Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ye Old Favourites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2006 :  20:20:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and swords, definitely.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  09:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My last post to this thread was in 04. After brief intervals of time away, I'm reading once again, deep into these forums/threads. Anyway, I've probably read a good 20-25 Forgotten Realms books since then (Some re-reads added in to that figure), and yet I still think the Cleric Quintet was and is my all time favorite, though admittedly Songs and Swords is moving up in the pecking order.

The things that appeal to me about the Quintet...Well, a searcher for his place in the world, and eventually finding it (I'm an agnostic, though for reasons I won't list here, my faith is growing), a pair of antic driven brothers (I have many friends like this that come in pairs), a beautiful and yet strong willed and tough woman (Just like my fiance that I know I'll spend the rest of my life with)...Etc.

The list goes on and on for me really. I think the Ghost scares me the most of any villain I've read up on. I admittedly cringed while reading some of the scenes involving him.

I really could go on in this thread on why, but maybe in a few years I'll redirect to it , and might have a different input by then.

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

boddynock
Learned Scribe

Belgium
258 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Visit boddynock's Homepage Send boddynock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the dark elf trilogies. It were the first novels that I ever read about Forgotten Realms. I really enjoyed the way the writer wrote about the live in Menzoberanzan.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  16:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finders Stone Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

Ateth Istarlin
Seeker

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  10:31:51  Show Profile Send Ateth Istarlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by coralleane

I had to vote for Heroes of Phlan... although I've read Icewind Dale, the Cleric Quintet, the Avatar series and the Moonshae Trilogy, the first FR books I ever read were "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Darkness" and there is *something* about them (and also Pool of Twilight) that still makes me want to snatch up my Bag of Holding and venture forth. It also has some of my favourite quotes in. ;)

~Coral

YAY see I am not alone in my like of those books! :)

Of course your not alone - I voted for the Heros of Phlan as well!
Although I have enjoyed almost all the FR novels I've read (apart from "Bloodwalk"), The Heros of Phlan seem much more like real AD&D adventures to me (most other books focus too much on 1 or 2 characters instead of the whole party).

The more I read about 4FR, the more depressed I am.
Politician - An elected official who tries to be all things to all people, while always looking out for his/her own interests first.
Go to Top of Page

gaasban
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  21:16:31  Show Profile  Visit gaasban's Homepage Send gaasban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed the Harpers series. My favorites were 4, 5 6 and 7... The Night Parade, The Ring of Winter (we need more Chult!), Crypt of the Shadowking and Soldiers of Ice.

But, I'm old school like that... I have not read many newer books that I have liked as much as the older ones.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  23:16:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaasban

The Ring of Winter (we need more Chult!)
Well, we also have the Jungles of Chult adventure module. See the "Chultengar" and "Samarach" details in Serpent Kingdoms also.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Aglaranna
Learned Scribe

166 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  16:20:18  Show Profile  Visit Aglaranna's Homepage Send Aglaranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm...I'd have to say that my favorites are the Cleric Quintet and the Harper Series. And if I had to choose one over the other...Harpers all the way!

"You can choose a ready guide
In some celestial voice
If you choose not to decide
You still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears
And kindness that can kill
I will choose the path that's clear
I will choose freewill." -'Freewill' by Rush
Go to Top of Page

Grehnar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  22:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Grehnar's Homepage Send Grehnar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While some of my old FR books have been, shall we say, 'recycled' the Icewind Dale series keep coming out for a re-read. Longevity counts for a lot.
I still keep "Darkwalker" too for sentimental reasons.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2007 :  01:59:44  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a difficult decision. I enjoyed the Moonshae trilogy very much and the Drizzt novels are what introduced me to the realms and got me hooked, Icewind Dale being my first series read. I am going to have to settle for a tie between the Songs and Swords series and the Finder's Stone trilogy and it's spin offs. Both were very well written and kept me engrossed throughtout. I can still remember each series very fondly. Both series flew by in the time it took me to read them. I averaged just under 3 days for each book in Songs and Swords series and finished the entire Finder's stone trilogy in under 5 days!!!!! What stands out to me about each series is the characterization and humor. Both go a long way towards enjoyment of a novel I think.
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  18:53:53  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This Koz guy seems to know what he's talking about. Song and Swords and Finder's Stone. These are the standards that other authors should strive to achieve. My apoligies to Paul Kemp and Lisa Smedman as their trilogies are epic in their own rite. I feel as though I cannot give positive accolades to RAS on these boards because of the strong anti-Drizzt sentiment that exists in this community. Otherwise I'd have Dark Elf and Icewind Dale up near the top.
Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  04:34:53  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Quajack. I'm still a newbie here so hearing that someone with more knowledge than me agrees with my thoughts is high praise indeed. I also mean no disrespect to the current authors. In fact my favorite realms novel isn't in either of my two favorite series. That honor goes to Richard Baker's The City of Ravens. Jack Ravenswild has to be the most memorable character in any realms novel I have read IMHO. I do think that today's authors are doing a fine job of "carrying the torch" so to speak. Songs and Swords and The Finder's Stone set the bar very high but also set a very solid foundation for future authors. Here's hoping the bar continues to be pushed ever higher.

Edited by - koz on 23 Jan 2007 07:53:34
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:50:15  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have read very few series and atm i have finshed all of the Drizzt books, the sellswords, almost done with year of the rogue dragons, and i am almost done with cormyr. PLEASE tell me what a good series is!!

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  07:01:26  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that would depend on your taste wouldn't it? Therefore I will try to answer more in line with general popularity and withhold a few of my own favorites. The Song & Sword books are generally well liked by everyone, the Finders Stone trilogy also, bare in mind that that one is out of print. The Sembia books and Erevis Cale books are also liked by most. The rest is much a matter of personal taste. If you enjoyed the Cormyr books and feel like more Greenwood I would suggest the Elminster series or the Shandril books.
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the Icewind Dale trilogy was the first series I read in FR and thats what got me into it. However I enjoyed the Dark Elf trilogy more than the Icewind Dale one.

Overall you can't go wrong with Elminster. Elminster in Hell is one of my all-time favorite novels.

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  13:52:25  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to go with the Elminster series or the Avatar series.

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Zarithar
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  16:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Zarithar's Homepage Send Zarithar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to go with Icewind Dale. I love Salvatore's earlier writing. I see Song and Swords ranking quite highly, and I'll have to check that out. One of my problems with many of the Realms novels I have read (and Dragonlance as well) is that the writing is sub-par and cliche. I'm looking for something to break that trend.
Go to Top of Page

ajfurst
Acolyte

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2008 :  01:49:36  Show Profile  Visit ajfurst's Homepage Send ajfurst a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone with the Finders Stone Trilogy. Though you get the impression half of those ones were never planned as trilogies at the start, but the first books were too popular.

Ie. my favourite 3 FR books, that when I've read what I've got and short of cash for something new I can re-read happily for the 37th time are 'Azure Bonds', 'The Crystal Shard' and 'Pools of Radiance'. I don't feel compelled to finish the trilogies when I do. Where as if I read something like 'Return of the Archwizards' or 'Avatar Trilogy' stopping at book 1 really can't be done.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2008 :  07:44:53  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dark Elf Trilogy

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000