Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best "Middle" Novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Zelg of Cyric
Acolyte

44 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  09:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Zelg of Cyric's Homepage Send Zelg of Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TANGELED WEBS!! NO QUESTION IN MY MIND

"Even before he first walked the world as a mortal, Cyric had the will to resist the random call of Fate and make his own fortune. As his newborn soul stood before the goddesses, he cast a light upon Tymora's silver coin, blinding them to his presence. The deities never saw the coin fall, never settled their wager on Cyric's destiny. Thus was he born into the world without any fate save the one he himself could forge." -- from the Cyrinishad
Go to Top of Page

Decomp
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  02:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Decomp's Homepage Send Decomp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My choice, although not on this list would be from my favorite trilogy "The Crimson Shadow"! "Luthiens Gamble", a fantastic novel filled with rich atmosphere and one of my favorite characters of all time...Oliver de burrows! I have recently lost the trilogy and am currently in the process of finding it again!

But from the list....Wyvern's spur by far!

"so many humans...so few recipes"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  10:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Decomp

My choice, although not on this list would be from my favorite trilogy "The Crimson Shadow"! "Luthiens Gamble", a fantastic novel filled with rich atmosphere and one of my favorite characters of all time...Oliver de burrows! I have recently lost the trilogy and am currently in the process of finding it again!

But from the list....Wyvern's spur by far!

Well met

Remember, Decomp, this is a place of the FORGOTTEN REALMS, this Crimson Shadow tome of which ye speak, has no place on these shelves

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  15:55:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the reason "The Wyvern's Spur" was so successful as a middle novel is that it dodged the "resolve a substory, but not the overall story" charge in a clever way. The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense. Another way to put it might be as follows: If you didn't read "The Wyvern's Spur", you could just read Book 1 and Book 3 and, with one sentence of explanation ("Giogi went home and had a little adventure with Olive and a duplicate of Alias named Cat.") not realize you'd missed anything. Likewise, if you just read "The Wyvern's Spur", you didn't realize there was a Book 1 and a Book 3. In comparison, "Song of the Saurials" seemed a lot weaker to me, and I think that's because it felt you HAD to have read "Azure Bonds" to have it make sense.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2005 :  22:50:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I think the reason "The Wyvern's Spur" was so successful as a middle novel is that it dodged the "resolve a substory, but not the overall story" charge in a clever way. The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense. Another way to put it might be as follows: If you didn't read "The Wyvern's Spur", you could just read Book 1 and Book 3 and, with one sentence of explanation ("Giogi went home and had a little adventure with Olive and a duplicate of Alias named Cat.") not realize you'd missed anything. Likewise, if you just read "The Wyvern's Spur", you didn't realize there was a Book 1 and a Book 3. In comparison, "Song of the Saurials" seemed a lot weaker to me, and I think that's because it felt you HAD to have read "Azure Bonds" to have it make sense.

--Eric

I've always liked the fact that The Wyvern's Spur can be read by itself... By itself, it's one of my fave Realms novels.

You're prolly right about why it succeeded.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Iliphar1
Learned Scribe

Austria
133 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  19:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Iliphar1's Homepage Send Iliphar1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Beyond the High Road,

it was one of these books that made me stay in bed the whole night, just reading one more page... just one more...

'You see dead bones? ... I see an army!' Ezechiel 37
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  00:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense.
While I absolutely loved The Wyvern's Spur, I couldn't vote for it for the reason above. This novel, though officially part of the Finders Stone trilogy, is pretty much a stand alone novel.

I voted for Tantras. It's the only realms novel I have ever read in a single sitting. At the time, the ending was shocking.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2005 :  05:00:08  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it'd definitly have to be Beyond the High Road. In the Cormyr Saga, BtHR is where the story REALLY starts. Cormyr felt more like the stereotypical "middle" novel to me. It was just too slow. You definitly needed the present-tense story of the book but it seemed to drag on. I'd constantly find myself wishing a chapter was done so I could get back to the exciting history lesson.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  16:26:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

For me, it'd definitly have to be Beyond the High Road. In the Cormyr Saga, BtHR is where the story REALLY starts. Cormyr felt more like the stereotypical "middle" novel to me. It was just too slow. You definitly needed the present-tense story of the book but it seemed to drag on. I'd constantly find myself wishing a chapter was done so I could get back to the exciting history lesson.

I also enjoyed the past sections of the novel more than the present day plot. I'm glad the upcoming Waterdeep novel did not follow this format.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:48:55  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I join the leading force and answer Exile.
It's just hmm..combatible(sorry my english) with other serie. I agree with you Eric the 'middle book' is usually the weakest.
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  22:53:19  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I've never really liked Vangey, myself (or Vandy, as SB calls him ). I don't know why, but his character has never really grabbed me.

Vandy wasn't a big fave of mine either. But, I really liked how he was portrayed in the last novel. Perhaps it was the company he kept and his final path in service to Cormyr.

I agree with you. Heh Vandy.. He's sometimes a little boring in my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  05:42:29  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The middle Erevis Cale book really hooked me, even more so than the first book, and Farthest Reach also struck me as much better than the first book (not that it wasn't good).
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  09:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with KnightErrant. Dawn of Night was stunning! I never thought it could come close to Twilight Falling but it really blew me away and didn't have that typical "middle novel" feel to it at all.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  00:02:35  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Exile because I thought it overall was a good book. From the disenchanted Belwar to the craziness of Klacker. I thought the book showed a man (elf in this casE) and what he had to do to not only survive the hardshest environ known to Faerunians, but to survive a depression of his very soul. To retreat so far and still come back because of finding true meaning. It's a great story. I loved it!

Though to be honest... it wasn't in the poll, but I loved the Farthest Reach the most. IT was neat to see all of the powers of the Moonsea and Dalelands compete with a new power that was far beyond what they were ready for. Plus, the Return was the first book in a long time not to completely trounce the Elves of the realms. It seems that there has been too much of that as of late!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  09:04:26  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this was a very tough decision. There were so many novels that I enjoyed on the list. I enjoyed Black Wizards very much and felt like it did a good job of advancing the plotline. Exile was excellent. Almost a continuation from Homeland and a great lead into Sojourn. Streams of Silver is very sentimental to me since it was the novel that reintroduced me to the realms. Good story and continuation of the main plot. I really enjoyed Tantras. I think I read The Avatar series right after Icewind Dale. it was a little hard to get into at first since I was fairly new to the realms but I thought Tantras was the best book of the original trilogy. Here's where it get's really tough for me. I really enjoyed The Threat From the Sea a lot. I love how Mr. Odom describes the aquatic life and seafaring. This is one of my favorite series and made me a fan of Mr. Odom. My vote goes to another of my favorite series though. The Finder's Stone Trilogy really hooked me. Great storytelling and characters. I wish Mr. Grubb and Ms. Novak would grace us with there presence again. The Wyvern's Spur had it all. The continuation of the overall series plot while adding new wrinkles as well, humor, memorable characters, action, adventure..... I could go on and on. It is also the only novel that I have finished in under a day. Well under a day. It's that good. If you haven't read this series, I highly reccommend it.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  04:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exile was indeed a good book because it introduced everyone to the uniqueness of the Underdark. Drizzt's personal struggles were somewhat interesting but the encounters with Illithids and other creatures made this novel a stepping stone for other authors to write about the Underdark.

i.e. War with the Spider Queen

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2007 :  18:04:24  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Beyond the High Road, by Troy Denning, because I lost sleep because I could not put this book down and finished in one night (opposed to the normal length of 2-3 days for a novel of this length). Though I really enjoyed Siege of Darkness (it looks like only middle books from trilogies got included).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  23:59:10  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long-time lurker, second-time poster.

It'd have to be The Wyvern's Spur for me, too. Finder annoyed me, so he hamstrung the bookends of the trilogy; the middle book wasn't so handicapped.

[That aside, I've only laughed as hard consistently at books penned by Cunningham and the Cormyr series (which had the Wyvernspurs, now that I think about it), and that laughter in The Wyvern's Spur sold me on the Realms as complex, evolved but enjoyable setting worth investment.]

I have a large extended family, all local, and I related to the dynamics of the Wyvernspurs. It was a very human alternative to the Realms-shaking 1st and 3rd. A nice switch-up.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  04:26:22  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Streams of Silver is my favorite Drizzt book and my wife got me that book signed for my birthday.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2008 :  11:30:28  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Exile (for second time) in the Legend of drizzt series so i voted for this one...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  16:07:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the choices offered...The Wyvern's Spur...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2008 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can I vote for a book not in the poll. For me it is Dawn of Night by Paul Kemp. This book not only kept the action and story line moving forward but the ending was one of the best I have read...
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2008 :  20:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gee, thatīs a tough one, as always when "favourite novels" of any kind are concerned...from the choices given I picked "The Wyvernīs Spur", which added a completely different point of view to the trilogy and was a key requisite for a possible redemption for Finder in the final tome. Apart from it being a heck of a novel in itself, featuring the awesome Giogi and Cat (and the heartbreaking series of Daisyeyes), it really strayed strongly from the content and plot of the first part, but filled in many things to provide a complete picture. (Plus...cīmon, itīs to do with Finder...Iīm biased.)

If it hadnīt been on the list, my vote would have probably gone to "Under Fallen Stars" as it just added tremendous story-depth to a plainly awesome trilogy, closely followed by "Beyond the High Road" for much the same reason, and "Dragonwall", because that one provided a most interesting glimpse into realms beyond the "Realms" and had an extremely logical and consequent build-up, as well as featuring that "different point of view", this time how the Shou viewed Yamun.

As to what makes a great "middle" book...depends on the trilogyīs style of course, but for me personally, I want the plot to get deeper (answering some questions, but adding a lot more...more information on backgrounds and what makes characters tick, etc.)and the story to be true and logical in regards to following up on the first part. The "middle" book is there to set most of the pieces into place already for a furious finale. If there were sub-plots introduced in the first novel, do NOT forget about them, just to spring them at the reader before the end, but evolve them constantly. If it is possible to introduce new elements to the story in a sensible manner (be it new characters or a different pont of view), thatīs fantastic, but if it isnīt sensible, itīs critical miss and can kill a whole trilogy. Futhermore, the midle book should never just be "there", to simply cover the events between the beginning and the end,it has to feature key elements of the plot, too.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:22:32  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to agree with DragonReader's suggestion: Dawn of Night by Paul Kemp.
Go to Top of Page

J D Dunsany
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
180 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2008 :  13:38:06  Show Profile  Visit J D Dunsany's Homepage Send J D Dunsany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the ones I've read, I would actually have to go for Black Wizards, which expands what is laid out in Darkwalker... - both geographically and in the sense of character development.

"How content that young woman looks, don't you think? How content, and yet how flammable." - Lemony Snicket, The Unauthorized Autobiography
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2008 :  11:14:52  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in this order probably

The Wyvern's Spur
The Coral Kingdom
The Floodgate
Dragonwall
Giant Among Us
Black Wizards
Shadowstorm
Dawn of Night
Dangerous Games
Under Fallen Stars
Beyond the High Road
Tantras
Faces of Deception
Streams of Silver
Exile
Viperhand
Crown of Fire
Go to Top of Page

Danny Glick
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  03:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Danny Glick's Homepage Send Danny Glick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy heck, Quale, that's in depth. I was torn between Exile and Wyvern's Spur. Then I read the above post and remembered how great Dangerous Games was. Voted for Wyv Sp. And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  05:04:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glick

And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.

That's one of those odd cases where people either love the novel or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground on it.

I personally disliked it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 May 2008 05:04:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2008 :  05:42:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glick

And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.

That's one of those odd cases where people either love the novel or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground on it.

I personally disliked it.

While I didn't quite enjoy the actual plot of the novel as such, I did like the brief bits of "Utter East" info that was part of the story itself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000