Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psionics in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2006 :  01:39:27  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote yes, but like anything it depends on the player cause the mechanics can be abused. But then again so can anything else. Personally I would like to play one but have never had a DM who allowed it.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  20:52:26  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No....

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2008 :  00:48:26  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't used them since 2E...don't use them now...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  13:55:55  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always enjoyed psionics and one of my favorite characters was one. It definitely made for some interesting campaigns...especially because our DM seemed to forget that I was a psionic and not a mage.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  18:11:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What implementation? 2e with extras like The Will and the Way is kind of good. Except for telepathy handled rather dodgy way, though would be fine with number of tangents set per check results and number required set as a function of target's Int & size ("you can contact A'Tuin very old Zaratan, but, ah...").
3e variant? Tried to make it another magic, plus telepathic combat with "where to put that ability" and set aside to use between telepaths. Besides, in addition to a few old wince-worthy things there are "autohypnosis", astral constructs, talking crystals walking on ectoplasmic legs and displays. It's even more animesque than late 3.5 stuff. This won't look right in Realms, won't look right in Dark Sun, and won't look right in Thieves' World (which is why they used incompatible custom classes). I dunno, maybe Starcraft? At least it got glowing crystals stuck everywhere.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  18:46:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed ... while the rulebooks repeat their psionics-is-not-magic mantra countless times (even as they explain how this spell and that psionic power are functionally identical), psionics in 3E might as well be just another kind of magic. To me, psionics are redundant and not really a palatable flavour for the Realms (which already has an impressive variety of magics), while they are a cornerstone of Dark Sun and a welcome addition to Planescape. Psionic creatures (like illithids and many fiends) are far more fearsome in the Realms when they have an entire set of attacks, defenses, and powers other characters do not even understand.

Although at least 3E integrated psionics in a uniform way. 2E made an awful mess of things by rejecting, accepting, and revising psionics many times; a psionicist in Dark Sun would need to reference at least three or four sourcebooks just to list out the powers he could choose from at each level.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  19:32:29  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms treatment of psionics is sparse, at least in my experience - you have exceptions, like the Oblodra (which, unless I am mistaken, Kimmuriel is the only valid member remaining, K'yorl not really a viable threat to anyone at the moment), but they are just that - exceptions.

There is (was?) a game called Dragonquest, and they treat(ed) mentalism like any other magic - the 'College of Sorceries of the Mind' - and while I dislike the mechanics of the game, I do like the magic premise of how psionics were treated. The mind fueld the magic, but that was the catalyst for manipulating the same magic that a necromancer or elementalist would.

That said, apart from Dark Sun, no D&D game world that really supports psionics comes to mind. Granted, I'm guilty of using them - in an 'evil characters' campaign I participated in many eons past, I made a drow 'wizard'...in reality a multi-class mage/psionicist, that I wouldn't have created had the DM not allowed it. He is still one of my favorites, even though I'm disinclined to allow any player character PCs in my own games these days.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:37:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

The Realms treatment of psionics is sparse, at least in my experience - you have exceptions, like the Oblodra (which, unless I am mistaken, Kimmuriel is the only valid member remaining, K'yorl not really a viable threat to anyone at the moment), but they are just that - exceptions.
Psionics, or the Invisible Art [which is the term for psionics in the Realms--though it was noticeably absent from Player's Guide to Faerūn], has been in FR since 1e, it has just never been all that prominent in previous editions of the setting. Its apparent lack during 2e FR was mostly noted due to the fact that TSR didn't want two different worlds with a lot of psionics [the published DARK SUN setting was the main TSR setting for psionics], so psionics in the FR were put "on the backburner" so to speak.

One example, in the Ol' Grey Box, mentions that Illistyl Elventree has some degree of psionic power.

In 2e, psionics has a few notable practitioners, one of them House Obladra -- is covered in both FR fiction as well as the 2e Menzoberranzan boxed set.

Every other example of psionic characters in the Realms during 1e/2e can be gleaned from Kuje's FR NPC file -- some of which have developed mostly as wild talents. And take a look through Ed's compiled replies here at Candlekeep for his take on psionics in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  01:38:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's worth noting, too, that Ed does use psionics in his home Realms, but sparingly. Usually in the form of some characters having 'wild talents' [minor personal powers].

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  07:59:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen fewer than a dozen psionic Wild Talents in years of Realms campaigning, and I recall none of them were especially potent, heightened senses was probably best roll in the entire lot. Of course, I didn't allow any check for psionic wild talents until a character actually came into contact with psychic surgery, telepathy (illithid, Gith, Kreen, etc), errant wishes, psionic artifacts, or some other "triggering" psi phenomenom.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  15:34:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I allowed one of my players to use a psychic warrior (he multi-classed it along with a few other classes such as fighter, etc... basically to grab a lot of feats). Granted, the depth involved there was extremely limited (nothing like a full-fledged psion), but it never really caused a lot of problems in my game (in fact, when they met up and somewhat allied with some duergar it made for some interesting interaction). That being said, I like the realms with the slight hint of psionics here and there. It shouldn't be prevalent except possibly in areas with high Jaamdathi influence.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  16:02:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play in the 2e, and I plan to use psionics in my campaign only when and if my PCs contact eastern cultures, like those in the Hordelands/Kara-Tur (at least psionics for humans and demihumans, for I think it makes sense to let mind flayers have those "alien" powers). And even then, for the PCs to show some "wild talent" they would have to know and understand a bit of how psionic works (a fighter, for example, wouldn't normally think he even could try to use this "strange magic", since he never wanted to dabble in spellcasting)and have a trigger, just like Ayrik said. Finally, I'd use the MTHAC0 system (like Varl), for it is really WAY better than the original 2e psionic rules.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  18:21:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I play in the 2e, and I plan to use psionics in my campaign only when and if my PCs contact eastern cultures, like those in the Hordelands/Kara-Tur (at least psionics for humans and demihumans, for I think it makes sense to let mind flayers have those "alien" powers). And even then, for the PCs to show some "wild talent" they would have to know and understand a bit of how psionic works (a fighter, for example, wouldn't normally think he even could try to use this "strange magic", since he never wanted to dabble in spellcasting)and have a trigger, just like Ayrik said. Finally, I'd use the MTHAC0 system (like Varl), for it is really WAY better than the original 2e psionic rules.

That does kind of bring up one other option. In 3E, I wouldn't mind there being a psionically strong group on another continent/island. Of course, that was kind of done with Eberron. Said continent/island should be relatively far from the realms though. If this psionic culture focused on the mental side of the psionics, so much the better. To add a little more flavor, maybe they have discovered arcane magic, but its only in the form of bard & beguiler magic. Then maybe throw in the tome of battle rules for their flavor of "fighters with magic" instead of paladins/blackguards (rangers, fighters, and barbarians also being there). That would make for a pretty good plant on Katashaka if there's no other realmslore for there. Maybe the Jaamdathi came from Katashaka even....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  22:08:07  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I may be the only person alive who would like to use and see this ability used with ACTUAL characters. Aside from separate rule books, I think the idea of psionics is really interesting. Regardless of creatures or npcs using the ability.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  22:43:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a huge fan of psionics... I even made one of my Lords of Waterdeep a psionicist. I went further than that, with him, actually: his late girlfriend was a psionicist, his new lady (and Alias clone!) is a psionicist, and his mentor was a psionicist who took over the mind and body of the greater doppelganger that ate him, allowing him to infiltrate the Unseen!

One of the Hooks I came up with touched at least somewhat on a psionicist, and I've been fiddling with an idea for a psionicist that's inspired by the character of Azazel in the movie Fallen (the idea of a disembodied intellect into body-hopping is far from original and certainly predates that movie, but it was that movie that made me want to try my own).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  23:11:00  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of a Lord Of Waterdeep being a psionicist is both scary, and very clever! I mean, it works on more than one level of the characters story. Delving into minds to possibly uncover plots and secrets that could be detrimental to their agenda? Very evilly clever indeed. Also the story behind the mentor, pure genius! He was that powerful he assumed the body of the doppelganger and now has the ability (I hope) to change his appearance as such!

Definitely worth trying there Wooly, I'd do it.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  23:48:22  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use psionics rules from the 1e era with some 2e stuff thown in...otherwise I don't use them. I especially dislike the way 3e used them. Also, psionics is NOT magic in my campaign although it does tie in with magic on a metaphysical level.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  15:48:08  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach
Also, psionics is NOT magic in my campaign although it does tie in with magic on a metaphysical level.

As in mine, although common people do not know the difference and tend to call everything supernatural "magic". In my rending of Kara-Tur, however, psionic powers are known to some, and it is undefined if ki powers come from the same source.

I have there two highly psionic classes, the "ki master" (more akin to the regular psionic or to the "sensei" of Athas) and the "monk" (mixing psionics with martial arts in a sort of priestly organization). Besides, other characters can be wild talents. All 2e homebrew, of course.

EDIT: I've revised the ki powers in my 2e Oriental Adventures adaptation, and decided for an optional rule: one could use psionics OR a new ki power system based on the OA 1e. If one chose psionics, the PCs would be one-power wild talents, except for monks and ki masters. If the choice if for the new ki system, there would be one power only for other characters, and a power progression for monks and ki masters based somehow on the sciences and devotions progression.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 24 Mar 2014 15:30:11
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  12:06:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think psionics are pretty interesting. It would be great if we got to read more about them.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  12:57:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's worth noting, too, that Ed does use psionics in his home Realms, but sparingly. Usually in the form of some characters having 'wild talents' [minor personal powers].

We must remember that in 1e psionics were always a sort of "wild talent" power... However, its power progression was stronger than in 2e. I imagine most of the psionics in Ed's Realms were created based on these rules.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  14:56:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

I think psionics are pretty interesting. It would be great if we got to read more about them.

I'm sure that a couple years after 5E is intro'ed, we'll get another doesn't-quite-fit version of psionics shoehorned in. I'm a fan of psionics, but other than Dark Sun, WotC (and TSR before them) has never done a good job meshing psionics with everything else.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  22:02:38  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find psionics quite intriguing, but my DM refuses to allow psionics in his campaigns; not even illithids (or other psionics-using monsters) are allowed to use their psionic abilities. Actually, I don't know if this is true, as my group has killed every mind flayer (or whatever psionic monster) we've ever encountered in the first round of combat (one of the few things I like about being part of a group of power-gamers is how quickly we get through battles).

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 24 Mar 2014 22:04:01
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2014 :  23:09:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Agreed ... while the rulebooks repeat their psionics-is-not-magic mantra countless times (even as they explain how this spell and that psionic power are functionally identical), psionics in 3E might as well be just another kind of magic. To me, psionics are redundant and not really a palatable flavour for the Realms (which already has an impressive variety of magics)
First you take the version that breaks the premise and goes all loonie as golden standard, then you say that the very concept it, by your admission in the previous line, breaks is unsuitable specifically because of the way the only version you are willing to consider breaks the premise and goes loonie.
Nice juggling.

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

The Realms treatment of psionics is sparse, at least in my experience - you have exceptions, like the Oblodra (which, unless I am mistaken, Kimmuriel is the only valid member remaining
Technically, since Kimmuriel left his House for another allegiance, he is not a member (in formal standing), even if a descendant (biologically). Which is why he survived, of course. But yeah.
Also, in AD&D2 rules (during which Oblodra were introduced), magical creatures as much as surface elves have lesser affinity for psionics (e.g. halved chance of wild talent) - they tend toward developing magic. So psionic drow are an anomaly (a drop of Githblank blood? ).

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I've seen fewer than a dozen psionic Wild Talents in years of Realms campaigning, and I recall none of them were especially potent, heightened senses was probably best roll in the entire lot.
By far the best Wild Talent among the old canon characters is mindlink.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  12:50:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm sure that a couple years after 5E is intro'ed, we'll get another doesn't-quite-fit version of psionics shoehorned in. I'm a fan of psionics, but other than Dark Sun, WotC (and TSR before them) has never done a good job meshing psionics with everything else.

Psionics , when done well, can be very intriguing in any world I mean look at Warhammer 40k. It would not be half as interesting with all those psychers running around.
As far as FR goes we hardly get any mention of them aside form Kimmuriel and in the House of serpents trilogy. Which I quite enjoyed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  14:11:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Psionics , when done well, can be very intriguing in any world I mean look at Warhammer 40k. It would not be half as interesting with all those psychers running around.
As far as FR goes we hardly get any mention of them aside form Kimmuriel and in the House of serpents trilogy. Which I quite enjoyed.

I agree that they can be intriguing -- my love of psionics should be self-evident, with my psionic Lord of Waterdeep and my psionic version of warforged. That said, in D&D, psionic rules are usually a bolt-on, and don't integrate well into any of the settings (again, except for Dark Sun) or into the existing ruleset.

It's not a criticism of psionics, it's a criticism of their implementation.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  04:04:24  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If you haven't yet, read "Venom in her Veins". It has a powerful psion as a supporting character, and it deals with the criminally underused yuanti.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  04:05:55  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I forgot to add that Paul Kemp's books about feature a lot of psionics. If anybody knows of other FR books dealing with psionics, please let me know.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  04:47:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A lot? Hmm, not really. Off the top of my head, I can only recall Mags and the Sojourner.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2014 :  05:12:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

If you haven't yet, read "Venom in her Veins". It has a powerful psion as a supporting character, and it deals with the criminally underused yuanti.

Again, I was referring to how the rules for psionics have been integrated into existing rules and settings. Aside from Dark Sun, psionics has always been kind of a "oh, yeah, we gave you an integrated system for magic and swords -- now we're throwing something that's kinda sorta just like magic but really different into the mix!"

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2014 :  14:58:17  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In NIght of the Hunter Matron Quenthel calls the Oblodra (sp?) psionics mind magic.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000