Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:27:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Casts scry hard-drive::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Careful Wooly, you'll get that fur all in a tangle. Yeah, I heard that there was a delay. Oh well, I guess I'll just have another look on my hard drive ... and see what I come across.

-- George Krashos

I told you all lawyers are Lawful Evil

Now if we could just find a Helm of Opposite Alignment for George then we could convert him to Chaotic Good

A Chaotic Good person wouldnt be restricted by those pesky NDA rules

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  09:22:58  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hope to have my hands on it in about 17 hours.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  11:19:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

If it's delayed by printing problems, you'll most likely be waiting until next week like the rest of us.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  13:07:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It is... I've been waiting for the release of this tome since they announced it. I so want to get my hands on it... I was hopeful last week, when Kent had mistakenly told me he would have it then. I was even more hopeful this week... I may be slightly crazed by the time it comes out next week!

It looks like our furry friend is charmed by that "One Book". It´s better that us finish a quest to destroy that book in the forges of the great lord Hasbroun, in the lands of the Wizards that dwell on the Coast! Let´s call, to fulfill that question, a Great Dale ranger, a moon elf of Cormanthor, a tethyrian knight, an old wizard, a shield dwarf from Citadel Adbar, and 4 halflings of Luiren!!!

Well, jokes apart, it´s a pity that I´m completely without funds this month.
I´m feeling that I will see this tome in july, or august, only...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  13:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Careful Wooly, you'll get that fur all in a tangle. Yeah, I heard that there was a delay. Oh well, I guess I'll just have another look on my hard drive ... and see what I come across.

-- George Krashos

Now if we could just find a Helm of Opposite Alignment for George then we could convert him to Chaotic Good

A Chaotic Good person wouldnt be restricted by those pesky NDA rules

Hrm... friendly judge... ex parte motion... subpoena... might just be possible... Oh, wait, durn, I think Krash is in Oz isn't he.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  02:26:20  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

If it's delayed by printing problems, you'll most likely be waiting until next week like the rest of us.

Its not fair!!!
Called the store before heading there after work, pushed til next week

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  02:46:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

Oh, wait, durn, I think Krash is in Oz isn't he.
Yes indeed, he does... as does myself and Dargoth .

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jun 2005 02:48:00
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  02:53:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The art is up though. :)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20050610b

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  06:04:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I normally ignore the art galleries... But this one I'm checking out.

I see a pic of Kyriani... That means she's most likely in the book. However, she doesn't look a thing like she did in the comics.

As usual, most of the artwork is utterly not impressive.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  06:33:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I see a pic of Kyriani... That means she's most likely in the book. However, she doesn't look a thing like she did in the comics.

I would agree.

Although, I always enjoy looking over Wayne Reynold's artwork. He can capture the "feel" of the Realms in most of his pieces.

Edited by - The Sage on 11 Jun 2005 06:34:10
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  07:04:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

I would agree.

Although, I always enjoy looking over Wayne Reynold's artwork. He can capture the "feel" of the Realms in most of his pieces.

And I, as well, concur. Although, with the exception of the changed hairstyle, I actually like this version of Kyriani better than the one in the comics, not to mention the one in Cloak & Dagger.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  07:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting theres a pick of Elaines crooked Paladin, I wonder if COS updates the Thornhold story at all

Hand of Tyr, a PrC?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  09:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Must...resist...checking...art...gallery

Dang, I hate it when the sourcebook is so far away and the gallery comes up. I'd much rather see the art for real alongside the accompanying text when it's in my hands but this is just too tempting to see how beautiful it will be

Looking VERY VERY nice!! I guess there are no forms of maps in the books? Still, I don't think Volo's Guide to Waterdeep can ever be beaten for that.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:31:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There were a couple of images I enjoyed. I like Laeral's image. Overall, nothing leaped out at me as horrific. There are many images I wish would be replaced by something else, but I expected that.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  12:58:33  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Oi! I'm not evil, never have been. I even looked to see what High Court Justice you could bring him before - but I hadn't heard of half of 'em. Last I remember, Brennan was just stepping down as CJ, and Gleeson replacing him. Kirby J is still there, so you might want to try it before him (if memory serves, he always was the 'odd duck' on the court )

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  15:12:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoo Hoo! A Force Grey member sited! I have always loved Force Grey.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  15:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wayne Reynold? You mean Wayne England? Wayne Reynolds only do Eberron and Core D&D as far as I have noticed.

Wayne England is one my my favorites as well. William O'Connor also captures FR very well. The artwork looks very nice
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  16:01:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

I guess there are no forms of maps in the books? Still, I don't think Volo's Guide to Waterdeep can ever be beaten for that.

I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a single page map of the city -- it's hard to delineate the wards and major streets without some sort of map. Plus, both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set included maps of the sewers -- so I'd expect to see that, as well.

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  16:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a lot of the artwook quite good, although some illustrations had a faint resemblence to artworks I remember seeing in various E-world publications. Perhaps Wayne Reynolds has been retained to provide art for Waterdeep?

To any extent, it looks like the content of the book should be pretty good based on the chapter progressions in the art section. Well, there goes another wad of cash to support Eric Boyd's children's college fund.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  17:14:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a single page map of the city -- it's hard to delineate the wards and major streets without some sort of map. Plus, both FR1 Waterdeep and the North and the City of Splendors boxed set included maps of the sewers -- so I'd expect to see that, as well.

I just read in Dragon magazine that the book contains an 8-part map! As to what format this is in, i don't know.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  00:02:56  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:

Wayne Reynold? You mean Wayne England? Wayne Reynolds only do Eberron and Core D&D as far as I have noticed.

Wayne England is one my my favorites as well. William O'Connor also captures FR very well. The artwork looks very nice

Would love to see more Mathew Wilson, really loved alot of the art he did for the Magic cards.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  03:04:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:

Wayne Reynold? You mean Wayne England?
That's the one.

Crazy old sage... .

quote:
Wayne Reynolds only do Eberron and Core D&D as far as I have noticed.
Indeed. But he's also done some work for the DL line in the past.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  03:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I just read in Dragon magazine that the book contains an 8-part map! As to what format this is in, i don't know.

well thats a pleasant suprise

After Serpent Kingdoms and Lost Empires of Faerun (2 products which Desperately need extensive map coverage)I was begining to think cartography was a lost art at WOTC

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  13:23:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which issue number?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  17:31:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An 8-part map, huh? Hmmm... One overall, one per ward, and one of the sewers, maybe?

Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  00:19:24  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's in this months Dragon Magazine. Uh, this month meaning July 2005. There's a short blurp about the upcoming products that states:

City of Splendors... blah blah blah. Including an eight-section full-color map of the city, designer Eric L. Boyd also provides numerous presitge classes... yada yada.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  02:58:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the Lord Boyd could drop a few tidbits our way about how the map is composed ... *nudge* *nudge* ... .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  12:45:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is out! Several copies of City of Splendors are on eBay this morning.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2005 :  12:51:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The book is out! Several copies of City of Splendors are on eBay this morning.

Sure they are not just pre-sales? Some Ebay sellers are quite adapt at burying that within a listing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000