Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 City of Splendors: Waterdeep sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  10:49:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

With the, albeit distant, upcoming release of the new Waterdeep tome, please pen any questions to the author, Eric L Boyd, within this scroll.

Welcome Eric For my first question, could you please tell us the format of the 'tour' of the city? I assume that there will be individual chapters for each city ward? Will maps be included as part of the chapter, or will a poster map be produced for the product?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  14:06:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make no assumptions. :-)

I can say a couple of things:

a) Be realistic about what can fit in a book. Even a rehash of every published bit of lore about Waterdeep with no updating wouldn't fit in a book 3 times this size.
b) I recognize that lots of people have the old material.
c) I recognize that lots of people DON'T have the old material.

I endeavored to give a complete, standalone product that will please old and new gamers alike and be useful in your campaigns. Plus, I like playing with old, neglected toys in new and interesting ways. ;-)

Other than that, it's far too early for me to talk about this book. Enjoy the upcoming Lost Empires of Faerun first. :-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  15:54:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to how detailed the Lords will be, and whether or not we'll see any new ones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  20:10:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
I can say a couple of things:

Otherwise the NDA gods would strike you down, correct?

quote:

I endeavored to give a complete, standalone product that will please old and new gamers alike and be useful in your campaigns.

Well, here's a general question that I think you should be able to answer now as it is not specific. What you just described above seems to be a balance. How was it walking the fine line of that balance to make the product appeal to old and new gamers alike?

Additionally, did you have any discussions with the two authors of the upcoming Waterdeep novel about their product so you were aware of what they were planning to do?

Thanks for any answers you can provide. And if you can't answer, I'll understand although Faerun's Gods will still strike you down.

SB
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  20:22:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

[Well, here's a general question that I think you should be able to answer now as it is not specific. What you just described above seems to be a balance. How was it walking the fine line of that balance to make the product appeal to old and new gamers alike?

Challenging, but fun. :-)

quote:
Additionally, did you have any discussions with the two authors of the upcoming Waterdeep novel about their product so you were aware of what they were planning to do?

Yes. :-)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  20:26:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd
Challenging, but fun. :-)

Thank you for that prompt and diplomatic answer. Why didn't a certain Commander in Chief look to you for Secretary of State?

quote:

quote:

Yes. :-)

There you have it folks. EB not only knows the details of the Waterdeep sourcebook, but the novel as well. And he's smiling right now as he looks at the computer screen with the knowledge that we do not. I can tell...I can tell....

SB
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  14:11:33  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric.

Why the hell wasn't the Waterdeep sourcebook prioritized to be published before Sharn!?!

Seriously with the City of Splendors and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep how much is left to detail without rehashing old material? Will we see a new map?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  15:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much is left to detail? At a guess, Waterdeep has three 160-page sourcebooks' worth of published lore, at least that number of existing but unpublished lore, and could easily support six books' worth of new lore. We know little about most of the buildings, the temples, the past Lords, the workings of the guilds, local speech and traditions, etc. etc.

The new City of Splendors, the third book announced of that name, will have to cover existing ground, timeline updates, new rules stuff, *and* actual new content. Some job fitting that in 160 pages, and as I said elsewhere, few other than Eric could do it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  17:34:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Seriously with the City of Splendors and Volo's Guide to Waterdeep how much is left to detail without rehashing old material?

I dare you to ask Ed Greenwood that question.

Additionally, there was a module (Waterdeep), something like a module (Knight of the Living Dead), the old FR1 Waterdeep and the North, a boxed set that partially covered it (City System, I believe), some novels... I'm sure I've forgotten some of the many things that covered Waterdeep.

Oh, and Steven Schend's Realms By Night articles were pure Waterdhavian lore -- not a bit of crunch to be found!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Dec 2004 17:39:22
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  20:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will this new Waterdeep sourcebook have information on Xanathar's Guild, Knights of the Shield and other corrupt, illegal and anti-Lords organizations? What about Watedeep Economy?

I wished on the seven sisters
Bring me the wisdom of the age
All that's locked within the book of secrets
I longed for the knowledge of the sage...

Fires at Midnight, Blackmore's Night
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  21:40:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

What about Watedeep Economy?

D&D rules do not support any economy, the best you can do is take a hammer, house rule, or use magic for any realm to have a ciable economy.

Unskilled labor does not earn enough to live, skilled labor costs too much to employ. Farmers make farm too much if skilled and doe if unskilled.

The price lisit is badly flawed, even if there was not the wage scale set. A mule should cost more for example. There is only one way to have Waterdeep or any other city work, say it works.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  18:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's exactly what i'am trying to say. No D&D sourcebook lacks magic items and prestige classes but what about more useful information for players and dm's? Economy, local politics, current situation, crime\illigal business - will these aspects be uncovered in Waterdeep sourcebook?

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  19:36:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many do not find the Economy interesting, also rather difficult to do. Realm Building certainly does interest some games, that it be somewhat believable, what leather was used and how much does it cost the farmer to raise a chicken, etc, the list is endless. It as best as I can tell this aspect is of interest to a very low percentage of gamers, I estimate less then 2 percent.

As for "local politics, current situation, crime\illigal business" I would expect and hope that major NPCs and groups would be discussed in some detail after all that is often something included in many source books. The degree of detail of course varies. I suspect little would be discussed about how much a crime takes its toll on the Economy for some of the reasons I already posted.

I have tried to put together a few models for a gaming world economy however can not do so using core rules price schedual. Basic premise that grain has the same price on the farm as after being transported 100 miles to a city is one of the clear problems that exist. There have been over the years certain types of goods do have different prices in regions but even those models (that I have seen) do poorly (or not at all) with cost of transport.

If I could come up with a sellable product of how fantasy econemies can work with the core price list I would already be getting rejection slips. Of course changing the price lists, wages, cost of transport to be adaptible to D&D is slightly easier, but less marketable.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  20:01:33  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMO the level of detail that one needs to create - for the players - a believable economic environment, and provide possible adventuring scenarios is to know for the regions (as detailed in PGtF) what the major import and export items are. The map presented in FRCS is helpfull, but a listing would be more useful.

Creating a model more detailed than this level of import/export is bound to fail since one cannot properly estimate/calculate the effects of magic, monsters, etc on the economy. Earth based models would fail since those variables do not exist.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 11 Dec 2004 20:03:06
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  20:07:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

1) Perhaps already stepping over the bounds of the NDA, but what will be the actual year (DR) for the book?

2) Will recent events (as in Threat from the Seas), the rogue dragons, etc be included? (guess some of this depends on the answer on question 1...)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  20:28:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elmonster

Economy, local politics, current situation, crime\illigal business - will these aspects be uncovered in Waterdeep sourcebook?

Past books have covered all of these, except for the first one...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  20:40:39  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

IMO the level of detail that one needs to create - for the players - a believable economic environment, and provide possible adventuring scenarios is to know for the regions (as detailed in PGtF) what the major import and export items are. The map presented in FRCS is helpfull, but a listing would be more useful.

Creating a model more detailed than this level of import/export is bound to fail since one cannot properly estimate/calculate the effects of magic, monsters, etc on the economy. Earth based models would fail since those variables do not exist.

A listing would be an added and certainly more sellable then Fantasy Economy in greater detail.

I though disagree that monsters, goblin and orcs, etc. raiding the out laying farms can be calculated with in ranges. BD&D in effect offered some ideas on realm income based on how well one ruled of course not on the individual level. Rule poorly and your subjects even revolt against you.

The effects of magic certainly can be calculated as well within a certain range. Increase of crop yields by a Druid (though why one would want to) is a described spell effect available to them, there is also a base price of how much one should pay for such a spell. Transport of goods also can be handled the use of teleport, portals, magically enchanted transport (wagons that can carry more then normal or move faster then normal) also can be priced.

Things like crop yields could be imported from real life or could be set by Fantasy rule. Crops can be diease resistant, all chickens dress out as 3 pounds and turkeys (if they exist) at 15 and so on. One could also add varibles based on trade if only Silverymoon has turkeys they are less expensive there then any place else.
The time to cure a hide for leather does not need to refect reality either, nor the food required to be eaten (which the rules clearly underfeed large animals).

It is not that it can not be done, all varibles can be calculated for, magical food including stone to flesh for example, rather that such detail is generally not desired and for a whole world would tend to run up the page count. It (if ever written) certainly would have to allow for many varibles that effect the characters living on the world. Does the strong patrol of one Barony cause the goblins to strave to death or move, do the orcs sack the castle of another killing most of the farmers but take away food and weapons? These things can be calculated if base rules are set, a accurate estimate of entire population is incorporated. The biggest problem with this approch most likely is bookkeeping , the second most likely the dice rolls for random events.

Various fans have tried to do segments of economy, mining for example. The last model I looked at did not cosider magic, however magic certainly could be added.

It is not that it can not be done, it is just it is not important enough to enough to justify it being done. If the PCs are told that the meal that normally cosys 1 spnoe costs 5 gp it tends to be the PCs more concerned about the reason for high food price, not concerned about paying for the meal (most likely adding a tip if carring average wealth). High prices in most games are an adventure hook, the Red Dragon is burning the Western field because <insert reason> so local food supplies are low. Mayhaps you can solve the problem for us, we will be eternally greatful to you type thing.

Go to Top of Page

Elmonster
Acolyte

Russia
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  20:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Elmonster's Homepage Send Elmonster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Past books have covered all of these, except for the first one...

Yes the have, but the were 2e AD&D. What about changes brought by 3.5. Any significant changes in City of Splendors or everything as it was before?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  04:40:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Eric,

1) Perhaps already stepping over the bounds of the NDA, but what will be the actual year (DR) for the book?

Good question. Considering he's consulted with the authors of the novel tie-in, I think that will depend on when the novel is set.

quote:

2) Will recent events (as in Threat from the Seas), the rogue dragons, etc be included? (guess some of this depends on the answer on question 1...)

I don't see how the former cannot be addressed. As for the latter, I'm getting the impression more and more that the Year of Rogue Dragons will not affect some areas of Faerun as strongly as others.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  15:12:52  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow!!!

Nice cover!!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/881620000

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:34:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow!!!

Nice cover!!

There's a thread somewhere in the forum where others expressed their delight at the cover. Does anyone know the name of the artist?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  22:02:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wow!!!

Nice cover!!

There's a thread somewhere in the forum where others expressed their delight at the cover. Does anyone know the name of the artist?

I'm sure the artist's parents know his or her name, as well as the artist themself and the friends and associates of the artist.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  22:37:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anyone know the name of the artist?

Well tried to search up an answer , however failed to get a hit. It might be posible was art in house that they finaly decided to use or was a new comission. Until we can find credits, we need to wait to discover the Identity.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  03:51:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm sure the artist's parents know his or her name, as well as the artist themself and the friends and associates of the artist.

Oh... There's always one in every group .

As for the artist's name, I've put the request out on every board I know that deals with the Realms in some regard. Something is bound to come up eventually, or, we'll learn that particular tidbit here in the future.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  06:23:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oh... There's always one in every group .

As for the artist's name, I've put the request out on every board I know that deals with the Realms in some regard. Something is bound to come up eventually, or, we'll learn that particular tidbit here in the future.

Indeed, the info will eventually turn up... Within about 24 hours after the book comes out!

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  08:00:12  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow!!!

Nice cover!!

Aye, that is a nice cover.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  16:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also desire to see the effects of the shahuagin attack on Waterdeep harbor described in the sourcebook. I suspect the lords must have come up with some contingency to prevent this sort of attack in the future.

As the city has been soundly fleshed out in previous material, I'd like to see more about Waterdeep's holdings outside the city. Does Waterdeep plan on extending its borders? How do Waterdhavians feel about the formation of the Silver Marches? What is the status of New Waterdeep, its colony in the Maztica?

A nicely detailed timeline would also be greatly appreciated.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  17:09:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just called my FLGS... He says there was some problem at the printers, and that the tome is being pushed back until next week.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  19:24:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just called my FLGS... He says there was some problem at the printers, and that the tome is being pushed back until next week.

That's unfortunate.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  23:10:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That's unfortunate.

It is... I've been waiting for the release of this tome since they announced it. I so want to get my hands on it... I was hopeful last week, when Kent had mistakenly told me he would have it then. I was even more hopeful this week... I may be slightly crazed by the time it comes out next week!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  00:55:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Careful Wooly, you'll get that fur all in a tangle. Yeah, I heard that there was a delay. Oh well, I guess I'll just have another look on my hard drive ... and see what I come across.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000