Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  00:19:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Arthedain, your question to Ed about dueling has already be answered: on Page 74 of the 2004 Questions for Ed Greenwood thread, here in the Chamber of Sages, Ed made reply to The Blind Ranger about this same topic.
As for your question about noble marriages, heeeeeeere’s Ed!:

Hi, Arthedain. Certainly George’s (ahem, Mr. Martin, but he told me call him “George” when I sat drinking and talking with him at the 2003 Worldcon) nobles echo the behaviour of SOME nobles in Faerûn (such as those of Cormyr, Impiltur, and along the Sword Coast. “Arranged” marriages do foster (but not necessarily cement, because some families are quite internally fractious, so married-off daughter X may very well side with her husband’s kin against dear old controlling mummy or daddy) political alliances.
As for the marriage between Lord Mourngrym and Lady Shaerl: the Rowanmantles quite openly and heavy-handedly THREW Shaerl and her sister at the lonely, far-from-Waterdeep Mourngrym in open and obvious hopes of gaining a toehold in the Dales, a move supported by the Crown of Cormyr (read: Vangerdahast) because he saw it as a way of extending Cormyrean influence into the Dales (first: make Tilverton a protectorate, then marry into shared control of Shadowdale, and - - the riches of the Moonsea are within sight and grasp!). Shaerl and Mourngrym both saw what was going on, but a marriage came about because they genuinely fell in love (and Shaerl politely told Vangey, via various War Wizards, to tluin off and get lost; she wants Shadowdale and Cormyr to be firm friends, but she’s having no part of Cormyrean control, paternal and friendly or otherwise). So this was no ‘hidden’ plan: Vangerdahast didn’t want to be subtle - - but he didn’t succeed, either.
Now, as for your “general impression of the nobles and noble families has been that they feast, hunt and enjoy themselves (almost) 24/7 (or 24/10 to be precise), and that the heads of the families don't arrange marriages.”
Not so. The ‘idle rich at play’ stereotype is just that: a stereotype. Someone in most noble families has to be loyal to the ruler, someone has to be good at war (or at least command), and someone has to be a shrewd investor: or the family will fall from grace and power in a hurry, and be exterminated, stripped of noble rank, or reduced to a handful of mere pawns in the hands of others. Many nobles like the wider Realms to THINK they spend all their time hawking, hunting, drinking, dallying with each other’s spouses, attending or throwing debauched revels, and pursuing eccentric hobbies - - but most of them do so a few evenings a week, at most. YOUNG nobles, with nothing to do (because they’re not trusted with any family responsibilities yet, as their elders watch to see what sort of people they’ll turn into), now . . . many of them DO carry on like that all the time (or as much of the time as they can remain conscious and out of custody).
Moreover, in most noble families, even if the head of the family doesn’t arrange a marriage (and they DO, whenever they have offspring not strong-willed enough to stand up to them, or a monarch meddling), their approval is needed in most cases unless the errant son or daughter is willing to elope, flee far beyond reach, and renounce all family wealth and favour if not name and title (and they are often disowned in absentia; when the furious head of the house dies, they may or may not be ‘allowed back in’).
It’s always a mistake to try to relate conditions in the Realms too closely with the past history of our real world, as I’ve said many times before, but yes, in our real world arranged marriages were quite common in our Western World, and ARE STILL quite common in many other modern-day societies (many Muslim societies, most Hindu countries, and many African tribal cultures, to name just the first few that come to mind). So yes, colour yourself unsurprised: such practises are indeed common “in at least some parts of Faerûn.” And yes, you correctly cite a published-early-on example of mine in this regard.

And I believe I’ll add a note or two about your dueling query, too (my Lady Hooded correctly points out my earlier dealings re. this matter): As for your example of an adventurer insulting the wealthy Cormyrean noble: the noble wouldn’t dream of dueling an “uncouth outlander,” and so there’d be no duel unless the noble REALLY wanted personal combat with the adventurer (a rare thing, because usually the noble would see no loss of personal honour in being insulted by an outlander or commoner adventurer, because “they are so uncouth that they can behave no better, eh what?” but to accept a duel against such a lowlife WOULD involve a loss of honour), OR the adventurer was himself (or herself) a Cormyrean noble. Otherwise, no duel: the adventurer would simply be shunned by nobles, and politely told by a War Wizard or herald to behave (or even apologize), or face arrest and fines, exile, the band charter being revoked or their name stricken from it - - or worse.
And yes, if a duel did occur, the norm in the Realms is: no seconds, no lasting family feud (the duel settles all, unless one participant fights unfairly), clergy DO adjudicate (and unfairness therefore results in church edict against/divine disfavour against, the cheater), and normally the challenged has the choice of weapons (I say “normally” because there are limits: missile weapon use is disallowed in duels, as are ambushes and fights between someone who can fly or turn invisible and someone who can’t, someone who can breathe underwater and someone who can’t, and someone WHO HAS or CAN CAST MAGIC and someone who doesn’t or can’t).
In the past I’ve answered queries about wizards dueling each other, but in general: magic-using folk aren’t allowed to duel non-magic-using-folk. “Trials by combat” may be local exceptions, but these are of course very special sorts of duels, not “honour-matches” at all.

Oh, and about the sandbox: you’re very welcome, and it has been and continues to be my great pleasure!

So saith Ed, and there you have it!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  20:05:55  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
As I recall, Ed has said in the past that there are herbal brews and simple spells that can serve as contraceptives. And these are gods we're talking about -- I'd imagine that they'd only impregnate a mortal (or become impregnated) if they specifically chose to. Ditto for sex between the gods.

I agree. I mean Ed has said before that the Chosen, as mortals, can't even get with child without Mystra's okay. If she's that "controling" with her Chosen, do you really think she as a deity would allow herself to become with child?

Ah, but could divine reproduction be part of an evil deity's plot? Like, could Bane, for instance, find some way to make Mystra's protection fail, and steal away her child as a plan to subsume his hated enemy's portfolio, like seducing a king (oh, say, Azoun) in order to have a half-breed with ties to the throne?

Wow. This seems like Forgotten Realms soap opera.

Total meaningless speculation. Gotta love it.

m
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:38:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by malchor7

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:
As I recall, Ed has said in the past that there are herbal brews and simple spells that can serve as contraceptives. And these are gods we're talking about -- I'd imagine that they'd only impregnate a mortal (or become impregnated) if they specifically chose to. Ditto for sex between the gods.

I agree. I mean Ed has said before that the Chosen, as mortals, can't even get with child without Mystra's okay. If she's that "controling" with her Chosen, do you really think she as a deity would allow herself to become with child?

Ah, but could divine reproduction be part of an evil deity's plot? Like, could Bane, for instance, find some way to make Mystra's protection fail, and steal away her child as a plan to subsume his hated enemy's portfolio, like seducing a king (oh, say, Azoun) in order to have a half-breed with ties to the throne?

Wow. This seems like Forgotten Realms soap opera.

Total meaningless speculation. Gotta love it.

m

I don't see that happening, even if Mystra decided to get horizontal with Bane... She'd know if she became pregnant, and could easily deal with the pregnancy in whatever manner she wished. These are deities -- they have total control over their own bodies.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  22:05:22  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message
quote:

I don't see that happening, even if Mystra decided to get horizontal with Bane... She'd know if she became pregnant, and could easily deal with the pregnancy in whatever manner she wished. These are deities -- they have total control over their own bodies.

Now THAT would be an interesting child.

And then we get into all this pro-life/pro-choice nonsense. Hmm... the Realms? Getting political?

And like I said: MEANINGLESS speculation.

m

P.S. Unless Ed writes a book about it.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:07:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, Wooly, you oblige with spankings? WON-derful. My persuasions will forthwith begin.
As for sharing more of my adventures in the City of Splendors . . . well, now. There’s the time I “persuaded” a member of the Guard to share his hippogriff saddle for some ardent bareback riding over the city - - but no, no, this is a FAMILY thread . . . er, isn’t it?
Well, perhaps I could tell you about the time I impersonated Lady R- - - so as to delay her husband returning too soon to a certain office where a certain secret passage could be found.
But then, that adventure’s not completely played out yet, so perhaps instead I’d best talk about the time my character found a new way down into, and back up from, Skullport (well, not exactly NEW; the bodies and bones festooning the sequence of gates sorta betrayed the fact that it had seen heavy use in the past); we found quite an interesting little symbiont along that route, too . . . but I KNOW Ed doesn’t want me to spill the beans about THAT, given his current fiction projects, so . . . hmmm, it seems there’re not that many really interesting tales left about Waterdeep at all. Endless shopping trips, Dock Ward tavern brawls, and wild nobles’ revels undertaken, of course, but those are hardly unique, mmm?
But enough dalliance. I DO have an answer from Ed to impart, to malchor7:

No, there aren’t a lot of known godlings wandering around (the word “known” is key here; there are some divine surprises as yet unrevealed about the Realms, even after all this time), and Wooly Rupert and kuje31 are quite correct: deities only conceive children when they specifically choose to. I’m not so sure that we can say with certainty that conception wouldn’t occur in the case of unions detween deities, where one wanted issue and the other did not. However, a deity must surrender some of their ‘divine spark’ or essence to impart some to offspring, so you can have “true godlings” (immortals), mortals with some special spell-like powers (innate abilities), and normal mortals who just have ‘tuned’ or ‘cherry-picked’ aptitudes (“You, child, shall have a talent for sorcery and the feats Drift Magic and Body Pouch (regardless of the usual prerequisites”).

So saith Ed. Wherefore: It Is So.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Id be more inclined to believe that theres some "Godlings" from Xvim than Bane (Although I do much prefer the story that Bane had Xvim with a Fallen Paladin than a Demon, as it seems more his style) after all Xvim spent 20 to 30 odd years ruling Westgate.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  02:20:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. The tireless questioner Dargoth, a little over a month back, posed this question: “What occurred in 267 DR and why was it named the Year of Banes Shadow? (I’m assuming it refers to the God Bane)”
Ed of the Greenwood herewith makes reply:

Aside from the Battle of Fallen Trees (noted in the CORMANTHYR sourcebook and in “A Grand History of the Realms” timeline by Brian R. James, hosted here at Candlekeep), the year 267 DR is little remembered in recorded history, though many sages have debated the meaning of its name down the years.
The most popular theory is that it does indeed refer to the god Bane, and specifically to a growth in Bane’s power.
Some say it speaks of Bane’s subsumption of a part of the divine essence of a slain god (perhaps one of the Seven Lost Gods, as part of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul treating with the god fell and wise god Jergal), and although no mortal knows the timing of those events - - or even if they are ‘true,’ as told - - that seems more likely than the second-most-popular theory: that it refers to Bane fathering Iyachtu Xvim, the ‘Godson of Bane’ (for the timing seems wrong for Xvim’s birth, though mortals have no way of knowing if gods can sew seed in mortal wombs and have it ‘wait dormant’ for some years or until they command it to bear fruit in a mortal womb).

So saith Ed. Who (as I’ve noticed a time or two before) takes many words to say: “We can’t say anything for sure.”
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  03:16:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Thanks Ed

Ive just thought of another event event that may fit with that years name

In the novel Pool of Twilight its written that at some point after Bane ascension he approached Shar to reveal the future for Bane and his church, Shar brew a potion and Bane went into a trance and wrote down thirteen prophecys (including the coming of the Time of Troubles)in a book that became known as the Oracle of Strife.

The Year of Bane Shadow may well have been the year that Bane made these prophecys, Shadow being a reference to Shars involvement or it could have even meant that Shar used the Shadow weave to create the potion........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 10 Apr 2005 10:25:46
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1253 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  09:41:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
My only comment would be that invariably there are multiple events that could reasonably qualify as "the event spoken of in the name of that year in the roll."

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  10:33:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
AHA, need to do my Knut impression then and keep the tide at bay!

Thanks THO for the update, will wait in hope

Cheers

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Damian, fellow lover of the Realms for faithful years, it grieves me to dash your hopes. Let’s cuddle as I proffer this tallglass of something special from Ed’s cellar, to soothe your inevitable distress. The NDA Ed refers to is connected to more than one potential product, both of them are but shadows on the horizon right now (read: years off), and they are still carved, not in stone, but in quicksand on a stormy beach, with the tide coming in. Rest assured, however, that Ed and I both want to see “a decent update for Eveningstar,” too, and know that we stand at your aside, swords and spells ready.

Ah, but this wine is . . . warming. I’m just going to snuggle in beside Ed, here, and greet more of you on the morrow.
love to all!
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  15:18:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My only comment would be that invariably there are multiple events that could reasonably qualify as "the event spoken of in the name of that year in the roll."

--Eric

There's a lot of year names that make me wonder... Last week, I was going over the Roll of Years list, putting it into an easier to manipulate format than the original .rtf file (I got it all nice and neat in Excel), and I noticed the Year of Pixies Playing Foul (-109DR). That's one that makes me curious...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 10 Apr 2005 15:21:26
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  18:45:26  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
is there a link to the Roll of Years please?

(unless you can email the excel version?)

cheers

Damian
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  19:09:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

is there a link to the Roll of Years please?
cheers
Damian

Damian,

Try the following link. It's not an excel version. But, I don't recall ever seeing a link using that format.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 10 Apr 2005 19:09:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  19:58:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just this week put it in an Excel version... Anyone that wants it, e-mail me.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  01:45:22  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to Antareana, in the matter of the god Milil and his clergy:

Antareana, properly detailing the Church of Milil (to say nothing of the god himself) is a huge undertaking, and one I’m afraid I just haven’t time for now (a state of affairs that could well last for the rest of this year, the way things are going).

However, let me share a few of my notes about the Lord of Song and his clergy, as follows:

The best Sorlyn have perfect pitch, good singing voices, and perfect recall. Most Sorlyn have one of those three things (if not in perfection, than ‘very good to superb’), and the vast majority of Sorlyn attend private (priests only) classes of endless repetition, so as to memorize the lyrics of ballads that can be chanted or declaimed as well as sung: both prayers of praise to the Lord of Song, and useful tales (‘favorite standards’) that can earn them a pint or a wedge of cheese in a tavern, such as “When Durathor Rode to Hunt” and “The Ghost Princess.”
Most Sorlyn build up a great repertoire of memorized songs (a grieving son or two, a love song or two, a ‘manly praise’ song, and endless story-ballads) in this manner, and are taught to write them down and teach them to others. They are also expected, as they advance in church rank, to create original songs of praise to Milil.
The Lord of Song shows his favour in two ways: by ‘inspiring’ his faithful with new songs (that he places in their minds in dreams, usually visualized as “written in letters of flowing fire”), and by manifesting music (usually the notes of unseen pipes, chiming bells, or harps) around the favoured person that all can hear.
(Note that an illiterate Sorlyn who receives such inspiration can perfectly write down the “letters of fire” for others to read, without themselves being able to read the script. The inspiration, however, locks the meaning and sound of the words in their minds, forever.)
Sorlyn will be proud to share any music resulting from Milil’s inspiration, and it often enhances their standing in the church immediately. It is always, words and music, ‘burned into the brain’ of the devout individual, and CANNOT be forgotten (even surviving thought-draining attacks and magics, the death and subsequent resurrection of the devout individual, and so on; even if a mind flayer drains it from Erevho the Minstrel, a copy of it remains in Erevho (not just in his brain, but singing in his veins, his soul, and his flesh). Acquiring sufficient marks of Milil’s favour of this sort is the only way to avoid the inevitable forgetfulness and mental confusion of great age (what we modern real-world folks call Alzheimer’s, and dementia, strokes, and just plain forgetfulness). It also (every DM must devise their own modifier) affects Will Saves against feeblemind spells and similar mental attacks.
Manifestations of Milil’s favour begin as brief flourishes of sound (“fanfare chords,” some have called them) spontaneously manifesting when a favoured being says or does something. The being has no control over them, must endure them even when they cause embarrassment or danger, and will be increasingly respected by other Sorlyn who hear them.
Gradually, if an individual acquires more such manifestations (remember, this can only happen because of a character’s deeds, words, and decisions, not by merely faithfully following church dogma or the orders of superiors in the Priesthood of Song), some of them will remain within the favoured being’s head, as “echoes” that can comfort or be used to focus attention for meditation and prayer. They can then be released a second or subsequent times (usually WITHOUT ‘losing them forever,’ though they fade a little with each such release) at the will of the favoured being. In other words, a favoured being can make a gesture of honour towards a newborn child or noble or monarch, and the music they can hear inside their heads will be released (it’s up to them to decide if it will create the desired, or appropriate, effect).

So saith Ed. Ah, Realmslore to make one smile. Thank you, old friend!
And to Melfius: no, Ed hasn’t forgotten your request about Akadi; this comes so swiftly purely because Ed could lay hand swiftly and unerringly on his old Milil notes.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  05:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Wow, that last one was teeming with adventure hooks! Good stuff, that.

And now, a question of mine own: THO, would it be possible for you to share some highlights of your own experiences at noble revels and parties in Waterdeep?

I understand my questions skirts awfully close to any number of NDA’s, what with Ed and Elaine’s novel due out soon, not to mention Eric Boyd’s Waterdeep Sourcebook.

Thusly I’ll accept a firm no, should such be judged necessary.

But if not, I’ll take whatever you proffer with great thanks and a sincere promise to use it for inspiration and ideas, as the in-game date for mine own group’s invitation to a Spring regalia at the Hawkwinter House draws near.

With many thanks,

J. Grenemyer

ps: And thanks to Wooly as well; though your ideas may flow from fingers perhaps a little less adept at caressing than THO's, your adventure hooks and player-attention-getting ideas are just as equally appreciated (and will be used).

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 11 Apr 2005 07:29:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30430 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  11:27:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

ps: And thanks to Wooly as well; though your ideas may flow from fingers perhaps a little less adept at caressing than THO's, your adventure hooks and player-attention-getting ideas are just as equally appreciated (and will be used).

Not a problem! I enjoy helping out.

Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  15:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
THO, is there anything you can tell us (yet) about the Knights trilogy? Has Ed let slip anything about the plot or chronology of the first book? Specific characters? Places? Chapter-length excerpts? (Such as, ahem, the sex scenes the WotC editors are going to edit out anyway?)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  00:07:29  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Herewith, Ed replies to Gerath Hoan re. matters Cormyrean:

Gerath, you’re quite welcome re. the Hammerstars series. I consider that eight-parter a paltry but essential offering of long-overdue Realmslore to fill the gaping ‘black hole’ that Sembia has remained for too long.
As for your Cormyrean questions: yes, I’d say you’re capturing the right flavour. “King’s Vale” is a good name (bear in mind that ‘Vale’ means “valley,” so you’ve got to create a local depression, probably small and bearing streams running down from the height where they ‘rise’ to join either the Sword or the Immerflow). “Silverspurs” is a quite acceptable noble family name, so long as they’re few in number and low in fame and influence (we already have Silver, Silverhorn, Silversword, Crownsilver, Huntsilver, and Truesilver - - so this had probably better be the very last “Silver” family among the nobility).
As I see the situation, most of the crofters (farmers) fled on the orders of army commanders as the foe advanced; only the most stubborn stayed to fight the orcs (and so died), though their buildings would have been looted and burned, their livestock slain and devoured, and crops and larders despoiled or eaten. So some of the farms would have been (thinly) resettled almost right away, with Purple Dragons sent out to patrol the area and work alongside the surviving (returned) crofters and a few poor street folk from Suzail offered Crown coin to work on farms (and, once it became clearer who was dead, even offered some farmland). So: few grand uniformed units of Purple Dragons riding here and there, and smaller garrisons - - but more Purple Dragons out working alongside commoners (building trust, just as the canny Obarskyrs want them to).
The Obarskyrs will have been calling on their coffers (the secret wealth of the Crystal Grot) to buy all manner of edibles, seed, and livestock, to make sure crops were sewn as soon as possible, and to keep folk from starving through the first (leanest) winter; mercenaries (closely watched over by War Wizards in turn watched or ‘covered’ by other, unseen War Wizards, to guard against treachery or plundering) would have been hired to bolster patrols and guardpost-garrisons, to fight off orc and goblin raiding bands, prowling monsters, brigands, and - - yes - - Zhent incursions.
Fzoul intends to keep his bargain with Khelben by not openly conquering anywhere, but also intends to continue ‘buying’ local rulers as the Zhents always did, and raiding as much as they always did, too (“Those raids? Those weren’t us; can’t have been - - I gave orders! Oh, a few low-ranking lads might have got ambitious, they always do . . . but if I discover that happened, rest assured I’ll stretch a few necks, believe me! What do you mean, you don’t believe me?”). So the Zhents will both raid and try to use crooked merchants as agents to take over local smithies and other businesses wherever they see a chance.
Purple Dragon units will escort all deliveries of these purchased imported necessities, which will come to ‘local lords’ for local distribution. Things in the backlands are a little “rough and ready” right now - - but the Crown is watchful, and ready to spring into action against outlaws, raiding outlanders, and adventurers who try to ‘run amok.’

So saith Ed. Who’s deep in taxes right now, but still on his feet with sword in hand, and no trace of fear on his face . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Gerath Hoan
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  11:37:45  Show Profile Send Gerath Hoan a Private Message
Thank you so much Ed for your comments... Here's a few quick responses of my own.

I have indeed created a 'vale' for King's Vale, as it was based on historical maps of my own little westcountry village, which had a fantasically exaggerated hilly local terrian depicted on them. It has a good sized central vale carved out of the high ground to the north, the vale itself being vaguely ring shaped, with arms of high ground extending southwest and enfolding around most of the village, but left somewhat open to the low ground where the main road runs into the village. It also comes complete with the several small streams as you described (which i spent the bulk of my childhood falling into! ) and several smaller bowl-shaped depressions in the hills to the north that were also used as areas of farming within the greater jurisdiction of the one settlement.

Here's the URL of the map in question:

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/gallery/map/kingtonStM_map004.jpg

As for the Silverspur family... yes i know there's a lot of 'Silvers' amongst the nobility, which is perhaps why the name felt correctly Cormyrean to me... but i assure you that they don't have much influence anymore. I've got them reduced to 3 surviving family members (one Baron with his wife and, off adventuring somewhere in the Dales, his sister) who act more as the "country Knight on his manor" type of noble than the sophisticated Suzailian nobility you've brought to light in published Realms fiction so far. And given the long term plot-lines i've set up for my campaign, i expect the couple to remain childless and perhaps in the end the sister will be left to inherit what's left of the title and lands.

Thanks for the description of current situation of the local lands, i intend to flesh out the back-story of the village with some stubborn characters now dead thanks to the war, and i conveniently have a lot of free farmland to potentially assign to eccentric and suspect NPCs (as well as more harmless former city dwellers and ex-Purple Dragons) that even the locals will know little about.

And the ideas as to the Purple Dragons military disposition, current hostile threats, presence of mercenaries and a confirmation of continued Zhent raids will all find much use as plot hooks and fun encounters!

Thanks again Ed, it's a pleasure to be playing in this world you've created!

EDITED: for clarity and the weblink

Knight of the Order of the Keen Eye - Granted by Ed Greenwood, 30th January 2005

Edited by - Gerath Hoan on 12 Apr 2005 11:58:47
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  02:13:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed replies to Dargoth’s question: “Whats the relationship like between Cormyr and the elven nations (Ie Evereska, Evermeet and the remaining elven settlements in the Dalelands) in the post Azouns IV death and the destruction of Tilverton era? both of them being events where elves did substantial damage to Cormyr/Particular does Alusair hold a grudge against the elves over her fathers death? Do the people of Cormyr in general have a negative view of Elves?”
(Wooly Rupert replied: “I wouldn't imagine so, for either case... Alusair is a smart lady, and it's not like this was an elven plot -- it was the actions of one former elf. And how many people know that the Devil Dragon was formerly an elf?”
Now Ed has his say:

Dargoth, Wooly Rupert is right: as the Steel Regent begins her rule, rest assured that no one in Cormyr, from Filfaeril and Alusair down to gossiping fishwives in Marsember, holds any hatred for elves over the events recounted in either the war against the Devil Dragon or the events recounted in The Return of the Archwizards trilogy. Elves just aren’t seen as a group or race of villains in Cormyr. Some individual Cormyreans may hold grudges or feel hatred towards individual elves, but that’s a far different thing.
Now, as far as relations between Cormyr and Evereska: Evereska doesn’t have much to do with any non-elven land. Most Cormyreans believe it’s a fallen land, or a myth, or a shining hidden paradise of the elves (and mostly don’t think about it at all). Evermeet ditto (though few still believe it’s entirely mythical). War Wizards, merchants, and certain courtiers carry on quite cordial relations with elves in the Dalelands, but again, the average Cormyrean never thinks of elven settlements in the Dalelands except as those “deep green woods where elves dance and fey things happen; best leave ’em be.”

So saith Ed. More Realmslore tomorrow!
Gerath: nice. I'll pass this on to Ed, weblink and all. I suspect he'll be pleased.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  06:10:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
A question that could potentially prompt the casting of a minor NDA spell... but I'm curious since the next stage of my Darkhold campaign will focus on this subject in particular.

Now, what is the current status (in 1373DR) of the Church of Cyric, both in and around the Darkhold area?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  08:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

quote:
Yes and no. Or, to put that a little more clearly: yes, a deity hears whenever anyone addresses a namesake mortal by name (and, yes, both Selûne and Shar would hear when the lass named Seluneshar was named), but this babble goes on ALL the time (prayers, remember), for the vast majority of deities, in a ceaseless thunder. They learn to tune it out, or quickly go mad (Cyric, anyone?). So they’re aware of all these “callings” in the background, and will notice peaks, breaks, and changes in the frequency, tone, and amount of mortal utterances of their name - - but will only ‘zero in’ on a particular voice when they want to.

This answer (and the question) piqued my curiosity... Just how common is it for a mortal to be named after a deity? Are there some deity names that are never used for mortals (ie: I'd imagine you wouldn't find too many named for Bane or Loviatar)?

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  12:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message
Heya,

I know this is more than 10 pages old (at least on my computer), but I kind of just stumbled back across this site (lost my bookmarks when my computer went boom! *sob*) today and have been catching up on 2005.

So repeating the original EXPLICIT LANGUAGE AHEAD warning... And I'll add to that: One rather twisted question as well... Well twisted for some, not for me...

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One, related by Ed

male homosexual ND = liyan (E: “LEE-awwn”), praed (derived from gnome slang)
effeminate male homosexual = dathna ND, simpering man-lover
bisexual man ND = tasmar
lecher M = winker
Casanova,
tireless woman-chaser = cod-loose winker
masochistic man = dusk
[note: refers to a male who enjoys self-bondage and/or being bound, being whipped or pierced or otherwise hurt]

cross-dresser (either gender) ND = saece (E: “SAY-sss”)
male or female who enjoys being forcibly enspelled (including shapechanging)
as part of sexual play = wild one, thaethiira (E: “thAY-th-EAR-ah”)
prostitute ND = coin-lass, coin-lad
[note: the above is roughly the equivalent of our phrase “neighbourhood professional;” I haven’t listed less polite euphemisms because there are literally dozens]

lesbian ND = thruss
dyke = battlebud
butch (manly woman) = harnor
submissive female M = rose
masochistic female M = dusk rose
[note: the above refers to a female who enjoys self-bondage and/or being bound, being whipped or pierced or otherwise hurt]
‘loose’ female = wanton, slut, sreea (E: “SREE-uh”)
bisexual female = shaeda (E: “SHAY-dah”)

Ah, one of my favorite pet topics. Sex, sexuality, and the Realms. I find your list interesting mostly for what is and isn't there.

There's no term for submissive male beyond "dathna" which isn't completely applicable, since not all submissive males are necessarily effeminate.

Also, being bound and being hurt are two completely separate things. One can enjoy bondage without the discipline, so to speak. Also one can enjoy pain without being submissive (dusk rose seems to imply a submissive woman who enjoys pain, rather than just a woman who enjoys pain - since the rose is appended to the dusk... if you see what I'm getting at?) But I guess you could only put so many words in the list, which is probably why it seems odd to me!

Lastly, the magical shapechanging has me interested. I've been wondering about this myself recently (as plot device for a Realmsian fan fic I may or may not write into the story) - I'm sure some wizards and sorcerers take their magic into their kinks and use shape shifting for gender bending purposes (a more extreme form of transvestism, or the Realmsian version of inter/transexuality? Probably can stand in for both!)... Is it possible for a gender bending wizard/sorcerer/other being to be fertile? Which means to say if a female wizard polymorphed/shapechanged/cursed into a male (for simplicity's sake, of same species) and had sex with another lady, could she make her partner pregnant? And how about the reverse? A male changes into a female, and has sex with another man - would he become pregnant? And if possible what would happen if he tried to change back to his normal form while pregnant? I suppose this is more a rules mechanics thing and would be something each individual DM should rule on - but I'm curious how you'd handle it, Ed?

quote:
your wanton dusk rose and sometime shaeda,

Are or are not, there is no sometime.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  14:38:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes.
Krash, Ed replies to two of your DWARVES DEEP questions:

My Lady Hooded was of course quite correct when she said King Azoun IV’s alliance with the dwarves of Earthfast was trade-related. She gave you its normal flows (“textiles, leather, boots, foodstuffs, and tinctures, tisanes, and infusions that could be used in making dyes and medicines, in return for trade-bars of metal, valued at fair market prices”), but of course didn’t know that Azoun could call on this for armor and weaponry, usually in return for particular War Wizard spell castings on specific items. The primary trade route, by the way, was via portal from Suzail to a secret location in the Dales, and thence to the Low Road (see page 30 of my 2004 Questions thread here at Candlekeep) and south from there (and vice versa), with War Wizards magically overseeing Highknight-directed trade activities from afar (ready to leap in if treachery or ambushes from hostile third parties occurred - - something that, as it happened, never happened :} ).
Glowhammers are enspelled warhammers that, yes, can glow with faerie fire upon mental command of the wielder, and can also be willed to ‘send’ a beam of stronger light (like a pencil flashlight, aimed by moving the hammer; strong enough to see small features or writing by, but not blinding nor strong enough to affect undead). They can be released and left floating, as The Hooded One described.
The primary magical ability of a glowhammer is to reveal all hidden runes, symbols, scripts, marks, sigils, and writings (within ten feet, when willed to do so). The revealed markings remain visible until this hammer ability is ‘willed off’ or the hammer is moved out of range, and the glowhammer ability is so crafted as to NOT activate any magics contained in the markings it reveals (even by touch).
I’ve never given glowhammers formal 3e stats (and of course the formal 2nd Ed ones are owned by WotC; only they can choose to release them), but such details should be easy enough to work up with this lore in hand.
The DWARVES DEEP corrections are: substitute “Rimmator” for “Rimmato” on the foldout map, and at the bottom of the middle column of text on page 5, insert the word “alloy” between “extremely hard and durable” and “known as” . . . also right at the bottom of the same column, in the passage:
known as “adamantine,” and occasionally
please change the word “adamantine” to: adamantite.
So adamantite is the ore, adamant is the pure (and very hard but brittle) metal, and adamantine is the very hard, very durable alloy (sometimes shortened to “adamant” in daily usage, especially by non-dwarves).
Dareth next time, okay? Taxes wound and press me hard . . .
As for “all about dwarves in the Realms,” ha! I should live so long! Et cetera . . .

So saith Ed. As for his taxes comment: wince. By “next time,” he almost certainly means tomorrow.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000