Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 70

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  20:53:41  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message
Hooded One & Ed,

Greetings again and many thanks for the prompt answers.
...Of course, my unappreciative players send only their scorn... Typical, I suppose, of mercenaries whose hopes for outrageous wages have been recently dashed.

Which actually brings up one more question. Mercenary contracts: generally speaking I imagine a mercenary gets paid only as long as he fights, so the idea of binding contracts seems a bit unnecessary where private sellswords are concerned, right? But what about a large, standing company of mercenaries serving a city? Would their captain (general, or whatever title he's given himself) be adverse to hiring people on the short term? Because of the long-term services he offers to a long-term patron (in this case a city state), would short-term enlistments be frowned on? I've obviously got some ideas on the matter (we all do in this group, having dealt with long-term enlistments and short-term deployments or assignments at one time or another...), but I'd like to see if you had anything culturally-specific for that corner of the Realms...

By the way, feel free to answer this in whatever order it came in. I have plenty of months left here, and I'm sure I'll get opportunities to check for responses. It's the amount of minutes at a time that's at a premium, after all... Not so much the amount of times you get to connect.

Cheers,
Phoebus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  00:33:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed makes reply to Kentinal in the matter of those manor houses (for example, around Everlund):

Yes, Kentinal, you’ve got it: many of them are retreats for the wealthy (not always just for summer, but indeed the least hardy owners would vacate during the cold months). And yes, quite a few of them could be owned by drow, Zhents, Red Wizards, and other ‘unsavouries,’ often using portals or teleport spells or disguises to arrive and depart, and hired agents as house staff, builders, and guards. And yes, of course they can be (and in quite a few cases are) used as bases for various criminal activities (including detaining kidnapped victims to be sold into slavery or ransomed). For that reason, ownership is often concealed, and as a DM I wouldn’t want to provide you or anyone with any definitive list of who owns which house, where. ;}
Around Everlund, these manor houses tend to be about a quarter mile apart (with grounds enclosed by hedges or stone walls or fences), and as one moves farther out from “Everlund proper,” the houses become half a mile apart, then about a mile apart, and then about a mile and a half apart (and thereafter they peter out).

So saith Ed. Who’s busy busy busy writing must-remain-mysterious-for-now Realms fiction as I post this.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  08:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

I found this scroll lying around, it's penned by MrH and was address to Ed..

quote:
Originally posted by MrH
Mr. Greenwood,
Thanks for all of your work (both novels and rpg material). I am thoroughly enjoying all of it. I do have a question concerning one of my favorite characters -

Why did we decide to kill Shandril Shessair in "Hand of Fire"? I really thought it was a rotten ending for both Shandril as well as Narm (realizing of course that this is an extremely biased opinion). She didn't seem the suicidal type. Couldn't Mystra bring her back somehow? Thanks for any response.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  18:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simontrinity
Ed, let me see if I'm understanding what I think I'm understanding.

As far as Twilight Hall is concerned, the Moonstars aren't Harpers.

As far as El and Storm are concerned, a rose by any other name still knows how to play a harp? :)
- S

As far as the upper echelons of Twilight Hall is concerned, they are not Harpers. To most Harpers (especially those with whom those concerned have had personal relationships and experience), they're still on their side and it's a Type A-pissing match between Khelben and others who don't like his high-and-mighty style.

In other words,
Twilight Hall Harpers are the People's Front of Judea.
The Tel'Teukiira are the Judean People's Front.

Steven
Who apologizes for causing so much confusion and trouble among the toys in Ed's toybox....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2005 :  23:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Hey Ed, I'm going to ask some "fledgling questions" as I am still new to Forgotten Realms (reading novels others have read years ago). Anyway some questions on your characters. Who's the better swordsman: Salvatore's Drizzt or Durnan? Joking. I was wondering about Magisters - is a Chosen a Magister? What is the distinct difference (this question has probably been asked before)? Will you ever release annotated versions of your novels (I think I've already asked about omnibus versions some time ago - and the answer was fairly much it is on the whim of Wizards)? And (this is really a noob question) is the deities Torm and Helm the mortals Torm
(thief) and Helm (king from Making of a Mage) from your other books? That's enough qs for now. :)

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  01:37:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, fellow scribes. Ed makes reply to Melfius in the matter of Waterdhavian street traffic and etiquette (with a nod to Kentinal):

Rush hours occur daily in Waterdeep when the city gates open (almost always at dawn) and before they close (almost always at dusk, though sometimes they’re kept open a little later when caravans are assembling outside the city, and there are lineups of wagons jammed inside the gates).
Other rush hours center on movements of goods to and from the docks when many large ships are loading or unloading, during festivals, guild parades, large contests at the Field of Triumph, and other events that tend to choke the streets, and for extraordinary events like the first warm bathing days (everyone heads to Sea Ward, to get to the beach), market fairs outside the walls (when multiple caravans arrive and the City Guard keeps them from entering due to crowding, so street vendors and eager shoppers go out to them), when the city’s under attack, and so on.
As for how long the delays are, that’s impossible to average out. Wagon traffic tends to disappear from Sea Ward and North Ward except during sharply-limited daylight hours, so as long as you’re nimble enough to avoid nobles galloping horses and coaches whizzing about, pedestrians can get around most easily after dusk. That “easier after dark” rule also holds true (if one dares to go out) everywhere else in the city except around Caravan Court, and RIGHT on the docks (though much of Dock Ward can be slow going for someone not large, ugly, obviously well-armed, and walking with a lot of friends).
The City Guard controls access to the city (the various gates, plus a harbor patrol) but the Watch commands the streets within the city, calling on the Guard for reinforcements only when there’s a riot, a pitched battle, or an attack on the city. (Watchful Order “magical reinforcements” may also be summoned by horn-call, whenever deemed necessary.)
Neither the Guard nor the Watch would ever establish a “sobriety checkpoint.” As Kentinal said, they don’t give a hoot how drunk someone is as long as they’re not causing problems (smashing things in shops, drawing weapons and trying to kill people, blocking entry or egress or safe passage somewhere, or brawling). The Watch has wagons that trundle such ‘trouble cases’ off to dungeon cells under Castle Waterdeep, where their release can be obtained the next day upon payment of a fine (you should see this ALMOST happening in Realms fiction, later this year). Kentinal is quite right to observe that (by and large), “the Watch is reactive to problems, not seeking to cause problems.” As he surmised, a noble would be helped home, but a commoner treated less kindly. To correct this a bit: a senior or female noble would be assisted home, whereas a rowdy drunken ‘blade’ or young male noble would (like a commoner) be hurled into a wagon and locked up for the night. For the commoner, the fine is punishment enough, and the blade is thus treated to humiliate (and fine) his family, in hopes that his parents would teach him a lesson.
The City Guard at the gates routinely inspects the contents of wagons (but of course, due to the sheer volume of goods, they can’t do each wagon thoroughly, or every wagon - - so yes, they do random spot-checks). The Watch only does so when suspicious, or as a means of hassling someone into moving a wagon they seem unwilling to move (“All right then, Master Thorgund, I guess we’ll just have to see what you consider so precious that it can’t be moved one wheel-turn! Right, lads, let’s have it all out and down onto the cobbles!”). Both the Guard and the Watch have the perfect right to do this. Yes, any contraband (or ANYTHING suspicious) will be seized, along with the wagon and its tenders, and ‘brought along’ to Castle Waterdeep for a full inspection (under the eyes of grim City Guard types with loaded crossbows, Watchful Order duty magists irritated at having their card and dice games interrupted, and so on).
However, I doubt you’d see Shou fireworks: Waterdhavian gnome-made ones, and Watchful Order concoctions, are far more popular in the city.
By the way, NO Guard or Watch officer is going to try to accept a bribe, and they WILL report all attempts to offer such. Nobles do receive more lenient inspections of wagons, but priests of Gond, for example, suffer VERY exactly everyday inspections of their wagons and carts - - and again, Kentinal is right: outlanders and known troublemakers will receive “hard eye” attention, while familiar local carters and peddlers will get a nod, a wave, and a quick glance inside the wagon. As in real-life customs inspections, if the person to be inspected holds out a sheaf of papers and eagerly says, “Here’s a list of everything I’m carrying - - PLEASE check it, sir!” they’ll often get waved past.
As for which festivals and holidays are the worst, that varies from year to year, though the first few days of Fleetswake are always bad.

So saith Ed. More essential Waterdeep lore, to go alongside Eric Boyd’s forthcoming treatise (and Ed and Elaine’s novel, too).
Your happy fellow Realms devourer,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  01:45:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Gareth, I’ll send your questions along to Ed directly, but I can provide a swift nibble at some answers right off the bat myself (as one of Ed’s original players):

Joke or not, I’d say Drizzt is the better bladesman. Durnan was pretty good in his day, but he’s OLD now, as far as fighting-men go, and probably wasn’t a finesse bladesman even in his prime.

No, Chosen aren’t Magisters, though a Magister can become a Chosen. I’ll leave the long, detailed explanation of just what a Magister is to Ed, but the short answer is “Mystra’s gunslinger among mortal mages - - until a faster spellhurler comes along.” The office is part of her “improving magic use” divine aims.

It’s not up to Ed what versions of his novels are released, it’s up to WotC.

And no, Torm and Helm the mortals haven’t become the deities of the same names, nor are they “secret identities” or undercover avatars of those deities: they’re just plain mortals who got NAMED AFTER the deities, just like many, many real-world folk who get named after famous politicians, rock stars, sports heroes, etc.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  03:28:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gareth Yaztromo

I was wondering about Magisters - is a Chosen a Magister? What is the distinct difference (this question has probably been asked before)?

There was a 2E sourcebook called Secrets of the Magister. If you can lay hands on a copy, you will find everything you could ever want to know about Magisters -- 'tis a wealth of Realmslore, from the pen of the master himself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  04:07:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
I thank for the reply concerning manors, it was useful.

As to City Guard glad I was close and only regret that I did not think of the Watch wagons and resulting fines levied.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  05:57:01  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Okay, dumb question time:

When's Fleetswake?

Thanks!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  06:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Okay, dumb question time:

When's Fleetswake?

Thanks!

"Spanning the last tenday in Ches, Fleetswake is a mariners' festival celebrating the sea, the sea trades that are thir livelihood, and the gods of the sea."

Page 28, The Adventurer's Guide to the City, City of Splendors boxed set. A personal fave among boxed sets.

Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  07:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Lady Hooded One,
I just would like to know is there any progress in Ed's pursuit after the TSR's ex-workers in Elturel's case? Has Ed already "hunted them down"?
Go to Top of Page

koka-bold lich
Acolyte

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  16:41:09  Show Profile  Visit koka-bold lich's Homepage Send koka-bold lich a Private Message
Hi and sorry for the english.

I'm very curious about what happened with the first imperceptor of Bane Stallac Benadi...

Two resourses (I don't remenber their names)give diferents informations about what happened to him. One say he and his philactery was destroyd by one aprendice converted to Cyric with the help of powerfull adventurers. In the other book say he was destroyed but his philactery not.

What reaaly happened with the banelich?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  18:02:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Alvurelve gave his/her thanks for your Srinshee info and his/her char has been playing a few sessions now.

"So we started our next adventure, and to my suprise it will not just be three of us, Parwyn's 2 little sisters, and his older brother will be going with us along with some 1/2 Elf. But I guess the more there are the safer it can be. After introductions were done we had a heavy hack n slash day, killing over 60 Drow ranging from 4-12 level, 3 Naga's, a Beholder, 2 Mind Flayer's with Minotaur thralls. We reach Maerimydra to find it in the control of a 1/2 fiend fire giant and the former slaves of the drow city. The only place that was not destroyed was the castle. We searched the city and could not find the blade. We ended up talking to the 1/2 fiend, and he says the drow have the blade in the castle because he has not run across it. The deal with him is his army will not kill us if we kill the drow in the castle, and if we find the sword we can keep it and leave without being harmed. Well lets just say I do not trust him at all. Some kind of spell keeps them from entering and doing it themselves. We ended the night(really the morning we started at 5:00p and ended at 3:00) with us resting in the stadium. That night Srinshee told me the location to find someone who can get us in the castle. Things were more detailed then that but thats the short version. We'll be getting together again saturday, and maybe sunday if work allows it, so I'll post on what happens.

After 3 more game sessions and 20+ hours of play we have successfully destroyed Irae and her followers, and Kurgoth's followers. We also have the Warblade and are on our way to Myth Drannor to start our search for the Baneblades of Demron, which The Srinshee asked us to do. I think I'm just getting played but who knows. The best part of the battles was against Kurgoth when Parwyn our Cleric did a critical death against him(house rule, if you roll 1-20=automatic critical threat, 2-20=automatic ctitical hit, 3-20=automatic max damage on critical, 4-20=automatic death) The DM was furious, he said we were supposed to get our arse handed to us by him."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  18:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Wasn't he the banelich from the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set adventure? He and a Cyricist undead were duking it out in the catacombs (and he was winning) when the PC's stumbled into the middle of it, if I remember. While the adventure details how to destroy him (if the PC's are both powerful and lucky), the suggested level for the adventure makes his destruction rather remote.

I always thought he got destroyed with the other baneliches when Fzoul sucked all their power out and gave it to Xvim. (Cloak and Dagger pg 16: "Hidden baneliches in Hillsfar, Phlan, Tantras, Yhaunn, Taubeg, and Marsember explode as their power is ripped from them.")

quote:
Originally posted by koka-bold lich

Hi and sorry for the english.

I'm very curious about what happened with the first imperceptor of Bane Stallac Benadi...

Two resourses (I don't remenber their names)give diferents informations about what happened to him. One say he and his philactery was destroyd by one aprendice converted to Cyric with the help of powerfull adventurers. In the other book say he was destroyed but his philactery not.

What reaaly happened with the banelich?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2005 :  23:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Ed about Religious Curses

The BOVD gave alternatives to the standard effects for the Bestow Curse and Bestow Greater curse and I was wondering if Specfic Faerunian religions had their own varients of the 2 Bestow curse spells?

I seem to recall you included a Steel Curse spell in Hall of the High King are there others?

The religions Id most like to see are

Bane
Shar
Malar
Kelemvor
Oghma
Tempus
Tyr
Mystra
Eilistraee

(You didnt really think Id try and hit you up for all 140 odd FR gods did you?)

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 04 Mar 2005 23:55:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  01:10:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I’m going to try tackling a query myself, specifically this one from Melfius: “Being a 'famous' (ahem) fantasy cook myself I'd be VERY interested in a list of imaginary beasts used in Realmsian cooking. Can I get a little help here?”

Melfius, this refers to Ed’s rejected DRAGON article “Dragon Soup.” It was rejected, years back, because the DRAGON editors of the time thought it was immoral to have recipes that used intelligent creatures as ingredients. As Ed asked them, “Huh? So it’s moral to murder them in order to steal their possessions, but immoral to cook and eat them afterwards?” (A paraphrase of their reply runs something like this: “Oh, go away. We’re not going to discuss this.”)
As I recall, the article included (of course) Dragon Soup, Baked Stirge on Toast, Kobold Hash, a Wyvern recipe, and a lot of other, more complicated dishes.
In short, Ed postulated that various cooks would have tried darn near every critter they could get their hands on, and have SOME recipe for it (even if it’s just adventurers’ trail notes on how to prepare crow or vulture for eating so one doesn’t just vomit it right back up).
Like the notes mentioned in an earlier post, my copy is inaccessible up at my cottage right now, and I know Ed won’t reveal the text of the article here because a TSR editor asked for it on a later occasion, so WotC now owns it and COULD publish it, in some form or other.
Ed has a quite extensive collection of “look back at medieval recipes” books, from Take a Thousand Eggs Or More to Pleyn Delit. He’s tried some of them, and has commented to me in the past that many of them are delicious (if you don’t care what damage you’re doing to your arteries), but that he’s no fan of the medieval practise of making savoury meats sweet (with sugar glazes and icings), and sweets savoury. He has enjoyed the “whole roast pig” on occasion, and various fresh-caught moose and fish dishes.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  03:44:08  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message
Pleased to meet you, Ed.
Out of curiosity, were the mages Amedahast, Baerauble, Thanderdahast, Jorunhast etc Chosen? Because they certainly seemed to live quite a while...Also, any descriptions of Thanderahast's duel with Luthax anywhere, because that is a duel I'd love to see. (while I'm at it: How did Merendil and Suzara meet their demises after their betrayal of Cormyr? Or in Suzara's case, Ondeth and his followers)
And finally, is there any detail to what happened to the Thayan Wizardess Brantarra and Azoun's son? Because if there was, it's completely slipped my mind.
And any plans to use our favorite Ghazneth Rowan again? Can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy (Lorelei Alavara too...hoping she's resting in peace with Thatoryl somewhere)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  04:02:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Melfius, this refers to Ed’s rejected DRAGON article “Dragon Soup.” It was rejected, years back, because the DRAGON editors of the time thought it was immoral to have recipes that used intelligent creatures as ingredients.
As I recall, the article included (of course) Dragon Soup, Baked Stirge on Toast, Kobold Hash, a Wyvern recipe, and a lot of other, more complicated dishes.

What Stirge are inteligent? I never knew that. As for selling Dragon meat in own realm the market price went down real quick when the Guard and Watch killed an Acicent Red Dragon .

Edited by - Kentinal on 05 Mar 2005 15:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  04:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
Captain Cormyr once again robs Ed of his chance to answer a question about the Forest Kingdom:

The Mages Royal of Cormyr (I'm speaking here of Baerauble, Amedahast, Thanderahast, Jorunhast and Vangerdahast, in that order) are not Chosen, but most certainly have magic in their blood that contributes to the family's longevity. As Othorion Keove said to Thanderahast (in Chapter 20 of Cormyr: A Novel), "You are the blood of old Baerauble Elf-friend? The blood must be thin indeed by now, though I believe something magical pulses through your veins, allowing you a long life as old Baerauble had."

The post of Royal Magician also carries with it a certain degree of power that has as not yet been explored in Realms publications, but it is not to the extent of that granted the Chosen of Mystra--nor is their longevity. As generations have passed and the duties of the Royal Magician become more taxing, the length of tenure has dropped dramatically; Vangerdahast was "old" far more swiftly than even his mentor, Elminster.

So, short answer: No, they aren't Chosen, but someone (probably Mystra) is watching.

The battle of Luthax and Thanderahast is not detailed anywhere. The fate of Brantarra's son is not detailed, either, but no one at all cared (he'd have to get in the back of a rather long line to claim the throne). Merendil and Suzara appear in Death of the Dragon (see chapters 33 and 37 for important scenes for each).

As for Rowen Cormaeril... we'll just have to wait until WotC gets around to discussing him again.

Okay, I'm done. We now return to our regularly Sch-Ed-uled Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  05:42:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
In Crusade, there was reference to Vangey having used potions of longevity.

Vangey's not the only non-Chosen who's been around a while... Mirt and Durnan, for example, are at least 120 years old!

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  07:09:26  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I guess that gives new meaning to the term "old guard."

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  15:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message
Not what I meant about Suzara and Merendil...I meant mortal deaths, not their final Ghazneth ends.
And the reason I mentioned Brantarra's son was that (Being half-Thayan) I doubt he's really gonna enjoy-or honor- waiting in that long, long line...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  16:43:10  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Not what I meant about Suzara and Merendil...I meant mortal deaths, not their final Ghazneth ends.
And the reason I mentioned Brantarra's son was that (Being half-Thayan) I doubt he's really gonna enjoy-or honor- waiting in that long, long line...
Yes, but in being Thayan, and a bastard son, no one is ever going to really acknowledge any claim to the throne he might have, because first are the legitimate Obarskyrs, then we have a whole slew of Cormyrean-born bastards, any of whom would gladly be accepted by the populace before a Thayan.

Apologies for not reading your meaning properly, Ethriel. Suzara lived out her days in Old Impiltur with her new Theskan merchant husband (see Cormyr: A Novel, chapter 8 and Dragon Annual #4). Merendil never actually died, becoming a ghazneth while fleeing from her assassination attempt of Prince Azoun (later King Azoun IV; see chapter 14 of C:AN and Dragon Annual #4).
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  21:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message
True, but my point is, being a Thayan and being Brantarra's son, he'd probably cook up some plot or at the very least, threaten Cormyr in some way (his mother definately instilled some 'you'll become a king one day' thing in him)
And also, how about Lorelei's afterlife? I DID feel some pity for her in the end...

And thanks for answering my questions, Garen
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  02:06:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Elfinblade, Ed’s going to tackle your various commodities questions separately, starting with coffee:

Hi, Stig! Yes, coffee is known in the Realms (usually as “kaeth”), but (aside from in the most cosmopolitan ports, like Waterdeep, Athkatla, and Westgate) it’s rare north of Calimshan and the southern Vilhon shores.
Its major sources are south and east of Durpar, about halfway up the east side of Anauroch, and overseas to the west (Maztica).
Sacks of beans from overseas are brought in to Baldur’s Gate and there trans-shipped elsewhere, mainly south to Calimshan and the Tashalar. These beans are large, soft (crumbly), and reddish-brown.
The Bedine of Anauroch call coffee “qahwa” or just “qaw”) and trade little in it, these days (post-reappearance of Shade; the surviving Bedine consume almost all of their qaw themselves). Through the D’Tarig, a tiny trickle of Bedine beans formerly reached Zhentil Keep, and thence Hillsfar and Sembia. This source is now EXTREMELY unreliable and paltry, though wealthy Sembian coffee-drinkers have bid the price up high. Anauran beans are small, hard, and such a dark brown that they look black.
The beans from beyond Durpar are usually known as “Thondur’s” after a now-deceased trader who for a time controlled the entire trade in coffee reaching Calimshan, the Tashalar, and the Vilhon. Thondur amassed a staggering fortune, much of which has never been found (thanks to his habit of establishing literally hundreds of secret caches, all over Faerûn) after he was publicly torn apart by a “pet” dragon some sixty years ago. The beans are now more plentiful and cheaper (thanks to the shattering of his monopoly), and form the bulk of the supply enjoyed in southern lands of the Realms. Thondur’s beans are large, have a pronounced cleft or depressed line running their length (making them somewhat like cowrie shells in shape), and have a bluish tint to their chestnut brown colour.

Although the coffees available in the Realms vary from place to place with the precise species of trees, they’re all derived the same way: the stunted mountainside coffee trees yielding beans that are dried in the sun (usually on rocks), sewn into sacks, and shipped long distances to consumers who grind the beans just before brewing. The sacks of beans are put into coffin-like (and battered, because they’re re-used over and over) crates for wagon-travel or barge trips, and the sacks are tossed loose into ship hulls, so they can be arranged evenly (as stable ballast).
It should be noted that coffee is drunk black in Calimshan and the Tashalar (its taste often altered with dried, ground nuts and roots, even “dusts” as strong as ginger), but in Sembia is usually mixed with melted chocolate and/or “cordials” (liqueurs).
Cider mugs are usually used for coffee-drinking in northerly places, but in the south small palm-sized bowls with outflaring tops and ‘drinking spouts’ (looking rather like a small real-life china Victorian cream jug, only one drinks coffee from the narrow shovel-spout rather than pouring the cream out of it) are favoured. These are known formally as “kavvar” or colloquially as just “cups,” and coffee is usually formally called “kaeth” and colloquially known as “fireswallow.” Bad coffee will be described with any handy oath in northern lands, but in the South there’s a word for crappy coffee: “ortulag” (“OR-tul-lag”), which derives from a now-defunct dialect word meaning “warmed-over chamberpot rinse.”
Hope this is of help. Tea next time, I think.

So saith Ed. Essential Realmslore for many. Onward! (Keep on swimming, keep on swimming . . .)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Antareana
Seeker

Germany
59 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  22:16:26  Show Profile  Visit Antareana's Homepage Send Antareana a Private Message
Hi there,

just one little question to Ed of the Greenwood:
might I get some information about Milil and his clergy?

I'm a huge fan of the Lord of song, bt there's very few infos on him besides Faiths and Avatars

thanks

It is all just a past and future secret

Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2005 :  23:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message
Hey Ed (and All),

Just wondering if there was any other additional information on Mage Fairs, other than the basics in the novels, and in your previous answers. I am running a troupe of wizards, and feel there would be a wealth of role playing experiences for them. More specifically:

-Do certain countries or cities ban them, and if so which?
-Any "big names" show up at them, or are they too amateur-ish for them? (I'm picturing something like conventions, with autograph booths, demonstrations, lectures, etc... Funny, I thought.)
-Any type of wardings or restrictions set about the grounds?
-Any delightful past anecdotes from infamous Mage Fairs?
-Is anyone (or group) of people actually in charge of sponsoring or putting on the event?

Thanks for your time, and if these have been answered before, please ignore and direct me to the right link....Thanks!

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  00:57:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Whilst waiting for Ed's answer to Haman's question I've a question for him (Haman, not Ed). Have you read Ed's short story Elmister at the Magefair (or some such, I'm bad at names and it's 2 in the night here) which appears in one of the Realms of... anthologies?

Realms of Magic would be the logical place to start looking I guess.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2005 :  00:57:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Haman

Hey Ed (and All),

Just wondering if there was any other additional information on Mage Fairs, other than the basics in the novels, and in your previous answers. I am running a troupe of wizards, and feel there would be a wealth of role playing experiences for them.

There's some info in 3e's Magic of Faerun.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 70 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000