Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  13:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
THO, many thanks. I figured I'd be doing the fans and the story a disservice if I didn't account for and provide at least a scene with some of Khelben's greatest apprentices in BLACKSTAFF. Too bad I can't show Khelben's teaching of his greatest apprentice; it's a family publication after all, and what he and Laeral do is their own business.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  14:24:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Too bad I can't show Khelben's teaching of his greatest apprentice; it's a family publication after all, and what he and Laeral do is their own business.
Maybe not. But you can try to leave subtle hints... eh?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  15:03:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Steven dearest, the title is BLACKSTAFF, remember! Not one little through the ajar-bedchamber-door glimpse of Laeral riding the Bla . . . (ahem)? Not one? Even for Mr. Athans to cough and choke over, before he slashes it? Like Ed’s famous “sacrificial lamb” scenes? To protect your OTHER text?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  17:33:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Too bad I can't show Khelben's teaching of his greatest apprentice; it's a family publication after all, and what he and Laeral do is their own business.

"Who's your Chosen? Who's your Chosen?"

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  17:35:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Even for Mr. Athans to cough and choke over, before he slashes it? Like Ed’s famous “sacrificial lamb” scenes? To protect your OTHER text?
love,
THO

Ed actually wrote scenes as sacrificial lambs? Clever... Too bad we can't read some of those sacrificial bits.

Go to Top of Page

Goldforge
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Goldforge's Homepage Send Goldforge a Private Message
I've posted this elsewhere in the forum for normal members to read and offer opinions, but I'd very much like Ed's opinion too, so here is my question again-

I'm playing a game based on the 3e rules and I've recently got into a heated debate concerning Druids and why every Druid other than Mielikki Druids can't wear metal armour. My arguement was that Druids of Talos, because they venerate storms and natural disasters should not be subject to his rule. Talos himself hates nature(The plant and animal kind of Nature, i'm guessing) so why would he sanction his Druids from using Metal if it is considered an affront to Nature? Why would Talos not allow his Druids to use a material that other, more goodly and nice, Deities of Nature label as an affront.

We debated for a while, and we couldn't even come up with half a reason why Druids of Mielikki are allowed to use Metal. It's especially odd that Talassan Druids can't when they have more of a reason to wear Metal then their Mielikki Druid counterparts.

Were certain Nature Dieties such as Auril and Talos left forgotten when it came to listing diety specific class rule exceptions? Could someone tell me, with facts or an authoritive voice, why Talassan Druids can't wear Metal armour?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  01:44:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I'm also going to throw this to you Ed and THO,

I'm curious to hear you thoughts about this debate about NPCs. Are the Chosen of Mystra more important overall then commoners and laborers, which make up most of the world?

I'm in a huge debate with two people who are trying to prove that Mystra's Chosen are the more important then commonors or laborers since the Chosen are "special."

I continue to say that commoners and laborers are just as important as the Chosen. Yes, the Chosen have more "power" but we are not discussing power, we are discussing which are more important overall.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Sep 2005 01:45:19
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  02:40:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ah yes... I'll be interested to hear Ed's thoughts on this as well.

We are already aware of what the FRCS states regarding the make-up of most of the human population in the Realms, so Ed's comments here should only re-inforce that and end this nonsense debate.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  03:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

"Who's your Chosen? Who's your Chosen?"

Sorry, Wooly. That's El's line for when he's >ahem< `communing' with Mystra.

Khelben's definitely more the type of guy to deliver a 6-hour back/body rub.."for `tis the only way to be certain ALL the kinks are out..." And Laeral's never been one to stop him on that....

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  03:15:34  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:

Sorry, Wooly. That's El's line for when he's >ahem< `communing' with Mystra.

You know, I've wondered if that sort of 'communing' has stopped since The Simbul, um, became El's 'Chosen'?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  03:57:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Melfius, that “communing” stopped when “the old” Mystra was replaced by Midnight. Despite his reputation in the eyes of some, El isn’t automatically the lover of whoever is wearing Mystra’s mantle.)

I bring Ed of the Greenwood’s reply to Jamallo Kreen’s music queries:

Hi. I’ve covered your queries about best real-world music as examples of Realms “Top 40” already, on Page 64 of the 2004 Questions for Eddie thread (now lurking alone on Page 2 of the Chamber of Sages), and will amplify and augment what I said there (and what’s seen print in issue 123 of DRAGON, in “Music of the Forgotten Realms”) by saying that “up to the minute pop music” in human Faerűn is advancing on two fronts: the light, piping romantic ballads (akin to Shakespeare’s “O Mistris Mine” from Twelfth Night, as performed in a cut “published” most recently on the Dorian CD collection “Elizabeth’s Music”), and the emphatic, short-rhyming-couplets, pointed and often saucy or defiant/insolent declamations not requiring much singing voice style exemplified by Steeleye Span’s “The King” on (their) PLEASE TO SEE THE KING classic LP (now of course CD), which in the Realms is used for social comment (bitching about rulers and conditions) songs and tavern “rutting songs,” bawdy ballads that everyone joins in on the choruses of. Instrumentation isn’t yet strongly moving in the direction of bowed strings as it did in the real-world, so much as it’s remaining with flute-like woodwinds and carefully-timed [to slow or stop-measure dance cadence, as heard in “O Mistris Mine,” referred to above] plucked strings, as in the beautiful “Elspeth of Nottingham” found on both the original LP and the much-truncated Red Bullet CD issue of FOCUS III by the group Focus (yes, they of “Hocus Pocus” fame).
As for lost songs: sheet music is a rarity in the Realms, where most songs “exist” in the heads of minstrels and bards, sometimes “recorded” and preserved in ghost pipes spells and similar magics. Songs get corrupted and deliberately changed by everyone who performs them, to update or make more pleasing the lyrics and to deal with personal vocal and instrument-mastery limitations - - so there are LOTS of “lost” songs, or songs surviving only as brief riffs, refrains, or a saucy or spicy line of lyric, now stitched into other, quite different songs. It’s generally accepted that songs are living, everchanging things, and only bards and sages take any care about preserving old versions (except in cases of unpopular rulers, where folk may defiantly and secretly sing “old versions” of songs that praise the previous monarch but have now officially been altered).
All that is remembered (by mortals, anyway) of the lost battle-song of Tempus is that it was a slow march, performed with hand-drum, sword-hilts rapped on belt-buckles or scabbards, and voice, in grim cadence rather like the real-world “Brian Boru’s March” and that it remembered the battle-dead, told them they’d not be forgotten, and that their causes would be fought on by the living. It concluded with the desire - - and the promise to foes - - that when the time and occasion were right, Tempus would let the unseen spirits of the dead be there to witness and guide swordarms when the living struck to settle the old score which they’d died fighting for. This fighting of the living, at the end of each verse, was marked by a shouted “Zelzing!”
All that remains of the song in popular memory is a few fragments, thus:

Blood not forgotten
Staring skull faces see all
Fear to spur us, anger to goad us, cold promise to stalk us
Tattered banners taken up, swords swung in the names of those now gone
When their foes come within our reach, up steel and ZELZING!

. . .
Tempus guide us, Tempus provide us
Chances to smite foe and win fray and ZELZING!

As for “other celebrated lost songs,” the best-known are “Down Dragon,” a long and stirring dragonslaying ballad, and “My Lady Lost Today,” a lament for a dead lover that was said to have left raucous taprooms in stunned and muffled weeping when performed by the best bards - - taprooms full of folk who through their tears pleaded to hear it again.
All that we have of Down Dragon is the snippet “armor so bright tumbling,” and all we have of “My Lady Lost Today” is: “Let bird choke silent and bright sun turn away/The wide Realms all ended: my lady’s lost today.”

So saith Ed. Who before his throat operation had a stunning deep voice (Paul Robeson, anyone?) and can still sound impressive.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2005 :  09:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Steven dearest, the title is BLACKSTAFF, remember! Not one little through the ajar-bedchamber-door glimpse of Laeral riding the Bla . . . (ahem)? Not one? Even for Mr. Athans to cough and choke over, before he slashes it? Like Ed’s famous “sacrificial lamb” scenes? To protect your OTHER text?

Careful with that word... Uhh.. I'm refering, of course, to "slash".
(The link is to wikipedia's article on Slash Fiction, for those who have no clue what I'm rambling about!)

I had to do a double take just then... (Asking myself, just who's he slashing Laeral or Khelben with? )

This is a "You know you've read too much slash when..." moment, I guess.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  02:21:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed provides a reply to Hoondatha’s early April request: “. . . I couldn't find any signs of any of the realms of elves (unlike the dwarven realms in Dwarves Deep). Which makes it hard to create rally flags, et al. So my question is: what were the signs of the various big elven realms? (Specifically, Myth Drannor, Aryvandaar, Miyeritar, and Ilythiir) Also, did Myth Drannor change its pennant (for lack of a better term) when the mythal was raised, or did they keep the old Cormanthyr sign?”
Ed speaks:

Elf families have banners and badges (the former trailed behind airships or borne on lancetips to denote the head or heir or important member of a house being conveyed, and also flown from tower-tops to denote such a personage being “in residence”), but their realms did NOT have “battle-banners.” Such heraldry came into use when elves dwelt with other races, so (for instance), Cormanthyr had no battle-banners, but Myth Drannor did: a horizontal-long-axis oval of twelve twinkling white-haloed-in-purple manypointed stars, floating on a field (vertical-long-axis-oval) of deep forest green.
The banners usually took the form of a triangular cloth mounted on a cross-spar affixed to a spear just behind its head, said triangle’s lower point trailing off into a long, long straight-sided tail, ending in a chevron-dag like many pennants, with the Ring of Stars “arms” of Myth Drannor displayed on the triangle, and (much smaller) at the “mouth” end of the pennant tail, where it separated into the two points of the dag.
Mythal cities where several races dwelt in harmony adopted arms; all-elf cities that raised mythals did not.
At first, of course. In the end, many decaying elf cities did all sorts of strange things, heraldic and otherwise, as their societies splintered into conservatives, “reformers” and liberals trying all sorts of new ways, ideas, and customs, and so on.

So saith Ed. Who’s no longer thin enough to properly playact an elf, and was never haughty enough.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  04:03:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed,

Boz from the WOTC boards was wondering if you could give us any more lore about Argolcheir the demon lord. He was mentioned in your article back in Dragon #116 (p55) as a brief mention, having been good and destroyed by Khelben and Laeral.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  04:20:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ah one of my favourite DRAGON articles of all-time. Oh, and it should be Arlgolcheir the demon-lord. Yes, tell us more of matters fiendish in the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  04:25:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ah one of my favourite DRAGON articles of all-time. Oh, and it should be Arlgolcheir the demon-lord. Yes, tell us more of matters fiendish in the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Ah, I just cut and pasted what Boz said. :)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2005 :  19:22:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

I bring Ed of the Greenwood’s reply to Jamallo Kreen’s music queries:

(snip)

And I thank 'e both, fair lady. I am still curious, though, as to the music favored by the conductor of the Ivy Mansion house band -- such as it is.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2005 :  01:33:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I come bearing Ed’s replies to Rain’s questions: “I often get the impression from various sources that the Chosen of Mystra are a bunch of high level good characters who run around killing evil (and I can imagine people in the realms thinking that as well), but what they are really doing is furthering the use of magic and stopping the ones who would restrict it, so regarding that: Has Mystra (apart from Sammaster) had any Chosen who were clearly evil? Have The Chosen ever had to perform ‘evil’ tasks to help further Mystra's cause? And (this may be a weird question) do the Chosen or their allies (for example The Harpers) know what Mystras overall point with the Chosen are?”
Ed speaks:

First of all, thanks for your kind words, and I hope the various swift and timely scribes’ replies to you about Realmspace have taken care of your lore needs for The Dawn Heralds, the Wanderers, and the Tears of Selune.
Now as for the Chosen: Mystra has indeed had evil Chosen (NDAs prevent me from saying much about who, when, why, and so on), but learned that evil beings, whatever their promises to her or initial intent, always drifted into “control” of magic (heavy restrictions), rather than just strategically letting this person but not that person have a particular spell or lore-knowledge. In other words, they always moved towards a situation in which a chosen few (beholden to them or under their overt control) had access to powerful magic, and worked against others enjoying that same access. Even when their intended end result was, say, an empire run by wizards (Thay, for example), the means to creating that empire would be control of magic - - and this control would inevitably corrupt, leading them to value control over dissemination of magic (“Nay, Holy Mystra, the people aren’t ready to be handed that magic yet. Let me just prepare them properly first!”/“YOU SAID THE SAME WORDS TO ME SIX SEASONS AGO! WHEN *WILL* THEY BE ‘READY’? EVER?”).
Yes, all of the Chosen have performed evil tasks (killing wizards, sorcerers, priests, and warriors who sought to control magic, deny magic to others, or use magic to enslave or terrorize others, for instance: even if a “bad guy” was being removed, the murder was still murder) to advance Mystra’s aims. Magic has been stolen by Chosen, copied or duplicated against the wishes of (or laws crafted by) its owners by the Chosen, some of the Chosen have tricked, killed, and betrayed (into death-traps) particular rulers, and so on.
Of course the Chosen understand their cardinal role (helping Mystra spread the use of magic throughout Faerűn, by undertaking specific tasks she orders - - some of which they may not understand or see the point of, at all). Most allies of the Chosen know Mystra’s creed, too (note that it’s incorrect to view the Harpers as staunch allies of the Chosen; what they are is personal friends in many cases, and power groups whose interests [opposing overly-strong rulers] often coincide, leading them to often work together or at least not oppose or expose each other.
Chosen often go temporarily insane or forget things (Elminster’s mind-battle in ELMINSTER IN HELL is an example), but if you encounter Chosen portrayed in game play or Realms publications as not knowing or agreeing with this role, either you’re seeing other creatures masquerading as Chosen, or encountering the work of a player or DM who doesn’t understand the Chosen, and DOES see them as “Ed’s meddling old goat wizards and superbabes serving Miss Goody Two-Boots Magic to defeat evil and spread overly-sweet goodness across the Realms.”

So saith Ed, who is Storm and Mystra and Halaster and Khelben and Mirt and Alusair just as much as he is Elminster.
A sad announcement, now: Ed must finally fall silent for a week (until next Monday, at least), and I scheduled one of my location assignments to coincide with it so scribes wouldn’t be deprived of Ed for TWO weeks (mine and his). So see you all next Monday, I hope. Don’t stop posting those questions and comments, now. The unanswered pile is pushing Ed towards immortality fast.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2005 :  20:27:28  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
Greetings!

I have many questions regarding Cormyr, but I will try to restrict myself to just one until I finish going through all of Mr. Greenwoods replies from the last few years. In fact, other members of this community may answer my question before it even reaches Mr. Greenwood. My question is this:

In the book Elminster's Daughter, the description of Glarasteer Rhauligan has him wearing a harper pin, which would make him a member of the old Harpers, not the Moonstars. Is this a correct assumption on my part? (and yes, I do know what happens when you assume.) If he isn't part of the Tel'Teukiira, is there anyone within Cormyr who is?

Okay, that was a two-part question, and I hope that an NDA doesn't swoop down and grab anyone.

Thank you in advance,

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2005 :  23:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

In the book Elminster's Daughter, the description of Glarasteer Rhauligan has him wearing a harper pin, which would make him a member of the old Harpers, not the Moonstars. Is this a correct assumption on my part? (and yes, I do know what happens when you assume.) If he isn't part of the Tel'Teukiira, is there anyone within Cormyr who is?

Neither Cloak & Dagger nor City of Splendors: Waterdeep list Glarasteer among the ranks of the Tel'Teukiira.

Both list Myrmeen Lhal as a Moonstar, though. An Arabellan halfling, Joser Minstrelwish, is also listed in Cloak & Dagger as a member of the Tel'Teukiira.

I suppose that Glarasteer could also be in the Moonstars, but I tend to doubt it.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  00:08:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Rhauligan is a Harper
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  00:54:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

quote:

Even for Mr. Athans to cough and choke over, before he slashes it? Like Ed’s famous “sacrificial lamb” scenes? To protect your OTHER text?
love,
THO

Ed actually wrote scenes as sacrificial lambs? Clever... Too bad we can't read some of those sacrificial bits.

Reminds me of a telephone conversation with Ed, in which we were discussing bits that had been editied from various projects. I mentioned a line from an early draft of THE MAGEHOUND in which Matteo finds Tzigone copying spell scrolls onto velum sheets, using a spell that ran wildly amok. He asked her if there'd been any fatalities, to which she replied, "Not unless you count the velum, in which case I've buggered more sheep than a Calishite shepherd." Ed replied, "Oh, you should have told the editor, 'The sheep buggering stays. This is an issue of artistic integrity; I feel very strongly about sheep buggering.' They'd have cut it anyway, but they'd have been so appalled that they would have left some of your other bits alone."

We'd discussed the advisability of writing an entirely gratuitous elven orgy and just slipping it in among the pages of CITY OF SPLENDORS, but we never got around to it.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 05 Sep 2005 01:01:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  02:42:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Reminds me of a telephone conversation with Ed, in which we were discussing bits that had been editied from various projects. I mentioned a line from an early draft of THE MAGEHOUND in which Matteo finds Tzigone copying spell scrolls onto velum sheets, using a spell that ran wildly amok. He asked her if there'd been any fatalities, to which she replied, "Not unless you count the velum, in which case I've buggered more sheep than a Calishite shepherd." Ed replied, "Oh, you should have told the editor, 'The sheep buggering stays. This is an issue of artistic integrity; I feel very strongly about sheep buggering.' They'd have cut it anyway, but they'd have been so appalled that they would have left some of your other bits alone."

I can see Tzigone saying that... Matteo's reaction would have been great!

But this does show us more of how Ed's mind operates... Thanks, Elaine!

quote:

We'd discussed the advisability of writing an entirely gratuitous elven orgy and just slipping it in among the pages of CITY OF SPLENDORS, but we never got around to it.

Ah, the things editors won't let thru...

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  03:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
quote:
Neither Cloak & Dagger nor City of Splendors: Waterdeep list Glarasteer among the ranks of the Tel'Teukiira.

Both list Myrmeen Lhal as a Moonstar, though. An Arabellan halfling, Joser Minstrelwish, is also listed in Cloak & Dagger as a member of the Tel'Teukiira.

I suppose that Glarasteer could also be in the Moonstars, but I tend to doubt it.

yep, I checked Cloak & Dagger just to make sure, though. In those pages it does say that they do not wear Harper pins, which leads me to believe that Glarasteer is part of the Harpers, not Moonstars since he is mentioned wearing one. I just wanna make sure that is the case before moving along with those plans. It would have been easier for me (not the players) if he was part of the Tel'Teukiira, and of course.. he could just have a change of heart....

quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Hooded One
Rhauligan is a Harper

okay, I guess that works. I didn't see it in the old replies, but I also haven't finished perusing them. Thanks.

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  07:12:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Ah, the things editors won't let thru...

But elven orgies are so Boring. Just a lot of palm and ear licking is enough for them to consider it an orgy....

Now halflings--THEY know how to party, and you know what they say about big feet.... I've had Ed tell me of noble soirees the Company interrupted in Waterdeep that involved halfling chandelier swinging and punch-bowl diving, so one doubts that their more private moments are held to higher decorum.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  08:45:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

But elven orgies are so Boring. Just a lot of palm and ear licking is enough for them to consider it an orgy....
I'd like to ask you how you know this exactly, but then... there are just some things I don't want to know!

quote:
Now halflings--THEY know how to party, and you know what they say about big feet....
Yeah... it costs a lot gold to cover those things... .

quote:
I've had Ed tell me of noble soirees the Company interrupted in Waterdeep that involved halfling chandelier swinging and punch-bowl diving, so one doubts that their more private moments are held to higher decorum.
Hehe... I'm sure they involve exotic foods and the like .

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  08:50:31  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:

I've had Ed tell me of noble soirees the Company interrupted in Waterdeep that involved halfling chandelier swinging and punch-bowl diving, ...
I am soooo using that in my campaign tomorrow afternoon.

Thankee Steven for giving me an out just in case the grim events I've planned for play tomorrow sour the mood overmuch.

Also a thanks to Ed and Elaine for giving us the Gemcloaks. I know not what fate will befall them (I'm only on Chapter Two), but can say heartily they'll survive long enough in my Campaign to play-battle at least once in the just bought but not yet furnished or occupied Whaterdhavian mansion the players in my game have acquired.

There's nothing quite like a perfect-for-borrowing scene straight from a Realms novel, complete with dialogue and supporting NPC cast!*

Thank you to all again!

And now a question if I may, so that neither Alaundo or the Sage should become annoyed: On average, is the typical reaction of the City Watch of Waterdeep consistent throughout the various Wards of the City whenever young noblemen engage in ‘harmless’ destruction while play-battling on someone else’s property and are confronted by the Watch, such that said nobles can offer up the promise of compensation with the expectation that they’ll not be arrested, be given back their weapons and be allowed to go on their merry way?

J. Grenemyer

*This, to me, is what makes a $25.00(US) hardcover worth the price and then some, because the novel does almost as much as a typical splatbook to improve my Realms Campaign in addition to being an excellent, entertaining read.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 05 Sep 2005 08:54:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  09:12:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Also a thanks to Ed and Elaine for giving us the Gemcloaks. I know not what fate will befall them (I'm only on Chapter Two), but can say heartily they'll survive long enough in my Campaign to play-battle at least once in the just bought but not yet furnished or occupied Whaterdhavian mansion the players in my game have acquired.
The Gemcloaks are fast becoming one of my favorite elements of CoS. Their "noble" antics and exagerrated hijinks have fit with the "aimless and ambitionless wealthy heirs" stereotype in a much better fashion than I originally expected.

quote:
And now a question if I may, so that neither Alaundo or the Sage should become annoyed: On average, is the typical reaction of the City Watch of Waterdeep consistent throughout the various Wards of the City whenever young noblemen engage in ‘harmless’ destruction while play-battling on someone else’s property and are confronted by the Watch, such that said nobles can offer up the promise of compensation with the expectation that they’ll not be arrested, be given back their weapons and be allowed to go on their merry way?
And an additional question to Ed, following on from Sanishiver's query -

Ed,

What can you tell us about other previous "Gemcloak"-like organisations (and I use the term loosely) who may have decided to ply their "trade" in Waterdeep? Certainly, every noble or wealthy family in the City of Splendors has the potential to "breed" such individuals, but I'd like to know more about specifics groups that may exist (or perhaps existed in the past) that we have never even heard about.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Sep 2005 09:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2005 :  12:29:27  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Now halflings--THEY know how to party, and you know what they say about big feet....

They wear large shoes?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2005 :  11:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed or the Great Hooded One, I was wondering were the Knights of Myth Drannor created by the roleplayers or did you (Ed) create them for the roleplayers. AND if the roleplayers did create them how was the issue of copyright (in regards to the roleplayers creating the characters' names etc and you using them in your novels) handled? *LOL* Sorry for the long question...

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000