Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2005)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2005 :  18:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message
I have a teensy, rather odd and inane question for yourself and Mr. Greenwood.

In Volo's various guidebooks, recipes from inns are listed. Now although I am a passable cook, I'm wondering if Ed or any of you have actually ever made or eaten these recipes... since they're described in numerous passages as being quite yummy.

Just rather curious.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  02:00:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring Ed’s swift reply to Mr. Wilson:

I’m not surprised you found nothing in TSR sources about gestation periods of halflings. Fertility, birthing details, and such were all part of the ghost-aura “we don’t talk about such things” that surrounded the absolute prohibitions of the Code of Ethics (I once had a DRAGON article about matters Arthurian rejected because I was told the word “lovers” could not be used to explain the legend of Arthur falling out with Lancelot over Guinevre). I recall (on one of my annual GenCon-time visits to the TSR offices) being told the horror stories of how two particular someones had put a section on dragon courtship and mating into the (original, 2e) DRACONOMICON, and how it had been hastily ripped out (“What were they THINKING?”). I recall at the time thinking to myself, “What’s all the fuss? Such details SHOULD be in such a sourcebook. Even more so in anything that purports to be a “Complete Guide” to any race.
[If I’d been writing that original DRACONOMICON, I’d have made sure to explore questions like this: How do dragons mate, physically? Do they engage in foreplay (distinctive calls, dancing, anything my PCs could recognize)? Are they VERY wary of the world around when doing so, or does lust or instinct or whatever take over and leave them barely caring about approaching PCs, or PCs carting chests of stuff from their hoards past them during the fun? If dragons lay eggs, where do they prefer to lay them, how many are in a clutch, how large and heavy are they, are they rubbery or hard-shelled, how fragile if a PC handles them, do they have to be kept warm to stay fertile, if broken can the contents at least be used by PCs to cook, on the trail, what can buyers tell about an egg (age, condition, breed) by just eyeballing it, and so on. And I’d remind any prudes that we’re talking about imaginary creatures here, so there’s absolutely NOTHING to be prudish about!]
So let us turn to this matter of halfling gestation periods.
Heterochrony and heterotopy are probably beyond the scope of the general D&D rules, and we’re speaking of imaginary creatures that we can “do anything with” if we really want to, but the D&D rules have always been humanocentric, and included whales and sharks and other real-world beasties, complete with reptilian, mammalian, and so on descriptors.
The observed rule in real-world life, among placental mammals, is that larger body size (which is also coupled to slower heart rate and longer lifespan) means a longer gestation period. The lifespan is the only possible complicating factor here; otherwise it’s pretty clear that halflings should clearly have a shorter gestation period than the human one (which averages shorter than nine months, by the way, even leaving aside what medical meddling does to that average). So I’d go for that 7 to 8 months.
However, halflings DO have a longer lifespan. On the other hand, their onset of puberty isn’t more than seven years longer, at most, than for humans, and only about four years later than many human societies (because human subracial traits, diets, and customs all play a part in human puberty onset). Moreover, the “deft, quick, agile” racial traits of halflings DON’T go with lower heart rates (such as, say, elephants have). So we have one factor arguing for a longer than human gestation period (12 months at most, and more likely 11 or 10-and-a-half), and two factors arguing against it.
We can’t tell if these factors are of equal strength; if they were, it’d be pretty simple to determine. If we try to weight them slightly, we could probably do something like this: 9 plus 1 is 10 (lifespan), plus a half-point (slightly later puberty, and I say “slightly” because the range of variance is only very slightly larger than the ranges found in humans due to individual genetic differences), minus 2 (great difference in size), minus a half for the heart rate difference, and we’re back at 8 months (or so).
We can of course decree anything, halflings being imaginary, but as usual the D&D rules are flexible enough to give us an out, or rather to please everyone: in the Realms we (now, with the current rules edition) have Ghostwise, Lightfoot, and Strongheart halflings. This allows us to give a range of gestation periods, and I’d plump for the Lightfoots to be closest to the humans they so often dwell among, and Ghostwise (the most reclusive) to be the most different. Otherwise, gestation period differences would have been noticed by humans long ago and been a clear defining trait of the halfling race in the game rules from the outset.
We know of real-world creatures in which pregnant females (almost certainly instinctively rather than consciously) can control the development of young within their own bodies until conditions are right. Halflings might have this ability too, but it could only go so far in concealing differences in gestation from humans, It seems to me most likely that Lightfoot halflings would have gestation periods more or less the same as human (perhaps a tenday or less shorter). Ghostwise halflings could have the ten- or even eleven-month gestation period if you’d like (which goes with their strong reliance on clan; the more immature or incapable newborn young are, the more tending they need), and Stronghearts could have the shortest (seven, seven-and-a-half, or eight).
Years ago, I did the Five Shires gazetteer for the Known World (Mystara), and that conception of halflings had darkfire and other racial magics; I’ve always thought that elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings could all possess fertility magics that control how young develop, when birthing becomes imminent, and so on. These, too, could become factors (although I’d also say that priests and elders of the races would control such magics, not adventuring PCs).

So saith Ed. There you have it: not a definitive answer, but Ed’s reasoning laid out for your choice. Ed and I both hope this is of help.
Also, to Mareka and Karth and others who’ve offered their thanks, Ed and I both say: You’re welcome, ’twas our pleasure, ask anything anytime!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  03:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message
Ah, much thanks to the both of you for such a swift response. I don't mind the lack of clarity on the subject, as I'm sure WoTC would frown on such a definitive answer.

I tend to agree with Ed on his statements, and will plan on an 7 1/2 month gestation period for my player's strong heart halfling.

Thanks again for such a quick response.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  05:20:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
I take it this response

"Regarding the Witch-Lords, I’m afraid I can’t say a single useful word about them at the present time. No indeedy. Not without screwing up something that will hopefully turn out to be lovely. You have read CORMYR: A NOVEL, right? And gleaned the tiny bit about the Witch-Lords therein?"

Was due to RAS new novel Promise of the Witch-King?

(yep I have read Cormyr and I hope we'll see some more "History" novels like Cormyr and Evermeet in the future)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  12:18:53  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message
Dear Ed of Greenwood,

Once again, it's time for me to disturb Your peace a little bit I've already asked these questions some time ago but in case they've been forgotten, I'll just ask them one more time. No offence, please

1) Has Ulgoth's Beard got any heraldic symbol or something of this kind? If yes, how does it look exactly?

2) I would like to draw Ulgoth's Beard map. Any tips of how should that be done?

Besides that, I've got some question about Kheldrivver

1) This one is very similar to the first question about Ulgoth's Beard. Has Kheldrivver got any heraldic symbol or something of this kind? If yes, how does it look exactly?

2) Does anyone in fact rule this hamlet or it just like in Ulgoth's Beard?

3) Who owns "The Troll's Nose" inn? And is there any interesting story concerning the nose itself (like its origin)?

4) And the last question is very similar to the second question about Ulgoth's Beard. Any tips on drawing Kheldrivver's map?

If there is a possibility of this kind, I would like to have these question answered before my previous question concerning laws in Baldur's Gate and Scornubel, since the two hamlets are of greater importance to me at the moment

P.S. The Baldur's Gate map is almost done, so I shall post it here somewhere shortly. In meanwhile I want to present You with my article about Akadi. It's in polish language but You can at least have a look at the artwork I hope You like it. And here's the link: http://dnd.polter.pl/czytaj/487-Akadi.html
The uppermost is the symbol of Akadi, and going down next is Akadi's avatar (as a tornado), Akadi's priestess, necklace of Akadi's clergy and finally the last one is the stained-glass depiction of Akadi.
I would also like to show You how my maps look. At the moment I have only two but in few days Baldur's Gate should join them The mentioned maps are: Battledale (http://dnd.polter.pl/czytaj/261---Bitewna-Dolina-Informacje-Ogolne.html) - just click on the image of the map to enlarge it); and Hap (http://dnd.polter.pl/czytaj/296-Hap.html) - as with the map of Battledale, just click on it to enlarge it.

Edited by - Verghityax on 19 Feb 2005 12:39:56
Go to Top of Page

FoolishOwl
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  19:11:48  Show Profile  Visit FoolishOwl's Homepage Send FoolishOwl a Private Message
Lest I forget again, I wanted to thank Ed o' the Greenwood for answering my question about humans and how they see themselves in light of other races, and let him know that a certain cleric of Deneir, originally from Suzail but now residing on my hard drive, eagerly awaits answers to the other questions.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  20:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
A few quick questions for the Amazing Ed Greenwood and his lovely Hooded Assistant:

In Waterdeep, what times of the day would be considered 'rush hour', whereas one could expect to have normal travel time (on foot, or cart, or what-have-you)slowed down by increased traffic volumes? What would the delays be like? (How long?) Which parts of the city are more affected and which parts are less affected?

Does the Waterdeep city guard ever setup anything akin to 'sobriety check-points'? (Strange question, I know, but for some reason it HAS come up in my campaign!)

During which festival/holidays does travel become the worst (Like trying to navigate the French Quarter of New Orleans during Mardi Gras)?

Thanks for any help!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages

Edited by - Melfius on 19 Feb 2005 20:18:59
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4266 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  20:39:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Does the Waterdeep city guard ever setup anything akin to 'sobriety check-points'? (Strange question, I know, but for some reason it HAS come up in my campaign!)

Well I will offer my view on this one. A City Watch does not care how drunk anyone is as long as they are not causing problems or seeking to go into the wrong place. A fell down drunk in a poorer section would be allowed to sleep it off, most likely, though if might wake up dead draged off to a holding cell instead. The Watch is reactive to problems, not seeking to cause problems. There is no sobirity check as such, however anyone confused certainly subject to recieving attention of the Watch. A noble might be guided home a commoner certainly given less kind treatment.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  20:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
Would there be anything like random spot-checking of carts and the like for contraband? For example: On a holiday weekend where Shou fireworks might be popular, would they spot-check wagons of fireworks for smokepowder?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4266 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2005 :  21:11:16  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Would there be anything like random spot-checking of carts and the like for contraband? For example: On a holiday weekend where Shou fireworks might be popular, would they spot-check wagons of fireworks for smokepowder?

I do not know all the laws of Waterdeep, so can not answer this well. However in my realm, profiling would be used to decide which would be searched. Gnomes of course most likely to be subjected to seach for something like smokepowder entering the city or being in the city. Not sure how fireworks would work without smoke powder as far as that goes.

I can indeed see the Watch making random checks of carts or wagons if in the past there have been unwanted events occuring in the past. Those trusted and known would not be subject to seachers, the new comers of course would be until known that they can be trusted.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  01:27:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. FoolishOwl, you’re quite welcome, and I believe Ed has a reply almost ready for your literary question (his reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin will, however, arrive first, right after what follows).
And speaking of what follows, I herewith present Ed’s latest reply, this time to Ty:

Hello, Ty. Impiltur is very sparsely detailed, but I quite agree that it’s a “place for many rich high fantasy tales.” It’s ‘the OTHER strong royal kingdom’ of the Realms (being compared to Cormyr, of course), and just kept “falling off the table” over the years, when Realms products were being proposed. Jeff Grubb used to refer to this annual TSR process as the St. Valentine’s Day massacre, because it was around this time when all of the projects that had been “greenlighted” in a preliminary sense got “lined up against a wall and shot” until things were pruned down to what press time, editors, artists, and other resources were available. I recall that Evermeet “fell off the table” five years in a row in this way, and Impiltur never made it through the process.
As a result, we’ve never seen anything much of Impiltur in print, as you know, and I stand behind my lovely Lady Hooded (a nice place to stand, actually, he remarked innocently) in the assertion that George Krashos is THE lore expert.
So culturally, it’s different than Cormyr but at about the same level. Take Cormyr, subtract the War Wizards and the Purple Dragons (putting in a far smaller and less competent army, but more hiring of adventurers as monster-patrols and town and VIP bodyguards), and make the nobles less numerous, far less fractious towards the throne, and more interested in ruling their demesnes well. The climate is slightly harsher and the farms smaller, with more rocks and frowning evergreens (hey! Your Black Forest! The Black Forest of the early twentieth century, though, before acid rain and human encroachment thinned it out and got rid of the bears and wolves), but otherwise things (amount of wealth, social sophistication, mercantile activity levels) are about the same.
Impiltur is another of the areas I’d love to detail, in depth, but we’ll just have to see . . .

Now, as for your more recent query about the recipes: I’m a “camp cook” (I can do about a dozen rib-sticking dishes passably well, cooking outdoors over a fire, but show me a kitchen with appliances that have knobs, or even a gas grill for outdoor use, and I’m lost), but my wife is a good cook, my brother is a professional chef, and I was raised by superb farm cooks. (My kitchen expertise is . . . doing dishes.)
Parts of each of those recipes are drawn from medieval sources, tempered with some modern chef-craft, and making some assumptions as to the taste of monster meats and suchlike (dragon flesh ISN’T a direct substitute for beef, for instance). So the best judgement of those recipes is that they’re a basis for a good cook to start from, changing the seasoning to suit personal tastes (because the seasoning is tailored to match the purely imaginary taste of the flesh of this or that monster). You might want to make a recipe just for yourself, taste the result, and modify accordingly; you may have to alter the seasoning quite a bit.
They’re not balanced meals, of course, because all the vegetable dishes (being deemed less exciting, I suppose) got chopped in the editing. However, I and many of my players (the Knights, including the lovely Lady Hooded) have made and eaten all of the recipes (substituting pork, beef, moose, kangaroo, chicken, turkey, and duck where appropriate, and various real-world wines and spirits for those of the Realms ), and we’re all still alive to tell the tale.

So saith Ed. Re. Impiltur: Sigh. So many unfinished Realms tasks, so little time. Re. the recipes: I’m afraid I can’t get to my cooking notes until spring (they’re snowbound up at a cottage in the Ontario wilderness), wherein I noted the alterations I found necessary to make the recipes ‘just so’ for my palate, but Ed’s right: you can use them to make some rough, robust dishes. My advice would be to grab some good cookbooks from a library on soups or roasts (as appropriate for what you want to try), eyeball some of the recipes therein so as to compare them to Ed’s published recipes, take a good hard look at his seasonings and decide what changes you think you want to make right off the bat, and then set to work - - and do as all good cooks do: taste and smell as you go along, and follow your instincts (and preferences) over what’s written. Have no health fears, however (unless you happen to use tainted ingredients, or undercook drastically): Ed didn’t want to include any of the recipes until he tried out a real-world equivalent on someone (ahem, us) first. And yes, we ARE all still alive. More or less, as they say.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  01:28:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

P.S. The Baldur's Gate map is almost done, so I shall post it here somewhere shortly. In meanwhile I want to present You with my article about Akadi. It's in polish language but You can at least have a look at the artwork I hope You like it.

Lovely artwork, I just wish I could read the text.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  01:33:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Have you tried copying the URL and doing a translation at:
www.babelfish.altavista.com
?
Ed showed me this "librarian's dodge" once. You have to select the right language translation combo too, of course.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  01:49:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Have you tried copying the URL and doing a translation at:
www.babelfish.altavista.com
?
Ed showed me this "librarian's dodge" once. You have to select the right language translation combo too, of course.
love,
THO

No, I didn't think of that--thanks for the tip, Hooded One.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  01:59:20  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Hiya Ed and THO,

As you know, or maybe you didn't, I've been making a database with basics about the NPC's from the 1e and 2e lore. There's a few NPC's I've been wanting to ask about to, hopefully, get more info on but I've been waiting and making a list and I was going to make a long reply about it. :) I recall a certain Wave Witch that really caught my interest but that list will wait until I get more of the sourcebook added.

Anyhow this one NPC caught my interest because of her name and so I decided to ask about her since it's one of the few NPC's in the back of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep that doesn't contain any realmslore, just a stat line.

So what can you tell us about Dessra of the Dark Desires? :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 20 Feb 2005 02:01:46
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  02:01:05  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
Okay, this has my interest!

Being a 'famous' (ahem) fantasy cook myself I'd be VERY interested in a list of imaginary beasts used in Realmsian cooking. Can I get a little help here?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  10:19:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
And another query to add to the ever-growing pile (better get an otyugh, Ed!).

I'd be interested to know if we have any names/titles for the various races in respect of rulers of places/kingdoms etc.

For the elves we have 'coronal' (and as you've told me before Ed, "lesser" rulers are 'laranlors' and 'laranlas') and we have a few human titles like 'qysar' and 'nentyarch'.

I'd be interested to know if the dwarves, gnomes, halflings, orcs et. al have any such titles and I'd also like to hear of any other ones for the human races - I think they just add flavor in comparison to using 'king', 'emperor', 'lord' and so on.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2005 :  21:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Another question for Ed

What occured in 267 DR and why was it named the Year of Banes Shadow? (Im assuming it refers to the God Bane)

Thanks in advance

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  00:56:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin:

Well met! Thank you for the nice words about my Realms novels. I LOVE writing them, and I hope it ‘shows.’ Now if only they’d pay me millions so I could hire someone to take care of all my daily needs and obligations, and just write books, eat (meals being brought to me, of course) and sleep. That WOULD be the life. Lady Hooded, arrange it, will you?
Enough wishful thinking; you’ve presented me with a lovely question. Thank you.
Yes, Azoun is a lusty sort, and literally thousands of Cormyrean women enjoyed his royal favours at one time or another. Although Filfaeril officially ignored this, she knows about a good many of his sportings, and guessed correctly about many of the rest.
As you’ve probably guessed, she knew what Azoun was like when she married him - - she was, after all, one of those only-too-delighted women at one time, and Azoun’s appetites, habits, and prowess were certainly no secret in the realm (among some young noblewomen, there were even games and wagers played about who would bed Azoun first, or when, or how - - and in at least two instances I know of, a noble mother and daughter compared notes about Azoun after the daughter proudly confessed to doing what her mother had done decades earlier).
Some husbands or fathers were probably angry or uncomfortable, but most of them were as proud of their kind, fairly discreet while actually ‘doing it,’ handsome, friendly king as his Purple Dragons and crofters were: they saw the king’s virility as something to laugh over and take pride in, a mark that ‘the land is strong.’ They called Azoun “Our Stag,” “THE Purple Dragon,” “The Royal Dragon,” and so on. Being cuckolded by the king didn’t ‘count’ as a stain, where being cuckolded by any other man would.
Filfaeril was always a proud and rather publicly remote woman, and got dubbed ‘the Ice Queen’ for her iron self-control and wicked-sharp tongue (when mocked by female nobles, she gave better than she got). Yet your impression was correct: she truly DIDN’T mind.
Part of this was due to her upbringing (knowing Azoun for what he was before wedding him; he’s just the most randy of a long line of lusty Obarskyrs; their ‘rutting reputation’ was part of the lore of the realm long before Azoun IV was born), part of it was due to her own character (she loves intimacy and the physical pleasure of lovemaking, and is a generous person who loves sharing, and saw no reason [given Vangerdahast’s careful and oft-applied disease-prevention and -quelling spells] not to share Azoun; she even, as with Tessaril, felt it gave her a much stronger personal bond with some of the women he bedded repeatedly - - and most of them admired her for this view, instead of sneering at her or thinking her a weakling or a fool or some sort of coldhearted bitch Azoun had to escape from or couldn’t get the love he wanted from).
Yes, she felt lonely, especially when Azoun was away for long periods of time (though she remained faithful). She felt VERY lonely after he died, of course, and allowed (the sage) Alaphondar’s many-years-hopeless-love to succeed in comforting her. They had NOT been lovers before that time, although he often served as her ‘father confessor’ when she felt very lonely, or horny, or jealous, and he daily sat in private with her and just talked (the Lady Hooded will recall vividly, I’m sure, an occasion in which certain of the Knights had stolen into the royal apartments, were sneaking around, and overheard Alaphondar murmuring the equivalent of phone sex to Filfaeril, who sat near him fully clothed and increasingly aroused. He brought her to orgasm with words alone, never touching her, and then served her a cordial! Torm of the Knights imitated him mockingly for MONTHS).
Yes, Filfaeril loved Azoun deeply, and he loved her. They were BEST FRIENDS first and foremost, and she was his favourite lover, and the one he “always came home to,” and she knew it and revelled in it. Yes, Azoun appreciated what he had, and yes, she was a VERY strong person, the strongest person in Cormyr after Vangerdahast.
Filfaeril’s strength of character, shrewd judge of the character of others, and swift wits made her a capable ruler, if she’d ever needed to be (right now, backing up Alusair, she DOES need to be). Her beauty and self-control made many men of Cormyr wild to have her, and she kissed many a man’s hand, stared deep into his eyes, and whispered, “My love for my Azoun, and my king, and Cormyr makes it absolutely and forever impossible that we should ever more than look at each other - - but if we could have more, know that I would welcome it, and enjoy it.” Sometimes this was coldly-calculating acting, to win the loyalty or friendly regard of an important noble, but sometimes it was a gentle favour to a smitten stablehand or page, and Filfaeril meant those words more often than she didn’t. She loved to look at men, but believed it was only Azoun’s right to touch. (And often, afire from the latest smouldering glances sent her way, she’d go back to Azoun, tow him off to the nearest bedchamber, and ride him fiercely.)
I wish I’d had the chance to really tell Filfaeril’s story in my Realms fiction, but such a large part of it has been romantic that the result would either be a “heaving-bosoms” Harlequin-style romance, or a torridly X-rated bedchamber-to-court-revel intrigue, and as neither of those fit what TSR or WotC publish or want to publish, I’ve never seen a proper opportunity. I still DO hope to show you a little more (of Filfaeril’s character, not her flesh) in future novels and short stories.
Let me just say this much about Filfaeril: Alusair Nacacia is considered ‘wanton’ by many, and most of them view her as “a female version of her father,” but the truth is she got the lusty side of both Azoun and Filfaeril, put together. (And you should see more of her in my fiction, soon.)
On other fronts: Filfaeril is one of the smartest queens Cormyr has ever had, and was much smarter and more perceptive than Azoun (and he knew that, and was proud of it rather than resenting it).
And if all of this sounds more than a little like I’m in love with Filfaeril myself, Rinonalyrna, the answer to that is: Yup. And proud to be.

Whew. A little WARM in here, isn’t it? I’ll just lounge back in my chair and remember Torm doing his Alaphondar imitation (snort; STILL hilarious, all these years later). Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, thank you for asking this. ’Twas a pleasure to cut-n-paste this Ed answer!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  01:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
WELL! Um, wow, uh....

Ed - Congratulations! You've made a pixie blush!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  03:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. Ed of the Greenwood makes reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin:

Well met! Thank you for the nice words about my Realms novels. I LOVE writing them, and I hope it ‘shows.’

It most certainly does show.

quote:
Whew. A little WARM in here, isn’t it? I’ll just lounge back in my chair and remember Torm doing his Alaphondar imitation (snort; STILL hilarious, all these years later). Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, thank you for asking this. ’Twas a pleasure to cut-n-paste this Ed answer!
love to all,
THO

You're welcome--and it was a pleasure to read Ed's answer. Please let Ed know that I enjoyed his wonderful, detailed reply regarding Filfaeril...and I certainly would love to see more of her personality come to the surface in future Realms fiction.

Regards,

Rinonalyrna

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Feb 2005 03:30:08
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  16:17:32  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message
Hello Ed and Hooded One,

I would like to hear about the Korinn Archipelago. The best lore is from N1 Treasure Hunt module and FR2 Moonshae of old (and they don’t line up on some points). I come away with the indigenous goblinoids and orcs being much smarter than the average main land cousin (being seafaring pirates and all). I would like to hear your take on how their culture and outlook differs from the main land cousins and how they came to be there and thrive. I would also like to hear of the rare spices from the islands and the people that live there and how they interact and think of the peoples and merchants of the main land (and some interesting loose threads and rumors of course ).

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  16:45:06  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Ed, or THO,

This poster, over on the WOTC boards, is trying to get some help with his topic. Could maybe Ed rush this? It's not for me and I'm just being the go between. I think Ed might get a chuckle out of this also.

Alurvelve posted on the WOTC boards: "Our three elves who happen to be extremely talented/lucky in everything that they do have just recently had contact with the Lady Srinshee. She came to us in some kind of ghostly form telling us to continue where the people stoped. There is some other info, but it ends with her telling us where go to find the Warblade. She wants us to retrieve it and gather an army for the coming darkness. Now we are to search for the Warblade and gather an army. Naturally Alurvelve fell in love with her and is trying to win her affection. The only problem is how do you seduce someone you've heard legends about your whole life. I can't really walk up to her like the average bar maid look her up and down and say "how you doin" and expect her to fall in my arms like all the others If you look at the skills I can be pretty charming (Bluff +10, Craft calligraphy +12, Diplomacy +16, Knowledge nobility royalty +14, Peform Sing +10, Dance +10, Poetry +10, Sense Motive +10) but I do not want just the rolls to win me the Srinshee. I do not know how to get a hold of her, I've never seen her in person, the only thing I can think of is to first get the Warblade so I can see her again hopefully and try to woo her with some well placed compliments. But what to do to stand out from the rest of the people who have tried throughout her 2,000 some odd years of exsistance? The thing is when it was bar maids, or elf maidens, it was just for fun, no strings. But now he has this feeling and it won't go away. Whats going to suck is that I'm going to bite off more than I can chew trying to impress her. Ahhh somebody help."

So if Ed could give his thoughts on how a PC could woo the Srinshee for this poor player who is struggling, I think he'd appreciate it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29648 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2005 :  23:47:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

So if Ed could give his thoughts on how a PC could woo the Srinshee for this poor player who is struggling, I think he'd appreciate it.

I'll give that player points for undertaking that particular quest.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2005 :  00:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage  Send Melfius an AOL message Send Melfius a Private Message
Wow, talk about a Holy Grail quest! More power to him! I would REALLY love to hear how it turns out.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000