Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ao's master?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  17:28:37  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Could anyone tell me who the being is that Ao refers to at the end of Waterdeep? It seems to point to a higher being.
thanks

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  17:37:57  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Could anyone tell me who the being is that Ao refers to at the end of Waterdeep? It seems to point to a higher being.
thanks

I always figured it was one of two possibilities. Me, or the fabled DM Continuum.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  17:50:32  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with delusions of grandeur my friend. Next time you reply to a post of mine please refer to me as your Highness

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  19:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed this question has arisen before, it is often said that the reader is the person to whom Ao is speaking. I believe this is stated in the official Realms FAQ.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  19:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Indeed this question has arisen before, it is often said that the reader is the person to whom Ao is speaking. I believe this is stated in the official Realms FAQ.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  20:12:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faiths and Avatars from 2e also said it's: A Luminous Being. What ever the hells that means. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2004 :  21:21:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Faiths and Avatars from 2e also said it's: A Luminous Being. What ever the hells that means. :)

It means Yoda. "Luminous beings are we."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  03:00:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Good one Wooly .

I've spoken at length about this before in another scroll here at Candlekeep. Until I find it though, I will simply state that it's been "unofficially" theorised by some designers that, those "luminous beings" are actually personifications of the multiverse itself. And that, each and every "High God" in each and every setting is merely a servant of these hyper-dimensional beings.

Granted it's an old theory, but it is the one theory that appears to have survived the test of time and edition upgrades successfully, while other theories have been disproved by changes to the core concepts of each setting.

I don't particularly like the theory completely myself. It has some "accurate points", but it leaves a lot in the multiverse and each individual cosmology, unexplained. But then... isn't that the point?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  03:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Good one Wooly .

I'm afraid the Furry One is just copying someone else. Would the court care to review the evidence?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  03:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I'm afraid the Furry One is just copying someone else. Would the court care to review the evidence?

Well, you can't plagiarize yourself...

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 May 2004 : 18:15:4

quote:

"Luminous beings are we . . . ."

Lurue's Horn, you're right! Ao's superior is none other than Yoda!

That's the first direct Yoda reference on the page that I could find.

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  04:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick, someone cast magic circle against lawyers.

(I guess I was asking for it with that "court" crack. )

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  05:43:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never claimed to have thought that one up. It was a good one the first time around, so I decided to toss it out again.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  07:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't particularly like the theory completely myself. It has some "accurate points", but it leaves a lot in the multiverse and each individual cosmology, unexplained. But then... isn't that the point?

Why don't you like the theory? What points does it leave unexplained?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  12:13:31  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick, someone cast magic circle against lawyers.

(I guess I was asking for it with that "court" crack. )

Hey, don't do that.... as far as I'm aware, the only way to circumvent a Barrier of NDA is with a Talisman of the Attorney (aka, The Business Card) - though, that only works for the wielder of the Talisman since it's use automatically invokes Magic Circle of Client Confidentiality whether or not the Tome of Retaining Agreement is signed or not.

Fortunately, there is also the Tome of the Pro Bono which negates application of the relic, Immovable Statement of Fees Owed. And the latter, not even AO's overlord can overcome (Just to bring this back 'on topic' even if by a thumb.)

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2004 :  14:34:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

Why don't you like the theory? What points does it leave unexplained?

I'll discuss this with you when once I get home . If I were to begin posting the major points I have issue with here, Alaundo will have the Scribe Behaviour Enforcement Division chase me down...

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  18:03:59  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i dont particularly like the idea that Ao's 'master' is essentially the reader...i dont really kno y...it just leaves me a bit unsettled

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Whenever magic one doth weave, 'tis never ever wise to deceive - Elminster

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2004 :  20:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracandos the Spellsage

i dont particularly like the idea that Ao's 'master' is essentially the reader...i dont really kno y...it just leaves me a bit unsettled

Well met

I couldn't agree more, Dracandos. To me, Ao is the highest power, there is no greater. As I see it, Ao is a force, a power, not a being as such. The booming voice of command and power, if you will.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  03:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
exactly! that is precisely my view of Lord Ao as well. very well said!

Death strips away the masks men don to hide their true nature - The Slayer's Guide to Undead

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos shall be sown from their passage - So Sayeth the Wise Alaundo

Strength and power come from knowing and controlling what others do not, but never reveal all that you know - Vecna

I have been known to cast a blue mage spell now and again - Dracandos the Spellsage
Go to Top of Page

Forlorn
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  21:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Forlorn's Homepage Send Forlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, who is his master is not known but him having a master reminds my player characters that their deeds are as meaningless as the feelings of a bug to us, according to the plots going over the multiverse.
Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  21:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm interesting take forlorn

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  06:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm . . . that's odd, Alaundo contradicting established Realmslore. Where'd I put that detect doppelganger scroll . . . ?

Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  06:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always read it as being that AO has a superior, an overgod over him, just as he is over the gods of toril. I would also assume the "god being" over AO has one over it as well, and so on, a massive beuracrecy, with levels and levels that any part of the chain can not percieve the levels above it's master, and have no desire to see below their underlings.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  10:31:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmm . . . that's odd, Alaundo contradicting established Realmslore. Where'd I put that detect doppelganger scroll . . . ?

::chuckle::

Well met

Oh, "established Realmslore" may be a little strong, my dear Bookwyrm. I believe it to be just a wild stab in the dark from some crazy scholars. Why, I was only just sat sipping tea with Ao an afternoon or two back when he insisted that no greater pow..... ahem, anyway

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Dracandos the Spellsage
Senior Scribe

466 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  17:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Dracandos the Spellsage's Homepage Send Dracandos the Spellsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Capn Charlie

I always read it as being that AO has a superior, an overgod over him, just as he is over the gods of toril. I would also assume the "god being" over AO has one over it as well, and so on, a massive beuracrecy, with levels and levels that any part of the chain can not percieve the levels above it's master, and have no desire to see below their underlings.

aye, i agree. but this so called 'established Realmslore' is saying that the being above Ao, is basically us, the reader, the dm. which i dont particularly like the idea of...eh no matter

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  18:17:56  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

::chuckle::

Well met

Oh, "established Realmslore" may be a little strong, my dear Bookwyrm. I believe it to be just a wild stab in the dark from some crazy scholars. Why, I was only just sat sipping tea with Ao an afternoon or two back when he insisted that no greater pow..... ahem, anyway

I again point to Faiths & Avatars from 2e where it says AO does have a superior called "A LUMINOUS BEING." No TSR and WOTC really hasn't explained who or what they is and yes one of the theories is that it's the Reader or the DM but this could or could not be true. But that line of text in F&A is official canon text. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  21:55:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is what I was referring to.

Go to Top of Page

Forlorn
Seeker

59 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  22:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Forlorn's Homepage Send Forlorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are mystries in the multiverse that cannot be explained. There are also mystries in Fearun theology that cannot be explained.
Ao has a superior but what kind of a being is a mystery as well as many others known or forgotten in millenias.
Mortal life is meaningless in the course of time and the plots going on in multiverse. Ao is the ultimet power of realms that is it noone knows better unless he knows sth specific involving planescape. And hence planescape is not our issue, we shoukd have no questions about Ao cuz we can only recieve speculations instead of facts.
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  22:43:45  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been some interesting points put forward, but if anyone else says that Ao's master is the reader I shall stamp my feet and sulk

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2004 :  23:15:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, and here I was daydreaming about ordering Ao around.

Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  03:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly I believe it was meant that the reader/DM/author is Ao's master. Why you ask? Because a reader uses their imagination to dream up what the FR looks like, the DM molds the FR for their campaigns, and authors especially detail the history and the characters and keep the setting moving forward.

I don't think it should have been mentioned in a book but I do understand why. Its to remind us that we can be a part of Toril in any way we like, and if we strive enough either to be an author or a game designer we can have an even greater impact on Toril.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2004 :  04:50:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Forlorn

There are mystries in the multiverse that cannot be explained. There are also mystries in Fearun theology that cannot be explained.
Ao has a superior but what kind of a being is a mystery as well as many others known or forgotten in millenias.
Mortal life is meaningless in the course of time and the plots going on in multiverse. Ao is the ultimet power of realms that is it noone knows better unless he knows sth specific involving planescape. And hence planescape is not our issue, we shoukd have no questions about Ao cuz we can only recieve speculations instead of facts.

Ao is master of Realmspace only... this includes the Realms cosmology. It's entirely possible that, these luminious beings that are referred to in the Faiths and Avatars tome, are merely the overgods of the "multiverse" which contains Realmspace. Therefore, of all the inhabited worlds in this "multiverse" (remembering that in 3e, all settings occupy their own multiverses), it's just as possible that there are many creator gods of many different worlds who all likely take direction from these overall overgods...

It can be assumed from both novel and sourcebook material, that these overgods strive for balance in their "multiverse". So, when the domain (Realmspace) that is under the watchful eye of their underling, Ao, suddenly developed problems of a godly concern, Ao was responsible for setting his own house in order at the behest of these luminious overgods. Which also partly explains why he had to convene with these beings at the end of the trilogy.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000