Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ye Old Favourites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  12:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Vote for a FR Series that you loved reading the most.
Note: Those included in the list were published in the late 80s/early 90s. Series which began in the 80s but continued on by later editions were also added (it's not my fault that some authors decided to slack off until now to extend the series).

I see Alaundo has made a few changes here (can have up to 12 instead of 6 choices). Good thinking Alaundo.

Choices:

Songs and Swords Series
Moonshae Trilogy
Icewind Dale Trilogy
Finders Stone Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
Legacy of the Drow Series
Maztica Trilogy
The Cleric Quintet
Elminster Series
Heroes of Phlan Trilogy
Shandril''s Saga

(Anonymous Vote)

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  14:25:34  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewind Dale Trilogy since it is what drew me to the Realms. Love him or hate him, Drizzt has drawn in more than a few fans.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  15:41:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords, baby!

Though the Finder's Stone trilogy is a close second. I love the writing duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak, and I'd like to see more stuff from them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  16:04:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Songs and Swords, baby!

Exactly, that was the choice for me as well. Not even close. Nor will it be close as to which series wins. Definitely one of the two Drizzt series.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  16:50:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And there are, as yet, no votes for the Heroes of Phlan. I wonder why?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  17:14:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I know it's a defunct series/category, I was hoping to vote for the Harpers series, which spanned at least three of these votable series for at least one or more books. For sheer variety and breadth of talent, the Harpers series held much more than you paid for IMO.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  17:20:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

While I know it's a defunct series/category, I was hoping to vote for the Harpers series, which spanned at least three of these votable series for at least one or more books. For sheer variety and breadth of talent, the Harpers series held much more than you paid for IMO.

Well met

Indeed, Steven. The Harpers is one of my favorite Realms novel series. I voted here for the Finder's Stone Trilogy, but two novels which are linked to that trilogy is Masquerades (Harpers #10) and Finder's Bane (Harpers #15), both absolutely splendid books

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  17:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for the Finders Stone Trilogy, the writing and the story is very very good.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  18:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Cleric Quintet. That series will always hold a special place in my heart. The Moonshae I think would be a close second as that is where the FR novels started

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  21:28:22  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a hard one Lina, The Cleric Quintet just about won although I do not think that is was the best written series.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  01:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords, followed by the Dark Elf trilogy were I to have a second vote.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  01:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She didn't ask which one was the best written, she asked which one you loved the most

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  02:10:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't vote because I would vote for almost all of them. And to Wooly, I enjoyed the Heroes of Phlan series also and it is one of the rare FR series I reread all the time. The only one I wouldn't vote for on that list is the Avatar ones since I disliked the ToT's and those four characters.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Nov 2004 02:12:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  03:05:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I can't vote because I would vote for almost all of them. And to Wooly, I enjoyed the Heroes of Phlan series also and it is one of the rare FR series I reread all the time. The only one I wouldn't vote for on that list is the Avatar ones since I disliked the ToT's and those four characters.

Wow, that makes one of the few times we've ever disagreed on something. I can't stand that trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  03:23:35  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Songs and Swords for me, although I've enjoyed many of the others as well. I'd have to put the Shadow of the Avatar trilogy and the Elminster series somewhere in there, too, along with the Dark Elf trilogy, the Starlight and Shadows trilogy, and the first Moonshaes trilogy. But Arilyn and Danilo are still number one in my book...er, collection. ;-)

Ouch, sorry about the pun, it just came out as I was typing. Just want to add that I agree with Mr. Schend about the Harpers series, which not only added much to the depth of the Realms, but led to a good number of the other more popular and successful series mentioned in this thread, as he mentioned.

Edited by - Finglas Leaflock on 19 Nov 2004 03:30:41
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  03:31:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Wow, that makes one of the few times we've ever disagreed on something. I can't stand that trilogy

Why? I thought it was cool..... But then I played the games it was based on 1st as well... Shal Bal, Ren, Tarl, and I'm forgetting the other one were all interesting..... Phlan was and is still interesting. Shrug. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  18:19:31  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I think that there are too many choices.I liked them all,and had a hard time choosing.I chose The Avatar Series.It was my very first sereis that I read of the realms,and I have since read it twice more.For some reason I really enjoy the novels that have Deities interacting in them.Bane,Myrkul,The Time of Troubles,The Ascension of Midnight and Cyric to godhood.Not to mention the last two novels of the series.Especially with Kezef and Mask.Malik and Ruha.Cyric's madness and trial.Kelemvor finally acting like the god of death.Just an all around awesome series,and one that I always recommend to folks who want to start reading about the realms.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  21:11:17  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

She didn't ask which one was the best written, she asked which one you loved the most

I know mate, but I feel so guilty for not voting for the Finders Stone Trilogy it was excellent. Got the cash by the way, thanks and enjoy the books

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  00:28:25  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GAH! 'Tis a philological error most foul in the title! Oh, well.

I voted for Dark Elf Trilogy. Homeland is one of my favourite novels ever. Not so much as Elfshadow, but I haven't read that whole series (and have no immediate intention to read Thornhold).

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  00:32:55  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the Drizzt series not be one? I mean, the trilogies seem to be stand-alone stories as much as the books of the "Songs and Swords Series", and the Drizzt series has been continued in recent years.

Go to Top of Page

coralleane
Acolyte

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  16:27:06  Show Profile  Visit coralleane's Homepage Send coralleane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to vote for Heroes of Phlan... although I've read Icewind Dale, the Cleric Quintet, the Avatar series and the Moonshae Trilogy, the first FR books I ever read were "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Darkness" and there is *something* about them (and also Pool of Twilight) that still makes me want to snatch up my Bag of Holding and venture forth. It also has some of my favourite quotes in. ;)

~Coral
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  17:35:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coralleane

I had to vote for Heroes of Phlan... although I've read Icewind Dale, the Cleric Quintet, the Avatar series and the Moonshae Trilogy, the first FR books I ever read were "Pool of Radiance" and "Pool of Darkness" and there is *something* about them (and also Pool of Twilight) that still makes me want to snatch up my Bag of Holding and venture forth. It also has some of my favourite quotes in. ;)

~Coral

YAY see I am not alone in my like of those books! :)

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  11:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

This is a hard one Lina, The Cleric Quintet just about won although I do not think that is was the best written series.

I voted for the Cleric Quintet as well since it is one of the older series I enjoyed reading compared with the rest. But you would have to agree that Salvatore's improved in his writing style since then.

quote:
Originally posted by Arilyn742

Would the Drizzt series not be one? I mean, the trilogies seem to be stand-alone stories as much as the books of the "Songs and Swords Series", and the Drizzt series has been continued in recent years.

There were more than one Drizzt's series... The first series was about his time spent in the underdark, while the second was about his adventures with Wulfgar etc after he escaped from the underdark to make a new life in the world above. (I hope that was right since it's been a decade since I read either of the series. If not, feel free to jump in and correct me.) If they combined the two series into an Anthology then I might have listed them as one instead of separate series.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  15:57:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lina
There were more than one Drizzt's series... The first series was about his time spent in the underdark, while the second was about his adventures with Wulfgar etc after he escaped from the underdark to make a new life in the world above. (I hope that was right since it's been a decade since I read either of the series. If not, feel free to jump in and correct me.)

You're right chronologically. When it comes to published series, Icewind Dale came first.
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  21:53:24  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
If they combined the two series into an Anthology then I might have listed them as one instead of separate series.

No, they didn't. I'm currently reading the latter. It's just that you did not have the Song and Sword books as separate ones, when they are stand-alone novels, whereas each trilogy (I use that word word to distinguish individual ones from the collective Drizzt "series") of the Drizzt series has one flowing plot and would not be complete without all three books.

No matter.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  09:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

No, they didn't. I'm currently reading the latter. It's just that you did not have the Song and Sword books as separate ones, when they are stand-alone novels, whereas each trilogy (I use that word word to distinguish individual ones from the collective Drizzt "series") of the Drizzt series has one flowing plot and would not be complete without all three books.

No matter.

The first two in the song and swords series were originally intended as separate novels (as part of the Harpers Series, made up of 15 novels I think). These novels were later expanded and re-published as books 1&2 in the series. However, you do not have to have novels that completely follow on from one another to be categorised as a "series". Take for instance the Sembia series; in each novel the storylines are totally different but are linked to the other through one common theme: The Uskerven family's exploits.

I don't quite follow you on the Drizzts business. There are three distinct triologies which include Drizzts as the main character:

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halflings Gem

The Dark Elf Trilogy
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Legacy of the Drow Series
The Legacy
Starless Night
Seige of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

Plus The Paths of Darkness Series which came out in the late 90s/early 2000.

Hope that cleared things up.

-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  12:56:25  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised and disappointed that I didn't see the Shadow of the Avatar series in that poll. That's my favorite trilogy.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2004 :  16:40:32  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

No matter.

The first two in the song and swords series were originally intended as separate novels (as part of the Harpers Series, made up of 15 novels I think). These novels were later expanded and re-published as books 1&2 in the series. However, you do not have to have novels that completely follow on from one another to be categorised as a "series". Take for instance the Sembia series; in each novel the storylines are totally different but are linked to the other through one common theme: The Uskerven family's exploits.

I don't quite follow you on the Drizzts business. There are three distinct triologies which include Drizzts as the main character:

The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Crystal Shard
Streams of Silver
The Halflings Gem

The Dark Elf Trilogy
Homeland
Exile
Sojourn

The Legacy of the Drow Series
The Legacy
Starless Night
Seige of Darkness
Passage to Dawn

Plus The Paths of Darkness Series which came out in the late 90s/early 2000.

Hope that cleared things up.

Ah, forget it. 'Twas ne'er meant to turn into anything involving more than two posts. As I said last time, It matters not. I was just saying that each book in each Drizzt trilogy is part of one whole plot (the trilogy), whereas the series as a whole seems to be just a series of these trilogies.

The Arilyn and Danilo books, however, all have completely separate plots, and the series is more in league with the entire collection of Drizzt novels than with one trilogy.

Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  22:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am new here, but since I am checking these active polls, I will put my two cents worth in. The first Trilogy I finished in FR was Icewind Dale in the early 90's. Excellent books to start getting into DnD with. I have read them multiple times, and basically any FR books involving Drizzt are EXCELLENT! But I must say that the series I voted for on this poll was the Cleric Quintet. Cadderly and Danica, Pikel and Ivan, man I loved that set. I'm reading it again right now :-). My one and only real PnP player that I've run for any length of time was surprise, a Cleric, so maybe it fits ya know. I am looking forward to the Cleric series when it comes out, but I have a feeling it won't appeal to me as much as the Quintet (No offense to the writing parties of those books..Far from it as I will be buying them). But for a standard of Clerics, Cadderly was it for me. If I can ever find a gaming party around my locale, I will be running a Cleric. I better start looking for those FR Canon books so I can get up to speed huh?

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  06:59:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I'm surprised and disappointed that I didn't see the Shadow of the Avatar series in that poll. That's my favorite trilogy.

I'm with you Crust. Definitely one of my favourite FR trilogies and some of Ed's best writing IMHO - with a trilogy he didn't seem as "rushed" to get to the good stuff. The story built throughout the whole three books and was multi-layered, filled with lore tidbits and entertained. It gave the Avatar Crisis some FR grounding. Good stuff!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  02:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also agree. Shadows of the Avatar is by far my favorite trilogy. There have been other great ones (several are on the list), but that's the one I come back to again and again. I love the writing style and the characters, and the fact that we get to see Harpers being Harpers. Plus we also get Sylune, the Sister we see the least of.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000