Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Zhentarim and the current situation.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2002 :  23:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just want to clarify a few things about the Zhentarim and their current status. I seem to have lost track with 3rd Edition and need you guys help to get up to speed.....

1) Who is now in command of the Zhentarim? Fzoul Chembyrl and Manshoon? What became of Sememmon?

2) What is their reaction to the return of Shade? With the Shades stepping right into a major Zhentarim caravan route they cant be too happy about it!

3) I think i read somewhere about a change in terminology.... are the military arm of the Black Network still called Zhentilar?

4) Any idea of the Zhentarims current activites? It all seems pretty quiet to me....TOO quiet. Any plans to take Tilverton now that its been flattened by the Shades?

Thanks

Rad

Edited by - Alaundo on 11 Sep 2002 11:01:27

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2002 :  12:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only thing I know is that Fzoul Chembryl is in command now.

Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2002 :  13:40:51  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that they are quite pissed with the Shades blocking their route through the great desert, but if the shades ask for an alliance, I think they will take it if they can win something on it.

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2002 :  13:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has there actually been any canon response written about the Zhentarim reaction? Ive finished reading the 2nd book in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy a while back and have read a few FR novels since but so i cant remember if i read anything back then about any Zhentarim involvement.

Is it just me or do the Zhentarim seem pretty quiet and laid back compared to the old days? (glad to see that theyve popped up for an appearance in Shadows Witness though!)

Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2002 :  10:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you who are interested, I managed to obtain the following information on this topic:

quote:
Information supplied by - Dargoth Dread, Master of Bane

1) Fzoul, Manshoon got bumped off then his clones all went beserk, Manshoon later rejoined but hes no longer calling the shots.

2) There hasnt really been a reaction all though it has been mentioned that they may try and make a new caravan route through the Stonelands so they avoid Shade seeing as Cormyr is now so weak.

3)No idea

4) Fzoul wants to get the cities of Arrabar and Reth in Chondath so he can link up with the Banites in Mintar on the Lake of Stea. Theres also a chance that Zhentrium may inherit Scardale as Scylla Darkhope maybe the daughter of Lashan the last ruler of the dale.

..and also another Realms fan supplied the following:

quote:
Information supplied by - Masakado

1) Fzoul Chembryl is very much in command ,& it seems that Scyulla Darkhope has solidly entrenched herself in the role of his "right hand"

Manshoon "Prime" is an active member of the new Zhentarim (complete with new logo), but no longer carries the clout that he used to. Two other Manshoon clones exist as well: one is "Orbakh", the vampiric leader of the Night Masks, and the other is a nameless being currently hiding out in Undermountain, probably under the protection (and watchful eye) of Halaster Blackcloak.

Semmemon & his lover, Ashemmi, are on the run. Rumors say that the wizard is considering throwing his lot in with the Moonstars.

2)The Zhentarim are wary of the Shades, but really haven't formed an official stance on them.

They are waiting & watching. If the Shades openly disrupt caravan routes, there will most likely be open warfare.

3) From what I gathered, the Zhentarim is an open entity now, & not the shadowy, clandestine organizaition it used to be. All of the forces in Zhentil Keep are probably known as "Zhentarim" now, and the inhabitants of the keep are still "Zhents."

4) No word on current Zhentarim activity, other than the aforemention continued destabilization of the Stonelands, improvement of political / economic relations with Thay, the purging of active Cyricists from the Black Network, and further subjugation of the Moonsea area.

Thanks to Khelben Arunsun's actions in the Scepter of the Sorcerer Kings incident, Zhentarim expansion & agression towards the Waterdeep region has been averted for a time.

Rad

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  21:32:58  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How long do you think till Thay dectlares war on Hurreur.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Dick Shadow
Acolyte

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2002 :  06:43:24  Show Profile  Visit Dick Shadow's Homepage Send Dick Shadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my Campaign the Zhents are devoting a large amount of thier recourses in researching Smokepowder. This has lead to attacks on prospective "mines of salpetre". The reasons for the attacks are unknown and mysterious concidering the unknown nature, and make up of smokepowder by all not from Lantan. If the Zhents achieve thier goal of crating a stoke pile of the explosive they are in the perfect position to take the fight to the shades, or the world for that matter...gulp.

But when he steps in front of the lamplight he becomes...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  03:42:57  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good questions...

As far as I know (and as my other scribes have mentioned), Manshoon is indeed back in the Network, but I also believe he operates as a sort of figure head....and I am also sure that Fzoul won't be able to resist Manshoon's will....

Also, in a series of short stories in Realms of Shadow.....

SPOILER ALERT!!!!
The Zhents are actually benefitting from the presence of the Shades and are excavating a HUGE cache of magical weapons from beneath the desert....however, at the end of the story, a rogue runs off to alert the world (namely, through Khelben Arunsun) of the Zhents plans....so, we are left hanging as to what is to come in the final blow in the war with the Shades...

I have a feeling the Zhents will begrudgingly aid the Harpers and Silverymoon in a grand scheme to remove both the Shades and the Phaerimm altogether....we'll see...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  08:12:42  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also a potential split hanging in the air for the Black Network. Darkhold is mostly Cyricist whereas the rest of the Zhentarim are predominantly Banites. This is a powderkeg with a very short fuse. Sememmon is gone, internally the Darkhold Zhents battle for power and Fzoul tries to get a foothold within the Cyricist stronghold. We might yet see more and open internal strife between the core Zhentarim and Darkhold.
Go to Top of Page

reluctant harper
Acolyte

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  02:26:18  Show Profile  Visit reluctant harper's Homepage Send reluctant harper a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

There is also a potential split hanging in the air for the Black Network. Darkhold is mostly Cyricist whereas the rest of the Zhentarim are predominantly Banites. This is a powderkeg with a very short fuse. Sememmon is gone, internally the Darkhold Zhents battle for power and Fzoul tries to get a foothold within the Cyricist stronghold. We might yet see more and open internal strife between the core Zhentarim and Darkhold.

i found a non-canon irc chatlog between Eric Boyd, Sean Reynolds and others that hints at a split in the Zhentarim..

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/0322chatlog.html

ArthurQ: do you think the Cyricists can hold onto to the western Zhents or will Banite completely take over the Zhents?

<snip>

Eric: I think the Cyricists will probably take over the western Zhentarim and the Banites keep the eastern Zhentarim. This might lead to a huge crusader-style war between the two groups ... with Cormyr in the middle.

<snip>

SeanKR: As for the Zhent thing, most of the Cyricist are in Darkhold. They might self-destruct. But if they can team up with other major Cyricist temples (like the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse) they could stabilize. They might rename themselves and become a more chaotic trade power in the west.

in my Dalesland campaign the Banite (eastern) faction of the Zhentarim are concentrating on their control of the Iron Throne trading company, which is a major power in Sembian politics, and through them (and Scyllua Darkhope) dominating Scardale Town.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2003 :  07:17:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am familiar with this discussion. I believe it was also presented on the FR Mailing List as well.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  16:59:11  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All goes well: the resurgent Zhentilar, regrouped after their temporary defeats of the past regroup to engulf and overwhelm their foes. Orcish tribes and their ilk, surprisingly well equiped with zhentish arms, raid and harry the Black Network's foes. Closer to home new schemes are made across the inn's forums and the slave trade booms [for details contact Vallandar Arlandar Director of Slavery, Public Relations and sundry Other Matters at The Candlekeep Inn].

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2003 :  20:48:40  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yes, I am familiar with this discussion. I believe it was also presented on the FR Mailing List as well.

It seems like a pretty logical evolving event and more or less consistent with past developments as well. Darkhold was already slipping away from Zhentil Keep and Citadel of the Raven. Now they have a more legitimate excuse to really do so (as if those Cyricists need an excuse )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000