Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  01:35:28  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
LOL I have never heard the Realms compared to Corrie

For our non UK members Coronation Street is a TV soap, and it doesn't feature any wizards, or priests, or orcs, (well some of the cast look like orcs )

THO - didn't know Corrie made it to Canada!!

Cheers

Damian
gotta be the best quote EVER - think I'll knick it for my signature line

So saith Ed. I’ve never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he’s running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too . . .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

[/quote]

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  02:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

LOL I have never heard the Realms compared to Corrie

For our non UK members Coronation Street is a TV soap, and it doesn't feature any wizards, or priests, or orcs, (well some of the cast look like orcs )

THO - didn't know Corrie made it to Canada!!

Now is that very surprising? After all, Canada is part of the Commonwealth, just like Australia is (and we get it too, though I can't recall if it's on a free to air channel, it's definitely on UKTV on Cable last time I checked).

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  13:34:17  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
My good lady (Liz) is running her first game soon, based in Cormyr with Helm's church making a re-emergence after the Cormyte perceived debacle of the ToT (circa 1372DR)

Questions are:
1) Festival dates of Helm
2) what are they called
3) what is the focus of the events

any help most appreciated

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  01:41:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed of the Greenwood replies to thom’s amended query: “In Delzimmer the 4 noble families mysteriously work together. But, how would it work in a town (Nathlekh in my campaign for example) where the families don't trust each other, and one of the families secretly worships Bane and plans to become the Tyrants of Nathlekh? Is it reasonable to think the 4 houses would only trust ONE house with overall town defense? Tax collection? Day-to-day administration? I could see where fines and labor would be used commonly to handle crimes and ensure a labor pool for "dirty work" around the town ;). I guess if you could give a few realms pointers as to how *you* would set this up - given this specific situation I'd appreciate it!”
Ed replies:

No, it wouldn’t be ‘the Realms way’ for families to trust each other, or for any institution to ‘play musical chairs’ with all of its civic officials every two years (when mysterious knifings and poisonings just before each ‘switchover’ could disrupt the process so easily).
The Realms norm would be to hire and/or train professionals to handle town defense and practical work (such as road and wall repairs), and to oversee these officials with members of the various families in a check-and-balance manner (family A runs the dungeons, so family B runs the Watch, and family C oversees the courts with members of families A and B sitting among the judges . . . and so on). Yes, this makes for constant tension and intrigue and mistrust. And yes, this maximizes roleplaying opportunities. :}
I’d say the four ruling families would have passed laws that give their members special privileges (e.g. we can have bodyguards of more than two armed men, and ‘staff wizards,’ and no one else can), and that they’d have worked out ways of sharing administration over the day-to-day work, and the important justice and law enforcement, so whomever is ‘the First’ currently DOESN’T directrly control justice or law enforcement (so they can act as a check on the First doing whatever crazy things they please). Of COURSE a family intending to become absolute Tyrants would be working to subvert this, but the other three families would always be watching them and each other, constantly and vigilantly, and wanting to recruit (or frame as scapegoats) visiting PC adventurers and anyone else coming to town who might shift the current balance of power.
I’d like to say more, but my latest NDA, for something secret I’m working on right now, prevents it. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Hmmm, that last sentence is (sigh) interesting. As I find myself saying all too often (Ed does respect his NDAs, guys, which means he certainly won’t tell me what that line refers to.)
Damian, Coronation Street has been running (on CBC, which is our equivalent of BBC1) for as long as it’s been running in the UK, only on a 6-month delay.
I’ll send your request to Ed, but the poor man is SO snowed under right now that he might not get to it until early June!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  01:51:36  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I am just in awe of the amount of time Ed (and our esteemed THO) spend answering the questions of we humble scribes, so dear THO give Ed our thanks.

I was wondering about the Tabaxi that work at the Velvet Veil in Ashabenford. I have changed them to catfolk in my campaign, but I was wondering if there were any tribe of tabaxi/catfolk in the area, perhaps in the Beastlands, or even wandering in the woods north of Ashabenford proper?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  01:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
WOTC (or rather Amazon) have released the box art for the Underdark series of D&D minis

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0786935227.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I think Ed just MIGHT recognise the guy on the right

Underdark is being touted as having more FR minis in it than any other set (Archfiends had around 15)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  02:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
Greetings to Ed of the Greenwood. Thanks for all your time and answers.

As much as I would love to expand this question to include all deities of the realms, I’ll limit myself to just a few specifics.

Which deities of the Realms keep crypts for the dead? Specifically, I would like to know about:

Chauntea (I imagine not; I’m thinking more towards being cremated)
Helm
Lathander
Lliira
Selune
Sharess
Tempus
and Tymora

As I understand it, a cleric of Kelemvor would tend to the common person in most cases. (actually, do Kelemvor’s clerics keep crypts?) However, as far as the clerics and faithful of the above deities are concerned, do they have specific rituals as to what happens to the bodies? Again, I realize that giving us full rituals will probably not happen, but a quick and dirty version (ex. Clerics of Sharess mummify their dead) would be great.

Again, thanks for your time.

~Jindael

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  14:37:46  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
re corrie - it does - great, how lucky you are.....

thank you Good lady. I have told my Good Lady to make it up! coz we can always backfill Ed's response at a later date as a schism in the Helm Church, or maybe a enthusiastic priest attempting to generate some positive PR by holding impromptu festivals for the locals etc or because it is really a Banite/Beshaban/Talonite priest undercover trying to discredit the Helm Church by breaking doctrine etc

Cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
[
Damian, Coronation Street has been running (on CBC, which is our equivalent of BBC1) for as long as it’s been running in the UK, only on a 6-month delay.
I’ll send your request to Ed, but the poor man is SO snowed under right now that he might not get to it until early June!
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  18:47:00  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

I knew winter comes early in Canada, but this early?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  01:53:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I come bearing Ed’s reply to The Sage,
specifically to this: “We know that from some of your previous postings at other locations online, the Lowlantern Lutes were "last seen busily fleecing rich Sembians." You also stated that they "presumably are still at it." I was just curious as to whether they've been encountered by the Knights of Myth Drannor (or anyone else) in your home 'Realms' campaign since?”
Ed speaks:

No, they haven’t - - at least, so far as the Knights know. However (secret revealed here) the Lutes have taken to wearing spellspun disguises for long periods, impersonating others (or assuming their own invented identities) as they practise their shady dealings. So the Knights may very well have run into one or other of the Lutes without realizing it.
The Lutes aren’t doing this for idle self-entertainment or to deceive the Knights, of course. They’re doing it because fleeced Sembians quite often have both the anger and the resources to get back at those who’ve done them dirty, and the Lutes want to keep on successfully fleecing and continue to stay alive, too, if you catch my meaning . . .

So saith Ed. Ah, yes, those dear, dear Lutes. How I’d love to see some of them again, in just the right circumstances, of course . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arthedain
Acolyte

16 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  15:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Arthedain's Homepage Send Arthedain a Private Message
Greetings to Ed, Lady Hooded, and all fellow scribes.

A (dark) question from northern Norway on this sunny day.

Do Faerûn have stories / legends about "The Grim Reaper"? Or specifically, a hooded, skeletal man with a scythe? Of all the gods of death, Jergal is the one that (to me at least) has the most similarities with regards to outlook, and I noticed that Powers and Pantheons mentions the great white-bearded vultures known as N'asr's Children as one example of harbringers of death, but no others where mentioned.

In my campaign I recently used a monster from Libris Mortis, an Entropic Reaver, and was thinking about spinning some further tales around this creature (it looks like the good old Reaper; http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84751.jpg). My campaign is primarily centered around Shadowdale, Daggerdale and Voonlar, and I'm curious if the people there have stories about harbringers of death that have a similar appearance.

Many thanks in advance, and a good day to you all :).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  17:29:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arthedain

Greetings to Ed, Lady Hooded, and all fellow scribes.

A (dark) question from northern Norway on this sunny day.

Do Faerûn have stories / legends about "The Grim Reaper"? Or specifically, a hooded, skeletal man with a scythe? Of all the gods of death, Jergal is the one that (to me at least) has the most similarities with regards to outlook, and I noticed that Powers and Pantheons mentions the great white-bearded vultures known as N'asr's Children as one example of harbringers of death, but no others where mentioned.

In my campaign I recently used a monster from Libris Mortis, an Entropic Reaver, and was thinking about spinning some further tales around this creature (it looks like the good old Reaper; http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84751.jpg). My campaign is primarily centered around Shadowdale, Daggerdale and Voonlar, and I'm curious if the people there have stories about harbringers of death that have a similar appearance.

Many thanks in advance, and a good day to you all :).

I seem to recall that reaper-like beings called either "deaths" or "minor deaths" do exist in the Realms. One of the gambling houses in Waterdeep has a problem with the fact that a death card somehow keeps winding up in regular decks, and the person who draws it winds up having to battle one of those reaper-like critters.

It's mentioned in Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, but I'm away from my books for the moment, so I can't offer anything more specific.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  20:44:06  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
It would be so much fun if FR had a personified DEATH like the one in discworld, who SPEAKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  22:49:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ah, here it is. The place I spoke of is in the North Ward, and it's called the Gentle Mermaid.

When the death card is drawn, a cowled spectral figure with a scythe pops out. It attacks whoever drew the card, but disappears if hit by a spell. It says the powers of the Hooded Death vary, but it seems to be a wraith with a scythe.

Lady Hooded One, did you or the Knights ever encounter this card, or the magical chessmen also found at the Gentle Mermaid?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  01:03:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It would be so much fun if FR had a personified DEATH like the one in discworld, who SPEAKS IN CAPITAL LETTERS.

Whose to say there isn't .

Recall this quote from Moving Pictures... "THERE'S JUST ME, said Death. THE FINAL FRONTIER."

Kelemvor's master perhaps...?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  02:06:04  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Divers ‘little’ replies from Ed this time (his housekeeping, as it were):

Thanks for reminding everyone, kuje31: yes, there’s still longevity magic in the Realms. Rules changes don’t alter established lore. Even if your PCs can’t find or get potions of longevity, or you as players can’t find them in the rulebooks, it doesn’t mean NPCs in the established Realms (such as Mirt, Durnan, Filfaeril, and dozens more) didn’t find and imbibe (or even store, for future use) them in the past.
Rules should never trump accumulated Realmslore (our collective imagined ‘reality’).

SiriusBlack, re. “So for every one thing that slips through, probably two or three that editors caught? I'd love to know the ratio.”
My reply must be: it’s hard to score, here. There are little things and big things, and they catch most of the big ones and all of the unsubtle ones. I’m no longer trying to “put one over” on anyone, but rather just to layer meanings and possible interpretations into my fiction because it’s more fun for everyone if some things, as in ‘real’ life, remain uncertain rather than stated baldly. I DO try to “expand the horizons” with every book, pushing back “what we’re allowed to do” or the precedents for fictional styles, explicitness, and content topics a little bit more with every book I write - - but I’d prefer that to be with editorial support and agreement, not my deceiving the editor.

Wooly Rupert, see Page 5 of my last year’s thread about piercings. Common among goblins, sometimes popular in the Tashalar and other southern areas, but otherwise unusual. Some folk pierce their bodies in the Realms, usually ‘scarifying’ as part of religious or clan rite-of-passage rituals, or to adorn themselves with rings or bells (some Tashlutan female dancers sport tiny nipple-bells or chimes), but it’s not a particularly common practise. Clergy of Loviatar and Ilmater (pain-weights affixed to testicles, and the like) are exceptions to this general lack of popularity.

So saith Ed. I’m recalling some rather vivid examples of the two priesthoods Ed mentions, from Realmsplay, but I’m sure your imaginations can supply detailed descriptions just as well as my quill can. Ahem.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  03:43:33  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
My image of St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred has now radically altered . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  04:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I seem to recall he had a Texan ascent not a High pitched voice in H4

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  04:41:36  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message
I have a question for Ed about the level of magic in Faerun. The 3rd ed. FRCS pp 92-94 implies that adventuring magic is not particularly common, and in fact may be rather hard to come by. Is real magic (as opposed to gimmick magic) extremely familiar to most or something of a rarity? How difficult is it to come by? Is it found commonly in stores?
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  06:53:40  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Still, you have to respect a guy that can walk around with weights dangling from his privates. It certainly isn't something I'd have the cojones to endure even if I had the appropriate "equipment" to dangle weights from.

-Blue, who has new respect for the Ilmatari but is glad she isn't one of them

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

thom
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  00:04:57  Show Profile Send thom a Private Message
quote:

Hello, all. Herewith, Ed of the Greenwood replies to thom’s amended query:
I’d like to say more, but my latest NDA, for something secret I’m working on right now, prevents it. Sorry.

So saith Ed. Hmmm, that last sentence is (sigh) interesting. As I find myself saying all too often (Ed does respect his NDAs, guys, which means he certainly won’t tell me what that line refers to.)
love to all,
THO

Ooooh! That NDA hint definitely just brightened up the future! Thank ye kindly for the answer, Ed, and thank you THO for passing it on!

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:13:37  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes. Ed makes reply to Dargoth, Blueblade, malchor7, and Zandilar in the matter of the Cormyrean succession:

Yes, Dargoth, if the living Obarskyrs were publicly known to have been slain, various noble families and ALL of the surviving Court elements (the War Wizards and the Highknights in particular) would energetically attempt to seek out possible heirs, both legitimate “distant descendants” and Azoun’s bastards (and descendants of the byblows of various of his predecessors, too). Unless unity was swiftly and firmly achieved, protracted civil war (with ongoing assassinations, and meddling from Sembian, Thayan, and other interested power groups, for example the Cult of the Dragon and various folk of Westgate) might well be the result.
NDAs lurk close here, smiling in typical sinister fashion, so I’m not going to answer your query: “If Alusair and Azoun V died who would be the next legitimate heir to the throne?”
I will confirm that there ARE living heirs; I’ve hidden some of them myself. Oh-so-carefully, too. :}

As for Azoun’s bastards: they’ve been “up to” all sorts of things, a few of them even scheming to one day win the throne or at least an income and rank somewhere in Cormyr on the strength of their royal blood. Most don’t know their true heritage, or don’t believe it (and only a few have been quietly ‘taken in hand’ by ambitious nobles and convinced of their lineage). So, yes, some of them HAVE “sided with factions (both inside and outside Cormyr) trying to overthrow” the current Obarskyrs.

As for the one-night marriages of convenience: although I’ve heard that some nobles of Cormyr, some centuries ago, dabbled in this sort of behaviour, I am unaware of any Obarskyr ever doing so. So, no ‘legitimate one-night stands,’ as you put it. Er, that we know of yet (though I must whisper to you that some of the best scholars of Realmslore going, including Tom Costa, Bryon Wischstadt, Grant Christie, Eric Boyd, Garen Thal, George Krashos, and, er, myself, are working on nailing down the relevant exploits of every last Obarskyr, complete with family tree - - and may just manage it if we all live to be several centuries old and still have functioning wits).
Garen Thal, in his post to you, highlighted one very important fact: “The only known, legitimate claimants to the Dragon Throne of Cormyr are Azoun V (the current king) and Alusair (his aunt).”
This holds for the common folk of Cormyr - - meaning that ANYONE ELSE is going to be viewed with suspicion by some, open disbelief by others, and so on.
Garen also correctly points out that, by law, failing the presence of a healthy body heir of the blood Obarskyr, “the rule of Cormyr should fall to one of the royal Silver houses (Crownsilver, Truesilver, and Huntsilver, in order of precedence), as these are the families that can trace their origins to relations - - by blood or marriage - - to Faerlthann Obarskyr and his father Ondeth.”
George Krashos also correctly reminded us all that “if the Obarskyr line did die out in Cormyr, we might see the re-appearance of the line of Vaerom Obarskyr, Faerlthann’s brother. He fled Impiltur, banished into exile with his sons, after the defeat of Morlorn ‘the Usurper’ (whom the Obarskyrs in Impiltur had backed and assisted in gaining the throne in hopes of being elevated to the nobility like their cousins across the Inner Sea) and was made less than welcome in the Forest Kingdom when they arrived there. They headed for Westgate and parts south . . .”
However, bear in mind that many impatient-for-power nobles (especially of oldblood families like the Bleths) would loudly prefer someone “of Cormyr” in the place of some “outlander” linked to the Dragon Throne only by a “shadowy bloodline” from centuries past. Some of the important oldblood families have been exiled by the Obarskyrs over the years, which stains their influence with some Cormyreans, but the best way to ‘undo’ your exile, if you can’t get it rescinded by a popular sitting monarch, is to put those who decreed it firmly out of the picture, yes?

There is an incomplete, unpublished Obarskyr family tree, but it will probably remain unpublished for years to come (as it continues to change, under the love-labouring quills of divers diligent scribes). No, you can’t get to see it yet. See those drawn swords, behind us both? The Silent Knights of NDA stand ever-vigilant . . .

Blueblade, Garen Thal correctly told you that Filfaeril can “rule (that is, exercise the powers of the Crown, as she always did), but she may not reign (be considered Queen in her own right). Should Azoun V reach majority and declare that his grandmother is a crazy witch not to be heeded, she can’t really do much of anything about it. She also could not pass her “royalty” on to any children, should the miracle of her conceiving a child past 60 ever happen. Filfaeril is not the “reigning Queen.” She is the Dowager Queen, which means “once my husband reigned, but now one of his descendants does, but I may retain my title until another becomes queen.” Azoun V reigns over Cormyr now, and Alusair Nacacia rules in his name (though Filfaeril is pretty firmly in charge)."
All of this is quite correct, with one little correction: Filfaeril will remain “the Dowager Queen” until her death, not until someone else is crowned “Queen of Cormyr.” The Heralds will see to that (they fiercely defend these sorts of rules, to stop every tyrant twisting them until they become meaningless fictions everywhere in Faerûn: an usurper can overthrow a legitimate monarch and confer all sorts of titles upon himself, his kin, and his favourites, but he can’t “rewrite the rules” of rank or precedence, because the Heralds will resist him in ways that I won’t discuss further, here and now, due to ANOTHER current NDA (Gah! I am beset! To me, all who love the Realms! Swing our blades of silent patience valiantly, and the field shall in the fullness of time be ours!).
Of course, if the War Wizard and most of the senior heads of noble houses in the realm, plus all the high-ranking courtiers, all supported Filfaeril as the founder of a new line (in effect, an usurper), she COULD succeed the Obarskyrs, on the basis of her own lineage and her longtime marriage to Azoun, IF the realm accepted her. Many common folk have heard that she’s cold and distant, but all those who’ve actually met her, outside of functions at Court, know this to be untruth - - and they WOULD prefer her to some “heir from the shadows,” especially someone who’s clearly a bastard.

Garen Thal correctly highlights for us all: “Speaking of Alusair, all of this is why there is so much pressure on her to be married. Azoun is still young, and there is no telling what kind of man he will grow up to be. Alusair is approaching the end of child-bearing years, and it is vital that she be able to produce a member of the royal house before that occurs. Azoun needs at least one royal cousin (in the mode of Bhereu and Thomdor), as an aide, advisor, means of grounding himself, and as a backup heir.”

malchor7 then swiftly requested: “would the mighty Ed be able to forecast any *ahem* romances in the Steel Regent's future. . . ones that might end in marriage, anyway?”
To which I reply: able to, certainly. Am I going to do so? Not on thy brightest codpiece, valiant knight! Offend these sharpsword NDAs and ruin the fun for us all? Not to mention forego the possible sexual titillation of not just the affair Zandilar and Gerath Hoan and I discussed, but of Alusair’s other and future energetic amours.

And speaking of Zandilar: she laid this question before us all: “If Alusair got herself pregnant somehow, would she be required to marry? Since there’d be absolutely no doubt that the child was hers, and if she actually formally acknowledged her child, I doubt anyone could really question it - - even if the father was unknown.”
Garen Thal ably and correctly replied that “a ‘fatherless’ child of Alusair would be a legitimate claimant to the throne, for precisely that reason: the child’s royal blood is not in question. It would take public statements and proclamations royal to get the nobility to come to terms with the matter (because they need to complain about something, eh?), but there’s both royal law (the child would be an “Obarskyr born and raised’) and precedent to consider: this has happened once before, with the son of Gantharla First-Queen, called Roderin the Bastard for somewhat obvious reasons.”
To which I echoed: Any child birthed by Alusair would indeed be recognized as a legitimate monarch (over, yes, the inevitable objections of some self-serving nobles) if the parentage was “confirmed” by Caladnei (or Laspeera, if Caladnei doesn’t publicly disagree) or by Alaphondar (if Caladnei and/or Laspeera don’t publicly disagree) . . . and so on.
Then I reminded all scribes of Vangey’s habit of taking blood and tissue samples (of Alusair, Filfaeril, and Azoun V at the moment, fresh samples procured after the disaster revealed in CORMYR: A NOVEL - - and perhaps there are well-hidden, ancient and magically-preserved samples from long-ago Obarskyrs around, too!), for magical cloning purposes. I’ve recently posted via THO, in reply to Zandilar, about the mysterious current status of Alusair’s fertility.

All of which leaves us all gazing ahead into what other folk, in our real world, have termed “interesting times” for Cormyr. Which I hope to have a hand in writing about, in the years ahead. I hope you’ll all come along for the ride (even Beowulf, who just might get something of what he desires for the Forest Kingdom). I’d love to say more, about Cormyr and some of its neighbours, too, but . . . one can’t slay an NDA.

So saith Ed. Whew. Now that’s a summation to read and re-read more than once!
Fellow scribes, I'm afraid a real-life assignment is going to force e-silence on me until Friday (think of me as writhing in bondage until then, if that helps), but Ed has promised me more Ed-answers will be waiting in my inbox when I return. So until then: love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:55:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

(think of me as writhing in bondage until then, if that helps),

Such a wonderful image you leave us with, dear Hooded One.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  02:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

(think of me as writhing in bondage until then, if that helps),

Such a wonderful image you leave us with, dear Hooded One.

Relax Wooly, it means shes doing her taxes until friday

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  03:12:12  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I have a question for Ed

Im currently working doing an unofficial write up for Jhaamdath for Candlekeep and noticed that LEOF mentions that they had colonies outside of the 12 cities of the Sword around the Alimir mountains and the Lake of Steams are any of the current towns and cities in those regions surviving or built on th ruins of Jhaamdathan colonies?

Thanks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2005 :  04:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:

Garen Thal correctly highlights for us all: “Speaking of Alusair, all of this is why there is so much pressure on her to be married. Azoun is still young, and there is no telling what kind of man he will grow up to be. Alusair is approaching the end of child-bearing years, and it is vital that she be able to produce a member of the royal house before that occurs. Azoun needs at least one royal cousin (in the mode of Bhereu and Thomdor), as an aide, advisor, means of grounding himself, and as a backup heir.”

Not only is she approaching the end of her childbearing years, but she's also barren (so it's not like she has child bearing years in her anyway!). So I don't see how her getting married might make a difference to that, unless getting married is the condition which triggers the removal of Vangerdahast's "magically enforced barrenness"... And wouldn't that be a surprise for Alusair? Though it has been implied that she somehow suspects something (I think it was in a recent Ed via THO post to this forum, but danged if I can find it!)... But still, I can't see she would be too pleased.

quote:

All of which leaves us all gazing ahead into what other folk, in our real world, have termed “interesting times” for Cormyr. Which I hope to have a hand in writing about, in the years ahead. I hope you’ll all come along for the ride (even Beowulf, who just might get something of what he desires for the Forest Kingdom). I’d love to say more, about Cormyr and some of its neighbours, too, but . . . one can’t slay an NDA.

Now, where did I put those +5 Holy Flaming Burst NDA Bane arrows?

quote:

Fellow scribes, I'm afraid a real-life assignment is going to force e-silence on me until Friday (think of me as writhing in bondage until then, if that helps), but Ed has promised me more Ed-answers will be waiting in my inbox when I return. So until then: love to all,
THO

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.

Edited by - Zandilar on 11 May 2005 04:33:43
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  20:23:45  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Ahh yes, another question for Ed or the Hooded Lady,

I have read the term "battle leathers" in several of Ed's novels and now wonder what in game terms that refers to? Is it leather armor or a type of adventuring outfit that not so much protects as it allows freedom of movement?

Ever curious.

Zeathiel

Edited by - zeathiel on 13 May 2005 04:49:50
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  23:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message
I have a geography question for Ed:

My campaign is based in and around Yartar and towards the north and northeast. I've seen your descriptions of the Evermoors and doing some looking around myself, found some spectacular views of the Scottish highlands that are very informative.

On the FR map, however, there are some hills to the SW of the Evermoors that are not described in any of the published books for the area. It's a sizable area, bounded by the Evermoors and the Surbrin River to the east and west, and north of Yartar.

Is there anything of interest in these hills, and what may be their names? I've assumed that they are sparsely forested, with less and less trees as you approach the moors to the north, but is there anything else? Flora, fauna, organized humanoid bands, etc?
Go to Top of Page

BelRex
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  06:37:14  Show Profile  Visit BelRex's Homepage Send BelRex a Private Message
Greetings all. I have a question for Ed. Are the Shards of Selune, considered her 'Chosen'. I remember reading somewhere, that they are, but I cannot find it in any of my books. To me, it is implied in the flavor text in Faiths and Patheons. They are clerics chosen at the end of the Conjuring of the Second Moon, who are then taken into the ranks of the Shards. Or are the Shards just a type of elite guard for Selune. If that is so..does Selune have a chosen, and if so..who?

Thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  06:53:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Ed,

I just finished Elminster's Daughter, and I have to say it has been my favorite of your solo novels to date! Just awesome.

I already generated one question from reading it, but here is another comment that caught me attention. There are War Wizards, at one point, that Narnra hear gossiping about Vangerdahast's plan, and they mention that elves were a greater danger to dragons than humans ever were, then they mention a cult of hobgoblins that beleived in eating dragon flesh to become more powerful.

The implication is that this cult was the same or more of a threat than humans were to dragons, but less so than elves. Do we know of any remnants of that hobgoblin culture? Any ruins or artifacts? Where might their main seat of power have been?

I love the idea that the goblinoids were at one time more advanced, dangerous, and organized, and we have already had hints of southern orc cites during the Orcgate Wars, the Grodd goblins, and the Ogre kingdoms of Thar. I would love to hear more about the hobgoblins if you can spare any information at this time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000