Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ye Old Favourites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

coralleane
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  01:20:43  Show Profile  Visit coralleane's Homepage Send coralleane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
YAY see I am not alone in my like of those books! :)

You have good taste. *g*

~Coral
Go to Top of Page

Schala
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  05:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Schala's Homepage Send Schala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite set of novels by far is the Avatar Series. Where else do you get to see inside the minds of the gods? Not only that, my favorite character is Cyric and he is in every one of them. People probably think I'm warped, but I'm in love with Cyric...

The Paths of Darkness series would be a close second if Spine of the World and Sea of Swords weren't so bad. Other than Prince of Lies and Crucible, Servant of the Shard and Silent Blade are my favorite FR books. I really like Entreri. How cool is he?

Devoted Follower of Cyric, the One and All.

~Death to all who oppose Cyric. Bow down before his supreme power, and yield to him the blood of those that do not believe in his supremacy. Fear and obey those in authority, but slay those that are weak, of good persuasion, or false prophets. Bring death to those that oppose Cyric's church or make peace, order, and laws, for only Cyric is the true authority.~
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  06:43:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schala

My favorite set of novels by far is the Avatar Series. Where else do you get to see inside the minds of the gods? Not only that, my favorite character is Cyric and he is in every one of them. People probably think I'm warped, but I'm in love with Cyric...

Yep, you're warped. But 99.75% of us are, so it's no biggie.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  07:44:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My favorite set of novels by far is the Avatar Series. Where else do you get to see inside the minds of the gods?

The opening of Evermeet: Island of Elves offered a nice chance to see the thinking of some of the elven pantheon.

quote:

I really like Entreri. How cool is he?

So cool he has a poll focusing on him. Be sure to offer an opinion in that thread.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:08:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For guilty pleasure reading, my choice has to be Ed’s Shadows of the Avatar trilogy, which unfortunately doesn’t seem to be listed here.
Of the choice offered here, Ed’s Elminster books win out for me over Elaine’s superb Songs & Swords offerings for three reasons: the Elminster books are more ambitious in their scope, they take the reader to more important events for the Realms, and in particular they introduce a fascinating roster of supporting characters along the way. There are dozens of walk-ons in the Elminster books thus far that I’d like to read full-length novels about.
I enjoy the Arilyn and Danilo byplay very much, but I thirst for more of literally a score of character relationships Ed very briefly shows us.
I’d also like to see more of Jeff & Kate’s books, but as this is a poll of “Old Favourites,” I must in all honesty go back to the books I delve into again and again, and for me, those are Ed’s first two Elminster books (especially the first) and the most recent one. ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER got very lightly editorially pruned of some nice “un-necessary character byplay” scenes, by the way, and someday I’d like to see it with those scenes put back. Full frosting on the cake, as it were.
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 27 Dec 2004 15:10:02
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:38:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER got very lightly editorially pruned of some nice “un-necessary character byplay” scenes, by the way, and someday I’d like to see it with those scenes put back. Full frosting on the cake, as it were.
love to all,
THO

Disappointing to hear, but not surprising. Do you know which characters were most affected by this light editing?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:44:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
El's daughter in a key end of the novel scene, Glarasteer Rhauligan, Myrmeen Lhal in a scene with Vangey, and our ambitious mage villain (in a scene with his superiors). The story still works without them, Ed was just showing us all "a little more."
That's his big fight with Realms fiction editors. They always want books that focus on one or two key characters, and Ed always wants to treat his entire cast equally.
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:51:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

El's daughter in a key end of the novel scene, Glarasteer Rhauligan, Myrmeen Lhal in a scene with Vangey, and our ambitious mage villain (in a scene with his superiors).

Damn, exactly who I thought it might be. Thank you for sharing this information.

quote:

The story still works without them, Ed was just showing us all "a little more."
That's his big fight with Realms fiction editors. They always want books that focus on one or two key characters, and Ed always wants to treat his entire cast equally.
THO

Perhaps the success of Richard Baker's, Forsaken House which contains a wide cast of characters will convince the editors that the reader is intelligent enough to focus on more than just one or two characters.
Go to Top of Page

Schala
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Schala's Homepage Send Schala a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER got very lightly editorially pruned of some nice “un-necessary character byplay” scenes, by the way, and someday I’d like to see it with those scenes put back. Full frosting on the cake, as it were.
love to all,
THO

OMG! I cannot believe they edited scenes out of that book! I don't particularly like Elminster, but that book wasn't too bad. I would like any book I read to be complete. I want the full version, now! Maybe Ed will come out with an unedited version sometime.

Devoted Follower of Cyric, the One and All.

~Death to all who oppose Cyric. Bow down before his supreme power, and yield to him the blood of those that do not believe in his supremacy. Fear and obey those in authority, but slay those that are weak, of good persuasion, or false prophets. Bring death to those that oppose Cyric's church or make peace, order, and laws, for only Cyric is the true authority.~
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:41:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I want the full version, now! Maybe Ed will come out with an unedited version sometime.

I doubt that would be possible any time in the near future if at all. How many FR books have been released again for an "author's edition?"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  05:46:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I want the full version, now! Maybe Ed will come out with an unedited version sometime.

I doubt that would be possible any time in the near future if at all. How many FR books have been released again for an "author's edition?"

I've not seen all that many fantasy books get an "author's edition," now that you mention it... Beyond Magician and now Prince of the Blood, I'm drawing a blank as to any fantasy novels I've seen get that treatment. So, sadly, it seems rather unlikely that WotC would ever do that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Dec 2004 05:47:03
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edited or not, but Elminster's Daughter is one of the best in the Series. And Elminster Series are second to none in this list - that is my opinion. And my vote for the Elminster Series

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one was tough. Avatar or Dark Elf. The Dark Elf trilogy was exciting to read, but I decided to go with Avatar trilogy because it was such a huge event and Cyric is entertaining in some kinda sick twisted way.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:04:58  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another old one Alistair?

Finders bane, Shandril, Elminster and Moonshae are all among my favorites, as are Song and Sword. I will go for Moonshae for purely subjective reasons.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I go with the Avatar series. The first realms novels that I read.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  18:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

not sure what you mean?

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  18:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

not sure what you mean?

I'm onlly 25 but yeah I like those old ones....and I like the new ones too.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  18:36:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I confused you Alistair, it was only a flippant comment about the threads you had resurrected; it was not meant in any way as negative. I had not answered them myself, so I was following in your footsteps topic after topic.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  20:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe!
I think that this was what you´re talking about, Jorkens.
Anyway, it´s good that Alistair ressurrected this threads. So, you follow their footsteps, and I follow yours.

Things will be very funny if someone is trying to track some of us.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 13 Sep 2006 16:59:16
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry if I confused you Alistair, it was only a flippant comment about the threads you had resurrected; it was not meant in any way as negative. I had not answered them myself, so I was following in your footsteps topic after topic.

Oh hehe....I hadn't even noticed....I was just trying to vote in all the polls and it showed up in Active Polls for some reason.

But yeah its nice to resurrect some old threads sometimes. It's like going through some old tomes in Candlekeep....oh wait...its scrolls in this area ;)

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2006 :  17:16:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Things will be very funny if someone is trying to track some of us.

Especially with me wearing high heels and you wearing bunny-slippers

Sorry, don't throw anything.

Edited by - Jorkens on 13 Sep 2006 17:17:54
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  03:35:15  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind slightly over Cleric Quintet

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  13:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Dark Elf trilogy... They hooked me to the realms and i have read them several times since. Love them.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

GMWestermeyer
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2006 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Visit GMWestermeyer's Homepage Send GMWestermeyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I choose the Elfshadow books as a series, but I think _Wyvern's Spur_ is the single best Realms novel ever. Really captured the life of Cormyr's country nobility.

"Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that is even remotely true."
Homer Simpson, _The Simspons_
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  04:30:22  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have a soft spot for The Crystal Shard. To this day I still want to run an adventure similar to that depicted in the book. Hmmm... might be time to plan a campaign in the North....

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  12:13:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Song & Swords definitely. Elaine makes wonderful characters and interesting plots.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  15:35:12  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah the battle of Mithral hall, and the defeat of the armies of Menzoberranzan is indeed a great tale. Legacy for me for sure.

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  18:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I had to pick a series, it'd be a toss-up between either of Elaine Cunningham's two series (the Windwalker/Liriel Baenre trilogy and Songs and Swords), or really anything Ed Greenwood has done.

If a single novel, I'd choose Scott Ciencin's The Night Parade. One of the best Realms novels and a great horror story to boot.
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  08:28:22  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Return of the ArchWizards
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2006 :  09:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Shandril''s Saga ( A vaste of time )

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly