Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  02:57:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hellow, fellow scribes of Realmslore.
To Mumadar Ibn Huzal, Ed makes reply:

Regarding your questions as to what’s hidden beneath the roots of the Wealdath AND how Cylyria Dragonbreast rose to rule Berdusk: NDA to both for now, I’m afraid (possible future fiction). Hopefully at GenCon I’ll have a chance to remind Phil Athans of something first discussed years back, to see if it’s still on the table. There are a lot of new writers getting chances to tell Realms tales, and although most of these will be set in current Realms time, some of them may well reference past history such as these two matters. We’ll have to see.

So saith Ed. I share your sigh.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  23:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
I'd like to second Kuje's long-standing request for Loviatar rituals. Ed, you can describe things clinically enough to keep scirbes from blushing or complaining in disgust, I'm sure.
THO, I'm not so sure about, but if we speak to her SEVERELY . . .
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  00:03:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

I'd like to second Kuje's long-standing request for Loviatar rituals. Ed, you can describe things clinically enough to keep scirbes from blushing or complaining in disgust, I'm sure.
THO, I'm not so sure about, but if we speak to her SEVERELY . . .

YAY! Join with me to beg Ed for those ceremonies! :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  00:04:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, dahling, I resemble that remark.
Hi, all.
By the ever-lengthening arm of coincidence, Ed replies to, yes, Blueblade about that long-ago GenCon adventure BB mentioned in an earlier post:

No, sorry, that adventure has never been published, and probably will never be (remember all the NPC roleplaying? that’s death to plans of publishing an adventure, always). It wasn’t one of those I handed to the RPGA for that reason (in those days, RPGA adventures had to be linear and “the same” from table to table and DM to DM as much as possible, for competition purposes, so Team A and Team B had the same chances of winning points).
Yes, there are indeed tombstones that “open” to allow access to undead-haunted, partially-flooded smugglers’ tunnels under parts of Luskan, and there is a local priestess of Loviatar who likes to use a small part of these tunnels as a place for initiations of those attracted to her rituals - - and has definitely bitten off more than she can chew (ahem). Yes, there are “unseen others” involved. And yes, I’ll probably resurrect this adventure someday to torment new players (probably two decades after I entertained my first lot of victims). Heh-heh; thanks for the reminder.

So saith Ed. Oh, BB, you’ve done it now!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  07:13:04  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message
First off, I want to personally thank Ed and his lovely and talented assitant, Lady Hooded, for taking the time out of their busy lives to answer our questions regarding various points of Realmslore. Having just rediscovered the Candlekeep website after an absence of several years, I was delighted to find Q&A threads with the Realms designers.

Anyway, I've just spent the last few days reading the whole thread for 2005 (obsessive-compulsive, anyone? hehe) and just wanted to get some clarification on Ed's response about the floating enclaves of Netheril (and also poke at a possible continuity issue with a stick :) ).

IIRC, he had stated that only four of the Netherese enclaves were floating cities created by decapitating a mountain, but existing Realmslore from both the Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set and Lost Empires of Faerun contradict this. They indicate that at least twenty floating cities were in existence at the time of Netheril's fall. Is this something that's differentiated between the "home" Realms campaign and the published version?

Also, one of the factors for the Epic spell Proctiv's Move Mountain (the spell that decapitated the mountain and levitated it) found in Player's Guide to Faerun includes a DC adjustment for increasing the integrity of the rock, IIRC, which would allow the gigantic mass to hold itself together. (I only know this because I have an Epic level character who may eventually try to research a ritual version of the spell with a DC that is actually possible to meet, and hence I was busy looking at the listed DC adjustments. >:) )

To the original poster of the question, I just recalled one specific instance of the location of a mountain decapitated by the Netherese: the Aerie of the Snow Eagles (Avariel section of Races of Faerun) was built on one such locale. There may have been more in published lore (the name Wizard's Folly keeps coming to mind, though I'm not sure of the reference), but, if so, I cannot recall it at the moment.

Whew. Anyway, thanks for all your hard work in creating the Realms we've all grown to love.

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  15:34:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Raelan. Well met!
Re Netheril’s floating cities, I’m guessing you’ve misread Ed’s reply. Here’s the relevant part of it: “Smyther, very few of the floating cities of Netheril were severed mountaintops. I know of only two, out of almost two score floating cities and castles (some floating constructs were little more than a single fortress).”

So, Ed’s saying there are almost forty floating cities, but only TWO were “for certain” (and Ed is THE Ultimate Realms Authority) made by severing mountaintops and using those mountaintops as the city base, as opposed to shattering it into rock rubble and fashioning it into building blocks.

Also, it’s important to remember that the Netherese archwizards were extremely competitive. There’s NO WAY that Proctiv’s Move Mountain would have been a spell “shared around” at the time the enclaves were being created. So every enclave creator would have had to “reinvent the wheel” and craft an enclave in their own way.

What Ed was saying was that very few of them were made from intact severed mountaintops (don’t be misled by the inclusion of that spell in the PG). Here’s a snippet from Ed’s notes on the matter, pre-TSR-publication:

“The most popular form of enclave creation was to create a rigid flying base out of something (permanent wall of forces were popular) and bond the archwizard’s existing tower, castle, or garden-surrounded mansion onto it.”

Always remember, Ed’s lore came first, and everyone else embroiders it, sometimes without even having access to the original writings.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Raelan
Acolyte

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  17:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Raelan's Homepage Send Raelan a Private Message
Hah! That's what I get for posting when I can barely keep my eyes open. One of these days I'll realize that a good night's sleep is essential to the capacity for processing information...or perhaps not. I never claimed to be smart. -grin-

"I am convinced that one of these days I will be able to run a regular game that doesn't fall apart due to scheduling conflicts. I am also convinced that, on this day, hell will freeze over."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  01:57:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow lovers of the Realms. Ed of the Greenwood here tackles Reefy’s latest questions (with a hearty “You’re welcome,” Reefy, from us both):

Hi, Reefy. In the Dales, upland Turmish, upland Cormyr, and around Secomber folk tend to live more “in harmony with” the land than in most other places in Faerûn, so what I say here holds true (in general) for all three regions.
The average commoner views clergy of Eldath as helpful and useful: they “clean up” after everyone else, they know the edible berries and the dangerous ones (and all other woodlore, including how to best transplant or seed-harvest and then farm “wild” plants in a tended garden, and how to get along with wild forest beasts) better than almost any other handy source - - and give such information freely, without demanding service or coin or any measure of obedience in return.
As THO said: “Eldathyn (like clergy of Chauntea) are valued and revered as builders and nurturers by most folk.” In general, Faerûnians accept people for what they are: if clergy of Eldath withdraw from combat, that’s just “what they do.” Those who believe in battle and aggression may become exasperated with them in a given situation, but folk in the Realms “believe in” ALL the gods, and so understand their chosen role even if they strongly cleave to other ways and primarily follow other gods. A priest of Talos or Talona might want to destroy the same tree an Eldathyn wants to protect and nurture, and might do violence to both the Eldathyn and the tree—but if relatively sane, that priest wouldn’t despise the Eldathyn (who’d be seen more as a respected competitor or opponent than as naive).
I see little conflict between being a Harper and being an Eldathyn, because other Harpers would KNOW that an Eldathyn Harper will readily tear down walls, break doors, spring prisoners out of captivity, hide people, frustrate woodcutters and road-builders (and therefore rulers seeking to strengthen their grip on a territory), help things grow, and things of that sort, but NOT lead armies, burn down trees, poison wells or streams, and so on - - and wouldn’t expect or ask the Eldathyn Harper to do something so against their nature. Eldathyn understand natural balances (within what we might call “microsystems,” such as the life around a single small forest pond) better than almost any other clergy (clerics of Chauntea understand the same forces and factors just as well, but see a different approach - - less natural, more interventionist - - to using them, whereas an Eldathyn is a “restorative or leave alone”).
However, to answer your question directly: if asked to do something as a Harper, by a Harper, that breaks the tenets of faith, almost all Eldathyn would refuse (and the few who would agree are “stepping away from their faith” and will suffer consequences).
An Eldathyn often “fights” by opening a dam and unleashing a downstream flood, luring foes into the jaws and claws of a known predatory monster or into quicksand, and so on. Eldathyn in the Dales don’t seek to eradicate farms, but they do want farms not to expand much farther (instead, they’ll work with farmers to companion-plant and restore hedgerows and enrich farm yields in return for the farmer avoiding the use of fire in clearing land, and allowing nature to reclaim small areas). In like manner, Eldathyn want woodcutters to fell select trees, with regard for the continued healthy life cycle of the forest, and never clear-cut.
In terms of holy days, Eldathyn venerate the natural happenings of the annual cycle (at different days in different places, of course, when they actually occur): Thaw, Firstflowering, Firstfall (of snow), Lakefreeze, and the solstices. In the Dales, their most holy places are the Handtree (in the carefully-kept-trackless forest southeast of Mistledale, a huge old shadowtop tree split in its youth so that it has five spread-out trunks, cupped as if around a bowl, like huge fingers - - and in its “palm” grow many other smaller trees); Moonfire (a pool in the forest northwest of Shadowdale, where the rays of the moon lance down in a shaft on certain nights, and cause phosphorescent mosses at the bottom of the pool to glow; if harvested and kept damp, these retain a faerie fire for years); and Sweetwater (a spring that rises out of a cleft rock in the forest not far east of The Standing Stone, whose waters purge or neutralize all known poisons, diseases, and rots (including gangrene, mummy rot, and the various fungi that alter living flesh). Eldathyn also pray in every place where they find “Gifts of the Goddess” (useful herbs growing in profusion), and try to keep such locales secret so beings who understand or respect natural balances less than they do won’t overharvest and ruin such bounty.
I wish I had more time now to do a proper job of describing and detailing the rituals, holy days, and shrines of this faith (and, hey, all of the others!), but I just don’t. Sorry.
I hope these few notes have been of some help.

So saith Ed. Who is a truly nice man, as you can probably tell from that answer.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  07:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Greetings,

Ed, I have been searching through all of my Realms resources for any mention of this Briel character and especially his school, Briel's School of the Arcane in Baldur's Gate.

I am currently running a campaign in that locale and noticed his daughter is mentioned in the 2nd edition FR Adventures book, but not Briel himself.

Any information you could provide on this school which Aumvor the Undying apparently had some hand in founding (Champions of Ruin), Briel, or Brielbara would be great!

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2005 :  08:30:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Greetings,

Ed, I have been searching through all of my Realms resources for any mention of this Briel character and especially his school, Briel's School of the Arcane in Baldur's Gate.

I am currently running a campaign in that locale and noticed his daughter is mentioned in the 2nd edition FR Adventures book, but not Briel himself.

Any information you could provide on this school which Aumvor the Undying apparently had some hand in founding (Champions of Ruin), Briel, or Brielbara would be great!

Thanks.

There's a brief write-up on Briel in the Old Gray Box... specifically the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms. It ties directly with his 'Book of Shadows' description.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Herr Doktor
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  04:05:25  Show Profile  Visit Herr Doktor's Homepage Send Herr Doktor a Private Message
Thank you, I actually had run into that reference before and simply forgot it. Thanks anyway though!

I hope Ed can give an indepth response, there doesn't seem much available on this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  04:21:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello all.
To The Sage: your music question is great. Ed is deeply interested in music. His parents were both professional choristers who first met in a choir; years ago, after Ed’s mother died, his father later married another chorister, and they’re at Balliol College in Oxford right now, starting a summer “guest cathedral choir” tour, Ed’s grandmother was a radio opera singer, and Ed and his sisters sang in their youths [the usual: G & S, Bach, Handel, Respighi, and the classical religious standards - - oh, and as I recall, Ed sang Anais the High Priest in a high school production of Jesus Christ, Superstar]. Ed’s voice has risen a bit since then (he was hitting Low As, but like most basses, he’s losing his lower register and rising into baritone-hood). BTW, he tells me he was a lousy piano player.
However, before I unleash your query on him, have you read his extensive “music in the Realms” reply to The Blind Ranger on page 64 of the 04 Questions for Eddie thread?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  06:03:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello all.
To The Sage: your music question is great. Ed is deeply interested in music. His parents were both professional choristers who first met in a choir; years ago, after Ed’s mother died, his father later married another chorister, and they’re at Balliol College in Oxford right now, starting a summer “guest cathedral choir” tour, Ed’s grandmother was a radio opera singer, and Ed and his sisters sang in their youths [the usual: G & S, Bach, Handel, Respighi, and the classical religious standards - - oh, and as I recall, Ed sang Anais the High Priest in a high school production of Jesus Christ, Superstar].
I would have loved to have seen that. Somehow, I just can't quite imagine Ed in such a role... .

quote:
Ed’s voice has risen a bit since then (he was hitting Low As, but like most basses, he’s losing his lower register and rising into baritone-hood).
That's normal. It's about two octaves upwards from the second A below middle C as I recall. I'd like to hear Ed sing...

quote:
BTW, he tells me he was a lousy piano player.
Hehe... The piano is my main focus for my music. Friends and family sometimes suggest that I'd make a great tenor, thanks to my voice... but I prefer playing instruments to singing.

quote:
However, before I unleash your query on him, have you read his extensive “music in the Realms” reply to The Blind Ranger on page 64 of the 04 Questions for Eddie thread?
Indeed I have. 'Tis what originally prompted me to consider expanding on this topic for the Realms.

quote:
love,
THO

Aye. Thank you my Lady. You have my love as always .

Now I just hope neither Alaundo or Kuje grow too jealous .

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2005 :  18:28:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Part five of Spin a Yarn:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/spinayarn2004p5

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  03:14:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all scribes. Elfinblade, Ed will get to your marinating question as soon as he can, but as to your query about the sorts of trees found in the Cormanthor forest:

Hi, Stig! The forest of Cormanthor includes pines, spruces, and cedars, but is primarily deciduous hardwoods. Oak, ash, chestnut, elm, beech, maple, birch, and the Realms trees known as shadowtops, blueleafs, and duskwoods are common. Almost all other varieties of temperate wet climate trees, from ironwood to weeping willows, can be found somewhere in those vast woodlands - - which of course vary from mountain foothills to marsh in topography.

So saith Ed, whose woodchopping scenes are legendary.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  03:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, whose woodchopping scenes are legendary.
love,
THO

He better hope the Elves dont catch him!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  15:38:56  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message
Hello again ~

I just got around to reading the introduction with all the info about Candlekeep that was suggested to me earlier. Thanks for the reference, as it answered a lot of my questions. I do still have one question, though: are there any races who are unwelcome there, such as drow? Waterdeep is kown to be very tolerant, and you are likely to find any manner of people there, but you don't really see drow running around the place. Is Candlekeep much the same, in this way, as Waterdeep, or does it truly not matter what race you are?

Thanks in advance ...

Nynshari

Chaos is Life
Chaos is Creativity
Chaos is the Essence of Our Souls
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2005 :  23:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
It appears Amazon have let the Treesym out of the bag

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786939109/qid%3D1122398276/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F2%5F1/701-9508776-6887533

Coments?

The Title would suggest either a book on Religion (Although I guess it should be called Powers and Avatars) or a book on Psionics in the Realms

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 26 Jul 2005 23:32:10
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  00:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786939109/qid%3D1122398276/sr%3D1-1/ref%3Dsr%5F1%5F2%5F1/701-9508776-6887533

Coments?

The Title would suggest either a book on Religion (Although I guess it should be called Powers and Avatars) or a book on Psionics in the Realms

It's really hard to guess what is it going to be on. For me the title is way too mysterious. Personally I don't believe that WotC will release another book on deities. And a book on psionics in Faerun is rather not a thing I would be interested in (I'm just not too much into psionics). "Power of Faerun" is rather something that brings druids to my mind. Druids and the power of nature though I'm sure it is going to be something completely different.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  00:53:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Coments?

Well, it's obviously about NDA NDA NDA. Dang, I hate it when that happens.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  01:43:11  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, fellow scribes of Candlekeep. Re. that Amazon listing: I agree with George. NDAs lash and scourge me.
I like it, and so doth Ed, but at times ’TIS frustrating. Let me say this much: I’ll be surprised if it has that exact title when published (so don’t go weighting any content guesses too heavily on that title).

Now, Ed makes brief reply to The Sage:

NDAs (of course) hamper me in speaking too freely about the state of the Church of Cyric in and around Darkhold in 1373 DR, but in general, Cyricists are riven by the same internal strife that afflicts the Dark Sun himself - - but also goaded into a restless, burning desire to DO great things, lashing out against rivals and foes (the church of Bane in particular, but also clergy of Shar, Talos, and to a lesser extent just about anyone else that catches their attention).
In Darkhold in particular, there is a simmering tension and constant vicious petty intrigue (maneuvering but no open bloodshed, thanks to a pact between the Pereghost and the mysterious [and VERY seldom-seen] senior Zhentarim mage known as Hesperdan, who act together to physically hurl anyone who does give in to open violence far from the fortress: actually teleporting them to high above a rocky ridge well west of the fortress, and letting them fall). So Baneites and Cyricists within the Zhentarim still work together, albeit with silken hatred, within the walls of Darkhold and while participating in its defenses (sentinels, wall- and gate-garrisons, and patrols).
Outside the garrison and immediately-patrolled perimeter of that fortress, however, Cyricists and Baneites ARE engaged in open warfare. Not with armies (yet), but in the form of small guerilla-style strike forces (adventuring band size), who vie for control of the wells and camps and caravan stops. Certain local Harpers, meddling Chosen, rangers, and faithful of other deities (such as Malar) delight in performing small, covert acts that set the Cyricists and Baneites once more into open, bloody battle upon each other - - because the two evil faiths are lacerating each other and the Zhentarim, and turning the attention of the Black Network more and more to this internal struggle, and less and less to oppressing the lands around.
This state of affairs can’t continue, of course. Everything’s escalating. The leader of the Cyricist faction the Pereghost is part of remains mysterious (it’s not Dag Zoreth, but rather someone “behind and above” him. It’s clear to Elminster that Hesperdan and Manshoon (the one “subservient” to Fzoul) intend to exploit the holy war for their own gain, when it erupts - - and Elminster’s coins are on the Baneites, not the Cyricists, whom he decries as “vicious first, far-sighted planners second, whereas the senior Zhent faithful of Bane are schemers first, and vicious second.”

So saith Ed. Who as you can see, couldn’t say much.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
While I'm sure those evil NDAs prevent any current info, would it be possible to get some history on the city of Dolblunde? Maybe it's size (both in terms of population and area) at it's height. Or maybe the type of government, or who they traded with. Whatever, just something? Please?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:15:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Now, Ed makes brief reply to The Sage:
Thank you again my Lady . Pass along my personal thanks to Ed as well.

quote:
NDAs (of course) hamper me in speaking too freely about the state of the Church of Cyric in and around Darkhold in 1373 DR...
Indeed, 'tis as I suspected. But you've provided me with a nice enough snippet that I can use to shape a portion of my upcoming campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  02:32:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I think Ive seen a way to get around those pesky NDA

I saw it on an Episode of Without a Trace

One of the FBI guys was interviewing the Psychologist of some one they where looking for and they where trying to find out what his medical history was. The Psycologist said this infomation was covered under patient/Doctor confidentality and he could answer.

So the FBI guy figures out that it only covers stuff that is true and there would be nothing to stop the Pyschologist from correcting something the FBI guy if he was on the wrong track.

So in that spirit

1)Ed is Power of Faerun a book on psionics in the realms?

2)Ed is Power of Faerun a book on FR religion?

The other option is we just shoot all the Lawyers (George will just have to "take one for the Team", Im sure he'll understand!)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  03:24:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

The other option is we just shoot all the Lawyers (George will just have to "take one for the Team", Im sure he'll understand!)

While I don't have a problem with the first part of the sentence*, George is a nice guy who knows his stuff. Can't we spare him?

*No offense, of course.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  03:26:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
So today I was looking thru a pdf of the manual to the first Baldur's Gate game -- specifically, the Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate section of it.

One particular line caught my attention. In the discussion of power groups, under the Harpers entry, I found this sentence (boldfacing is mine):

quote:
Their aim is to keep the dangers to civilization at bay, including goblin raids, dragon flights, and the insidious control of other groups such as the Zhentarim, Red Wizards, the Commer, or the Cult of the Dragon.

So, who are the Commer? Am I having a brainfart, or was this just something made up for that game?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  03:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

While I don't have a problem with the first part of the sentence*, George is a nice guy who knows his stuff. Can't we spare him?

*No offense, of course.

Only if he renounces which ever Arch Devil he sold his soul to when he first became a Lawyer!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  04:17:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Belial is NOT going to be happy. In fact, given his weapon of choice, I may end up .... forked. Usually it's the lawyers who do the forking ... Oh, and non-disclosure is different from patent/doctor or client/attorney privilege. Sorry guys.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  05:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh, and non-disclosure is different from patent/doctor or client/attorney privilege. Sorry guys.

-- George Krashos

Then we'll have to go with plan B

*Goes to get his +5 Anarchic, Holy, Devil Bane Repeating Heavy Cross bow of speed!!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Myssa Rei
Acolyte

Philippines
22 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2005 :  05:41:29  Show Profile  Visit Myssa Rei's Homepage Send Myssa Rei a Private Message
Good day everyone. :) There's something that's been bothering me for a few days, and I hope that the esteemed Mr. Greenwood or THO could help clear things up for me. :)

What I've been wondering is... While a lot of mortals had risen to divinity -- and ignoring the ascension of people like Cyric, Midnight, and Kelemvor, since they took over major portfolios -- do they immediately become 'true' demigods? Or do start out as 'hero-deities', much like as all those quasideities wandering around in Greyhawk, and gained power only later as their worship grew?

Sorry for the trouble, but this inquiry came about after a short argument I had with my DM on Torm, and the possible explanations on how he became a deity in the first place.

Never underestimate the power of a good story.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000