Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  01:32:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed has just returned home from the Canadian Gaming Expo. Scribes who didn’t attend missed two dandy panels (on DMing, and on creating good, memorable villains) by Ed, Gary Gygax, and Robin Laws.
Scribes who DID attend may have seen me: among the many revealingly-costumed females attending, I was the one who hung her con pass from her exposed right nipple. Okay, ONE of the ones who did that. Ahem, probably the oldest of the several who did that.

Melfius, that "mothers" wasn't a typo.
Uno, Ed created Turmish as part of his original Realms, and described it extensively in several Elminster’s Everwinking Eye articles in the POLYHEDRON Newszine.
This time, Ed makes reply to Wooly Rupert:

Yes, the Commer were, so far as I know, created by the computer game designers, to be “set up” as a background foe for future games. Despite Volo’s name appearing on that manual, I didn’t write it (though a lot of it was, of course, drawn from both my published lore and unpublished notes) and in fact have never seen it, despite the Realms agreement.
We must assume that the Commer are still “out there,” lurking, perhaps close than one might thUUURK

And that’s just how Ed’s message ended, when I received it. !!
Comfort me, softest of noble hamsters . . .
Sob
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Aug 2005 01:34:32
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  01:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
So, to clear this up, are you referring to the fact that Qilué and Qilué alone was born of a different woman than the other six? Maybe I'm just being thick-headed, but then again....

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages

Edited by - Melfius on 29 Aug 2005 01:53:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  02:13:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

This time, Ed makes reply to Wooly Rupert:

Yes, the Commer were, so far as I know, created by the computer game designers, to be “set up” as a background foe for future games. Despite Volo’s name appearing on that manual, I didn’t write it (though a lot of it was, of course, drawn from both my published lore and unpublished notes) and in fact have never seen it, despite the Realms agreement.
We must assume that the Commer are still “out there,” lurking, perhaps close than one might thUUURK

I figured it was something created just for the game, but it surprises me that Ed never got a copy... I found a pdf copy online; I can email it to you to pass to Ed if he'd like.

quote:

And that’s just how Ed’s message ended, when I received it. !!
Comfort me, softest of noble hamsters . . .
Sob
THO

It would give me (and you!) great pleasure, my dear Lady Hooded One.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  02:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed, as far as I know you haven't bumped into Gary Gygax often. I hope you got on OK. I remember his letter in Dragon praising "Pages from the Mages".

The Turmish instalments of "The Everwinking Eye" (suspiciously renamed "Elminster's Everwinking Eye") are in Polyhedron #96, 98, 101, 103–8.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  03:10:52  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Yes, the Seven Sisters are indeed the daughters of Mystra.
Some of her divine essence (“divine spark” if you prefer; it’s now publicly seen only as the silver fire) passed into all of the Seven at their conception, because Mystra personally possessed the mothers - - so, yes, they DO carry her blood in them, and are therefore her daughters. Mystra’s blood IS the Weave (silver fire energy).
Remember, human standards and definitions don’t precisely apply to the gods. A rock or a potted plant can be the divine “son” or “daughter” of a god. :} The various game rules regarding gods are at best a vague way to describe what mortals have observed of their behaviour. They are NOT complete, clear, and absolute. Or as too many priests I’ve overheard are too fond of saying: “It’s a mystery, my son. A mystery.”

Oooh cool. Thank you for such a swift answer.

The game rules are rather inadequate to describe a great many things within the game context. That's what they invented DM's Perogative for. I was trying to work things out logically, which is often my downfall, especially when working with matters of deities and magic.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  03:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

So, to clear this up, are you referring to the fact that Qilué and Qilué alone was born of a different woman than the other six? Maybe I'm just being thick-headed, but then again....

I believe that is what he meant since it is well documented that Elué Shundar was the birth mother of the other six.

Interestingly, the reply is pretty much explicit that Mystra possessed Iliryztara Veladorn at some point. I'd hazard a guess that this was most likley during the transferance of Qilué from Elué's corpse to Iliryztara.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  03:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
That was kinda my idea, that Mystra had possessed Elué, but I just have to make sure!

Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  04:35:27  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
I've got a number of questions on a different category of Cormyr lore: the nobles! These questions are about clearing up some discrepancies I've found or filling in more detail in various bits of revealed lore from Dragon Magazine. Thanks for adding this to Ed's queue!

(1) The noble Martin Freyault Illance is mentioned both in the 2nd Edition Cormyr accessory and in Cormyr: A Novel, the latter in which he is involved with Gaspar Cormaeril and Aunadar Bleth in the Abraxus Affair. In Death of the Dragon, a man named Freyault Illance (No Martin) is killed by an assassin. Are these actually the same individual? There's a hint he is, because in the Cormyr accessory it's stated he has been spurned by both princesses and Thomdor and Bhereu speak of this as well, while in Death of the Dragon it's stated that Tanalasta would have none of Freyault's soft talk. So, simple question: Is "Martin Freyault Illance" of CaN and "Freyault Illance" of DotD the same person, or are they two different but related people?

(2) In your article "The Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr" on pp.88-90 of Dragon #278, you give some birth years for Rayburtons that are unlikely. Onkyl Drethan Rayburton (-40 DR - 41 DR) is stated to be the father of Telarn Erren Rayburton (-51 DR - 43 DR). This appears to me to state that the son was born eleven years BEFORE the father! Can you verify either the relationship or the birth & death years? I'd think the lowest-impact way would be to adjust Telarn's dates, say to (-21 DR - 73 DR). (Yeah, I know this is minutia, but still... :) )

(3) In your article "After the Dragon, the Kingdom of Cormyr Today" (Dragon Annual #5, 2000), it is clear from pages 67 that House Orthwood is a recently-ennobled house, and previous pages give the names of specific current family members, that they live in Orthwood Hall, and that one of the family is a Highknight and personal bodyguard to Filfaeril. However, in your article "The Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 4", on p.78 of Dragon #281 you give some history that states that after Nars Orthwood (a traitor to the throne) killed his father Nelnar in 1227 DR the family's holdings were siezed to pay off debts and the family was stripped of noble status and effectively made wards of the Crown. For both of these to be true, it seems obvious that at some point after 1227 but before 1372 the family was made noble again. Can you give any lore regarding the year and circumstances of this re-ennoblement? To restore nobility to a family once having it and stripped of it seems nearly unprecedented!

(4) In your article "The Adventures of Volo: Lost Treasures of Cormyr, Part 4" on p.76 of Dragon #281, you state that Eltrym Drauthglas (1128DR-1202DR) was Lord of Hullack and resisted annexation by Cormyr, losing all four sons fighting Cormyr until he surrendered to Pryntaler to keep his six daughters from being slain or ravished if Hullack Hall ever fell. Pryntaler allowed him to keep title and powers, and Eltrym and Pryntaler became friends. If it doesn't get into NDA territory, could you elaborate on this?
(a) What year did Pryntaler start his attempt to annex Hullack by force?
(b) What year did Eltrym surrender to Pryntaler?
(c) Where within the Hullack forest region was Eltrym's Hullack Hall located?
(d) Between the fact that Eltrym had only daughters remaining, and more than one novel has described Hullack as primarily belonging to the Wyvernspur family, I would assume that the noble house of Drauthglas is now extinct but I'd think the bloodline would still continue. What other Cormyrean families might his six daughters have married into? Perhaps the eldest into House Wyvernspur? The Wyvernspur lineage given in the novel "Wyvern's Spur" doesn't list any potential candidate wives (they all have other last names for the likely time period) but the lineage may be (probably is) incomplete.

Oh, and one question about old Cormyrean noblility not from Dragon magazine. In the old Fall of Myth Drannor book, it's mentioned that in 710 DR three Cormyrean noble families were enslaved by drow and believed by the surface world to be dead. The names of those three families were omitted, however. Can you reveal the names of those houses, or is that an NDA matter?

Jerry Davis

Edited by - Jerryd on 29 Aug 2005 04:36:00
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  05:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
I won't presume to speak for Ed on matters Cormyrean, but I am more than willing to speak before him, leaving, of course, the appropriate room for him to correct me if necessary (for, as Peter Archer pointed out, his beard is still longer than mine ):

1) To my understanding, the Illances--particularly the youngest, now-wedding or soon-to-be-wed generation--have something of a reputation as ladies' men, womanizers, and "marry upward" gentlemen. It would be entirely unsurprising for more than one member of this youngest litter to woo as many Obarskyr princesses as were available. My own guess is that Frayault is a family name, that Martin Frayault and Frayault are cousins or the like, and that the "Martin" was added to the younger's name to avoid confusion between the two. After all, Martin Frayault wasn't just a suitor of the princesses; he stood with Aunadar at the end of C:aN.

2) I'm just going to chalk this one up as a transcription/editing/typographical error and claim that the proper birth year for Telarn should be -21DR. I'd leave the year of his death at 43DR.

3) "Can you give any lore regarding the year and circumstances of this re-ennoblement?" I'm going to very gently suggest that this best be left secret for others to examine in future works, save that it's most likely a result of Orthwood loyalty during the regency of Salember.

As a side note, it's not unprecedented for disposessed nobles to seek (and sometimes gain) restoration of their family titles. It is usually younger kin, cousins, and "country knight" types, disgraced by more "refined" relatives closer to the seats of family power, that work for and achieve such ends.

4)
a) and b) The whole matter happened some time around the year 1190 DR give or take a couple of years.
d) I can't comment on which families the various Drauthglas daughters married into. I will, however, note that the Wyvernspur lineage from The Wyvern's Spur is, with the exception of the errors relating to an inadvertent swap between Dalereckoning and Cormyr Reckoning, absolutely complete. There are no members of the Wyvernspur family not listed on that genealogy.

As for the families that disappeared in 710DR, I will say three things. First, the three were intentionally unnamed. Second, their disappearances created a great mess of rumors, innuendo, and conspiracy talk among the nobility at the time. Third, and finally, to reveal any more would likely spoil a great number of plans and hidden, already-woven threads.

Except, perhaps, to add one word: Elmarask.

-Garen, who's spent quite a bit too much time around Ed learning to drop hints and make stuff up as he goes along to fill in the blanks.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  06:04:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

-Garen, who's spent quite a bit too much time around Ed learning to drop hints and make stuff up as he goes along to fill in the blanks.

Is that a Feat or a skill?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  08:27:44  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message
THO, Faerer, & Kajehase thanks!! I'll definitely check out the Scions of Arabel...

Polyhedron seems a bit more difficult... I gather those articles were written a good long while ago??... Are there any downloadable copies for sale anywhere??... From my searches, it seems not... Hoping I'm wrong, but if anybody can set me along the right track, I'd be most obliged...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  11:17:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

THO, Faerer, & Kajehase thanks!! I'll definitely check out the Scions of Arabel...

Polyhedron seems a bit more difficult... I gather those articles were written a good long while ago??... Are there any downloadable copies for sale anywhere??... From my searches, it seems not... Hoping I'm wrong, but if anybody can set me along the right track, I'd be most obliged...

I've looked, and I couldn't find any Polyhedron material online.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  15:25:15  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Wooly, yes, please! I’ll find a suitable “front” e-account for you to send that to, and then flip it to Ed.

Melfius, Zandilar has surmised the “when” and “who” of Mystra’s mother-possessions perfectly. That’s what Ed was referring to.

Faraer, Ed and Gary get along fine (despite what some posters on various boards would have you believe). Several times during the second panel, they made each other laugh, and once Ed’s suggested way of dealing with a campaign problem made Gary say delightedly, “I’ve gotta try that! I’d LOVE to run something like that!” Ed’s been invited to Gary’s small annual Lake Geneva gaming con (next June), but doesn’t yet know if he can attend. He very much wants to, just to have the chance to see Steven Schend in person again.

Jerry, great questions - - and Garen Thal’s answers are well-nigh perfect. Ed will add a LITTLE to them, after careful examination of his NDAs, but expect nothing major: when Garen speaks of leaving the Unnamed as they are, he’s right to do so.

Ed tells me another reply, on unrelated matters, is coming tomorrow. He has to trundle off to the library first, and ply the ladies with chocolates and kisses (er, do a work shift).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  18:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I never read anything to suggest Ed and Gary didn't like each other, just got the impression they'd not crossed paths at most conventions they've both been at. The first of those Lake Geneva cons looked fun from what people have said of it.

The best way to get Polyhedron issues is probably to bid on lots at eBay, otherwise the usual second-hand RPG dealers. Ed's column began in #54 and appeared semi-regularly through the run (to #148), covering Maskyr's Eye, Mulmaster, the Moonsea, Zhentil Keep, the Vast, Turmish, the Border Kingdoms and miscellaneous subjects.

Mayhap when Ed talks of Rhauntides he can mention those other Deepingdale mages, Jhavanter of Highmoon, Ilythyrra of Sevenskulls, and Azargatha Nimune.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2005 :  19:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed and I are back for tonight (silence tomorrow, I'm afraid).
This time, Ed replies to Myssa Rei’s question: “While a lot of mortals had risen to divinity -- and ignoring the ascension of people like Cyric, Midnight, and Kelemvor, since they took over major portfolios -- do they immediately become 'true' demigods? Or do start out as 'hero-deities', much like as all those quasideities wandering around in Greyhawk, and gained power only later as their worship grew?”
Ed speaks:

The plain truth is: mortals (and therefore all Player Characters) don’t know and can never know for certain the exact details of anything pertaining to the gods. Even if a supreme priest or even a god tells you something personally, they may not be telling the truth. They may believe they’re imparting the truth, or may be lying, but either way their answer can’t be trusted.

(snip)

So saith Ed, Master of the Gods. (Not something everyone can put on their resumé.)
love to all,
THO

Well met! That was a heap of useful (and somewhat surprising) information. One wonders how many adventurers have slid into Epic levels (whatever that means from the perspective of characters) and then discovered that they were the objects of worship? ("Hey, are you Bob of Deepingdale? The Bob of Deepingdale, demigod of archers who wear scarlet support hose?")

Ah.... Back in the day we struggled to reach "name" level. Now nothing less than quasideity status will do. Nu, we've earned it.

Apropos of the Seven Sisters thread, Ed, can you you cite a particular instance in which a potted plant is definitely known to be godspawn -- if that information isn't NDA, that is. ;)

-------

I amend my earlier question about what composers best typify various regions of the Realms to ask specifically about Ivy Mansion. What composer's work is most similar to that of the (apparently unnamed) Harpell who conducts the house's phantom orchestra?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 29 Aug 2005 19:36:47
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  01:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Oh lovely Hooded One,

I want to ask Ed about two brief anecdotes from 2e era Realms products.

First, I've always loved Ed's forward to the City of Splendors box set wherein he talks about the earliest stories of Waterdeep. I particularly like the image of Mirt overseeing a caravan from Neverwinter transporting caged Unicorns. Now that's my kind of rogue! I'd love to hear more details if you don't mind.

Secondly, there is a passing reference to a "Sembian Peace Wall" in one of the products from that era. If memory serves, a group of players had built it in their home campaign to stabilize relations between Cormyr and Sembia. I'd love to hear the whole story on that.

Thanks as Always!

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  03:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Athenon
Secondly, there is a passing reference to a "Sembian Peace Wall" in one of the products from that era. If memory serves, a group of players had built it in their home campaign to stabilize relations between Cormyr and Sembia. I'd love to hear the whole story on that.
The tale of the Great Sembian Peace Wall comes from the 2nd Edition FR boxed set, wherein Jeff Grubb talks of the many letters received about the decision to develop the various cities--and eventually the nation--of Sembia. My guess is you'd have to ask Jeff for all the gory details, but I'm sure he remembers quite a bit about that particular story.
Go to Top of Page

Jerryd
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  03:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Jerryd's Homepage Send Jerryd a Private Message
Garen, thanks for your reply! I'm also looking forward for Ed to add to your remarks with what lore he can.

(1) Martin Frayault did stand with Aunadar at the end of C:aN, however so did a number of other nobles and although it's entirely reasonable that consequences followed his stand I've never seen any published mention of drastic consequence befalling anyone outside the Bleth and Cormaeril families. Without further information, this could have went either way for me.

(2) Telarn didn't long outlive his father Onkyl, then, did he? I can live with that. My suggested dates were just designed to be minimal-impact and gave him the same lifespan.

(3) Pending any revisions Ed makes, that's fine with me!

The re-ennoblement of an entire house may not be unprecedented, but I've never read of such happening in Cormyr before so it would be unprecented to me. Are you aware of any other familes that have been so rehabilitated, without stepping on NDA's?

(4) I have a particular interest in the details of this history of Hullack, since much of the campaign I'm a part of happens there. The closest I know of (that still doesn't quite qualify) is that Rowen Cormaeril (a distant cousin of the exiled Cormaerils) remained in the Purple Dragons, but he remained a commoner even after catching the favor of Tanalasta. Then what happened to him in the last book threw a big monkey wrench in the works! (I'm rooting for him to get 'cured' or 'restored' somehow!)

On the families, I guess they'll have to remain UnnamedOne, UnnamedTwo, and UnnamedThree, although I'm not asking for any details of what happened to them after their disappearance and I'm not sure how just revealing the names - and nothing else - would spoil any plots or threads. Besides, their names would be well known to Cormyrean history since they were subject to that 'great mess fo rumors, innuendo and conspiracy'.

Your one word - Elmarask - unfortunately has no meaning to me. I don't recall ever hearing of it - or him or her - before.

Jerry Davis

Edited by - Jerryd on 30 Aug 2005 04:02:02
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  04:13:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed makes reply to the Chosen of Moradin:

Hi, Yuri. I’d say the degree of control exercised by zulkirs over the Thayan wizards of “their” schools is up to you as a DM, varies from zulkir to zulkir (ignoring a polite request from Szass Tam is suicide, but a weak zulkir can snarl orders and be “not heard” or receive only “lip service” compliance), and isn’t strong at all far from Thay UNLESS the zulkir has prepared beforehand (with spells that can change an order from a mere message to a life-and-death threat).
In general, Red Wizards of Thay know that defiance against “the rules” of their harshly-regimented society is a threat to the entire society: however irksome the controls and commandments laid upon them may be, those rules are what stops the entire land of wizards from erupting in one deadly “demolition derby” of duels, magical sneak attacks and traps, and summoned monsters or mass-controlled slaves galore being unleashed on everyone . . . a struggle that could only end in the fall of Thay and death for all but a fortunate few.
Therefore, reprisals against disobedience are sanctioned by Thayan society (who also don’t want their slaves, who vastly outnumber them, to gain any inkling of anyone disobeying anything and surviving), and competent zulkirs wield almost absolute control over lesser Red Wizards of the same specialties (but not over non-Red-Wizards, who’ll be rare intruders in Thay rather than citizens, or over Red Wizards of other specialty schools, who are both the “property” and the strength of a rival zulkir, who will react with furious hostility against a zulkir who attacks or deliberately harms wizards not of their own specialities.
There’s nothing (except pre-prepared hostile spells on the part of one’s zulkir or superiors, and the threat of loss of standing in Thay) to compel a Red Wizard far from home who wants to stop being a Red Wizard, never return to Thay, or even to change specialities. (This is best done by staging one’s own faked death, not by turning to snarl defiance at all other Thayans - - who will probably be sent to hunt down and slay the renegade.) Red Wizards often covertly plot and scheme to bring down zulkirs, but the key word here is “covertly.” Open defiance is never welcomed.
Red Wizards of lowly rank will seldom BE “far away from home” except on missions they’ve been sent on (to trade, or slay someone, or seize some magic, or spy on someone or something). They will have their orders. They remain subject to the communicated whims of their own zulkirs, but not those of other zulkirs. Sometimes excuses for long-range disobedience or even defiance can be faked to avoid being slain (“I was being mind-controlled by an illithid!”), but usually such excuses are little or no help (“You were? Then you’re a threat to us all! I’ll spell-imprison you whilst we mind-ream you to learn all your treacheries and secrets, and what controls or compulsions the mind flayer left behind, and then you’ll perish, and be consumed utterly in flame, that your taint touch none of us!”).
Some zulkirs adopt a more collegial style, but this is usually a “front,” masking a ruthless (and scheming, already-prepared-for-treacheries) true character - - or someone who’s become a puppet of Szass Tam, who likes to control other zulkirs whenever he can, both for purposes of tyranny and seemingly for his own personal entertainment.

So saith Ed. Creator of Szass Tam, Red Wizards, and slaving Thay. He wants to remind us that he’s not, however, responsible for illithids (illithiliches or Alhoon, yes, but mind flayers, no).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  04:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
In response to Jerry's response (just for clarification, until we get some Ed-ification):

1) Agreed. My suggestion was more out of personal preference than anything else.

2) Again, just a matter of personal preference. I'm going to let Ed settle this one himself if he disagrees, rather than defending a decision that didn't have that much thought put into it.

3) There isn't much I can say without breaking agreements. I will point out, however, that while the Cormaerils are not (yet?) restored to nobility, both Rowen and Beliard are Highknights of the realm, and accorded both the rank and privileges of full knighthood.

I can say not a whit more at present about Hullack, Elmarask, or anything else related to Jerry's question #4 or the unnumbered 710DR query.

And Dargoth, the "hint-dropping bearded sage" is actually a template class. As I've only a goatee to speak of, it seems I'm quite low in levels just now.

-G
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  12:59:49  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message
Well met!

Well, thank you, Mr. Ed, and lovely Lady Hooded!
Based in this new information, I can say that my Waterdeep campaign will, literally, boil up (one of the player character is an evocator/red wizard, sended to Waterdeep to "take a good look at the city and, in the future, prepare to the establishing of an thayan enclave; but he is acting now as an Blackstaff agent; I think that Aznar Thrul will be a very very upset wizard when he receive his last reports... )

quote:
So saith Ed. Creator of Szass Tam, Red Wizards, and slaving Thay. He wants to remind us that he’s not, however, responsible for illithids (illithiliches or Alhoon, yes, but mind flayers, no).
love,
THO

And I remember of the shiver of pure terror that run in my spine when I see the Alhoons for the first time in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  13:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:

Wooly, yes, please! I’ll find a suitable “front” e-account for you to send that to, and then flip it to Ed.

Melfius, Zandilar has surmised the “when” and “who” of Mystra’s mother-possessions perfectly. That’s what Ed was referring to.

Faraer, Ed and Gary get along fine (despite what some posters on various boards would have you believe). Several times during the second panel, they made each other laugh, and once Ed’s suggested way of dealing with a campaign problem made Gary say delightedly, “I’ve gotta try that! I’d LOVE to run something like that!” Ed’s been invited to Gary’s small annual Lake Geneva gaming con (next June), but doesn’t yet know if he can attend. He very much wants to, just to have the chance to see Steven Schend in person again.

Jerry, great questions - - and Garen Thal’s answers are well-nigh perfect. Ed will add a LITTLE to them, after careful examination of his NDAs, but expect nothing major: when Garen speaks of leaving the Unnamed as they are, he’s right to do so.

Ed tells me another reply, on unrelated matters, is coming tomorrow. He has to trundle off to the library first, and ply the ladies with chocolates and kisses (er, do a work shift).
love to all,
THO

Aw, shucks, ma'am....

Of course Ed knows he's welcome down this-a-way any time he can make it. If I could, I'd be up in Ontario vastly more often than once a tenyear....

Steven
Who yearns fervently to meet THO in the flesh, rather than just in dreams and infrequent fantasies...

PS: I'll pick Ed's brain about this, but a question for the Hooded One herself--What details/things do you (or your PCs) remember about Nain Keenwhistler and Malchor Harpell that never seem to make it into TSR/WotC books? Yes, this has some bearing on BLACKSTAFF. Why do you ask?

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2005 :  23:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
I'd be interested to know the exact number of deaths poor Nain has suffered!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  05:47:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. My, what busy questors you’ve become! Let me plunge right in (so to speak) to aid in the overall elucidation.
First off, to Slime Lord (elsewhere here at Candlekeep): no, I’m not Ed; yes, my name is going to remain mysterious (sorry); and yes, I’m female (I just checked; cue mental images for Wooly and for Steven).
Secondly, to Melfius: yes, Ed was referring to Mystra possessing Elué Shundar and Iliryztara Veladorn, and yes, Zandilar has the point at which the latter happened spot-on correct.
Thirdly, to Will (sorry: Athenon): Garen Thal is—as always—correct: the saga of the Great Sembian Peace Wall is a tale probably best told by Jeff Grubb.
Which brings me to Ed’s responses to Jerry:

Hi, Jerry! Great questions, already ably answered by Garen Thal, but let me have a go:
1. Martin Freyault Illance is a still-very-much-alive, darkly handsome young womanizer of charm, wit, and the ability to become a self-effacing “listener in the background.” His uncle, Freyault Illance, who was assassinated in DEATH OF THE DRAGON, was a far more arrogant, flamboyant, non-stop womanizer, of the “There’s not a wench in the realm as can withstand my matchless charm! Behold, as I conquer anew!” sort. So, no, they’re not the same guy.
Garen is quite correct that Freyault is a family name (first borne by a famous and heroic Illance great-grandsire, who served the Crown well in battles in the Stonelands and what were then termed “the Hullack wilds,” or lawless rolling country, now tamed and patrolled farmlands, around the Hullack Forest), and that Martin (a name derived from Delamartina, his exquisitely-beautiful grandmother, reputed to have given birth to no less than four royal bastards whom Vangey “vanished” as newborns; he’s thought to have spirited them away, NOT slain them) was bestowed on the younger Illance to distinguish the two of them.
Garen is also quite correct in saying most of the Illance men are womanizers. Let me amplify that: most of the Illance men possess good looks and a womanizing streak that makes the Obarskyrs look timid. This, plus their glib tongues, business successes, and aggressive traits (dueling, intimidating, manipulating) has made the family widely disliked.

2. The published Rayburton lifespans have fallen victim to typos, and should be, as Garen Thal surmised: Onkyl Drethan Rayburton (-40 DR -- 41 DR) being the father of Telarn Erren Rayburton (-21 DR -- 43 DR). An old but still active NDA is threaded through this, and prevents me from giving more details.

3. As you say, it’s obvious that House Orthwood regained its noble status sometime between 1227 DR and 1371 DR. As Garen suggests, I’m not going to say why (and yes, as he conjectures, it’s most likely the result of Orthwood loyalty during the regency of Salember).
However, I will say this much: restoration of nobility to those who’ve lost it isn’t unprecedented in Cormyr at all! (It IS rare for the “guilty parties,” the heads or elders of the house at the time of the loss of nobility, to regain their personal standing within the reign of the same Obarskyr monarch, yes. Nobility is usually restored by a later monarch, in return for demonstrated personal loyalty, aid, or support by members of the “darkshield” [= stripped of nobility] family.) As Garen says: “It is usually younger kin, cousins, and “country knight” types, disgraced by more “refined” relatives closer to the seats of family power, that work for and achieve” restoration of personal or family titles. His point about certain individuals retaining personal military or Court ranks even as their kin are disgraced and even exiled, stands.
Given time, I could go back through the various reigns (notably those of Duar, Iltharl, and post-Salember), and generate a list of well over a dozen such families. However, considering that WotC is waiting for me to turn in three late projects right now, that’s time I dare not take.

4. Bam! We run full-tilt into Dreaded NDA Territory. (When you feel the quicksand quaking under your feet, don’t slow down, but rather circle quickly to your right and try to go back in the direction you came from . . . )
Let’s see what can be said . . .
a) Yup, hostilities commenced er, “close to” 1190 DR. I’ll have to check with certain other parties to see how specific I can be here.
b) Same again, thanks.
c) Slightly west of the midpoint of the forest, east-west, a bare mile or so in from the north edge. The forest was larger then, but most of its shrinkage (due to woodcutting AND farm clearances rather than just periodic woodcutting) has been on the southern and western edges. Again, to say more about the Hall, I’ll have to get clearance.
d) Again, I have to be very careful what I now say about House Drauthglas (read: must get clearance to say more), but Garen Thal is quite correct: unless or until Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak (good friends of mine, and both very busy at present with non-Realms work) make any changes, the published Wyvernspur genealogy is both complete and correct.
Well, let me give a hint more: the Wyvernspurs have enjoyed (earned) great royal favour from time to time, and bestowing territory is one reward monarchs can give. Drauthglas daughters almost certainly married into families who either owed the Obarskyrs debts (which they paid in part by certain land transfers), or who earned enough royal disfavour at some point (or points) to be dispossessed of their Cormyrean holdings.

As for the three “vanished in 710 DR” families: yes, this is an NDA matter, names and all. I agree that “in-game” their names would be known and remembered to this day. However, I can continue to converse here at Candlekeep (at all) only by respecting NDAs - - and sometimes doing so is like walking a tightrope that has a serpentine mind of its own, believe me - - and this is one of those times where we’re all just going to have to wait.
With that said, Jerry, please understand that I’ve really only “answered” your Question 1: I hope to answer everything else some time in the future, in one manner or another (perhaps surprisingly). We may have literally years to wait, I’m afraid, but I WILL keep these questions on my “as soon as I can” list, and, indeed, answer them as soon as I can.

So saith Ed. Steven, darling, I’d love to meet you “in the flesh” (in all senses of the word; if Ed respects you that much, than you’re a man for me), but I have to run and do some clearances for crews rushing south to mop up (restore power and drinking water) after Hurricane Katrina, so my paltry Harpell and Nain revelations will have to wait until tomorrow. Sorry!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  17:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
Now the Waterdeep product is out and the NDA's for such have hopefully retreated into the rat hills where they belong another question for the queue. Since Mr Boyd left three of my favourites out of the book* are there any interesting titbits you can share about that interesting group Felibarr Blacklance, Azibar of the Seven Skulls and Onshal Goldcloak and their old master Melinter? I know about the adventure that Felibarr featured in but any other scraps you'd care to provide would be very gratefully received.

*before anyone chips in, I Know there were tight space constraints and I'm sure he'd have made the book five times the size given the chance, no slight to E.L.B is intended

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  01:41:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. My turn to jaw this time, whilst Ed buckles down and worksworksworks, and my words are a reply of sorts to Steven Schend:

Hi, Steven! Drawing on my memories and notes (the latter are direct dictation of Ed’s descriptions during play), here’s what I can tell you of Malchor Harpell and Nain Keenwhistler:

Malchor: in facial features, looks like Doctor Strange (only with a “chin fringe” VERY neatly-cropped beard, a la Bruce Heard, and no shock of white hair). Forbidding glossy black eyebrows, eyes so very dark blue as to seem black. Sardonic, intellect instantly apparent when he speaks. Capable of very dry humour, tends to be calm and patient (though he may emit small sighs of resignation) in the face of danger, idiocy on the part of companions, and so on. Now an “elder statesman” of his family due to his intelligence, worldly experience, and skill at getting various wacky Harpells to work together and to reach agreements. He has this status despite the fact that there are plenty of eccentric, take-guff-from-no-one elder Harpells dwelling in Longsaddle.
Malchor isn’t “fearless in battle,” but seems so to many fellow adventurers because he can and does maintain an outward calm no matter what’s happening. He’s pragmatic, not overly proud, and like most mages only seems to lust after new magic (spells he hasn’t seen before in particular). However, he won’t do foolish or reckless things to acquire magic, because “Every day Mystra sends forth more magic than I can ever master in all my life; if I gain not yon spell or tome, another will happen along in my days ahead. My duty is to fully know and fully use the spells I do have.”
Although Malchor isn’t arrogant, he regards courtiers, military officers, nobility, and even rulers as “no better than the rest of us,” and calmly treats them as equals.
He prefers dark, simple (monochrome, no adornments and NEVER any patterns in the fabric) robes and cloaks (black and gray are favoured).

Nain I know a lot less about, because in most of the play I was involved in he was “Malchor’s nigh-silent second fiddle.” He was tall, laconic, young (younger than Malchor, that is), more cautious than Savengriff and “one for following orders.” He obeyed Malchor and looked to him for direction, adhering to the orders he’d been given (and he always asked for orders) if ever he had to operate on his own or be in charge of anything. He said little, but watched and listened and remembered (and so could report events, words said, and descriptions in devastating detail later). A “team player” who’d go into a situation where he knew he was going to get hurt or look bad, because it would benefit the party as a whole, or the aims they were pursuing.

That’s pretty much all the useful lore I have. Poor Ed is struggling to finish something for the WotC website and work at the library and shop to replace the depleted household larder after trips to two conventions and do a flood of radio interviews for CITY OF SPLENDORS (though Elaine has done yeoman service handling most of them) and deal with a flood of lore requests from Wizards. However, he’ll return with more Realmslore ASAP.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  01:54:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Shall I use the email addy you used to earlier this day contact me, my lady? Or have you another you'd prefer I use?

I have another question to add to Ed's queue. When last we saw Baelam the Bold, he was in Myth Drannor. Where is he now, and what's he been doing? And if there's any more lore you can provide on him, beyond the write-ups he's had in Dragon and the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, I'd love to see it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  01:59:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
That account will be fine, m'lud. I sometimes don't check it for a week or two (as you now know), but (ahem) you can flog me for such shortcomings.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  02:45:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I have another question to add to Ed's queue. When last we saw Baelam the Bold, he was in Myth Drannor. Where is he now, and what's he been doing? And if there's any more lore you can provide on him, beyond the write-ups he's had in Dragon and the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set, I'd love to see it.

You obviously haven't picked up "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" yet, Wooly. We get some good background on Baelam and some idea of matters related to him going on in Waterdeep.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  03:16:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

You obviously haven't picked up "City of Splendors: Waterdeep" yet, Wooly. We get some good background on Baelam and some idea of matters related to him going on in Waterdeep.

-- George Krashos

Well, he is mentioned in connection to the Wonderstar Garrison, but that's all rumors. And most of the background about the man himself we had seen in the other sources I mentioned.

If he now is in Waterdeep, it still leaves the question of what all he did in Myth Drannor and the points between there and the City of Splendors. And if he's not there, my question is still valid.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000