book?

2) In the description of 'Tears of Selune' it says "Fewer still have actually been there and reported back" So someone must have been there, anything you can say about the place or the people who visited?

Outside. I moved through the smog resolutely.
My eyes were Blue and my shoes were Old and nobody loved me.
But I had things to do.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:45:49  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rain
In the Forgotten Realms 3rd edition book there is shortly described the solar system in which Toril exists and i was wondering if you could tell something about this :

1) There is mention of other planets 'The Dawn Heralds' & 'The five Wanderers' can you say anything at all about them or do they only exist in the few lines in the book?

2) In the description of 'Tears of Selune' it says "Fewer still have actually been there and reported back" So someone must have been there, anything you can say about the place or the people who visited?

These are both detailed in 2e Spelljammer sourcebook called Realmspace. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30015 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2005 :  23:46:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Rain, for your questions about the Tears of Selûne and the planets of the solar system, I'd recommend SJR2 Realmspace, a Spelljammer supplement. It covers the planets, Selûne, the Tears, and some other astronomical features.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jul 2005 23:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rain

Spelljammer.org is dedicated to keeping alive Spelljammer in a 3E world. Here is their page for the crystal sphere of Realmspace (which does not, I believe, contain all of the cool stuff in the TSR supplement Realmspace, but which has cool color graphics): http://spelljammer.org/worlds/Realmspace/

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:43:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all! Thank you, able scribes, for so swiftly answering Rain’s Realmspace questions. I’ll forward everything to Ed, but Rain, please be patient: poor Ed is starting to fall behind on his replies again, overwhelmed by real-world, real-life demands (and WotC deadlines!).
Now, hearken all to the second part of Ed’s Purple Lady festhalls reply to Kuje:

The Lady’s Pleasure is a large, labyrinthine room of tables and booths separated by trees growing in pots, and ornate wooden zigzag folding screens over which vines have been trained. The floor is tight-stretched carpet over tile, and the furniture is all heavy, dark, solid wood.
Sculptures of copper chutes and vessels hung with copper dangle-chimes, through which water endlessly falls (pumped [via seated peddles, like a modern bicycle] in a loop from cellar to top of sculpture, by boys hired for three coppers a night, plus some table leavings to eat, and “a peek at the naked ladies” when they come up from the cellars to get paid), provide background noise to give diners some privacy for their conversations from the next table. Seatings are arranged so the dim, shaded hanging lamps and the various view-blocks provide maximum privacy, from one table to the next.
The dining-hall caters to well-to-do couples and diners desiring to talk quietly or do business. Flirtation and even some sex play is allowed, but must be quiet and discreet (those desiring to “go further” will be invited up a side-stair that only reaches as far as the floor above). Its overall “look” is old money sophistication, cloaked in darkness. Platters are of copper and of wood, with brass cutlery. Tankards are of silver, tallglasses (wine glasses) of crystal, and tables are draped in crimson fineweave linens.
The cuisine consists of generous-helping dishes of fowl, smoked fish, and roasts (boar and beef). All are diced and drenched in various rich cream sauces. The taste is wonderful, the sauces rich and fat-laden, and folk in Westgate generally consider this food both “wonderful” and “as sophisticated as can be had at any great city, anywhere in Faerûn.” It indeed tastes wonderful, is far too heavy for healthy eating - - and is about as sophisticated as the nearest road-tavern (only with nicer sauces).
Vegetables tend to be side-bowls of “long beans” and potatoes, diced with apples and fried in flavoured oils.
Meals are accompanied with as many wines as diners care to accept from the gliding servers (deft, quiet, always-dignified and stonefaced men in black jackcoats and hose), and topped off with fresh fruits served with under drizzled melted chocolate sauces, in crystal goblets.
The kitchen is staffed by three cooks and five “runners and dicers,” and is notable for shared expertise in crafting strongly-flavoured sauces (including the masterful touch of being able to make fish not taste all that “fishy,” if desired). There are normally two shifts, from dusk to midnight, and midnight until dawn (the open hours of the Pleasure) of eight servers each. This is normally ample, but when all sixteen tables and six booths are occupied by diners, the place hops (quietly).
The overall appearance of the Purple Lady as a building is old, well-maintained but no longer as elegant as it once was. Its city-wide reputation is for “elegant sensuality,” and diners in the Pleasure are certainly aware of what goes on “above.” It has its share of matrons who choose to ignore that “regrettable” side of things, but its clientele is dominated by swingers (think Oscar Wilde or P.G. Wodehouse flapper-era [but without the twits] sophistication, only almost entirely sexually “straight”) who enjoy flirtation over a light meal where they won’t be rushed, and then “some fun upstairs.”
A few pimps and spymasters regularly pose as this sort of client in order to meet with “their girls,” to talk over assignments and exchange pay.
The Purple Lady is not a dance-house or a venue for brawls or gambling; the staff firmly usher out anyone openly trying to engage in any of the three. The Lady is no longer a tavern per se, although its diners and occupants of the rooms above consume prodigious amounts of drink.

So saith Ed. Third bit next time, Kuje: Ed tells you about the founding and current staff of the Lady. We’re both awaiting your story, by the way.
love,
THO
P.S. Ed says there's movement on the Castlemorn front (but he can add NOTHING more, yet).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  01:52:18  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Third bit next time, Kuje: Ed tells you about the founding and current staff of the Lady. We’re both awaiting your story, by the way.

:) Have to do some editing to it after reading this essay. :) But I left parts about this place open enough that it doesn't change the tale to much. :) Thanks again for the replies, and I'm looking forward to parts 3 and 4.

Now I just have to sit down and work on the rest as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:17:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

P.S. Ed says there's movement on the Castlemorn front (but he can add NOTHING more, yet).
I appreciate this little tidbit THO. I was just considering whether or not I should ask Ed about what was happening with CASTLEMORN.

Please send along my thanks .

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 03:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Daggerford is the initial setting for my conversion of the new Dungeon magazine adventure path entitled the "Age of Worms." See the web enhancement on the Paizo site for Dungeon #124 and #125 (available soon).

Note, t's not canon per se, but a "one-off", but it does deal with Daggerford.

--Eric

Thank you for posting that. I didn't even know Paizo had web enhancements available. The one to which you refer may not be "canon," but I suspect that in the coming few years we shall hear more about Jergal's supposed millenniums-old plan! I hope that you and the other game designers will keep us abreast of what products we should especially watch for vìs-a-vís Jergal's supposed schemes.

This brings to mind a question which was asked on the Wiz boards a while back, but which I don't think was ever raised here on Ed's scroll: what the heck species does Jergal represent, anyway? I know that thri-kreen are one of the oldest "alien" races in D&D and related products, and someone suggested that he was a thri-kreen lich who has ruled over death and endings on Toril since before the human species arose. I suggested that he may be an elder god who has assured his continued survival by being flexible enough to let would-be usurpers have his portfolio and then stepping in when they "die," but I'm not convinced of that. Dear Ed, what is Jergal? Inquiring fans want to know!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:34:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
As some at Candlekeep already know, I'm a classically trained musician with a passion for baroque music. As such, I have a question for Ed... which relates not only to my personal interests, but also to a project I'm working on for Candlekeep.

Although it is a mundane topic, I find music in fantasy settings to be an extremely rewarding topic to read about. There's been detailings on the music at play in the Realms through the years, however I'm now looking for something extra.

So, what can you tell me about the state of music in the Realms? Whether it be a common bard's song sung in the taverns of Luskan, or a seven-hour long opera about King Azoun's last days in the Royal Court of Cormyr... music touches the lives of all who live in the Realms.

I of course know of the few Dragon articles dedicated to the topic (which you've written in the past), so I've already put those aside for research. I recall the discussion of musical instruments in both the original and 2e boxed sets, as well as the FRCS. And I know also of the instruments and musical works that have been mentioned in some of the novels.

I have all that. What I'm looking for, is how you would visualise the musical scene in some of the more "cultured" regions of the Realms -- for example Sembia, Waterdeep... and perhaps even Thay. What's popular among the upper classes, the middle classes, and the low classes? Have you expanded on the core instruments that we know are already used widely in the Realms.

I realise this is a fairly heavy topic to discuss, so I can appreciate the fact that Ed may have to take his time with this. As always, my thanks to both yourself and the Lady Hooded One .

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 03:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4277 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:50:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Query: Why is it the Ed replies to recent questions when some questions remain unanswered for months? IIRC there are still some unanswered for 04. IAE an NDA could (if ture) at least close for now many pending questions. i can understand some intricate questions/disputes being of greater interest and already answered questions being ignored (odds are good a scribe will provide a pointer to such answe). Some questions out there unanswered appear to be boring basic questions, others certainly could require a more detailed answer that might have to deal with NDA.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30015 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Query: Why is it the Ed replies to recent questions when some questions remain unanswered for months? IIRC there are still some unanswered for 04. IAE an NDA could (if ture) at least close for now many pending questions. i can understand some intricate questions/disputes being of greater interest and already answered questions being ignored (odds are good a scribe will provide a pointer to such answe). Some questions out there unanswered appear to be boring basic questions, others certainly could require a more detailed answer that might have to deal with NDA.

A lot of it is time... Some questions he can answer off the top of his head and/or on the fly, but other questions, he's got to wade into the dark depths where many of us would like to go: his basement full of Realmslore.

Really, it's like any question asked here. If someone knows the answer readily -- either because they know the subject well or because they were just the other day reading about it, then the question is answered quickly. If people have to look up the answer, it takes longer.

Ed's got a lot more on his plate than the next three of us put together, I think. And if he does find a moment or two to research something, he doesn't have just a few books to flip thru, as we do: he's got boxes and boxes of notes.

He has been pretty good about answering questions. As often as not, I see an answer to a months-old question that I forgot about.

We all want our answers... But I'm content to let the Master weave lore as he will.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Has Ed made plans to conserve his collection of notes and his personal papers for posterity?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:56:45  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Has Ed made plans to conserve his collection of notes and his personal papers for posterity?

I believe Kuje and the Candlekeep staff are already handling that ...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:57:37  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I am. :) 04 has been completed for awhile, and Alaundo has some of 05's.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kewl. Does that include letters and laundry lists and all of the other things scholars will want to examine in the coming centuries so that they may analyze Ed and his contribution to American lit and world culture?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:15:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

In fact, Kuje just updated his '05 file with Ed's replies from the previous week.

Check it out!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000