Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:17:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

P.S. Ed says there's movement on the Castlemorn front (but he can add NOTHING more, yet).
I appreciate this little tidbit THO. I was just considering whether or not I should ask Ed about what was happening with CASTLEMORN.

Please send along my thanks .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 03:18:21
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:29:19  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Daggerford is the initial setting for my conversion of the new Dungeon magazine adventure path entitled the "Age of Worms." See the web enhancement on the Paizo site for Dungeon #124 and #125 (available soon).

Note, t's not canon per se, but a "one-off", but it does deal with Daggerford.

--Eric

Thank you for posting that. I didn't even know Paizo had web enhancements available. The one to which you refer may not be "canon," but I suspect that in the coming few years we shall hear more about Jergal's supposed millenniums-old plan! I hope that you and the other game designers will keep us abreast of what products we should especially watch for vìs-a-vís Jergal's supposed schemes.

This brings to mind a question which was asked on the Wiz boards a while back, but which I don't think was ever raised here on Ed's scroll: what the heck species does Jergal represent, anyway? I know that thri-kreen are one of the oldest "alien" races in D&D and related products, and someone suggested that he was a thri-kreen lich who has ruled over death and endings on Toril since before the human species arose. I suggested that he may be an elder god who has assured his continued survival by being flexible enough to let would-be usurpers have his portfolio and then stepping in when they "die," but I'm not convinced of that. Dear Ed, what is Jergal? Inquiring fans want to know!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:34:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
As some at Candlekeep already know, I'm a classically trained musician with a passion for baroque music. As such, I have a question for Ed... which relates not only to my personal interests, but also to a project I'm working on for Candlekeep.

Although it is a mundane topic, I find music in fantasy settings to be an extremely rewarding topic to read about. There's been detailings on the music at play in the Realms through the years, however I'm now looking for something extra.

So, what can you tell me about the state of music in the Realms? Whether it be a common bard's song sung in the taverns of Luskan, or a seven-hour long opera about King Azoun's last days in the Royal Court of Cormyr... music touches the lives of all who live in the Realms.

I of course know of the few Dragon articles dedicated to the topic (which you've written in the past), so I've already put those aside for research. I recall the discussion of musical instruments in both the original and 2e boxed sets, as well as the FRCS. And I know also of the instruments and musical works that have been mentioned in some of the novels.

I have all that. What I'm looking for, is how you would visualise the musical scene in some of the more "cultured" regions of the Realms -- for example Sembia, Waterdeep... and perhaps even Thay. What's popular among the upper classes, the middle classes, and the low classes? Have you expanded on the core instruments that we know are already used widely in the Realms.

I realise this is a fairly heavy topic to discuss, so I can appreciate the fact that Ed may have to take his time with this. As always, my thanks to both yourself and the Lady Hooded One .

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jul 2005 03:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  03:50:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Query: Why is it the Ed replies to recent questions when some questions remain unanswered for months? IIRC there are still some unanswered for 04. IAE an NDA could (if ture) at least close for now many pending questions. i can understand some intricate questions/disputes being of greater interest and already answered questions being ignored (odds are good a scribe will provide a pointer to such answe). Some questions out there unanswered appear to be boring basic questions, others certainly could require a more detailed answer that might have to deal with NDA.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:34:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Query: Why is it the Ed replies to recent questions when some questions remain unanswered for months? IIRC there are still some unanswered for 04. IAE an NDA could (if ture) at least close for now many pending questions. i can understand some intricate questions/disputes being of greater interest and already answered questions being ignored (odds are good a scribe will provide a pointer to such answe). Some questions out there unanswered appear to be boring basic questions, others certainly could require a more detailed answer that might have to deal with NDA.

A lot of it is time... Some questions he can answer off the top of his head and/or on the fly, but other questions, he's got to wade into the dark depths where many of us would like to go: his basement full of Realmslore.

Really, it's like any question asked here. If someone knows the answer readily -- either because they know the subject well or because they were just the other day reading about it, then the question is answered quickly. If people have to look up the answer, it takes longer.

Ed's got a lot more on his plate than the next three of us put together, I think. And if he does find a moment or two to research something, he doesn't have just a few books to flip thru, as we do: he's got boxes and boxes of notes.

He has been pretty good about answering questions. As often as not, I see an answer to a months-old question that I forgot about.

We all want our answers... But I'm content to let the Master weave lore as he will.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Has Ed made plans to conserve his collection of notes and his personal papers for posterity?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:56:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Has Ed made plans to conserve his collection of notes and his personal papers for posterity?

I believe Kuje and the Candlekeep staff are already handling that ...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  04:57:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I am. :) 04 has been completed for awhile, and Alaundo has some of 05's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Kewl. Does that include letters and laundry lists and all of the other things scholars will want to examine in the coming centuries so that they may analyze Ed and his contribution to American lit and world culture?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:15:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

In fact, Kuje just updated his '05 file with Ed's replies from the previous week.

Check it out!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  05:23:50  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kewl. Does that include letters and laundry lists and all of the other things scholars will want to examine in the coming centuries so that they may analyze Ed and his contribution to American lit and world culture?

Nope, just Ed's and THO's and other's replies. My word .doc is in my sig, but Alaundo and I have also made them into PDF's and HTML's. As I said, 04's is done and he has some of my 05 HTML's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  10:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Nope, just Ed's and THO's and other's replies. My word .doc is in my sig, but Alaundo and I have also made them into PDF's and HTML's. As I said, 04's is done and he has some of my 05 HTML's.

Well met

Indeed, these collated works can be found on the So Saith Ed page, located in the Bard's Rumors section of Alaundo's Library.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Rain
Acolyte

Denmark
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  13:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Rain's Homepage Send Rain a Private Message
Thank you, I will check out Realmspace, and i know Ed has a great deal of other stuff to get to first so i will wait Patiently :)

Outside. I moved through the smog resolutely.
My eyes were Blue and my shoes were Old and nobody loved me.
But I had things to do.
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:

First, to Si: yes, please repost Ed’s Red Sashes and Waterdeep replies in this thread. Ed informs me that the already-posted Prologue of CITY OF SPLENDORS is set back at the time of the Threat From The Sea, but the rest of the book is current Realms time, jumping from group of characters to group of characters, but never “back and forth” in time.

Forgive me if I sound a little breathy as I attempt to emulate the Lady THO just this once, I'll post the questions first, in the order Ed answered them, and then post the answers afterward. OK?

My question;
What about the Red sashes? Do most people know they exist or are they a vague rumour (except among the professional peace keepers of Waterdeep) I know Durnan is their leader, but is he also their creator or have they been around for a long time in various guises? Presumably Piergeiron doesn't know, or at least isn't able to prove that they are supported by a faction of the lords. So are they hated and feared by everybody or are they regarded as a useful adjunct by the Watch, and despised only by those who have reason to worry about them. Also how proactive are they, are they a mainly intelligence gathering operation or is there a real possibility they might land on you in a dark alley one night-if your line of work takes you into dark alleys

Original question By Jurgen Hubert;
It has been stated that the authorities in Waterdeep know about the existence of Skullport, but choose to do nothing about it beyond observing it because the situation there is at least a bit contained.

But what do the city authorities do when some breathless adventurers show
up on their doorstep and tell them: "There's a big community of SMUGGLERS, SLAVE TRADERS, and INHUMAN MONSTERS under Waterdeep! Quick, you need to do SOMETHING!"

Replying: "Nah, we can't be arsed today." doesn't sound all that good. And when the adventurers actually show up with proof (such as rescued slaves) and tell everyone else about it if the city authorities seem disinclined, it might lead to unrest among the population...

What are your thoughts on this?

Ed's words of wisdom to follow

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Things I Should Have Learnt by Now
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
and Ed comes back with....

I don't want to say too much about Waterdeep and harm any of the surprises Eric has included in his superb (but woefully shortened) Waterdeep book, but yes, most Waterdhavians know the Red Sashes exist, and credit them for keeping Dock Ward from becoming a constant lawless brawl. Durnan is their creator (he founded them in 1311 DR), and Piergeiron "doesn't want to know" the exact membership of the Red Sashes, because although he mistrusts vigilantes, he's assured by many of his fellow Lords (and by his trusted bodyguard mage, Tarthus, whom you'll see briefly in the CITY OFSPLENDORS novel Elaine and I wrote) that they do act "for good" in Waterdeep, employing methods that the Watch and Guard cannot, but that "they'll certainly be curbed sharply if ever they go too far."
Piergeiron long ago had to accept and tolerate the huge variety of value systems, beliefs, alignments, approaches to life, and morals that everyone crowding into the walls of bustling Waterdeep holds, and make his personal peace with "living and working with" individuals he might personally find abhorrent, for the greater good of Waterdeep. The Red Sashes get results, often delivering into the hands of authority criminals his uniformed, disciplined lawkeepers can't find. Moreover, they don't seem to cause any great problems in doing so - - so he's content to not hunt them down and root them out, but rather accept the help they provide, from time to time asking certain Lords (Mirt and Durnan) for reassurance that "You’re keeping an eye on those Red Sash fellows, aren't you? We don't need any new thieves' guilds in the Deep,
know you!"
Whereupon they always gruffly and solemnly assure him they watch the Red Sashers "like hawks, not that they need it," and Piergeiron nods and passes on to other matters. The Red Sash is regarded as exciting entertainment by most law-abiding Waterdhavians, and very much a Good Thing; they're not feared or despised. They do spend more time gathering intelligence and (through off-duty Watch members they pass such information to, in taverns - - posing as Waterdhavians in their cups and making sure the Watch stalwart overhears, NOT parading about as masked and muttering Red Sash agents)making sure the Watch gets tipped off about "the daily sort" of criminal plans, rumours and facts about who did what theft or is planning which other swindle,than they do pouncing on anyone.
The Red Sashers save their pouncings for "big stuff"(slavers; attempts on the part of thieves to act in large gangs; the regrettable tendency for evil-aligned priesthoods to not only hold worship services in hidden temples established in cellars and buildings purporting to have other purposes all over the city, but also to form gangs of worshippers to do evil or illicit things in Waterdeep; those who like to smuggle in monsters to sell or stage beast-fights for betting purposes, or as "hit-beasts" to threaten targets or
slay foes . . . and so on).
So, yes, they might pounce in you in a dark alley, but not if you're avoiding participation in these "bigger” bad things. Otherwise, they'll just watch you, and whisper some things about your deeds (where you go, whom you meet, and what you're carrying or doing) to the Watch. Only if you arouse their suspicions, that is: remember that literally thousands of Waterdhavians scuttle down dark alleys every night, some of them hurrying just because they’re afraid of what might happen to them there.

Now, as for Skullport: I doubt Waterdhavians would ever go into unrest over the mere existence of Skullport; I can only see unrest occurring if nightly raids on the city that clearly came from Skullport(such as by bands of Drow or other "known to be of the
Underdark" creatures, coupled with the inevitable lurid rumours) began and went on for days without any response from the authorities.
The existence of Skullport is common knowledge in Waterdeep, and has been for years.
So have the publicly-given reasons for the Lords of Waterdeep tolerating its presence: it enriches Waterdeep greatly, making possible all the wealth and great selection of wares and bustling progress that “advances us all," and it neatly provides a place for dangerous beings (wizards and drow and illithids and the like) to trade in valuable and sometimes dangerous
goods, and "keep all that away from all of us who never have any reason to venture down there." In other words, you as a citizen or resident of Waterdeep enjoy
great prosperity and safety that you would not, if Skullport didn't exist. Among all the lurid legends and tall tales of goings-on in Skullport are tales "planted" as reassurance, such as: "And if anything ever gets out of hand in Skullport, the Blackstaff has all sorts of spells 'hanging ready' to take care of it all: invaders from there will get blasted to dust! In the
meantime, he and Laeral take their apprentices down there for training, and Watchful Order magists, too, so they can blast a few monsters and remind everyone not to try anything with Waterdeep, or - - blam!"
So if adventurers did "tell everyone else about it “they’d probably get responses of: "Uh-huh. 'Sware the bad folk trade, and go, and they deserve whatever befalls them. Glad the Lords keep it all out of OUR hair, anyroads!"
Ed

Awed silence

'Only the little people suffer at the hands of Justice; The creatures of power slide out from under with a wink and a grin.'
Quellcrist Falconer
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  20:31:58  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi,

A quick question for Ed, at the current time (~1372) what is the status of the town of Llorkh ? Still some ruins? Or the Zhents have done something about it? (maybe the the deal between Fzoul and Khelben prevent it?)

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message
Greetings, all ~

I know I've already got some pending questions, and please pardon me Ed from piling yet more onto your already-heaping plate, but I dhave a small (or not so small ?) question about Candlekeep (in the Realms, that is )

I don't have any material earlier than 3E at this time, so I was wondering if you could give a brief description of the place and how it functions on a day to day basis. How many visitors usually visit/make use of the place? How and when is one required to pay the 1,000gpand one new book fee? Are certain tomes/subjects restricted depending on race, occupation, age, etc? And, most importantly (to me, at least), is admittance to Candlekeep restricted in any way - particularly along race-lines? (For example, could a drow or a shadovar gain admittance to the library?)

Thank you in advance for any information that you can send my way, as I know you are horrendously busy right now

Nynshari

Chaos is Life
Chaos is Creativity
Chaos is the Essence of Our Souls
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  21:38:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nynshari

Greetings, all ~

I know I've already got some pending questions, and please pardon me Ed from piling yet more onto your already-heaping plate, but I dhave a small (or not so small ?) question about Candlekeep (in the Realms, that is )

I don't have any material earlier than 3E at this time, so I was wondering if you could give a brief description of the place and how it functions on a day to day basis. How many visitors usually visit/make use of the place? How and when is one required to pay the 1,000gpand one new book fee? Are certain tomes/subjects restricted depending on race, occupation, age, etc? And, most importantly (to me, at least), is admittance to Candlekeep restricted in any way - particularly along race-lines? (For example, could a drow or a shadovar gain admittance to the library?)

Thank you in advance for any information that you can send my way, as I know you are horrendously busy right now

Many questions about Candlekeep can be answered by reading Ed's article An Introduction to Candlekeep, located on (and I believe written for) this very site.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jul 2005 21:39:12
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  00:09:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all! Thanks, Si! (You make a very nice "me" . ) Nynshari, Wooly hath steered you rightly: Ed did write the Candlekeep intro specifically for this site, but it does answer your questions about fees, who can enter, and so on. Read it through, and if it falls short of answering any of your queries, rush right back and post the unaddressed ones, and I’ll send them on to Ed.
Who continues his Purple Lady reply to Kuje:

The Purple Lady was founded by Anhala Dreith (“Ann-HAL-ah DREE-thhh”) a short, fat, dumpy, wrinkled, wart-covered Tashalan woman of middling years who painstakingly saved the coppers she made from cleaning grand houses in Westgate, starving herself and living in the most squalid (cheapest) rental rooms, until she had enough for a grand house. She “knew” the way to riches was to sell strong drink and sex, and was a good-natured, hardworking, stubborn sort who figured she could get pleasure-girls by paying them fairly and giving them good food and a good place to stay. She was right, and by the time she died (about a dozen years ago) had built the Purple Lady into a mainstay local fixture.
The key to that was getting Onstable Tarth and Ilimar Jathakh, two wanting-to-retire-from-crime “entrepreneurs” of the city to be her first two cooks. They’re both dead (of old age, like Anhala) now, too, but they gave the Lady its name, its gimmick (the purple robes worn by the hostess and all the “ladies of the House”), and protection from other criminals of Westgate who would otherwise undoubtedly have squeezed Anhala for protection-coin. The story around the Lady is that Onstable lusted after a tavern dancer in his pimply youth who was tall, long-legged, elegant, and wore vivid purple cowled cloaks and gowns - - and was “bringing his dreams to life” with the name and look he established for the festhall.

Today, the Purple Lady is owned jointly by the chief cook and the senior “Lady of the House.”
The chief cook is the mountainously fat and strong “Boar” (Undral) Lauram, a hairy, amiable man who’s usually covered in food and sweat. He’s a superb seasoner and a kindly master, so his staff is loyal. They view him as their best friend, and his co-proprietor (whom he refers to as “THE Lady” or “the “proprietress”) with reverent respect.
The Lady of the House is Ambra Indreth, formerly a personal chambermaid to a Cormaeril aunt. Trained in full etiquette and inured to most pain thanks to her (now dead, of a winterchill fever) former employer’s cruelties (jabbing with hatpins and floggings with her walking-sticks), this tall, slender, long-legged, tawny-skinned Damaran is blessed with strikingly vivid emerald eyes and dark lashes, long jet-black hair, and a mouth that’s been described as “kissable.” She enjoys sex and doesn’t mind being bound or whipped, though she’s starting to scar and stiffen now, and prefers to take a less and less active role in the pleasures of the house, instead cultivating friendships and spending increasing amounts of time with older men who just want attention, backrubs, the chance to idly caress bared flesh, and a good listener while they ramble. She serves them tea or cordials or whatever they like to drink, and obliges them.
Ambra is utterly fearless, and so CAN’T be intimidated. She’s fatalistic (we all die someday, perhaps this is my day) and won’t give in to threats. She now has such a wide network of “men who owe her something” that she can swiftly assemble protection for the Purple Lady or herself or any of her staff, and even strike forces to eliminate foes.
Ambra and the Boar have been lovers, and when she wants comforting, or he wants sex, they still meet in the cellars.

So saith Ed. Last bit tomorrow, Kuje!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nynshari
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Nynshari's Homepage Send Nynshari a Private Message
Many thanks, Wooly and THO - I'll check it out. Hopefully, it will answer all I need and I won't have to bother y'all again

Nynshari

Chaos is Life
Chaos is Creativity
Chaos is the Essence of Our Souls
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:06:31  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, scribes! This just in:
Well-heeled fans of the late Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber fantasy series should check out the last issue of AMBERZINE (actually a monster 500-plus-pages combined issues 12-15, and quite pricey, I understand; from Phage Press, in Detroit).
There’s a story in it by Ed Greenwood, entitled “A Secret of Amber.”
Or rather (and this is the “secret” Ed’s been sitting on, all these years), it’s a short unfinished fragment of an Amber story, with alternate paragraphs written by Ed and by Roger Zelazny himself, on bookmarks Ed put in various Amber books he brought to RZ to have signed, at various sf conventions.
I’ve read it, and I’ve got to say Ed does great Roger . . . and Roger does great Ed.
:}
Ah, if RZ was still alive . . .
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
$50, and only 1000 copies will be printed.

http://www.phagepress.com/AZ12.shtml

Damn budget...grrrr. I'd love to read this. Sounds like a great story!

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  15:20:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
The thousand-copy limit is Erick Wujcik's original agreement with Roger, honoured beyond death (of Roger, not Erick, she added hastily). I want to emphasize that it's a very short, unfinished story. I find it a fascinating example of two talented writers expanding a tale from a tiny nugget, but it IS expensive (unless, of course, you love Amber, and enjoy all the other tales crammed into the mag).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Jul 2005 15:22:32
Go to Top of Page

Si
Acolyte

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Si's Homepage Send Si a Private Message
quote:

Hello again, all! Thanks, Si! (You make a very nice "me" . )

The heels helped me get into character .
I've just read Ed's web enhancement on the Waterdeep watch, questions will be forthcoming once I've had a chance to digest the whole series I'm sure. A subject close to my heart ever since the Watch novels of Terry Pratchett started coming out.

Quellcrist Falconer
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:35:42  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Hail and well met, Ed and THO!

I have a question about "watchlords" in Waterdeep inspired by a need to "know my watch" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050720a). Is there an overlap between their ranks and the Hidden Lords, or are they kept separate?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  17:50:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

I have a question about "watchlords" in Waterdeep inspired by a need to "know my watch" (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20050720a). Is there an overlap between their ranks and the Hidden Lords, or are they kept separate?

The Lords of Waterdeep are a separate group. While it is possible for a Watchman to be a Hidden Lord, it's not a position that can be earned solely by moving up the ranks.

To use a US analogy, it's possible for a General to become President of the United States. Eisenhower, for one, did it. However, the positions are not related, and many presidents have never served in the military. But they still get to boss around those Generals...

I don't know if any of the current named Lords have served in the Watch...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 20 Jul 2005 17:52:27
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  21:49:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message
Hi,

I have one for Ed about Waterdeep's laws, how drogue use/sale/production is dealed by the autorities ?
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2005 :  22:00:51  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The Lords of Waterdeep are a separate group. While it is possible for a Watchman to be a Hidden Lord, it's not a position that can be earned solely by moving up the ranks.

To use a US analogy, it's possible for a General to become President of the United States. Eisenhower, for one, did it. However, the positions are not related, and many presidents have never served in the military. But they still get to boss around those Generals...

I don't know if any of the current named Lords have served in the Watch...

I might have honed my question better. Some societies want police and military officers in their governments; others are afraid of concentrating too much power in their hands. I'm curious to know if Waterdeep, a merchant state with a strong military, deliberately excludes Watchlords from the Hidden Lords, or tries to have a representative one among them, since they are appointed by the Open Lord? Cormyr's government is feudal and soldiers are always a part of the government. Sembia, I would imagine, wants as few military types as possible in a position of power, but Waterdeep isn't Sembia or Cormyr; it has a landed nobility and "merchant princes," so its unwritten consititution might go either way, or it might change with the times. The Hidden Lords are supposed to be a representative cross-section of the City, but some may want to exclude that particular section for fear of a coup or corruption.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  00:42:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Herewith, Ed concludes his reply to Kuje:

The Boar presides over the kitchen staff (stolid middle-aged women with names like Reldra and Immra, and darting-fast, ratlike young men rescued from the streets, with names like Orlarrin and Jelst) and the servers (mainly retired bodyguards and hireswords, with names like “Red” and Lorgel, Juth and Morryk, and a surprising range of talents for plumbing and painting and carpentry).
The two hostesses and two doorlars (if illness or injury reduces their numbers, an upstairs lady helps out as hostess, and a server steps in as doorlar) report to Ambra.
The hostesses are tall, dark, exotic-looking Jemlarra (from Nimbral), who’s a superb mimic and actress and likes to wear gowns side-leg-slit all the way up to her waist; and Dautha (of Westgate, a honey-huksy-voiced “bright young thing” with blonde hair, ample curves, and a false but superbly-done “innocent” manner; she often “inadvertently” shows flesh, with a completely straight, earnest face).
The senior doorlar is Jharak (“Old Jhaer”), a long-nosed, narrow-chinned, bearded man who chuckles a lot and looks rather piratical. He’s a grumbler, but loves jokes and making people laugh, and is very popular among the “family” of staff at the Lady. The junior doorlar is the glib-tongued, smoothly self-controlled, young and handsome Vreldur, from Sembia, who’s continually chided by Ambra for his willingness to kiss and grope matronly diners who express an interest in him (Old Jhaer they joke with, but Vreldur they WANT). He may yet be dismissed - - or may become the only upstairs “Lord of the House” in the Purple Lady.
The sixteen Ladies of the House are a wide mixture of human (with one half-elf) women of all shapes and sizes. All enjoy sex, all have wardrobes and training that allow them to act with elegance in formal situations, and all of them love Ambra and try to get along like sisters with each other, regarding her more or less as their mother. Four of them are relatively inexperienced, and Ambra is “gentling” them into full roles.
The most beautiful among the Ladies is the tall, sleek, demure Nathelle, but the most popular is the wildest and most acrobatic, a muscular, young-looking, nipple-pierced and buttock-branded (left cheek, with a leaping dolphin) “nimble nymph” by the name of Lalurra (nickname among the staff only: “Lure-lass”). The sharp-tongued Narauntha can take the most abuse (pain, restraint, and endurance-testing activities) of all the Ladies, and is the busiest. Sharmra looks like a high-class lady, and can act the part, and has two loyal followings of clients: those who want to treat her as a high-class lady, and those who want to play at humiliating her as one.
Two of the Ladies look very much alike, and are sometimes requested by clients as “the Twins.” Both are lush-figured (and the same clothing size), short, bouncy brunettes who can adopt a “oh yes” eager manner in an instant, or plead for mercy “because they’ve been bad.” Their names are Maleira and Harbrenla.

So saith Ed, who figures he’s given you enough to spin a series of short stories.
Enjoy!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  01:03:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
YAY,

Now THO can make it up to me, for the splitting it into 4 parts, by getting Ed to post those Loviatar ceremonies. Yes, I know, I know. He won't do it. BAH! :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000