Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Champions of Ruin sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  10:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

Please discuss herein the upcoming Realms tome, Champions of Ruin. Eric L Boyd is one of the authors of the product, please pen any questions herein (if you're permitted to discuss this presently of course, Eric).

Eric, what level of information and coverage can we expect to see for evil fiends and organizations? Which organizations will be covered in this product?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  11:28:54  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My question would be:

How much benefit will this book be to people that already own Book of Vile Darkness? As from the blurb about the book it seems to cover a lot of the same topics as this book?

Ok thats an assumption on my part, as nothing about the book beyond that short description at wizards is known (by me at least anyway :D ).

Having said that as your a contributor to this book I'll be buying it anyway, as your previous books ahve all been pretty damn good.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 16 Nov 2004 11:30:49
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  13:58:12  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's way too early for me to comment on this book, plus I don't know all that much about it, but what I've seen looked very interesting. I actually contributed far more to Lost Empires.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  14:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

It's way too early for me to comment on this book, plus I don't know all that much about it, but what I've seen looked very interesting. I actually contributed far more to Lost Empires.

--Eric

Well met

Aye, well ye certainly know which scroll to open up, Eric

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  15:14:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

Understandably, Mr. Baker didn't confirm or deny what I'm about to ask you, when I last asked him upon news of this product first coming to light. And, even considering what you've said above Mr. Boyd, I must still chance the possibility that maybe you'll provide some snippet of information... even just a general "yes or no"...

Anyways... will Eltab be receiving any treatment in this tome?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Nov 2004 15:16:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2004 :  02:58:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Rich Baker noted this on the WotC Message Boards:

"Sorry, turns out I was wrong about Tyranthraxus and the rest of the Seven Lost Gods. Looks like they didn't make it in (as with many Realms books, The Book That Shall Not Yet Be Named had too many words for the pages available). I know for sure that Eltab, Malkizid, and Bazim-Gorag are in, as well as an Impiltur/Demonlands fiendish personage whose name I forget (it's not Orcus), and there may be one or two I'm not remembering."

So it looks like you are in luck!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  08:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am very much looking forward to this book. I am hoping to find all sorts of Realmslore within those pages regarding the fiends and planes of the Realms.

I am also wondering if the entry on Bazim-Gorag might not shed some light on the Limbo controversy. Neither the FRCS nor the PGtF made mention of Limbo, but Serpent Kingdoms made reference to it, seemingly re-canonizing the erstwhile plane.

My personal theory is that Cyric's plane of the Supreme Throne used to be called Limbo prior to 1368 when Cyric lost his divine realm in the Fugue Plane to Kelemvor. I surmise Cyric established his new divine realm in the former Limbo and renamed the whole plane his Supreme Throne in a megalomaniacal act of hubris.

But maybe the Champions of Ruin will give the true explanation--or at least hint at it.

Maybe also it will touch on whether Orcus is or is not a god in the Realms.

I have so many hopes for this book. Whether or not it answers those questions I am sure I will enjoy the lore to be found inside. I am counting the months until it hits the shelves at my local bookstore!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  09:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

"Sorry, turns out I was wrong about Tyranthraxus and the rest of the Seven Lost Gods. Looks like they didn't make it in (as with many Realms books, The Book That Shall Not Yet Be Named had too many words for the pages available). I know for sure that Eltab, Malkizid, and Bazim-Gorag are in, as well as an Impiltur/Demonlands fiendish personage whose name I forget (it's not Orcus), and there may be one or two I'm not remembering."

or more pricely it could be said that "The book that shall not be named had to FEW pages because we cut the length of our books........"

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  22:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they will be kind and post some of the excised material as a web enhancement.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2004 :  06:54:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would appear that WotC, at least in terms of FR products, has a policy that every release has a web enhancement also. Chances are that Champions of Ruin will be no different. I'm just wondering what the enhancement for Lost Empires will be ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  01:41:52  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So it looks like you are in luck!

-- George Krashos

Malkizid...? This isn't the same "Malkizid" who was in Forsaken House, is it? If it is, I definitely want to buy this sourcebook.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  02:56:15  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Malkizid...? This isn't the same "Malkizid" who was in Forsaken House, is it? If it is, I definitely want to buy this sourcebook.

Yes. :) Who was also first mentioned in the Player's Guide for 3.5.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  03:21:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh yes, Malkizid. A most interesting fellow indeed ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2004 :  02:13:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric can you answer one question about Champions of Ruin (its more confirming something than anything else)

PGTF was supposed to have a Fire Knife Assassin PrC in it but it was cut, Rich Baker said it would appear in a source book in 2005 now of the 3 announced source book for 05 Champions of Ruin would appear to be the most likely (The Fire Knives arent involved in Waterdeep and dont appear to be involved with any Ancient Empires or lost Civilizations)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  23:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We ussually get Matt Smiths "Whats coming up article" in first week of the month so hopefully we'll get our first look at CoR this week

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  09:03:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'm going to look this one over.

I want to "feel" surprised when I finally see CoR. I've been waiting for this particular FR release a little more eagerly than I did for LEoF.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  14:45:30  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I want to "feel" surprised when I finally see CoR. I've been waiting for this particular FR release a little more eagerly than I did for LEoF.

I'm looking forward to it also as I've only seen a very small part of it. Sometime it's nice not to get too much of a sneak preview - it keeps everything new and wonderful!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  15:33:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm looking forward to it also as I've only seen a very small part of it. Sometime it's nice not to get too much of a sneak preview - it keeps everything new and wonderful!

-- George Krashos

I'm not normally this strict on my not learning too much about an upcoming FR release, but given that the content of CoR is of special interest to me in particular... the longer I have to wait... the more I'll enjoy finally reading through it.

Or so I hope .

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  08:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Aprils whats coming up article has abit more CoR info

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407a

No extracts though

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  10:16:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The excerpt seems to indicate that one of the three new races is a draegloth? Did I read that right - it might actually be half-drow or half-demon or ... something. Hmm ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  12:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The excerpt seems to indicate that one of the three new races is a draegloth? Did I read that right - it might actually be half-drow or half-demon or ... something. Hmm ...

-- George Krashos

Im guessing that there using CoR as another way to reprint stuff from Monsters of Faerun in 3.5 Format, I bet ya the other 2 races are from Monsters of Faerun to

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  15:32:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Im guessing that there using CoR as another way to reprint stuff from Monsters of Faerun in 3.5 Format, I bet ya the other 2 races are from Monsters of Faerun to

Yes, one does get that sense. I'm still on the fence when it comes to CoR. I really only find myself interested in one chapter per this article's description with pershaps some mild interest in one other. The rest....

Regardless, thank you Dargoth for posting this link.
Go to Top of Page

Torkwaret
Seeker

Poland
82 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  21:58:44  Show Profile Send Torkwaret a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But what races can those be ??

I am browsing through MoF even now, and the only thing I can think of is Malaugrym.

What do you think Dargoth, Sirius, people ??

...Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin...
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  23:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dekanter Goblin
Bullywug
Siv
Malaugrym
Tainted One
Fey'ri (then again they do have a write up in ROF)
Stinger
Meazel

If I was putting my money on anything Id bet on

Drageloth
Malaugrym
Dekanter Goblin or the Fey'ri

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  23:51:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they expand on the fey'ri, then this book will become a must have for me. The fey'ri are one of my fave races in the Realms.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  00:21:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If they expand on the fey'ri, then this book will become a must have for me. The fey'ri are one of my fave races in the Realms.

That's pretty much the one way they can make this tome a lock for me even with my so so, at best, interest so far. The Fey'ri were fascinating to me before Richard Baker's trilogy. His work has only increased my interest.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  01:43:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's pretty much the one way they can make this tome a lock for me even with my so so, at best, interest so far. The Fey'ri were fascinating to me before Richard Baker's trilogy. His work has only increased my interest.

At the risk of being overly succint... Ditto.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  18:50:53  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I would like to know is why this type of book anyway. I mean, FR already has Lords of Darkness. What about the good organizations in the Realms? I want a source book on Harpers, Knights of Myth Drannor, Knights of Silverymoon, etc.

James
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  18:53:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

What I would like to know is why this type of book anyway. I mean, FR already has Lords of Darkness. What about the good organizations in the Realms? I want a source book on Harpers, Knights of Myth Drannor, Knights of Silverymoon, etc.

James

Champions of Valor is set for release in November.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  19:02:46  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... does anyone know what special NPCs will be featured and described in this sourcebook? I was wondering if Malkizid will get a write-up in this.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2005 :  20:28:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Hmm... does anyone know what special NPCs will be featured and described in this sourcebook? I was wondering if Malkizid will get a write-up in this.

That would be great if Malkizid (bonus points to those who correctly spelled his name without looking it up) was given a write-up. Since he's, most likely, going to be featured in the rest of Richard Baker's trilogy, I'd love to see a write-up in this tome.

However, DDH_101, I haven't seen anything concrete about NPCs that will be featured. Our mole planted at the boards that shall not be named, has not reported any table of contents being listed for this item. I wonder if his/her cover has been broken.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000