Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FRing Complete Divine Domains
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  19:40:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I know that I, for one, don't own a single 3rd party sourcebook. There is one I'm trying to obtain, more for the material than for game use. Other than that one, I've no intention of buying any 3rd party stuff.

What is this select one?

Faeries

Admittedly, it could be used for the Realms, but I'm not getting it for that purpose.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2005 :  20:34:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Faeries

Admittedly, it could be used for the Realms, but I'm not getting it for that purpose.

Yes, I recall that being mentioned by some other scribes. Good company that produced this work based on my dealings with them.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  08:39:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I know that I, for one, don't own a single 3rd party sourcebook. There is one I'm trying to obtain, more for the material than for game use. Other than that one, I've no intention of buying any 3rd party stuff.

What is this select one?

Faeries

I've been chasing this tome down myself, ever since Kuje first mentioned it to me. What is it's exact name though? Is it published by Bastion Press? In what year?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2005 :  15:33:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I've been chasing this tome down myself, ever since Kuje first mentioned it to me. What is it's exact name though? Is it published by Bastion Press? In what year?

Faeries: D20 System
by Bryon Wischstadt (Designer), Steven Schend (Editor)
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Bastion Press (April, 2003)
ISBN: 1592630014
List Price is $27.95
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  13:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

The Following Domains in the Complete Divine havent been assigned to any FR deities (BOVD and BOED where realmisifed in the PGTF) Which Deitied do you think should have these Domains

My Picks

Celerity: No idea
Competition: Lathander
Creation: Lathander
Domination: Bane (Does dovetail nicely if you take the Tyranny Domain)
Dream: No idea
Force: No idea
Inquisition: Maybe Bane?
Liberation: No idea
Madness: Cyric? (Although hes no longer Mad)
Mind: Mind Flayer Deity (Starts with I) and Deep Duerra
Mysticism: No idea
Oracle: Savras
Pact: No idea
Pestilince: Talona and Yurtus
Purification: Gods with Paladins
Summoner: No idea
Weather: Talos, Umberlee, Auril

Amaunator (now either dead or living under an assumed name) was the god of bureacrats and contracts, so he is a natural for that. Since "Inquisition" has very bad connotations, I would assign it to Gargauth. Gargauth might fancy the ideas of Pact, too, although it his nature to promote many agreements and then violate any of them when it is most advantageous to do so.

A truly fair judge for Inquisition would be Hoar, who punishes wrongdoers, but is more merciful than Faerun's Tyr or Talos; as it says, his dogma teaches his clerics to follow the spirit of the law, not the letter, although someone with a jaundiced view of what lawmakers intended may decide that punishing someone who hasn't broken the letter of the law but who has violated its spirit, is fair game for some poetic comeuppance., something Tyr would not tolerate.

Gargauth is a very fickle god for contracts, to be sure, but fickleness is common among deities. (Witness Sune & Adon, Cyric's generally sociopathic behavior toward his followers, Bhaal's dogma that he may be bought off from fulfilling his godly function, which included Death, and Tymora's distribution of good luck and bad luck.)

Another good choice for Pact (which he would undoubtedly politely decline) would be Jergal, who keeps the books for Lord of the Dead.

Force seems to be just a subset of Magic, so it fall entirely within Mstra's purview.

I disagree on your choice for Creation. That should belong to Chauntea, I think.

Celerity ought to be a domain of both Shaundakul, The Rider on the Winds, and Valkur, The Mighty Captain of the Waves.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 May 2005 23:29:51
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  17:38:20  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a god of revenge?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  18:17:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Yup: Hoar the Doombringer.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  23:25:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If anyone is interested in seeing a priest of Hoar in action, check out Lisa Smedman's Venom's Taste.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  01:26:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Khorne, be sure to keep your eyes out for the Candlekeep Compendium #2. There might be something inside that you will find interesting... .

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  03:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I would think would work:

Celerity is mostly a combat/movement domain that benefits Dexterity fighters and thieves, as well as gods that represent traveling.

Celerity: Shaundakul, Set, Eilistraee, Sharindlar, Erevan Ilesere, Baravar Cloakshadow, Arvoreen, Shargaas.

Community: The CD gives the Community Domain to the leaders of all the non-human pantheons, except, oddly, for Moradin. I think they might have dropped the ball on this one, considering that they “expanded” the gods for the core game in the “Races Of…”
line. However, since this is the FR gods, I’ll adjust the list. The domain itself is a nice mix of “diplomatic” spells that serve adventurers as well as community priests.

Community: Ilnater, Hathor, Berronar Truesilver, Angharradh, Garl Glittergold, Yondalla.

Competition is a rather fierce domain, and it serves a number of gods rather well. It’s spells lend itself to more martial deities, but I’m keeping a limit on all of them.

Competition: Lathander, Red Knight, Anhur, Vhaeraun, Haela Brightaxe, Solonor Thelandira, Flandal Steelskin, Ilneval.

Creation is…a somewhat lackluster domain. It’s given to clerics of deities who take pride in what they make with their hands. To me, I would think that these clerics would actually make things with their hands to please their deity, rather than just “poofing” it. Personally, I’d scrap the entire domain. However, if you want a full list (or just really want a + to conjuration spells) then here are my ideas. Following the examples put forth in the CD:

Creation: Gond, Waukeen, Geb, Laduguer, Moradin, Hanali Celanil, Flandal Steelskin, Cyrrollalee.

Domination, like cold, is pretty self explanatory. And the benefit is nice.

Domination: Bane, Gargauth, Set, Kiaransalee, Shevarash, Gruumsh

Dream is an interesting concept, but probably won’t fit into a lot of places.

Dream: Selune, Shar, Sehanine Moonbow

Force, like dream, is a very niche specific domain and hard to place. However, I’ll give it a go.

Force: Mystra, Tempus, Clangeddin Silverbeard,

Glory is a rather potent domain for combating undead...and little else. Why it’s the Glory domain, I have no clue. It’s granted power and almost its entire list of domain spells are centered on destroying undead. With this in mind:

Glory: Lathander, Kelemvor, Nephthys.

Inquisition fits nicely into a number of deities profiles.

Inquisition: Bane, Helm, Loviatar, Tyr, Lolth, Shevarash, Arvoreen,

Liberation is a great domain for chaotic deities, although it only fits in a few locations.

Liberation: Lliira, Eilistraee, Erevan Ilesere.

Madness is going to cause some odd choices from me, but, hey, that’s why it’s in a forum, so we can discuss it.

Madness: Beshaba, Garagos, Sharess, Talona, Ghaunadaur, Urdlen.

Mind: A rather useful Domain for thinkers. The CD also gives it to Olidammara, presumably for the Granted Power…so, following that lead:

Mind: Azuth, Mask, Thoth, Abbathor, Deep Duerra, Corellon Larethian, Baervan Wildwanderer, Brandobaris.

Mysticism is just such a great domain that it’s hard not giving it to everyone. The CD says that “Neutral, Lawful Neutral and Chaotic Neutral deities would never have this domain.” I can only guess that they are going for a more “tribal” feel to the Mysticism domain. So, with that in mind, I present two options:

Mysticism(1): Any deity that is worshipped outside the normal clergy structure, such as a group of nomads in the high forest who worship Mystra, may have access to the Mysticism domain.

Mysticism(2): Akadi, Gwaeron Windstrom, Grumbar, Istishia, Kossuth, Shiallia, Silvanus, Ubtao, Sehanine Moonbow, Baravar Cloakshadow, Urogalan, Bahgtru

Oracle is another niche domain, but a nice one.

Oracle: Savras, Thoth, Dugmaren Brightmantle, Labales Enoreth

Pact: Not as niche as it seems.

Pact: Bane, Helm, Kelemvor, Nobanion, Siamorphe, Torm, Tyr, Osiris, Cyrrollalee.

Pestilence fits perfectly in a few cases as Dargoth pointed out.

Pestilence: Talona, Yurtus

Purification fits in a few places.

Purification: Ilmater, Istishia, Aerdrie Faenya, Sheela Peryroyl.

Summoner. Er…? The “I want to summon stuff” domain. Fits any deity that has “Animal”, “Spider” or “Scalykind” as a portfolio

Summoner: Chauntea, Finder Wyvernspur, Gwaeron Windstrom, Lurue, Malar, Mielikki, Nobanion, Shiallia, Silvanus, Tiamat, Ulutiu, Sebek, Set, Lolth, Selvetarm, Thard Harr, Aerdrie Faenya, Fenmarel Mestarine, Baervan Wildwanderer,

Weather is pretty obvious.

Weather: Talos, Umberlee, Auril, Anhur, Isis, Aerdrie Faenya, Cyrrollalee,

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  09:04:32  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh, excuse me, so which classification is the Witch King god, Orcus placed under?

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  09:22:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orcus isn't a god. He's the Demon Prince of Undeath. Very powerful most certainly, but not a deity as such. The fact that cults dedicated to him often identify the Demon Prince through his "portfolio", doesn't help matters, and as such, some mortal groups on many worlds consider Orcus "a god". But technically, he isn't.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2005 09:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  09:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TymoraChosen

Uh, excuse me, so which classification is the Witch King god, Orcus placed under?

Please clarify your query. Are you asking what domains we think should be assigned to Orcus, or whether or not we think that he qualifies as Faerûnian gods? There is a debate as to whether he counts as a deity anywhere.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 15 May 2005 09:40:21
Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by TymoraChosen Uh, excuse me, so which classification is the Witch King god, Orcus placed under?

Based on waht I think of TymoraChosen query, I think he is asking which domain is to be placed under this god.

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  09:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think worship of Orcus actually grants spells right now. Or, if it did, it would be one of the other deities granting them via a deal with Orcus...which I'm not so sure is going to happen.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2005 :  18:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My bad.

Orcus does grant spells in the realms, according to Faiths and Pantheons. However, I don’t feel that he qualifies for any of the domains from the Complete Divine.

-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  16:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon

i think we must have a better nickname for
"Lawful Good"
than "crusader"

it may be insulting for us; you know the crusades were not that holy for muslims

They didn't have any problem with jihad; go an read about what happened in northern India during the 12th century AD for some more on that topic. {"In the space of a single day, one hundred thousand wretched Hindus were dispatched to grovel on the brazen floor of Hell...")
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  17:35:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not get any further in real-world topics, please.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  17:38:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-All of the members of the Seldarine, in Elves of Faerûn, take into account the new domains added by WotC in various sourcebooks, and incorporate them.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  19:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Let's not get any further in real-world topics, please.

Okay, sorry for any problems.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  00:50:16  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Click the following for a complete list of domains:

http://candlekeep.com/downloads/frdomains.zip

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  01:11:54  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Force...possibly Bane?

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000