Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:08:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk08

Here I was, sitting at work thinking about any new campaign ideas I could use, when something suddenly hit me. What would happen if two different types of Lycanthropes had a child. Lets just choose a Werebear father and Weretiger mother. Would the child be a freak even to lycanthropes because he/she can assume either form upon his choosing? Or would it just be a 50% chance he would get one or the other? Any help from the great Ed or anyone else that checks this thread would be much appreciated

According to Van Richten's Monster Hunter Compendium 1 (a 2E Ravenloft source, but one I consider invaluable for any DM who would field vampires and werewolves), lycanthropes of differing phenotypes seem to have an aversion to one another, and are not likely to breed. However, if they did, the offspring would be an infertile mixture of the two breeds.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2005 :  16:12:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Ed, are you still in touch with Jeff Grubb? It would be great to see him stop by at Candlekeep.' I'm sure i'm not the only one who would have questions for him. I still hold his (and Kate's) novels up there as some of my favorite FR novels

I second this one. I should love to see that author duo drop into these halls. I should even more love to see them writing Realms novels again.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:30:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed continues his reply to Jamallo Kreen in the matter of “classic books” of the Realms:

Behold: more “classic” tomes of human Faerûnian literature:

DUNSTABLE’S DREAMS by Osmer Dunstable (thick, hand-sized but very thick; many editions, the most recent ones sold with leather slipcovers with four thong catches, to help protect the spine of the book from splitting swiftly; a sort of “Bartlett’s Quotations” for the Realms: collected witty sayings and retorts, phrases, mottoes, and coined words from all over Faerûn, and from all times since the Common Tongue became, well, common; this much-consulted collection is politely called “Dreams” but casually referred to just as “Dunstable”).

ARDOSO: A ROMANCE OF MAGIC by Marmoth Ellerth (a slender volume, always bound in nonsense “mystical symbols” that in some cases have concealed coded messages having nothing to do with the book’s contents; this flowery, purple-prose tale of a young wizard, Ardoso, and his rapid rise to ruling his own fictitious realm as an archwizard of matchless might-in-Art is complete tripe in terms of factual magic lore, but is widely admired for its poetic prose - - which in most places is wildly overblown and ridiculous, but which has yielded to popular speech and other writers some useful phrases such as “all eye-fingered” to describe someone who’s warily “looking in all directions” or is extremely, restlessly nervous; “dusk-eyed and soft-shouldered” to denote a beautiful female dressed and acting so as to mutely request the attentions of someone, but NOT flirting or forwardly demanding their advances; “gods-kissed” to denote someone who is struck with brilliant ideas or endowed with a natural talent that enables them to excel astonishingly without training; “storm-browed” to describe someone glowering in anger).

THE CASTLE OF FOREVER by Hildark Marblesard (a fanciful “history” of Dragonspear Castle, in which the ghosts of various fictitious lords of the fortress who were interred in the walls at their deaths, emerge to top each others’ tales of their times in Dragonspear, and dispute as to what really happened [and whether this or that outland visitor was really a foe of Dragonspear or an ally, and so on]; as history, it’s almost entirely nonsense [beyond a few small snippets here and there about particular people, events, or architectural details of the castle], but the ghosts are thinly-disguised parodies of real rulers, and the timid, scholarly Marblesard puts into their mouths the speeches, views, and attitudes of the real people [hence the lively debates between them], lampooning the womanizing of Azoun IV of Cormyr, the hauteur of Calishite pashas and the Council of Amn, the bombast of Harbromm of Citadel Adbar, and so on; this recently-published tome has soared in popularity to join the ranks of classics because word of mouth across Faerûn attributes to it not the mere entertainment of parody, but veracity in capturing the essential characters of the real rulers, so that it has practical use in understanding how to anticipate what they’ll do next, and how to treat with them if one desires friendship or approval).

SWORDSTAR by Myndrarra Tresstyl (a slim, pocket-sized book of cryptic verses of guidance, e.g.: “This night holds importance dark/Seek stone, calm thought, and fire’s spark/Much coin, hunted scorn, and wounding all await/Choose the way that’s right and straight” with one such verse per page, and each page being bordered by random numbers; with dice or cast pebbles a reader can derive numbers, and so ‘choose’ the right verse whenever consulting the tome; penned by a tavern dancer/prostitute, this book gained popularity when various priesthoods [most of whom give similar guidance by means of hidden clergy chanting or whispering cryptic verses to faithful who pray and give offerings at altars, so they see this book as competition] attempted to suppress it. Consulted by many folk in Faerûn today, and read as riddle-entertainment or a spur for thoughtful thinking by many more; its author, now wrinkled with age, is still much sought-after as a bed-partner, because she gasps cryptic words, phrases, and verses to those who pay to bed her, that they believe apply personally to them, and what they should do in their lives ahead).

MASTERS OF THIS HALL by Awntar Halondaeth (a very old book, printed and reprinted many times, sometimes with amendments by anonymous “authors” who thought they could “improve” upon the original; a narrative wherein an aged king dies and his six sons - - bitter rivals and warrior princes of accomplishment, all - - hasten to seize the throne, arriving in the king’s throne chamber to discover it full of the senior priests of the realm, who have cast mighty spells that prevent arrows flying, swords from being drawn, and so on: they force the princes to try to win the throne with words, convincing the majority of priests present who should make the best king [princes who try to storm out without pledging loyalty to the next king will be slain by spells]; the book consists of debates between the brothers, and colourful tales - - both parables and accounts of their own past deeds, however embellished - - told by them, as they dispute with each other and with various priests who question them keenly; contains the much-quoted exchange between the priest Erlatho and the prince Daereth: [D: “Enough! I’ll no more of this wordspew and idiocy! Better to stride into death than endure more of your waspsting queries and insinuations! I’m a busy man, with many roads to ride and quarries to pursue! I must and shall begone from this place NOW!” E: “Oh? You’ve something more important to rush off to this morn, I take it, than your own life?”] and many more witty oaths and word-fencing much quoted by readers, in their daily doings with each other.

Enough books for now, as my lovely Lady Hooded has piled high my platter of questions. Accordingly:
Yes, Erik, snippets of all of these exist in my notes (and of course all the pseudobiblia quoted in chapter headings and divers other places in my Realms publications down the years). No, Wizards hasn’t shown any interest in publishing these; TSR once did, briefly, at about the time they published LEAVES FROM THE INN OF LAST HOME (hope I’m remembering the title correctly; my copy is buried in a box several rooms away from me right now). There was a plan to publish the lyrics of the songs I’d handed them for performance at GenCon that year (a few later found their ways into a Volo’s Guide), some “sample” pages from various “famous books” of the Realms, a “sample” spell scroll, complete with runes and incantations and instructions for casting [you can probably guess that the Marketing folks flinched away from THAT one, retreating about a mile, to the Next Door Pub, with wails that could only be quelled with much beer, as I recall], a lot of my original maps, et cetera. And no, I don’t have time now to pull all of this material together again, or any legal means of publishing it except through Wizards. Sorry.

No, Lord Rad, the backlog of questions remains as long (groan!) as ever. :} What’s happened is that scribes have asked about matters I’m currently at work on, or can otherwise lay hands on the lore I need to reply very swiftly, or can answer off the top of my head - - and knowing I’m soon going to be falling silent for a week (and then again, shortly after) spurs me to provide scribes with all the answers I can.
Jeff and I remain close friends, although we don’t chat as much as we used to (we’re both too busy for those three-hour phone calls). I still hope to see new Jeff & Kate novels set in the Realms for us all to enjoy, but just now Jeff’s probably too busy with a new job and a platter-full of freelance work to visit Candlekeep. Kisses of Mystra, I’M too busy to stop by Candlekeep! :}

SiriusBlack, I’m glad you liked the dedication; I only hope you find the narrative itself as pleasing. I bled from both soul and fingertips, slashing so many words from CITY OF SPLENDORS, and part of me really hated doing so. However, the amount of rewriting the book received did make for a better-flowing, more pointed story than you’d have seen if Elaine and I had been allowed all the wordcount we wanted to just mention this, add that, and fully explain the other. Peter Archer was very supportive, and is a superb editor and consummate professional to begin with, and I needed no spell - - just the promise to buy him lots of drinks at GenCon this year. :}
Please let me know, candidly, what you think of the result. I feel we didn’t give enough “face time” to all the characters we wanted to, had to trim some detail throughout, and didn’t fully carry out our intention to take the reader along Waterdeep’s streets and alleys for a real “taste, see, and smell” tour, but we did manage to pack a lot in and tell a coherent story that includes at least some memorable scenes. It’s also a book that I believe a complete newcomer to the Realms (like, say, your neighbour’s grandmother, or the businessman beside you at the bus stop) could read and enjoy without having to learn all about the Realms or D&D, or read any other Realms book. Now if the buying public will only agree, and shove us onto the bestseller lists and make us millions . . .

So saith Ed. Who’s already itching to write a sequel, even though there’s no space in the WotC books lineup until at least 2009, now. Ed tells me he’ll probably be able to send one more reply tomorrow, as he goes out the door to begin the long drive down to GenCon.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  01:45:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, Erik, snippets of all of these exist in my notes (and of course all the pseudobiblia quoted in chapter headings and divers other places in my Realms publications down the years). No, Wizards hasn’t shown any interest in publishing these; TSR once did, briefly, at about the time they published LEAVES FROM THE INN OF LAST HOME (hope I’m remembering the title correctly; my copy is buried in a box several rooms away from me right now).
A Realms version of the DL Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home ... Wow!

I've always wanted to see a product like this for Faerun -- with a Leaves from the Halls of Candlekeep or somesuch title. The DL version was a wonderful product for that game line, with an inspiring collection of lore and material that expanded upon the more mundane aspects of the world of Krynn. It's true magic, came from just reading about different elements, rather than employing them in a game.

It's such a shame this type of companion never went ahead .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  02:17:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
SiriusBlack, I’m glad you liked the dedication; I only hope you find the narrative itself as pleasing. I bled from both soul and fingertips, slashing so many words from CITY OF SPLENDORS, and part of me really hated doing so. However, the amount of rewriting the book received did make for a better-flowing, more pointed story than you’d have seen if Elaine and I had been allowed all the wordcount we wanted to just mention this, add that, and fully explain the other. Peter Archer was very supportive, and is a superb editor and consummate professional to begin with, and I needed no spell - - just the promise to buy him lots of drinks at GenCon this year. :}

Thank you for taking the time to answer my query. Please do pass along what Mr. Archer drinks. If paths should ever cross, I'm sure many Realms fans wish to know what spirit to arm ourselves with as we plead for a Realms novel focusing on a certain character or characters.

quote:

Please let me know, candidly, what you think of the result. I feel we didn’t give enough “face time” to all the characters we wanted to, had to trim some detail throughout, and didn’t fully carry out our intention to take the reader along Waterdeep’s streets and alleys for a real “taste, see, and smell” tour, but we did manage to pack a lot in and tell a coherent story that includes at least some memorable scenes. It’s also a book that I believe a complete newcomer to the Realms (like, say, your neighbour’s grandmother, or the businessman beside you at the bus stop) could read and enjoy without having to learn all about the Realms or D&D, or read any other Realms book.

I'm only a 1/4 of the way through the novel and as I mentioned to your co-author, I'm very much delighted so far with what I've read. I promise to share thoughts and most likely bothersome questions when I finish reading this work.

quote:

Now if the buying public will only agree, and shove us onto the bestseller lists and make us millions . . .

Say...do those individuals mentioned by name in a dedication get a percentage of such sales? If so, Sirius raises his eyebrows at a certain THO, "Care for a personal librarian dear lady?"

quote:

Ed tells me he’ll probably be able to send one more reply tomorrow, as he goes out the door to begin the long drive down to GenCon.

Safe journey to him. I hope he enjoys his time there.

SiriusBlack
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2005 :  20:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

(snip)

Jamallo, Ed’s sending me more “classic books” descriptions before he leaves for GenCon. Watch this thread.
(snip)
love to all,
THO

Thank 'ee. I wait with baited breath. (Bated? Hmmm ... garlicky.)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  00:18:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. I bring a reply from Ed to Nighthawk08:

Hi. My take on this is that lycanthropy has varied so much in the game rules, from edition to edition (depending on who was writing at the time: it’s a disease! No, it’s a magic curse! No, it’s both! No, it’s neither, but something else entirely! It’s inherited! No, it can’t be inherited!), that all is confusion and you can do just as you like.
In other words, the understanding of lycanthropy (and for that matter, genetics) in the Realms is fuzzy enough that you have a free hand as DM to have the child of two lycanthropes be “normal” (no lycanthropy at all), or able to assume the wereshape of only one parent, or both, or some other wereshape entirely, or have some other beast-related or personal shapechanging powers. This should be unpredictable (by which I mean not uncontrollable for the child, but that no one in the setting could know beforehand that the child of a werebear father and a weretiger mother will predictably have these particular powers), and there should be no “freak” attitude (remember, it’s highly unlikely that other lycanthropes will quickly learn anything about the child’s abilities unless the parents are living in a lycanthrope-only community; if they’re living among “normals,” they’re probably going to try to conceal everything they can about their lycanthopy).
If lycanthropy can be genetically inherited (and I would have it so, just because of the increased play possibilities), the probability of a child acquiring a particular form (the “50% chance” you mention) is, I believe, entirely up to you. In other words, a statistical survey would probably reveal “real” probabilities across the Faerûnian lycanthrope population, but no such survey has ever been done, and therefore “no one knows” the probabilities; you have a free hand.
As for your measurements questions: many different local systems are in use (though “miles” is NOT one of them!), but common trading and therefore widespread measurements are: fingerwidths; “hands” (handwidths, of a mature human male); “arlshanks” (formerly the length of the Uthgardt barbarian hero Ar’s thigh, now a standard measurement exactly equivalent to the real-world “yard” or three feet; Ar was a big guy; a Waterdeep merchant made flat metal plate replicas [stamped with his complicated proof-mark] of Ar’s thighbone after the hero’s death, and these now see wide use up and down the Sword coast and east along the Heartlands trade routes); wagonlengths; bowshots; halfday-rides, day-rides, tenday rides and halfday-hauls (“haul” refers to one horse and laden wagon, as opposed to “ride,” which is one rider on a fast riding-horse), day-hauls, and tenday-hauls.
As you can see, any of these measurements except the arlshank can vary widely, and be the source of much disagreement (“YOUR fat finger, merchant? Or mine?”), and new “better” measurements are constantly being introduced. Nothing thus far has widely and firmly caught on.

So saith Ed. Who will return again after GenCon. As will I.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  01:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
new “better” measurements are constantly being introduced. Nothing thus far has widely and firmly caught on.
One of the NDAs Ed's labouring under concerns the forthcoming Emperor of the North trilogy in which -- SPOILERS -- the great general Napulaun overthrows the government of Amn, conquers northwestern Faerûn, establishes a new system of measurement, but is defeated by Princess Alusair of Cormyr at the Battle of Waterdeep and imprisoned on Ilbar's Isle.

Fair voyaging!

Edited by - Faraer on 16 Aug 2005 01:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  02:14:53  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
new “better” measurements are constantly being introduced. Nothing thus far has widely and firmly caught on.
One of the NDAs Ed's labouring under concerns the forthcoming Emperor of the North trilogy in which -- SPOILERS -- the great general Napulaun overthrows the government of Amn, conquers northwestern Faerûn, establishes a new system of measurement, but is defeated by Princess Alusair of Cormyr at the Battle of Waterdeep and imprisoned on Ilbar's Isle.

Fair voyaging!

SO the Centauri of Babylon 5 are going to try to conquer the north???

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  03:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message
hello,

I was floored when I saw this:
quote:
By my deliberate design and my players’ preferences, play in the Realms has always featured three things:
1. Characters having the freedom to “do their own things.”
[snip]...

2. The Realms Unfolding: I kept a constant flow of “current events” (and rumors) flowing past my players’ ears, to make the Realms seem alive, to hand the players a rich selection of adventuring and roleplaying opportunities,.and to continually introduce new NPCs (that “cast of thousands” so many of my editors loved to hate).
3. Subplots and intrigues. I love them, and so do my players. [snip].... and there were seldom less than a dozen subplots “in play” on their platters at any one time.

I finished some guidelines two weeks ago for a new campaign I am working on and there are three bulleted items and they are:
1)the PCs will have more autonomy as the campaign progresses.
2)The characters don’t live in a vacuum. Don’t expect the world to sit still as with Star Trek; it is always changing.
3)Not only can the party affect the world, but the world may affect the party. Expect there also to be storylines with player characters.

Then I read what his subplots were and wow....
wow.....
That is a lot of work....
I am really, really impressed, and where can I get in on the campaign?
wow....

Mkhaiwati
(in awe of the number, size, and scope of the subplots, okay.. a little envious too)

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  03:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Card games: Archers, Chase the Dragon*, High Dragon, Old Wizard, Smashcastle, Strikedragon/Battles, Swords, Swords and Shields, talis card games

Dice games: thabort, Traitors’ Heads, Wheel-of-Spells*

Board games: chess and variants (lanceboard), chethlachance, fiveknights, lancers and lions, shirestone

Other games: jacks, shove-skittles, tag, Toss the Dagger

* might be mixed up as to which is card, which dice
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  07:23:22  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message
Hi,

I thought that I would not walk this halls for a while, at least asking one or two questions ... but, here I am again.

We are many fellows who do not know which day and month king Azoun IV died. Maybe, master Aed from Greedwood could help us out.

Now, which way to go ... a, yes, thanks for your time.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  09:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met, fair Lady THO and Ed!

Ed, I enjoyed Silverfall a lot, and I truly consider it a milestone in fantasy literature. I cannot recall any other novel that has portrayed villains and anti-heroes so marvelously. Too often we see villains whose only connection to the "heroes" (whether in a rpg adventure or a novel) is only through their sinister ambitions and the threat they pose to the society. Now we had a glimpse at their dreams, passions, and even hobbies - such as reading romantic novels. That scene with Master Labraster slipping in horse dung, while drunkenly moaning at his fate touched me deeply! Or the zhent assassin that wrote the 'Heartsteel' novels...

I just would have liked it go on and on... but every good thing comes to an end *sigh*

Now I heard that your 'Best of Eddie' is soon available at my local bookstore, so I just have to wait for a couple of weeks to get my hands on that. And then there will be the 'City of Splendors' - I just wonder how on Fair Toril you find time to write all that

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2005 :  15:17:54  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message
Dear Lady THO and Ed,

Have you considered doing some recordings of your play sessions? Kind of a folklore preservation idea for future generations of Forgotten Realms lovers to hear. I take it that a video would be scandalous and make it hard to share with the kiddies.

Considering the depth of things going on, you might have a revenue stream like a monthly podcast for subscribers.

EvilKnight

Edited by - EvilKnight on 16 Aug 2005 15:19:57
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2005 :  08:35:59  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
Dear Mr. Greenwood,

I have a few questions about the Simbul and her possessions, that I imagine only you would be capable of succeeding the Knowledge check DC to answer;

It had been my assumption that she pretty much always wore that tattered black gown, to the exclusion of other garments, which would serve to explain its condition. Maybe there was some psychological sentimental attachment to it, and because of such an attachment and given her eccentricities such behavior makes for a quirky (albeit not very hygenic) character trait. But sometimes she is described as wearing other garments, like in Silverfall she wearing an elegant gown when she retrieves Sylune’s stone from Blandras Nuin, and later she is wearing some ‘living creature with flesh pockets’ that can transform itself into a garmet, while other times her clothing has a tendency to get blasted off in battles. In those cases my theory seems to fall flat.

So what is the deal with her tattered gown? What is the back-story behind it? Why does she sometimes choose to wear more elegant gowns? Does the tattered gown (or any of her other robes) have any magical properties similar to any of the magical robes in the rulebooks? Does she use mending spells or similar magic to keep some of the damage to her tattered robe in check, so that it is not completely destroyed?

Also, what does her Girdle of Rods (Elminster in Hell) do? Is it just a variant of a potion belt (mundane item in the FRCS) that holds rods instead of potions, or does it have any magical powers of its own? Also does it have anything to do with that whole notion of her storing magic rods inside her physical body and using them while they are “within” her? (which apparently she does latter in the novel, as it is described when one of them runs out of charges)

Oh, and when an apprentice of the Simbul killed off Magister Uldinus Lawkland, the “fat greasy worm of a man” (Secrets of the Magister) on her behalf (because Mystra’s laws forbid a Chosen to strike at the Magister directly), what did the Simbul do about recovering copies of her Spell Trigger magic? Is the fact that he stole copies of these spells (and perhaps dispersed them) the reason why in 3rd edition they now appear to be available for anyone to use in Magic of Faerun and the Players Guide to Faerun? Also, did she steal or discover the secrets he used to wear more than one ring at a time? I know in hthe early part of her story in Silverfall its mentioned that she is wearing a great number of rings on her hands, and at least in 3E D&D it is possible to craft magic items that do nor occupy an actual item slot (by doubling the crafting costs and market price), which I am sure she could do with her Forge Ring feat.

Lastly, in regards to the spell-storing Gems carried in Phaeldara's hair, imbeded within the Simbul's bedposts, and that she carried "under her breasts" in hopes of using them to heal Elminster (in Elminster in hell), which of the following would you consider them to be closest to in terms of actual game features;

1) Attuned Gems, as described in Magic of Faerun.
2) The focus component gems for a particularly long duration casting of one of her Simbul's Spell Matrix line of spells.
3) Spell-storing gems that are the result perhaps of a variant of the Focal Stone spell used by Valamaradace (described on the WoTC website here:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20040225a )
or the Shalantha's Delicate Disk spell found in Lost Empires of Faerun.
4) Spellstars, or their 3E equivalents, as decribed in the Seven Sisters.
5) something else entirely.

Thanks

Edited by - The Simbul on 19 Aug 2005 08:51:02
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  00:49:40  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I hear Eds handing out promos of Elminster mini at Gencon which will appear in the Underdark set.

What did you think of it Ed?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  05:40:10  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
An Elminster mini?

How would they fit all of his special abilities and spells onto those tiny stat cards? Hell, several of the powers he does have (Immunity to Aging, Name Attunement, ability to wield Spellfire) werent even included in his 3E FRCS stat block, and they had a full page for that...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  05:57:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

An Elminster mini?

How would they fit all of his special abilities and spells onto those tiny stat cards? Hell, several of the powers he does have (Immunity to Aging, Name Attunement, ability to wield Spellfire) werent even included in his 3E FRCS stat block, and they had a full page for that...

Elminster is an Epic figure which means he has 2 stat cards (This is new and Underdark will be the first set to feature it) basicly theres a Card for 200 point plaqy and a card for 500 point play Elminsters non epic card is worth 101 and his epic card is worth around 270

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  13:40:19  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
Wow well thats nice. Lets just hope they dont mess up his stat block then.

That aside, I hope they make ones of some of the other Chosen (hmm can you guess which one to which I am refering?). I hear alot of D&D Miniatures players use (or perhaps, abuse) the powers of the Red Wizard mini....I dont know because I dont play, but maybe a mini of the Simbul might putting those tactics to a swift end.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  13:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Wow well thats nice. Lets just hope they dont mess up his stat block then.

That aside, I hope they make ones of some of the other Chosen (hmm can you guess which one to which I am refering?). I hear alot of D&D Miniatures players use (or perhaps, abuse) the powers of the Red Wizard mini....I dont know because I dont play, but maybe a mini of the Simbul might putting those tactics to a swift end.

Elminsters Stat cards

Elminster of Shadowdale: CG 16/60; Reg: 100 pts, Level 12, Spd 6, AC 18, HP 90; Epic: 269 pts, level 20, Spd 6, AC 26, 200 hp

Elminster's main special abilitity is Mastery of Spellcasting which lets him cast every spell that each creature of your warband has once. His Commander Effect grants +2 to Spell DCs, and his Warband Building allows LG commanders in your warband! He has two uses of scorching ray and a new spell called somthing curse which forces all saves made by and enemy to be rolled twice taking the lower roll DC 19; plus the quick cast and spell penetration.He has a no save 20 fire damage line special ability (his epic is 30).

The Epic Elminster has unlimited scorching ray, 2 uses of disintegrate, and baneful teleport which sends a creature back to starting tile, no save.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 20 Aug 2005 14:10:10
Go to Top of Page

Alva
Acolyte

Belgium
1 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2005 :  15:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Alva's Homepage Send Alva a Private Message
My first post ever on this forum; here i go...

Dear Mr. Greenwood,

First, I want to thank U for creating the Realms. Since the release of Baldur's Gate on PC I am a huge fan of The Forgotten Realms and completely addicted to realmslore.

Currently, I am working on a new campaign, featuring the Western Heartlands, Sememmon and The Zhentarim. For this purpose I am searching for as much information as possible about Triel, near Elturel and Soubar. I've found quite a bit in the FRCS 2nd Edition and Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, but nothing in the FRCS 3rd Edition or other recent publications. Nothing up to date to 1373DR therefore.

So, i was wondering how Triel is doing in present day? Some general information (population, people of power in the community, temples,...) would be fantastic. Also, is Elvar the Grainlord still Lord of Triel? Is he in 3.5 rules still a CN male human Rog9? Is he still obsessed by religion; and if so which god does he whorships these days? Is Antriera still the only priestess in town? Is the town facing some problems currently? In Cloak&Dagger is mentioned that the Zhentarim are present in Triel, but what is their exact influence in the town?

I could go further for hours with questions but i guess this is enough.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  05:59:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ed killed off Elvar the Grainlord in his novel "Hand of Fire", the last in the Shandril Trilogy. Triel hasn't been updated anywhere for the current Realms (1370s DR) so unless Ed can add anything here, you pretty much have free rein.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  16:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
Strange aside that I ran across while looking through elder things....

We've been misspelling a city in Impiltur for years! On the original maps in the Ol' Grey Box, the city's name is printed as Alammach. I don't know if I was the first one to screw it up in Sea of Fallen Stars or not, but I've been typing that as Hlammach for years....and now I'm embarrassed.

Then again, many a new place has come into existence on the maps simply because the original mappers couldn't read Ed's crabbed hand-writings (at least that's the story Jeff Grubb tells about many a place name...)

Not so much a question or comment to Ed as to the constant little surprises that lurk in the Realms, even for those of us who've worked closely with it for 18 years....

Hope Gen Con went well for ye, Ed (and any one else who made it to Indy).

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  18:45:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Greetings Ed and Lady Hooded One.

I have a question concerning the Incantatrix, which I understand started out as an NPC-class in a Dragon-article by Ed.

In the class-description for Incantatrix in the Player's Guide to Faerûn, it is said that most incantatrixes are female. What I was wondering is: Is there any in-game "fluff/lore" reason for this?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  00:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message
Hail Ed and of course My Lady Hooded One!

Firstly I'd like to express just a little of the happyness I've felt while playing a FR Campaign. Indeed I must award you a hell of alot of respect for all the effort, time and kill that you've put into the creation of the realms. Many Thanks!

My question is random :-p. I was wondering the other day, ho much input did you have to the Spelljammer setting? (From what I understand TSR Elaborated on the other contenents of Toril). I was wondering if the idea of the Spheres was yours or a marketing tool used by TSR to join at least 3 of their Settings together.

I'm currently a PC in a Spelljammer Game, and while I a enjoying it, I'd never run a game of it and I most leave it seperate from the games which I DM tbh I find it a bit too cooky :-p.

I appologise if I've asked a question which you cannot answer!

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  00:39:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

Firstly I'd like to express just a little of the happyness I've felt while playing a FR Campaign. Indeed I must award you a hell of alot of respect for all the effort, time and kill that you've put into the creation of the realms. Many Thanks!

My question is random :-p. I was wondering the other day, ho much input did you have to the Spelljammer setting? (From what I understand TSR Elaborated on the other contenents of Toril). I was wondering if the idea of the Spheres was yours or a marketing tool used by TSR to join at least 3 of their Settings together.

I'm currently a PC in a Spelljammer Game, and while I a enjoying it, I'd never run a game of it and I most leave it seperate from the games which I DM tbh I find it a bit too cooky :-p.

Hanx
Elrond

I believe the idea of crystal spheres, and how it was thought up, was in the preface to one of the two books in the Adventures in Space boxed set. It was either there or in the article in Dragon that first discussed Spelljammer.

Quoting from the lovely Lady Hooded One when I asked a similar question, last year:

quote:
On March 22, 2004 THO said: Wooly Rupert, I can start to answer this question without checking with Ed (don't worry, I will, later :}), because he wrote the first accessory for Spelljammer (SJR1, I think: "Lost Ships" was the title), and had a LOT of fun with it. I recall overhearing him GIGGLING when Jeff Grubb (designer of the setting) was describing some of the "wacky science" of the setting, on the phone.

Bored guard on ship, smoking (against rules): just before superior officer comes around checking, tosses pipe sideways over the rail, nods to officer, officer moves on, guard reaches out and catches his pipe again -- which has circled around amidships to pop back up again...the same trajectory (smack in back of head warning!) vomit follows, when projected 'over the side.'
:}
THO

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  00:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
From "The enchanting incantatrix" (Dragon #90):
quote:
All those identified as incantatrixes (and there are only seven known living incantatrixes in the Realms at present) thus far have been females of human or half-elven stock. It is not known whether beings of other races and sexes can become incantatrixes, but some sages suspect that the (human male) spellcaster known as Durngrym, an adventurer who lived some seven hundred winters ago, was an incantatrix (the male term, according to the sage Marridus, is “incantatar”). The individual presently known only as “The Mage of Stars” may also be an incantatar.
I.e. incantatrixes aren't well enough understood to say why they're almost all women, though doubtless some sages have theories.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  02:39:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Strange aside that I ran across while looking through elder things....

We've been misspelling a city in Impiltur for years! On the original maps in the Ol' Grey Box, the city's name is printed as Alammach. I don't know if I was the first one to screw it up in Sea of Fallen Stars or not, but I've been typing that as Hlammach for years....and now I'm embarrassed.

That's not an Ol' Grey Box map you're looking at Steven; it's the one from FR9 The Bloodstone Lands (which is full of mistakes: Sevenecho as Sevone, Ravens Bluff as Ravensgate, High Haspur as something else etc.). The lands of Impiltur just missed out on the 'smaller' maps in the 1E boxed set, and no Impilturian city gets noted on the large 'Faerun-wide' maps. Given that Steve Perrin (drawing from Ed's notes) gives us Hlammach in FR6, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that this is the correct terminology.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  08:34:03  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message
quote:
[quote:Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven]

Hanx
Elrond

I believe the idea of crystal spheres, and how it was thought up, was in the preface to one of the two books in the Adventures in Space boxed set. It was either there or in the article in Dragon that first discussed Spelljammer.

Quoting from the lovely Lady Hooded One when I asked a similar question, last year:

quote:
On March 22, 2004 THO said: Wooly Rupert, I can start to answer this question without checking with Ed (don't worry, I will, later :}), because he wrote the first accessory for Spelljammer (SJR1, I think: "Lost Ships" was the title), and had a LOT of fun with it. I recall overhearing him GIGGLING when Jeff Grubb (designer of the setting) was describing some of the "wacky science" of the setting, on the phone.

Bored guard on ship, smoking (against rules): just before superior officer comes around checking, tosses pipe sideways over the rail, nods to officer, officer moves on, guard reaches out and catches his pipe again -- which has circled around amidships to pop back up again...the same trajectory (smack in back of head warning!) vomit follows, when projected 'over the side.'
:}
THO

Yar, it seems that Woolys answered my question!

Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  13:26:06  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met once again, Lady THO and Ed!

In the novel Elminster's daughter Vangerdahast has a kitchen sink in his "hideout". I wished to ask that are kitchen sinks (that flush into drains) common in the Realms, then? You also answered my query about tallhouses, and described that there may be even flushable toilets (with water coming from rooftop water cisterns). Maybe these sinks only available in large cities, and only among the wealthy? I had always assumed that washbasins are what people use for cleaning dishes...

Also, (and this may sound really foolish, which I apologise) I was curious about how "specialized" craftsmen are in the Realms? Are there any ropemakers, for example, who only make and sell ropes, or do most craftsmen (experts) try to make several products within their skill. Another example might also be a carpenter, who specializes in crafting fine pieces of furniture (such as chairs, tables, wooden statues, etc). If he lived in a remote village, would he also work occasionally as a roofer (or repair wooden things) for the other villagers (these tasks apparently fall within the Carpentry skill)?

On the same issue, I know that you have previously described "typical" villages in the Heartlands, but do these villagers usually buy their "everyday" items from peddlers or try to make them themselves (even without proper skills)? Such as barrels, pots, ropes, etc.
If there is no resident craftsman in the village (potter, craftsman, ropemaker, saddler, etc.), do they try to make these items themselves? I mean like "you make the barrels, since you have some experince in carpentry, and I will try to make us rope... Dornar know something about leather, so he'd probably be the best leatherworker among us"?
I know that there is usually a blacksmith, but how common (and
profitable) would it be for a potter/cooper/ropemaker live in a small
(farming) hamlet/village?

I also wish to ask the same about butchers - do most communitites with livestock have a resident butcher/slaughterer, or do they take the animals to the nearest town/city? Or do they slaughter the animals themselves when they need meat for cooking? If there is a butcher in a village, would he be paid for every animal, and would he also then prepare the meat to be sold elsewhere? Or is it more common to slaughter animals in the nearest town/city?

Then I'd like to ask how often (usually) travelling merchants/peddlers would visit small villages/hamlets?

Thank you for your patience, once again!

This fellow librarian wishes you well, and I am anxiously waiting for the 'City of Splendors' :) I have almost finished your 'The Best of Eddie', and it has been fantastic!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000