Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Ruin sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  21:16:03  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember some members here mentioned about the demon Eltab would be featured. I would also like to see some other epic villains have a write-up. For example, a 3E one for Sammaster the Mad.

Lol. I think the "mole" is probably being tortured in the dungeons of WotC by a couple of illithids and phaerrims...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  21:47:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Lol. I think the "mole" is probably being tortured in the dungeons of WotC by a couple of illithids and phaerrims...

Nah, they wouldn't be that nice.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Wielding staff of NDAs no doubt as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2005 :  06:43:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Bullywug
Hmmm... You know, I've never used the bullywugs as creature encounters in my campaigns. Ever.

I wonder if they're inclusion in the CoR sourcebook will make me consider otherwise.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  05:31:46  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Champions of Valor is set for release in November.

Hmmm...I dont see anything listed about it on Wizards.com

James
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  06:43:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

quote:

Champions of Valor is set for release in November.

Hmmm...I dont see anything listed about it on Wizards.com

James

WOTC is a bit slow in updating their web site. Try this thread for the information.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  22:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Im guessing that there using CoR as another way to reprint stuff from Monsters of Faerun in 3.5 Format, I bet ya the other 2 races are from Monsters of Faerun to

Yes, one does get that sense. I'm still on the fence when it comes to CoR. I really only find myself interested in one chapter per this article's description with pershaps some mild interest in one other. The rest....

Out of curiosity, which chapters?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  11:35:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka
Out of curiosity, which chapters?

Chapter Four with its details on "misunderstood" organizations in Faerun is the one I'm most interested in.

Chaptever Seven with most legendary "misjudged" individuals has some mild interest. Depending upon who is listed, my interest could grow or fade.
Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  21:53:23  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The information on organizations and big bads are very intriguing indeed. The chapter with locations looks fun as well. I'm a junkie for detailed locations.

Running evil campaigns though. Has anyone ever had a lot of success with this? Most evil campaigns in my experience degenerate into either a reckless slaughter of innocent inn goers, or a party that just eventually destroys itself.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:00:38  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The information on organizations and big bads are very intriguing indeed. The chapter with locations looks fun as well. I'm a junkie for detailed locations.

Running evil campaigns though. Has anyone ever had a lot of success with this? Most evil campaigns in my experience degenerate into either a reckless slaughter of innocent inn goers, or a party that just eventually destroys itself.

Mareka, I've had the same experience myself in evil campaigns. Lol. When I used to play with my friends in an evil campaign, all the other players seem to think just because you play evil you gotta at least slaughter some poor folk or betray the people that are fighting beside you.

In fact, I remember one time, when there was five of us fighting a powerful group of assassins. We were all badly injured and just about able to finish off the enemies when the wizard in the party unleashed a fireball on the fighters in the group (myself included )!. Of course, that killed the main offense in our party leaving the wizard and the cleric defenseless to the assassins. Afterwards, we were all quite pissed and demanded to know why he did it. The player with the wizard character replied, "I had to do something evil. That was the first thing that came to mind."

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:13:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never run an evil campaign, or participated in one. I would imagine, though, that unless you had a group that had some sort of unity or group goal, then it would be hard to keep it going.

But, on the other hand, if all the characters were evil and had a unified goal, and weren't busy doing random evil stuff, then it could work. I hesitate to mention another setting, but look at the Knights of Takhisis in some DL novels -- particularly around the time of the Chaos War.

I think too many people equate evil with Chaotic Evil. I've no particular problem with the alignment system in D&D, but I've encountered many people, or heard tales of them, who simply didn't understand certain alignments.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Apr 2005 00:16:14
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  03:02:23  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have been able to run Evil Campaigns with to "good" effect, but mainly because, I say out front that I will not condone nor hinder Player vs Player. <Note: these are Drow Campaigns> However the Matron Mother, has ordered that the ranks are not to be thinned unless it proves to be for the better of the House. <Note: All PCs are Minor Nobles of the same House>

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:09:30  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything about Kymil Nimesin in this Sourcebook?? and other anti-Moonflower conspirators??

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  23:28:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still looking forward to the book, but why, oh why, of all the evil in all of Faerun, did someone decide to make a "from 1st level" monster class of the Draegloth? Did Jeggred have fans that I didn't know about?
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:01:44  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey All,

Just picked up Champions of Ruin at my FLGS in Denville, NJ...

Hit me up with any questions!

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:13:33  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm currently running my first ever evil campaign and it is going well so far (only level 4). The PC's are a member of the Zhentarim and the lawful nature of the organization helps tremendously. I ruled that players could not play a cleric of Cyric and that was my only stipulation. The whole group consists of mature role-players and I commend them on keeping it together.

However, I think this would be worthy of a thread of its own and I'll get back to Champions of Ruin.

quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

Hey All,

Is there any updated information on the situation of the Zhentarim or is it a rehash of old material? Is the Banite vs. Cyric tension focused on and is their any mention of Zhentarim action in a updated timeline?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:36:25  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane
Is there any updated information on the situation of the Zhentarim or is it a rehash of old material? Is the Banite vs. Cyric tension focused on and is their any mention of Zhentarim action in a updated timeline?

Thanks.

There are 2 pages of info on the Zhentarim. There is a very brief history and no timeline. The entry lists the Zhent's areas of influence, rules on joining the group --- it is mostly common Realmslore - a snapshot of where the group is today. There is one sentence about using Cyric priests as possible enemiies of a Zhentarium character, but there is no explanation of the relationship between the two deities.

- Ed

Edited by - edbonny on 06 May 2005 01:41:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  01:38:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey All,

- Ed

The Krash got me all interested on the Queen of Whispers... What's she like?

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ed!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo Hoo! just got mine from my store here in Austin!

I am very stoked! I haven't read much so far but it looks fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey All,

- Ed

*preamble of senseless flattery for the guy with the dark on things*

So what's the dirt on Aumvor the Undying, loosely who is he and what's his history that's given. I've only heard of a brief mention of his name before and that's it.

Also, how expansive is the material on the Elder Eternal Evils and the archfiends that get presented?

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Osieu
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:36:31  Show Profile  Visit Osieu's Homepage Send Osieu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey All,

- Ed

Wold you please tell me is there any new information about Sammaster? What's the Shadow Weave Node like? And is there anything new about the Shadow Weave(feats or prestige classes, maybe Initiates of Shar)? Finally, what's the stats of Aumvor the Undying?

Thank you very much!

Edited by - Osieu on 06 May 2005 02:39:20
Go to Top of Page

edbonny

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  02:49:55  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
The Krash got me all interested on the Queen of Whispers... What's she like?

Well, without spoiling too much, she's really cool - fantastic history. A fascinating fiend who works her evil from behind the scenes.

> Soneillon has nearly 4.5 pages devoted to her
> Lairs deep within the Giantspire Mts.
> epic level CR
> Helped a few kingdoms fall. Was there when Narfell fell.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  03:16:34  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy
So what's the dirt on Aumvor the Undying, loosely who is he and what's his history that's given. I've only heard of a brief mention of his name before and that's it.

Also, how expansive is the material on the Elder Eternal Evils and the archfiends that get presented?
Do you want hints or spoilers?

A few hints:

He's pretty old.
In fact, he is undying.
Lives in the High Forrest.
Has a cool history--a lot of history.
Really, really corpulent.
I am pretty sure he speaks Loross.
Turn-ons: Silver-haired beauties, tapestries, heirlooms, gorgon's blood & zombies.
Turn-offs: Dying, giant fungi, & Grimnosthtasdrano.

By the way, the Elder Eternal Evils are all richly detailed, comparable to what was in Powers & Pantheons. And they have 3.5 stats.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  03:57:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EDITED: My other query on Aumvor has now also been answered, although I'll likely have another question pending...

Edited by - The Sage on 06 May 2005 04:00:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:14:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I did...

Does CoR detail any changes to the line-up of the Vel'Nikeryma of the Eldreth Veluuthra -- aside from the changes we learned about in Lords of Darkness?

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Does CoR detail any changes to the line-up of the Vel'Nikeryma of the Eldreth Veluuthra -- aside from the changes we learned about in Lords of Darkness?
Hmmm... A change? Yes. It seems that Tordynnar's name is no longer to be found among the Vel'Nikeryma

Edited by - Gray Richardson on 06 May 2005 04:36:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:42:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

So who replaced him? Another baelnorn perhaps...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:46:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here's another -

The 'Vengeance Knight' PrC... Is it a class devoted to Hoar? A vengeful demon or devil? An arch-devil or demonlord...

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  04:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are enforcers for an evil organization in the Shining South. They might more appropriately be called Vengeance Knights of the Shield.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000